Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Never saw the Jungle Book remake, but it got good reviews across the board. Sounds like the new Lion King will be using the same technology + some new tricks. The cast list is amazing.

Donald Glover as Simba! Seth Rogan and BILLY EICHNER playing Pumbaa and Timon!? Also love Eric Andre and John Oliver. Pretty much the whole cast is a home run.

This is a movie that I'd almost never be interested in seeing in theaters.....but I'll definitely being seeing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is James Earl Jones going to live long enough to finish this?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Is this going to be based off the Taymor stage production?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah but who's Ed?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

man someone told me the CGI was making the lions look all weird but they didn't say anything about what happened to poor Zazu

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Can’t wait to see if they include Morning Report, the song so bad it’s been cut at least three different times now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Boxman posted:

Can’t wait to see if they include Morning Report, the song so bad it’s been cut at least three different times now.

It's going to be replaced by 90 seconds of Zazou/John Oliver scoliding a picture of a sloth

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I still can't believe they cut Be Prepared from this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Timby posted:

I still can't believe they cut Be Prepared from this.

Villain songs tends to get a raw deal:

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I love the cast.

The Lion King holds a special place in my heart. I grew up watching it, and can today recite many of the songs from heart.

But I have no desire to see this whatsoever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think this could be the biggest movie of 2019, which is saying something given the competition.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
huh weird, i coulda sworn they already made this movie and it was a smashing success, well beloved, and already holds a prominent position within disney's catalogue of films?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

RaySmuckles posted:

huh weird, i coulda sworn they already made this movie and it was a smashing success, well beloved, and already holds a prominent position within disney's catalogue of films?

Exactly, this is going to run into the same problem as Beauty and the Beast - even if everyone involved pours their heart and soul into making the absolute best movie they can, it's going to look like a redundant cash grab compared to the source material. Of course, that won't necessarily stop it from making a healthy profit because name recognition.

I might possibly see it if they somehow manage to bring something new to the table and (unlike the new things live-action Beauty and the Beast tried to bring to the table) actually have it work out well. John Oliver as Zazu is rather intriguing.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Immanentized posted:

Yeah but who's Ed?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Immanentized posted:

Yeah but who's Ed?

One of the hyenas, if I remember correctly.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Donglover, Beyoncé, and John Oliver have basically sold me on this I’m sad to say

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
James Earl Jones as Mufasa seems like cheating somehow. Like actors shouldn't be able to play their own roles in remakes. Actually does this count as one of these "Live-Action Remakes" If there aren't any live actors in it? Jungle Book could squeak by cause Mowgli was real, but I don't think they'll be finding a real Lion to play Simba.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah James Earl Jones almost breaks this because it calls too much attention to the absurdity of the whole project. Like... why have him rerecord his lines, just reuse all his dialogue from the first movie. And if you're going to do that, why even record new dialogue in the first place, you can literally get away with just using the voices from the original film, because everything is going to be animated to the point where it's arguable you couldn't consider it a live-action movie at all, which when you think about it undermines the whole concept of these remakes in the first place, and while we're at it, why the hell are we doing this, anyway?

Oh well. These remakes have always come off more like weird experiments rather than "real" movies to me anyway so it doesn't actually bother me much. But it really is just loving weird!

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'll admit, though, seeing Alfre Woodard cast as Serabi warms my heart.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Who wants to bet they're going to include the deleted 'Scar wants an heir' scene? They put it in the stage show.

https://youtu.be/zl8gDjaHWWA

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Allegedly they cut Be Prepared so this remake is dead to me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Zero One posted:

Allegedly they cut Be Prepared so this remake is dead to me.

the gently caress

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Well if they ARE adding the "Scar wants to gently caress Nala" scene in, maybe the reason they're cutting the "Be Prepared" scene is because the former already reprises/ basically is an alternate verse of "Be Prepared" so they figure it'd be redundant?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's an even bigger WTF. Scar wants to gently caress his nephew's girlfriend?

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

Lions: Well known for their anti-incestual behaviors.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Cosmic brain WTF: Scar wants to gently caress his niece. Mufasa was the only male lion in the pride.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Royalty is inbred

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You know, that has me thinking: Nala was arranged to be married to Simba from a young age, possibly since birth. What's the protocol for Simba's apparent death? Scar very well may have a legit claim to her in this royal system they got going on.

Simba: "What about you? You left."

Nala: "I left cause your pervert uncle was trying to get all up in this!"

Speaking of Nala, I imagine they're going to come up with a song for her to take advantage of Beyonce being in the cast, either that or they'll give her "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" but, er, I can easily see Beyonce butchering that so I hope not.

Also speaking of Nala, this one will forego her eyebrow-raising transition from a young black girl to an adult white woman in the original. Not that there was anything wrong with that, but someone could probably write a master's thesis entirely on how strikingly noticeable the change is and what that says about society etc, etc.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Lion King is an incredibly overrated film, and remaking it just further illustrates how Hollywood is running out of ideas.

I did like Scar’s Be Prepared song, though.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Slutitution posted:

The Lion King is an incredibly overrated film, and remaking it just further illustrates how Hollywood is running out of ideas.

1000% all of this. I loving despise every scene of the original that doesn't have Scar in it.

edit: aight the hyenas are okay, nmind

another edit: k i'm getting a bit worked up about a talking animals movie for children

olives black fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 6, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's less that Hollywood is running out of ideas and more that Hollywood is lazy as gently caress and wants a sure thing to boost income and inflate their egos so they can do cocaine off of hookers buttholes with a straw. Much easier to do remakes and established properties and poo poo than take a risk.

We have Netflix and Amazon Prime for this stuff now. Like Altered Carbon.

I'd rather the actors just dress up as lions and perform. I assume it's going to be CG lions or some poo poo. Has Nicholas Cage been cast as a Hyena Ed or Scar?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slutitution posted:

Be Prepared is potentially the best Disney animated musical song. It's also impressive how seamless the transition from Irons to Cummings is.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Timby posted:

Be Prepared is potentially the best Disney animated musical song. It's also impressive how seamless the transition from Irons to Cummings is.

Be Prepared is so loving good. Maybe they just didn't want to deal with the whole bag of Nazi image appropriation and what that means in 2018 because the world loving sucks

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm yes, Nazism meant so much less in the nineties

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hmm yes, Nazism meant so much less in the nineties

In the nineties Nazis wasn't publicly backed up by the president.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

In the nineties Nazis wasn't publicly backed up by the president.

The POTUS in fact publically denounces Nazis.

The thing about Be Prepared is that the Nazi imagery is the easiest thing to excise from it, so it's unlikely to be the reason it was left on the cutting floor.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

lmao

Many sides, many sides.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You know they're going to have Scar say he'll "Make Pride Rock Great Again". You know it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Not the current one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

...and then goes right back to pushing for policies that appeal almost exclusively to them.

• Locked thread