Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I am commencing to smoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

I tried one cigarette and it made me cough till I throw up, what did I do wrong.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kazak posted:

I am commencing to smoke

:same:

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

berth ell pup posted:

champix makes people go postal/suicidal. gently caress that

been smoking like a loving chimney lately btw it's not so great

Smoking is just a long, expensive suicide anyway. Better to go out with a bang.

People can react badly to Champix but you know what the solution to that is? Stop taking it.

Is there a simple solution for spending 10-20 dollars a day on cigs and then dying an extremely painful death?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Addiction is a stupid problem where your brain tells you 100% you need the medicine and not the cure.

Anyway im smoking rn

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Spermanent Record posted:

Is there a simple solution for spending 10-20 dollars a day on cigs and then dying an extremely painful death?

I spend, like, $8 every three weeks on cigarettes because I only smoke five or six on the weekend.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
A pouch of tobacco costs nearly $40 here and i buy a few per week

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Isaac posted:

A pouch of tobacco costs nearly $40 here and i buy a few per week

Do you have a sweet cigarette case for your rollies?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Do you have a sweet cigarette case for your rollies?

I just roll them from the plastic pouch they come in

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Spending time to preroll cigarettes makes no sense imo sometimes I want a ciggy shaped like a fat joint sometimes I want a crazy thin prison cigarette

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Wait Isaac are you paying 40 dollars for a 25 g pouch or are you smoking 3+ 50g pouches a week? Both are insane I just wanna know which it is

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Wait Isaac are you paying 40 dollars for a 25 g pouch or are you smoking 3+ 50g pouches a week? Both are insane I just wanna know which it is

25g ruby is $37

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My parents hate when I go outside late at night to smoke because they think the home invaders are waiting for an innocent smoker to open the door and allow them free entry. Jokes on them because I never lock the back door because I like to be able to get outside as quickly as possible!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
If anything, vaping, like people who wear crocs, lets me know how incredibly bad and terrible someone's opinions will be, without them even uttering a word.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

My parents hate when I go outside late at night to smoke because they think the home invaders are waiting for an innocent smoker to open the door and allow them free entry. Jokes on them because I never lock the back door because I like to be able to get outside as quickly as possible!

You should move to Canada, the land of the unlocked door, for true smoking swiftness!

Ka0 posted:

If anything, vaping, like people who wear crocs, lets me know how incredibly bad and terrible someone's opinions will be, without them even uttering a word.

:agreed: tho it depends a bit I guess on why the person is vaping. If they're doing it to quit and aren't obnoxious about sub ohming or w/e then they're fine by me.

all other vapers can rot tho

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/971833929589288960

Ka0 posted:

Crocs are dope, people who judge Crocs are uniformly crocks of poo poo!

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

My parents hate when I go outside late at night to smoke because they think the home invaders are waiting for an innocent smoker to open the door and allow them free entry.

Just remind them that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was caught by a regular dude who just happened to step out into his backyard for a smoke.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Just remind them that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was caught by a regular dude who just happened to step out into his backyard for a smoke.

"Mom and dad, I'm just trying to be a hero."

Up for that first smoke of the day before dejectedly putting clothes on and heading to work.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Ka0 posted:

The only people I know who vape are ex smokers

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I'm doing it again

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The American Spirit Menthols were on sale at my local gas station. Only $7.43 for a pack and I am now smoking one. Very smooth tasting cigarette that I have always enjoyed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

The American Spirit Menthols were on sale at my local gas station. Only $7.43 for a pack and I am now smoking one. Very smooth tasting cigarette that I have always enjoyed.

Yeah, those are good

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ciggys are too dang expensive making me resent anyone who smokes mine

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Camels were $2.60 a pack when I started as a teenager. I don't know if I was one now if I'd have ever started, what with these prices

E: :corsair:

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
i got american spirits when i was in the us. also found them in denmark. the best cigarette after gauloises

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Are cigarettes outrageously priced in Florida? I was visiting a friend in Tampa, and a pack of Dunhills was like $11.50. I'm used to paying around $8 for them, so I don't know if Florida tobacco tax is stupid high or if I was just getting swindled by the cigar shop I visited.

As a side note, more places need to carry non-poo poo cigarettes. Grocery stores now carry huge amounts of craft beer singles, so why do 95% of places only carry approximately eight different brands of smokes?

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Are cigarettes outrageously priced in Florida? I was visiting a friend in Tampa, and a pack of Dunhills was like $11.50. I'm used to paying around $8 for them, so I don't know if Florida tobacco tax is stupid high or if I was just getting swindled by the cigar shop I visited.

As a side note, more places need to carry non-poo poo cigarettes. Grocery stores now carry huge amounts of craft beer singles, so why do 95% of places only carry approximately eight different brands of smokes?

Florida goon checking in and as I've lived in Florida my whole life I'm not sure. Like in the Orlando area a pack of Newports go for around 7 bucks. Usually going to a smoke shop gets the cigs for cheaper. I use Newport prices as a barometer because they're everywhere. Usually one of the brands every store has.

And I'm with you on places needing better selections. I don't wanna smoke the same poo poo tasting cancer every time.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

von Braun posted:

i got american spirits when i was in the us. also found them in denmark. the best cigarette after gauloises

American Spirits were my go to brand for a while but after a bit the price got to be too much for my barebones budget. Hopefully the price drop I saw yesterday isn't a temporary special.

E: My apologies for the double post.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

RJ Reynolds bought Nat Sherman not too long ago. They used to come in those big gently caress off Fantasia sized packs but they've repackaged them to normal size now and they're pushing them hard. Every place I'm at now they have $4 per pack coupons with em. Personally I prefer the green Nat's to the green American Spirits.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
i paid like 12 bucks for american spirits in new york

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I wish camel made those orange flavored cigarettes still. I’d take up smoking if I could buy those again.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

I had a dream last night about "Juul" -- I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS. I've read about it online, and they say it's for kids. I don't think kids should smoke anything. But in my dream the thing was like $50, and then all the other things were $9. Is this how it works?
I prefer inhaling the toxins from things I can see, you know. Not 'vapors' or whatever. :clint:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Smoking atm :fag:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My smokes cost like $42 now

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Cigarettes in North Carolina are like $6 a pack. I pay about $7.50 for American Spirits where I live in TN. They dont stock Sprits where i am rn and I dont want to drive off the island so I've got some Marlboro Red 100s I bought at the pier shop for the princely sum of $6.30.

When I first started smoking a lot (also in NC, and it was a bad idea) some ten years ago I used to smoke Winston regulars and they cost $27 a carton or $3 a pack individually. They actually used to be pretty decent cigarettes but I havent had one in years.

Anyway I'm going out into the drizzle to go have a smoke, god bless.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I used to smoke so I get it. Started on Marlboro reds (:shrug:), bounced over to back and forth between Lights/No27s. Was on a Parliament kick for a while. $10 a pack in Chicago did little but trigger me and my friends to eventually start buying loose and rolling our own. American Spirit Blacks were nice but hard to find in my area. Lucky Strikes were amazing when I tried them and I probably would have stuck with them long term if I hadn't quit. I tried gum/patch/wellbutrin and kept coming back. Finally I quit cold turkey. I think I was just sick of being sick. I listened to the audiobook for Alan Carr's the easy way to quit smoking around that period so I'm not sure if that helped but that was years ago and once you cross that point in your life where you actually quit it's totally easy from then out. The physical symptoms of withdrawal go away after only a week or so. I did incidentally stop hanging around with other smokers though so that probably helped me a lot. I got my sense of smell back that I didn't even know I had lost

It's crazy because that was when I was younger. Since then for other reasons I went into healthcare and I now find myself working in a big urban Emergency Department. I see the long term consequences daily. The US healthcare system is rapidly going downhill for money reasons so if you don't lead a healthy lifestyle you're basically signing up for a miserable final 15 years of life with frequent ER visits. You'll have CHF/COPD/ESRD exacerbations and feel like you're suffocating/drowning because your body loses control over how fluid is balanced between your cells, tissues, and bloodstream. Most of them come in because they are sick to the point where they can't function in life but not sick to the point where they need to be rushed back for life saving treatment so they have to wait with along with all the other nonemergent patients. At some point you will probably develop an opiate problem because we'll start you on them but won't increase the dosage as fast as your tolerance increases.

We see a lot of these people and they are usually between 45-65. If they last long enough to make it to medicare they basically enter that system with a ton of chronic problems and soak up more resources than they contributed to earlier in life. It's a pretty vicious circle because hospitals have to compensate for the increasing costs by increasing volume and reducing staffing, so there isn't enough time for docs and nurses to be more aggressive with treating the underlying psychosocial dysfunction that is causing the unhealthy behavior. We stabilize you, adjust your meds, and send you on your way. Part of the problem is that the US invests heavily in rescue medicine whereas most other first-world countries invest in preventive care. Due to knowledge sharing they still get most of the benefits of our rescue medicine research.

Postmastergeneral
Jan 11, 2005
gently caress you i quit. ask me for a cig so i can tell you no and take a piece of your soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Postmastergeneral posted:

gently caress you i quit. ask me for a cig so i can tell you no and take a piece of your soul.

Bully for you. I'm serious. Your lungs thank you.

• Locked thread