Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
It frustrates the poo poo out of me that every online poetry critique circle I’ve encountered online is a loving echo chamber of jerking everyone off. I mean, I just read a poem that had no specific imagery and grammar mistakes that received comments like “this was haunting” “I loved this”.

I mean, listen: I’m a shut in who writes garbage poetry myself, but what I’d really like is someone to cut it up so I can actually improve. I’d post here but I don’t think there’s enough of a poetry-specific community to sustain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

lofi posted:

We had a 'learn poetry' thread a while back that got a few of us till the OP vanished - might be worth a post to see if there is a space for it.

that was mine, ironically enough- my life got especially complicated and in great internet tradition I ghosted the gently caress out of that thread. But that’s my point- it was like three of us! It’s not necessarily a criticism of the sub forum, there’s a ton of cool art and fiction stuff happening, but poetry just isn’t as popular. Maybe I’ll dig that thread out and raise it back to life

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Poem Dome is up, if y’all are interested. I welcome any thoughts on prompts/format/etc.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903748&perpage=40#post499948874

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

sebmojo posted:

So, how is everyone doing? what are you working on? what would you like to be working on?

I’ve been trying to write proper sonnets in iambic pentameter but so far they’ve all been melodramatic angsty poo poo. I think I’m getting the cadence down with practice? I just need to write more and maybe pick topics less prone to gloom and doom.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Antivehicular posted:

I wrote a poem! I'm still freaking out a little about having used 6-syllable lines in a haiku, and in general I feel dumb about how accomplished I feel for writing all of nine lines of poetry, but I haven't done poetry in years and it's a nice feeling.

I’m so happy about this post!!! :sotw:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
“Hey, buddy, can you like, bounce around a little bit? I’m doing a... motion study.”

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I have been writing every day for a long while now, trying to improve my poetry. I don't have anyone to really critique my poems, however, and so I'm just mired in my own dumb poo poo. I hate that I don't feel like I'm improving, and every time I submit to poem dome or whatever it's like I'm just dumping garbage. Then I go into that stupid shame spiral where I get bitter and jealous I'm not better and then I should just give up because I'm never going to get better. I don't know what to do about this.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
After my pity party I actually did a deep dig and found an open mic that’s 20 min from my house; all the others have been like 1.5h away (I live in the sticks). I’m excited but nervous; I’ve never done an open mic before and I’m hoping to make some friends / critique partners without being a weirdo. I’m guessing grabbing someone and screaming “please accept me” is probably off the table, right?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

punk rebel ecks posted:

I want to post the first two chapters of my book here but I'm worried that it will just get buried and nobody will read it. I've heard that "feedback posts" for books tend to be ignored.

Depends on the book. It’s tough, you’re asking for a free service; I know I’ve offered to proof but then life catches up with me. If it’s a couple chapters you can PM me and I’ll give them a read- I’m stuck on the plane tomorrow anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks.

Here's the first chapter.

Here's the second.

Do you have an email to send crits?