Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I did say the increasingly bad plots too, you know. But you do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Glenn Quebec posted:

I did say the increasingly bad plots too, you know. But you do you.

"increasingly bad plots" is an extremely vague thing to say about a video game genre that's grown over the years to have massive tons of games of varying popularity that appeal to widely different audiences and it's not exactly what you emphasized in your post at all

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ok, I'm not gonna rip on the plot of jrpgs. This is a thread about one and a good one at that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

:siren: Preorders for special editions of the Vesperia remaster are live. :siren:

https://www.bandainamcoentstore.com/product/496044/tales-of-vesperia-definitive-edition-anniversary-bundle-ps4

See what you get with them here:

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/tales-of-vesperia-definitive-edition-limited-editions-announced-for-the-americas-and-europe

quote:

Anniversary Edition – Americas ($99.99)
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition

A copy of the game
Repede metal case
Memorial Art Book
Set of 3 acrylics character keychains (Yuri, Patty, and Flynn)
Exclusive diorama display case stage

Premium Edition – Europe and Southeast Asia (€69.99 on PS4 and Xbox One, €79.99 on Switch)
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition

A copy of the game
Premium Edition box
Repede metal case
Four-CD Soundtrack
Memorial Art Book
Collectible cards set
Pin badge set
Chibi Chara stickers set

drat, US gettin' screwed, I always want the soundtrack.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 17, 2018

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Also the US Switch version requires a download while the EU version does not.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Mill Village posted:

Also the US Switch version requires a download while the EU version does not.

US twitter says that was a mistake and it will not require a download

https://twitter.com/bandainamcous/status/1041743605407178752?s=21

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

My favorite thing about this is how murder happy Yuri is.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I uh, guess if you really care about the diorama in the special edition you can now spend the entire price of the game again for more standees for it.

https://www.bandainamcoentstore.com/product/523647/tales-of-vesperia-definitive-edition-brave-vesperia-acrylics

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Some details that I think people have been wondering:

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/06/tales-of-vesperia-definitive-edition-frame-rates-and-resolutions-revealed/

quote:

Nintendo Switch: If your Nintendo Switch is docked, it will display at 1080p, but undocked makes it drop to 720p. It hits 60 FPS in battles and 30 FPS in all other situations.
PlayStation 4: The PlayStation 4 version always runs at 60 FPS in 1080p.
Xbox One: The Xbox One version always has a 1080p resolution. However, it runs at 60 FPS in players are in battles and 30 FPS when they’re not.
PC: The PC version has a variable frame rate and canup to a 4K resolution.

I dunno if the steam page is new because it's been a while since anyone was talking about this, but it's here now and has system requirements

Also it sounds like all the costumes and stuff that were DLC before are just now in the game, and you can download a free dlc to unlock them immediately? It's not entirely clear from reading this:

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/05/tales-of-vesperia-definitive-edition-shows-off-its-free-character-customization-dlc/

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

It sounds like there are no enhancements for PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
having all the costumes and stuff be free is cool, makes spending $50 on a remaster of such an old game a bit more palatable

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I like that Mr. Driller costume. It’s very goofy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wendell posted:

I like that Mr. Driller costume. It’s very goofy.

having a mr. driller and a klonoa costume in the same tales game is extremely ftw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nine days

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

LIKE MY BOOBS COULD FILL OUT THAT TOP

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
So close. I still cannot believe that after all those years I finally get to hang out with Patty and Flynn.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Mulderman posted:

So close. I still cannot believe that after all those years I finally get to hang out with Patty and Flynn.

I know. I specifically went overboard cleaning/doing chores last weekend so I can have maximum playtime this weekend.

When do Patty and Flynn join your party? I know Flynn drops in and out, but what about Patty?

I remember the join order being: Yuri and Repede to start, then Estelle, Karol, Rita, Raven and Judy. Where does Patty fall?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Essential day one mod that adds a ‘stray cat yelp/garbage cans being knocked over” sfx every time Yuri flings his scabbard off screen

e: If anyone sees a good ‘definitive edition missable items & quests’ guide online can they please post it in the thread, tia.

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 9, 2019

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nanigans posted:

I know. I specifically went overboard cleaning/doing chores last weekend so I can have maximum playtime this weekend.

When do Patty and Flynn join your party? I know Flynn drops in and out, but what about Patty?

I remember the join order being: Yuri and Repede to start, then Estelle, Karol, Rita, Raven and Judy. Where does Patty fall?

Patty and Flynn both come and go in the PS3 version but Patty permanently joins around the desert area I forget the name of.

Edit: Sands of Kogorh it's called

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Essential day one mod that adds a ‘stray cat yelp/garbage cans being knocked over” sfx every time Yuri flings his scabbard off screen

e: If anyone sees a good ‘definitive edition missable items & quests’ guide online can they please post it in the thread, tia.

https://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10347292825.html

This might help.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Patty first joins in the forest of Keiv Moc, shortly after getting to Dahngrest
She permanently joins at the end of the Sands of Kogorh

Flynn joins for the act one and act two final dungeons/bosses (Ghasfarost and Zaude)
He permanently joins after Aurnion is founded, after his 1v1 fight

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Patty and Flynn both come and go in the PS3 version but Patty permanently joins around the desert area I forget the name of.

Edit: Sands of Kogorh it's called

https://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10347292825.html

This might help.

Cool that's the one I used to 100% the 360 version a couple of years ago

...:negative:

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
For those of you who have only played the 360 version, or are coming from an earlier game like Symphonia or Abyss, I have good news for you regarding combat.

I have always felt like those games capped out on complexity and difficulty about halfway through. You learn the mechanics, get the combos, and then the second half of the game is just ever-increasing numbers between you and victory. There's maybe one or two endgame challenges that really put the combat system through its paces, but other than that the combat actually gets boring as time goes on.

This is NOT the case with Vesperia DE.

EVERY character in the game has a full suite of late game skills that makes them fun, unique, challenging, and interesting to play. Each character will get the ability to trigger their own over-limit for free based on their fighting style, and each character get a whole bunch of unique skills and artes that make them wholly unique from each other. You can get access to crazy upgrades like being able to equip/map 16 artes at once, and store 8 levels of over-limit. When fully upgraded, this is probably the most overpowered Tales party ever released.

You'd probably think this means that the game becomes super easy once your whole party is overpowered badasses right?

WRONG

The end game challenges in this version are actually insane. There are two massive endgame dungeons and SEVERAL individual bosses who will stunlock/wipe your party without a single thought. There is a large, very tough, coliseum with both single and team battles which will kick your rear end. There's a memory dungeon where you have to re-fight every boss in the game with their stats and AI cranked up. There is a sidequest where you have to hunt down 11 unique monsters and most of them will utterly crush you when you first encounter them. The post-game dungeon that's new to this version has a final boss that may be the hardest boss in any tales game.

The only downside to all of this (any my only major complaint with Vesperia in general) is that many of these skills and artes aren't available until late game, so you don't get to practice using them over the course of the game. This is probably fair however, since several characters have infinite combos against enemies who can't go over-limit themselves. Seriously though, stick with it, if you love Tales Of combat, then this game is nearly perfect in my eyes.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I’m picking up my preordered copy and buying the Switch to actually play it on this Friday. I’m so excited; I bought a 360 back in 2008 solely to play the original, and I must have gone through it like, six times.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I’m picking up my preordered copy and buying the Switch to actually play it on this Friday. I’m so excited; I bought a 360 back in 2008 solely to play the original, and I must have gone through it like, six times.

It's still one of the few games I actually bothered getting all the achievements for. I'll probably do the same with the PS4 version.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Man I just can't decide between the PS4 and Switch versions. I'm seriously paralyzed here.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i doubt there's going to be a massive difference in performance or anything for a port of a ten year old game

also i hope everyone is ready to use jp voices because apparently the random swapping on yuri's english va is even more jarring than the trailers have made it seem

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i doubt there's going to be a massive difference in performance or anything for a port of a ten year old game

depends on how much you care about 60 fps for out of battle stuff vs the portability

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i was wondering if any of the console versions even ran out of battle at 60fps anyway and lmao why is it specifically the xbox one version that doesn't

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man I gotta go study that old side quest guide like I’m studying for finals just to make sure I don’t miss out on Judith’s dumbass best weapon

Also any differences between console versions? Aiming for switch because of portability

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Also any differences between console versions? Aiming for switch because of portability

Look up on this page, but also they all do at least 60 fps in battles and 30 out, but the PS4 hits 60 all the time and the Switch version goes to 720p when undocked.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Sweet, ta.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Badass. I’ve played to about the end of Act 1 on the 360 version and remember liking it a lot. I’ve been jonesin’ for some classic TP combat and I can’t believe this game is about to be a reality.

Good things come to those who wait. :unsmith:

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Switch version’s playable now here in Aus. You can change between subs/dub every time you restart the game: don’t worry about the “you can only set your language ONCE” warning it first gives you.

Also you don’t start with the new costume titles so i assume their intergrated into a quest or something.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Did you check the DLC section of your inventory?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The way I understood it, if you want to have that all off the bat there's a free DLC you need to download that unlocks it all right away, otherwise there's a point in the game where they become available.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Mill Village posted:

Did you check the DLC section of your inventory?

Holy moley thank you, i probably wouldn’t of discovered them for hours

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0rdH3pehS4

apparently mercer was asked to replace baker as yuri, but turned it down because he didnt want to be the 'troy baker replacement guy' forever (skip to about 1:06:00 if you wanna get to it)

i get his logic but still, rip

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

also sounds like he didn't have time either.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’ll never understand how Mercer can maintain Critical Role every week, along with all the spinoff content, and still put in a top-notch performance in like every video game in existence, but i love the man for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
It just hit me that I am going to be able to play the complete version of Vesperia at the laundromat should I so desire. What a time to be alive.