Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Sacred Moon

Bossy coworkers?
Yeah, the "dream team" that got shipped off to Castle Oblivion. Dreamy for me, because they're gone!
Oh...
Too bad you and Poppet didn't get to spend more quality time with them.
Poppet? Who's that?
Xion, of course. Who else, kiddo?

A not-so-subtle reference about Xion being a puppet. Get it? Puppet, poppet? :suicide:

My name's not "kiddo."

Some rings have abilities, but not this one. The panel slots in the earlygame are very limited, as you can see.

...instead of gopher!

Music: Lazy Afternoons
Music: Sinister Sundown

This is a very short mission.

The chest contain a Power Unit. Power Units can be linked to gears to increase the strength. Yes, gears can be linked too. I don't remember, but the wiki says that the strength increase depends on the gear.

The Side Street has these two and nothing else. The Deserters are in the Sandlot, which is the only other area we can access. I told you this mission is short.

Music: Rowdy Rumble

Okay, two Soldier recolors... That's fine...

:sigh: There's more of them offscreen and they're all running around. Great...

The Deserter's only attack is kicking Roxas. And only after you kill one of them. After attacking once, they will continue running. You'll want to kill them during this part.

Killing them in the first place is a pain since they're ALWAYS running around unless you manage to kill them. Which is hard when, you know, you can't hit them. Even Fire's homing properties can miss since it is slower than them or it might hit the bench on the sides. I mean, look at the bottom screen!

They do stop sometimes, but definitely not long enough. And there's 15 of them, with 5 of them at a time.

The mission is short, but you might spend quite some time chasing them down. Anyway, it automatically ends once you kill the last Deserter.

Roxas started to leave.

Huh?
What did you say?
Your name...it's...Roxas, isn't it?
Yeah, Xion. ...That's right.

Music stops

Not sure why we're getting these flashbacks here.

Music: At Dusk, I Will Think of You...

KH 358/2=179 Days of Falling Salty Diabetes
Twilight Station Tower: 8
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 14

Music: Crossing the Finish Line

And right on time, we got our first linkable weapon. Not that I'm going to use it since the stat boost gap is too large to make it worth it.

New reports:

I don't find blocking to be worth it because they might swarm you and block only works if the attack comes from the front. It's better to dodge roll, I think.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

1234567890num posted:

I don't find blocking to be worth it because they might swarm you and block only works if the attack comes from the front. It's better to dodge roll, I think.

Round Guard is your friend. When you get it. Or higher level Thunder spells that can punish them for running right at you and clumping all together.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Speaking of Soldier recolors, I was always disappointed how a majority of the "new" enemy Heartless in this game are just recolors of existing ones. Even with the actual new ones, those Heartless get a bunch of recolors as well. At least not all the bosses are copy/pasted.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

Round Guard is your friend. When you get it. Or higher level Thunder spells that can punish them for running right at you and clumping all together.

True, but usually by then I'm already used to just dodging.

TheLoneStar posted:

Speaking of Soldier recolors, I was always disappointed how a majority of the "new" enemy Heartless in this game are just recolors of existing ones. Even with the actual new ones, those Heartless get a bunch of recolors as well. At least not all the bosses are copy/pasted.

Yeah, it's a real problem. It's worse than the original Chain of Memories since those will just scale the level of Heartless according to the floor you're in. And being on DS is no excuse since it lost to the game on GBA. And your last sentence is true; not all bosses imply that some of bosses are recolored, which is just :effort:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Umm...
Something the matter?
Good...morning, Roxas.

Why must you be a spoilsport?

This is pretty much the same as magic link. To unlock the weapon abilities you need to link Ability Units (which we don't have right now).

The first one is with the Loaded Gear while the second one is with Skill Gear+Power Unit. Definitely not worth changing from Loaded Gear.

Which is why we're sticking with the same configuration as last time.

(Obtained: Moonstone)
This place is refreshingly quiet with Demyx gone.

That's just what Demyx himself was saying anyway. He's talking about Larxene, but still.

I've arranged for you to be alloted additional slots as you complete missions for us.The harder you work, the more panels you will be permitted to install.

Darkside is our first boss. He appears in plenty of games, but still not as many as Olympus Coliseum.

Th-thanks.
You too, Xion.

This chest has a Potion.

There's just these 3 types of Heartless All of them are easy to handle now that the partner isn't just sitting on their rear end (screw you, Axel :argh:).

Blazing Shard, Potion, Potion respectively. After exploring, we go to the Station Plaza.

New Music: Destiny's Force

Our target!
You ready for this?
Yeah.

Boss: Darkside

Yeah, it's nice we found the target and all, but treasure first! I have to sacrifice a Potion but whatever; we have 20 of them.

The Darkside can create a shockwave. Just jump over it.

It can also shoot orbs. Just block it while locked on to him to deflect it.

It can put its hand into the ground, creating shockwave in the process...

He grabs a...planet? basketball? from the ground and releases it into the air.

After that rains of orbs will fall. It's slow, so you can dodge it when you see its shadow. Even if you do get hit, you can just shrug it off since the damage is very low.

Finally, it can spawn Shadows. It's not a threat. You can hit its head during this time.

As for damaging it, just jump and hit its hand. Or use Fire.

Darkside got nothing on Zip Slasher.

Video stops here

But in Cutscene Land, Darkside is trying to punch Roxas...

...and ends up knocking his Keyblade away.

So Xion grabs summons it.

And uses it to defeat Darkside. Too bad Darkside is a Pureblood Heartless, so no Hearts for you.

Music stops

Meh. It's not that impressive anymore. :nallears:

You did great. In fact, you deserve a little something extra.
Something extra?
Yeah, the icing on the cake. C'mon. There's this place...

Heeere ya go.

Twilight Station Tower: 9
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 16

Well? Go on, try it.
Okay... *eats the ice cream* It's sweet. But kinda salty, too.
It's really good, right? Me and Axel always meet up here for ice cream after work. Sea-salt is Axel's favorite.
Sounds like it's yours, too!
Heh, yeah.

It's not like you ever tried any other flavor, Roxas.

I don't remember it too well, but Axel said he took me here my very first day with the Organization.
And then he bought me some ice cream again after my first mission. Said it was the "icing on the cake."
A little something extra?
Exactly.
You guys must be close.
Axel's my first friend.
Your...friend?

Please, not this again...

Roxas, do you think I could be a friend?
When Axel gets back, let's ask him. Then all three of us can have ice cream together!
Okay!

Thank goodness we didn't get another speech on friendship this time.

Slot Releaser makes one new panel available. Obviously, you'll want to get as much of these as possible. Frosh Shard is just a synthesis item. Blizzard is ice magic, as you might guess. Unlike other games, Blizzard have homing properties. However, it travels in multiple straight lines instead of Fire's curved line.

New reports:

I don't see how those orbs can be earth elemental, but okay.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
With height like that, I'd play basketball, too.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I hope it's with Xion.

You just had 3 missions in a row with Xion!

Okay? As if. Word has it at least one of the folks we sent to Castle Oblivion has been terminated.
Terminated? But that means...

Forget Castle Oblivion, we're going to Agrabah! We're finally getting out of Twilight Town! :dance:

Is it true about Castle Oblivion?
That's no concern of yours.
But what about Axel?
Who knows. Perhaps he is among the lost.
But...
No buts. There's work to be done. Get yourself ready.

Equip a weapon panel and show me. I'll tell you if you've done it properly.

We already equipped it for a while now, Xaldin. Let's talk to him again.

Good. It seems you have at least a rudimentary grasp of panels. You may as well have this. (Obtained: Hi-Potion)
I've nothing else for you. Move along.

Huh. This is new.

Have I neglected to mention the new shop? Conduct your business there before missions.

Some missions have a minimal rank, requiring every player to fulfill that rank. Ranks also affect what the Heartless might drop. Better items are droppable as your rank increases.

:syoon: How cute! The Moogle have their own cloak! It's the ONLY Final Fantasy character in this game.

Roxas. What's yours?
...... My name is of no importance, kupo.

I'm sad that the pom-pom is too big to fit in the portrait.

But... Hrm.
Are you here to shop, kupo? Have a look, kupo, at my wondrous wares.
Okay, let's see what you've got.

FINALLY we get to use the Hearts and Munny that we have collected. About time!

Most of these are pretty self explanatory.

The items needed to synthesize are displayed on the top screen. Hi-Potion restores 50% HP, Mega-Potion restores 40% HP to everyone, Hi-Ether restores 2 casts of each Magic you have, and Limit Recharge restores the Yellow HP area. We don't have the materials for the rings yet, so they don't matter. We can make Hi-Potions now, but it's not necessary yet. We're going to get more this mission anyway. We won't synthesize anything right now.

The shop, meanwhile, sells more useful things. I bought the Slot Releaser, Level Up, Triplecast (all linked magic have 3 casts), Power Unit and everything in the next picture.

Obviously you can only buy one of each (except items and magics). The Chrono Gear gives the best stat boosts out of them all. The Soldier Ring gives better stats and ability than the Brawl Ring.

Even with the expansion, we're still kinda limited on slots. Combo boosts will increase your power as the combo goes on.

I'm not going to mention the stat boosts from the Keyblade since there's too many of them. I'll just show the stats for those of you who cares. The Keyblade itself has the same color palette as before and its combo is exactly the same.

Really, game? You're going to hide the world even though we can see it on the top screen and Saix just mentioned its name? Alright then.

New Music: A Day in Agrabah
New Music: Arabian Dream

And we can see the world's name within seconds after entering. Kinda useless covering it up.

What's wrong? Dazzled by the new scenery?
Do you think it's true-about the members stationed at Castle Oblivion?
Ha ha, is that seriously what's eating you?
We might have lost a comrade. Maybe multiple comrades. That doesn't bother you at all?
As if.
Look, the faster we get this mission done, the sooner you can RTC and get your answers.
Fine.
Let's go, kiddo.

This is a recon mission, so this is going to be a long one. At least we're examining the abridged verion of the KH1 Agrabah.

This chest contains a Panacea.

With the new levels and weapon, the Scarlet Tango dies in 1 combo so it's not a threat anymore. Loudmouth dies in 1.5 combo. All it did is heal itself and all other Heartless around. It can also do a wind attack, but it normally dies before it has the chance to do so.

What's all this lumber lying around for?

This gate is blocking the way.
And what a gate. This city must be big on security.
Well, we have to do something about it if we want to get past.

Is this a shop? It's deserted...
Yeah, as in "full of desert."

A sand dune, here? That's kind of odd.
Different strokes, I guess. Maybe they like beach volleyball.
You really think that's it?
H ha ha, no. No, I don't.

Big door...
Probably leads to the royal palace.
Probably? Are you just guessing?
As if. Take a good look, High walls, ornamental carvings... The construction's different than the rest of the city.

These dishes are covered in sand.

These levers work similarly to the gate and switch in Twilight Town. Just smack it and...

...the gate will be opened.[/i]

The Dire Plants mentioned in the briefing shows up here. They die in 1 combo. Combo Boost is amazing.

This stall is half-buried in sand.
Remind me to build MY city someplace less dusty.

No sand piles up here.
Which means they must've just built this scaffold.

Potion. Meh.

Are they selling pottery...or sand?

There are signs here of somebody trying to clear the sand.

Again, the gate to the next area is barred. We can't go through the upper door.

What we have to do is hit this structure to drop the box.

Then hit the box toward the taller boxes. Then we can jump to the area with the lever and more things to examine.

A pile of rope? Hunh.

The wall here is falling apart... I guess it's an old city?
As if. Look closer. The bricks aren't eroded. This damage was all done recently.
By what?

Lumber, rope... What's all this for?

You can tell I did this on a different take. You don't need to examine everything I show. All of the ones where it just has one Roxas line is optional.

This lever opens the gate so we can proceed. You can see the treasure chest that we can't reach in the distance. As we proceed...

I guess them's the breaks when you build your city in the middle of the desert.
Past that, not much to mention, though. Seems like a pretty normal town, yeah?
Huh?
Still with me there? I've seen you spaced out before, but this is ridiculous.
What? I'm fine. I'm fine...
Let me guess. Castle Oblivion?
Like I said: the longer we take here, the longer you're gonna have to stay in the dark.
I know.

I told you this is going to be a long mission.

This door is boarded shut...

We have 20 of them already!

Look at the size of this dune.
It's cause we're next to the city gate.

Me?
Yes, you. How do you think it ended up like this?

of the city's location?

I mean, we are in the middle of the desert. Maybe this is normal.
Heh heh, normal? As if. Look at the city walls. They built them high to prevent exactly this from happening.

they need the sand for something?

Sand comes in handy... doesn't it?
Ha ha, right, if you're trying to build the world's biggest hourglass... Think. The sand's placement is too random to have been gathered on purpose.

Both choices converge here.

this was all some kind of prank?

You know, somebody's idea of a joke?
Some sense of humor you've got! Remind me never to make you mad.
Why?
...... Roxas... This is the work of a sandstorm. Multiple sandstorms, from the look of it.

the city was hit with a sandstorm?

That would explain the damage to the walls.
Attaboy, Roxas. You're right on the nose. This place got hit by a sandstorm. And not just once or twice, from the look of it.

I guess the high walls around the city weren't high enough. Now, how 'bout the lumber and rope? Roxas, give me a damage assessment for the city.

things could've been worse.

It's just a little wind and sand, right?
As if! Get your checked, Roxas.

the city was devastated.

This whole place is a wreck.
Yup, and that's not all.

All the building supplies lying around, and that scaffolding? That means they're repairing the city, which means it's serious.
"They," who? The citizens?
Who else? And it looks like a major effort. There may be somebody leading the operation.
You think so?
All right, Roxas. We've got what we came for. Let's RTC outta here.
Okay.

You're saying that we should RTC when the mission still isn't complete? Okay then. Let's go back.

What now?

:siren:Disney CharactersTM!!!:siren: :derp:

These must be the locals. Normally, I'd be able to just slip on by, but the way you stick out? Well.
(Thanks.)
We'd better take the long way around.

If we keep trying to go through the main door...

We have to use the upper entrance. After we do, the camera zooms in on the Disney CharactersTM

I'll be okay. Besides, the sandstorm's finally let up-now's our chance to patch up the city.
That's true, but still...
You'll run yourself ragged at this rate.
Jasmine, you don't need to worry-I'm fine. And since we don't know when the next storm will hit...
...we need to get everything running again before it does.
If only Genie were around...
I miss him, too, but this isn't a job for magic.
Agrabah's our city. We need to be the ones to fix it up.
Of course, you're right...
Now, I should get back to work.
Wait. I'll help, too.

They both leave. I'm not sure what Xigbar's planning to do if they didn't.

The question is, why him? He doesn't look like royalty.
Does he have to be?
It's not easy getting people to follow you, especially if it involves work.
It's the kind of thing you'd expect somebody in the palace to be doing. They already call the shots, right?
True.
But he definitely wasn't royalty... The girl next to him-now SHE was royalty.
...... So what now? Do we look around the palace?
No need. We have our answers, and we even got a peek at their leaders.

Looks like SE doesn't want to make explorable areas in the palace.

Good, then we can go home?
Why, Roxas? Did you leave the toaster plugged in?
You know why.
Heh heh. C'mon, let's RTC.

The mission might be complete, but we're not done yet! There's still more to explore.

Is this wood for scaffolding?

Did those two come through here?
This door's pretty solid, and the wall's high. The locals might be using the palace as a storm shelter.

Check out all this sand... I don't think we're going outside.
Another storm is brewing.

And that's the reason why we can't go outside.

Heh heh, glad I don't live here.
Plus they have to deal with all the Heartless.
Aha! You picked up on a juicy bit there, Roxas.
Why?
The storm and the Heartless... It's possible they're not completely unrelated.
You think there's a connection?
All right, I think that's all we're getting for one day. Let's RTC.

Yeah. Let's.

Xigbar kills it in one hit. We don't get the Hearts for killing this one. :sigh:

They don't go anywhere. They're gone. Only the hearts they held remain.
But the hearts go somewhere: Kingdom Hearts.
So what if a person without a heart is destroyed-a Nobody like you or me? Does some part of us remain?
As if. We're not even supposed to "be" in the first place. What's there to leave behind?
Then whoever it was at Castle Oblivion-
Gone.
And I'll never see them again?
Nope.

This is a bald-faced lie, as DDD revealed. At least the part that Roxas will never see them again is true (for now).

Oh...
You coming?
Huh? Oh...yeah.

Xigbar enters the portal. Roxas starts walking, but...

Music stops

:stare: Okay then. That happened.

Starting from last mission, we'll get a Slot Releaser for every mission we complete. So our panel woes are not going to be as big of a problem. Ability Unit can be linked to gears to unlock an ability. The ability unlocked depends on the weapon.

New reports:

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

quote:

This is a bald-faced lie, as DDD revealed. At least the part that Roxas will never see them again is true (for now).

Forward planning is for chumps, keeping marketable fan-favorites alive is what's keeping KH alive! As long as we PRETEND we planned everything in advance, nobody will notice any retconning at all!

(I'm so salty I could make my own sea-salt ice cream. I blame the KH3 trailers.)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Knowing in retrospect that Xigbar is lying his pants off (does he wear pants under that cloak? Don't answer.) does make a few of his scenes a bit more important later on, especially when he's attending meetings between Xenmas and Saix. just to smirk.

But for some reason, I like this Recon mission the most. It's the most ... complete, I want to say? All the others are either Tutorial land or just there to introduce the world.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Ephraim225 posted:

Forward planning is for chumps, keeping marketable fan-favorites alive is what's keeping KH alive! As long as we PRETEND we planned everything in advance, nobody will notice any retconning at all!

(I'm so salty I could make my own sea-salt ice cream. I blame the KH3 trailers.)

You'll need plenty of saltiness to make enough sea-salt ice cream for the trio. We're not even a quarter through the game and they already ate 16!

Seriously, though, I heard somewhere that Nomura's method of writing is to purposefully leave out plotholes so that they can be addressed by the next game which will leave out more plotholes, etc. Which kinda explains why there're so many questions. Most of them should've stayed dead.

berryjon posted:

But for some reason, I like this Recon mission the most. It's the most ... complete, I want to say? All the others are either Tutorial land or just there to introduce the world.

Good news! 4 out of 8 worlds in this game doesn't have any recon mission! And there's one recon mission later on that investigates a character instead of the world.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love how this is about one of the few times we see Braig/Xigbar lose his composure due to the fact that he can't just troll the only person around. :allears:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
DDD was a mistake. Dream Eaters as a whole were terrible and locking abilitites behind "moods" and poo poo like that was just...ugh. If I wanted pokemon, I would play pokermans.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Kemix posted:

Dream Eaters as a whole were terrible

They were the one good thing about DDD.

They just don't really fit in that well with KH.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Video: The Dark Margin

Oh, this place again. You know, Aqua should've just waited here since it looks like everybody who went into the Realm of Darkness went here at some point. It's like a tourist spot or something!

He looks a lot like you.
Who are you?

Yeah, I'm not bothering to hide who's talking here. The voices clearly show that it's Xemnas and Roxas.

I'm what's left. Or... maybe I'm all that ever was.
I meant your name.
My name is of no importance. What about you? Do you remember your true name?
My true name is...

That gives us insight on when this takes place. It doesn't make any sense, though. We've seen how bad Roxas was at speaking in Day 7, so it doesn't make sense that he's this articulate in Day 6. Also, I might be misremembering, but I think this cutscene is from KH2 which explains the inconsistencies.

The time has come...

Xemnas removed his hood, but the camera doesn't want to reveal him just yet.

Stranger danger! Stranger danger! :supaburn:

I'm pretty sure he says SORA here, but Roxas doesn't remember it. Just one more inconsistency to add to the pile, I guess.

Video stops here

Man, Roxas dreams about weird things.

Wait, so this takes place during Chain of Memories? But they said that one of the members have died, and when Vexen (the first victim) died, Sora has been messed up REALLY bad! And what does that have to do with Roxas? If Roxas was affected because he is Sora's Nobody, he should've fainted before he even heard about the news. Another inconsistency in the pile, I guess.

Will he wake from this?
I am told he will-provided she strips the hero of all memories.
Then much hinges on Castle Oblivion.
We needn't stop collecting hearts. Number XIV has gained power over the Keyblade, just as we intended. Xion can fill Roxas's shoes for the time being.
And the chamber? Have you found it?
No, sir. I would say progress is slow...if we had actually made any.

:cawg: Best Saix line right there.

Saix leaves.

We're skipping 3 weeks? Okay, why not.

New Music: Musique pour la tristesse de Xion

It was so beautiful. *places something near Roxas* Well, I'll visit you tomorrow, okay? Bye, Roxas...

Roxas twitches a little. It's barely noticable, especially if you're paying attention at the seashells. I actually just noticed it myself.

Music stops

It's just the video of Sora's pod closing. Notably, this video plays on the bottom screen instead of the top screen like most other videos.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 7, 2018

berryjon
May 30, 2011

What I want to know is what Xion was doing on Destiny Islands!

Also, the Time Skips in this game are the worst. They come out of nowhere, and have huge gaps in them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

berryjon posted:

Also, the Time Skips in this game are the worst. They come out of nowhere, and have huge gaps in them.

Maybe there were still some leftover Heartless sprouting up there, I'm not sure.

And yeah, this game is kind of weird timeline wise as it simultaneously takes place before, during and immediately after Chain of Memories. The majority of the game takes place during the latter section though.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Kemix posted:

DDD was a mistake. Dream Eaters as a whole were terrible and locking abilitites behind "moods" and poo poo like that was just...ugh. If I wanted pokemon, I would play pokermans.

Dream Eaters in gameplay are not that bad. I mean, sure, it's annoying, but that's how collectible monsters are. Storywise, though, it doesn't really make any sense. And I actually kinda hate the open worlds since there's nothing special in them. It just makes searching for chests harder and chasing after bosses more annoying. I'm still salty about dropping near the end of Holey Moley fight.

berryjon posted:

Saix gave her missions there? Probably?

At least the Time Skips mean that we don't actually have to go through all 358 days in this game. I mean, I like the gameplay (with few exceptions), but having 300ish missions is a bit much.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

This line is voiced. It's by Kairi. They probably reused the voice from KH1.

Roxas wakes up.

Seeing that there's absolutely no one here (and especially Saix), Roxas decides to go 'gently caress it' and go to his favorite place.

Twilight Station Tower: 10

Is there anyone surprised that Roxas pretty much immediately goes here after he woke up?

You were sleeping-a long, long time.
Saix told us not to get our hopes up. That you might not-
Well, you're awake now. That's what counts.
Ugh, I feel like a zombie. Guess there's some things a nap can't cure.

They laugh. Then Xion sits next to Roxas.

Here, I brought you this.

At least it's not sea-salt ice cream.

Hold it up to your ear.

Music stops

The scene fades to another scene with Sora and Kairi. The new screen is also on the bottom screen, just like the pod scene.

And just like that, the day ends. It's a short day few days 3 weeks.

New reports:

Just want to show that there's a report about Day 27 and Day 28 with nothing in them. I wonder why... (It's for the secret reports.)

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's amazing how, in an Organization run by the Nobody of the biggest rear end in a top hat in the universe, Saix still manages to achieve levels of assholery that are unmatched by anyone else.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Saix is (kinda) possessed by said biggest rear end in a top hat in the universe, so it's kind of a given. The thing that makes it more obvious is that his assholery isn't the trolling/amusing kind like Xigbar's.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

1234567890num posted:

Saix is (kinda) possessed by said biggest rear end in a top hat in the universe, so it's kind of a given. The thing that makes it more obvious is that his assholery isn't the trolling/amusing kind like Xigbar's.
That's something I wondered about. He's apparently possessed, but shows no signs of personality-wise it until Dream Drop Distance, with the secret ending of Coded making it seem like Xehanort only possessed Saïx after the events of Kingdom Hearts II. I mean Saïx was explicitly trying to take down Xemnas because he didn't trust him. That's weird behavior for someone that's been Norted.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Oh, right. He's just an rear end in a top hat then. That's probably why Xehanort choose him over the other apprentices (+Lea): to gather all the assholes. Another example: Larxene.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

We're back to the usual mission business. The Unity Badge for previous missions are freebies. Not anymore, though. And not all mission has it.

This is a neat mechanic that will double the clear bonuses (that I'm not showing). I'm going to be mostly ignoring this. I actually completely forgot about this mechanic before starting this LP.

If you're wondering why I haven't used the Ability Unit yet, it's because I forgot. :sweatdrop:

Not as much of a pain as in KH1, though.

I don't know how I'm gonna get out of... Hey! Totally! Roxas! Go get all the chests in Mission 14, man. I'll make it worth your while.

Mission 14, you say?

We already collected all of them!

Ooh! You got all the chests! Just between us guys, I hear some chests contain rare stuff. You should grab 'em, you know, if you care. Here you go, buddy, as promised. (Obtained: Shining Shard)
Hey, you hear what happened over at the other castle? I sure dodged a bullet there. And it's all thanks to being super lazy!

Oh, is it that time already?

During your beauty nap, we found out the whole C.O. team is toast.

It is! Chain of Memories has ended! Everyone is dead! :byewhore:
Note: Not everyone is actually dead. Actualy, no one is dead.

Did you ever find out what happened at Castle Oblivion?
We're looking into what befell them.
"Them"!? How many? You still don't know?

6 people, Roxas. Which means everyone. Xigbar just told you! (Note: Not actually 6 people Nobody)

What I know is that I don't owe you any explanations. Now get to work. You'll be on your own for a while. Wherever our other members are, they're certainly not here to help.

Here we see 2 different kind of assholery: Saix's refusal to divulge information to keep Roxas wondering in the dark with Xigbar's sudden revelation that should've shocked Roxas (obviously won't work, because Nobody doesn't have heart etc etc).

I prefer Xigbar's.

You can see how much each mission contributes to the bonus gauge by the yellow bar flashing on top of the screen. The first mission gives 3, the second gives 2, the third gives 4 and the fourth gives 3 too.

Like I said: I'm going to mostly ignore the bonus gauge, so I'm going through the missions in order.

Music: A Day in Agrabah
Music: Arabian Dream

This is terrible...
And that's only one of the things that's got me worried.
Why? What else is wrong?
The Heartless-they've been showing up all over Agrabah.
Heartless!?
Yeah. They always appear right before a sandstorm hits. I thought it was just a concidence during the last storm, but...
Oh no... I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

And they leave. This kind of thing will happen a lot throughout the game and it kind of reminds me of the scenes in The Room where people just come in, talk about something, then get out.

Anyway, this is our first solo mission. The Fire Plants are kind of a mixture between Dire Plants and Scarlet Tangos.

This chest contains Loaded Gear+ (2). The stat boost is lower than the one we currently have.

Anyway, like I said, Fire Plants are a mixture of 2 Heartless that are also conveniently here. They can't move (like Dire Plants) and shoot out fireballs that bounes around (like Scarlet Tangos).

The fireball attack also has a long charging time but can't be cancelled (without killing the Heartless).

A single Blizzard cast can kill them, but it has to attack twice. Blizzard homes in multiple straight lines and will pass through enemies, so after hitting a Heartless it can come back and attack that same Heartless.

Assuming that Blizzard doesn't hit the wall, of course. Oh, the chest contains a potion. Amusingly, the fireball bounces over Roxas. The one who shoot it is just around the corner.

In the Agrabah Gate, we found the Heartless warned by the briefing.

It creates a barrier to all other Heartless in that area. The barrier blocks all attacks, physical and magical.

So naturally we should kill it first. It has no attacks, but you have to deal with the 3 Fire Plants around.

A finisher will knock it out and separate it with its book, nullifying all the barriers. It's easier to kill this one first.

Magic is useless when it has its book, but when it's separated, it deals an absurd amount of damage. The amount here has to be added with one whole bar of HP. And that's just with 1 casting of Fire.

It will wake up and try to grab its book back, but you can knock the book away just like moving boxes with the Keyblade last mission. It dies quickly.

The Fire Plants die quickly after killing the Barrier Master. After we kill this one though, a cutscene plays.

It's actually kinda hard finding a nice shot of Abu.

After that they leave. I'm not going to show every time Disney CharactersTM leave. Just keep in mind that after every cutscene they leave unless stated otherwise.

People complained about Disney worlds not contributing much to the plot, but this is definitely the worst one. Oh, the treasure chests have Shining Shard and Ether respectively.

The interactions between Roxas and the Disney CharactersTM is very limited in this game. I guess it's because in KH2 the Disney CharactersTM didn't know about the cloaked people, so they want to minimalize the interactions here.

Anyway, the last treasure is in the same spot as last time, so we can't reach it. The rest of the Fire Plants are also unreachable since they're in the top of the west buildings in Agrabah Street that we can't reach since the box from last mission isn't here.

So yeah, we can't fully complete this mission right now. We'll come back later.

Twilight Station Tower: 11

What, no Xion or ice cream today?

New reports:

Not stated: The Barrier Masters are immune to magic when they have their books. That's kinda important, don't you think?

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If they wanted to minimalize interaction, why not have Roxas go to worlds Sora doesn't visit in KH2? :argh:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If they wanted to minimalize interaction, why not have Roxas go to worlds Sora doesn't visit in KH2? :argh:

Disney letting/not letting them have certain worlds? Wanting to keep Locals familiar? Days being a really poorly thought out game? It's the last one.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Story is not Days' strongest aspect.

You might notice from the last update that there's a mission about collecting emblems.

Which method do you guys think would be better?

A. Showing all emblems

B. Showing the map with the emblems (probably with a bit of A when there's something notable)

C. Both A and B

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

B. Emblems were lame.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

B for sure. Emblems are easily the worst mission type in the game.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Because Emblems are asinine missions, even with the best Mobility panels.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Today we're going to do the optional missions. We're not going to actually progress the story despite this being a day with a title.

Take this. It should serve you well.

This is basically just like doublecast but for levels instead of magic.

So we just jumped from level 5 to level 9! :woop: The Thunder Finish is from Chrono Gear+Ability Unit. It gives a chance of jolting enemies with the finisher. Useful but not really necessary.

These are the missions we're going to be doing. The bonus gauge will double all mission clear rewards.

It seems that Poison Plant has been demoted from being a miniboss.

That's a warm welcome. :downsrim:

We found the Poison Plant in the next area. I actually got the Headbutt attack this time.

Bulky Vendors always drop something besides Munny. That something is random, though, so you can't farm it.

Music: Tension Rising

The Tailbunker can charge forward. It's a very quick attack but it's useless when it starts so far up and nowhere near Roxas.

It can also charge at Roxas. This one is even quicker than before. Both of these do low damage, though. Like only 1/8th of Roxas' HP.

It can also do a back flip. You won't get hit as long as you're not in a middle of a combo when it does this. It also does low damage. To be fair, we just jumped up 4 levels.

It can land with a shockwave. Meh.

Finally, it can shoot fireballs. I actually have to dick around to show it since it dies very quickly with a Limit Break.

Blazing Shard and Panacea respectively. There's also Minute Bombs around if you want to collect Hearts.

Only the rewards are doubled. On to the next mission!

Music: Arabian Dream

Oh, it's THAT kind of mission.

There's no emblem in the Agrabah Gate. I guess it's so we can prepare ourselves.

Potion and Ether respectively. There's no Heartless in this area, so we can leisurely grab these.

The Agrabah Street, though, definitely can't be leisurely traveled. We have to collect those emblems. How many are there, you ask?

11 in this area. And there's a second area with 5 more. And you have to collect all of them with the green ring intact to complete this mission fully. Collect one without the green ring and you'll have to restart.

It's not actually that difficult, though. Just don't kill the Heartless unless there's no green ring anymore. The emblems are placed close to each other so it's easy to get them with the ring intact.

There's some annoying ones, though, like the one near the west bridge. This picture is me failing to get it.

And there's one in the air. Miss it, and you'll have to kill a Heartless since you won't be able to get back up in time. Oh, and there's only 1 Fire Plant up there. Did I mention that Heartless doesn't respawn after death?

Collecting all emblems in this area with rings intact gives us our Mission Complete. Still not full, though, since there's more in The Palace.

Potion and Potion. The second chest is kinda hidden by the ring. You can also barely see the emblem way up in the top right corner that requires another leap of faith.
There's 1 Fire Plant up there with another one just behind the area transition. Did I mention that the rings persist throughout the areas? At least the rings won't appear until we go to the areas with the emblems (Agrabah Street in this case), so we can explore the initial area (Agrabah Gate in this case) freely.

You see the shadow in the second picture? I didn't. It's a fireball that hits Roxas after that picture was taken.

Despite all my complaints about this, I actually enjoy this kind of missions. They're actually kinda fun and a break from the normal combat. It feels great when you collect them all by using your movement abilities, especially later when we get glide. Even searching for them isn't that hard since there's big green rings telling us where they are. You don't even have to bother with the rings if you just want to finish the mission normally.
Not in Neverland, though. gently caress emblem collecting in Neverland.

Oh, and since we've collected all emblems here, let's begin harvesting Hearts. :unsmigghh:

There's a "X2" showing up to show that the rewards have been doubled. Usually it blocks the item name which is why I didn't show it last time.

Music: Rowdy Rumble

Next mission is the Deserters mission again. They're in The Palace. There's some treasures here, but...I forgot to collect them before finishing the mission.

They spawn 8 at a time instead of 5 like last time. And there's 16 of them.

Blizzard works pretty well since it can hit multiple at once. Limit Break still works well. Air combos actually work extremely well since just 2 hits means that we reach the finisher more quickly.

It's over pretty quickly.

Ether.

Back in the Agrabah Street, we have ??? (Can't reach) and Potion. I'm starting to see why Demyx doesn't bother collecting these... :sigh:

And there's no ice cream or clock tower this update! :toot:

New reports:

The Tailbunker report just screams :effort: And we didn't actually see Roxas at the clock tower despite what's written in the diary.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 1, 2018

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Actually, the Neverland Emblem hunt is pretty easy once you realize it's laid out like a track. Just do some scouting ahead of time, and find the 'gap' where you can start and finish, and work from there.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

Actually, the Neverland Emblem hunt is pretty easy once you realize it's laid out like a track. Just do some scouting ahead of time, and find the 'gap' where you can start and finish, and work from there.

I figured this out. The problem with Neverland is that the Heartless are very persistent. Normally after you leave them alone they will despawn, but not with Neverland. This is great for other missions, but for emblem collecting this is annoying.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

We're skipping quite a lot. Oh, and guess who's coming back today.

Nothing, okay?
You gotta admit, the castle's a lot quieter. Half as loud, you might say. But I could get used to a smaller, more tightly knit group, how 'bout you?

Then they're really gone.
Gone with the wind-right, Xiggy? Whew, I really dodged a bullet there.

No, Xaldin is still here.

Lucky you. Heh heh, now you get to double your hours to help pick up the slack.
Blegh!
Roger that. Remind me to underachieve twice as hard from now on.

So now we have to collect 2 badges in every mission. :confuoot:

Challenges are now available. We'll do it later since enemies' level has been increased.

I can fit in a Doublecast, but I'll put Potions there for safety.

Save up the Challenge Sigils you earn and I'll reward you with freebies, kupo. I'm nice like that, kupo.

Redeem is now available in shops.

The locks means that you have to progress the story to obtain them. The first rewards are obviously useful. Haste increases Roxas' walking speed, which is obviously extremely useful.

Not that you weigh anything. What are you, around a buck five? Here, take this in case you pass out. (Obtained: Hi-Potion)
Buck up, kiddo.

How are you supposed to use an item when you passed out?

This kind of mission is one of my least favorite.

The game is nice enough to show what the blobs look like. It looks like the globs in Oogie Boogie manor from KH1.

The Heartless here are not a threat if you remember to jump when possessed. The Shadow Globs have absolutely no offense whatsoever. They just sit there and wait for you to kill them. It's boring.

Panacea here.

I mean, at least the emblem collecting has a time limit that can be recharged. This one is just a test of "Did you bring enough magic?" since some of them are unreachable without it.

I won't show the location of the globs since, well, there's so many and most of them are on the walls (with a few on the floor), so its kinda hard to draw the map. That and the Tram Commons is too big so the map doesn't fit the bottom screen.

Well, there's at least SOMETHING interesting here. Even if it's just a downgraded miniboss.

...Yeah. It's just running around looking for the globs. At least you can lock on to it so you don't have to look that hard for it.

Hey! The Thunder Finish ability is working! It dies as soon as it touches Roxas.

Just bring plenty of magic and you'll be fine. The Watchers can drop Ethers, so you can use that if you need to.

I really have nothing to say about these missions, so let's just RTC.

What's the matter? You look like you've seen a ghost.
Axel?
But...I thought you were gone! Castle Oblivion-the whole team was annihilated...

So I guess you can say that the whole team was sent to...oblivion? :downsrim:

Correction: the weaklings were annihilated.

Correction: the people Axel betrayed (and Lexaeus) were annihilated.

You had me worried.
Worried? Well, that's a neat trick, considering you haven't got a heart to feel with.
W-wait here. I'll go buy us some ice cream!

Twilight Station Tower: 12
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 18

I really can't picture mad Xemnas.

You haven't RTC'd yet?
Hmm? Nah.

So what have you been doing these past 3 weeks since the news?

Well, why come here?
Guess I needed some time to sort out my feelings.
Whatever, mister I-don't-have-a-heart.

*They both laugh*

Hey, your ice cream's melting. Eat up.
Thanks.
You know, I started inviting Xion up here while you were gone.

We saw you eating with Xion exactly once! The second one was just Xion coming without knowing that Roxas was there, so it doesn't count. Also, that second one doesn't have ice cream.

Xion? Really?
Yeah, I promised her the three of us could have ice cream together-you know, once you got back.
Me and her are friends you.

Guard Units are like Power Units, but for defense instead of attack. Not that useful.

New reports:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

But I thought everyone at Castle Oblivion died!
Nah, it was just everyone except me.
Hahahahaha!
Well, let's go have ice cream.

Man, Roxas must've really hated those guys.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

To be fair to Roxas, Axel and Xion are his only friends. He doesn't have the wherewithal to care about anyone else in more than a vague, abstract sense. Not that he got to know any of them before they got shipped off.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man, the writing in this game is pretty weak, on the whole. Which is a shame, because the first CoM game was definitely the best written KH game I've played, probably due to its lack of voice acting, and the Re:CoM localization killed a lot of that.

I liked Axel a whole lot better when his catchphrase was "commit it to memory" and he only said it like three times.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

berryjon posted:

To be fair to Roxas, Axel and Xion are his only friends. He doesn't have the wherewithal to care about anyone else in more than a vague, abstract sense. Not that he got to know any of them before they got shipped off.
I mean he interacted with the dead Castle Oblivion members more than Axel, or at least about as much, before they left. Granted, Marluxia and Larxene especially were extremely unpleasant.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Man, the writing in this game is pretty weak, on the whole. Which is a shame, because the first CoM game was definitely the best written KH game I've played, probably due to its lack of voice acting, and the Re:CoM localization killed a lot of that.

I liked Axel a whole lot better when his catchphrase was "commit it to memory" and he only said it like three times.
I'm honestly surprised how few people consider this the lowest point of the series. I mean Re:coded may be pointless, but it's not nearly as bad as this.

It's even worse in Dream Drop Distance where he drops like, three of his lovely catchphrases during the course of the game. And naturally each and every time it's just as forced as always. It's even worse worse in the Days movie, because thanks to all the skipping around we'll see him say "Got it memorized?" about five times in as many minutes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man, I really need to get back into DDD one of these days. I haven't even gotten to any of the KH plot nonsense, and it sounds like it's peak Nomura from the tidbits I've picked up. All I remember is barebones Disney plots, having to go through Traverse Town far too many times, and some boss that killed me like 10 times in a row.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

I mean he interacted with the dead Castle Oblivion members more than Axel, or at least about as much, before they left. Granted, Marluxia and Larxene especially were extremely unpleasant.

I've always kind of gotten the feeling that those two weren't exactly good people even before they lost their hearts so Xehanort didn't really have to do all that much to convince them (it's still kind of weird that he'd let two literal traitors back into his ranks in KH3 but I guess since they're partially him now it doesn't really matter that much).

But yeah, this is not a good game by any stretch but it's also still slightly more relevant to the plot than Coded was (though conversely I actually liked the gameplay in Coded a lot better by comparison).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Marluxia was probably the most polite to Roxas of the Castle Oblivion members, if a bit obsessed with the Keyblade.