Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I like the manga version of this more, where Lexaeus quietly and politely trains Roxas' mind by having him do puzzles. Lord knows that kid needs an intelligence boost. People call Sora dumb, but I'd argue Roxas is much dumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TheLoneStar posted:

I like the manga version of this more, where Lexaeus quietly and politely trains Roxas' mind by having him do puzzles. Lord knows that kid needs an intelligence boost. People call Sora dumb, but I'd argue Roxas is much dumber.

Give him a break he's been alive for like a week or two.

But the Days manga is so good, and like... full of character

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
And it includes some things that if they were in the game would have been amazing. Like Riku talking with Roxas at the Ice Cream shop and the followup in Twilight Town.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Onmi posted:

Give him a break he's been alive for like a week or two.
Well, he SHOULD have the intelligence of a teenager after he's gotten used to existence. That, and I meant more later on when it takes him nearly a full year to realize the people he's working for aren't very nice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

berryjon posted:

And it includes some things that if they were in the game would have been amazing. Like Riku talking with Roxas at the Ice Cream shop and the followup in Twilight Town.

Why did the manga stop after Days anyway? I felt a lot of them were actually better than the games in some aspects (particularly this and the COM manga).

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Larryb posted:

Why did the manga stop after Days anyway? I felt a lot of them were actually better than the games in some aspects (particularly this and the COM manga).

:10bux:

Not popular enough to bring in the money and keep writing/translating.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I had heard that the mangaka simply didn't want to do it anymore.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

Best way to lose all that health ever. :allears:

And I'm afraid I'm gonna have to call you a liar here. You'll unequip Dodge Roll when you get better versions that can be upgraded! ;)

You got me there... :sweatdrop:

I haven't read the manga for this game (or any KH manga). Is it really that good?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

I haven't read the manga for this game (or any KH manga). Is it really that good?

There's a lot more humor in them, that's for sure. Serious stuff too, naturally. But for Days? You actually get to see the O13 members when they're not working, and they tend toward being pretty chill. Luxord organizes poker games. Xion meets Pluto(!). Everyone agrees that Saix is a dick. You know, actual characterization for the villains.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Days manga is especially worth a read, the characters in it actually have more character than in the game, the main trio included.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I guess I'll read it later. For the next update, get ready for another appearance of Clock Tower and Ice Cream.

Fun fact: Hayner and Pence have more portrait than most of the Organization members (everyone except the trio and...Luxord). Not Olette, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

The Days manga is especially worth a read, the characters in it actually have more character than in the game, the main trio included.

Yeah, all 4 existing manga are pretty good to be fair but Days is probably one of the best. As mentioned it goes a little deeper into the personal life of the Organization as well as expanding on the overall story a little more , there's a cute section where Roxas and Xion temporarily adopt Pluto and he even threw an appearance from the Caterpillar into the Wonderland section, a character that has never appeared in the games themselves. So yeah, I'd say it's worth a look.

I believe all the existing manga are available legally in english via Amazon but scans also exist online if you want a quick look at it.

Also, while it never got a manga adaption, BBS did at least get a novelization that explains a few extra things the game didn't (like how, before he looked like Sora, Vanitas' true form was basically just a man-sized Heartless wearing armor). Don't know if said novel ever got translated though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 2, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

In other games this title would be normal. In this one though, it's foreboding.

Music: Sacred Moon

It's you and me again.
Okay.
Check in with Saix when- Well, you know the drill. I don't know what they've cooked up for us, but let's get it done with style, huh?
Right.
Oh, by the way, Roxas, today will be your first really-real mission. That means you should definitely prep your weapon beforehand. Oh, and if you want to practice what you've learned so far, we've got the Holo-Missions all set up for you.
Holo-Missions?
Yup. Basically, they're a way to re-experience missions you've already been assigned.

Holo-missions are good if you want to redo a mission for grinding. I won't use it, but it's there.

For some reason the top screen has TWNTW as the world in this screen.

The layout for the holo-missions is the same as the layout for missions from Saix. That I haven't shown yet.

The Skill Gear gives a new weapon. For Keyblades it's called Missing Ache. The weapon name will be different if you played multiplayer and the character uses a different weapon.

This weapon gives +5 strength and +3 critical %. The description means that the ground combo will consist of 4 hits. What it didn't say is that the air combo will be 2 hits only. That's...kind of a big deal.

The good thing in this game is that you automatically have Combo Master, so you can try out the Keyblade without any enemies. The bad thing is that you have to be in a mission to use it and you can't change equipment during missions so it can be annoying going back and forth. I'll equip it just for the stat boosts.

We can see what the Keyblade looks like. This one's not too bad, I guess.

Here, take this and take a hike. (Obtained: Potion)

Thanks, Larxene! The one in the brackets is the information bar. Some people will give items if we talk to them on certain days, which is why we've been talking to them every day (aside from the usual RPG tradition of bugging everyone). If we try to talk to her again...

Get lost. You're blocking my light.

You know, if you want light you can just ask Roxas to make it for you. Light is his element, after all. :wiggle:

Wait, wait...I'm getting an idea... Nope, it's gone.

As I said, holo-missions and Saix's missions have the exact same layout.

The clear bonuses are the ones you will get for completing the mission the first time only. The game doesn't tell us which one you won't get if you don't complete the mission fully, but it doesn't really matter since I'm going to do them fully anyway. The random bonuses are the ones you get by praying to the RNG. In this mission, it's Fire Recipe/Blazing Shard/Moonstone/Potion.

I'll just post the Summary for later missions unless there's something interesting in the others. And yes, there's these for the previous missions too. You can see it when picking holo-missions.

Music: Lazy Afternoons
Music: Sinister Sundown

Yup.
Sheesh, don't talk my ear off. ...You ready or what?
What? Oh...oh, yeah.

The red parts is the area transition that's available.

There's nothing here, but it's a nice touch that it's called "Under the Tracks" instead of "The Usual Spot".

There's Shadows here. They don't give Hearts, so they don't count toward the mission status.

This chest contains a potion.

Great... Aerial heartless while we only have two-hit air combos... Dick move, game.

You know, as a reminder that we're playing on Proud Mode. And that the party members are still useless. You can't see it here, but Axel is just standing there following me and not attacking the enemies. You had one job! :argh:

To be fair, this battle is actually not that hard if you read the reports and know that you can avoid the Possessors by jumping. And if the Keyblade didn't encourage you to do ground combos.

Of course. More aerial heartless. And a new one! That's Scarlet Tango. It attacks by launching fireballs that bounce around. It attacks slowly but the only way to stop the attack is to kill it. As you might guess, it's immune to fire which is the only magic we have now. Great.

Limit actually works longer the lower your HP is when you start it. It's indicated by the white line in the HP bar. You can see how limits can be amazing.
You can also see how Axel is definitely not amazing. You know, Vexen used to be my least favorite member of the Organization. After seeing how much they help against the enemies, Axel has taken that spot. Conglaturations. A winner is you.

Screw you, Axel.

We can open these chests during battle, but it's easier to do it after. They contain Shining Shard (synthesis item) and Potion respectively.

When going back there's actually a ground enemy (beside Shadows).

:stare: This is early. Bulky Vendors have no attacks. They just escape after a certain amount of time. They move faster after getting damaged, but Fire takes care of them.

Bulky Vendors apparently operate on the same rules as Pureblood Darkness. They don't give out Hearts and won't increase the mission gauge, probably so you weren't hosed if it escaped. It gives a ton of money, though.

Just kill the Heartless on the way back and you'll finish this mission fully.

I was just gonna report to Saix and then go to my room like I always do.
Go to your room!? Oh, Roxas, Roxas...

Last one there has to buy the winner an ice cream!
Oh, sure, now you tell us!
No fair, Hayner!
Better get flyin' if you don't wanna end up buyin'!

The three of them run past Roxas and Axel.

Hmm... Must be some kids who live here.
Really? They sure acted weird.
Yeah How do you figure?
Why did those last two seem to enjoy getting pushed around like that? They were even making those "ha ha" noises.
You mean laughter? Sometimes people with hearts do that even when it doesn't make any sense.
Oh... Then I guess they're different from us.
C'mon, let's get some ice cream.
Why?

Axel: Because I got an ice cream addiction.

Whaddaya mean, why?
Because we're friends.

Axel: I've been in only two missions with you but sure, I won't pass up a chance to spread ice cream addiction!

And that is the source of Roxas' famous quote that we'll hear at the end of this game.

Sort of... That, or laugh at stupid stuff that doesn't make any sense. Like those kids we just saw-they were friends. C'mon, I'll show you how it works.

Pence exits stage right and Hayner enters stage left.

Yes it was! I saw you drop it! You owe me an ice cream! Get back here, Pence!

Same thing but with Hayner and Olette.

Come on, Hayner! You can go one stinking day without ice cream!

Music: At Dusk, I Will Think of You...

KH 358/2=179 Days of Falling Salty Diabetes
Twilight Station Tower: 2
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 4

Let's meet up for ice cream again after your next mission. I mean, who wants to spend their days just bouncing between work and the castle, right?
Ha ha, not me! Hey, I laughed... I guess we really are friends.

Music: Crossing the Finish Line

I'll explain what the 2 next to Block is, but Block is still the same as the other games. It...blocks...attacks.

New reports:

There's no monologue anymore! :toot:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 7, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Starting from now we're put straight into The Grey Area.

The Block (2) means it'll take up 2 slots. The second slot is used for an upgrade but since we have no upgrade for Block yet, it'll have to stay empty.

This is why the panel system sucks early on. There's really not enough space.

Hmph. Here, take this. Make use of it as you see fit. (Obtained: Ether)
If only we'd met sooner, Roxas... You would have made a fine addition.

The line after the item is actually the one we got for talking to him again. I'm just going to show them together like that from now on.

Marluxia and Larxene planning to betray the Organization, we know this already. It's interesting that the only reason they chose Sora over Roxas is because Sora is more skilled, but then made him forget all of his abilities anyway.

Here, I believe you deserve this. (Obtained: Panacea)
I hope you continue to apply yourself.

We're slowly getting the approval of other members! :unsmith: Panacea is an item that cures status effects. Slots are too limited so we won't equip this.

Some will be mandatory, but beyond that, our policy is that you set your own workload. The order of execution is also for you to decide. Start with the missions you feel most prepared for.

Like the tutorial said, we can choose whichever order we want but we just have to complete the first one. We will do them all now.

As you can see, the world in the bottom screen has been replaced by the target. We just have to search for them.

There are other enemies too, but they don't count toward the mission completion.

The Watchers can either shoot out laser bullets or laser beams. There's not really much difference between those attacks, but you can't use Reaction Commands like KH2 so it's harder to deal with them. There's actually 2 of them here.

4 of them is actually kinda dangerous since we're still level 1, but thankfully Larxene is here to help. Unlike a certain fiery Nobody.

Limit Breaks are still great. If my HP is low and I didn't say anything, just assume I used a Limit Break. Oh, and the chests contain Potion and Iron (synthesis item).

The last Watcher is hiding back near the starting place.

Easy.

Twilight Station Tower: 3
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 6

It's just 13 seconds of them sitting on the tower. At least it's skippable.

We leveled up! :toot: We still have to equip the level up panel, though.

For the days with multiple missions there won't be any title for them. Therefore later on I won't be showing them. Just keep in mind that every mission we complete advances the day.

I'm going to tackle those kinds of days all in one update. So let's start the next mission.

Shadows are the only Heartless we'll find in the Tram Common and The Woods.

There's a whopping 7 chests to collect here. The contents are Blazing Shard, Blazing Shard, Potion and Potion.

There's the fifth chest with another Blazing Shard, but more importantly this screenshot shows a big problem with this game: limited inventory slot. Because limited ability slot isn't enough.

Remember the second screen of the Items slot? The one filled with items you picked up from chests and drops? You can only pick up a total of 6 items. And there's 7 chests here, not to mention the drops you might get. Great. :sigh:

The Heartless are all here. All of them are Dire Plants. Fire one-shots them. There's 8 of them, but only 5 will spawn at a time.

A powerful enemy, you say?

Better get some chests I missed first! At least with full inventory you can see what the chest contain before deciding whether to give up the chest's content or discard an item. And I can show the chest and its contents in the same picture. Normally the chests disappears so I couldn't do that.

Anyway, this is the Heartless warned by the mission summary. How bad could...

:stare:

It took almost Roxas' entire health bar in 1 combo. And it restored its HP. And this is on level 2. On level 1 it straight-up kills Roxas. Which I know because I forgot to equip the level-up panel in the first take and had to reequip it and redo the mission to try this. Because the holo-mission won't be available until you advance the days.

Get ready to see this screen a lot. It's a nice touch that there's no heart there.

Twilight Station Tower: 4
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 8

So gently caress that poo poo I'm not going to deal with it right now.

New Music: Rowdy Rumble

Oh look! It's our good friend the Dusks! We just have to survive for 1 minute. We can kill the Dusks, but it will always spawn more so that there's always 4 on the field.

For this mission is best to just stay in the corner and block their attacks since I swear the dusks are harder to deal with than KH2. At least in Proud Mode. I don't know how to describe their attacks, but there's two kinds and both can be blocked. Don't get too greedy and try to kill them with Limit Breaks because you're not invincible during them and this can happen:

Or this:

:sigh: Just block and bring Potions and you should be fine.

Twilight Station Tower: 5
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 10

Yeah, can't complain.
That's good.

The day automatically advances after finishing all available missions.

New reports:

Yes, we still get the report for it even if we didn't actually kill it.

Optional Boss: Zip Slasher

:frogout: I did this through the holo-mission after clearing the missions. The Zip Slasher only has one attack, but that attack will take most of Roxas' health and restore its own. But the saving grace here is Marluxia. Here's what I did:
1. Get hits on it. Probably 2 full combos, but stop whenever it blocks or jumps back.
2. Block when it spins.
3. If you block successfully, repeat step 1-2.
4. If the block isn't successful and you get hit, use Potion until your HP is full and then repeat step 1-2.
5. If you get hit and you don't have any more potions, do step 6-7.
6. Do 1 combo after it spins. Then run away. Bait it into spinning if necessary.
7. Be far away from it when it spins.
8. If Marluxia got hit by the attack, he will use Mega Potion and heal you too. If you get full HP because of this then go to step 1-2. Otherwise repeat step 6-7.

It's annoying and tedious, but you're not meant to do this now anyway. I just do it mostly to show that I can (also that I have too much time).

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 7, 2018

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Yeah, taking out the Zip Slasher now isn't really worth the technical tedium you have to go through at this point. On the other hand, it's a great introduction to the whole line of this Heartless - which oddly enough only appears in this game and in X/Cross Chi/whatever you want to call the mobile game.

All the rest of them tend to be easier because you'll have more powerful weapons and the level difference won't be as bad.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

1234567890num posted:

Get ready to see this screen a lot. It's a nice touch that there's no heart there.
Thinking about it, this retroactively makes no sense. Apparently that all had hearts the entire time, as revealed in Dream Drop Distance.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

Yeah, taking out the Zip Slasher now isn't really worth the technical tedium you have to go through at this point. On the other hand, it's a great introduction to the whole line of this Heartless - which oddly enough only appears in this game and in X/Cross Chi/whatever you want to call the mobile game.

All the rest of them tend to be easier because you'll have more powerful weapons and the level difference won't be as bad.

True. It's REALLY not worth doing this right now since our reward is...a Hi-Potion :confuoot:

TheLoneStar posted:

Thinking about it, this retroactively makes no sense. Apparently that all had hearts the entire time, as revealed in Dream Drop Distance.

I think it's more of that they grow hearts over time. Don't know how long it takes, though. So it makes sense now but probably won't make sense later. You can always blame Nomura for not thinking about that when making this game, though. Or that he basically invalidates the main characteristic of Nobodies.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

I think it's more of that they grow hearts over time. Don't know how long it takes, though. So it makes sense now but probably won't make sense later. You can always blame Nomura for not thinking about that when making this game, though. Or that he basically invalidates the main characteristic of Nobodies.

I mean, it's not like Ventus has a Heart that can use a Keyblade and even shows up later in the game for a flash and has a better claim to being Roxas than Sora does.

I love the series, I really do. But the writing is a total mess some days.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You can kill it now, but that relies on Marluxia being the primary damage dealer while you hide in the corner and try to avoid eye contact. :v:

berryjon posted:

There's also the Eliminator in Re:Coded.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

I mean, it's not like Ventus has a Heart that can use a Keyblade and even shows up later in the game for a flash and has a better claim to being Roxas than Sora does.

:doh: I completely forgot about Ventus somehow. Yeah, it's really a total mess. Especially that bit about sleeping worlds in DDD.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You can kill it now, but that relies on Marluxia being the primary damage dealer while you hide in the corner and try to avoid eye contact. :v:

There's also the Eliminator in Re:Coded.

Marluxia isn't the damage dealer. He's the healer. The part about hiding and avoiding eye contact is true, though. ;)

Isn't Eliminator a completely different type of Heartless? Looking at the wiki it's a recolor of Defender.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

:doh: I completely forgot about Ventus somehow. Yeah, it's really a total mess. Especially that bit about sleeping worlds in DDD.
Don't worry! I'm sure that KH3 in January will explain everything properly!

Huh, why did my sarcasm meter just break?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

1234567890num posted:

Isn't Eliminator a completely different type of Heartless? Looking at the wiki it's a recolor of Defender.

Oh, you meant the sword guys, not the "Heartless that show up at the end of missions to murder you".

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Ha. Hahahah. Zipslash. Oh god id that but a drop in the bucket compared to what I consider one of the worst designed optional bosses in this game. You folks who have played this game to completion know what I’m talking about

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

Don't worry! I'm sure that KH3 in January will explain everything properly!

Huh, why did my sarcasm meter just break?

Here's a thought: Which is more likely? KH3 explaining everything or a Disney world being the first/final world? Or better yet, a Disney character getting norted and becoming part of the New Organization XIII?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

1234567890num posted:

Here's a thought: Which is more likely? KH3 explaining everything or a Disney world being the first/final world? Or better yet, a Disney character getting norted and becoming part of the New Organization XIII?

Disney is NOT going to let a character get Norted

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Here's a thought: Which is more likely? KH3 explaining everything or a Disney world being the first/final world?

Olympus Coliseum is the first world in KH3. Unless you count the cutscene only Yen Sid's Tower.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Onmi posted:

Theory: They'll let a character from The Black Cauldron get Norted because they hate the movie so drat much.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

We're skipping ahead quite a bit.

Trading Ethers for Fires. You can see that we're quickly running out of spaces.
And we got a Hi-Potion from beating that Zip Slasher. Not even remotely worth it since we don't even have space for it.

Huh? What are you talking about?

Axel's right there, so the tutorial team Castle Oblivion crew hasn't gone yet, right?

Fine. Let's go do our mission.

Sounds simple enough.

What was today's target again? A Guardian?
Huh? Oh, yeah, I think so.
You are such a zombie. Want me to go have all the fun while you figure it out? C'mon.

The Guardian is our second "new" Heartless that's just a recolor. The first one is Scarlet Tango which I forgot to mention because I confused it with Red Nocturne (which was in KH1). The Mega Shadow isn't recolored since it's just resized.

The Minute Bombs are...bombs. They normally attack by headbutting, but it can also start a countdown. After the countdown ended, it will explode. Or you can also cause it to explode by using fire. If they exploded, you still get the Hearts but you won't get the chain bonus.

These three treasure contains a Potion each.

Watchers start appearing inside the Underground Passage.

The gates also start appearing inside the passage. They work the same way as before.

Not opening that gate leads to a 3-way intersection with one of them blocked by this gate with a different color.

At the end of the other way is a chest with Blazing Shard.

The switch to open the cyan gate is in the room barred by the yellow gate. All the other entrance to the room is blocked by colorless (unopenable) gates.

And the way forward is blocked by the magenta gate with the switch right next to it. And a reminder that you can't examine things except treasure chests when there's enemies around (enemies not shown).

The last treasure chest is in the room with the cyan switch. This mission automatically ends once you kill the Watcher, so make sure to get it before then. If you forgot it's no big deal. You can just do pick it up later on the holo-mission and leave without finishing it. Oh, and all weapon panel ends in "Gear".

When we go through the area that was barred with magenta gate...

Right.

Not sure why they put it there, but whatever. We still have to go through the side street, so it's not like it's warning that the Guardian is in the next area.

New Music: Tension Rising

Here we go, Roxas! Keep your head out of the clouds!
Right!

The Guardian only has one aatack: A big laser. It deals a third of Roxas' health, but it's very easy to avoid: just move left/right when he's going to shoot.

I think this is a good time to talk about status effects, since Axel's having it right now. Each of the 13 elemental attacks will cause different effect, which is status ailments (SA) or special attacks (...also SA but I'll call it AE for attack effects.)
1. Nothingness -> Null Defense (AE): Attacks ignore defense. Can be brutal, but it's not actually a status effect so it's just a matter of luck whether this procs or not.
2. Space -> Shoe-glue (SA): You can't jump, thus you can't do aerial combos/glide/whatever. Signified by a 1 ton weight (like Axel there). Magic makes this a non-issue unless the enemy is immune/you ran out.
3. Wind -> Air-toss (SA): You'll get tossed into the air, unable to do anything and taking more damage. This effect ends once the character lands back on the ground. Signified by the tornado. More annoying than dangerous.
4. Ice -> Freeze (SA): Normal freeze as in you can't do anything. You can thaw by button mashing. Still better than the wind effect.
5. Earth -> Halve HP (AE): Attacks deal half of MAX HP. Extremely dangerous. Heal immediately or quickly kill the enemy. It doesn't happen that often, but it's very scary when it does happen.
6. Illusion -> Flip-foot (SA): Controls are reversed. Signified by question marks. Annoying but you can get used to it.
7. Moon -> Silence (SA): Can't cast magic. Signified by ellipsis. Can be dangerous if you're facing a physical-resistant enemy/you're on low HP but no items left.
8. Fire -> Ignite (SA): Continuous damage. Signified by fire. Just use cure/items.
9. Water -> Drain Damage (AE): Attacks will drain HP. Annoying but not dangerous. I think the Zip Slasher uses this element.
10. Time -> Rewound Defense (SA): Nullify all defense boost from levels. I'm pretty sure the boosts from equipments still applies, though. Signified by Lv. 1 speech bubble.
11. Flower -> Blind (SA): Most physical attacks will miss. Attacks will look like it hit, but instead of the normal impact the word "Miss" will appear and the enemy will be just fine. Signified by sunglasses. Just use magic, but can be annoying if you ran out/the enemy is immune to magic.
12. Electric -> Jolt (SA): Contact with anything except floor (allies, enemies, walls, boxes) will cause damage. Signified by electricity. Annoying, but not that dangerous. Hitting allies will damage that ally too.
13. Light -> Radar Zap (SA): The mini map is replaced by a white screen. Annoying, but if you memorized the world already (due to there being no new worlds in this game) then it can be ignored.

tl;dr: most of the status effects are more annoying than dangerous but the attack effects are actually dangerous.

Every character has a 10% resistance of their native element, such as Roxas to light. That doesn't mean they're immune, though.

This is a shot from another take where Axel is ignited by a Minute Bomb's explosion. This game isn't playing with Re:CoM or KH2 rules.

Anyway, defeat the Watchers first for extra Hearts, then kill the Guardian. Just avoid the laser and you'll be fine.

Heh, gotta say, man, you've come a long way in just a handful of days.
You ready to head back?
Yeah.

Twilight Station Tower: 6
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 12

Huh? Why?
Starting tomorrow, I'm gonna be away.
Oh...
Since you're my buddy, I guess I can fill you in.
I'm gonna be at Castle Oblivion for a while.

Oh, it's that time already? I guess it took almost one month between Sora becoming a heartless and Sora beating "Ansem".

What's that?
The Organization's got a second castle situated in the world between worlds.
It's called Castle Oblivioin. Got it memorized?
Yeah. I wish people told me these things.
Well, I gotta head back and get ready. Fun fun fun... Anyway, you take your time.

Axel leaves.

Doublecast is amazing and we'll equip it next update.

New reports:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 7, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Onmi posted:

This is most likely true, but one can hope... I mean, there're some characters that are (in)famous but probably won't be put in the games. Like Gaston, for example. Would've made the Disney characters more involved, at least...

berryjon posted:

Olympus Coliseum is the first world in KH3. Unless you count the cutscene only Yen Sid's Tower.

From the trailers that may be the case, but there's a chance that there will be a tutorial in Yen Sid's Tower about Kairi and Lea learning how to use the keyblade. If that's true then the first world is only half Disney depending on how you look at it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

1234567890num posted:

This is most likely true, but one can hope... I mean, there're some characters that are (in)famous but probably won't be put in the games. Like Gaston, for example. Would've made the Disney characters more involved, at least...

From the trailers that may be the case, but there's a chance that there will be a tutorial in Yen Sid's Tower about Kairi and Lea learning how to use the keyblade. If that's true then the first world is only half Disney depending on how you look at it.

Disney also does not want the Disney characters involved. Disney really seems to struggle with the idea of what the gently caress a crossover is supposed to entail, and it shocks me even after all these games they're like "Yeah Nah, keep it all separate."

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Onmi posted:

Disney also does not want the Disney characters involved. Disney really seems to struggle with the idea of what the gently caress a crossover is supposed to entail, and it shocks me even after all these games they're like "Yeah Nah, keep it all separate."

Basically this. Only Donald, Goofy and Mickey are allowed to hog the spotlight, everyone else gets the finger and can die for all they care. You'd THINK they'd get it after all these years, but...yea. Disney's never been exactly known for good decision making this past handful of years.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Onmi posted:

Oh. I didn't know that was the case. Disney seemed pretty involved in KH1, but they probably changed their mind after that. A shame, too. It would've made interesting story material.

The manga was interesting. Glad they decided to make Roxas and the others more involved in the Disney worlds (except Halloween town). The Organization members are more fleshed out (except Larxene & Xigbar who are basically the same and Zexion & Xaldin who are relatively not really shown that much). I'm not counting Xemnas and Saix since they just hang out at the castle. I especially love the Wonderland sections.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 6, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

1234567890num posted:

Oh. I didn't know that was the case. Disney seemed pretty involved in KH1, but they probably changed their mind after that. A shame, too. It would've made interesting story material.

The manga was interesting. Glad they decided to make Roxas and the others more involved in the Disney worlds (except Halloween town). The Organization members are more fleshed out (except Larxene & Xigbar who are basically the same and Zexion & Xaldin who are relatively not really shown that much). I'm not counting Xemnas and Saix since they just hang out at the castle. I especially love the Wonderland sections.

The reason characters did not join the party in KH1, that Mickey was consigned to a single cameo at the end of the game, and that nothing in the various worlds actually plays into the larger plot with the exception of the things directly affecting Sora, Riku and Kairi, is because Disney did not want the characters to crossover. It's more that, to have a game that expanded upon the plot of KH1, they needed to introduce more original content. In the end, there's no difference to Agrabah in KH1 or 2 except Jaffar is aligned with the Alliance of the Villains who don't do anything in KH1. It's Riku who winds up kidnapping the Princess', The villains in KH1 don't actually support each other, and like Maleficent and Pete in KH2, have no connection to the actual Ansem/Organization plot. They're just obstacles to conclude that worlds event, they have no far-reaching consequences, and ultimately they serve no purpose.

Again, this is by design. The entire reason that Kingdom Hearts was "worlds" traveled to in a spaceship, and party members didn't join and the whole "World Order" thing, was an excuse to explain why only characters who are allowed to appear all over (Donald and Goofy) join Sora's quest. The initial idea was that as is traditional for most RPGs, Sora would be joined by Aladdin, Jack, Peter Pan etc. Permanently over the course of the game. Disney, for their own reasons, didn't want this.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Onmi posted:

The reason characters did not join the party in KH1, that Mickey was consigned to a single cameo at the end of the game, and that nothing in the various worlds actually plays into the larger plot with the exception of the things directly affecting Sora, Riku and Kairi, is because Disney did not want the characters to crossover. It's more that, to have a game that expanded upon the plot of KH1, they needed to introduce more original content. In the end, there's no difference to Agrabah in KH1 or 2 except Jaffar is aligned with the Alliance of the Villains who don't do anything in KH1. It's Riku who winds up kidnapping the Princess', The villains in KH1 don't actually support each other, and like Maleficent and Pete in KH2, have no connection to the actual Ansem/Organization plot. They're just obstacles to conclude that worlds event, they have no far-reaching consequences, and ultimately they serve no purpose.

Again, this is by design. The entire reason that Kingdom Hearts was "worlds" traveled to in a spaceship, and party members didn't join and the whole "World Order" thing, was an excuse to explain why only characters who are allowed to appear all over (Donald and Goofy) join Sora's quest. The initial idea was that as is traditional for most RPGs, Sora would be joined by Aladdin, Jack, Peter Pan etc. Permanently over the course of the game. Disney, for their own reasons, didn't want this.

Kemix posted:

Basically this. Only Donald, Goofy and Mickey are allowed to hog the spotlight, everyone else gets the finger and can die for all they care. You'd THINK they'd get it after all these years, but...yea. Disney's never been exactly known for good decision making this past handful of years.

:psyduck:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

New Music: Xemnus

We have reason to believe one or more of the members assigned to C.O. intend to betray us. Find them, and dispose of them.
And I take it that's straight from Lord Xemnas's lips, huh?

But...this ice cream stick that says WINNER... I have to ask him what I won.

In the comic the "WINNER" stick isn't rare and the prize is shown right away (it's more ice cream). In the game they made such a big deal out of what the prize is and I don't think it's ever revealed. It's probably icy friendship. Or creamed friendship.

Link panels are where the puzzle part of panel management come from.

The Double has a 4 next to it, just like the Block has a 2 next to it. You can't change the shape of it. For Block we don't have anything to use to link to it, but for Doublecast we can link any magic to it. All magic linked to Doublecast gives 2 casts. So the 3 Fires linked gives 2 cast each while the rest give 1 cast, so we can cast Fire 8 times in this configuration.

With 6 casts, we don't need ethers. Linking is very useful, but it can be hard to make all of them fit.

The Loaded Gear's description is Transforms your weapon and boosts your Magic to give it more power. It gives +9 strength, +12 magic, +2 critical %, and +1 critical bonus. The Skill gear gives +5 strenth and +3 critical %. Obviously we're equipping it.

The Keyblade itself is just a recolor of the previous one. The ground combo is back to 3 hits but the air combo remains 2.

(Obtained: Blazing Shard)
Wonder what it's like there, anyway. I've never been.

Pay extra attention to the intel I've prepared for you in the mission briefs. Use the data on your targets to decide which panels you should take into the field.

I swear, we're there's worlds beside Twilight Town and TWNTW in this game!

We need you to eliminate a specific Heartless. Roxas, you are in charge.
Me? Oh...okay.

(I'm in charge, huh?)

We can go to the Side Street and Station Heights, but neither spots have the target Heartless.

There are just these Heartless. Best to use physical attacks on them since we're not going to get chain bonus for exploded bombs.

We can access the Underground Passage from the street. All the (used to be) colored gates are open. I don't think the (used to be and now still) uncolored gates are going to open all game. Oh, and both of these has potions.

The Poison Plant is in the Tunnel.

Its only attack is a bullet seed that can't be blocked but easily dodged. The attack deals half of Roxas' HP because Proud Mode. The report says that it also has an attack for close-range but I didn't see it.

It has more HP than Guardian but it's easier to deal since Fire is effective. You can burn it, but it can blind you (both happened in that picture).

Trying to block the bullet seed gets me into Limit Break area which allow me to conserve Fire. Which is good because on the way back plenty of Dire Plants spawned.

Xion hasn't been revealed to use the Keyblade yet. She only uses magic in this mission. It's still strange that enemies killed by her releases gray hearts, though.

Good thing we have Fire here, right? It doesn't matter that much since remember when I said we can't examine anything except chests when there's enemies? It turns out we can RTC while there's enemies there, too. So that's nice.

Xion went into the portal. Roxas went away from the portal.

Twilight Station Tower: 7
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 13

The Sign of Resolve is an accessory. We can only equip one of them at a time and the stat boost is listed right there.

New Reports:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 7, 2018

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Its only attack is a bullet seed that can't be blocked but easily dodged. The attack deals half of Roxas' HP because Proud Mode. The report says that it also has an attack for close-range but I didn't see it.
That's the face-plant attack where it slams the area around it repeatedly. It only happens if you get up close and hit it a few times.

Kemix posted:

To be fair to that decision process, we did get Ducktales, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck and Tale Spin out of the exec's desire to maintain control over the big three. Remember, Donald only showed up twice(?) in a show about his nephews and uncle.

There's a certain myopic zone where those three characters are concerned that Disney has, and it's not going to go away any time soon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

berryjon posted:

That's the face-plant attack where it slams the area around it repeatedly. It only happens if you get up close and hit it a few times.

To be fair to that decision process, we did get Ducktales, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck and Tale Spin out of the exec's desire to maintain control over the big three. Remember, Donald only showed up twice(?) in a show about his nephews and uncle.

There's a certain myopic zone where those three characters are concerned that Disney has, and it's not going to go away any time soon.

In the end, we only have Sora because they couldn't decide on whether Mickey or Donald would be the protagonist. I think Disney wanted it to be Donald and Square wanted it to be Mickey. We only have Ansem because Disney didn't want Chernabog as the final boss. Pretty much all of Kingdom Hearts original contributions can be tied back to Disney not really wanting the Disney stuff to be used in that sort of way. So Square just shrugged, went "gently caress it" and crafted their own lore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

1234567890num posted:

Speaking of which, Haloween Town makes no appearance at all in any of the KH manga (though Deep Jungle wasn't in the KH1 adaption and I believe both the Pride Lands and Port Royal were cut from the KH2 manga), was there any particular reason why? The author seems to really love Agrabah though (it's in every manga and it's the only Disney world that appears in the COM adaption).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

The initial idea was that as is traditional for most RPGs, Sora would be joined by Aladdin, Jack, Peter Pan etc. Permanently over the course of the game. Disney, for their own reasons, didn't want this.

Was the reason that they hated money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Was the reason that they hated money?

Because they didn't want to risk their brand actually. Disney and licensed games have often been on the poor end of the spectrum, and they weren't sure this was going to work or not.

According to apocrypha, the original idea for Kingdom Hearts came when two guys from Square (before the -Enix) and Disney were in the elevator together because their offices were in the same building but on different floors, and they shoot the breeze about a giant Disney crossover game developed by Square.