Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Id like something with a gallery layout like a deviantart type, but adaptable to mobile to be able to scroll through stuff an image at a time. Also combined with an ebay style space so you can easily auction originals or limited reproductions. (Writes all this down on a note and drops it in the programmers of twitter's suggestion box) (dusts hands and chuckles) and now all we can do is wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
the internet is just a long and unimaginably stupid book we're all writing together

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hello everybody! I posted a few questions in the question thread and got some nice answers, did some more work on my current project and wanted to post about it because I think it's actually really funny in a laugh-at-my-past-self way...and also my current self for the idiocy of the idea itself.

I don't know if that's actually a super common story because I don't hang with many creative types (I'm a Chemist in academia), so sorry if you've heard this a thousand times before. When I was 16, I started to write what we would now call fanfiction, but I didn't know the term back then. It was for Diablo 2, a game I was obsessed with for a long time, and I spent a lot of my early internet days on a German internet forum dedicated to discuss everything possible about the game.
I wanted to write something anyway for a long time and thought it would be a good exercise to start with a simple but compelling idea: what if the Necromancer's Golem could think and develop its own personality? I just started writing, very soon had like 10 one-page chapters, and decided gently caress it, I'll post this on the creative subforum of the forum I mentioned. People surprisingly didn't hate it, so I continued, and, well...it got a little out of hand.

I had some lulls in motivation as my life changed obviously drastically from when I was 16, and I changed a great deal myself as well, but it kept being and on-again-off-again hobby for me, as the forum experienced the upheaval of Diablo 3 coming out (which everyone of the conservative old guard of course hated), and the user base dwindled, so naturally my readership as well, not that it was THAT many people to begin with. Hard to tell, honestly. Some chapters would go uncommented, some would get three people saying they loved it, nothing making big waves but every comment meant a lot to me, so whenever I didn't write for months I felt a little worse and worse because I had SOMEONE wait for an update, then I'd sit down and write five more chapters eventually. Those started to become longer as well, as I stopped following the game's honestly really dumb story to a tee and molded, rearranged and outright cut the setpieces to fit the story I actually wanted to tell: the self-actualization of the Golem, his long, desparate fight to admit his own humanity to himself, and the eventual realization that he had long become the hero of his own story, with his Necromancer Master (and by that point, friend) losing sight of the actual important things.

I almost quit in the game's fourth act which is gameplaywise pretty cool as a no-nonsense trip into Hell itself to punch Diablo in the face in his own home, but provides an incredibly bad backdrop for the story I wanted to tell. After probably two years or even more in limbo there I managed to punch through, reach the final act and finally got to reach the ending I had been building up in my head for a literal decade, because I was 26 when I finished it. I was really, really happy with myself that I could finish the stupid thing; of course, by that point I realized how idiotic the entire undertaking was (you know, the whole "actual fanfiction" thing), but I needed to prove to myself that I could reach the end I wanted, and by God, I did.

It's been three years since then and I can't help it, I want to tell the story again, on my own terms, in my own world, and I have started building that world. I know where I'm going, I know the major events, I "just" need to rewrite everything with a new, original backdrop.

Apart from my desire probably being stupid (and therefore funny) to begin with, seeing as I'm a loving married Postdoc now who has better things to do than rewrite ancient fanfiction, the truly funny thing for me at least is to read the poo poo I wrote back then. Because I didn't ever read back what I wrote, not even for a single editing pass, just typed it up and online it went. So it's been over 10 years for the first chapters and I never actually read them to begin with - it's a really weird experience. And I think it'd be funny to share. Anyone care to read about that? Posting about it would increase my motivation to do it, so it's a very selfish question, I am well aware!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

As a sort of 'here's what I wrote, here's my thinking on it, here's what it looks like after an edit'? I'd be up for reading that, I like to see other people's thinking process when they create. It'd probably make most sense in its own thread, if you plan on doing the whole thing.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I'd be interested in seeing a post-mortem and reimagining process on the piece, but yeah definitely in it's own thread.

Also no need to feel stupid for having a creative outlet, everyone needs one and yours is just as valid as anything else out there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Go for it! Probably worth starting its own thread.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I was debating if an own thread would be worth it, so it's great to hear it confirmed as a good idea unprompted from you twothree :). I'll probably give it some time because I'm not writing anything yet, but maybe I will in fact start it "early" if I decide that the creative process itself is interesting enough to "document"? I'll think about it. To add more detail:

lofi posted:

As a sort of 'here's what I wrote, here's my thinking on it, here's what it looks like after an edit'? I'd be up for reading that, I like to see other people's thinking process when they create. It'd probably make most sense in its own thread, if you plan on doing the whole thing.
I do absolutely plan on doing the whole thing, and am confident that I can finish it (eventually), seeing as I finished the first one already, and that had a way worse chance to get finished. That ties into the "feeling stupid" thing: I am well aware that this is a perfectly fine hobby and nothing to be embarrassed about - in fact, I'm embarrassed about few things in life - and probably better than my other hobby which is making Let's Play videos. However, when it was still essentially fanfiction, I always had the nagging voice in my head that because of the ties to the videogame, I obviously can never publish it in any meaningful form. As I outgrew my Diablo 2 obsession, it made even less sense to continue writing it. And finally, to be perfectly honest, I do feel a little stupid talking about it with my peers because of its roots and because it's so out of left field for both myself and the shared passions of my friend group as well. But all of that doesn't apply here, so it's fine!

As for the Remaster: this could eventually get published obviously, as I'm making it my own, but NOW I have the problem of thinking it a mixture between 50 Shades of Grey (which started as Twilight Fanfiction) and the "Draw it again" meme :v:. I'm still making it - but that's where my self-deprecative comments are coming from.

All that aside: current state is that my world "mythology" is pretty much finished (around 10 pages of freeflow ideas, don't want to go overboard), I even drew a very shoddy map already to make sure the broad travel between "Acts" makes sense, I'm working on names for people and making sure the story outline has its major points set. For that, I'm re-reading the old stuff to extract ideas that might be worth keeping while laughing at some poo poo I thought cool or sensible back then. You know what? I'm gonna give you an example, just to see if that even works at all to convey what I'm doing.

Now, the old stuff is in German; I've decided to rewrite in English after a short discussion in the Question thread. If I'm doing comparisons, I'll just translate the original as true to source as possible, keeping all clumsiness intact. But for this one, you have to appreciate the very original:

quote:

Durch die Wüste wandern weiter wir, während weiter wandern auch meine Gedanken.
Which roughly means "Through the desert onward wander we, while onward wander also my thoughts". And yes, the grammar is 100% utterly wrong in German as well...deliberately so.

It's crazy - I don't remember most of this, because I wrote it over 10 years ago and never reread it. But I remember very clearly agonizing over this particular garbage sentence, pondering if the alliteration was worth breaking the grammar, if I could allow myself this stylistic ~flourish~, if I could actually be so arrogant to call myself an "author", because "authors" are ALLOWED to break the rules!!!

Good on past me: actually wondering if I was good enough to go for it
Bad on past me: not coming to the correct conclusion and going for it

Message to learn for now: obviously, both the idea of breaking grammar for a stylistic thing and the idea of alliterations being worth anything are laughable, but there is one glimmer of a good idea in there: this was the first sentence of a chapter, and I tried to always, always start every single chapter with something special. And this is the only reason why I even wanted to make this particular sentence anything but, well, a normal sentence amongst thousands of others.
And you know what? I think that's a good reason. Chapters should start "special", set the scene while drawing the reader in, making them not regret turning the page even though they wanted to sleep half an hour ago and starting a new chapter regardless. I will keep doing this. But maybe a little more...refined. How about this:

"Ceaselessly we wander through the desert, though the steady motion of my feet betrays how wildly my thoughts race." (because they WERE racing in the next sentences, so the original wander - wander juxtaposition didn't even make sense!)

Or to try and keep the pairing, if I were to go for a more "can't stop mulling over the poo poo that happened last chapter" vibe:
"For hours without pause we keep wandering the sands, and like the dunes just seem to repeat themselves forever, the same thoughts plague my mind over and over."

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 4, 2018

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

incredible flesh posted:

the internet is just a long and unimaginably stupid book we're all writing together

My chapter is called "on wings that fly"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They're both fairly fusty and over complicated sentences in English, without the attractively rumpy dump feel they have in German it seems to me. Try reading them aloud, I'd recommend simplifying them a bit.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

FunkyAl posted:

My chapter is called "on wings that fly"
mine is called simply "rear end"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

dreadmojo posted:

They're both fairly fusty and over complicated sentences in English, without the attractively rumpy dump feel they have in German it seems to me. Try reading them aloud, I'd recommend simplifying them a bit.
You are very correct, definitely too stylized. Chapter beginnings are important to me, so that's as good a practice as any to start. I like sentences that have a bit of a cadence to them (and the original German does...until it crashes at the end, I distinctly remember just giving up), and the new ones...don't.
Let's see for both.

"Ceaselessly we wander through the desert, though the steady motion of my feet betrays how wildly my thoughts race."
->
"The desert seems an endless path before us, like the one already passed behind. My feet move steady in unchanging rhythm, while inside thoughts race, a chaotic competition with no winner."

Less poetic and probably more in line with my USUAL style (but it's not a cool chapter opener!!!!!):
"The desert we traversed seems endless, what part of it remains ahead as well. I keep a steady rhythm as I walk, but inside, my mind is a chaotic mess of thoughts."

"For hours without pause we keep wandering the sands, and like the dunes just seem to repeat themselves forever, the same thoughts plague my mind over and over."
->
"For hours on the dunes, we go up and down and up again, they seem repeating. And in my mind, the same thoughts come up, and down and up again."

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Too many words.

e: Sorry, that wasn't as helpful as it could have been. What I meant is that your sentences are over-complex for what you're telling the reader, and it detracts rather than adding to the atmosphere.

It's died now, but the learning poetry thread had some really good advice on constructing sentences for dramatic effect.

lofi fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 4, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
I'm sorry to break the current ongoing conversation but I chewed on the function of art a bit and I wanted to add a couple of things as observations, if anyone is interested.

When I was a kid (80's-90's), the purpose and "job" of art was a conversation I had often (because I talked more with adults than other kids). Overwhelmingly, the idea back then was that art is a reflection of its time, but also serves an important purpose as the critic of said time. I think it might've had something to do with the way that Soviet propaganda art had influenced the art scene in Finland for so long, causing a backlash where the job of art then was to call authority into question. Rebellious art and rebelling through art was the duty of an artist. The ones with the power to visualize had to use that power to expose injustice within the system. Making fun of and revealing flaws in leaders after an authoritarian streak was new and exciting and comparably it's sorta hilarious that nowadays anyone can make one million peepee poopoo he's a bad president- memes like it ain't no thang. Back just before I was born though, making fun of someone as important as the president was just not ok and monocles were popped when someone dared to question the goodness of leaders.
Anyway, the biggest theme that I remember in art was essentially worrying about pollution, nuclear weapons and the greed of leaders, but with extra middle fingers pointed at them. That was what art was supposed to do, and it was good of artists and art to do that, to blatantly show opinion. I'm not sure if art did its job - swayed opinions - or if the opinionated art was reflecting the turning tide, but I remember a lot of things did change for the better.

Despite which, we're still worrying about pollution, nuclear weapons, and corporate greed instead of personal greed. This time around there's nothing rebellious about giving the finger to presidents, it's expected. Art looks for new things and new ways of looking at things, so the function can't now be the same as it was back then. But if you'd asked me 25 years ago, I would've known for sure what the function of art is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's a line from a famous poem, "The fair breeze blew, the white foam flew, The furrow followed free ; We were the first that ever burst into that silent sea." that has a similar rhythm to your german original. It's poetry so you don't need to be that compressed, but try not to have multiple perspectives in a single sentence. You're getting the hang in your final version, "For hours on the dunes, we go up and down and up again, they seem repeating. And in my mind, the same thoughts come up, and down and up again." but it's an ugly sentence unfortunately (and 'they seem repeating' isn't correct, you'd probably just say 'over and over' or repetitiously').

My tweak of your last sentence - "For hours on the dunes, we go up and down and up again, over and over. And in my mind, over and over and up and down, the same thoughts come."

e: also if you want to get further into it then fiction advice or your own thread would probably be a better place, this is general arts chitchat

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I do be a wordy boy.

It's a bad time for this writing exercise, as I'll head to bed in ten minutes and am probably not taking it as seriously as I should. I think I'll stop the impromptu finger warming* here, keep the advice in good mind and do more actual work on the project itself. Once I got something going, I will probably start my own thread and talk about how it was, how it will be, and how it is right now (probably crap because first draft). Exciting! And less words!

One final try though because it IS fun:

"The neverending desert will claim our lives, a normal man might ponder. And yet, for hours my thoughts were unrelated to our journey."

*it really is just practice, there is no classical desert in the new version.

EDIT: Oh hey I didn't see your post, dreadmojo. Own thread is for sure what will happen instead of me taking up more space here, I appreciate the "intro" a lot, though! And thanks for the tweak of what I wrote so far, I like it and it's a good compromise between "actual prose" (what the end product will be) and "poetic intro" (what I want the chapter to start with). Gives me hope that the idea will work!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 5, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm sorry to break the current ongoing conversation but I chewed on the function of art a bit and I wanted to add a couple of things as observations, if anyone is interested.

When I was a kid (80's-90's), the purpose and "job" of art was a conversation I had often (because I talked more with adults than other kids). Overwhelmingly, the idea back then was that art is a reflection of its time, but also serves an important purpose as the critic of said time. I think it might've had something to do with the way that Soviet propaganda art had influenced the art scene in Finland for so long, causing a backlash where the job of art then was to call authority into question. Rebellious art and rebelling through art was the duty of an artist. The ones with the power to visualize had to use that power to expose injustice within the system. Making fun of and revealing flaws in leaders after an authoritarian streak was new and exciting and comparably it's sorta hilarious that nowadays anyone can make one million peepee poopoo he's a bad president- memes like it ain't no thang. Back just before I was born though, making fun of someone as important as the president was just not ok and monocles were popped when someone dared to question the goodness of leaders.
Anyway, the biggest theme that I remember in art was essentially worrying about pollution, nuclear weapons and the greed of leaders, but with extra middle fingers pointed at them. That was what art was supposed to do, and it was good of artists and art to do that, to blatantly show opinion. I'm not sure if art did its job - swayed opinions - or if the opinionated art was reflecting the turning tide, but I remember a lot of things did change for the better.

Despite which, we're still worrying about pollution, nuclear weapons, and corporate greed instead of personal greed. This time around there's nothing rebellious about giving the finger to presidents, it's expected. Art looks for new things and new ways of looking at things, so the function can't now be the same as it was back then. But if you'd asked me 25 years ago, I would've known for sure what the function of art is.

The cultural critique has been turned round to an extent, it's people criticising art for not sufficiently reflecting the culture they want to see.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

very articulate! i think the function you thought art was for then is still relevant, just important to consider how the nature and control patterns of the media have xhanged since then.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i'm fat

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fauna posted:

i'm fat

cool

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
two new goals: build a panapticon to shoot a movie about a panapticon in, panapticon style, and invent "realist" magic

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'm intrigued by realist magic. Would it be something like in the Unknown Armies RPG, where magic is fueled by your obsession with your understanding-metaphor for how the world works? So you might get drinkomancers (because you can do anything if you get drunk enough), personomancers (identities are just masks, so why not switch masks at will), that sorta thing.

Or are you thinking something else? Invent it now.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

lofi posted:

I'm intrigued by realist magic. Would it be something like in the Unknown Armies RPG, where magic is fueled by your obsession with your understanding-metaphor for how the world works? So you might get drinkomancers (because you can do anything if you get drunk enough), personomancers (identities are just masks, so why not switch masks at will), that sorta thing.

Or are you thinking something else? Invent it now.

moving a mailbox across the street in the dead of night at winter and never acknowledging it and leaving absolutley no trace behind. placing statues fingers in their noses in museums. a big gorilla enters and leaves a city street and people can see this one but not so much a rational thing, even though rationally i would have to hide a gorilla in a glass box with mirrors. pranks with production values. that sorta thing.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Hey, I'm new to the CC boards so I figured this looked as much like a 'general' thread, please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place.

I've built and (lightly) tested a board game and would like to know what steps are involved in perhaps getting it published or refined or? Is this something I should make a thread about? I don't want to get into too much here in case I'm in the wrong place :shittydog:

I'd kinda like to do maybe a kickstarter/patreon, but since I have zero art skills I feel like without something flashy to look at it probably won't go anywhere, and I have very limited funds to buy artist's time. Thanks for any information!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

In terms of refining mechanics, you'd want the thread in Trad Games.

For a kickstarter... Yeah, you probably want something to attract people's attention, there's a lot of competition. Even if it's just a box/cover image, and getting more done is part of the kickstarter. The Kickstarter HQ might be of more help.

lofi fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 6, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sharpest Crayon posted:

i had to go dig this up but i found it again. i feel its relevant

"Sophia McDougall posted:

“You know what you should do,” she said.

No, I really didn’t.

“Write novels,” she said.

I told her that in the days after the election I felt as if art had been revealed as an empty joke. An indulgence we could no longer afford. As if I would never be able to justify doing it again. What we were even going to write now? Flimsy, tinselly distractions from ghastly reality? Or sharp-eyed, unflinching commentary that no one except the already-convinced would ever read? What was the point of art?

“No, no!” she said. “Art is what will save us.”

“But it hasn’t,” I wanted to scream. We tried and tried. We’ve filled the world with our stories, our songs – we’ve tried so hard to make our stories better - with diverse casts and empathy and hope – and it’s not enough; no one’s saying it was perfect, or that the attempt was anywhere close to finished. But we were trying. And now look.

It is so important, she told me, that there is art already made and due to come out in the coming year that embodies the opposite of this. Diverse, progressive stories, that are not going to go untold whatever happens.

I’d had in my mind two quotes. Peter Cook, on Germany’s satirical clubs of the thirties “that did so much to prevent the rise of Hitler.”

And Kurt Vonnegut: “During the Vietnam War, which lasted longer than any war we’ve ever been in - and which we lost - every respectable artist in this country was against the war. It was like a laser beam. We were all aimed in the same direction. The power of this weapon turns out to be that of a custard pie dropped from a stepladder six feet high.“

But if they hadn’t been there? I thought, looking at my friend. Who was fierce and bright-eyed and smiling. Those useless satirists and artists and musicians pouring their spirits into their art and watching it land on the floor of history like that dropped custard pie? What if there was nothing to look back on in those times but a culture in militaristic lockstep, or perhaps worse, slumped in dead-eyed indifference? After those years-long nightmares, what would there have been to wake up to? Maybe it was absurd to find the thought more chilling than the reality of what had happened, to feel that it would have been an international death of the soul, but .. still …

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
doubleposting is cruise control for cool; also speaking of relevance, in the vein of art as reification-of-idea i just remembered reading this the other day

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

if a fucker disrespected me i would kill them with my teeth

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that is in fact your prerogative

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

FunkyAl posted:

moving a mailbox across the street in the dead of night at winter and never acknowledging it and leaving absolutley no trace behind. placing statues fingers in their noses in museums. a big gorilla enters and leaves a city street and people can see this one but not so much a rational thing, even though rationally i would have to hide a gorilla in a glass box with mirrors. pranks with production values. that sorta thing.

This is reminiscent of the magic system from the PnP RPG Mage: The Awakening. The more "unreal" your magical effects become (at least in public), the more you have to worry about consensual reality smacking you down. So it's in your best interest to make spells either look like stage magic or freak coincidences. Slinging fireballs? Bad. Gas explosions? Plausible deniability.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Mirage posted:

This is reminiscent of the magic system from the PnP RPG Mage: The Awakening. The more "unreal" your magical effects become (at least in public), the more you have to worry about consensual reality smacking you down. So it's in your best interest to make spells either look like stage magic or freak coincidences. Slinging fireballs? Bad. Gas explosions? Plausible deniability.

Personally I'd try to avoid effects involving fire. Id want most of my stuff to go unnoticed, or just noticed barely. Just maintaining a subtle flow of conciencious unpredictability

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

loving war it ruins everything

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
shes right

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tollymain posted:

shes right

Oh, granted

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
is this the creative chat thread...or a political prison

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well, we had to recreate tumblr somewhere.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Postin' nips all day erry day

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Female-presenting nipples is my new favourite phrase.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

lofi posted:

Female-presenting nipples is my new favourite phrase.

everytime i see this phrase i die a little.

well, i recently did character poll of sorts on discord and the majority wanted a white or silver haired, dark skinned, demon girl donned in fantasy armor. the phrase is so vague i could do anything with it.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
They want another hot chick in bikini armour. Please disappoint them massively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Demons do not think much about our aesthetics to begin with. Just draw one gargantuan beast with boils and hair all over. THEN you put the bikini armour on them.