Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifisto

UPDATE:contest is over (congrats punchymcpunch!) but the font project is still under way, feel free to join in!

"but manifisto," you are already asking, "doesn't byob already have a font? what about comic sans?" my impulse is just to sort of smile nervously, same as any other time a voice speaks to me out of nowhere. but okay, disembodied voice: I think we can do better. and by better I mean "better," which generally means we're forced to pretend it's good because it's our own fault.

let's create a font! post itt to request a typeface character and I will assign you one, then you interpret that character in an image and post it. then you can request another one if you want. this may not be the best way to handle it but maybe we have a better chance of making something like a full character set rather than everyone wanting to do 4, 2, 0, 6, 9, and &.

Q and A

Q: what then? will the font pictures be aggregated together into an actual font that I can install on my computer?

A: . . . no, probably not. that's a lot of work and requires skills I don't currently have. but if the results turn out amazing maybe somebody will be moved to do it.

Q: format? size? shape restrictions?

A: if your character is vaguely centered within some type of squarish region it will probably play more nicely with other characters. format: some kind of bitmap. size: up to you, if you are the type that prefers to have a number try a 400px by 400px canvas. colors: up to you.

Q: any font-designing tips to share? should we be working towards some type of unified aesthetic?

A: glad you asked! there are many nuances to font design. rather than list them all here I suggest you refer to this site for more comprehensive guidance

edit: Hero's Gallery

1 - Splatmaster -
2 - Jolo -
4 - FluffieDuckie -
5 - limeicebreakers -
A - blaise rascal -
B - alnilam -
D - drilldo squirt -
E - blaise rascal -
H - punchymcpunch -
I - luvcow -
J - luvcow -
K - City of Glompton -
L - City of Glompton's Dad -
N - Olive! -
P - Manifisto -
R - FutonForensic -
S - blaise rascal -
T - ulvir -
U - Manifisto -
Y - Jolo -
Z - TVsVeryOwn -
f- Olive! -
q - TVsVeryOwn -
s - punchymcpunch -
v - lmbo calrissian -
@ - ShinyBirdTeeth -
# - TVsVeryOwn -
? - Manifisto -

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
are we still not allowed to make all the letters in the font out of penises?

asking for a friend

edit: also sign me up for a letter, i promise not to make it out of penises

unless its ok to make it out of penises

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 14, 2018

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

are we still not allowed to make all the letters in the font out of penises?

asking for a friend

your "friend" can have "I" (capital i). the degree of penisness is entirely up to his or her conscience and aesthetic sensibility.

MockingQuantum

if we're talking aesthetic sensibility, I'd say look to the renaissance masters

those guys loved them some classical greek weiners in art

nothin but greco roman dingledoos as far as the eye could see

heck they'd even paint some swingin beef on church ceilings, how's that for cheeky

thank you luvcow for the sig

Manifisto

MockingQuantum posted:

if we're talking aesthetic sensibility, I'd say look to the renaissance masters

those guys loved them some classical greek weiners in art

nothin but greco roman dingledoos as far as the eye could see

heck they'd even paint some swingin beef on church ceilings, how's that for cheeky

you're hired! you may have "D" (capital d), but like the sistine chapel of capital d.

(seriously though I don't know if you wanted one but you got one just in case, you're under no obligation)

(well, minimal obligation)

MockingQuantum

Manifisto posted:

you're hired! you may have "D" (capital d), but like the sistine chapel of capital d.

(seriously though I don't know if you wanted one but you got one just in case, you're under no obligation)

(well, minimal obligation)

you know what, that's the risk I take posting in the thread, so I'll shoulder the burden

I'm a godawful artist but i'm gonna wait a bit to see what other, more talented byobfolk produce and perhaps I will be struck with the wienerbolt of inspiration

edit: "burden" sounds negative but I love me some burdens, i grew up in the midwest, it's how we roll! so don't read that as negative

thank you luvcow for the sig

Manifisto

I feel like I should have emphasized, artistic talent is not required and may even be a hindrance

to prove it I whipped up a capital P

see how easy, low-effort, and mediocre that was? you can probably do better and, more to the point, probably can't do worse.

City of Glompton

i'll take a dumb letter that no one else wants

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

BoldFrankensteinMir

I would also like a letter.

And if we end up with a set we want to vectorize and make a real installable font from, I can help too. It's pretty easy with even a freebie like Inkscape (and then we could make laser-cut wood plaques that say Bless this Mess or whatever)

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

your "friend" can have "I" (capital i). the degree of penisness is entirely up to his or her conscience and aesthetic sensibility.

ok this is just a rough idea:

i wanted to do a duck, bc all the duck chat lately, but settled on a panda for now. when i get more free time later tonight i'll try to squeeze the panda into a better "I"

Manifisto posted:

I feel like I should have emphasized, artistic talent is not required and may even be a hindrance

see how easy, low-effort, and mediocre that was? you can probably do better and, more to the point, probably can't do worse.

the cool P! its like the fonzi of letters! :neckbeard:

edit: holy crapples someone bought me an av and its awesome! thank you kind person :)

Manifisto

City of Glompton posted:

i'll take a dumb letter that no one else wants

excellent! you get "K" (capital k), a letter that is considerably smarter than people generally think, as evidenced by their embrace of objectivism

Manifisto

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I would also like a letter.

welcome friend! you get "x" (lower case x), our first lower case letter. I swear I'm doing these randomly, there's no rhyme or reason.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

And if we end up with a set we want to vectorize and make a real installable font from, I can help too. It's pretty easy with even a freebie like Inkscape (and then we could make laser-cut wood plaques that say Bless this Mess or whatever)

thanks for the offer! it's fun to think about, if it happens it's great, but, you know, goon projects . . .

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

ok this is just a rough idea:

oh man this is great! I am a bit relieved I did my crappy one first and set the bar somewhere that is achievable for most of us . . .

and hey, we have already made "PI", that's, well, an actual word, we can make a word everybody!

alnilam

I'm ready for this i even have the proper clothes *puts on my letterman jacket*

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I will do a letter maybe even more than one.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

I'm ready for this i even have the proper clothes *puts on my letterman jacket*

yessss

your letter is "B" (capital b), as in, "Boy, that jacket looks sharp on you, maybe I'd look cool in something like that" (rummages in closet, comes up with junior varsity mathlete jacket) "this should do."

Manifisto

Jolo posted:

I will do a letter maybe even more than one.

great! ironically "more than one" suits your character perfectly, as you've drawn "2". our first numerical digit :toot:

Manifisto

assigned myself another character, ? (question mark)

I dunno, maybe it seemed a little better in my head

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

Manifisto posted:

That's looks like a nice p.

----------------

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

Manifisto posted:

assigned myself another character, ? (question mark)

I dunno, maybe it seemed a little better in my head

These are really good and I hope people with artistic talent help you do this.

----------------

Manifisto

drilldo squirt posted:

These are really good and I hope people with artistic talent help you do this.

thanks! I hope they do too *looks menacingly at the talented yobbers who have not yet signed up for characters*

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
We got really high and forgot most of the punctuation! I!m sorry about that! but you!ll just have to make do!

Also there are a few !!bonus!! letters in there!

FluffieDuckie

I'm very certain that all yobbers should help with this regardless of "talent" or "training"

or "tools"

sign me up, but make it an easy one

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

FutonForensic

yeah i'll help

Manifisto

FluffieDuckie posted:

I'm very certain that all yobbers should help with this regardless of "talent" or "training"

or "tools"

sign me up, but make it an easy one

:toot:

fluffieduckie you get "4", which is I hope p easy and also an honor in that it is the beginning of a certain special number (I won't spoil the surprise)

Manifisto

FutonForensic posted:

yeah i'll help

cool beans! you have drawn "R" (capital r), which is exciting because added to the letters already completed we can make "RIP", or even phrase it as a question, "RIP?" uh I suppose that could be interpreted as morbid, I was thinking more along the lines of "hey buddy would you like a RIP from this bong," but I guess sometimes it's nice to have more than one meaning to play with.

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
I want a weird letter like an esset or an o with a hat

Manifisto

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

I want a weird letter like an esset or an o with a hat

glad you're on board! as it happens you have drawn "@". sorry if that is not weird enough for you, I'm working with a pretty basic subset of the ascii characters, for example there is no interrobang which is probably my favorite punctuation mark. but artistic license is a powerful thing, I know of no specific rules saying you can't put a hat on an @ (in french, chat chapeau).

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Oh jeez, I can't decide if I'm talented enough for this thread. Could I have just half of a letter and someone else could handle the other half?

Manifisto

blaise rascal posted:

Oh jeez, I can't decide if I'm talented enough for this thread. Could I have just half of a letter and someone else could handle the other half?

if you can manage to launch a graphics program, literally any graphics program, you are more than talented enough for this thread!

I'm giving you "E" (capital e) with every confidence that you can handle it. a good thing about this letter for your purposes is that it's bilaterally symmetrical, so if you do the top half you can just mirror it to create the bottom! easy peasy, or should I say "E"asy peasy? (no, I should not)

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Can I have a character?

e: May I have a character?

Manifisto

Olive! posted:

Can I have a character?

e: May I have a character?

h*ck yeah you can/may! you get "f" (lower case), a necessity for spelling "friend," "french toast," and "ball of weed the size of the sun".

Android Blues

I would like the exclamation mark (!) please!

Manifisto

Android Blues posted:

I would like the exclamation mark (!) please!

good to have you joining us! however in the interests of fairness I need to check whether anyone wishes to fight you in hand-to-hand combat for that character.

anyone?

. . .

cool, looks like you're good. you have been randomly assigned "!" bang!

Android Blues

i actually did misread and thought i could request a specific character, but it appears my flagrant ignorance has served me well in this accommodating world yet again!!

punchymcpunch

yeh ill do one eh

Manifisto

punchymcpunch posted:

yeh ill do one eh

nice! your character is "H" (capital h). I dunno why this random number generator keeps sticking to the capital letters, maybe it thinks yobbers like to yell?

getting excited, we're starting to fill in the alphabet

Manifisto

note: your drawings do not even need to make sense. they can just be doodles.

punchymcpunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch

Manifisto posted:

note: your drawings do not even need to make sense

phew

• Locked thread