Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have the book coming today and went back home yesterday to retrieve my old hot wheels. Had a few good ones but mostly had a ton of Micro Machines.

So now I'm going to Photoshop the templates down to realtive size and toss them up on BGG as Gaslands: Travel Edition. Mostly as a joke, but we are definitely going to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I love Necromunda due to its small scale combat and campaign, where each fight matters and impacts your crew. What's Gaslands' campaign system like? Also, how big of a table is it for?

I have this 4'x4' sandy Necromunda table topper I built that could use some love. Splashes of toxic waste and oil on a sandy base seems up this game's alley.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ravendas posted:

I love Necromunda due to its small scale combat and campaign, where each fight matters and impacts your crew. What's Gaslands' campaign system like? Also, how big of a table is it for?

I have this 4'x4' sandy Necromunda table topper I built that could use some love. Splashes of toxic waste and oil on a sandy base seems up this game's alley.

4'x4' is the default and assumes you are using 1/64 scale cars (e.g. Matchbox/hot wheels) - you could rescale the play area if you wanted to.

As for campaign rules, they just did a free expansion: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15XDAOETj5mry8R7oxC_QHWExt-7k1GKS/view

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

4'x4' is the default and assumes you are using 1/64 scale cars (e.g. Matchbox/hot wheels) - you could rescale the play area if you wanted to.

As for campaign rules, they just did a free expansion: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15XDAOETj5mry8R7oxC_QHWExt-7k1GKS/view

Oh, by campaign I just meant that each player gets a gang/group/force and each game changes it. Cars get destroyed and lost, cars are bought, upgraded, etc. But that's nice they're adding stuff for free like that.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
how complicated is this? Is it something you could play with a 5 year old?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ravendas posted:

Oh, by campaign I just meant that each player gets a gang/group/force and each game changes it. Cars get destroyed and lost, cars are bought, upgraded, etc. But that's nice they're adding stuff for free like that.

It has some pretty bare bones rules for that as well set up around a racing season, but it's minimalist.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

also to add to this: http://ferryfm13.thirteen.axc.nl/gaslands/ this is a site i found that lets you stat out a car and generate/print the car's stat sheet for you. it doesn't have descriptions of the actual bonuses but if you've got the book then it's super useful.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what do people use for bikes?

Also tutorials for simple re-painting? I showed this to my kid this morning and now we have to do it and I've never done painting or any of that stuff before so the most basic beginner stuff would be helpful.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 2, 2018

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what do people use for bikes?

Also tutorials for simple re-painting? I showed this to my kid this morning and now we have to do it and I've never done painting or any of that stuff before so the most basic beginner stuff would be helpful.

I just walked around Wal-mart 5 minutes and found a meter maid that I'm going to classify as a bike since it has 3 wheels and everything that's an actual bike looks very strange to me. Cars with no drivers are fine, but I drew the line at a dirt bike with no driver that was as tall as a schoolbus.

https://www.ebay.com/i/122952802621?chn=ps

I think I've also talked myself into the "sandpaper, light demolition, maybe sharpie" route on these. The full-body paint and weapon construction stuff looks like fun but it's a little intimidating.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 2, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Huxley posted:

I think I've also talked myself into the "sandpaper, light demolition, maybe sharpie" route on these. The full-body paint and weapon construction stuff looks like fun but it's a little intimidating.

This is probably what we'll start with, going through his hot wheels some are old, and so dinged up they already work and some are even already re-painted

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Doorknob Slobber posted:

This is probably what we'll start with, going through his hot wheels some are old, and so dinged up they already work and some are even already re-painted

I also read through a "how to make guns" PDF I've since lost. You can go a long way with erasers and toothpicks (particularly the sturdy ones with the banding) and hot glue. I'll probably mess around with that, too. I have two girls <6, so there's always miscellaneous crafting nonsense floating around my house.

These:

And my home is overflowing with this kind of stuff:

I honestly think it'll be more fun the less I spend. Restriction breeds creativity and such.

I might also take a lap around Michael's with a $5 and see what trouble I can get into.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 2, 2018

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I know what you’re talking about there - the pdf is Independent Gamer 1: Scratchbuilding Weapons for 1/64th Battle Cars - I think it came out of TMP or one of the older Car Wars Yahoo Groups.

The link above is to one of the only places I’ve found it preserved. Technically not :files: due to being a pdf instruction book laid out years ago on a random webring, but I’ll remove if it seems gauche.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Huxley posted:

That's what I did and it turned out well with very little effort

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Hedningen posted:

I know what you’re talking about there - the pdf is Independent Gamer 1: Scratchbuilding Weapons for 1/64th Battle Cars - I think it came out of TMP or one of the older Car Wars Yahoo Groups.

The link above is to one of the only places I’ve found it preserved. Technically not :files: due to being a pdf instruction book laid out years ago on a random webring, but I’ll remove if it seems gauche.

I'd like to download this but I'd rather not sign up for yet another site to do so. Can someone rehost it?

Edit: \/\/ This worked, thanks \/\/

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 2, 2018

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Ravendas posted:

I'd like to download this but I'd rather not sign up for yet another site to do so. Can someone rehost it?

Here you go: https://mega.nz/#!UvBwgCia!OUNpRKsD7FgIHl9d6q7yWIJDC2qLP2_iZ4NToiWX8q8

never used Mega before so hopefully this doesn't require some stupid thing to let you download.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I said TOTP I was going to make the smaller templates easier for if anyone wanted to play Micro Machines, and here it is if anyone is interested.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/165922/gaslands-travel-edition-templates-70-and-50

Rulebook recommends 70%, but I also included 50% since that seemed to align closer to the relative size of MM vs Hot Wheels.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Oh yeah, on campaign stuff in Gaslands: the designer is very open about how he wrote it, including mistakes and design concerns. In that spirit, I recommend reading the design blog: the relevant posts (in chronological order):

The final “season” system and design philosophy is one that I think does a good job for getting an escalating, connected campaign. Because designing stuff is a hobby, my personal variant “campaign season” method is as follows:
  • Game 1: teams start at 35 cans, with no Sponsor and no driver perks. Players can receive audience votes for actions from all Sponsors - keep track of which votes they receive. The most is their final Sponsor.
  • Game 2: teams are at 40 cans, may choose driver perks from one category, and must follow restrictions on hiring.
  • Games 3+: Standard escalation, but drivers may only get one driver perk/game.

Kinda vaguely testing it out? It’s an idea for teaching players and doing an escalation league that feels like a campaign without the issue of uneven footing for players, in the spirit of the original design.

I think the biggest thing that this needs is more scenarios/game types: Monster Truck Smash is a bit meh, and I think the rolling road mechanic from TX1 opens up some cool design spaces.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Hedningen posted:

Using the little wood hole plugs as a turret is my second favorite use of wood hole plugs in gaming.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

Using the little wood hole plugs as a turret is my second favorite use of wood hole plugs in gaming.

. . . that really makes me want to know what other uses they have.

Modeling progress: built out my current really dumb project, the Murderbus.

Still have putty work to take care of, but I think it’s a decent start.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That owns.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Hedningen posted:

looks fuckin' sick. what all materials are you using there? i've been hesitant to buy parts when i can just get stuff from the craft store for cheaper, and those corrugated steel plates look amazing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

Go to thingiverse and find what you want printed, and I guess post it here.

If you're still offering I'd happily pay you for 2x of these

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2943588

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2949905

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hedningen posted:

Make sure to add a shark tooth-decorated plow, barbed wire on the roof and chainsaws sticking out of the sides like the buses from Dawn of the Dead 2004.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Syndlig posted:

looks fuckin' sick. what all materials are you using there? i've been hesitant to buy parts when i can just get stuff from the craft store for cheaper, and those corrugated steel plates look amazing.

Materials are pretty basic: the corrugated-looking steel is textured plasticard. To get the rough look, I’ll fit the part, then attack it with some old sprue cutters to break up the edges and make the plates look interestingly worn. I can go over the technique at some point.

Windows are done using screen door mesh, plasticard strips, and patience. Rivets are made using sliced-up rods, and anything that looks like it was made of tubes was made of tubes, including that dumb-looking engine on the hood - I’m considering removing or at least modifying it more.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I started a print run off two of the weapons and some of the decorations. I forgot supports so I'll need to reprint some of the weapons, but I need to come back and start the rest of the decorations anyway.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just found this thread, didn't realise we had an official Gaslands one. Have played a couple of games so far though both have been big multiplayer events at my local games club that ended up not getting finished due to time constraints, I need to arrange to play a smaller game sometime.

I know Ramshackle has already been mentioned in the thread but they're doing an 'official' Gaslands 20mm car conversion kit - http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_product=428&id_product_attribute=0&rewrite=20mm-Car-Conversion-sets&controller=product - lots of rams, guns, crew and armour plates.

I picked up a bunch of Hotwheels (and notwheels) ages ago for like 50p each at a supermarket (intending to use them for Road wolf, but that never really took off locally), but so far I've only gotten around to converting and painting this one:

Bit of plasticard for the armour plate and spine, 40k Ork Meganob shoota attachment for the minigun.

Re the game, is it just me or are performance cars really good for the cost? Good handling and top speed, not much less armour than a normal car, plus a free move whenever someone rams you seem really strong.

Huxley posted:

I have the book coming today and went back home yesterday to retrieve my old hot wheels. Had a few good ones but mostly had a ton of Micro Machines.

So now I'm going to Photoshop the templates down to realtive size and toss them up on BGG as Gaslands: Travel Edition. Mostly as a joke, but we are definitely going to try it.

This sounds like a great idea, we were discussing something similar at the club after our last game.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

I know Ramshackle has already been mentioned in the thread but they're doing an 'official' Gaslands 20mm car conversion kit - http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_product=428&id_product_attribute=0&rewrite=20mm-Car-Conversion-sets&controller=product - lots of rams, guns, crew and armour plates.

Neat, they have 20mm bikers too

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

Re the game, is it just me or are performance cars really good for the cost? Good handling and top speed, not much less armour than a normal car, plus a free move whenever someone rams you seem really strong.

Performance cars are really good in terms of going fast and handling, yeah. I’ve seen a few methods to mitigate them - Fire and ramming are really, really useful, because the slip away activation triggers the Fire damage, and ramming keeps some pressure on them. Remember, even if they Evade, they still get Hazard tokens, and if you can stack enough on them, they’ll wipe out and have to build up speed again, plus as long as they’re on the edge, fire is doing its thing. Grenades are another cheap option to start putting pressure on them by adding hazards. Then again, I have generally been playing Slime and Idris teams, so that’s how I tend to deal with most problems.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

This sounds like a great idea, we were discussing something similar at the club after our last game.

Car looks great! I did end up doing that and posted it above:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/165922/gaslands-travel-edition-templates-70-and-50

I spent last night working on my first 3 cars and made it into work late today because I was buying paint and topcoat. Never done anything like this before but I can already see how making your cars is at least half the fun. Already daydreaming about terrain.

I guess I understand Warhammer, now.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 3, 2018

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Huxley posted:

Already daydreaming about terrain.

On that note, I just remembered a thing I saw online ages ago and realised would likely be relevant to this thread. Took me a while to track down! http://combatzonechronicles.net/cozoxb/plastrex.htm and http://terragenesis.com/infopages/page423.html

Basically making foil moulds of your cars and pouring in plaster to make wrecks for use as scenery. Not sure what scale the cars in the article are but this should be adaptable to both Hot Wheels and Micro Machines.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When I went home to get my old cars, I had a few real gems (like a Rice Krispies wagon and a Revco big rig) but also about 40 super cheap almost completely identical cars that clearly came in some knockoff set I got as a gift.

I'm going to knock the bottoms off a bunch of them and hot glue them together as permanent terrain, then stack the tires as destructible terrain.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Huxley posted:

When I went home to get my old cars, I had a few real gems (like a Rice Krispies wagon and a Revco big rig) but also about 40 super cheap almost completely identical cars that clearly came in some knockoff set I got as a gift.

my son got a few of these huge tubes of cheap plastic knock-offs for birthdays/christmas we're going to chop them up and use the car parts as 'armor'

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Seeing as I’m trying to get resources available for people, let’s talk terrain!

Since terrain stuff is cool, here’s my generic mat that I’m working on for post-apoc stuff that’s gotten borrowed for Gaslands. Inspired by Utah.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Hedningen posted:

This is #1.

Also murder bus owns.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are those elf farmers geting nuked?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The plugs are actually the good guys. The "elf farmers" are European settlers here to ravage the land and build towns and cities. The PCs are gods using magic powers to stop them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

I started a print run off two of the weapons and some of the decorations. I forgot supports so I'll need to reprint some of the weapons, but I need to come back and start the rest of the decorations anyway.

Awesome, you can email me at defeldus gmail and we can handle the details

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Powers posted:

Depending on how much this ends up being, I'd be interested in a set of weapons and deco as well.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I can't reasonably charge more than shipping and materials cost since it's not my designs. I definitely need to pare down what's in there too a standard print run. The armor plates are difficult because they take up so much room on the build plate. The heavy machine gun and the skulls on sticks didn't print correctly at all, so I'll need to cull those, too. The large cannons also add a fair amount of time since they're so much taller.

There's definitely going to be a throughput issue if more people are wanting these. I'll try to print up a few more sets over the holidays, but I don't think this will be a regular thing after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Also, first paint pass on my track. The idea was to have lots of options for configuration. No details cross tiles and the inner roads and outer roads have symmetry so these tiles can be put together in any configuration. Once the paint is fully dry I'm going to add some "weathering" to the lines on the road, add some dirt to the islands, and a guard rail around the outside.

• Locked thread