Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Are you doing any rams or armor or just random spiky bits? For once in my life I regret not being into warhammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Are you doing any rams or armor or just random spiky bits? For once in my life I regret not being into warhammer

Take a look on ebay for "bags of bits" for miniatures or "warhammer bits". Sometimes you find some great packs. Most of the time it's expensive as poo poo, but you can find a good deal...

Also check those weird Russian mini sites, they often do big bundles of bits that you could use. I haven't tried them myself, but I know of people who have and have gotten some good stuff.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I know I can make some rams. poo poo, I’ll probably take some pictures of stuff tonight as soon as I get home.

Thanks, everyone who contacted me! I’ll be printing stuff out and making up some proper sheets so I can track what is going out where!

Remember to keep posting conversions and projects here, too! Nothing quite beats seeing how people are using stuff like this.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, we're posting our WIP / backlog pics, huh?

Well, I've got a couple (ok, twenty) I'm actively working on:

Eyepatch the BattleBus (cityworks version Hot Wheels High) has a cannon, and I've reinforced most of the windows with screen, as well as reinforcing the entrance door. I didn't take a shot of it but it's also got a pair of rocket boosters in the back (stock for the model)

AR-420 the Humvee (dino riders version Humvee) has a pair of rockets and the prow has been reinforced with sharpened i-beams for ramming. All of the windows have been armored over, but sheet metal doesn't help much. The aerial is made out of a plastic-covered paperclip with most of the plastic covering stripped.

Gun Raider (digital circuit version Blade Raider) has had its headlights replaced with machine guns. I really like the purple glass so it's probably not getting modified further, instead it's going to get to be one of my high-tech vehicles.

The nameless Piledriver got a reinforced ramming bumper (since it has none) and a side-mounted machinegun made of toothpicks and wood. The body's pretty heavily riveted already so I'm not sure it needs any other modification. I might give it an aerial or a flag or something.

Ultimate Muscle is the (CCM Country Club Muscle) in the back. The windows have been replaced with hexagonal mesh, and it has a pair of machine guns mounted under the doors.

The Lady of Pain (checkmate-series "queen" Velocita) has no weapons other than the front spikes, the ones on the back are just for show. I picked up some color-shift paint I'm going to try out on her. This car's probably my absolute favorite.

Nosecone (Electrack) has had a trio of WWII fighter-type machine guns mounted in the nose. I want to do something else with it but I'm not sure what. Very possibly I'll carve a hole in its transparent plastic side so you'll still be able to see the highly-detailed engine after it's painted.

Speedbuggy (Sandivore) is another one of my favorites. It's got a six-pack rocket launcher and a machine gun. I'm also considering giving it an aerial or a flag.

The nameless hw metro version Backdrafter is already such an absurd car I just threw a missile on it and called it a day. I'm considering a ramming prow but I haven't settled on any designs yet. I don't really like this guy, but it's too ridiculous not to use.

La Dame Muerta (snow stormers version So Plowed) has been battered with a sphere cutter and the plow has been reinforced with toothpick spikes. The statue I got from a Michaels, the plastic's too hard to do anything useful with so I'm going to cast a blue stuff mold of it and make duplicates for scenery as well as breaking one up to mount in the back.

The nameless buggy glow wheels version Rip Rod is the only car I really want duplicates of. If you pull off the exterior its interior frames are really well designed for buggy-type cars in general. The base was bare metal and the top was plastic so it was super easy to strip and disassemble, it just needs engines of various types and styles and you could make a dozen different buggies out of this one design.

Ratwrench (glow wheels version Aristo Rat) I haven't decided on weapons for yet. It got "dented" with a sphere cutter and the passenger-side door has been removed so after it's painted you'll hopefully be able to see the rat with a wrench that got molded onto the baseboard. Probably my favorite feature in any Hot Wheels vehicle and it's something you'd only ever see if you took the car apart. ... probably going to fill the tiny cargo tab in back with explosives or something.

Hot Rig (Trackin' Truck Fire & Fuel) has had the cab reinforced with sheet metal and a flamethrower turret mounted to the top. The turret's not glued in yet so it can still swivel. I'm not going to do anything else to the cab because that front chassis with the exposed engine is already classy. Don't know what I'm going to do with the trailer yet.

General Grant (main street version '69 Dodge Charger) hasn't even been stripped yet, but it's getting General Grant's 36 star camp flag on the top and likely won't be modified further. We'll see if I keep the blue windshield or if I go without.

Spy Hunter (Driftsa) reminded me of the car from Spy Hunter. No major modifications yet, but I stripped out the ugly yellow glass and added two big obvious fuel tanks that're visible through the rear window. The cabin's already modeled with nitro. I may dent it up some, but this car's one of my favorites so it may not get any other external modifications.

The nameless holiday races version Rodger Dodger is a mold that's been around since the 70s, so I had to use it. No idea what I'm going to do with it yet but it's Mad Max-y as heck. Very possibly I'm going to paint it drab green and name it the General Sherman, then punch a cannon through the front window.

Land Train (Truckin Transporters Rock N' Race) is a sexy beast of a big rig with an incredibly lovely trailer that I've pulled apart and didn't bother to take a picture of. I'm going to use the base of the trailer to make... something. I haven't decided what that something is yet, but ideas are percolating.

The nameless Track Hammer is probably getting a row of spikes up the spine. I've made the passenger a machine gun out of wood, but I can't mount it until I've got it primed and glue the top on. I like how the passengers are modeled, I don't like how the acetone I had to use to strip the two-part metal body (!!) melted the tires. :v:

The nameless (2018 Avengers Hawkeye series Purple Passion) I have no idea what I'm going to do with. It's got such classy lines, it's very fallout. I'm thinking some 1950s-style ray guns if I can get them, but I dunno. No matter what that purple windscreen's gotta go.

The nameless (X-Raycer version Monteracer) is another car I melted the wheels of trying to strip the paint off the base. I think it'll look nice painted but I have no idea what else to do with it.

The 2017 mud-version Thrasher was a bear to work with. It's only held on by a single rivet, but it's in so deep it's nearly impossible to line it up to drill it out. I had to soak it in acetone 3 times before the paint finally lifted, I couldn't even get the decals off after the first attempt! And now that it's stripped I'm not looking forward to trying to re-attach it to the wheel base. I beat it up a little with the sphere cutter and 'broke' its windshield to show my displeasure. I haven't fully rejected using this yet, but it needs some serious thought.

The black Guv'nor that came with the Land Train is a piece of poo poo without a modeled interior. When I melted the wheels on the base my response was "Oh well" and I've resigned to use it for war rig parts or for terrain.

The lovely yellow x-rayers Voltage Spike is the worst of the lot. The teal front bumper and rear spoiler don't match up with the plastic yellow chassis, and they (and the roll cage) are made of such soft material I don't think I'll be able to paint them. I thought it might be fun to include an obviously electric car, but now I'm convinced this piece of poo poo is fit only for terrain.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 23, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tehsid posted:

Take a look on ebay for "bags of bits" for miniatures or "warhammer bits". Sometimes you find some great packs. Most of the time it's expensive as poo poo, but you can find a good deal...

Also check those weird Russian mini sites, they often do big bundles of bits that you could use. I haven't tried them myself, but I know of people who have and have gotten some good stuff.

thanks for this, you're right that there is a bunch of stuff on ebay. The best part of searching for a bag of bits on ebay is that it autocompletes to a bag of dicks

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I also don't know if this is any help to anybody. I'm tempted, but I could get it locally if I went around to different shops, but I'm lazy...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/614818224/gaslands-team-kit-custom-kit-for

quote:

In each kit are chains, diamond plates, corrugated sheet, diamond-window mesh, brass rod, piano wire, Ttyrene of different thicknesses, I-beams and angle iron and even a motorcycle.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

In between running print jobs and working on larger conversion projects, had the opportunity to slap a bit of paint on one of my projects. Building out my Idris team: this vehicle is the classic Performance Car with double-nitro and a heavy machine gun. Still needs washing, weathering, and highlights, but I love the Aristo-Rat base.

Second Idris Performance Car. Front-mounted minigun, Nitro, and Smoke.

Here’s a big ol’ sheet of weapon prints. Takes about 18 hours.

Still determining total print timing for all my parts. Getting a list set up near my printer. I figure actually knowing how long poo poo takes is a good idea, yeah?

I’ll try to grab some pictures when I get a game in.

Sidenote: Why the hell did Hayland Terrain decide not to name anything beyond Weapon 1, Armor 2, etc? I’ve just renamed about two hundred stl files to something that’s readable at a glance and useful for doing little quick “full kit” jobs. At least now I can sort of navigate my file system and, say, create a file with a bunch of different-sized rockets, armor, and a set of wheels. Once I refine my randomizer, I think I may need to make little demo packs for the LGS with a car and enough parts to make something neat.

Hedningen fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 24, 2018

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

The channel has been recommended here, but baremetalHW has two :science: videos that are good to take a look at if you're working on cars that need a lot of restoration work.

Electrolysis Oxidation Removal. Chemist goons can probably chime in, but the comments indicate that the method he uses is not entirely safe. Stainless steel should not be used, but most other ferrous metals seem to be fine? Just don't electroucute yourself, kids. Also, from poking around other videos, a lot of other people recommend using plain water and Washing Soda (also known as Laundry Soda, NOT baking Soda) and not phosphoric acid. Probably cheaper / easier to find the acid anyway.

Zinc Plating Holy poo poo this one is impressive. I've you've got a car beat to poo poo, and not in a good way, this is pretty cool.

E:

I just remembered some other information that may be useful to people. Diecast cars are apparently made of a mixture of metals called ZAMAC. That stands for Zinc, Magnesium, Aluminum, and Copper. The cars themselves should not be ferrous, so don't get pieces in your eyes cause a magnet ain't gonna help the doctor pull it out. They gotta pluck every piece.

Myrmidongs fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 27, 2018

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Hedningen posted:

In between running print jobs and working on larger conversion projects, had the opportunity to slap a bit of paint on one of my projects. Building out my Idris team: this vehicle is the classic Performance Car with double-nitro and a heavy machine gun. Still needs washing, weathering, and highlights, but I love the Aristo-Rat base.

Second Idris Performance Car. Front-mounted minigun, Nitro, and Smoke.

Here’s a big ol’ sheet of weapon prints. Takes about 18 hours.

Still determining total print timing for all my parts. Getting a list set up near my printer. I figure actually knowing how long poo poo takes is a good idea, yeah?

I’ll try to grab some pictures when I get a game in.

Sidenote: Why the hell did Hayland Terrain decide not to name anything beyond Weapon 1, Armor 2, etc? I’ve just renamed about two hundred stl files to something that’s readable at a glance and useful for doing little quick “full kit” jobs. At least now I can sort of navigate my file system and, say, create a file with a bunch of different-sized rockets, armor, and a set of wheels. Once I refine my randomizer, I think I may need to make little demo packs for the LGS with a car and enough parts to make something neat.

Any chance you can link to the files you used to print some of these?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got any reasonably well scaled heli or gyrocopter and tank recommendations?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A WIP update.

My War Rig is nearly complete, it's got a flamethrower turret on the front, and two machine guns and a harpoon gun on the back. It's also got some gunner nests on the side because overhanging walkways would make it pretty difficult to scale. I just need to find some scale dudes to ride on the trailer.

La Dame Muerta has a broken-up copy of that craft store dollhouse statue in the truck bed. I casted it with Blue Stuff / Oyumaru and it worked really well.

I also made a cast of my classic car topper with Oyumaru (it's reusable!), which I filled with Green Stuff because I've got two tubes of the stuff I've been working on using up for nearly a decade and I'm still only about half done. This was more a concept test, I can't use the green stuff as an actual topper because it's not sturdy enough, but I can make molds of any vehicle I want and fill them with air-drying clay for use in terrain features or even green stuff them up for use enhancing other vehicles.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone played JUNK'D? its on drive thru games as a pdf for only $4. Looks like it also uses hot wheels size cars and is more focused on racing down a stretch of highway than in an arena.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

This was more a concept test, I can't use the green stuff as an actual topper because it's not sturdy enough, but I can make molds of any vehicle I want and fill them with air-drying clay for use in terrain features or even green stuff them up for use enhancing other vehicles.

You can use or mix in a harder epoxy clay if you want harder casts. I use Apoxie Sculpt, but there's similar stuff you can pick up at the store for general repair (plumbing, automotive) or Brown Stuff. Depending on how much detail is needed add more green stuff. Generally I use 2:1 or 3:1 Apoxie/green stuff which gives a good balance of being stiff but not too brittle. Other benefit is it typically cures faster so you can have a piece in an hour or two.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I didn't know those were blendable / mixible, I'll have to give that a try!

So, what's everyone's preferred sponsor / vehicle combo?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

I didn't know those were blendable / mixible, I'll have to give that a try!

So, what's everyone's preferred sponsor / vehicle combo?

Depends on the game/how I’m feeling.

Slime Buggy + Battlehammer + Ram is a hilarious combination. Yeah, you’re lightweight and a bit fragile, but it’s so easy to stack Hazards that you can turn them into little pinballs of death. Plus, you can fit three into a 50-can game.

Alternately, the Slime Murderbus: Bus with Battlehammer, Murder Tractor, Overload, 2 rams and an exploding ram. 50 cans exactly, but can get stupid as hell.

I’ll post the STLs I’m using. Sorry I haven’t mailed stuff out yet: life has gotten crazy and ate up a bunch of time when the goddamn post office was open. Still printing stuff, although my current roll of PLA is having adhesion issues and I may need to do another rebuild.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Someone should reskin Slime to Slurm. They're a much more believable corporate sponsor than some Aussie punk band!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I just found out the Gaslands World Championships are at GenCon at 8pm tonight. I'll grab some pics if I make it there.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

A WIP update.

My War Rig is nearly complete, it's got a flamethrower turret on the front, and two machine guns and a harpoon gun on the back. It's also got some gunner nests on the side because overhanging walkways would make it pretty difficult to scale. I just need to find some scale dudes to ride on the trailer.

La Dame Muerta has a broken-up copy of that craft store dollhouse statue in the truck bed. I casted it with Blue Stuff / Oyumaru and it worked really well.

I also made a cast of my classic car topper with Oyumaru (it's reusable!), which I filled with Green Stuff because I've got two tubes of the stuff I've been working on using up for nearly a decade and I'm still only about half done. This was more a concept test, I can't use the green stuff as an actual topper because it's not sturdy enough, but I can make molds of any vehicle I want and fill them with air-drying clay for use in terrain features or even green stuff them up for use enhancing other vehicles.

Yeah yeah, that's cool and all, but...is that loving Megas XLR in the background?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Exciting news: Time Extended 2 is out shortly, plus there’s been some cool announcements regarding the next contest - Truckasaurus for TX3.

Any goons gonna try to build one? I’m already sketching stuff.

Oh yeah: Patreon supporters have early access, so I have the lowdown. New weapons are pretty mixed: most interesting for me is the Harpoon, which is pretty much everything I wanted.

Finally, first shipments go out tomorrow. I need to fix my printer to get more wheels going - getting just absolutely lovely prints.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
WIP for my Miyazaki Supercar the Queen of Blades

It's the highest of the high tech without a smidge of dirt, the pink is actually color-shifting paint (which I've just learned doesn't photograph well). In person the car has an iridescent purple sheen to it when the light catches it.

I'm trying to decide whether the ramming blades and crown need a silver leading edge. The silver might help them stand out, but at the same time that color-shift paint had to be applied over the course of ten very thin layers and I'd hate to ruin the effect. Thoughts?

Silhouette posted:

Yeah yeah, that's cool and all, but...is that loving Megas XLR in the background?

Sort-of. It's mostly the Psyco Gundam. Mostly.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

So there's a Wacky Races board game coming out sometime. Anyone else tempted to pick it up and use the cars in Gaslands?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Picked this up and played a few games with some friends and we all love it. I'm having a blast customising cars for it!

I've gotta say my favorite thing is that a new "unit" costs like £1, so I'm currently upto 16 cars in my pile to kitbash and about 20 more for parts/scrap.

Actually on a whole I'm really liking how cheap it is. Granted I've probably spend about £50 on various supplies, but I've now got enough stuff to build endless amount of terrain and cars.

I'm really excited for the next Time Extended too as I've really been wanting to build some harpoons.

If anyone feels like posting some of their own creations I'd love to see them as I'm looking for inspiration and ideas. I'll try to remember and post pics of my own too

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Does anyone know a good model for a motorcycle on this game's scale? I wanted to do at least a few of the Twisted Metal vehicles (because I have no imagination) and can't find a model for Mr. Grimm that doesn't look too big and goofy (in the wrong way)

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

If anyone is still looking for "plain" cars, I came across this looking for a diecast of my Impreza

http://www.subispeed.com/2017-subaru-impreza-5-door-die-cast-toy

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Just got the book a few days ago, pretty excited to puzzle out how to port this to the Interstate '76/Vigilante 8/Damnation Decade universe.

PoptartsNinja posted:

General Grant (main street version '69 Dodge Charger) hasn't even been stripped yet, but it's getting General Grant's 36 star camp flag on the top and likely won't be modified further. We'll see if I keep the blue windshield or if I go without.

You should have named it the General Sherman and made it molotov/oil slick themed. D+ :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Father Wendigo posted:

You should have named it the General Sherman and made it molotov/oil slick themed. D+ :colbert:

The one I got had a blue windshield rather than a clear one, so painting it army drab would've looked awful.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sephyr posted:

Does anyone know a good model for a motorcycle on this game's scale? I wanted to do at least a few of the Twisted Metal vehicles (because I have no imagination) and can't find a model for Mr. Grimm that doesn't look too big and goofy (in the wrong way)

I ordered a pack from ramshackle games and they're way too small unfortunately. I'll probably still use them but bummer. They're neat little models regardless.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

I think I remember reading micro machines bikes were about right? I haven't been able to find any of mine to compare though.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Is there a generally accepted size or template for each of the vehicle types, or is it played by model?

Huxley posted:

I've discovered this this doesn't bother me much. But what does is, the established timeline of the game is Mars blowing up the Earth in like, 1992 or something. And after doing a few cars, it came to actually bother me having consumer cars from after this era as options.

I'd imagine earth regularly gets shipments of used Martian cars, since those rich fuckers would probably shoot themselves before being seen with a car older than two years.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

Is there a generally accepted size or template for each of the vehicle types, or is it played by model?

There’s recommended base sizes in the book if you decide you want to add bases, but I’ve mostly played it by vehicle. The only thing that needs a base IMO are bikes: I too have a bunch of Ramshackle bikes, and I’m likely gonna do 2-3 per base so it looks a little more in scale.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Okay, fess up, which one of you was the grey-haired guy at the supermarket methodically searching through the Hot Wheels display at my supermarket?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Ha, I think the same thing whenever I see anybody looking through Hot Wheels at Walmart.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Oh wow new Time Extended is out! New weapons look amazing.

I'm especially pleased that they've added a wreck-flinger as I've been wondering what weapons to fit on my car transporter war rig: https://i.imgur.com/dUnMjOc.jpg (hope that links correctly!) which is filled with scrap car hulls. So I guess I'll be making a trebuchet, heck yeah!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not quite done (I haven't done my typical gloss -> matte sealant coat yet) but it's close enough to show off:

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

That looks amazing.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not quite done (I haven't done my typical gloss -> matte sealant coat yet) but it's close enough to show off:

Whoah, I love it. What's the story with the giant marble woman in the back? It looks like an ISIS looter truck.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's La Dame Muerta, a single-axle snowplow truck (not a pickup!) which weighs 25 tons with that broken statue of the Virgin Mary in its salt bed (that's not unusual for a plow, those beasts are heavy!).

I figure it's driven by someone who's "wasteland religious" and gets most of the details wrong. They found a broken statue of Mary that looked like it was bleeding from the eyes and decided to cart it along as a "miracle." Really all it does is make the plow truck even heavier and harder to move.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Maybe it's just good luck and freaks out the squares.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

PoptartsNinja posted:

La Dame Muerta

It's loving baller!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Here's the only other one I've done that's nearly complete:

It reminds me of Death Race 2000, so I've just been calling it Death Racer for the time being. I'll think of something better. Or I won't. Either/or!

I liked this one because it came with molded crew. The only part of this car that's been well cared-for is the gun! :haw:

• Locked thread