Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i'm fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

if a fucker disrespected me i would kill them with my teeth

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

loving war it ruins everything

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

help

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

lofi posted:

Everyone gleefully undercutting each other?
there's no glee in it for anyone but the "clients", that's the tragedy, it's all raw human desperation

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Star Man posted:

"There is no such thing as sacred paper."
what about the immaculate first page of a brand-new sketchbook??

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the holy virgin of paper products

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

sebmojo posted:

So, how is everyone doing? what are you working on? what would you like to be working on?
i got a customer service job so for the time being i'm not working on anything :smith:

i'm actually really enjoying it though, we are all made in the image of the LORD and so help me i get to see all those facets of human divinity working christmas retail, from the joyous down to the deeply peculiar

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Does it drain you too hard? If it's not just a christmas helping job, you'll eventually get used to it and be able to create on your free time.
it's a christmas helping job lol, i am an elf of our times

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

don't be the guy who just draws the boobs at life drawing

i can't imagine having the balls to do that publically and with a model who actually comes around and looks at the pictures, but in class after class after class, there's always been at least one, always male, usually old. page upon page of just the boobs, sometimes the curve of the waist or an attempt at the head, but the boobs are centre stage

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

they're always the ones who wax lyrical about how they've been doing life drawing for decades too, presumably never drawing anything but the boobs for all those long lonely years because their artistic skill level is, as a rule, quite low

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

on the upside, everybody is always kind to the guy who just draws the boobs, so if you're not that guy, imagine how nice they'll be to you!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i got fired for weeping in front of customers

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

haha it's ok, weeping is kind of my thing, it's a physiological reflex i have zero control over and it happens at the weirdest times. such as in front of the customers! :spergin: this was the first job i've had with a compassionate manager who understood :( but we had to come to an agreement that christmas retail hell isn't an environment i can cope with and probably never will be

the good thing is i earned a month's rent before my untimely death, and i also got an insider look at what cartoons and toys are popular with the kids, which was enlightening (frozen. it's frozen)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

now i have more time to spend on my art!

*does zero art*

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

the beautiful Finnish language has a word for the kind of person who needs to have the tiniest, most insignificant detail perfect and will halt a month's production from going forward because of said detail.

The word is comma-fucker.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

christmas internet

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

tigrephants

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Far be it from me to encourage you to betray the trust of your client and tell us about this crazy poo poo that is obviously magical that you keep teasing us with, but one question needs answering:
If a tiger and elephant produced mutant offspring, would they be like THIS

or like THIS?
well that's the thing:

the answer is all of the above

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

(ps those are amazing)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

sebmojo posted:

im lovin it
i'm sorry i yelled at you in qcs that one time, you're a drat fine mod :(

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

my computer died and i'm on an ancient tablet we found in the bottom of a cupboard and there's a folder on the desktop containing my webcomic from 2014

pro-tip, don't look at your webcomic from 2014

i wonder what the expiry date is on old art embarrassment? i can look at stuff i made up until about 18 and find it endearingly terrible (i'm 30) but anything after that i just can't bear to look at. it takes about twelve months now for something i draw to go from "that looks ok" to "oh gently caress please don't make me ever have to see that again." i think it's why i only do abstract art now. i hate looking at my hosed-up old human drawings, even badly-drawn buildings make me cringe myself inside out, and i can't imagine it will ever be any different so i've just stopped trying. what's the point in making art if you can't take any joy in what you made?

i got art-shamed pretty hard as a kid by literally everyone in my life. if i ever have kids, things will be different! their lives may be disastrous in most ways, but by drat they'll have confidence in their art, whatever that art may be

fauna fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 5, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

sebmojo posted:

You 100% have to post it now
i would literally rather eat my tongue

quote:

E: I mostly like my old stuff, but I recently read some letters I sent back to friends when I was 20ish and my entire body contorted into a cringe scrunchy
hahahaha oh lord, when i was 20 i was mostly absorbed in ultima online roleplaying drama. it kind of counts as art, and i desperately, desperately hope it is lost to the mists of time

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Angrymog posted:

LoL, Me too. Not only RP drama, but OoC organisational level drama too. Though I never did the writing huge tracts of IC fanfiction thing.
i did :unsmigghh:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Angrymog posted:

TBF, writing huge tracts of fanfic is more worthwhile than the org-level bunfights I got into. Unless you're a creepy sod who basically went full-Gorean* with the player of the Sultana of Nujelm.
lmao no, i was outspokenly disdainful of erotic rp. and in fact i wrote many words to that effect, which, again, i hope and pray are lost forever

quote:

* His character was called Kamchack. I literally just got the reference last year, or it would have been a massive red flag. Fortunately he wasn't in my guild.
i read that as "krymchak", which i'm not sure is the reference he intended

thankfully my trajectory in life has never led me to gor or its fans, and i'm happy with that. i was in with the vampire crowd :negative:

the best drama i was involved in happened because i played an elderly wizard, but was a teenage girl irl. but when i shared that i was a teenage girl irl with the guild, one of the other members got suspicious because i played old too well. so she ended up convincing herself and a handful of others that i was an old man pretending to be a teenage girl pretending to be an old man, for nefarious purposes probably involving my closest uo friend at the time, a confirmed teenage boy. they ran me out of the guild and off the shard and i only later found out exactly what had happened

Time Cowboy posted:

I haven’t posted in CC in ages, and I didn’t want to barge into some thread with reckless self-promotion, so I wanted to ask: what’s the preferred thread for posting a link to a new magazine I helped found, edit, and publish?
:justpost:

fauna fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 6, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the internet is great because the function of old-fashioned writers' guilds was taken over by roleplaying and fanfiction, which not only taught kids how to write, but opened them up to heights of drama their ancestors could only have dreamed of

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Angrymog posted:

Oh no, this was gross fanfic without actually including any sex. And Kamchack is iirc, the lead character in Gor. bleargh.

And wow, I don't think we had anything of that grade happen over on Europa.
europa was renowned as a haven of artistry and good taste, the american roleplayers all held it up as this distant paradise they were all longing to join but could never possibly be worthy of

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

FunkyAl posted:

An old man with a parrot gifted me an easel and a buncha magazines, so this is helping unblock the "creative" block.
fart

fauna fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 6, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

oh lord i'm so sorry, that's the most first world problem imaginable

e: i have deleted the self-absorbed rant about people buying me expensive art supplies. being honour-bound to create a large intricate work in a medium i despise is an opportunity for artistic self-transformation, and my friends are a blessing from heaven

fauna fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 6, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

FunkyAl posted:

As penance for this presumed rant you should post a panel form your webcomic.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

echinopsis posted:

fauna

my fingers have transformed into colour pencils. my wrists, colour pencils. my heart, a colour pencil

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it has been an unexpected joy rediscovering all these different shades of blue. delft blue, prussian blue, indigo, ultramarine! all blue, so alike, and yet not

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Karenina posted:

i for one am quite partial to indanthrene blue and light ultramarine. and light phthalo blue, that poo poo's where it's at
i do not have any of those colours :(

my blues are ultramarine, delft, smalt, cobalt, spectrum, sky, light, prussian, indigo, oriental (rude) and kingfisher. and turquoise, but is that a blue or a green? one of life's mysteries. anyway i'm trying to make use of all these blues to depict the natural biodiversity of leaves

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i am also rich in browns! burnt carmine, terracotta, copper beech, burnt sienna, raw sienna, burnt yellow ochre, golden brown, brown ochre, raw umber, burnt umber, vandyke brown, sepia, bronze, chocolate, and venetian red (it claims to be red, but lives among the browns)

so many colours, so little time

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Xarbala posted:

Most robins called "red" are actually orange, though robins with true red plumage also exist.
australia has a bright pink robin!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i would love to read your terrarium thread and see the in-progress shots!

as for the froggy temple, think about how you will reproduce something that has the form of a frog. frogs have a few different shapes depending on what they're doing - sitting, leaping, swimming - they have sleek bulbous lines coupled with muscularity and grace (in their outstretched hind legs, for instance). sketching a few photos of frogs in various stages of activity will really help you think about how you could apply those principles to the shape of a building. anatomy and finish isn't important, so you can just work off google images; just very rough sketches, trying to get the basic shapes down. irl temples have a lot of decorative features like towers and domes that could easily be made froglike, and most of those elements appear across cultures, so you wouldn't be plagiarising any one culture. think too about the colour and texture of a frog. they're usually in shades of green or brown, either solid-coloured to blend in on live leaves, or dappled to blend in with litter, and they are smooth and glossy, with vibrant jewel-like eyes. enamelling on a dome or roof could made it look very froglike, and there's endless possibilities to incorporate colour in windows and mosaics! good luck :frog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Axqu posted:

Thread is up for my paludarium build! Really excited about it. Still adjusting to what I do counting as a creative endeavor. Probably way wordier and spergier than I intended, but that's what happens when I get excited about a thing! It has been forever since I have been excited about a thing :)
it is so cool. i didn't realise at first that you were putting real live phibs in it, they are gorgeous and i can't wait to see their palace