Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I found a little life drawing club which is good practice, and nice 4 socializing since it is in the basement of a bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there anything like how flash used to be for making basic animations? I think my eleven year old son would get a kick out of it, but it would need to be really simple to use, like flash was.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Cicero posted:

Is there anything like how flash used to be for making basic animations? I think my eleven year old son would get a kick out of it, but it would need to be really simple to use, like flash was.

If you've got a Mac, Tumult Hype is a pretty good Flash equivalent for HTML 5. I think the new version has shape tweening, but I haven't used it myself.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

imagine asking someone to draw a pegasus. nobody can draw a pegasus. my client is a lunatic. i believe pegasi never really took off in popular culture after like ancient greece, despite combining the best features of unicorns and dragons, because nobody can draw them.

FunkyAl posted:

I found a little life drawing club which is good practice, and nice 4 socializing since it is in the basement of a bar.
lol i miss life drawing. the last life drawing class i went to, before covid, the only seat left was next to an old man who only drew the tits on every model. just meticulously detailed tits, pose after pose, pages and pages of them, all tits all the time

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Is there an appropriate thread on here for workshopping and breaking ideas in a writer’s room type manner? I have some ideas I want to pitch and kick around in a constructive setting.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
This post is comin' at ya with mod approval!

I've written a few (mostly) true stories in GBS, and even self-published a book of them.. I miss the days of weird and wild stories in GBS, and wanted to bring a little of that back.

And now, I have a new one going in GBS - Stealing History: A Heist Story
A couple of goons collaborated with me for the cover and story art, so they share some of the blame :v:

I've never read much of CC, but this time around I'd like for y'all to take a look and let me know what you think.

I'm not a writer by any stretch of the imagination, but I think the stories are fun. Good dumb fun.

I know there are many areas I need to work on - too much passive voice, overuse of certain words, etc. - but I think my style fits the subject matter well enough.

Anyway, it'd be cool if you creatives could take a look and let me know what you think. Feel free to engage in silliness in the GBS thread, but for actual constructive criticism, please discuss that here instead.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey, can someone point me in the direction of a good thread for questions about.. um.
My partner has decided to have a go at selling her Artwork online.

Is there a good thread for that sort of thing?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

The Bananana posted:

Hey, can someone point me in the direction of a good thread for questions about.. um.
My partner has decided to have a go at selling her Artwork online.

Is there a good thread for that sort of thing?

The 3D Printer thread in HCH is having an active conversation about not only selling, but also pricing and figuring overhead and stuff. It’s almost inspired me to try my own hand at selling game pieces and what not. They are the friendliest of goons, too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973815&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=247

Edit: I apologize ahead of time for your hitherto unexpected 3D printer purchase. It just happens.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 22, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
There was this thread on the business side of art, but the last post is like a year old and I had to dig deep in my bookmarks to find it. Idk if some one more knowledgeable than me ought to relaunch the thread.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Is there a good thread round these parts for discussing performance art? Is that something appropriate for the this forum?

I don't have a lot of experience yet personally, i recently started learning silks and trapeze and maybe am interested in performing that when im good enough at it, but i am interested in what performance artists are doing, the process of creating acts, tips on taking that performance to the stage and doing it in front of a crowd, etc. Acting, recitals, singing, dancing, clowning, puppetry, whatever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a sculpting thread on the forums? can't find one that isn't adjacent to like, warhammer painting.

I want to pick it up as a hobby and was hoping there would be a good resource thread/place to post wip stuff

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

it is once again time for my favourite thing, creating an online art portfolio to sit for approximately three months before i delete it in a fit of paranoia. what are the cool portfolio sites nowadays?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Artstation is the digital art portfolio of choice at the moment.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

mutata posted:

Artstation is the digital art portfolio of choice at the moment.
oh i hadn't even heard of that one! thank you :h:

someday i hope for a new tumblr, a place where one can share art and get into incredibly stupid arguments with strangers simultaneously

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

With Twitter in the state it's in (and me having deleted that poo poo ages ago anyway), a few folks have trickled back to Tumblr. I've been looking at it as just a general posting place, but then I ask myself "what am I posting and why, though?" and I just end up doing nothing, lol.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

mutata posted:

With Twitter in the state it's in (and me having deleted that poo poo ages ago anyway), a few folks have trickled back to Tumblr. I've been looking at it as just a general posting place, but then I ask myself "what am I posting and why, though?" and I just end up doing nothing, lol.
lol thanks for this, it made me stop and think and realise that maybe my art is better off without being inextricably attached to my posts

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 8, 2022

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, no problem. Making stuff takes enough effort and energy as it is.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a strange fowl posted:

oh i hadn't even heard of that one! thank you :h:

its massive. epic owns it I think now

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I made a thread in SA-Mart for commissioning someone to make something like a banner to put in the OP of a thread of mine:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019039
I was told I might be able to get more eyes on it here. Let me know if anyone is interested in helping out with it!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm not sure what to do about my art thread! It's been a helpful therapy to post stuff and thoughts in it, but I'm gonna be sick to my stomach if my entire oeuvre of art get scalped into a garbage AI generator. I've been heavily considering scrapping it entirely the same way I did with my art Instagram.

This is a weird world we live in now, where I can't even claim ownership to the very pieces I create in this climate. This future sort of sucks and it feels like there's not much we can really do about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol what?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

It's ok, you can read it a second time if you didn't get it on the first pass ✌️

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh I got it. I just can’t tell if you are actually serious because lol.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i understand the concern. every time you draw a good picture, you've just created a brand new visual symbol. ai makes it so that the symbol you've made can then be taken and used for any other purpose without any legal recourse. it's sickening to imagine some of these potential misuses. good art usually has a lot of emotion tied up in it, it's understandable to be pained by the thought of the product of that emotion being taken and emotionlessly redistributed so that it can possibly be used to evil ends.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
People could steal your ideas before the program made it simple to do so. Helpfully, it can only recreate what you have already made, and not what you are going to.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I may be way off base, but my thought is: is it better for people to see and enjoy your art with the potential of it getting stolen, or to hide it away where no one looks at it? But I also don't make money from my artwork and am trying to get over my quirk of hoarding my physical pieces: I've found it difficult to even give away work to friends in the past.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As a commercial artist, I don't see a practical reason to post my art online anymore. No one ever cares and all it does it get a few likes. If I need a new job, I can apply without a public portfolio. At this point, the assholes building the art grinders are happy to steal anything that's online and tell any non artist walking by that I'm just being a big baby. They're banking on artists being too scared to pull their art. gently caress that poo poo.

Sure, art would get stolen here and there, and it's always been obnoxious, but individuals had to perpetrate the crime knowingly and deliberately. Also it wasn't a huge trend to unapologetically steal people's art. Now it's a couple steps removes and people are stoked to do it. Different thing completely.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I'd say one reason to maybe not pull down your public portfolio is maybe somewhere you apply might find it suspicious that you don't have a public portfolio with the years of activity you're claiming; maybe that makes them a place you didn't want to work for in the first place if they're going to hassle you with those sorts of questions but maybe its a consideration?

Also, perhaps more importantly, your professional pieces might serve as inspiration and reference for legitimate good faith human artists who take that inspiration and build off of it something amazing and that possibility is foreclosed forever if you pull your art from the internet. It's up to you but my suggestion is to put these two principles on balance and see which one feels more important.

I know as someone who commissions artists for OCs, concept art for my projects and D&D characters, I'd be completely lost without the literal treasure trove of art others have created before. There does not exist a single piece of art I own whose description document doesn't include at least some references drawn by others. I.e "Pose like this piece, a sword like in this one, elf ears like here, armour like here, proportions like this, expression like this..." Etc. A text description especially factoring in the sometimes multiple language barriers is woefully insufficient for getting what you want.

Personally in my experience as someone who commissions and has paid an embarrassing amount of money on them I honestly don't see AI being useful in the way most commissioners/clients might be tempted to think it useful, not in the long term anyways. It took me a while but eventually I learned I needed to spend more to get something that was more consistently what I wanted to save me money in the grand scheme of things (instead of spending 30$ five times trying to get an OC's design just right, spend 120$ to get it right immediately; boom saved 30$!).

The people using AI to avoid spending 30$ on a commission are not going to be happy with what they get if they have any taste or imagination; and the people wanting to avoid spending 500$ would be better served waiting patiently scrolling through twitter /r/hungryartists /r/starvingartists /r/artcommissions for affordable artists who have a style that matches their preferences.

But most importantly commissioning is to me a collaborative process and the best commissions are a result of the artist taking my ideas and feedback while putting their own spin on things, proposing their own ideas, and contributing about as equally to the final art piece; it's honestly such a magical feeling of pure serotonin for that to happen and I'm more than happy to pull out my wallet to engage in that give and take.

People who resort to AI are ultimately shooting themselves in the foot and denying themselves what to me is half of the entire point of commissioning art! Being able to TALK to someone about it and have them be like, "Omg so cool!" and validating(?) you.

Also having a second pair of eyes to act as a sort of editorial voice to put you in your place is also helpful, i.e the FFXIV tiktok: "Your clothes are unnecessarily complex and frustratingly vague!"

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone know about what an editor would cost for a 350 page technical (engineering) document?

The editing would mainly be grammar editing, adjustments to clarity, typesetting, etc. No need to verify material correctness or equations or charts or similar information, but the editor needs a sophomore-level understanding of electrical engineering, if relevant (mainly to ensure technical points get worded in a useful way and they use correct engineering terminology).

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Oh I got it. I just can’t tell if you are actually serious because lol.

Well I have aspergers syndrome so I sorta can't help but not be serious about my requests 🤷‍♂️

Thank you for the wisdom everybody, it helps ease my art mind :gbsmith:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i just hit an upload limit on artstation! will they let me upload more tomorrow, or am i limited to 5 projects?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

a strange fowl posted:

i just hit an upload limit on artstation! will they let me upload more tomorrow, or am i limited to 5 projects?

What sort of art do you do? :aaa:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

nvm it's just a 24 hour thing

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

having an out-of-body experience scrolling through curly fonts on dafont. all those fonts, all those curly letters meticulously crafted by all those people, building their own ephemeral frame around the language for others to use for just a moment in time

i had to make a font at university and it was loving terrible. it was terrible

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

the frilliest fonts spin me out the most. i find myself thinking, "who are you"

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i finally drew the pegasus for my friend and now they want me to draw a page that's all human faces they are trying to kill me

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
my biggest problem with artstation is i go to upload something and it shows me 100 different examples of how my art sucks

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Does anyone know of a good online poetry workshop? The kind of place that doesn't hold back and will tell you what sucks and why. I used to go to Poetry-Free-For-All but their connection isn't secure so I feel uncomfortable logging in again.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Al! posted:

my biggest problem with artstation is i go to upload something and it shows me 100 different examples of how my art sucks

Isn't it all flooded with AI art these days? Shouldn't judge yourself on a machine's output and all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

White Light posted:

Isn't it all flooded with AI art these days? Shouldn't judge yourself on a machine's output and all that

i honestly havent used it in years but that sounds about right