Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

Such a bad grind. Yeugh.

Oh, and to answer your question, I didn't finish the Hollow Bastion Data section to get the last Keyblade. Nor did I get all the Dream Eaters.

Well, that's Challenge Mode for you. The only defenses I have for them are "They let us tackle missions in a new way" and "At least they're optional". Unlike Mission Mode, there's no :effortless: involved here.

I don't even bother finishing any data sections in Re:Coded. I just blitzed it through and finished it on Beginner Mode because I'm sick of it. On the other hand, I got all dream eaters and synthesize them with maximum rank because...um...I don't know, really. I guess because of masochism? :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I might have cheated to get the Ultima Weapon in Re:Coded. I can't remember.

The worst part of Re:Coded was undoubtedly doing the 100 floor dungeon, though.

Also, the authors of the Secret Reports were mentioned in the Ultimania, apparently.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 30, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I might have cheated to get the Ultima Weapon in Re:Coded. I can't remember.

The worst part of Re:Coded was undoubtedly doing the 100 floor dungeon, though.

Also, the authors of the Secret Reports were mentioned in the Ultimania, apparently.

I don't think I ever bothered going to the 100 floors dungeon.

The authors for most of the reports are obvious, but it's still nice to get confirmation for the less obvious ones. On another note, it would be nice if there's actually a fight with Larxene where we win if we manage to hit her with fire.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Your mission today is to look after Roxas.

Thanks, I hate it.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I was pleasantly surprised at Day's 27, 28 and the others where things happen and Roxas doesn't have a journal for that day. I mean, this gives the events of CoM a fairly definitive time frame - which just raises even further questions - but it also shows that things transpire without everyone being aware of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd ask what Sora ate while in Castle Oblivion, but then again he was comatose for a year and then immediately got up and started killing Heartless and Nobodies like it was nothing.

So maybe I shouldn't think about silly things like health and nutrition.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd ask what Sora ate while in Castle Oblivion, but then again he was comatose for a year and then immediately got up and started killing Heartless and Nobodies like it was nothing.

So maybe I shouldn't think about silly things like health and nutrition.

No sillier than wondering how he not only manages to live and not have some kind of atrophy, but to outgrow his old clothes while he's at it.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I like to think that Roxas and Xion are eating enough ice creams to sustain not just Sora but even Donald and Goofy.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I hope the Chamber of Repose (or was it Waking?) that showed up in Final Mix + is relevant in Kingdom Hearts III! :argh:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I'm sure every loose ends from the previous games will be neatly resolhahahahaha I can't even finish that sentence.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:negative:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Here's the next challenge update featuring Ruler of the Sky. It's as bad as you'd expect.

I put off doing that challenge by trying out FFV FJF, which ends up taking more time than I expected. Just got to World 3, in fact.

Oh, right, this game. Tl;dr: Ruler of the Sky is loving horrible, we got a LV Doubler we can't use, and we also get our (not quite) final weapon. That last bit means I can finally start showing them off :toot:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 7, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Let's talk about weapon panels, shall we?

Most of them are bought in the shop, but some of them are in treasure chests or as rewards from other modes.

There's also plenty that we have to synthesize. All of them are made by combining Gear Components (A, B, C, D), Techs (Combo, Shield, Rune, Power, Aerial, Range, Luck), and metals (Iron*, Bronze, Dark Ingot, Silver, Gold, Mithril, Orichalcum). Some of them may require multiple types of Tech. Premium Orb is apparently counted as a Tech.

*No gear actually requires Iron.

As an aside, synthesizing a magic panels requires a recipe, a panel from the previous tier, and the corresponding shard/gem/crystal.

Synthesizing items are so simple it's not worth talking about while synthesizing accessories are so useless it's not worth talking about.

The gears takes up a maximum of 6 slots. There's 5 obtainable Power/Magic/Guard/Sight units, enough to fill out all of them.

So what does weapon panels affects? Well, not much, just:
  • Stats (all of them). These can be boosted with Power/Magic/Guard/Sight Units, each boosting a different amount according to the gear.
  • Weapon appearance
  • Slots taken
  • Abilities (if using Ability Units)
  • Combo (both ground and aerial)

All of them takes a while to list, and I can't really bother to do that. But I want to point out something in this update. Remember the stats boosted and abilities granted from this Phantom Gear++.

If we equip it on, say, Vexen, it grants a completely different set of abilities and it even has a different description for the same gear.

And, as you might expect, it raises stats differently. Based on my (admittedly very little) experimentation, the combos are the same, though.

Still, that puts a lot of :effortless: in Mission Mode. One that's sadly absent from Challenge Mode.

For the gear list, we have:
  • Skill Gear (+)
  • Technical Gear (+)
  • Duel Gear (+) (++)

• Loaded Gear (+)
  • Chrono Gear (+)
  • Phantom Gear (+) (++)

• Lift Gear (+)
  • Nimble Gear (+)

• Wild Gear (+)
  • Ominous Gear (+)

• Valor Gear (+)
  • Fearless Gear (+)
  • Prestige Gear (+)

• Crisis Gear (+)
  • Omega Gear (+) (+)

• Hazard Gear (+)

• Rage Gear (+)

• Champion Gear (+)
  • Ultimate Gear (+)

• Pandora's Gear (+)

• Zero Gear

• Casual Gear
  • Mystery Gear

That's a lot. Not to mention that sometimes the + version gives different abilities or even worse stats (I haven't checked it myself). They do have the same weapon name and appearance, though.

Fun fact: Pandora Gear can only be obtained once we get all secret reports i.e. getting at least 1 sigil for each challenge. Yeah, I'm not getting that now.

Combine the obscene number of gears with the number of playable characters and you get yourself a surprising amount of :effortless:

To be fair, the unlockable characters has a lot less weapons available than the default ones, but still. I'm not going to bother showing anything other than their appearance because :effort:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

ZeButler posted:

you seem to have posted the same update twice in a row.

Fixed. I don't know why it happened.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 7, 2019

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

you seem to have posted the same update twice in a row.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Organization members have a lot of neat weapons.

At least show off the joke weapons. Saix has the best one. It even changes appearance when he goes berserk.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Don't worry. I know exactly which one you're talking about :unsmigghh:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Today we're going to look at the weapons. The first character we're going to look at is of course going to be Roxas.

None: Kingdom Key

This one's just a normal Kingdom Key that exists just to be replaced, either with other Keyblades or with its stronger version.

Skill Gear: Missing Ache
Technical Gear: Ominous Blight
Duel Gear: Abaddon Plasma
(Transforms your weapon and allows you to string together faster, longer ground combos.)

Ominous Blight and Abaddon Plasma looks nice. Missing Ache's color is ugly, though.

Loaded Gear: Pain of Solitude
Chrono Gear: Sign of Innocence
Phantom Gear: Crown of Guilt
(Transforms your weapon and boosts your Magic to give it more power.)

The names and colors of these weapons are very edgy. Their magic boost is undeniably nice, though.

Lift Gear: Abyssal Tide
Nimble Gear: Leviathan
(Transforms your weapon into one that performs very well in midair.)

I'm not sure how the water-themed naming have to do with it having better aerial combo.

Wild Gear: True Light's Flight
Ominous Gear: Rejection of Fate
(Transforms your weapon, enabling your attacks to reach a wide area and deal heavy damage.)

This set is even edgier than the second set.

Valor Gear: Midnight Roar
Fearless Gear: Glimpse of Darkness
Prestige Gear: Total Eclipse
(Transforms your weapon into one with higher Strength.)

There's so much gears here that we've never used. Not to mention the ones from the other characters.

Crisis Gear: Silent Dirge
Omega Gear: Lunar Eclipse
(Transforms your weapon and provides versatility by boosting both Strength and Magic.)

Omega Gear has a very awkward shape. Good thing I'm not using it it or its + version anymore :v:

Hazard Gear: Darker Than Dark
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Magic and combo reach.)

Is "darker than dark" a better or worse phrase than "darkness within darkness"?

Rage Gear: Astral Blast
(Transforms your weapon and allows you to string together longer ground and aerial combos.)

We briefly used this one during a few challenges. There's not much to say botu this one.

Champion Gear: Maverick Flare
Ultimate Gear: Twilight Blaze
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Strength and ground combo speed.)

Ultimate Gear isn't actually the ultimate weapon. It doesn't boost Magic at all. Zero Gear is better in pretty much every way.

Pandora's Gear: Omega Weapon
(Transforms your weapon into one more formidable, with exceptional capabilities.)

Omega Weapon? That's kinda breaking from the naming theme, don't you think?

Also, Pandora's Gear's description is the same for all members, so I won't bother showing it for the rest.

Zero Gear (0 Ability Units): Kingdom Key+
Zero Gear (1 Ability Unit): Oathkeeper
Zero Gear (2 Ability Units): Two Become One
Zero Gear (3 Ability Units): Oathkeeper & Oblivion
(A Keyblade radiant with light & A Keyblade black as darkness.)

Like I said, Zero Gear has multiple weapons depending on the amount of Ability Units installed. That only applies for Roxas, though. And the dual-wielding is only available in Mission Mode.

That description is only for Oathkeeper and Oblivion, since the description for the other weapons aren't noteworthy and the description for Zero Gear is the same for everyone. For the record, it's "Transform your weapon into a more powerful one that draws forth its wielder's true worth."

We used Oathkeeper during the fight with Riku, but there's no way for Roxas to use just Oblivion :(

Casual Gear: Umbrella
Mystery Gear: Aubade

The description for Casual Gear is "Transforms your weapon into something awfully familiar..." and the description for Mystery Gear is "Transforms your weapon into one that draws forth its wielder's personality." This applies to every member, so I won't show the rest either.

Casual Gear gives us joke weapons for most characters. Mystery Gear gives joke weapons only for a few characters. Aubade is apparently a poem/piece of music appropriate to the dawn or dusk, at least according to Google. It fits the description, at least.

Now that we're done with Roxas' Keyblades, we'll take a look at his Limits. We've seen Roxas' normal Limit plenty of times. Just press A to make him attack.

We've also seen Roxas' dual-wielding Limit. There's actually a shield around Roxas that harms enemies who touch it during his Final Limit.

We can't move during the Limit, but we can put it on hold by pressing B and continue by pressing A. The Limit gauge still goes on, though, so it's not that useful. In fact, Roxas' normal Limit is better in pretty much every way.

Also, remember the victory pose after every round in the Games?

As it turns out, everyone has a special pose for it. Dual-wielding Roxas' looks like one of his attacks in KH2.

I never showed it before, but there's also this screen every time we withdraw in Mission Mode.

This also changed with every character, but apparently normal and dual-wielding Roxas has the same pose.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 15, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hooray, effort!

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Omega Weapon DOES seem to break the naming convention for Roxas's Keyblades, but only because it's following a naming convention in that Sora and Roxas are meant to be same-but-different, so Omega Weapon is chosen as a counterpart to Ultima Weapon for Sora.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

1234567890num posted:

Lift Gear: Abyssal Tide
Nimble Gear: Leviathan

I'm not sure how the water-themed naming have to do with it having better aerial combo.

Well I mean, Neverland has a whole lot of water and is home to Ruler of the Sky.

Also a fun thing to note is that all of Omega Weapon's abilities give you boosts at full HP, referencing Ultima Weapon dealing more damage at full HP in Final Fantasy.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Prythian posted:

Omega Weapon DOES seem to break the naming convention for Roxas's Keyblades, but only because it's following a naming convention in that Sora and Roxas are meant to be same-but-different, so Omega Weapon is chosen as a counterpart to Ultima Weapon for Sora.

So Omega Weapon is different from the rest because it follows a completely different naming convention? :confused:

BisbyWorl posted:

Well I mean, Neverland has a whole lot of water and is home to Ruler of the Sky.

Also a fun thing to note is that all of Omega Weapon's abilities give you boosts at full HP, referencing Ultima Weapon dealing more damage at full HP in Final Fantasy.

I guess that makes sense. And Omega Weapon's abilities are a nice touch.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I'm not doing this in any particular order, so today it's Xigbar's turn to show off.

None: Stand-Alone

These gearless weapons are very unremarkable.

Skill Gear: Killer Bee
Technical Gear: Stingray
Duel Gear: Counterweight
(Transforms your weapon and allows you to string together faster, longer ground combos.)

The designs are kinda hard to see because of the DS' low resolution.

Loaded Gear: Precision
Chrono Gear: Dual Head
Phantom Gear: Bahamut
(Transforms your weapon, enabling your attacks to reach a wide area.)

A Final Fantasy reference that's not a Moogle? In Kingdom Heart Days? :aaa: (Yes, I know there's Omega Weapon last update.)

Lift Gear: Gullwing
Nimble Gear: Blue Frame

The group in X-2 is "Gullwings", so close enough, I guess.

Wild Gear: Star Shell
Ominous Gear: Sunrise
(Transforms your weapon and boosts your Magic to give it a lot more power.)

Fun fact: The gear we equip determines the number of bullet we have. Not that it matters since you shouldn't be using Xigbar if you're playing solo.

Valor Gear: Ignition
Fearless Gear: Armstrong
Prestige Gear: Hard-Boiled Heat
(Transforms your weapon into one with higher Strength.)

The color scheme reminds me of Shadow the Hedgehog. It's appropriate that the thing itself is a gun.

Crisis Gear: Diablo Eye
Omega Gear: Double Tap
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Strength and ground combo speed.)

Aren't these just recolor of Technical Gear/Duel Gear?

Hazard Gear: Stardust
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Magic and longer aerial combos.)

The front part of the arrowguns seems to be getting more elaborate.

And yes, Xigbar's weapons are arrowguns. Just look at the intro.

Rage Gear: Energy Muzzle
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Strength and combo reach.)

I think it wouldn't be out of place if the front parts' designs are used as Vexen's shields.

Champion Gear: Crime & Punishment
Ultimate Gear: Cupid's Arrow
(Transforms your weapon and lets you perform longer aerial combos with wider reach.)

Cupid's Arrow? I don't see it. It's not even the right color.

Pandora's Gear: Final Weapon

Note: We still have 3 more weapons to go, so it's not actually final. It will be the one we collect the last, though, because gently caress getting Pandora's Gear. Pandora's Gear+ is fine, though.

Zero Gear: Sharpshooter

The rest of the member's Zero Gear weapon has the normal description which I've already shown before.

This one's design is kinda subdued compared to the last few.

Casual Gear: Dryer
Mystery Gear: Trumpet

I guess this is a stab at how Xigbar is loud? He's still great, though :allears:

By the way, both of these weapons have their own sound effect. They're amazing.

We've seen Xigbar's Limit. Like dual-wielding Roxas' Limit, we can't move during it, but we can hold and then continue the same way. The bars also move the same way.

At least we can actually aim this time instead of hoping it'll actually hit the enemy. However, we can only aim left or right, so we can't hit airborne enemies.

Like in KH2, Xigbar holds his arrowguns to make it act just like a sniper rifle. Sadly, we can't move the camera during the Limit, so this is the best shot I can get of him trying to use the joke weapons the same way.

Xigbar's victory pose can easily be mistaken as his "going to battle" pose.

And his withdraw pose is not that different to Roxas.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 16, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The wiki has a bunch of concept art images of the weapons.

I can't imagine you want to dig through all of them, though. :v:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Precision seems like an odd name for a weapon that's explicitly designed to hit a wide area.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

1234567890num posted:

So Omega Weapon is different from the rest because it follows a completely different naming convention? :confused:

Okay, yeah, that sounded stupid. I mainly wanted to point out that it's not out of nowhere, even if it is a different naming scheme.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The wiki has a bunch of concept art images of the weapons.

I can't imagine you want to dig through all of them, though. :v:

Yep. I'm definitely not going to dig through 300+ pages of them.

AweStriker posted:

Precision seems like an odd name for a weapon that's explicitly designed to hit a wide area.

Huh. I didn't notice that before. And it seems the developers didn't either.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What can't be done without a heart?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The intention here is probably to say that you need a heart to wield a Keyblade, hence why Xemnas doesn't use a Keyblade and why Roxas is special. Roxas was supposed to be the only one with a heart, after all.

At least that was the intention at the time. The revelation basically botched this entire plot point.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Here's the second to last challenge update.

Tl;dr: It has Dustflier :shepicide:. And I guess we got a LV Tripler that we actually CAN use.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 18, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Next on the list is Marluxia. All of his weapons' names follow an obvious pattern. See if you can spot what it is.

None: Fickle Erica

Here's a hint: Erica is another name for heath.

Skill Gear: Jilted Anemone.
Technical Gear: Proud Amaryllis
Duel Gear: Mad Safflower
(Transforms your weapon and boosts your Magic to give it more power.)

Safflower, even though it sounds like a combination of saffron and flower, actually has nothing to do with each other. The more you know :eng101:

Loaded Gear: Poor Melissa
Chrono Gear: Tragic Allium
Phantom Gear: Mournful Cineraria

Look, an unintentional Hotel Dusk reference! :smith:

Also, the Loaded Gear is pretty much just a recolor of the default/Zero Gear.

Lift Gear: Pseudo Silene
Nimble Gear: Faithless Digitalis
(Transforms your weapon into one with much higher Strength.)

Digitalis is actually a flower. It's also known as Foxglove. I have no idea how or why it's called Digitalis, but I'm pretty sure it has no relation to digital.

Wild Gear: Grim Muscari
Ominous Gear: Docile Vallota

Looks like all weapons that performs well in midair is blue. Sure, why not.

Valor Gear: Quiet Belladonna
Fearless Gear: Parting Ipheion
Prestige Gear: Lofty Gerbera
(Transforms your weapon, enabling your attacks to reach a wide area.)

Valor Gear is just a recolor of Skill Gear.

Crisis Gear: Gallant Achillea
Omega Gear: Noble Peony
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Magic and ground combo speed.)

These two are just recolors of Technical and Duel Gear. I suppose the developers still put some :effort: among all the :effortless:

Hazard Gear: Fearsome Anise
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Strength and combo reach.)

This is a recolor of Nimble Gear.

Rage Gear: Vindictive Thistle
(Transforms our weapon and allows you to string together longer ground and aerial combos.)

This is a recolor of Phantom Gear. It kinda looks like Xigbar's arrowguns viewed from the side.

Champion Gear: Fair Helianthus
Ultimate Gear: Solemn Magnolia
(Transforms your weapon and lets you perform longer ground combos with wider reach.)

These are recolors of Fearless Gear and Prestige Gear. The :effort: just keeps piling up.

Pandora's Gear: Hallowed Lotus

At least the rest is different. This one looks like Vexen's shield.

Zero Gear: Graceful Dahlia

For some reason Marluxia chooses to use the least extravagant weapon as his main.

Casual Gear: Stirring Ladle
Mystery Gear: Dainty Bellflowers

No, ladle isn't secretly some kind of flower.

And according to Google, dainty means:
1. delicately small and pretty
2. fastidious or difficult to please, typically concerning food

I don't think we know anything about Marluxia's appetite, and is he fastidious? He's definitely not small nor delicate, though.

For Marluxia's limit, we need to press A to start the ring and then press A again when it's pink to actually attack. The attack is stronger if we start the ring while in Final Limit.

If we press A while the ring's black the attack will be weak. Probably. I couldn't trigger it even if I button mash, so who knows :shrug:

This is Marluxia's victory pose. You can be forgiven for thinking this is his battle pose.

And here's his withdraw pose. Here's my question: What happened to his face? :stare:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Digitalis" presumably comes from digit (finger/toe), which is also the origin of the mathematical digit and its derivative terms. :eng101:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't help but feel like Marluxia, Luxord, and Xigbar display the least interesting usages of their elements.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

1234567890num posted:

The intention here is probably to say that you need a heart to wield a Keyblade, hence why Xemnas doesn't use a Keyblade and why Roxas is special. Roxas was supposed to be the only one with a heart, after all.

At least that was the intention at the time. The revelation basically botched this entire plot point.

Roxas wields the Keyblade because he is the Nobody of Sora, a Keyblade wielder. Not because he managed to grow a heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

Roxas wields the Keyblade because he is the Nobody of Sora, a Keyblade wielder. Not because he managed to grow a heart.

No, he has a Heart. Ventus' heart to be precise.