Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BlackMK4 posted:

6UL is cheap, light, and has optimized offsets / sizes but I've heard complaints of bending easily (compared to something like the RPF1) on non-Miata weight cars.

RPF1s aren't exactly the strongest wheels out there either. We noticed there was a problem when a brake caliper started rubbing the barrel

nt03s held up much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Enkei vr5? 15x6.5 4x100 +38, under 150 a wheel.

http://enkei.com/shop/performance/vr5/

And beaten.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Laserface posted:

Is there a 'standard' tyre size for rims? eg 255 = 8.5" wide rim or something of sorts?

my evo has 245/40/18s and they are very slightly stretched. I need to replace 2 tyres, but I also want to get new wheels in the future and they will be wider wheels (9.5")

So Im thinking I get 255/40/18s or even 265s now and put them on the 8.5" wheels and then swap them to the new wheels when I get them

or i guess the AI option is to get super fast wearing tyres and wear them out before I get the new wheels :v:

The specs tab on tirerack shows recommended rim width as well as the actual, measured tread width and casing width, and it does really depend on the specific tires.

Ideally, for the best support of the tire, response, and performance you want the tire to be a touch narrower than the rim. So say you wanted an RE71R in 265/35-18

Measured tread width on that is 9.7" so I would put that on either a 10 or 10.5" wide wheel.

But then take this hankook all season in the same size

Tread width of only 9.1" so that would be better on a 9 or 9.5" wheel and a little narrow for the 10.5.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A high end wheel wouldn't be dual drilled.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Enkei makes a lot of 17x8 +45 wheels. I'd go a touch wider though, like 8.5 or even 9 depending on the tire.