Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Wheels eh? Only cool one I have is this.

... which, well, the implications of the bit on the right make it a bit tricky to use. :D

(seriously thinking of designing a Panasport-esque 5 or 6 spoke job to take roundy-round derived rim halves but that's a few race cars down the road)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

um excuse me posted:

Everything I've ever heard for center lock wheels is expensive. How do you even put that shaft onto the spindle to use that wheel?

So, the right side of that flange is the part that the brake rotor and wheel bolt to. The left side, there's two light colored parts? Those are where bearing races for taper bearings go, and the farthest most thing from the end of that is a 2" thread for a locknut. Axle spins inside the knuckle like a FWD hub/axle, just much larger diameter.

It's all expensive enough that I seriously think I could be bucks ahead by getting a CNC lathe and doing more axles myself.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

um excuse me posted:

Yeesh. I once looked up pricing for center lock because I change my wheels about 25 times a year and it would be soooo much faster. I saw the price and audibly yelped and startled myself to the point where I laughed and hit back on my browser.

It's worse for the true racing stuff as opposed to the conversion bits that you just bolt on. So much worse. Some suspension geometry stuff is hard to impossible to do otherwise though... name of the game is how far out you can push the lower ball joint, and by putting the bearings inboard like that you can get to absolutely stupid amounts of offset.

This is what I am currently kinda lusting after for a centerlock wheel. I'm thinking if I had the centers CNC machined to use cheaper rim halves it might not be that bad though.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Wrar posted:

Is there a better answer for the question "I want light wheels that don't suck" than the Enkei RPF1?

Only if you're prepared to spend more money.

... which might be why I have a bunch of CAD models for stuff to fit RPF-1s to a 1st gen RX-7.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

For argument's sake, how do you make a flat wheel look good? I'm dicking around with some design stuff and ... have a handle on the engineering but not the aesthetics, and dish and leaving lips has serious suspension geometry implications.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

So basically I have a long term design / fab project for a tube chassis 1st gen RX-7. God knows if I'll ever get to it, but doing design work on it keeps me out of trouble. I'm kinda musing over making wheel centers for 3-piece wheels on top of everything else. I had been thinking something like the Panasport ones I posted earlier but I dunno.

Scrub radius and all the compromises it forces (kingpin inclination etc etc) is the big thing, especially with the big slicks.

Modern Trans Am stuff ends up running BBSes with the centers bolted to the outside of the wheel halves and everything else done to push everything out as far as possible - like http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/chevy/1370370015/1370370015lb.htm But I kinda don't want to just run BBSes.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

um excuse me posted:

That's actually the way they are mounted from the factory. My LM's were bolted with the face on the outside. I reversed them to get the tire further out. Look at this way, do what makes the car faster first, worry about looks later. I guarantee you that your track times will do all the talking. As far as design aesthetic. Look at what Advan does with some of their stuff. They're spokes actually extend from the rim. They concave the bolting face to make it a "normal" offset. If you got rid of the concave, you could be mounting +20/+30. But don't try and reduce scrub radius too much, the gained track width will actually improve handling up to a certain point.

There's a guy in my autox club who runs a street modified first gen RX-7. The slicks he runs must stick out of the fender 40 or 50mm. He regularly spanks modified Z06s.

Tradeoffs between scrub radius and track width is only true if the suspension is laid down in stone - instead, as I'm doing it, wheel shape determines where the brake caliper/rotor can go, which determines where the pivot points for the control arm can go, and longer control arms pay dividends. This is intended for a GT-class car, so maximum track width is rules defined, and for that matter there's not too much in the way of available tire options. The practical wheel size is 16x10 front, 16x12 rear.

The way I'm looking at it is that if I'm doing my own wheel centers to get caliper clearance the way I want it for a given offset (lots) then I have freedom to make them look like anything I want. So given that, the thought then gets to "what styles look best with offsets where there's no lip whatsoever"? I could conceivably just find or copy some BBS E87s but there's more styles than just BBS. I know how to do the functional engineering side of things, but aesthetics aren't necessarily my strong suit.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Just some solidworks doodling. May instead look into what real E50 centers cost.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah, the Jongbloed 557s could work. Basketweave BBS style stuff is growing on me the more I play with it in CAD too.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

That's... something. Going from the dimensions I know for the wheel halves, I can get everything to a range of where I want it probably with normal dimension E50s... something like that and the wheel bolts would be interfering with the caliper.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Need an opinion:

These are my 3 piece BBS RS's:

If I have it taken apart I can change the offset for it correct?

If there's replacement barrels (the not-middle-part) then yes. I know the motorsports BBSes have available barrels, I'm not sure about the RS ones though.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

um excuse me posted:

I can't think of a wheel that has more barrel options. A few shops sell aftermarket barrels for them in all sorts of weird sizes like these triple step barrels that allow you to mount 18in tires to a 16 inch face

I guess I'm not really surprised but my BBS knowledge pretty much begins and ends with the 16" motorsports wheels - E50/55, E26, E87, E05...

Currently working on a modified E50 center in CAD. 9" backspacing on a 10" wheel without anything sticking out past the tire, lol.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

There's highfalutin racing stuff too, but $

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why would they use smaller brakes on a rally car? I’d think with how much hard braking is in rallying you would still want nice big brakes. Or is there a plus side to smaller ones?

Do real rally Subarus use 16” still? I think the WRX and STI are up to 17 or 18 now from the factory.

The rules for actual stuff is that 15x7 is the wheel size for gravel, and 18x8 for tarmac.

I'm not an expert on actual use on gravel but looking at actual hardware, I'm not sure gravel is actually that much easier on brakes than tarmac. At the pro level the discs are as wide as will fit, water cooled calipers and water spray is common, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Might as well crosspost since I think this is cool.

Race car candidate wheel - Advanti Storm S1 in 15x7

Not particularly good 3d scan plus CAD curve fit

Curve generated by curve fit overlayed around brake stuff