Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

dupersaurus posted:

Life drawing classes: where objectifying women's bodies is kinda what you need to do?

Comedy discussion at the committee meeting of my local art society where we were discussing getting different models because people are bored of our usual one who's a leggy blonde with big boobs.

We've decided to add in a bloke and a voluptuous woman to vary things and get numbers back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

Interesting quick read that was shared on my local ArtSoc page, about how to treat 'failure' when arting.

https://thriveglobal.com/stories/my-advice-to-creatives-if-you-want-to-succeed-fail-fail-fast/

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

They're adorable. Also I love your colour work. What's the medium?

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

tiaz posted:

I'm a big dummy when it comes to arts and crafts of any kind, yet I have several Leuchtturm1917 notebooks that I would like to put a design on the cover of, to assist me in differentiating them.
I tried a sharpie, but no amount of trying allows it to stick, and it can be trivially reverted to blank, which happened several times by accident before I gave up on it.
Is there some paint-like medium I can use that will adhere better? as long as it doesn't chip and fall off immediately I don't mind if the surface is no longer perfectly smooth.

How about wrapping them in paper first, then painting that?

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

Any tips for doing insect wings in water colour, especially against a background?

I had a go with a dragonfly and it was hilariously poo poo

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

Starting up a new ArtGoon discord so that we have one where the mods are a) there, and b) actually part of the artgoon discussions

https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

Artdome is still a thing, and the prompt is now Horse.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890426&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post504862670

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

Don't know availability, but this might be interesting, it's a book about the history of pigments

https://www.jacksonsart.com/blog/2019/06/10/history-of-pigment-in-art/

Amazon UK link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chromatopia-Illustrated-History-David-Coles/dp/1760760021

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

fauna posted:

hahahaha oh lord, when i was 20 i was mostly absorbed in ultima online roleplaying drama. it kind of counts as art, and i desperately, desperately hope it is lost to the mists of time
LoL, Me too. Not only RP drama, but OoC organisational level drama too. Though I never did the writing huge tracts of IC fanfiction thing.

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

TBF, writing huge tracts of fanfic is more worthwhile than the org-level bunfights I got into. Unless you're a creepy sod who basically went full-Gorean* with the player of the Sultana of Nujelm.

* His character was called Kamchack. I literally just got the reference last year, or it would have been a massive red flag. Fortunately he wasn't in my guild.

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

fauna posted:

lmao no, i was outspokenly disdainful of erotic rp. and in fact i wrote many words to that effect, which, again, i hope and pray are lost forever

i read that as "krymchak", which i'm not sure is the reference he intended
Oh no, this was gross fanfic without actually including any sex. And Kamchack is iirc, the lead character in Gor. bleargh.

And wow, I don't think we had anything of that grade happen over on Europa.

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

See 'wine dark sea'

Also Indrathene blue is the best

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

FunkyAl posted:

I got something called "german earth" which is real good. I also gotta endorse payne's grey, and recommend not using ptalo blue. I've never been a fan, it's real green and one time a tube of ptahlo green broke and stained everything. French ultramarine over "regular," I'm also liking alternate yellows. Hansa and nickel titanate, muy bueno.

What pigment numbers? The names can be meaningless - e.g. Sennelliers French Ultramarine is a mix (Pb29+Pv15) , for pure Pb29 you need their Ultramarine Deep.

Their Indrathrene is Pb60

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

What's the best way to offer prints for sale without taking a risk yourself, or just to be able to provide a link to people who go "That's cool, I'd like a print of that" rather than as a main income stream.

Ideally looking for a company based in the UK but that can also do international shipping reasonably.

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

I've got a Faber Castell polychromos set.

Caran D'ache are also very good.

Thing with pencils (all art supplies really) is that they'll have a student range and then one of more pro-ranges. The student range will be much cheaper, but in many mediums just isn't as nice to use

Derwent and Caran D'Ache frankly have a confusing number of ranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 29, 2012

Really Madcats

StrixNebulosa posted:

I ultimately got my mom a Caran D'ache supracolor set, but added the note that if she doesn't like them I'll get her another set. I want her to be drawing things happily this year! Thank you all for the responses, I'll go through them if mom needs me too.

They're watercolour pencils, so slightly different techniques to get the best out of them, but they're really nice. I've got a set of them too