Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Posted this in the resource thread, but I'm just gonna stick it here too since the OP linked this thread in the post before mine and I'll take as many opinions as I can get.

Some years back, a goon posted his WIP graphic novel here (possibly it was in GBS) and It looked incredible. I asked him about how was able to get such nice looking backgrounds/environments and he revealed that he was using a CAD program, and then I believe he redrew them in PS.

I'd like to do something similar. I have a project I'd like to start working on and I'd really like to build a foundation for what will amount to a ton of illustrations. I have zero experience with CAD. I'd like something that will let me build/pose crude models of my characters, and craft simple environments to create reference material for something that will later become ink/multimedia illustration. The only other requirement is that I'd like to have some sort of lighting system I can control. I guess tldr I want to be able to create story boards and remove the guess work from perspective and lighting because I'm lazy and let my self get too tripped up with perspective sometimes. It feels a little cheaty but whatever lol.

Do you guys have any recommendations for what program might be the best place to start? I know there are a lot of free ones, would they be sufficient and in that case which one would be the best? I'm also willing to pay a bit if it's worth the price although my funds are limited. Something that can run on a 5 year old macbook is also a huge plus.

Also any beginner tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of a luddite and I have very little experience with using computers for art in any capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks! Yeah I went for blender and I’ve found some good tutorials for it already and I’ve been able to go from “what am I looking at here?” to feeling like I have some sort of idea of what’s going on, at least in regards to the interface. I still don’t really know how to do anything it haha.

I’ll probably grab sketch up too and try that out. This might be a dumb question but can you import/export models between the two?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blender Guru Youtube channel is great. This guy owns. I'm making donuts lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My personal definition of art is something that someone, anyone has deemed art. It can be anything, good or bad. The only requirement is that someone has to feel it’s art, and it can be for any reason they see fit. I don’t see art as a compliment to the subject matter as many people do. I see it as a way to describe a feeling.

I always find “what is art” conversations to be silly, because I believe there is good art and bad art, but it is all art, and it’s all totally subjective and not even worth discussing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Agreed. I see the word art as something closer to “happy”, “sad” or “angry” than “painting” or “book”

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 7, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. Art needs to be it's own type of feeling because it can evoke all other emotions. Art can make you happy, sad, comfortable, angry, annoyed, or challenged. To me the word "art" is just saying that something has more emotional value than the sum of it's parts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the problem is that most people seem to use art as a word to validate things. Saying "this is art" is essentially saying "this is good" which can be articulated just fine with the latter statement. Imo that's the wrong way to think about art.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FunkyAl posted:

Subjectivity is most of what makes something worth discussing

That's not what I meant. It's not worth discussing whether or not something does or does not qualify as art. Discuss the subject matter itself, not whether or not it deserves to be in some theoretical category.

FunkyAl posted:

Fair points all! However there's defenitely a difference between things that are art and things that are of observable quality. Art I think is related to truth and creating meaning within a life. There's a reason people have always marked their environment or created myths and music and images and rituals, you can forge meaning within the fact not just that you lived, but were of a certain time or tribe or place or feeling or any aspect of an human animal living and sensing. It reflects your life and environment and is some way real. But would you call propaganda art? There's an art to it, like there's an art to all design, but does intentionally manipulating and obscuring symbols for the purposes of a state or other entity rob it of its true soul? How about people using principles of design to create eye catching packages? Can you actually call the image on a box of oreos art? It's more like copywriting. What do you call a bazooka joe comic? You can make art within a commecial context, but if you let it get too commercial something does bleed from it. The sistine chapel is about as good as the avengers movies. Both are worthless in the eyes of grizzly man. Or pinocchio!

Has someone found that Oreo package fascinating for some reason and deemed it art? If so, yes. If not, no. Keep in mind that someone can find art in something that the creator did not intend.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 8, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it's fine that people have different definitions of the word art, but for me it's pretty cut and dry. Art is something that someone finds artistic value in and that's pretty much it. The subjective part is why they find artistic value in it, and not if it qualifies as art in the first place.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I find the best thing to do when someone asks me to design a tattoo for them is tell them yes and then just never do it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a sculpting thread on the forums? can't find one that isn't adjacent to like, warhammer painting.

I want to pick it up as a hobby and was hoping there would be a good resource thread/place to post wip stuff

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol what?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh I got it. I just can’t tell if you are actually serious because lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah you are going to either have to use white paper, or make something like a silk screen or a stamp if you want to use orange paper.