Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

Reminds me of the Fallout Behind The Scenes video where Ron Perlman could not be more clearly bullshitting it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shKw0l41eDY&t=29s

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

RON PERLMAN: I loved the spatulas so much... I bought the company.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
thought experiment: is mario a silent protagonist??

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
*Shakes 8 ball*

"So long, gay Bowser"

Ask again later

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

Do you mean silent antagonist. Bc that can be cool too, even if it's pretty rare

The Penetrator(lol) was such a good silent antagonist. his intro was so good

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Wormskull posted:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

swimsuit posted:

yeah

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

swimsuit posted:

Mama mia!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only Dark Souls boss I can think of who really talks is Oceiros. Unless you count bosses like Gwyndolin or Priscilla who are also NPCs

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The only Dark Souls boss I can think of who really talks is Oceiros. Unless you count bosses like Gwyndolin or Priscilla who are also NPCs

Lots of Dark Souls 3 bosses and NPCs have quips when they kill you, which is cool and I think mostly started in Bloodborne? Prince Lothric saying "You can stay here too, if you like...." is burned into my brain and imagining it throws me into a rage

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

Lots of Dark Souls 3 bosses and NPCs have quips when they kill you, which is cool and I think mostly started in Bloodborne? Prince Lothric saying "You can stay here too, if you like...." is burned into my brain and imagining it throws me into a rage

Oh yeah I forgot about Lothric. And if you count Bloodborne yeah there's Gascoigne and Micolash and Gehrman and probably others.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Silent protags are cool because when they're not specifically a player stand-in, it's up to the player to infer what their character is. This leads to the cool, slow realization that you're probably a bad person in Shadow of the Colossus.

I get the same vibes from Hollow Knight, but I haven't finished it so idk but I kind of feel like killing everything in my path is going to fit in thematically with the rest of the game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I heard the Gascoigne one so many drat times

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I turn off voice acting in games with text boxes.

I had to turn it off when i was streaming pillars of eternity bc it’s reallt confusing trying to read dialogue out loud when some conversations are like half voiced and half not

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It was hosed up to me that in the second Golden Sun game the protagonist from the original could suddenly speak. It would have been funnier if he was still silent

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I like how Mother 3 made it so that the current viewpoint character was always silent, but could talk just fine in other people's chapters.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Phantasium posted:

I like how Mother 3 made it so that the current viewpoint character was always silent, but could talk just fine in other people's chapters.

DQ 4 did that too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

BotW is kind of funny because there's a ton of personality and flowery language in the dialogue options you get (and I don't really remember older Zelda games having too much of that outside of Yes/No answers for stuff) but Link is still silent everywhere else

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I read a blog post that says the quest journal entries, which have a decent amount of opinion/editorializing, are written from link's pov in the original instead of the omniscient narrator the english version got, but then some posters said that was full of poo poo because how pronouns work or something.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i think mario counts as silent cuz he doesn't say anything in super mario rpg and thats an RPG.

imagine mario with dialogue

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I really liked Adam Jensen

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also i like when characters dont speak but conversations imply they are speaking.
as much as i love half life, half life 2 ruins the silent protag imho

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

ArfJason posted:

also i like when characters dont speak but conversations imply they are speaking.

the "Dark Souls" of game dialogue styles

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

i think mario counts as silent cuz he doesn't say anything in super mario rpg and thats an RPG.

imagine mario with dialogue

Mario impersonating Bowser and freaking out everybody around him is extremely good

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

There's a moment in Dragon Quest 3 where you leave your party and you can talk to the person right behind you and I think they'll say different things based on their personality? I know there's differences based on gender. Anyway it's cool that they knew players would try that in that moment and programmed it in

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i actually dont really like silent protagonists that much, i changed my imnd

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArfJason posted:

I really liked Adam Jensen
DXHR is good.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I should think that you still dream? Well.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

I should think that you still dream? Well.

:ssj:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

DQ 4 did that too.

As well as, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

goferchan posted:

BotW is kind of funny because there's a ton of personality and flowery language in the dialogue options you get (and I don't really remember older Zelda games having too much of that outside of Yes/No answers for stuff) but Link is still silent everywhere else

They kind of emphasise his silence in the proper cutscenes by saying poo poo like “your silence says everything” and outside of that Link is an absolute asshat to everyone he meets.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i like that virtually all of your options when talking to the king at the beginning are just "Can I have the hang glider now, though?"

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

goferchan posted:

i like that style too, persona uses it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
yu narukami from persona 4 is one of the very best protagonists IMO. charismatic and strong without ever actually saying anything much. and its not like they just shied away from giving him anything that could weaken his image, he has a voice actor that speaks when he summons personas and stuff, has funny and goofy dialogue options etc. just sublime

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

yu narukami from persona 4 is one of the very best protagonists IMO. charismatic and strong without ever actually saying anything much. and its not like they just shied away from giving him anything that could weaken his image, he has a voice actor that speaks when he summons personas and stuff, has funny and goofy dialogue options etc. just sublime

It was very jarring when I played DAN and he has fully voice acted dialogue

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's true in basically every persona spin off but in my mind that guy is Yu Narukami , not Protagonist.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I think i like more how hes presented as a dude with a very deadpan and weird sense of humkr in the show, as if you were choosing all the wacky answers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
for the longest time i remembered cloud as a silent protagonist for some reason and really wish it stayed that way

• Locked thread