Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

hallelujah posted:

i've just realised the only thing that motivates me to make art is having an audience, but i'm so afraid of putting my art in front of an audience that it kills my motivation

Don't be afraid! Most people are just glad to be looking at something in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

hallelujah posted:

i am stalking ralph bakshi across multiple social media platforms and he seems to be ok with it, does that count as art

Yes, if you can successfully get him to go get a beer.

Last year I saw a screening of american pop where he did a skype q and a after. I asked him a question about working at terry toons and he got teary describing it.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Try Cicadian rhythm instead: bury yourself underground for seven years

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Also if anyone would like to see a short I've been making the last two years ish i have a cut with an incomplete mix to watch here.

https://vimeo.com/404319931 password is 2010theyearwemakecontact

Don't spread it everywhere! There's more polish to do but let me know how it is so far!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

lofi posted:

The main impression I'm getting is that it's beautiful, but the pacing is way off. As in, I literally actually just checked to make sure it was playing full speed. For something focused around a fight it's very slow, lots of long held shots, and I think it'd work better with much quicker shots (like, halving pretty much every shot). I know that's like 'hey, you should take a machete to your big project", but I think it'd feel a lot snappier for it. It works for things like the 'hear them chant my name' [crickets sfx] shot where you want to imply space and emptiness, but I think you'd more effectively sell 'wild violence' with lots of fast shots. Maybe you could cut the ends off some shots and splice them into the middle of others to imply darting around?

On those lines, why are the vox sooooo drraaaawwwwn ooouuut? It makes them kinda hard to understand. Similarly, I'd have the cow actually speak for clarity, but I can see the argument against it.

Oh, and it needs crowd-noises in the background, I just realised it feels like there's only the two main characters in the whole arena! Some gasps and 'oooh's when the duck gets knocked about especially would help. SFX, too! Are they just not added in yet?

The visuals are great, really tasty high-saturation stuff that looks edible without being overwhelming - I especially love the texturework in the backgrounds, gives it proper depth.

The 7m flying sequence is really nice, very trippy.

The big windup at 9m11 is great, I love the extreme foreshortening, but then the fist itself is just going sideways for like 5 seconds, and it loses any sense of impact. Stuff needs to be happening much more of the time, or you'll lose the viewer.

It'd be better if the duck sounded more exhausted when he's talking about the truce, panting for breath.

Ha, sorry, I've put all this and it sounds really negative! It's not meant to be, it's a gorgeous piece that's clearly had a lot of love put into it, just that (imo, obvs) it's being pulled down by a few things and I think a hard edit would really make it pop!

Massive kudos for doing anything with animation, it looks like an insane amount of work to get a finished piece.

Don't apologize! Most people are afraid to be real at a big project like this. I tend to err on the side of too long just because I worry it's not readable but if it's lagging I can defeinitely pick up the pace.

When you say vox do you mean vfx? The plan was/could still be to get an onlder animator to voice the bull, the mooing was my compromise but I think even if I get a VA I think the moo makes him sound sillier.

SFX Are in there/in progress, but it's buried under a lot of the temp music there now. lot of it's stock sounds I'm not super happy with. I had plans to record noises at an arena sports game but that fell through because of every sport being cancelled, So I'm going to have to figure...some kinda solution for that.

And everything else I'm taking into good consideration! Thank you for taking the time to write this.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Is perhaps the shader you have set not installed properly?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I feel like I'm making the same amount of stuff but I 'm nuttier

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
An old man with a parrot gifted me an easel and a buncha magazines, so this is helping unblock the "creative" block.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
As penance for this presumed rant you should post a panel form your webcomic.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Here is a panel I drew in 2014

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm thinking watto frankly. Or a wizard rat

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I got something called "german earth" which is real good. I also gotta endorse payne's grey, and recommend not using ptalo blue. I've never been a fan, it's real green and one time a tube of ptahlo green broke and stained everything. French ultramarine over "regular," I'm also liking alternate yellows. Hansa and nickel titanate, muy bueno.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Anyone know nice places to live with good art scenes? Somewhere cheap and nice to be, I am thinking of Santa Fe but anyplace could be nice. Probably north american.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I stopped there on a bus one time, the downtown was almost a ghost downtown. When the people on the bus were outside smoking one guy who was heading toward getting married was freaking out and showing people pictures she was sending him in that moment.

On the same trip, another guy was making a documentary about agriculture, and there was some woman who had survived cancer who was traveling with some man who wanted to be with her but she was clear she wasn't but was, so to speak, all like "yeah sure I'll go on the bus tirp you're paying for."

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
This year's theme is "Winter Wonderland"

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
What does everyone do for framing paintings? I need to get some together quick but I don't have a lot to spend right now.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It was kind of a divine joy to discover this drawing for the first time as a kid

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’m looking into getting started painting. I want to experiment with color and work mostly in abstract shapes. What medium should I be looking at? My number one desire is the ability to mix colors to explore various shades.

I say gouache. It's like watercolor but you can correct it, cheap and easy to try

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Does anyone else ever feel like the work they're producing isn't like an accurate representation of the feelings or ideas you want to evoke?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I found a little life drawing club which is good practice, and nice 4 socializing since it is in the basement of a bar.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
People could steal your ideas before the program made it simple to do so. Helpfully, it can only recreate what you have already made, and not what you are going to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Landscape painting?