Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I am coming to this thread very late, so forgive me if this has come up before, but this book is absolutely indispensable when it comes to figure drawing. It's just a straight-up book of the human form: black and white photos of men and women taken in deep perspective from all sorts of crazy angles. Definitely worth adding to your reference library.

The Atlas of Foreshortnening

E: And apparently there's a Second Edition available now as well.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Honestly I haven't seen the 2nd edition in person. If I had to guess I'd say the preview images are intentionally fuzzed just to keep people from using (stealing) them.

That being said, I have seen the original version (which is apparently out of print and available on Abe, which I linked, and maybe Alibris) -- a friend of mine had it. Those photos were phenomenal and included a variety of poses, including sitting and standing as I recall (which seems to be one reviewer's issue with the new edition, that most/all of the images in the new book are in the prone position).

What I liked best was that it's just a straight book of photos. No long detailed instructions, on how to do this or that, just well-composed reference photos taken from some amazing angles that really emphasized how foreshortening works. If the choice is between 1st edition or 2nd, I'd go with the 1st edition, even if it is a little harder to come by. If nothing else, it's a fascinating study of human anatomy from angles that you don't normally see.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 8, 2019

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Question for the writers. I skimmed through the thread and didn't really see anything like this addressed, so: how do you handle feedback/critiques from beta readers?

I finally got a piece to a finished state after spending the better part of a year beating my head against it, tearing it all down, completely rewriting it, deciding it was poo poo and wondering why the gently caress I was bothering, and then somehow pushing through all of it to come up with something that's actually submittable. I've got some beta readers looking at it and overall I'm getting generally positive feedback with some good critiques.

The problem I'm running into is, how do you keep it from becoming a case of too many cooks spoiling the soup? I could simply shake my head and say "no, this is perfect the way it is, gently caress you, I'm not changing it," but that's not going to give me the strongest possible version of the story (and also not help me grow as a writer). On the other hand, if I took every single person's piece of advice, I'd end up with a very watered-down version of what I started with as a result of trying to please everybody. And let's face it, there's always gonna be someone out there somewhere who hates your work no matter what.

So the question I have is, when it comes to feedback/critiques, how do you determine what reader suggestions might be good to incorporate into a final draft, and what to ignore? For example, if two or three readers mention the same thing, then clearly that's something you should probably address, but if one reader says "well, you said this character's hair was green and I really just think they should have purple hair instead" ... yeah, maybe you can pass on that one. But it's all the other stuff in the middle. How do you determine the signal-to-noise ratio in your feedback and stay true to your original piece?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

lofi posted:

I have lost my favourite pen my mom bought me. :( I guess tomorrow is tearing everything apart till I find it?

Sounds like it, yeah. I'm a sucker for quality pens, so I'd be the same way.

Thanks to y'all for the input. My biggest problem is that I overthink the poo poo out of things. In this one story, for example, I went back and forth for like four or five days over whether or not a sentence should have a comma in a certain spot or not. It would have been grammatically correct either way; it was just the way the sentence read with it versus without it. And it's a detail that probably wouldn't matter to anyone else in the world but me.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Just wanted to pop in and thank all of y'all once more for your advice re: reader critiques, what might be worth listening to, what should be ignored, and above all trusting myself to just tell the story I want to tell (which I think is what I have the hardest part with). You have all been super helpful during this process and I'm not sure I could have gotten here without your input. After giving the final piece back to my editor for one last pass -- just to check for grammatical errors, missing words, minor nitpicky poo poo that spellcheck won't find, that sort of thing, I grew a spine and submitted the drat thing as a birthday gift to myself -- yeah, it really is my birthday, and yeah, the deadline is still over a month away. But I wanted to do it and be done with it before I had a chance to start second-guessing everything and chicken out. In the end, this thing is loving solid and the higher level of my brain knows it. It's just the everyday self-doubting part of my brain that screams at me so much louder.

And hell, even if I don't win or even end up as a finalist, I still loving submitted it, and that's the main thing.

Happy (early) new year, thread. Wish me luck.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I love “normal canvas size.” It reminds me of my wide-format printing days when people would want something printed “poster-sized”.

Me: Poster size? You mean 16x20? 18x24? 24x36?
Them: ...
Me: :doh:

And ultimately what they really wanted was something much smaller, usually 11x17.

That is NOT a loving poster!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

mutata posted:

They are mostly standard sizes (the ones listed above are the most common) but just not equated with "paper size". The international version is better as usual, but we don't just make up new arbitrary sizes willy-nilly, we mostly just stick to the same 4 or 5 arbitrary sizes.
It's this. The sizes I listed are the most common "poster size" frames that you can buy off the rack at a frame shop, and as mutata said, aren't based on sheet size.

lofi posted:

but they all have different aspect ratios! How do you size stuff up and down? Just by cropping bits off sometimes?

dupersaurus posted:

Really the only truly annoying discrepancy are the two standard photograph sizes: 4"x6" and 8"x10": 4x6 is the same as the frame, but 8x10 is notably taller. Once you get above those the common sizes are almost all (or very close to) 4:3 ratio.
Yup. Before I worked in the wide-format shop, I worked in a photo lab, and when people would want their photos enlarged (typically in the US printed as 3x5--not as common--or 4x6), we'd have to explain that they would lose some image once we started sizing up, and ask them how they wanted things cropped.

But now I work in commercial print and packaging, dealing with national AND international companies. You wanna talk about mind-bending poo poo, holy gently caress.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 13, 2020

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Let me know if you get a Kickstarter of GoFundme rolling for that and I'll chip in.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

This might be a longshot, but I might as well ask here since I’m not sure where else to ask.

Do any of y’all know anything about shrinking animated gifs/pngs/whatever so that they look clean?

I just finished putting together a forums gangtag for the Super Bowl, but all of my attempts to shrink it to 180 pixels wide in GIMP have ended in failure. The filesize is fine, but the lettering looks like ugly jagged rear end and I can’t figure out why or how to fix it. I’m hoping someone else can do a better job than me, or at least tell me how to do it right myself.

Shot you a PM.

Edit: Nevermind. Gotcha covered.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 1, 2020

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Thanks so much! I went to bed after I made that post, so I didn’t catch your PM last night, but I saw your post in TFF and it looks great!

I just PMed a mod to upload it.

Again, thank you. You rock!

:hfive:

I didn't get this Adventure Hogs tag for nothin'. Glad to help!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Do y’all feel like you ever truly finish a piece, or do you just get to a point where you tell yourself “I need to just stop here.”

Example: I submitted a piece to a lit mag’s novella contest. Submission deadline was 2/1. I’m proud of the piece I sent and I think it’s one of the tightest bits of writing I’ve ever done (I wouldn’t have submitted it if I thought otherwise). So from that standpoint, it’s finished. I should move forward to whatever comes next and leave this alone, yeah?

But now. NOW my brain is throwing new ideas for it at me that could ramp up the tension and do some other things to the narrative that might have improved it (yes, I know the counter argument is that these new ideas could have weakened it as well, but that’s beside the point). My brain just wants to keep chewing on this and see what other directions it could go in, rather than moving on to the next thing. And rather than put this piece aside, I’m likely just going to follow these new ideas just to see where they go.

Does that ever happen to anyone else? And it doesn’t have to be specific to writing, either. What about y’all who work with visual media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Sometimes I do get an idea later on that would've worked for a pic, but instead of going back, I just work the idea into the next one.

That's kind of the approach I'm taking right now with this piece by exploring these new avenues. It's too late to do anything about the original that I submitted, but maybe something will sprout from the ideas that my brain wants to play with, and I can morph/weave it into something new. I'm trying not to look at it so much as rehashing something it's too late to do anything about, but use it a springboard for whatever's next. The frustration just comes from my brain not wanting to leave well enough alone.