Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
are there any youtubers/twitchers playing this? ash from gmg has good production values but he gets so many rules wrong he might as well be playing a different game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

https://www.instagram.com/tehsid87/

These are my Gaslands cars so far. Been dragged away doing Age of Sigmar stuff at the moment, but plan on finishing a bunch more soon. Heaps of fun to be had and now my local supermarket is model shop...

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
those are fuckin dope. cant wait for my poo poo to turn up so we can start this.

rules question: nearly everyone i see on youtube is using multiple shifts to cancel hazards caused by shifting from the same roll. rules say shifts can discard one hazard, slide, or spin, result, or shift and gain hazards, or discard existing hazards from the vehicle. i read that last part to mean only hazards that are on your dashboard at that time (including any push it hazards since they're there before the apply step), and not hazards gained during the act of shifting.

am i missing something?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

those are fuckin dope. cant wait for my poo poo to turn up so we can start this.

rules question: nearly everyone i see on youtube is using multiple shifts to cancel hazards caused by shifting from the same roll. rules say shifts can discard one hazard, slide, or spin, result, or shift and gain hazards, or discard existing hazards from the vehicle. i read that last part to mean only hazards that are on your dashboard at that time (including any push it hazards since they're there before the apply step), and not hazards gained during the act of shifting.

am i missing something?

As far as I know, you are correct that you can't just use two shift dice to shift gears without gaining a hazard, but everyone seems to think that you can.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

am i missing something?

See the Page 13 example text for the example that clarifies this. Your reading of the timing is pretty correct, as the timing is as follows: Roll Skid Check, Apply Shift Results, Apply Hazards, Apply Skid, and then Apply Spin.

The issue comes from how Shift Results work: while it seems like Stick Shift would add a hazard in the “Apply Hazards” step, it instead specifically states that, “[the vehicle] immediately gains one hazard token”, meaning the token is added before the Hazard result phase. So, since you’re still in the Shift Result phase, you can choose to stick shift and gain a hazard, then discard a shift result to remove the hazard you just gained during that phase. So it’s basically the same as any Push It hazards, except it’s added in the Shift Results phase. The other way to look at it is that a Stick Shift changes the die from a Shift to a Hazard, which can then be canceled as normal.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Think of it this way - each shift die can do one of three things - cancel another die, remove a hazard, or shift gear and gain a hazard.

Say you roll 3 shifts and a slide on a vehicle. In the Apply Shifts step you can do the following:

1. Apply a shift to Gear Up and gain a hazard
2. Apply the second shift to remove the hazard you just got
3. Apply the last shift to cancel the slide

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
yeah i could see both ways. i guess its a question of whether you apply all the shift results simultaneously or sequentially.

i dont mind either way, i just wanna get it right. surprised theres nothing in the faq about it.

e: rule of carnage makes them uncancelable? lol

BIG MEATY SHITS fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 5, 2018

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Yeah, I feel like it should be called out more clearly. There’s the play example, but I think specifically calling it out would be a better idea, because timing stuff tends to be important.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
oh, yeah, i felt like i read that example but I missed this part

"The player then uses the fourth and final shift result to remove one of those hazard tokens she just gained from her dashboard."

i guess that settles that

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do Monster Trucks ignore treacherous terrain? They ignore rough terrain and treat treacherous terrain like rough terrain... which they ignore.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do Monster Trucks ignore treacherous terrain? They ignore rough terrain and treat treacherous terrain like rough terrain... which they ignore.

Sounds more like they just downgrade the terrain by one type.

Rough -> Normal.
Treacherous -> Rough.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

We’ve played it that it works like the Big Tires perk, which lets the vehicle ignore rough and treacherous terrain.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Where should I get templates and dice?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
i got the $20 set from here. hard to argue with that price. shipping was a bit steep tho, $8.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/615512387/gaslands-dice-counters-and-templates-set?ref=shop_home_active_3

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

i got the $20 set from here. hard to argue with that price. shipping was a bit steep tho, $8.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/615512387/gaslands-dice-counters-and-templates-set?ref=shop_home_active_3

That comes with 5 skid dice. Never having played, is that enough?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ravendas posted:

That comes with 5 skid dice. Never having played, is that enough?

Max handling is 5, right?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Max handling is 5, right?

You can get to Handling 6 by putting tank tracks on a bike. 7 if you have the Expertise perk. Technically 8 if you’re running the Idris Tank-Bike with Expertise and Overload.

The question that follows is obviously “why”, but you can do it.

Hedningen fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 5, 2018

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yeah, it does not follow that tank treads on a single track motorcycle increase handling. In that case it should be a handling handicap. Of course, if we only did things that made sense, the game would completely fall apart.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

To be fair, it’s a really dumb edge case that has no value, unless you really want a 6-handling motorcycle that can only get up to 5th and has no weapons. I could kinda see the value in running a bike like that with molotovs or grenades, but it’s enough of a sink I’m willing to say abstraction wins.

It’s still hilarious that you can make an incredibly high handling tank-bike.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Where's everyone finding the diamond metal screens to replace windows?

I can only find the normal screen for screen windows/doors that's square. The diamond looks way better, IMO.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Floppychop posted:

I can only find the normal screen for screen windows/doors that's square. The diamond looks way better, IMO.

Turn it 45'?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ravendas posted:

Turn it 45'?

vs

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Floppychop posted:

McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com) sells it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#expanded-metal/=1dlfcjq

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Check the papercraft areas of craft stores. They usually have a few racks of 'weird' sheets. I've found metal sheets of both styles that I've used for Necromunda.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am terrible at painting and limited my weapons etc to what I had lying around the house, but I did discover I enjoy these little things more when they kind of tell a story. Like my little fire chief here with scorch marks only on the back (because running away ... because stolen from the scene of a fire ... which HE started??) Just little dopey things like that are more fun for me than the actual game. Also ISIS truck with a giant gun sitting in the passenger seat (so he can reload and drive at the same time).

This situation, however, I tried not to think too hard about afterward (I do wish I had that pink in a jar to fix that smear but it was sprayed, c'est la vie).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm thinking that mashing up Gaslands with the ship construction of Galaxy Trucker could be hilarious.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm thinking that mashing up Gaslands with the ship construction of Galaxy Trucker could be hilarious.

they do make hotwheels sized spaceships

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mister Sinewave posted:

Every player gets several small outlines of cars/vans/bikes/etc, like 5-8 squares in size, to assemble a bunch of vehicles. The templates are paid for before the game starts.

When vehicles are attacked in the game, you can look at what's exposed on that side to see what gets hit. Exposed 'pipes' increase the damage done.

Use lego pieces to model the vehicles afterwards, using some flat pieces as a template, and various colored squares stuck to them to show what pieces are stuck there, for easy reference on the gameboard without having to look at everyone's sheets all game.

Edit: Hello, Osprey? Have I got a game for you.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 6, 2018

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Sounds like a game of Convoy, or something like MadMax or (showing my age here) Roadwar 2000,

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

are there any youtubers/twitchers playing this? ash from gmg has good production values but he gets so many rules wrong he might as well be playing a different game.

Does he get that much wrong? He's had a few games by now, I would hope he is slowly correcting his play. He usually calls out when he's been playing wrong, too.

I've only played one game but I used Idris and the Cult of Speed is where it's at. Nitro is so crazy and good.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I decided on going Mad Max "thunderpoon" style for my explosive rams. Still debating on where to mount the bugger though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tehsid posted:

These are my Gaslands cars so far. Been dragged away doing Age of Sigmar stuff at the moment, but plan on finishing a bunch more soon. Heaps of fun to be had and now my local supermarket is model shop...

these are really cool, I just went to the thrift shop and bought a bunch of cars so I can get started. Where did you get all the bits that you added? What are some good resources for learning to repaint the cars?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

jodai posted:

Does he get that much wrong? He's had a few games by now, I would hope he is slowly correcting his play. He usually calls out when he's been playing wrong, too.

I've only played one game but I used Idris and the Cult of Speed is where it's at. Nitro is so crazy and good.

hes gotten better but is still loving up a lot of stuff. he was pushing it multiple times in the latest one for some reason and getting the collision/wipeout steps all messed up.

also the latest one is just hard to watch overall. hes normally pretty pushy with the people he plays and rushes them a lot (while fudging poo poo in his favour), but the girl may as well had not been there for all the 'helping' he and the other dude were doing.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Weekend’s vague work, along with setting up and troubleshooting a 3D printer. I think the roof on the truck is a bit too much, but I thought it looked worse without it.

Recent game went pretty good: demoed it for a buddy who loved Car Wars back in the day, and he’s already looking for his old Hot Wheels to modify. Nothing particularly spectacular, except for a victory caused by the classic “Wipeout over the finish line”.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
its too bad these bikes on shapeways seem like they'd be a bit too big. that guy prints off a few different styles for 40k that would be perfect if they were just a bit smaller.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On our first learning game the other night, my wife and I each had one car with a machine gun and the book said, "Just drive around trying to kill each other."

We circled around some obstacles (upturned play-dough cups, wheee), took some shots at each other with pistols, then collided head-on each in 5th gear, killing us both instantly.
My wife asked, "Wait is that it? We both died?"
Uh, as far as I understand the rule we basically each take lethal damage, roll a little ways past each other and then maybe explode, and that's it.
After a long pause she says, "Yeah, I like this a LOT more than X-wing."

Haha.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Things I've learned since I started converting:

1) Hotwheels cars come in two varieties: ones with plastic uppers and metal wheel bases, and ones with metal uppers and plastic wheel bases. I find the first easier to deal with, and you can usually identify which is which by flipping the car over and taking a look at the pegs on the bottom.

1a) Plastic-topped cars with bare metal wheel bases that you won't have to strip is probably the best 'start,' simple green will strip the decal paint of the plastic cars no problem.

1b) Plastic-topped cars with painted metal wheel bases are probably the hardest to use, you'll need acetone to strip them and...

2) Acetone melts Hot Wheels tires, don't put anything plastic in it unless you want to see that thing melted (anyone know where I can find replacement tires?)

3) Whatever they paint metal-topped hotwheels cars with, Simple Green doesn't seem to be enough to fully strip them. You'll probably need acetone, or you'll need to be willing to paint over 3-4 paint layers which I'm not fond of. I've had only marginal success with Simple Green (two metal vehicles stripped successfully), and one Monster Truck chassis that just absolutely refuses to peel even the top decal coat.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

I think that they’re technically powdercoated, then decals added. So it’s a bitch and a half to strip. I’m continuing my experiments, but so far:
  • Acetone worked pretty well, but is kinda rough.
  • Simple Green didn’t do much.
  • Purple Clean stripped decals and was wheel-safe. Stripped the chrome, too. Did not touch the powder coat.
  • Fire either does nothing or melts cars into slag.

Printing up gates on my 3d printer - Gate 1 was my test, and it worked all right, so I’m gonna slice and print the remaining gates tonight.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think I'm just going to primer and paint over the existing paint on my metal hot wheels.

If it chips and shows paint underneath it'll just add to the post-apocalyptic aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
If you can find any of the fast and furious cars from hot wheels, they don't need much work to look post apocalyptic. One of them has little bullet hole decals on it too.

That being said, I got some cheap ones from the dollar store I'm actually going to paint and stuff.

• Locked thread