Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hm, I can't find a Canada megathread like there's one for Europe. Oh well.

Alright, so I live in Europe and I have decided I want to visit Canada, probably I'll have time sometime next year.

I've been to the US twice, and one of those trips involved a short hop over to Canada, I visited Niagara and I spent just a couple hours in Toronto.

This time, I'd like to go for 2 - 3 weeks. I hope to bring a friend along, if not, I'll be travelling on my own.

I would like to do at least the following things:
- Day hikes through nature. I *really* like to sleep in a comfortable hotel or B&B every night which is why I want to return to civilization by the end of every day. So I'm looking for a number of hiking routes that can be done in a day or less. And, assuming I rent a car, it needs to circle around to the starting location, of course.
- Horse riding through nature. I'm a beginning horse rider, I've never been off the grounds of the stable where I'm learning, so this certainly would need to be guided. That doesn't mean I can only go slowly. Wouldn't mind trying a gallop, the main thing is that I like to be in a group with a much more experienced rider for this.
- Visit one or two cities. I'd like to check out historical buildings, perhaps visit a museum if there's something to my taste, and check out the local bar scene.

Right now I'm looking for general ideas on how to set this up.

- What part of Canada should I be looking at for an itinerary like this?
- After getting there by plane, what's the easiest way to travel? Especially because I'm planning to go into nature, I think it's gonna be a rental car.
- Any specific must-sees, for instance beautiful hiking routes?
- Any good places that offer horse riding? And, do those have specific regulation I should know about? For instance, over here many places require you to take lessons first if you can't show proof from the national riding association that you're an experienced enough rider.
- What's the best time of the year to go? I'd like some nice hiking weather but it would also be nice if the places I visit aren't entirely crowded by tourists.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LucasMedaffy
Oct 18, 2000
Western Canada is definitely the best place for nature and outdoors. Banff is a small town in the Rocky mountains, just 1.5hrs west of Calgary (city of 1 million). Very western, cowboys/horse riding etc. Alternatively base out of Vancouver (right on the west coast) and go up to Whistler or the islands or into the Fraser valley for all the horsey stuff.

It's a lot easier to get to the east coast of Canada but I don't think it's quite as spectacular compared to the west, especially for europeans (Newfoundland/Nova Scotia/PEI are beautiful but look a lot like any european coastal area).

There are lots of flights to Vancouver direct from Europe. Probably a few to Calgary but many would probably stop over in Toronto before going on to Calgary.

I grew up in Calgary but spent more time in Vancouver; I think Vancouver is better but Calgary has the exotic cowboys and the Rocky mountains are more spectacular than the Coastal mountains. There would be infinite hikes you could do (day loops) in either place and horse loving riding.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
You might try asking here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820441&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

• Locked thread