Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I don't remember if it was in the movie or not, but

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

As far as I'm concerned, "Consider it my final selfish act." is the only canon Disney thing that happens in the KH universe, and everything else can safely be ignored.

Yes, even though that happened in an explicitly fictional version of events and this is supposedly the "real" Beast and Belle.

Seems to imply that it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In Chain of Memories, Maleficent has Belle captive and Belle's idea of how to keep Beast safe is to say cruel things to him to try and chase him away.

Beast's response is the quoted line.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think it was in the movie at all. I'm just referring to the B-team writing in a low-budget game having way more impact than anything we've gotten in any of the mainline Disney worlds, in spite of those drawing directly from the source material at times.

It's not canon in any sense of the word.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think it was in the movie at all. I'm just referring to the B-team writing in a low-budget game having way more impact than anything we've gotten in any of the mainline Disney worlds, in spite of those drawing directly from the source material at times.

It's not canon in any sense of the word.

Oh, I see. Yeah, that part is nice, but it's also useless (except for padding), just like most all of the Disney Worlds in CoM.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

We're skipping quite a bit again.

berryjon posted:

And here Saix is internally cheering that plans are coming together without him needing to knock some heads together.

This explains why Saix the rear end in a top hat would let them work together for 3 weeks.

Music: Sacred Moon

This scene is pretty much pointless. I don't know why they didn't just skip to the meeting.

New Music: Organization XIII

I don't know which is funnier: Xemnas intentionally hamming it up to avoid suspicion about his goals or Xemnas just talking normally (based on his standards).

See the countless hearts that have gathered? Hearts full of rage...hate...sadness...and bliss.
There, in the sky, hangs the promise of a new world.

Remember why we have organized-all the things we hope to achieve. The strength of the human heart is vast. Soon, though...we will have gained power over it!
Never again will it...have power over us.

4 of the Organization members aren't even seen up close in this scene. Sums up the main problem in this game's story.

Anyway, we can put both Triplecast and Dualcast now, so I don't think we'll be short on magic.

How about a little friendly competition? I've got 80 chests opened by now. If you can match that, I'll give yu a prize. You game?

We opened all the chests we can, so I think we're well past 80 chests.

How goes the treasure hunt? Hey, looks like you've hit 80! I guess you just won yourself this. (Obtained: Lightning Shard)
You play nice with Xion, now!

Immediately after Saix told Roxas to collect hearts he sends Roxas on a mission to kill a Pureblood Heartless. You know, the kind that doesn't release hearts?

Music: Waltz of the Diamond
Music: Dance of the Darling

Let's head out through this hall.

Just the usual Heartless. Xion is really helpful in the last few missions, using plenty of magic. She's the one who ignites the Sergeant. Much more useful than a certain other member who can use Fire.

The chest has a Frost Shard. We then go to The West Hall.

See that tiny yellow dot in Roxas' right? That's Lumiere.

It's that candelabra.
Yeah, the one we saw before.
If they don't...I shall be a table decoration forever! No-I will speak to Mademoiselle Belle. Perhaps she can talk some sense into him...
I don't get it. The candelabra doesn't want to be a candelabra?
So this Belle person lives here in the castle.
He said something about getting her and the master to forgive each other. I guess they've been arguing.
She'd have to be brave to stand up to a beast like that.

Or stupid. One of the two.

You're assuming Belle's human. So far nobody else seems to be.

Or that. One of the three. We already know which one.

Good point.
Well, we're not here to worry about her. Let's find the Heartless we're after.
Right.

Notice how there's nothing about Lumiere leaving?

Because he's right there. And if you get caught...

(Uh-oh!) *runs*
How strange... The light-it must be playing tricks on me... Heh heh.
Whew... He almost spotted us. We need to be more careful.
Roxas... I don't think we'll be able to sneak past him this time.
Yeah, maybe we should look for another route.
A castle this big must have a few secret nooks and crannies.

Which is well and good except for the fact that there's two chests on the other side of the hall. I guess the intention is to make the players wait until they have superglide to sneak past quickly, but by savestates persistence I managed to sneak past him anyway.

To sneak past him, you just have to pick a side based on the direction Lumiere's rotating. And then hope he doesn't change directions while you're sneaking past him.

The left chest has a Combo Tech while the right one has a Valor Gear (2). The Valor Gear has an extra 10 strength compared to our current weapon but 18 less magic, so I won't be using it. I guess it could be worse. They could just put two Potions here.

The actual way forward is thankfully not in Lumiere's range. So we go there and...

We're greeted by two of these guys. The chest contains a Heartless (any time I mentioned a chest with Heartless, it's always Cymbal Monkey). You actually have to kill all 3 of them before you can proceed because the game quietly made a barrier.

Potion, Potion, Frost Shard.

Just walk a little further...

Music: Destiny's Force

Let's take it out.

The Neoshadow has 2 attacks.

The first is a claw attack that can be blocked (unlike what I did here).

The second is the shockwave it creates after it reemerges. So basically it's just a more dangerous Shadow. Not too hard to deal with.

Yeah.
Ready to head back? We can stop

Graaaaaaugh!

Beast to the rescue! :swoon:

The Heartless do not beling here-not in my castle!

Beast then leaves. I'm actually more concerned about how he didn't notice Roxas or Xion.

Whoa...
So he has been fighting the Heartless.
Apparently.
Guess this castle plays by different rules than ours.
What do you mean?

Xion: Beside the talking and walking furnitures?

The beast is the master here, right?
Right.
And Xemnas is our master, right?
Right...?
But if Heartless showed up in our castle, we'd be the ones to get rid of them, not Xemnas.
Well, yeah. That's our job.
Exactly. I figured it worked like that everywhere. I thought that's what being master meant. After all, he's got servants here. He shouldn't have to fight.

That's...actually a very good point, Roxas.

I think we can all agree that most Organization members (except Xigbar, Saix, the traitors and probably Axel) are basically Xemnas' servants. And also that Xemnas is extremely lazy.

But you're right. If he's taking the Heartless on himself, he must have a good reason.
Like what?
Like...maybe he has something he wants to protect.
Hmm...
Let's call it a day, Roxas. Axel's probably waiting.
Yeah.

Lumiere is still there on the way back, but since he only patrols the way to the 2 chests he's not a problem anymore.

Music: At Dusk, I Will Think of You...

So far so good.
Roxas took today's Heartless out in no time flat.

Xion: I mean there's a Beast who took down 2 of them in one hit each, but details.

I guess the game isn't putting on Xion's hood for Axel anymore.

Well, great. Keep it up.

KH 358/2=179 Days of Falling Salty Diabetes
Twilight Station Tower: 17
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 30

Sure you do. We have to finish Kingdom Hearts.
We finally got our first glimpse of it today, remember?
Yeah, but what is it? "The heart of all hearts"?

I don't think anyone can answer that question. Not even Nomura.

It's where all the hearts you and I collect wind up.

That doesn't really answer the question, but thanks for trying.

Exactly. It's because of you two and the Keyblade that we're finally making some progress.

Axel: We're just sitting around listening to Xemnas' voice until you showed up and actually make some progress on it.

We might finally get hearts of our own.
"The strength of the human heart is vast," Xemnas said.
Yeah, but what do we need with it?
Are you crazy?
I just don't understand why having a heart is so important. Do you?
Kind of a strange time to bring it up...

Kingdom Hearts series in a nutshell, folks.

Roxas... We're fighting because we want to know what it's about.
Yeah... Yeah, I guess you're right.

Music: Crossing the Finish Line

Treasure Magnet is an ability that lets you attract HP and Munny orbs. It's not as useful as in KH2, but it's still nice to have.

New reports:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Poor Roxas. Trying to find answers in a series that only raises more questions.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

No opening cutscene this time.

I'm equipping Treasure Magnet because why not.

Show me how well you can perform in the Challenge for Mission 16. Once you've earned at least one Challenge Sigil in that mission, we'll talk.

I guess now is a good time to talk about how challenges work.

Each mission has different challenges. Some has you collect more Hearts, some are time attacks, some limits the hits you're allowed to take, some limits the jumps you're allowed to do, etc. This one's just do the mission as normal.
All enemies in challenge missions are buffed. In this one, it's just 4 levels, but it can reach up to a whopping 60 levels.

Music: A Day in Agrabah
Music: Arabian Dream

The buffed enemies means that the Fire Plants now die in 4 combos instead of 2.

Normally it would be very easy to complete the mission as normal, but considering that this is one of the missions where we couldn't (and still can't) fully complete it, we'll have to revisit this challenge later.

The sigils you're going to get is displayed on the right side of the top screen. Some missions starts with 0 sigils with more added while others starts with 3 sigils that decreases. Which means that yes, you can finish the mission but fail the challenge so bad you don't get any sigils.

We can only get 3 sigils from each challenge. If we finish the challenge with 1 sigil and then redo it with 3 sigils, you will only obtain 2 more.

And take this for your effort. (Obtained: Iron)
Made any progress in your training?

And that's Challenge. To be honest, it's really boring. I don't recommend bothering with this if you're playing it. I'm mostly going to just gloss over these later unless there's something interesting.

Saix is still obsessed with Kingdom Hearts. I don't think that will be gone anytime soon.

Oh look, he's actually giving us a mission that will help in making Kingdom Hearts this time! Hooray! :toot:

Potion and Hi-Potion. There's no Heartless here.

The next area, however, is littered with them. I have no idea why the game warns us about Fire Plants when there's a better enemy to warn us about in the next room.

By the way, the box is here this time.

Ether and Potion. Getting to the Ether chest requires using the box.

In the next area, there's these two. The Barrier Master is the one I was talking about. I guess Saix is too busy obsessing over Kingdom Hearts to do his job. :sigh:

We didn't see it before since Roxas was alone the first time we meet Barrier Master, but it makes the AI stupid. Here we see Xion trying to use Fire on a Large Armor with a barrier.

The Barrier Master flies around, which is actually kind of useful since the Large Armor moves slowly and thus won't bother you while you beat the Barrier Master up.

Potion and Blizzard Recipe (synthesis material).

We're not getting the Unity Badge now.

There's two Fire Plants that appear in Agrabah Street after completing the mission.

Defeating both of them fully completes the mission. This mission is filler, really. I'm pretty sure you can change this mission into an optional one and no one would notice.

Okay.

Twilight Station Tower: 18
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 33

I didn't know why the dialogue at the end of the mission is necessary.

Of course! Where'd they send you, Axel?
The place you guys hit yesterday.
You mean the castle with the talking candelabra?
That's the one. They needed me to do a little digging through the dust and cobwebs. How 'bout you?
Heart collection in Agrabah. Same as usual.

Which makes it boring, really. Other than the Large Armor/Barrier Master team up.

You're really getting the hang of working together, huh?
I don't know how much we can fool the other members, though.
Relax, we'll be fine.
Don't be too sure. They're not stupid.
Guess we'll just have to cross our fingers.

:drat:

My guess for the rest: Xemnas actively encourages the pairing while Xaldin just doesn't care.

Ouch! Roxas, that's not cool.
But look at him! All he does is play his sitar all the time.
I don't think you give him enough credit. He works just as hard as-

This is the best clock tower session so far. :allears:

You know, I've seen Demyx out in the field, rocking out on that sitar of his.
What does that accomplish?

Causing a timed minigame that automatically kills you if you fail?

Hey, for all you know, he's out there fighting Heartless and doing recon-just the same as you.
But I heard him say he wasn't cut out for combat. I guess everybody in the Organization is good at different things.
That's right. Everybody's unique.

And we're back to the usual routine. I really wish there were moments where they just joked around.

Even nobodies? Don't you need a heart to be unique?
Oh, I think we have other things that set us apart. Like our pasts.

That's one of the things that makes the Organization members special. Unlike lesser Nobodies, we remember who we were.

Axel: The other things that makes us special is that we have elemental powers. I still don't know how we got them or why we got what we got, but at least I can make fire now!

I don't.
Me neither.
Well...maybe that right there is what makes YOU unique.

Nice save.

What kind of person were you like before you were a Nobody?
Me? Oh, I dunno. Same guy, more or less.

Axel: Friends with an rear end in a top hat. Tried to leave but he won't let him go. You two know him well.

Lucky. I wish I could remember.
Trust me, you're not missing much. Who needs baggage, right?
But I can't remember anything-not even my first week as a Nobody.
Man, whatever. You have trouble remembering things from five seconds ago.
Oh, thanks!

Still smarter than Terra.

I'm like you, Roxas. I don't remember much from the beginning either.
You two do have a lot in common.
I wonder what kind of guy I was before...

An idiot. Nice guy who compulsively helps people, but an idiot nonetheless. Again, still smarter than Terra.

Music: Lazy Afternoons

The camera pans down to reveal...

...these two, who's staring at the door wondering how the hell are they going to open it.

This day has pointless mission, but hearing Roxas bashing Demyx is worth it.

New report:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 7, 2018

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

1234567890num posted:

We're not getting the Unity Badge now.

High Jump - Air Slide - a Keyblade with a long air combo like Levantine. You can just barely make it to that platform for the Sigil by launching into a full combo at the end of a basic Air Slide.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

High Jump - Air Slide - a Keyblade with a long air combo like Levantine. You can just barely make it to that platform for the Sigil by launching into a full combo at the end of a basic Air Slide.

I don't know which Gear gives Levantine (or if it's a typo since I didn't found it in the wiki), but we don't have High Jump yet so we can't get it anyway.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 29, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I did always wonder where they got these elemental powers from. I guess it was pretty convenient there weren't any repeating elements, aside from Xion. And also leave Demyx alone, he's trying his best dang it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Demyx deserves to be bullied.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

I don't know which Gear gives Levantine (or if it's a typo since I didn't found it in the wiki), but we don't have High Jump yet so we can't get it anyway.

Sorry. Nimble Gear 4 for Leviathan.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

This sounds promising.

Morning, Xion.
You ready for another day?

Too much positivity detected. Deploying rear end in a top hat.

Xion's not hooded here. It's like the game forgot about its twist or something.

What? Why?
Two major Heartless targets have surfaced in two separate worlds. Roxas, you take Beast's Castle. Xion, you go to Agrabah.
But how can- Never mind.
Whoa, you're gonna send Roxas to Beast's Castle? I dunno...

Axel to the rescue (again)!

You don't want to pit Roxas against that thing. Not by himself.

Spoiler: Roxas can totally handle the Heartless by himself.

If I send them both, who's going to handle the Heartless in Agrabah?
I will.
You?
Sure, I'm a big boy.
Except you can't collect hearts.
So what? I'll keep the Heartless out of trouble, then they can hit it another day.
Is that okay with you, Saix?
Fine. But this is the last day. Starting tomorrow, you both work solo.

We get another Ability Unit last mission, so we can unlock the second ability from Chrono Gear. It's Magic Bracer, which makes you invincible while casting magic. A better version of Leaf Bracer, essentially.

If you bring me a Moonstone, I'll trade you one.

We have 29 Moonstones but only 4 Aerial Techs, so this isn't a bad trade. Not that I synthesized much.

Good. Here, take what's yours. (Obtained: Aerial Tech)
We've already made our exchange. Surely you have work to be doing now.

Spoiler: There will be more mission where Roxas is paired with Xion.

Good, because that lie is so obvious. And if Saix actually believed that, he could've sent Axel along with Roxas and Xion would be screwed.

Believed what?
That reprehensible performance.
Uh-huh, well... I'd better get over to Agrabah.

Meanwhile Roxas and Xion are somehow unaware that no one is fooled by their ruse. Saix and Xigbar just goes along with it, Xaldin and Demyx doesn't care, and Xemnas is too lazy to do anything about it.

I feel like I'm missing someone. Oh well.

I don't know what I'm gonna do starting tomorrow.

What about my Keyblade? Can you control mine? *hands the Keyblade to Xion*
I guess...I can.
Then go ahead and use it for the day.
But Roxas-
Maybe it'll help you remember how to summon your own.
What are you gonna use?
Well...

I think I know where this is going...

Hey, you managed without the Keyblade. You think I'm not up to it? Just take it. It's fine.
Okay, if you're sure. Thanks, Roxas.

So...yeah. We're using a stick for this mission. Our physical attacks have been severely reduced. It's just like Hollow Bastion in KH 1 only instead of relying on Beast, we have to rely on Xion.

Unfortunately, Xion is nowhere near as badass as Beast. Remember the times I said in the last few missions about how Xion helped with her magic? That's not happening in this mission. She's only doing physical attacks which is pathetic. Her physical attack deals damage roughly equal to Roxas' currently, so she's not going to help. She took 5 full combos to defeat this Mega-Shadow.

Seeing that it took 5 full combos to take out half a bar, the game sees fit to make us face enemies with more than 2 bars of health. Great. :sigh:

Yes, it's enemies. Plural. The chest contains Ether.

The Keyblade abilities still work, though, as shown by the Thunder Finish causing Jolt here. At least this makes physical attacks not completely worthless.

Frost Shard here. Now let's go to the main entrance...

The clock...
He mentioned Belle.
Remember the last time we were here? The candelabra was talking about the same thing. The servants seem awfully interested in making sure Belle and their master get along.
You think it's strange?
Only that they seem to be in such a rush about it.
True...
Well, let's just focus on our target.
Okay.
We have to slip by here without being seen.

I'm beginning to hate this castle.

The corridor is very narrow and there's a badge on the left. And this is our fourth stealth mission! And if we get caught...

(Uh-oh!) *runs*
How curious... I was certain... Hmph! Pull yourself together, Cogsworth. The whole castle is enchanted, after all.
Whew... He almost spotted us. We need to be more careful.

Alright, I think I harped on this game enough. It's time for some positivity. Let's hope Saix won't ruin it.

Cogsworth turns slower than Lumiere, so he's MUCH easier to deal with. I actually got through him on the first try.

There's a Bulky Vendor here, which is a rare sight. It also has an Ordeal Blazon, which unlock the second challenge. The game tells you how many badges there is to get on the mission briefing. It's in the tree black dots next to the treasure chest.

The Heartless here have (marginally) less health than the previous ones, so that's 2 less combos to deal with.

We get to see Xion's limit. It's exactly the same as Roxas', but it's something.

Oh, and the two chests shown both have Ethers. In fact, all except one chest in this mission contains an Ether. It's basically the game's way of saying "Use magic" since people might not use it due to RPG hoarding syndrome. Fire works extremely well for the Snapper Dogs while Blizzard can be used to freeze the Sergeants.

The only way available is to the Ballroom, so let's go there.

It's not too bad if you're actually using magic. And I did complain that the mission was boring last time, so it's actually kinda nice to switch it up once in a while. Still don't appreciate the stealth, but that's the game's fault.

It's fine. No need to worry about me. How about you? Has using it jogged your memory at all?
Nothing yet... Sorry.
Don't be.
I'm sure it'll come back to you soon. Don't sweat it.
Yeah... Thanks, Roxas.

Music: Tension Rising

That's our Heartless! You ready, Xion?
Any time!

But first we have to collect the treasures.

All three has Ethers, like I said earlier.

The Bully Dog itself has a bark attack. It can do it either once or repeatedly depending on the RNG. I'm pretty sure the only improvement between this and Snapper Dogs is the multiple barks.

It also has a pounce attack, which I didn't get on the original run.

Just kill it with fire and let it burn while Xion tries to whittle its health away with the Keyblade.

If you're playing this, just remember to bring lots of magic, preferably Fire. I didn't need to do special preparation because of the Ethers here, but it won't hurt to be prepared.

Did it help? Do you remember how it works now?
I don't know... Let me give it another try.

You did it!

Xion jumping around in glee is just so :kimchi:

It's less so if you remember that she's glad because she won't be executed anymore.

I can't wait to see Axel's face when we tell him about this. C'mon!
Okay!

Hey hey! What are you grinning about?
How was your mission?
Oh, loads of fun... Would it kill the Heartless to hold still? I fell right on my butt chasing the stupid thing.

Actually, it would.

Nice. Didn't I hear you tell Saix you were a big boy?
Very funny. How'd your caper go?

I'd like to dedicate this Keyblade summoning to my good friends Roxas and Axel.
Pfft, me? I didn't do anything.
Sure you did. If you hadn't spoken up for us this morning, me and Roxas would've had to split up.
And then Xion might never have remembered how to use the Keyblade.
Thanks, Axel.
Ahem... How 'bout an ice cream, then?
Huh?

Even Xion is surprised by Axel's addiction. I'm surprised he isn't already eating it.

It's kinda hard to stay positive in the clock tower scenes, you guys.

Buy me one, and we'll call it even.
Heh, you got it. Wait here, I'll be right back!

*Xion runs off before the screen fades to black*

Twilight Station Tower: 19
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 36

What's gotten into you?
I just...want these days to last forever. Hanging out, the ice cream, the sunsets...

I don't. You guys did the exact same thing every day. Here's a thought: Why don't you guys try eating ice cream at somewhere else? Like Agrabah, for example? It would feel nice eating ice cream on a hot weather, and you might even be able to start an inter-world business! And if you do, you can do recon openly, gaining more information!

Just do something else together. Please.

Nothing lasts forever, man. Least of all for a bunch of Nobodies. But you know, we'll still have each other...even if things change and we can't do this anymore.
Yeah?
As long as we remember each other, we'll never be apart. Got it memorized?
Ha ha, wow, Axel. That sounded ridiculous.
What? I thought it was pretty deep.

Kingdom Hearts in a nutshell, folks.

Heh heh.
Ha ha ha!

Ordeal Blazon is just like a second Ordeal Badge. The Pack Extender is kind of like a Level Doubler. All backpack panels linked into it will increase the inventory by 4 instead of 2. We did get an Ether and Slot Releaser that are not shown here.

New reports:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Roxas would be amazing at CinemaSins.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

A bit late to tell us that, but this can be useful. Not that I use it much.

I don't use the Pack Extender now since it would mean that there's 2 wasted slots. And I'm too lazy to reorganize them right now.

Sure. Why not.

Thanks! Here, take this and we'll call it squaresies. (Obtained: Rune Tech)
I could reeeally use a break.

This is our first Rune Tech (yet another synthesis material).

You still opening all the chests you find? How 'bout the ones in Mission 29? I didn't, and Saix was asking about it. Maybe he got something in the works. Anyway, tell me if you find them all.

Yeah, we did open all the chests. I don't know how Axel would open them since he's not even there.

Nice, you got 'em all? You're an ace, man! I think Saix's got a special mission for you. Go see him for the details.

Axel sucks at giving rewards. :mad:

Spoiler: We're going to get a partner for one of the missions. And it's better than Axel.

The first mission is the boss, so we're going to do it last.

Yep. We're breaking jars. Because the Organization wants to rip off Phil's training.

Music: Rowdy Rumble

Basically just hit the pots with a combo finisher (what constitutes it is kinda iffy since the Chrono Gear's second hit is considered a finisher). Inside there might be items, but there can also be...

Samurai! Wait, what? I thought Roxas is the one who controls them.

Anyway, it has loads of health, so we're not going to bother with them.

Also because their attacks really hurt. This is just from 3 hits.

The jars thankfully doesn't respawn after dying, so this mission is easy. It would be insultingly easy if I'm not playing on Proud Mode. Since I am, this mission is hard but I'll take this game's pity.

2 more Samurais are in the jar at the other corner of the room.

And the last 2 are in front of the jars at the corridor. It would be hard if it wasn't for the dying trick.

The badge here is a freebie.

And Zip Slashers.

Finally! We're going on a mission not with Axel/Xion (and Xigbar that one time)!

Potion and ???. Agrabah Street is otherwise empty.

The first one is in Agrabah Gate, with Loudmouths. It flies away before doing one of three attacks:

It can pound the ground, creating shockwaves.

It can also shoot these crescent things which arcs towards your position when it shoots.

And finally, it can charge at you. There's only a small window to hurt it after it attacks, which makes this enemy more annoying to deal than most.

Iron and Potion. Remember the time when Genie magics the sandstorm away? Now that the sandstorm is gone, we can go outside the town. The gate in KH1 leads to Cave of Wonders, but since we go to it through the wall in this game, the gate leads to somewhere else. Let's see where it takes us.

...I hate sand.

Remember the ruins in KH2? The part with the Magic Carpet and Water Jaffar? The game has decided that the Magic Carpet makes travelling that place too convenient, thus it decides to force us to go through it on foot. Great.

The chest has Potion. But more importantly, can you KH2 players tell where this chest is located? No?

Can you tell where this Aerial Master is within the area? Can you tell I hate this area? I mean, there's nothing here! And this area is 3 times larger than the other areas in Agrabah!

It's like if in DDD you have to travel without Flowmotion. Even if this game has Flowmotion, you can't do much of it here since there's not much walls.

Oh, and there's Scarlet Tango here. Dies in 1 combo, not really worth mentioning. What worth mentioning is that this is a different Aerial Master than the one above. Can you tell that this is on the other side of the area?

Also worth mentioning is that Demyx helped more than Axel, despite Axel bashing Demyx before.

Potion, Shining Shard, Ether.

Going back, we see the Large Armor from the briefing with a bunch of Loudmouths.

The Loudmouths are...well...not a threat. There's plenty of them, but it's still better than the next mission.

The Zip Slasher is back in the Sandswept Ruins. It still kills us in 1 combo. Needless to say, I'm not bothering with it.

Twilight Station Tower: 20
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 39

Oh, good. I was wondering where the clock tower scene was last mission.

Yeah, everything's fine now.
That's good.
I owe it all to you and Axel.
Eat your ice cream before it melts.
Hah, look at Axel! He's bright red!
Shut up.
Heh heh heh.

The rewards are doubled now.

This is the mission unlocked by Axel. Thankfully there's no stealth this time.

Let's go to the Undercroft first.

There's 24 Icy Cubes down here with 6 spawning at a time. They attack by creating a shockwave or by tackling Roxas. Both deal small damage, but it WILL add up. Thankfully, like the Deserters, dead Heartless won't show up after Roxas died.

Slot Releaser and Potion. The Slot Releaser is actually kept as an item that fills up our backpack. We can discard it and if we do it will be gone after we go from this mission (either RTC or withdrawing). Obviously I'm not going to do that.

Going to the Secret Passage, there's a Massive Possessor. It will drain your health if it touches you, so you can't use physical attacks against it.

Defeating them with magic releases 4 Possessors each. They're not dangerous individually, but they can team up and kill Roxas very quickly. What I did is Dodge Roll to avoid their possession and use Blizzard, hoping that it won't hit the wall. Remember, Blizzard pierces through enemies but not walls.

Fun fact: If you walk away without defeating them, they will respawn back as Massive Possessor. Between them and the Icy Cubes earlier, I died 3 times this mission. And that number is going to increase. The treasure chest has an Ether.

Moving on, we have a Snowy Crystal. A fire will deplete most of its health until a single combo is enough to kill it. You want to do this because otherwise it will kill you. It attacks by creating shockwave which have a high chance to freeze Roxas and locks him into place. Which will make it even easier to hit him.

Next we have...a shadow. Okay, I guess.

These Snapper Dogs are probably higher level because they killed me. Repeatedly. Usually I was about to heal when the other barked me to death. Literally.

Or maybe I was just unlucky since this happens twice. If you seen my panels earlier, you might notice that I didn't bring any Potion, so I only have 1 from the chest earlier. Which I already used against the Massive Possessor.

I'm saying that this mission is tough.

Thanks, game. :reject: At least if you died, the Heartless doesn't respawn, but your magic, items and limit are back to what it was when you enter the room. So you can use your magic to kill one, die, and then reuse your magic to kill the other one.

The chest has a Hi-Potion, just when the Snapper Dogs are dead. And there's another badge we can't reach.

The rest of the enemies and chests are in The West Hall. The left has a Blizzard Recipe and the right has a Potion. I guess it's my own fault for not coming here first, but I'm actually surprised that I need them.

Twilight Station Tower: 21
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 42

Just a simple pan shot of those three eating sitting with ice cream in their hand.

The result are tripled this time, and I don't think we have any Bronze before, so that's nice. Even if it's just another synthesis item I might not ever use.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 7, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

We almost unlocked all slots in the first page. This is 2.5 more slots than when we fought Darkside. :toot:

Wow, Saix. You suck at identifying Heartless.

It's just like I said-the sandstorm moving across the desert up and vanished.
Now we can finally go outside the city again.
Well, that's wonderful! What a relief.
Hold on... We still need to watch out for the Heartless.
They've been sighted around Agrabah even after the storm cleared up. You'll have to be careful, Jasmine.
I'm gonna go make sure everything's okay.
All right. I want you to be safe too, Aladdin.

And then Jasmine and Aladdin disappears. Which is good because I don't need stealth in my boss mission. There's a badge at the other side of the area.

Potion. I'm not carrying any items so things like this can actually be useful against the boss. (They won't).

There's these two enemies spread across the town. They're just filler, really. I'm going to beat them up anyway to get <3.

Agrabah Street continues its trend of having things you can't reach, in this case both a badge and a treasure. The one you can reach has a Blizzard Recipe.

Potion and Hi-Potion. All of these are nothing you haven't seen before. The highlight for this mission is...

...not this Bulky Vendor. It's interesting, but it's not a giant Heartless.

Boss: Antlion

Going into Sandswept Ruins, the screen shakes.

New Music: Shrouding Dark Cloud

Something swims in the sand.

And there it is! Our main interest in this mission.

The Antlion starts off in the center of the room while we start off at the northwest end of the room. The huge room. Walking to it is the worst part of the fight. Unrelated to the fight, the chest has a Potion.

The Antlion starts off swimming around a building. You have to chase it down and hit it.

It's not hard because it will always circle the same building clockwise, so you can approach it from the other side.

After hitting it enough times, it will get up.

And send waves of sand pillar towards Roxas. Just move left or right to avoid it. It will do this 3 times, with the third being kinda tricky. If Roxas is near the Antlion, it will send the pillars around Roxas instead of toward him. So don't get near it.

Another reason not to go near it is because it will ram you after the third pillar wave. You can't block it, and there's no way for Roxas to avoid it except...

...by hiding behind a building. Conveniently the Antlion was circling a building, so you can use that building as a shield. The game is nice enough not to put this attack while no building is near. This will stun it, which means we can damage it. I prefer using Blizzard and letting it hit the Antlion while I combo it manually.

Once it's unstunned (by having the purple stars disappear), it will launch boxes that will explode after hitting the ground. Easy to avoid, but can be fatal if you don't since it can stunlock, as seen in the video.

When it have 3 bars of health left, it will move on to the next phase. It creates a tornado around itself.

Needless to say, it's a bad idea to go near it. It will try to go near you, so you need to block it when it does that. I never really got the timing down, but you somehow won't be hurt by the tornado if you do that.

It will also shoot out the bombboxes again, except this time it doesn't explode. It just plays music.

Well, not immediately, at least. It will explode if left after a while. When the box is red like this, that means it will explode soon.

Hitting the box towards the Antlion will eventually stun it. You need 3 boxes to do this, but it won't count if you did this while it's doing the other attack. The boxes will bounce if it hits one another, so you better hit it quickly.

The other attack includes the Antlion charging...

...and firing a laser. That explodes. You can avoid this attack by...going near the Antlion. Which is not what you should do in any other circumstances.

And that's the boss. I think it's a great boss. It's not too long to be annoying.

Defeated, the Antlion flails around...

...rises...

...and falls.

Good thing Roxas is alone. What a waste it must be if...say...Axel was the one to land the final hit.

Video stops here

That said, this area is still poo poo. The treasures and badges are in the 4 corners of the room. NW has the earlier Potion, NE has the Unity Badge, SE has a Hi-Potion, and SW has an Iron. Going back to Agrabah Gate...

Eerily quiet. There are definitely fewer Heartless out there than before.
You make that sound like a bad thing! Now we can finally relax a little.
Or at least focus on getting things rebuilt.

Yeah, Roxas just teleported. This is not even close to either entrance.

I'd say that's another case closed!

:stare: This surprise appearance even included a "Ta-da!" sound effect.

Just look at that face and tell me it's not creepy. :colbert:

Are you trying to give me a complex?
It's not my fault you pop out of nowhere!
This, from the guy who vanished into thin air the last time we met!
Well, anyway... I'm glad to see Al's doing all right. Now I can enjoy the rest of my vacation free of worries!
You're not going to say hello?
Nobody ever told you that three's a crowd? Well, it's time for the crowd to clear out!

Poor Carpet, not counted by Genie...

What's that guy's story, anyway? He said he used to be a genie in a lamp...
You really want to know?

Genie (and the sound effect) returns!

It's a long story, amigo? Long, long ago, before time was time...
Never mind, then.
Aww...

I love this bit. :allears:

Okay, then. This time, it's so long for real!

I'm pretty sure that's the end of the Agrabah storyline. The Disney worlds' stories in this game are short, but they're original and you could say that it's better than other handheld games (DDD comes to mind).

We're left high up, in this area we couldn't reach normally. Which is why I'm pretty sure Roxas teleported.

Twilight Station Tower: 22
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 45

This kind of scene, along with the Demyx bashing a while ago, helps to create the impression that these three are actually friends. Notably, these scenes are absent from the movie version.

And for our troubles we get a new magic and synthesis item. Good thing I did this last so the rewards are tripled.

New reports:

Would be useful if the group didn't consist of just these guys.

Apparently in Kingdom Hearts universe 'serve' means 'beats up'.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 7, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

What would you do if you woke up in the middle of the night and The Genie was staring into your window?

I always thought it was kind of weird, if neat, that Agrabah has this entire section not based off of anything from the movies given how rare that happens in Disney worlds. Also I remember that Antlion fucker being a major pain in the rear end, one of the few bosses I can remember off the top of my head in this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Antlion was cool and fun.

Which is more than I can say for certain other original Heartless in this game. Especially one in particular. :argh:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

TheLoneStar posted:

What would you do if you woke up in the middle of the night and The Genie was staring into your window?

I always thought it was kind of weird, if neat, that Agrabah has this entire section not based off of anything from the movies given how rare that happens in Disney worlds. Also I remember that Antlion fucker being a major pain in the rear end, one of the few bosses I can remember off the top of my head in this game.

Hide under a blanket? I mean, he's a genie. What else can you do?

The Antlion isn't that bad. At its swimming phase it isn't swimming away from you. It's not hard to figure out what to do against him (except blocking when he come towards you with the tornado) and you don't actually have to traverse the huge desert area to fight him. In other words:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Antlion was cool and fun.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

This should be good.

*Saix enters*

Tell me what Xion has been doing.
How should I know? I'm not spying on her.
......? But the two of you are close.
So what, now I've gotta rat on my friends to you? Get out of my room, man.
You and Xion will be executing your next mission together.
Yes, sir, thank you, sir. You paid me a personal visit just to tell me that?

We, or you?
That castle hasn't given up all its secrets. And there's one in particular Lord Xemnas is especially interested in.
You mean the chamber.
We turned that place inside out. If it's there, we're not gonna find it by just looking.
Hmm...
Then let me give you another incentive.

This is normally a revelation, but you should've heard it within the 8 years since this game came out or 5 years since the movie came out. That makes me feel old :corsair:.

Oh, and I'm not bothering with Namine's proper spelling the same way I don't bother with Saix's.

Huh?
Two of your favorite people.
Still think another visit is a waste of time?
Hmph... Whatever.
You're the one who wants me to go. Don't try and dress it up as a favor.
Hmph.
Let me guess... That chamber will tell you everything you don't know about Xemnas's true agenda. Is that the idea?
The Chamber of Repose, and its antipode, the Chamber of Waking...
Xemnas isn't telling us something. And the missing chamber, the Chamber of Waking-it holds all the answers.
We need those answers to gain the upper hand-for our own reasons.
Hmm... Look, I knew Vexen and Zexion would be obstacles.

And that's why Axel killed Zexion. Revealed 2 games after the actual event. Xemnas' actual plan is revealed 3 games after this.

When have I ever complained about the dirty work?
I cleared the way to the top for you. Just do me a favor and don't trip on the way up.
A solo mission in Castle Oblivion... Expect the orders soon.

*Saix leaves*

Namine...and Xion?

Team Axel?
Yeah, he and Xion teamed up for the day. Which means they get to work half as hard. Which is so totally unfair.
Today you get to work with me, tiger.
Don't call me "tiger."
Hah! You like "kiddo" better? Or maybe you're mad because Poppet got the best nickname?
Ugh, never mind.

Xigbar is great :allears:.

Today we get to go explore a new world together. Pack up, tiger, and let's get moving.

Hooray! We finally get another world! :dance:

We have 39 of this.

Oh, here! Take this, man. I owe you at least that much. (Obtained: Power Tech)
How come I don't get a nickname...?

Demyx continues to give us our first synthesis item of its kind.

Additional goods can be had at the shop now. I've also authorized you to synthesize your own weapon panels-a skill I suggest you acquire.

Our rank has been upgraded from Novice to Rookie. This unlocks Xion as a playable character in Mission Mode, not that it matters right now.

Plus, it earns you the right to synthesize weapon panels, kupo! You should try it, kupo. Synthesized weapon panels are stronger than the ones you buy or earn as rewards, kupo.

More importantly, new items are sold in shops! :toot:

I bought the Slot Releaser, Level Up and Backpack for obvious reasons.

:stare: It's immediately bought. And the Range Extender too, I guess.

All weapon synthesis needs 3 Gear Component A, which we only have 3 of because we did the Antlion mission last. And all of them requires 3 of them. I'm sticking with Chrono Gear for reason that will be obvious later.

I managed to fit every ability and levels, but I can't fit any items. Those empty slots hurts me.

I'm sticking with Soldier Ring for Combo Boost.

Anyway, our mission. It's a recon mission with Xigbar. Let's just hope Roxas doesn't bail on Xigbar this time.

New Music: Olympus Coliseum

What are we investigating?
We're investigating what's to investigate. Maybe there's new recruits around.
New recruits? What kind of people does the Organization look for?

You should know this already, since you've been with them for almost 4 months.

Nobodies.
You mean...with a capital N.
Bingo. You know somebody turns into a Heartless if the darkness gets their heart, right? Well, say this person's heart is strong-real strong. Sometimes, you wind up with a sort of byproduct: a Nobody. Take the strongest of those-the real cream of the crop-stick 'em in a room, and you've got us: the Organization.

I'm still waiting for Scar's Nobody.

I didn't know everybody was such an elite...

That's why you shouldn't bash on Demyx. He's an elite, even if he's lazy.

Heh heh... Elite? As if.
You and Xion are the real exceptional ones.
What? Why?

New Music: Go for It!

Wuh-oh. Looks like conversation hour's over. Time to tidy up, Roxas.

The Flare Note dies instantly by Blizzard. Its attacks is the same as Loudmouth, which is healing and shooting out Fire instead of Aero.

The other Heartless, Li'l Cannon, attacks by shooting cannons. There's a target shown, but avoiding them is kinda hard since the timing is tight. They're immune to Fire, but not to Aero, which is why I swapped Fire with Aero.

Music: Olympus Coliseum

Huh?

C'mon, hop to it. You wanna be a hero, and that takes time.
What? But I'm-
Here to train, I know! Save you breath, kid. You're gonna need it.
By the way, nice moves back there. Here told me you had potential.
Gotta hand it to him, he's got an eye for talent! I don't coach just anybody, ya know.
Hope you came ready to sweat, kid!
Um, no!? I think you've got the wrong guy. Xigbar, tell him-

Xigbar! :argh:

Your fighting's better than your standup routine, kid. Stick to what you know. You got a name?
Um, Roxas.
Okay, Roxas. I gotta go double check the training equipment.
Meet me inside the Coliseum when you're ready-and don't take all day!
Wow, Roxas. Moonlighting as a wannabe hero now?

To hide, duh! In case you forgot, the Organization runs a stealth operation.
Well, yeah, but...
Still, this worked out pretty well, wouldn't you say?
How do you figure that?
You don't have to sneak around now that you're one of them. I'm sure you'll be the best wannabe hero they've ever had.

You don't have to sneak around if you don't insist on wearing that black coat.

Wannabe? What's that supposed to mean?
Heh, what indeed?

Xigbar, don't you dare! :argh:

As if, I jsut don't want to get in the way of your valuable training. I care about your future, Roxas.

*Xigbar bails on us.* :sigh:

Ugh, fine. I'll handle this myself. I should do some recon here first, before heading into the Coliseum.

You know what a recon mission means: a long update.

If we talk to Phil before investigating...

All right, let's get started. You ready?
Uhh... (Hmm, I'm not finished with my recon.)
What? You forget to tie your sandals? Get a move on! Every second counts. I'll be waitin' for ya right here.

Roxas is wearing a boot, not sandals. :colbert:

There are a bunch of names on the board with numbers next to them-some kind of leaderboard?

Columns around the door... Maybe this is some kind of temple? They use lightning bolts as a symbol.

What are all these leaderboards for?

It looks like a leaderboard... First place: "Sora." Hunh.

Looks like Sora winning Pegasus Cup is common. :unsmith:

It's a leaderboard... First place: "Hercules." Hmm...

Sadly, Sora winning Hercules Cup isn't. :smith:

On an unrelated note, the chest has a Lightning Shard.

The statues, the architecture... Everything about this place is amazing.

I have to jump to touch this statue's knees. Good thing no real warriors are this tall!

Are those- Yeah, those are clouds right outside the window! Where is this place!?

That's all to examine Outside the Coliseum. Let's head inside.

Look at all these trophies... This one here definitely outshines them all. I saw these lightning bolt symbols on the doors outside...

This isn't actually a thing to examine, it's just a place to check your score. Beginner Course: 0p is the only thing written there. Yes, we're going to be training multiple times.

This trophy looks different from the others.

This trophy is shaped like a shield.

There's a trophy sitting here... This one's kind of elaborate... Are those horns?

some kind of temple.

It's certainly built like one. But hold on... What are all the trophies for, then? God of the Year? No, they hold some kind of sporting event here. The winners were listed on the boards outside.

some kind of arena.

That would explain all the trophies. They look like something you'd win in a sporting event. Plus, those boards outside... Those must be the winners.

Both choices converge here.

Who was the guy who came in first again?

Hercules?

Yeah, one of the boards definitely said, "Hercules." I guess he's the toughest guy in town. Wonder what he's like...

Soracles?

Sora...cles? Hmm, I'd better double-check. Saix will get mad if I tell him the wrong name.

Anyway, it seems kind of quiet for an arena. I don't hear any cheering. The competition must be over for now. So much for sneaking into the stands... If I wanna do anymore recon, I'll have to pretend I'm here to train. ...... Well, it couldn't hurt to try... Could it?

The chest has a Gear Component A. Obviously, there's going to be more kinds of Gear Component. Now that we're done, let's talk to Phil.

Music: Go for It!

Yeah, I wasn't kidding when I said the Organization ripped off Phil's training.

You hit the barrel to launch them. The hit that will launch them is the same as the hit that will destroy the jar, which is the second hit for Chrono Gear. This is why I used it, since most of the others took 3 hits to launch the barrels. You can see them on the minimap. You have 1 minute to get as many points as possible.

The red barrel will explode when hit by other barrels. The explosion is normally far enough that Roxas isn't caught in the blast, so I don't know if it will damage him or not.

Destroyed barrel will give out points. No Nobodies are going to appear from them.

Destroying a barrel starts a chain, and continuing that chain will give increasing points.

I'm pretty sure the points will be automatically collected so you don't actually need Treasure Magnet for this. Still, I equipped it just to be safe.

Music: Olympus Coliseum

Next time, I want you to go for 200 points.

200 points, huh? No thanks. Not worth it.

And that's it. Roxas just put his hand on his head like any embarrassed anime male protagonist. Like I said, not worth it, so pretend I didn't spend 4 minutes to get this. If you get low points...

0 points... Well, we'll just hope you got a steep learning curve. Next time, go for 100 points minimum!

Anyway, we don't want to do the training anymore.

Not too bad for your first time in the Coliseum.
Keep up this pace, and you'll do just fine, kid!
Which is good, because we need all the help we can get...
Help with what? Why are you looking for new people to train here, anyway?
I guess you could say we're understaffed.
So there aren't any strong people around here?
What are you, crazy!? We got ourselves a bona fide hero!
The champ in these parts is my prize student. Maybe you've seen him in the Coliseum before?

Do you even have any other student? Beside Sora and Roxas, I mean.

What does he do here?
Wait, are you sayin' you signed up for hero training without even knowing what the Games are!?
Oy... Lemme break it down easy for ya, kid. There's a hero and a ginormous monster...
They fight, people come to watch, and that is what this whole place is for!
At least until those Heartless started showin' up in droves.
With back-toback matches in the Games and taking out the Heartless, out champ's been workin' way too much.

Are you sure he isn't tired because he's dealing with Meg?

So the Games are like a tournament? Do I get to enter?
You? In the Games!? Ahh ha ha ha!
What's so funny about that?
I got two words for you, kid.

Hey! I beat up Heartless just fine! :argh:

I saw stands all around that arena. People must come to watch. I wonder if they'd let me compete if I kept up with the training. Either way, I think I can RTC now. I've had a pretty good look around.

Obviously we're not done yet. It's time to examine more things the same things as before.

These must be trophies for the Games.

Are these actual trophies? Do the winners not get to take them home?

That's all in the Coliseum Vestibule, so let's go outside.

Outside, Roxas and Hercules walk past each other.

It's about time, Herc. That new trainee you scouted showed up already.
Really? Wow. He said it would take him awhile to get here. He must've made record time!
He probably just couldn't wait to start training with yours truly. Not that I can blame him.
The kid's got guts, I'll give him that. Wait'll you hear this...

If we try to go back inside, neither Phil nor Hercules will be inside. We can't go to The Coliseum itself, so they're probably there.

Let me just double check... Okay, first place was Hercules. Got it.

You know, if you memorize the Pegasus Cup's winner instead of Hercules Cup's, it'll save you from wondering who the heck Sora is later in the game.

Now I know why they have these big warrior statues out front. What's with the swords, though? Do you have to use a sword in the Games?

And if people are competing to see who's strongest, then Xigbar was right. We might be able to use some of them. Wonder how long it'll be before the next one... We'll, I'm sure I'll be back. Especially with Heartless on the loose. I should RTC. I don't want Xigbar to think I'm having too much fun here.

So we RTC.

Twilight Station Tower: 23
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 47

Roxas must be working late.
Hope Xigbar isn't giving him too hard a time.
Yeah...
Hey, Axel.
Hmm?
You know how you were talking the other day about how we all have pasts?
When I sit here with you guys, it's weird...
I get the strangest feeling I used to watch the sun set with somebody else. Or when I'm by the sea...

When I look at the water, and hear the waves lapping against the shore...
...it's almost like I can hear another voice.
So...you mean you remembered something?
No... It's not quite like that. Well, I dunno. Maybe these ARE memories... It just seems weird that they're mine.
Hey, don't ask me.
But you have memories, don't you?
Yeah. Not that they've ever done me any good.
I guess I'm more like Roxas. Neither one of us remembers much.
I wonder if he and I had this much in common before we were Nobodies.

Oh, look. It's Thunder. Yay.

New Reports:

Question for readers: What will Roxas do in his day off?

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eat pasta. :v:

How can Sora winning the Hercules Cup not be canon, though? That would mean he never sealed the Keyhole.

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Eat pasta. :v:

How can Sora winning the Hercules Cup not be canon, though? That would mean he never sealed the Keyhole.

Duh, it's a yearly event! Herc wins when Sora is in the pod.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

But what about the Pegasus Cup?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Not enough contestants this year for some reason?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I choose to believe that since the Time Trial for Pegasus cup is bullshit (those Black Fungus :argh:), Hercules didn't bother reclaiming his spot while Sora is sleeping.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

That's a first.

"Vacation"? What's that?

Oh, look. An area we actually visited in KH2.

I've never had a vacation before.
Is that right?
What's my job during vacation?
What's your-Roxas, you're really missing the point.
It's not my fault I've never had one. I don't know what to do.
Do what you like.
But...I don't know what I like.
What are you gonna do, Axel?
Me? Sleep. And once I'm done with that, roll over and sleep some more.
Don't you spend enough time in bed?
You kidding? I'd nap six times a day if they'd let me.
All right, snooze-land is calling. Enjoy your time off!

*Axel leaves. Roxas then searches for Xion*

Hey, Roxas, good morning.
Did you see the notice posted?
Yeah.
What are we supposed to do with a day off?
Well...I was thinking I'd practice.
Practice?
Yeah, I want to get really good at using the Keyblade. Why don't you join me?

Wow. You're boring.

Nah. I'll pass.
Really? Okay, then. Come find me if you change your mind.

*Xion leaves. Roxas then wanders around*

Hmm... What do I WANT to do? ...... Ice cream.

Of course.

Keep it up!
Augh! No more! Huff, huff... I'm done.

Ugh, now I'm all tired.

Oh no! They noticed us! :derp:

Hey, I know you.

Hey.
On your own today? Oh, did you find your friend?
Huh? Oh, yeah.

Yeah, I bumped into him a little while back.
Oh. Well, it's nice to meet you. I'm Olette.
Nice to...meet you, too.
And I'm Pence. But you already know that.

Take a guess at what we're going to do.

Watching Hayner here practice his Grandstander act.
Grandstander?
Yeah, you keep hitting a ball in the air and try to keep it from touching the ground.

Remember that minigame in KH2? One of the choice for getting money that people usually ignore in favor of delivering mail?

Hayner's one of the best in town.

Bothering? I'm not- Sheesh, I was just passing by.
Uh-huh. Well, keep passing by then. We're busy here.

Hayner's a dick.

Hey! Hayner don't be rude! There's no need to be mean.
Sorry about that. I'm sure he didn't mean to offend you. He's just-
Hey-you try it. Let's see your juggling act.
What will that prove?
It's not gonna kill him.
Here.

Music: Sinister Sundown

Yeah. Bet you don't expect one of the mission to be a Grandstander. Especially since it's cut from the movie version.

The evil thing about this mission is the Unity Badge in the corner.

Video: Grandstander

The grandstander itself is simple. Just hit the ball and don't let it hit the ground.

Just keep hitting the ball. The difference with KH 2 is that the total for 5 attempts here are totalled instead of just picking the highest.

Just watch the video if you want to watch Roxas hitting a ball for a minute.

Video stops here

Yeah, you'd give Hayner a run for his money!

:smuggo:

If we get a low score...

Ha ha, don't worry about it. It was your first time.
And it really IS hard.

But I'm good at hitting the ball so that didn't happen.

Hrm...
Try it again, man. C'mon, just one more time.

No thanks.

I guess you're all right. We're cool, man.

You done being a dick?

Uh...thanks?
Sorry for railing on you before.
Hayner was only acting all grumpy because Seifer beat his record.
Hey! That's enough from the peanut gallery!
Hee hee...
That includes you!
Heh heh.
Oh great, now even the new guy is laughing at me.
So, you said you were passing by. Does that mean you have to head off soon? Because if not-
No, I do. I should go.
All right. Sorry for holding you up. We should get going too.
Yeah. Anyway, we'll see you later.
Bye for now! Hope we can practice Grandstander again soon!

So the main thing to note here is that Hayner, Pence and Olette all have met Roxas in the real world, not just the data world. Normally, this would be important, but it actually isn't. The trio never saw their photo with Roxas in KH2 and even if they did they would've just accepted it, just as how they accept the existence of the data world very quickly.

Huff, huff... Why...do we have to play games...that involve running?
You're not getting away! After him!

You didn't think we'll be getting through this day without ice cream, right?

Fancy meeting you here.

Whew, I slept like a log.

*Axel sits down, ice cream magically appears in his hand*

What's going on down there? Are the kids here on summer vacation? ...Nah, can't be. It's too early.

Is there even a concept of days in worlds without the sun cycle?

Summer vacation? What's that?
A dream come true, that's what-a whole month off.

Japanese summer holidays lasts around 40 days, so I guess close enough to a month.

A month!?
How do they hang on to their sanity? I can't even figure out how to fill a day.

This reminds me of that Spongebob episode where he's (forcefully) given a vacation and he keeps coming back to work.

I can't believe I just compared Roxas with Spongebob.

Well, they do get a little help. Their teachers dish out plenty of homework.
Trust me, it's over before you can blink.
Hmm... I could deal with a week, maybe.
Most kids spend summer vacation just goofing off with their friends. They save the homework till the end and then help each other finish it.
That sounds fun, I guess.
Yeah, I hadn't really thought about it much since becoming a Nobody. So how'd you spend the day?
Hey, guys. How did I know you'd be here?

Hitting a ball and because they literally never hang out anywhere else.

*Xion sits down, ice cream also magically appears in her hand*

Twilight Station Tower: 24
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 50

So, did you end up going anywhere?
No-why? Did you guys go somewhere without me?
Axel went somewhere. He went to sleep.
Ha ha ha! What kind of vacation is that?

Better than using it just for training. :colbert:

Hey, unlike you two lazybones, I work myself pretty hard!
Hah, maybe you're just out of shape!

*They all laugh*

Tomorrow, it's back to work.
Yeah.
Hope we get another vacation soon.

Huh? Why not?
They're sending me out on recon for a few days.
Where?
Can't tell.
What do you mean, "can't tell"?
It's classified.
But I thought we were friends.
Hey, I'm not about to tell you ALL my dark secrets. Got it memorized? I bet you keep a thing or two from me.
I don't have any dark secrets.
Ha ha, relax, would ya? I'm kidding. I just gotta keep my mouth shut about it, or else Saix will get on my case.

That's something we can all agree on.

Try not to bungle everything while I'm gone.
Now, why would we do that?
Well, considering your track record...
Hey! Don't make me come over there!

For once, there's a scene after the clock tower one.

You're letting yourself get too attached to them.
Yes, sir, whatever you say.
You've changed.

This not being an official mission, we don't get a Slot Releaser.

New report:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

1234567890num posted:

You've changed.

Or maybe you're just an rear end in a top hat. :argh:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

1234567890num posted:

Wow. You're boring.
You figured out innermost secret of Xion's character it seems.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Challenge Update here. I'll be honest; it's very hard to make this interesting.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 8, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

No story scene this time.

The only new thing is the Haste we got from completing the Challenges. The Casual Gear is funny, but its stats are worthless.

A smart player knows how to adapt his game to suit the house rules. Equip a weapon with two or more units intalled init, then come see me.

See above panel configuration.

I see you've got a weapon with two or more units installed. Good. I'll get you clearance for a suitable game-a new mission. Ask Saix for the details.
Axel's whereabouts? I have no clue.

Luxord! :argh:

It lets the Organization keep tabs on how hard you're working. How about I take a little peek? Come tell me when you've filled it completely from Day 97 to 116.

We're done with that. After this set, the game skips to Day 117.

Looks like you filled the gauge for Days 97 to 116, slugger. Nice going. Here's a little something from me to you. (Obtained: Gust Shard)
Keep it up, kiddo.

See, Luxord, that's how you give a reward.

Luxord's :airquote:gift:airquote: is the fourth mission, the one with the Morning Star a.k.a. the Heartless that kills Level 1 CM runners in Tifa's section. But we're not going to do that today.

We're going on a recon mission! And it's our first mission with Xaldin! :dance:

The castle's master?
You've seen him, haven't you? Every inch a monster.
So you've done a little exploring here on your own, then.
Yes... I suspect it was some kind of spell that left him in that state.
A spell?
The data we've collected suggests he was human, originally. The exact sequence of events is unclear, but it was a spell that forced him to live as that...thing.
Wow... That can't be fun.
We're here to analyze, not symphatize. Let's begin hunting for clues.
All right.
We'll leave the beast's chambers for later. Let's search the rest of the castle first.
If you say so.

Shh... I hear voices. Somebody's in here.
...Master won't even...to Belle...
"Master"? Then it must be the servants. Come away, lest you draw any attention.
Right.

Oh look, I get to use Honest John's portrait again.

Mega-Shadows are common enemies here. This proves that Lexaeus was just being a dick when he punched Roxas months ago. The chest has Air Slide LV+.

Scratch marks...
Work of the beast's claws, no doubt. He's not what you'd call a tidy fighter. It looks as though he was fighting a losing battle.

The chest has a Hi-Potion.

Let's see what's behind Door Number Two...
Roxas! We have to keep a low profile, you fool. No more throwing doors open. I won't have it.

Aww... :smith:

After this, we investigate the Courtyard.

Tracks... The beast's footprints.
He must have battled Heartless here.
Why would he want to fight them, though? What's in it for him?
If I had the answers, I wouldn't be here listening to your questions.

Do you know that Neoshadows' shockwave can inflict Blind? It's true! That chest is the same as the one in the previous picture and it has an Elixir Recipe. Like all Recipe items, it's used for synthesis.

Bulky Vendors lately have been able to consistently escape from me :negative:

This way leads out to some kind of bridge.
The only route into the castle... Remember that, Roxas. If a giant Heartless were to attack, it would be through here.
Okay... But that's kind of a big if.

I wish we have a 'Foreshadowing!' smiley.

Ether chest.

Look at the way the stones have been kicked up. Another sign the beast fought the Heartless?
And also a sign that his power far exceeds anything I anticipated... Perfect.

For some reason I picture Xaldin saying this like Snidely Whiplash. Anyway, we go toward the Entrance Hall Upper Level.

There's these assholes and these somewhat-assholes.

There's nothing in to examine there, so we move on to the Ballroom. The Entrance Level Upper Hall has a door toward the Ballroom's balcony, which I don't think you can get to in KH2.

It's pretty here.
How would you compare it to the rest of the castle?
Hmm... It's brighter, I guess. Most of the castle's pretty dark.
This room will be too, in time. Dark with the beast's despair.

When Xaldin isn't talking about Beast like Snidely Whiplash, he's just spouting off purple proses.

Down in the lower level, there's 3 of these somewhat-assholes with their loads of HP. Yes, I'm sore about dying to them repeatedly when collecting Hearts.

I only mentioned this because we get to see Xaldin's limit here.

What do they use such a big, open room for?
Why, it's a ballroom. And quite the lovely one, at that. No place for a creature as hideous as our host... And it seems he agrees with me.
How do you figure?
There are Heartless here, but I see no traces of a struggle. I can only take that to mean that he is avoiding this place.

There's a balcony outside the doors here.
Fascinating, Roxas. Can you see anything else?
Not really. Just the stars.
Anything else USEFUL?

Moving on to The West Hall...

Then we can return here later. The rest of the castle needs to be explored first.

As I said, moving on to The EAST Wing.

At this rate, he'll go the entire day without speaking to Belle at all... Again. This can't go on much longer... We're running out of time!
Running out of time for what?
Ah, but you see? This is one of the castle's residents. And like the beast, a human once.
You think he's under the spell, too?
If I had to venture a guess. And from the sound of it, this spell came with a time limit.
What happens when time runs out?
What indeed? Let's continue our search. And stay out of sight.

I guess we're doing this again. It's Cogsworth, though, so it's fine.

Especially since we're fighting Sergeants just a short distance from him and he didn't even notice.

Gear Component A. There's a reduced quantity of chests with Potions, which I like.

Nice sofa.
No breaks, Roxas.
No, I wasn't- I didn't mean- I was just saying...

This room...

This is the beast's room.

This should be the beast's room.
"Should be"? Your words don't inspire much confidence. Hmm, I sense the room may be occupied. Look in and see, Roxas.

This room looks just like the beast's.

This room looks just like the beast's.
Hmm, I sense someone may be inside. Whoever it is must be important enough to warrant accommodations as fine as the master's. Peer inside and see who it is, Roxas.

I wish there were some way I could help.
Perhaps I'll ask Cogsworth and the others. I'm sure that together we can figure something out.

Spoiler: Beast is still extremely fatigued in KH2, so Belle does nothing until then. In KH2, though, she makes Xaldin look like a chump.

I don't believe it. The woman inside-she's human!

And that's what happens if you chose the This room looks just like the beast's. Both options converge during Belle's scene, but then diverge again. If we chose This is the beast's room...

Oops. Guess I had the wrong room.
Hmph, useless.
I just got a little turned around. Forget about that. The woman inside-she's human!

A little turned around. On a completely different wing. Anyway, the dialogue converges again.

Really? Just when I thought this castle was all freaks and furniture... Then she must be Belle.
How do you know?
All the servants speak highly of her. It's only fitting someone so well regarded would be given such fine lodgings.
She's pretty, isn't she?

You remember the way to his room, yes?
I think so.
Take me there.

We don't actually have to sneak past Cogsworth again, since we can just get caught and the game would put us back at the entrance.

(Uh-oh!) *runs*
I was certain that something was there... Lumiere! If that's you, get back to your post this instant!
Whew... He almost spotted us. I need to be more careful.

Did he mention Lumiere the previous times? Must be nothing. Now Xaldin will finally let us investigate the west side of the castle.

Wow. Didn't even last 3 images before we see who he's referring to. And you can guess where this is going.

If only there was some way we could be rid of them for good... But like this... What can I do!? I don't even have arms to hold a sword!
He must be like the others-another human under the spell.
It would seem everyone here underwent some sort of transformation.
How do you suppose they wound up under a spell?
I couldn't say. We may find some clue in the beast's room.
That's just past here.
Then let us be going. Don't get spotted, Roxas.

It's double stealth time! :downsbravo:

And because it's Lumiere, this stealth section is much harder, with one of the examinable items right in his field of vision. gently caress Lumiere :argh:

(Uh-oh!) *runs*
Cogsworth! Is that you?
Whew... He almost spotted us. I need to be more careful.

Now let's actually examine the mop.

Cleaning supplies...
Stop wasting time.

Thanks for that :argh:

The floor is all torn up.
He fought tooth and nail to stop the Heartless here... There must be something ahead.

Hi-Potion.

Weird statue, huh?
Art is beyond our ken, Roxas. It takes a heart to feel moved.

Did this get knocked over in an earthquake?
Use your eyes. These are claw marks. The beast destroyed this himself. It was victim to either a stray blow whilst he fought the Heartless, or else some other rage he felt compelled to vent.

Oh, yeah, something I forgot to mention: These Bully Dogs can cause Silence. Remember: The other time we fought them is when Roxas used a stick. I waited a while and it never inflict Silence on Roxas or Xion, so either I'm lucky that time or the game hard-coded that mission to prevent Silence. Not that I'm complaining.

These picture frames have been knocked all over the place.
The beast can't control his rage. It muddles the heart, poisons the mind...

Yeah. I'll take a look inside...

Huh!? Xaldin, how did you...

He came through a portal off-screen. No idea why he couldn't just go through the door.

This rose... I sense a power in it. The beast must hold it quite dear.

We made the discovery that you're the type to use portals just to look cool. And that you can talk while silenced.

the woman?

Belle, was it?
Ah, yes, Belle. Indeed, there may be meat to pick there. I sense she has some role to play in this farce.

This choice is the same as the one in the second option. I guess the game starts mixing it up with the dialogue trees? Kinda late for that, though, considering we're at the last proper recon mission.

the rose?

What do you care about some flower?

It looked fake.

No rose is going to survive long under glass. It's gotta be fake.
Ah, but then you're making an assumption: that it's just another rose.

It looked important to him.

He obviously takes really good care of it.
Precisely, Roxas. That is no ordinary rose.

To him, at least, it seems to hold more value than anything else in the castle. You saw the room. It was in tatters-save one corner.
Maybe that's why he's been fighting the Heartless. He wants to protect the rose?
Of course. Some strange power surrounds it... The Heartless are drawn to it.
Then his fight is far from over...
Our work here is done, Roxas. The beast's weakness is clear.
It is?
To hold something dear is to let it hold you. His heart is in thrall to it, don't you see? And that, Roxas, is ample weakness.
I'm not sure I follow.
Nor should you. You have no heart to love with. Come. We return.

I still wish I have a 'Foreshadowing!' smiley.

We immediately turn back and examine Beast's room again.

I still have some questions about that rose.
Now is not the time. Leave it.

And then we go to Belle's room. Yes, we have to go through both Lumiere and Cogsworth again. We can't just take the easy way of getting caught since it will bring us to the entrance to The West Wing.

This Belle person... Why do you suppose she's here?
You think she isn't simply a prisoner?
It didn't seem that way to me. Plus, she mentioned helping him.
Help that beast? Hah, if I had a heart, I'd be laughing.

It's about Belle.

She's obviously important to the beast.
The servants seem more concerned with her than the beast does. They seem to be of the opinion she matters more to their master.

Which is weird since Beast should've been concerned with her because of the events in Hollow Bastion.

Right, but how?

It's about the rose.

Okay, so it's not an ordinary flower. Don't you think we should find out why?
I thought you'd have figured that part out by now. It probably has to do with the spell he's under.
Spell?

Enough speculation. We have what we need. It's past time we returned.

And that's all. We can go back to the portal through the shortcut of getting caught, since Cogsworth is nice, unlike Lumiere.

I guess Axel's still out on that classified mission, huh?

Twilight Station Tower: 25
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 52

I keep wondering where they keep the ice cream. Putting it in the pocket can't be sanitary since there's no packaging to be seen.

Beast's Castle, with Xaldin.
You remember the castle's master, Xion?
Yeah, the beast we saw.
Well, you were right. He does have something he wants to protect. Something he cares about.
Really?
Yeah, but Xaldin says that's a weakness.
Why would caring about something be a weakness?
I dunno, I didn't get it either.

*time passes*

I hope Axel comes home soon.

In hindsight, I probably should've done this mission last since we get many new items, but whatever. :shrug:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, given that Belle has the yellow dress in the first Kingdom Hearts, it makes no sense that they're not closer.

But I think I said that already.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

The only route into the castle... Remember that, Roxas. If a giant
Okay... But that's kind of a big if.

I wish we have a 'Foreshadowing!' smiley.
You forgot the rest of Xigbar's line there.

Also, yeah, this whole mission is a whole "This is going to happen in KH2!" reference.

Could have been worse.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I always liked Xaldin's relationship with The Beast. Unironically it's better than the relationship of the main trio of this game.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

You forgot the rest of Xigbar's line there.

Also, yeah, this whole mission is a whole "This is going to happen in KH2!" reference.

Could have been worse.

I was confused, since you said Xigbar but it's actually Xaldin. Anyway, most of this mission is a KH2 reference, but that specific quote (that I forgot to put in its entirety) isn't. Spoiler: We're going to be fighting a giant Heartless on the bridge.

TheLoneStar posted:

I always liked Xaldin's relationship with The Beast. Unironically it's better than the relationship of the main trio of this game.

Xaldin's relationship with Beast is the kind where one person doesn't even know the other exists, and then the other person tries to get the first's attention. It's funnily similar to a "Notice me senpai!" situation.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

1234567890num posted:

Xaldin's relationship with Beast is the kind where one person doesn't even know the other exists, and then the other person tries to get the first's attention. It's funnily similar to a "Notice me senpai!" situation.
More like Xaldin goes full on Yandere by the time Sora and crew get involved.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Xaldin at least tried to involve Disney in the main plot and I respect him for that.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Xaldin at least tried to involve Disney in the main plot and I respect him for that.

:same:

Also, it would be nice if we can get into the next page.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Next page, hoooo.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

I was confused, since you said Xigbar but it's actually Xaldin

Braig, Dalin, it all blurs together after a while. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

Braig, Dalin, it all blurs together after a while. ;)

Dilan ;)

That's kinda the problem with huge casts. It's mostly a problem with movies with many casts but only 2 hours of runtime (like Big Hero 6). This game is better since you get to fight them with wildly different tactics, thus making them more memorable (their powers at least).