Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
After reading through this thread and earlier discussions about the definition of art, I think I can finally stop agonizing and conclude that yes, terrarium building is art, and I do belong in the artgoon discord (joined today) and the art forum. Especially since I plan to document the process of turning my 55 gallon birthday present tank into a finished piece, including crappy MS Paint mockups and weird technique stuff. I also plan to incorporate miniatures into it, which is a whole other can of worms I've never touched.

I'll start a new thread for it when I'm back home and working on it for real (assuming it's ok), but in the meantime, is there a model railroad or miniatures thread i can consult for advice on the miniatures piece? I want to work on individual parts of the project separately to avoid burnout. Also, I've tried looking into miniatures communities, and there are... many facets to the hobby. And super varied.

In the miniatures and kinda environmental design vein, my idea incorporates a temple hidden deep in a slate cliff face. I want to make a temple design (complete with little people in religious raiments) that meets two criteria: 1) frog motif and 2) doesn't appropriate extant cultures or religions. Anyone with any experience creating made up religions have any ideas for going about doing this? I'm not really looking to establish a fantasy culture or anything, just "looks cool, froggy themed, fits landscape, isn't offensive." I've got a lot of time on this since the grunt work of building the hardscape is going to take a million years, but I'd like to get a head start now since I'm very inexperienced with creating building models from scratch.

I've got the hardscape and plants all planned out, and the technique I think p solid. Still super nervous to post it but I do kinda want to show off my weird little niche. My therapist has encouraged me to document and share the process so it can't be that bad, right? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

Thread is up for my paludarium build! Really excited about it. Still adjusting to what I do counting as a creative endeavor. Probably way wordier and spergier than I intended, but that's what happens when I get excited about a thing! It has been forever since I have been excited about a thing :)

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

fauna posted:

you might want to avoid saying "spergy", we used to say it all the time on this site but it's a pejorative

that does not diminish the coolness of the project, or the beauty of the frogs

Thanks for the support!!

Yeah, I'm aware. I recently started to accept that the autism diagnosis I got at 18 is actually correct (as confirmed by my much more competent current healthcare team; long story) and it's freaking me right the gently caress out. It's self-depreciating gallows humor from a disability self-acceptance perspective and trying to cope with a newly shattered self-image, but there's no way to know that without knowing my medical history. Making fun of the problem takes the sting out of it for me and also (weirdly) helps me accept that there's just some oddness to my behavior that I really can't help/ I'm not a bad or stupid person for not having social rhythms quite right. Very bad look without the background, though. It's a coping skill that came out sideways in a way I only intended to be pointed at myself. I'll watch it better going forward. :)

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

fauna posted:

:unsmith: thanks for taking it well. i have autism too, and am personally not offended by the word (i feel similarly about it to how you do!) but yeah, it's probably best if you try not to use it around here or it'll cause you a few problems. there's a whole lot of words i've had to cut out of my vocabulary these past few years, some of which i could never quite find a replacement for, but it is for the greater good.

Not even remotely intent on cutting it out of my vocabulary. Just recognizing that the time and place for that kind of tongue-in-cheek self-depreciating humor is for when I'm around my close family and friends who recognize what my specific intent is with the joke and that it'll only ever be targeted at myself. I'm not a fan of the thought that some things are off-limits in humor, and trying to police the language people in marginalized groups use to describe themselves will never not be icky to me. It's gallows humor if the person with the noose around their neck makes the joke, and part of the execution otherwise-- my take here is that it'd be courteous of me to contain the jokes to people who can see the rope, not that making jokes at the expense of my own brain mechanics is inherently unethical.

Processing a lot on the disability acceptance front but it's slow going. Giving myself poo poo for it makes things easier. But, as you said, time and place. :)

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

Djeser posted:

Does anyone feel reluctant to participate in Thunderdome because of the threat of losing their avatar?

(We've also been considering having a Thunderdome gang tag with a 'loser' variant that gets swapped out, if that sounds more palatable than an avatar change.)

Absolutely 100% this is why I've never participated. I'm happy to take harsh criticism, since it's going to make me a better writer, but being publicly branded as a pile of dogshit for coming in dead last in a popularity contest (in a way that takes real money to remove) isn't my idea of a good time.