Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Thems is rally style. Mostly solid for strength. OZ and Sparco make the replica stuff (they make real ones as well, but most of what you'll see are style wheels), Method and Braid make the real stuff. The real ones are going to be smaller on purpose because they're designed for rally gravel tires and smaller packaged brakes (think 15-16") but they offer some larger stuff. I'm sure there are others for both categories, but those are the names I know.

Why would they use smaller brakes on a rally car? I’d think with how much hard braking is in rallying you would still want nice big brakes. Or is there a plus side to smaller ones?

Do real rally Subarus use 16” still? I think the WRX and STI are up to 17 or 18 now from the factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mekilljoydammit posted:

The rules for actual stuff is that 15x7 is the wheel size for gravel, and 18x8 for tarmac.

I'm not an expert on actual use on gravel but looking at actual hardware, I'm not sure gravel is actually that much easier on brakes than tarmac. At the pro level the discs are as wide as will fit, water cooled calipers and water spray is common, etc.

I see, didn't think about regulations specifying exact wheel size but of course they do. Makes sense that way.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know this is the opposite of the way most people go, but I'm wondering if there would be a problem going from 16x7.5J +55 to 16x6.5 or 7 +55. I just found out that my project car's tires are about as old as my forum account and I have a set of high-performance summer tires for my Impreza that I don't really have much of a use for because up here it never gets hot enough that I can't run the Nokian all-weathers that are currently on there. Same tire diameter, same wheel diameter, but too narrow for the wheels currently on the project car, and the bolt pattern on the wheels for the Impreza is 5x100 rather than 5x114.3.

I feel like traction shouldn't be an issue because it's still going to be better than your standard all-seasons and the load rating from the manufacturer fits, but I've never shopped for wheels before so I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing in terms of fitment concerns. If this would work, is there a place I can search for models and years of cars based on their center bore, offset, and wheel size? I'm thinking I'll go to a pick and pull and buy a set of wheels for <$100, then if I eventually want to get different wheels I can sell them for about what I paid.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

They're 205/55R16, stock tires on the car are 225/50R16, I asked some other people with the same car about it and they said that putting 205s on caused them to stretch enough to have poor traction. I know that it can also vary by tire model but I'm not finding anywhere on Hankook's site that lists the acceptable widths for them, they're Ventus V12 Evos.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Alright, guess I'll do that then, saves me a bit of money for now even. I'll just need to find another set of wheels by September or so to put my new winter tires on.