Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Sacred Moon

Continuing with the missions...

Thunder magic, huh?

We're swapping Aero with Thunder. And adding the Air Slide LV+. I actually know what raising the level of air slide does! It lets us slide multiple times, so Air Slide LV 2 lets us slide 2 times in a row. It's useful for grabbing airborne badges.

Music: Olympus Coliseum
Music: Go for It!

All I have to do is defeat some Heartless and then I can head home.

The chest contains Aero Recipe.

This chest contains Technical Gear+ (3).

And the lawn contains Heartless. There's two Flame Notes, but Blizzard shot right through them. The Jumbo Cannon is just a bigger cannon, with the same attacks (shooting straight and shooting up with target). It also has loads of HP, which is annoying.

How cruel.

What!?
You heard me. And Herc's nowhere to be found!

I initially misread that as Hero. Is the similarity actually intended by whoever make the mythology or is that just a coincidence?

I know this is no job for a rookie, but I ain't got much of a choice!
This is the real deal, so stay sharp.
I will. *starts running*

Don't. Get. Careless.

It's not a hard Heartless, especially since we're ready with Thunders.

Um, right.

Music: Tension Rising

It's nice how Sora moves in tandem with Roxas. And he how the game actually bothered to make Sora not look like an idiot by turning him around so his Thunder actually hit. The size is too large, so I had to split the top and bottom screen. Try refreshing to see them syncing.

Anyway, Clay Armor will fall instantly if hit by Thunder. Actually Large Armor will also fall instantly if hit by Fire, but it's kinda hard to hit it while it's standing due to how Fire works.

Once Clay Armor wakes up, it will do the same attacks as Large Armor. It hurts, so don't get it. You should be able to get 3-4 combos depending on how long it is.

Like Large Armor, it can also try to hit you. This attack can be ignored since it's not dangerous. At all.

This isn't it falling down. This is it preparing to do an attack by grabbing the ground.

And then sending shockwave straight ahead. Just move left/right/jump. You'll rarely see these attacks when actually fighting it.

Oh, and the Ordeal Badge? You have to get it now. If you didn't, you have to replay the mission to get it (which isn't much, but Jumbo Cannon is annoying). Also, the minimap and the Hearts counter are disabled. The former because of the flashback and the latter because of :iiam:.

Now that you're warmed up, how about startin' in on today's training?
What?
You're serious about gettin' into the big leagues, right?
Well, there are two things every hero hopeful has to remember.

Every hero hopeful? :confused:

Train. Every. Day!

That's one thing. You can't even do the "keep mixing up 2 and 3" joke right.

But I'm telling you, I'm not-
No "buts," kid! Now get training!
Let me know as soon as you're ready.

My thoughts exactly.

Lightning Shard.

The score sheet has been updated. Guess what we're going to be doing next.

If you're thinking training, you're correct! This isn't optional, since we're only halfway toward the mission goal.

All right, let's get this show on the road.

Anyway, you have 1:15 to get as many points and, more importantly, hearts. You can't grab the Ordeal Badge because of invisible walls.

It's faster to just hit the Soldiers with the barrels to instantly kill them. You know, if they didn't miss because the Soldiers are moving or they're at the edge causing the barrels to hit it instead or if the barrels target another barrel.

Completing the mission isn't that hard. If you didn't want to deal with the training, just go and beat them up the old-fashioned way. You get no points, but if you're doing that then you probably won't care about it.

You can use either the barrels or the Soldiers to keep your chain and get lots of points that way. It's a good way to farm Hearts. I got an extra 32 hearts from Chain Bonus in that picture (chain bonus are blue, normal ones are white).

Phil's reactions are the same as last time, so I won't show it again.

We haven't reach the full bar yet, so let's do this again.

I don't think Phil actually ever lets Sora train with actual Heartless. In a way, Phil respects Roxas more than Sora.

It's just 157 points, nothing spectacular. We try again to get more Hearts.

:smug:

After the third session, we don't get the choice to try again.

Actually, it's more than enough. Between givin' that Heartless pest a pounding and all the training you put in...
Ya know, you could really...
Uh-huh? Could really what?
Could really use more practice. Trust me. You're gonna need it.
(Well, I've collected enough hearts. I guess I'll RTC.)

That's the scene you get if you completed the mandatory objective and opt not to train anymore. You still can as long as you haven't done that 3 times because once you've done that...

Sorry, kid, but I can't stick around anymore today. I got some errands to run, nymphs to chase, you know how it is. *leaves*
I guess that's it for now, then. I'll just have to RTC.

So we go outside.

Roxas and Hercules walk past each other. Again.

Where ya been, Herc!? We been drownin' in Heartless while you were off in Zeus-knows-where!
Heartless? Where? Let me at 'em, Phil!
Too late. The new rookie took care of 'em. I'm tellin' ya, Champ, the kid ain't half bad!

Music: At Dusk, I Will Think of You...

KH 358/2=179 Days of Falling Salty Diabetes
Twilight Station Tower: 26
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 54

Music: Crossing the Finish Line

I won't be trying out the Techincal Gear+ this update.

Ah, our third Deserter mission.

Music: Rowdy Rumble

Yes, we're going to start at the same spot EVERY TIME we go here. Aero Recipe in the chest.

Like the other Deserter missions, there's no Heartless in other areas. The left chest has a Cure Recipe while the right has...

...I stand corrected.

Another Aero Recipe here.

I think this is one of the few times we can just walk into The Coliseum.

Inside, we get this badge first. We can reach it thanks to Air Slide.

This mission mixes Soldiers into the Deserters. There's only 2 of them at a time, but there's plenty of them. I lost count of how many Deserters and Soldiers I killed. Don't take that the wrong way.

The Deserters are no match for Roxas. They tried to dogpile him, but Roxas is too strong for them.

This is the mission :airquote:given:airquote: by Luxord. It's the toughest of the bunch. And "certain magic?" Not really convincing. Let's just hope it's either Thunder or Blizzard. (It's Aero).

See what I mean by starting in the same place?

Thunder Recipe.

The Morning Star is inside. I think we just walk to The Coliseum more times in this game than the other games combined.

This shows exactly what we're dealing with: 3 badges, 2 chests with Gear Component A and Thunder Recipe, 2 Li'l Cannons and 1 Morning Star. The Li'l Cannons works on the same principle as the Soldiers, as in only 2 appearing at a time but with a lot of them on standby.

The Morning Star itself has 2 attacks. One of them is spinning randomly and sometimes towards Roxas/Xigbar. You can block to avoid the damage, but Aero will instantly stop it. Note that it's moving so fast the only way magic will hit is if it's moving right towards Roxas.

And this is the second attack, featuring Xigbar's limit. You can see how hard it is to damage it. The only time you can damage it is if you use Magic while it's spinning towards Roxas or between its attacks. This is why I really appreciate KH2's reaction commands. It would've been easier if I brought Aero, but still...

Eventually, Xigbar died. Don't worry, Xigbar. We'll avenge you! :patriot: Xigbar revives after a while.

After that, I tried killing all the Li'l Cannons, but eventually got bored and leaves.

Of course, who's waiting outside but our old friend, Zip Slasher. Xigbar is much more useful than Marluxia here due to his playstyle, but I still don't bother with it since it will kill Roxas in one combo. There's auto-life, but still...

Twilight Station Tower: 27
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 56

I don't know why there's no tower scene yesterday.

Getting 3 more Aeros is nice. Both Li'l Cannons and Morning Stars drop Gear Component A, which means we might actually be able to synthesize weapon panels! :toot:

New reports:

Every direction except above, it seems.

Would've been nice to know that earlier! :argh:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

1234567890num posted:

Would've been nice to know that earlier! :argh:

If Roxas could emote, I'm pretty sure he would comment that he was denied critical, need to know, information.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

No story scenes this time. Today we're going shopping since we have Munny to burn. :homebrew:

We can make 2 Elixirs. Hi-Ethers are easy to make, but I still don't actually make any. I don't need it yet.

We also have a variety of links to Block. This one has a Perfect Block as a material, which prevents knockback from blocking. Block-Counter enables counter attack while Fire/Blizzard Block causes Ignite/Freeze on the attacking enemies, respectively. They can be useful when fighting Zip Slashers, but since I don't bother with them I didn't make any of these.

I do make this one. It's just Chrono Gear with better stats and Blizzard Finish instead of Thunder Finish, which inflict enemies with Freeze instead of Jolt.

I also make this, since its abilities are pretty good. And all weapons do require Bronze along with Gear Component A.

Chain Time increases the time window for chaining. Chain Power increases attack Power during chains. Heart Bonus fully recovers HP for every 300 Hearts collected. The first two are useful, the third one not so much. As for stats:

Chrono Gear 45 18 0 04 2
Duel Gear 56 00 0 12 6
Chrono Gear+ 47 25 0 04 4

The number stands for Strength, Magic, Defense, Critical% and Critical Bonus in that order.

That's what Abaddon Plasma looks like. On another note, these names are kinda like an emo poem. I mean, excluding Kingdom Key, so far we have:
  • Missing Ache (Skill Gear)
  • Ominous Blight (Technical Gear)
  • Abaddon Plasma (Duel Gear)
  • Pain of Solitude (Loaded Gear)
  • Sign of Innocence (Chrono Gear)
  • Midnight Roar (Valor Gear)
  • Umbrella (Casual Gear)
...Okay, the final one doesn't count, but you know what I mean.

Go get some training in Mission 36. I'd call 100 points a passing grade. I'll even reward you.

It's Phil's first training, the one with all the barrels. Turns out there's a reward for it, the game just doesn't tell you explicitly earlier.

There's a good boy. You've beat the 100 point mark. Here's your reward, kiddo. (Obtained: Bronze)
Xion? As if. Poppet already took off.

Bronze is nice since we used up all of them earlier.

I'm sure you all know who this is.

I mean, good for her and all, but it makes me look even lazier...

I know, right? :hfive:

:toot:

Like I said, no more proper recon missions. This one's just Hearts collecting.

New Music: This is Halloween
New Music: Spooks of Halloween Town

Ah, our precious skeleton Jack :allears:. Spoilers: Christmas Town and Sandy Claws won't appear in this game, which is strange since KH2 imply that Jack meat Sandy during the time between KH1 and KH2 (which is now).

Something new. Something fresh...
I want this Halloween to be a festival of fantastical frights!

I just found Jack to be very cute :3:

*Jack leaves*

This mission is short and sweet. That's what you'd think :unsmigghh:

Cure recipe.

Creepworms are basically Shadows if they can't become invincible and die in 1 hit. Yeah, they're that pathetic.

Skater Bombs are ice version of Minute Bombs with the same ramming and exploding attack. Only this time the explosion causes Freeze instead of Ignite.

Most of the Heartless are here.

To be honest, I don't know what happened here. Normally the bombs sit still during their countdown. Maybe it's because I knocked it into the air? :iiam:

Something worth mentioning: Some weapons have an alternate combo that can be activated by pressing Y instead of A when the prompt comes up. In the GIF, the longer combo is with Y added while the shorter one is purely with A. The Y combo is different for each weapon, but most of the time I don't really bother that much with it.

Blizzard Recipe. Now let's move on to the Graveyard. This mission is a breeze with all the Creepworms around. What can possibly stop us?

...Oh. :ohdearsass:

Make no mistake. These ghosts are VERY dangerous. First, we hit the pumpkin that has been all over the town.

The pumpkin has a countdown. I'm sure you've seen that countdown before.

:supaburn:

This kills 2 of them, leaving us 3 more to deal with. And it's actually enough for the regular mission.

Also, that's not Roxas getting hit, that's Roxas healing. I don't know if it's because I have Cure LV 4 or Magic Bracer, but I basically have Leaf Bracer (invincibility when healing) now, so I abuse it.

As for their attacks, they has a hand attack. It's not dangerous, but it has a surprisingly long range. Block is good here.

The other attack...yeah. And that's with Auto-Life. You can avoid it by just...walking away when they teleport, but you can't do that when you're being hit/attacking/casting magic. You can button-mash to escape, but that's assuming your HP doesn't run out first.

You can handle one of them no problem. Five of them? Just use the pumpkin bomb.

Gust Shard. The badge up there is barely reachable with Air Slide LV 2 from the top of the stairs. And that's all for this mission, so we go back to the portal.

Trick or treat!
Huh!?

:stare: I can't even be mad at them. That's just a very direct prank it loops back around to being funny.

Ah ha ha ha! We got you! *All three run away*
They ran off... What was that all about? I should get back... *leaves*

*the portal disappears*

What was that? A swirl of sinister smoke, there one minute, then gone... That's never been here before. ...... Something unfamiliar popping up in a familiar place... Popping...
Eureka!

Don't worry, we'll see what Jack's plan is later.

Wonder who it was.
Don't know! Don't care!

That explains why none of them mentioned about Roxas to Sora.

If we see him agian...
He'll get another trick!

*They walks, but Barrel stops*

No, we don't get to see what it is. Instead we get to see our "favorite" place.

Twilight Station Tower: 28
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 57

Axel won't actually eat an ice cream this time.

Yup, I just got home. *sits*
How ya holding up? Where's Xion?
She's not here yet.
Hunh.
It's getting late.

Music: Xemnus

At least we know where she is now! :v:

Music stops

Xion runs toward the person with a white hair...

...gets defeated...

...and lets him walk away. As you can guess, this is a cut version of a movie, which I will post later when we actually see the full version.

Music: Xemnus

We get the usual rewards. You know, slot releaser, synthesis materials...another LV Doubler?!:stare: And Sliding Dash too I guess.

New reports:

You know, if you can actually inflict those status effects and not miss because they keep teleporting.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe he meets Sandy Claws during Roxas' week in the Matrix? :shrug:

Also, gently caress those ghosts.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

That's possible, I guess. I'm just disappointed that we don't get to see it in this game.

Also, do you guys actually read the Challenge update? Any ideas on how to make it less boring?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Yeah, I read it. But there's really not much to work with as it's just rehashes of old missions with some gimmick. There's not much to work with in the first place.I'm not sure how to help out there.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I think the Challenge update is fine as it is. Maybe you could add more gif showing you beat up the enemies?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Yeah, that's kinda the problem: It's just redoing the missions in a certain way. Hitting the enemies are mostly the same as in the actual mission.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Pretty much the same flashback as before. Still the cut version, though.

Now we get to see clearly who the impostor is. I'm pretty sure no one who played this game first would know who Riku is.

You were a mistake we never should have made. *leaves*

Saix is being an rear end in a top hat. In another words: Tuesday.

Xion?

*Xion runs off*

I only realized that I wasn't equipping the ring now, since my level is higher so the damage from combos are basically the same as before. And I'm equipping Chrono Gear + because chaining will be useless next mission.

Spoiler: We won't be getting any more vacation. Organization rules are harsh.

Take a guess at where we're going.

Yep. It's Xaldin's favorite place.

Music: Waltz of the Diamond
Music: Dance of the Darling

Like the briefing said, this mission is full with Pureblood Heartless. Massive Possessors aren't as much of a dick. They might be immune to normal hits (not finishers), but at least they don't teleport all over the place. And you can actually get out of possession very quickly.

The chests has a Aero Recipe and Bronze. The latter 2 chests in the picture are actually the same one.

The door to the Entrance Hall is blocked, so we have to go through the upper level. The chest has an Elixir Recipe, so now we can make 3 elixirs! :toot: (I still won't make any, though)

The drop to the lower level is blocked, so we have to go through the Ballroom.

And now normal Possessors and Gigas Shadow have joined to fray.

Gigas Shadow is just a stronger and bigger version of Shadow. In fact, I think we've seen most of the enemy types. The rest is just recolor of previous ones. Yeah, this game reeks of :effort:

It gets Xaldin to do his limit again, so that's something, I guess.

Xaldin's whole limit take a bar of its health. One of Roxas' Aero does a full bar :smug:

Enough dallying. We've wasted enough itme here as it is. Let's find our target and be done with it.

You're just mad because Roxas outdamage you severely :smugbert:

Now we can finally go to the Entrance Hall.

Taking a short detour to The East Wing for a Cure Recipe. After that we go to The West Hall.

Music: Destiny's Force

See what I mean about :effort:?

There you are... Let's begin.

This is just Darkside. Exactly same attack, more health.

Its attacks are dangerous, though. This shockwave hits for half of Roxas' health and will continue to hit if Roxas didn't get out of the way. 3 hits with Auto-Life (2 without) and you're dead.

Deflecting this attack to its head is how you'll deal most of your damage since it has high defense. Remember, Darksides take more damage to their head. Also, RIP Xaldin :patriot:

It also has the basketball attack.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

With height like that, I'd play basketball, too.

And that's why basketball is popular among Darksides.

The orb rain isn't nearly as frequent as the one from BBS 0.2 AFP, so that's nice. Especially since the orbs can cause Shoe-glue. You can automatically jump when attacking the hands, but it's still a nuisance.

Another nice thing: The Shadows summoned are actually recolored to mix Dark Follower's color scheme. It won't be seen anywhere else (except Shadow's Unversed counterpart).

It's a slog due to its high HP, but otherwise it's not hard. If you want to see how the fight goes, just watch the Darkside video.

Come, Roxas. Our mission is over.
Right.

What, no visiting spying on Beast today?

Graaaaaaugh!
What was that!?
Our beastly host, I'd imagine.
It came from his room... Did something happen?
Hmm, I wonder. Come. We'll take a look.

I spoke too soon...

The last rose petal is about to fall... When it does, I'll lose- No! I can't bear it-I don't even want to think about it!
The rose?
How fascinating. Then his beastly form must be tied to it somehow.
It's related to the spell?
Yes. It seems if he doesn't doesn't complete some task in the rose's lifetime, he stays a beast.
One of the servants did mention something about time running out.
The key to his cursed form... Heh heh, this morsel will prove useful.
What do you mean?
I'd only waste my time attempting to explain it to you. Come along. We must return.

Twilight Station Tower: 29
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 59

Haven't seen her today, either.
Oh well.
Hey, Axel...
Huh?
Is there anything you couldn't bear to lose?
What? Where'd that come from?
I ran into somebody today, and...
Well, he had something like that. Something so important to him he couldn't bear to lose it. Why don't I have anything like that?
Because you don't have a heart.
Uhh, I guess...

Hey, you leave Demyx alone! ;argh:

Hmm, true, but...I don't think that's quite the same. I guess the closest thing we Nobodies have got is our past. You know, memories of the stuff we couldn't bear to lose, back when we couldn't bear to lose it.
Oh... Too bad I don't remember MY past.
Well, what about your present?
Huh?
You've got memories from here in the Organization, right?
Yeah... I do, don't I? I couldn't bear to lose my memories of you or Xion.
Well, see? There ya go.
Everybody's got something they want to hang on to.
It's scary to think I could lose you guys.
Scary? Scary's a feeling, man.

Hold up. First, Axel ask Roxas what he's scared to lose. Then he says that Nobody can't feel scared. So what are you trying to say here?

I guess you can be courteous by saying that Axel got a heart but doesn't realize it and Nomura is secretly foreshadowing here, but it's more likely that it's just bad writing.

Yeah, I know I can't feel, but... It's still a scary thought.
A thought, then. But not a feeling.

Not really seeing what the difference is.

Are you sure?
Maybe you just remember what it's like to feel scared, and think you're feeling it now.

Ah, the result of Xemnas' propaganda.

We got Fira! :toot:

New reports:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think purple Darkside was the point where I started realizing how lazy this game's Heartless design was.

At least we get a new world. Eventually.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

You don't actually need to use spoiler tags since I allow spoilers, but whatever.

The world has technically appeared before, but the areas we explore and the music this game doesn't appear in that previous game (and some of them even won't appear in the next game), so that's nice of them to be :effortless:.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

The world has technically appeared before, but the areas we explore and the music this game doesn't appear in that previous game (and some of them even won't appear in the next game), so that's nice of them to be :effortless:.

Still has the worst bosses though. And only, what, two areas?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

4 areas, actually. The island, the Skull Rock, the normal rocks and the Pirate Ship.

The boss there is the second worst enemy in the game.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Again, no pre-preparation scene. Seems to be a trend lately.

Just want to point out that when I mentioned about how we're low on Bronze 2 updates ago? Well, turns out you can just buy them. Not that I need to.

I added Duel Gear back and removed Aerial Recovery. On hindsight, I probably should've replaced the Aeros with Fires for reasons which will be seen later.

If you're keeping pace with me, you'd have, say... 130 open with all the missions you've done. Let me know when you hit that mark.

I'm pretty sure we've hit that mark, since we opened all the chests we can and I'm sure not going back to count them.

Looks like you're keeping up just fine. Very nice, man. Somebody deserves a prize! (Obtained: Shield Tech)
I just saw Xion a little while ago. She was heading out, though.

At least the reward isn't another mission, so at least you're learning.

I agree. This game has been mostly peaceful so far.

Did you figure out that with a name like "Avalanche" the Heartless would be weak to Fire? Well, I didn't. Or at least I'm already halfway through the mission when I realized it. Yes, there's more to this mission than just the miniboss.

Music: Lazy Afternoons

New Music: Missing You

Twilight Station Tower: 30
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 59

I added a banner. I probably should've added the coat to the stick figure, but :effort:

Roxas?

Yeah. They sent me here today.
Really? Me too...
Roxas, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have run off like that yesterday.
Whatever, it didn't bother me.
I was upset. I messed up a mission really bad. I don't suppose you heard about the guy pretending to be one of us? The Organization impostor? I was ordered to take him out...but I couldn't beat him. Saix was so mad, he called me a "mistake."

It's to be expected. Riku has an endgame level from CoM while you just has a midgame level. And also Saix being an rear end in a top hat.

Oh... Gosh, I'm sorry...
Don't be. That jerk can say whatever he wants. I can take it.
Hey, Xion... Why don't we work together today?
Huh? How?

And this is what I mean by "more." Try to guess what Xion's mission is.

Well...okay. Maybe we'll finish early and have more time for ice cream.

Music: Sinister Sundown

See the green ring on the right? Or the emblem on the bottom screen? In addition to defeating the miniboss, we're also collecting emblems today! :toot:

This can really catch you off guard. That said, this is still a nice surprise. Good thing I got Haste.

It can be hard to differentiate between badges and emblems. Just remember that badges have a red color for Unity Badge and blue for Ordeal Badge and Ordeal Blazon. Or that emblems should have a green ring around it.

There's this thing, too. I'm pretty sure that Bulky Vendor teleporting away actually restores the green rings.

There's also these things. Hello, Neoshadow. Seems that you weren't invited to the Pureblood party yesterday.

In the next area, we see the previous miniboss that has been turned into a normal enemy without a mention in the briefing. This is why I brought Aero. I don't know if I said this before, but defeating Pureblood Heartless also restores the rings.

Anyway, here's the map, with the purple lines being permanently closed gates and the other colored lines being unlockable gates. We start at the top, with the right exit (to Tram Commons) blocked.

Remember: You can't open the gate if there's enemies nearby. Which you ideally want to save for later to restore the rings. Great.

It's a Poison Plant. You can't target it while its doing this attack, which is annoying.

There's a badge inside the room with the yellow and cyan gate. You can reach it by air sliding from the ledge, but I missed it and can't try another time because of a bullshit move by the game.

It's actually very nerve-wracking fighting this Heartless since if I accidentally grab the emblem I have to start over again. So I used up Fire and limit. At least we get this shot of both Roxas and Xion using their limits.

Anyway, the bullshit move is that THE RINGS DOESN'T PAUSE DURING THIS MESSAGE. So if you're not mashing the A button to quickly get rid of this text, the ring will be gone before you can even reach it. It's not THAT big of a deal since the game put at least 1 Heartless near every emblem, but it's bullshit nonetheless.

The Tunnel has the last 3 emblems. There's a Gigas Shadow in the big square area to restore the ring for the two nearby emblem.

For the last one way in the back, there's a Cymbal Monkey in the left chest. The right one just has a Thunder Recipe. And with that we're halfway done with the mission! And this is when I realize that maybe I shouldn't use all that Fire on the Poison Plants because of course a Heartless called Avalanche would be weak to it. Oops :sweatdrop:

Too late to do anything about that, though. We collect the Unity Badge from Under the Tracks and a Hi-Potion from the Side Street.

Our target can be found in the Sandlot.

It can shoot ice...

...charge at Roxas...

...and do a backflip. It's very similar to the Tailbunker a long time ago.

Hitting it enough (or maybe just using Fire since Xion is actually useful this time) will force it to land. It's just for like 2 seconds, though, so barely enough time to hit it. You can hit its tail in the air, but it's harder to hit while it's moving. Also, if you're wondering, this keyblade's air combo is just 2 hits, kind of like Chrono Gear's.

It can also make a shockwave if it lands on its own. For this one it only lands for about 1 second before taking off again.

And finally, it can put its feet up to hit whoever dares to attack it from the front. It's basically just :effort: on Avalanche's part.

That's both mission done. I'm not sure if Duel Gear's Chain Time ability also extends the green ring's duration, but it can't hurt to use it on this one.

Music: Lazy Afternoons

You actually have to go back manually, which is nice if you for some reason didn't pick up the emblems on your way to Avalanche.

Okay... Yeah, sure.

Twilight Station Tower: 31
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 61

What, you thought you weren't going to see the tower twice in one day?

Guess we got the work done a little TOO fast, huh?

It would be more noticeable if we actually get to see a time other than twilight.

Music stops
Video: Xion's Defeat

Flashback to that scene for the third time. This time it's finally the full version.

Riku takes a look at Xion beneath her hood and is surprised by it.

New Music: Riku
Your face... Who are you really? And why do you have a Keyblade?

Because they're giving it to everyone now, apparently.

Tell me first why you are dressed as one of us.
To make sure my best friend sleeps in peace.

That can be taken the wrong way. I could make the joke but I won't.

But you can't fight fire with sparks. This Keyblade, it's a sham- *toss the Keyblade aside*

My Keyblade is not a sham! What gives you the right to say that?

Xion charges at Riku...

...and gets defeated again.

Find a new crowd. Trust me. Those guys are bad news. *starts to leave*

This is Xion speaking, by the way.

Fair enough. You could say I am the biggest nobody of them all.

:rimshot:

*screams*

Music stops
Video stops here

Sorry. My mind's on other things. Roxas, why are we doing all this? Working for the Organization?
What do you mean, why? So we can get hearts of our own, right?
Why? What do we need hearts for?
I don't know. But i figure once we have them, we'll be in a better position to judge.
Right?
Maybe. I just wish I knew what I was doing here. How I got here...
I started having the strangest dreams.
Really?
I can never remember what they're about. I just wake up feeling like...like something is really wrong.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, Xigbar said you and me were pretty special. "Exceptional," he said.
...Special just means different.
Because I'm a mistake.
You're not a mistake.

Roxas did not know the concept of euphemism.

But I don't think we're the same. *leaves*
Xion, wait-

A short while later...

Axel actually won't eat ice cream again today. He's showing a LOT of restraint.

Hey, Axel.
Xion couldn't make it again today?
You just missed her.

Music stops

It's just a shot of Sora on the field from CoM.

Sight unit increases Critical % and Critical Bonus and can be linked to a weapon. More importantly, we finally get High Jump! :woop:

New reports:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 7, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I honestly wasn't expecting Riku to show up in this game, even if it makes perfect sense when you consider that he killed an Organization member and he and DiZ were the ones to bring Roxas to cyber-Twilight Town. The scenes with him are probably the best part of this game. I love when people respond "that's fair" to someone throwing shade at them.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Thing is Riku never actually did kill an Organization member. Xehanort's Heartless killed Lexaeus, while Zexion was killed by Repliku. He and Mickey were just goofing off for an entire year and getting nothing done until the last few days, apparently.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know Axel goaded the Replica to kill Zexion, but I guess I don’t recall how Lexaeus died. Didn’t he sacrifice his body after Riku beat him to unleash Riku’s Darkness or some poo poo? If Riku bloodied him and then got overwhelmed by darkness and turned into Ansem-Riku and killed him, I’d still chalk it up as Riku’s kill, tbh.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

In the original, Lexaeus sacrificed himself, but in the remake and definitive version, Lexaeus was about to kill Riku, but Xehanort's Heartless possessed him and saved his rear end at the last moment.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah well I don't recognize the remake as canon. :colbert:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Before we do today's mission, we're going to go back and pick up some items first.

We need to have High Jump and Air Slide LV 2 for this.

We're going to do the same thing for this, so I'll just explain it on this mission.

Music: A Day in Agrabah
Music: Arabian Dream

First, we complete the mission like before. This is the one with the Barrier Master. I know I didn't bring any Blizzard, but we're too overleveled for this so it doesn't matter.

With High Jump and Air Slide LV 2, we can go to the west scaffold without the boxes. We can just jump from the top of the southwest building. Like I said, there's more Fire Plants up here.

There's one more in the northwest building.

From there, we can jump and slide toward the tallest building, where the final Heartless and chest are. The chest has a Diamond, which is another synthesis material.

We only get the rewards we didn't get before, but we do get the random rewards again. Most of the random rewards aren't noteworthy, though.

Anyway, with the others, I'll just gloss over the rest. We can just withdraw after getting the items since we already fully completed those missions.

Ominous Gear (4).

Slot Releaser. You might notice that all of these are from Agrabah.

Sight Unit (L) and Ordeal Blazon. Fun fact: All of these are located in Agrabah Street.

Backpack. I'm just glossing over these because these are in one of 3 places, all of which had a Fire Plant.

I also did this challenge. We already got one of the sigil for Xaldin's request before, but now we can actually get all 3. The only difference with the actual mission is that the enemies' levels are increased by 4. While our level has increased more than that.

Oh, right. I missed this badge earlier. It's right behind the starting point.

And that's all we can do for now. There's still 3 more missions that has things left undone, but we'll get to those later.

Take it. (Obtained: Combo Tech)
You don't need a heart to know how to manipulate one. Remember that.

That emblem mission was actually pretty easy. There's just 10 of them and you don't need High Jump or Glide for them.

Oh, you mean to defeat the impostor. Yeah, that's tough.

By my knowledge from the future: never.

We got another world! :toot:*

*We're not going to a new world today

I'm sure Wonderland can wait. We're going to Halloween Town to check up on our friend Jack.

Music: This is Halloween
Music: Spooks of Halloween Town

Phantom Gear (4).

Huh. That's weird. Normally I would've shown the Heartless here by now. Where are the Halloween Town regulars? The Creepworms? The Mega-Shadows? The Hover Ghosts?

Where did all the Heartless go? I should've seen some by now. And what's that thing?

That balloon is creepily cute. I don't know how that's a thing, but that's how I feel about it :3:

Well, nothing we can do about both the balloon and the missing Heartless, so off we go. to Halloween Town Square.

Oh?
These balloons contain a terrifying trick! Anyone who touches them is in for quite a shock!
I see, I see! Interesting... Be sure to tell me about any more "ideas" you have, Jack.
I will, Doctor!

*Dr. Finklestein leaves*

Hmm... It's not enough, though. My perfectly petrifying Halloween is still missing something... *leaves*
Terrifying trick? Is there something inside?

Let's find out!

Bugs! :derp:

At least we found one of our friend, the Mega-Shadows. Too bad they're not the one we're looking for. And no, they don't come out of the balloons. There's one more balloon here, but it's pretty much the same as the first one.

Gust Shard and Hi-Potion. And that's all here. Maybe we'll have better luck in the Graveyard? Hopefully?

What is it, Zero? I'm busy brainstorming.

I love this portrait :allears:. Jack's antics are honestly refreshing after Tony's bullshit in my other LP.

*Zero moves*

Is there something special about that balloon?

*The Hover Ghost hovers away*

I think it's consistent that the Heartless never pose any actual threat towards Halloween Town's residents. They're just a nuisance since they're ruining Halloween party/Dr. Finklestein's research/Christmas party.

Well, that was unexpected! A Heartless popped out. How strange. I certainly didn't put anything like that inside. Aha! Someone else must have decided to add a new level of terror by hiding a Heartless inside! I'd better keep brainstorming, or they'll think of all the good ideas first.

Here's an idea: You could probably do a Monty Hall problem with tricks on all but one box. That one box has a treat inside.

Wait! I've got it!

:3:

You deserve a treat.

:kimchi:

I'm going to run over to Dr. Finklestein's lab right now!
This new idea is really going to wow him! *leaves*
So that floating doggy thing can sniff out Heartless? Maybe if I give it a bone, it'll help me track them down.

And that's the gimmick of this world. Feeding a dog :allears:. I can't even be mad at Roxas for disregarding the "stealth" part of his job description.

This shows the chest with a Gust Shard, the badge that we can't reach and the balloons that releases Heartless when examined. Along with the bones.

Zero is so cute that the game won't even let us attack him! The game just lets us...:stonklol: Let me just say this.

ABSOLUTELY NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO BE A CREEP BECAUSE OF THIS. I MEAN, WHAT THE gently caress, GAME? YOU COULD'VE JUST USED MANY WORDS LIKE "FEED" OR "GIVE" OR EVEN "THROW" :sassargh:

I just need to get that out of my system. Anyway, we can feed Zero the bone.

And he will lead us to the landmark we can examine.

You can just go there directly after that scene with the Hover Ghost, but the hitbox isn't at ground level, so you have to try jumping near everything to found all of them. It's just not worth it. Plus, why wouldn't you want to feed Zero?

After examining, Heartless will come out. That's how we're going to complete this mission.

You can't call the bones "hidden," and there's plenty of them. Enough for getting full mission (not counting the balloons).

One Hover Ghost isn't an issue. They're actually weak to Aero and it will kill them in one shot.

Popping one of the balloons here will release 3 of them at once, though, so that can be hard. Aero still kills them and you can use the pumpkin bomb, too. It's nowhere as hard as 5 of them at once. The other balloon just has a Creepworm.

I found this spot accidentally while fighting the ghosts. Fun fact: You can't feed Zero while there's Heartless around. Nor can you examine things that releases more of them. You can pick a bone, though.

After that, Zero leads us to the town square. But when we tried to follow him...

Catch!

It hits Roxas in the face. Again.

Waugh!
Ahhh ha ha ha ha! Got you again!
Run away! *runs off*
Where to? *also runs off*
Our secret hiding spot! *Roxas just lets them all run off, apparently*
What in the world... Those are the same kids that messed with me before. What's their problem?

Moving on...

The Heartless released from now on are all Snowy Crystals. Good thing Saix actually does his job this time.

There's three more hiding spots for the Heartless. The last one is in the entrance (you can see the dark portal). The balloon near it does nothing.

And that's all. They tried to recreate the recon missions by having us examine landmarks, but I prefer the actual recon missions.

Don't hold your breath.

*Axel sits down, amazingly not eating ice cream AGAIN*

Twilight Station Tower: 32
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 62

Did something happen yesterday?
Nah, it's nothing.
Girls sure are complicated, huh?
How did you know that's what I was thinking?
Because you're not complicated. But don't take it personal. Most Nobodies aren't.
You mean...real people are more complex than us?
Well, sure! Especially if they're real and female. That's like a double dose of complicated.
So...what about a Nobody girl like Xion?
Single dose.

I don't know... Larxene is a female nobody and she's nowhere as complicated as Xion.

I guess you could say that since Xion isn't actually a Nobody she's double dose of complicated (according to Axel's logic), but I don't think Nomura thought that far.

I am so lost.

Got it memorized?

I'm pretty sure that's the key for dealing with all human beings... Oh yeah, Nobodies. Carry on.

Hmm...yeah... Wish you'd told me that before.
Well, just give her some time.
Why?
Because if you rush in there and try to fix things, you'll just press more buttons.
Fine, whatever.
You're all right, kid.
Don't call me "kid"!

*Axel laughs*

I think Axel is beginning to see why Xigbar uses nicknames all the time.

You'll patch things up with her. Trust me.
I hope so.

And that's the first of Axel's long list of well-intentioned gently caress-ups.

New report:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Out of context bone.

In hindsight, yeah, the Heartless never do cause serious problems in Halloween Town. Heck, a boss just holds onto Lock, Shock, and Barrel in KH2 without trying to snack on their hearts at all.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

And that's the first of Axel's long list of well-intentioned gently caress-ups.

Hey, give Axel some credit! This is the first time he's ha to use his social skills in ten years. Of course he's going to be rusty. And with Larxene as the only woman in the Organization, of course his views are going to be biased in that regard.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

First, I just want to show the Keyblade we got from a chest in one of the missions. This one is very good defensively, with Defender reducing damage when low on HP, Offensive Block allows deflecting by attacking (just like parrying in KH1) and, most importantly, Second Chance which leaves Roxas with 1 HP on an otherwise fatal attack. Needless to say, it's good. I won't be using it, though, since it stats leave much to be desired.

Duel Gear 56 00 0 12 6
Ominous Gear 37 00 6 03 4
Phantom Gear 52 29 0 06 4

Like before, it's Strength, Magic, Defense, Critical% and Critical Bonus in that order.

I'm switching to Phantom Gear for its better stats. The abilities are Fire Finish (like Blizzard and Thunder finish but with Ignite), Magic Bracer and Magic Finale (which increases a magic's final cast's power. It's as useless as it sounds). I'm also switching Aero with Blizzard because of reasons you'll see later.

I'll probably do an exhibition of all Organization members' weapons later. Once I got all of them.

On another note, Xigbar has been replaced by Luxord.

Score at least 50 points in Mission 37, and you win. Come see me once you're done.

It's the Grandstander. You know, the one where you hit the ball to keep it off the ground. It's that mission from the day off.

It seems you've scored at least 50 points. Here's a new game. A mission. Saix will have the details for you.
Finding oneself stumped is part of playing games. Don't let it get to you.

Screw you, Luxord :argh:

Anyway, here's Luxord's mission. We're going to ignore both it and the new world to go training.

What? You don't think an Olympus Coliseum story mission will involve training? Haven't you learned from last time? Yes, I'm delaying Wonderland again.

Would it kill them to give me a recon mission or...I don't know, something un-violent?
(The Coliseum's our best bet for finding a whole pack of Heartless at once.) Follow me, Demyx.

*They both walk towards the Coliseum*

Okay, right on... Ooh, but should we just go waltzing in? Won't someone see?
Don't worry. We'll just say you're another aspiring hero for some training. Trust me. It'll be fine.
Wait, training!? That sounds like work, which means sweating. Which is gross.
It's that, or stay out here.
Hmm, actually...
Yeah!
What?
We'll split up! And, uh...form two strike forces! I'll handle the Heartless out here. You take the ones inside. Covering a broader range means more efficient collection, right?
I guess?

I know I said that Roxas is smarter than Sora or Ventus, but he's still pretty dumb. I mean, this is obviously a lie by Demyx. Even if it isn't, it still won't work since you can't collect Hearts without a Keyblade.

(And while you collect those hearts, maybe I can collect some Z's...)
What's the matter?
Nothing! Well, good luck in there, Roxas.

Demyx will only accompany us when he's outside.

Which is why we immediately put his rear end to work. Roxas might be taken by his lie, but not us!

The Ice Cannon is just an ice version of Jumbo Cannon. Same attacks and everything. The chests has a Bronze and a Cure Recipe.

There's just 2 Jumbo Cannons and 2 Ice Cannons outside. So Demyx just helped with a quarter of the mission. Could be worse, I guess? He could've been like Xigbar and bails after 2 minutes. Anyway, we go inside.

C'mon! Is that all you got!? You call yourself a hero and use form like that?
It's coming from the arena.

Blegh... What a tyrant!

I'd be running out the door in tears after ten minutes of that.
Done with all the Heartless outside already?

There's 2 ways of looking at this: Obviously yes because Roxas was also there and he should've known about it, or obviously no because it's just been a minute since they parted. Either way, Roxas is being an idiot here.

The what? Oh, right, uh...yeah! Yeah, they sure picked the wrong guy to mess with! I finished early, so I thought I'd drop by and see how you were doing.
I'm still not done.
Yeah? Well, no biggie! I'll just find a comfy spot and kick back for a while. *leaves*
The guy is getting trained way harder than I was. Why's he getting yelled at like that when he's doing such a solid job? Is he that much stronger than me?

*Roxas goes back to the Coliseum Vestibule*

All right, Herc. That's it for today. Rest up for the next one!

And Herc was never seen again. In this mission, that is.

Um, okay.

Lightning Shard.

All right, let's get this show on the road.

Let's go.

Video: Phil's Training

Just watch the video if you're interested in seeing the training and seeing the Hearts collected go up. The only difference is that the Loudmouths will heal each other, so you can't just wail on them manually like the Soldiers.

Like before, you have unlimited attempts to complete the mission. If you watch the video, you might notice that this Keyblade's combo is kinda slow. The stats are still very good, though.

Video stops here

:smuggo:

Also like before, you only have 3 sessions to get full completion. It can be pretty tricky to get a good chain going, but looking at the minimap helps. If you're stuck, you can use Duel Gear for Chain Time. You need 3 hits to launch a barrel, but it might help. I never tried using it, though.

Phil's comment for moderate rank is actually changed. Also, you only have to get 150 points instead of 200 to get his amazement. The rest is the same.

I gotta tell ya, kid. I'm impressed.
I think you're ready for the big time. So, I'm clearing ya to enter the Games!
You are!?
Yup. You can try for the Rookie Cup, anyway.
I figure, you may not place, but at least you'll put up a decent show.
In the meantime, we'll keep you up to your elbows in your training-so stay sharp!
Speaking of which, who was that you were training before me?
Oh, Herc? He's another student of mine. Been at it for a long time now.
Why were you working him so much harder than you do me?
Is he that strong?
Well, sure. He's a hero, kid. If I put a squirt like you through that, you'd croak on me.
And it's not just that.
Huh?
Of all the heroes I've trained, he's special. Maybe the best.
I got high hopes for him. He's gonna be "the one"!

Who else have you trained anyway? Sora, Ventus, who else?

Wait a minute... Hercules should've remembered Ventus! I mean, that was a very big Unversed invasion. Phil gets a pass because he's pretty senile.

You just worry about getting in shape for the tournament. I got two words of advice for ya...
Eat. Sleep. Train!

Nekomaru said it better: Eat well, sleep well, poo poo well!!!!!! :black101:

Remember, I got expectations for you too, kid.
(So people work you harder when they have expectations? The Organization expects me to do hard missions all the time. Aren't expectations the same thing as orders?)

And then Phil leaves because he has errands to run, nymphs to chase, you know how it is. With nothing to do, we go back to the portal, where Demyx awaits.

Huh? Yeah...
What's up, man? You look out of it.
What kind of missions do you usually got?
Me? Recon stuff, mostly.
No taking out Heartless?
Nah, it's rare that I do anything that strenuous.
But aren't you expected to?
Ha, they know better than that. They wanna keep the machine running, they pick the right tool for the job.

Translation: I can't collect Hearts, not that I want to.

And that's me? The right tool for the job?
Something happen in there, man?
No, I just- Nothing. Our mission's complete. Let's RTC.

Twilight Station Tower: 33
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 63

Axel must've been really worried about his blood sugar level.

I think we gathered enough Elixir Recipe to make a lot now. Not that I'm going to, since for now I'm following the RPG rule of "It's good, so it's useless."

Also, that Hearts is beautiful :allears:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 7, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Apparently I posted the update twice. Oops :sweatdrop:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 21, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You posted the same update twice.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Larryb posted:

You posted the same update twice.

Fixed. Thanks!

berryjon posted:

Hey, give Axel some credit! This is the first time he's ha to use his social skills in ten years. Of course he's going to be rusty. And with Larxene as the only woman in the Organization, of course his views are going to be biased in that regard.

I'm giving him credit in that he's well-intentioned. A gently caress-up is still a gently caress-up, though :colbert:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Now we're finally going to Wonderland.

New Music: Welcome to Wonderland
New Music: To Our Surprise

Oh, my fur and whiskers! I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!

I just noticed that the rabbit's eyes are red, and they kinda creep me out.

Then you shouldn't run like a drunk :colbert:

What's his big rush? Maybe I should have a look up ahead.

Here's the usual "Start of mission" shot, this time featuring Sora.

This is similar to the one we had when fighting the Clay Armor. It's just that Possessors didn't exist before KH2 and Wonderland isn't visitable in KH2, so this shouldn't be possible.

The chest has an Iron.

The rabbit runs to the door. Yes, he still runs like a drunk.

Did he...shrink?
He drank from the bottle, you see.

Down here.

Roxas has seen a talking clock and a candelabra. It's no wonder he isn't that surprised by a talking doorknob.

Of course... And a rather sleepy doorknob at that.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be going back to my nap.
Wait, you said he drank from a bottle. What bottle?
The one on the table. Why don't you try?

Presumably... Now, I really would like to be getting back to my nap...

*Roxas goes to the table*

Whoa, it actually worked! *walks to the doorknob* Hey, that rabbit went through here a minute ago, right?

Snrrrk... Phewww...

What's behind this door?

Hrrrnk... Phewww...

(Hmm, I guess I won't be finding out anytime soon.)

The good news is that this chest has a Slot Releaser. Another good news is that while Squeenix might have :effort: on the Heartless designs, they kinda :effortless: on their gimmick, at least in this world.

The bad news is that those gimmick kinda sucks.

Striped Aria has tons of health, but a single magic will reduce most of it.

Their attack can reduce Defense to Lv 1, so they can be pretty dangerous, but at least it's easily avoidable.

Blizzard Recipe.

Grey Caprice has one gimmick, and it's very annoying.

Whenever you get hit, you'll swap places. It's very disorienting, but not that dangerous.

Now this one, they warp in the middle of your combo. Thankfully, Roxas has an automatic Combo Master (combo continues even if it doesn't hit anyone), but it still makes them a pain to deal with. The mission said to block their Headbutt, but that's assuming they actually tried to attack you and not just warp around.

Fun fact: When reading the mission briefing and reading Sapphire Elegy's name, I felt a sense of dread even if I didn't remember why. Now I remember :negative:

Another fun fact: You can't examine the bottles while there's Heartless around. This will prove to be a major nuisance when doing Challenges. Especially the one where you're on a time limit and just has to go back to the portal but the Heartless here won't let you.

After all the other Heartless are killed, this chair rocks. There was actually a cutscene showing this, but I won't bother.

Meet the Lurk Lizard.

It's pretty much the same as Veil Lizard. Including the attacks. I guess Squeenix is back to :effort:

Limit is still great, by the way. Especially with Auto-Life as an insurance.

Music: Welcome to Wonderland

I won't be showing these the next time we go here. We get this cutscene every time we use the bottle (I think), but you can just skip it.

I'm sure we'll find out next time. Now let's go back to our "favorite" place.

Yeah.

Twilight Station Tower: 34
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 65

Looks like Axel can't handle the temptation of ice cream for too long.

Yeah, no kidding.
C'mon, what's with the face?
What face...

...Well that was awkward. Whatever. At least we got Blizzara :toot:

This is why I brought Blizzard. I'm going to sorely regret it later.

Music: A Day in Agrabah
Music: Arabian Dream

This is going to be our first time visiting the Cave of Wonders after that battle with Pete (who have disappeared from this game), so we'll see what happens to it.

Aero Recipe and Blizzard Recipe.

Fire Recipe, Heartless, Heartless, Blizzard Recipe. The Heartless are old news by now.

Like the briefing said, there are Large Armors along with the Solid Armor. There's 4 Large Armors, 1 at each corner of the room. 2 of them won't trigger if you don't go to the far corner.

The Solid Armor itself has pretty much the same attacks as the other armors, so I won't bother showing it off. Worth noting is that Xaldin can't do his limit while the Solid Armor is standing. I don't know if it's because Xaldin's limit sucks or if it's just the AI's inability to jump.

You might notice that the Solid Armor has tons of HP. It's weak to Blizzard, but with the way blizzard works (pierces through enemies), it'll pierce its head straight to its body. The game treats its body like a wall, which instantly stops Blizzard. I ended up just using Fire.

I know that we just got Blizzara, but I haven't equipped it yet. Note to self: Do not use Blizzard on armor Heartless.

By the way, there's a new hole on the side. We can't go there yet.

The pillars have been knocked over, so we can't go up anymore. The chest just has a Hi-Potion.

The rewards are nothing interesting. Let's move on to Luxord's mission.

The Heartless are all the ones we've seen before. And this mission also brought back Potions inside chests. :sigh:

It's basically just running around all areas in the castle. This chest has a Cure Recipe. I haven't been using the recipes, so these are pretty useless.

The Entrance Hall Upper Level just has Soldiers, so we'll move on to the Ballroom.

Even Cymbal Monkey joined this party. It actually came from a chest hidden by the attack menu in the previous picture. The chest shown there has a Hi-Potion.

Every area is available to us this mission. This one has a Thunder Recipe and Elixir Recipe. I should probably make some elixir with all the recipe the game gives me.

And that's all emblem Heartless accounted for (except Deserters). At least for the ones that appeared in this world. No Pureblood Heartless invited, so no Shadow families, Possessor families or Dark Follower. The chests has Gear Component A and Potion.

This is a good mission to explore Beast's Castle, if you haven't done so in the recon missions or KH2.

There's so many Heartless and treasures that the rucksack can't handle everything even after getting 12 extra spaces for it.

The only hard part is if you run out of magic, I guess. You don't really need it, but it'll make this mission go by faster.

At least the game tries to fix it by giving you 2 (with a multiplier of 3) ethers. And the game also gives us another Cure. I think it's trying to tell us something...

New reports:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 7, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

First order of business: Making Hi-Ethers. I make 10 of them since I have Munny to burn and you can just buy Ethers.

The panels are mostly the same. I just added some items for insurance. I ended up not needing those Hi-Ethers.

Score at least 130 points on Mission 39 and I'll give you a gold star for the day.

This is Phil's training with the Soldiers. The last one with Luxord is about Grandstander. I already corrected that update. Anyway, we've got over 200 points there.

Attaboy, Roxas. 130 points. Here's a treat. Enjoy. (Obtained: Blazing Gem)
Poppet? I wonder.

These rewards are time-limited. Once you progress to the next day (or days for those with optional missions), you won't be able to get them anymore. They're not important, but they are a nice incentive to talk to people.

Our mission today is another boss battle :dance:

Whoa! That was the beast... Did something happen?

The dogs are here just to waste your time and magic.

Cure Recipe and Hi-Potion.

Same deal with this one.

I have a newfound Love for Aero and Air-Tossed status effect since doing this LP. Remember, Air-Tossed enemies receive more damage and can't move until they land.

Ether and Bronze.We're not getting the Ordeal Blazon now.

That sounded close... By the bridge!?

The Heartless are in the place Xaldin said they would be, so let's go there.

:stare:

(What could do this to him? What...what's out there?)

Sadly we can't do anything with the Beast. All we can do is grab the Unity Badge (it's the red thing in the distance) and go outside.

Boss: Infernal Engine
New Music: Vim and Vigor

That...is certainly a big Heartless.

I said "they" earlier because there's not just one Heartless.

Don't worry, this isn't a Demon Wall battle. Roxas isn't actually in any danger of getting squished in this battle.

So yeah, this is our boss. It reminds me of the Hi Ho Tank in Chrono Cross. gently caress those dwarves :argh:

Despite the large Heartless, the hitbox is very small. It's only in the middle part.

As for its attacks, it can send rolling exploding barrels at you. Just block and you'll be fine. Perfect Block might be useful since it nullifies recoil from blocking, but we don't need it.

Between attacks (and during some), the Archers on top will fire arrows at Roxas. We can see the target, and avoiding them is as easy as moving out of it. Those arrows deal very little damage, but they can inflict Jolt and interrupt your combo. So basically it's more annoying than dangerous.

Its next attack is a hammer. It pounds at the area in front of it. It pounds either 15 times or until Roxas gets hit by it. Whichever comes first. We can just hide in the corner of the bridge, but we still have to contend with the arrows.

I should note that the Infernal Engine will move forward between attacks but will move backward if Roxas hits it with a combo finisher. Normally, it will stop during attacks, but not this one. So, yeah. This is its most hard-to-avoid attack. It will move backwards a lot after (and only after) we managed to avoid getting hit.

If the Infernal Engine is far enough, it will charge. You can hit it during this time for extra damage. Just do one or two combo and then get away from there, probably doing magic once you're safe because...

This attack hurts and will kill Roxas (or trigger Auto-Life). Just go back after two combos. Phantom Gear has 3-hit air combo while Duel Gear and Chrono Gear+ just has 2-hit, so it's a better choice for this boss (in addition to its stats).

This is me hiding in a corner and getting pelted by arrows. Yeah, the hammer and arrows suck.

If the Infernal Engine managed to get near enough (somehow), it'll shoot cannons.

Block it and it'll kill an Archer instead. Kill all 3 Archers and it will stop shooting. You can't kill the archers otherwise, since they're not targetable.

After that, it'll send out a box.

It has 3 Soldiers, which is a joke at this point. After that, it'll attack normally, but you're free from the archers.

However, the Archers will respawn after it does the charging attack. You can just kill one of them to prevent respawning but still reduce the rate of fire, but I didn't bother.

And that's it. There's no phases to this boss, which kinda makes it a little boring. The difficulty makes up for it, though I still rank Antlion a better boss overall.

The Infernal Engine screams (for a given definition of scream)

And it falls apart, adding its heart to Kingdom Hearts.

Video stops here

Ha ha ha not yet.

The game puts the Ordeal Badge at the end of the bridge, inaccessible with Infernal Engine around. And you have to grab it now, since the mission will end after leaving this area. Oh, and the camera after this scene points at the entrance, making this badge easy to miss.

Oh no! I don't get to use Honest John's portrait this time!

Pictured: Belle and Beast's first meeting (in this game).

...... Belle... Get back inside... It's too dangerous...
I'm taking you with me.
No... I have to stop...those things...
But they're gone. You don't have to fight any more.

I was thinking about how Belle knew that the Heartless are gone, but it's probably because she saw the Heart floating out.

Of course, it brings up another question about why she didn't wonder more about it. Probably because Beast is a more important and they talk about it offscreen? :shrug:

I...guess that's true? Kinda? In certain point of view?

Please-you must stop doing this. It's too much. If something were to happen to you... I don't know what I'd...
Belle... I couldn't bear to see you...or the or the others hurt.
A master protects his castle... I don't want to lose you.

Why can't our boss be like that :argh:

I'm right here...

(He was protecting the people in the castle. Protecting her. She's what matters most to him. But...Xaldin said it was the rose.)
Feh. Cloying nonsense.

I think the thread's theory about Xaldin being a yandere hits the mark.

That's none of your concern.

Of course it is! You could've helped us fight the Infernal Engine! :argh:

Hmph. Love, from a beast? How utterly ridiculous.
Love? What's that?
It's an emotion. The one deluding those two as we speak.
Oh...
They think the power of love will save them? That's the stuff of poetry, not practicality.
Love is a power?
None you or I will ever grasp. Nor will they, for long. The love between them will wither and die. Love never lasts.
But you don't have a heart. How would you know?
I have eyes, and a brain. We have no further business here. Try not to dawdle. *leaves*
That still doesn't explain what love is... Is love fighting to protect what's important to you? Where does its power come from?

Twilight Station Tower: 35
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 66

This time it's Roxas who refrains from eating.

Xion around?
Haven't seen her.
Oh...
Somebody's gotta talk to that girl.

Axel: And it's not gonna be me because I'm a Nobody! :rimshot:

It's her choice if she wants to come join us or not.
I guess that's fair.
Axel, I need to ask you something.
What's up?
Did something happen?
Nah, it's just... This is gonna sound stupid.
Do you know what love is?
'Scuse me?
I found out about love on today's mission- that it's something powerful.

Roxas, you're better off asking literally any other character in the worlds you visited. Yes, I'm including White Rabbit and Doorknob.

That's true. It is. But I'll never get to experience it.
Nobodies can't love?
You need a heart, man.
Right...
Love is what happens if there's something really special between two people.

I can't resist.

You mean, like, if they're best friends?
Well, you can care about your friends, I guess, but that's not what I'm talking about.
So then...love is like a step above friends?
Yes... Well, no. There aren't "steps."

Actually, there are steps. It's like this:
Step 0. Strangers
Step 1. Acquaintances
Step 2. Friends
Step 3A. Lovers
Step 3B. Best Friends (aka Friendzone)
There's more but you get the point.

Kingdom Hearts.png

What does it matter? We'll never know the difference.
If I had a heart, you think I could love somebody?
Once Kingdom Hearts is complete, you'll be able to do all kinds of things.
That's good.

We got Cura! :toot:

New reports:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 7, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hello, Luxord. You know, sometimes I forgot you even exist :downsrim:
Other times the only reason I remember you is because you gave lovely rewards :argh:

Uhh...fine, I guess.
Saix shuffled us together for today's mission. I wager we'll make a good enough team.
I don't see why not.
Oh, by the way, did you hear about what happened to Xion?
No, what!?
She bungled her last mission and has been in a deep sleep ever since. Can't win them all, I suppose.

What mission? The one with Riku was 3 weeks ago!

Xion! *starts to run*

To see Xion.
But you have a mission.
Which I'll do!
You cannot help your comrade. Xion will not wake up.
That's not the point! I should still be with her. *runs again*

Don't call her that!

Roxas is pissed. I don't think that will affect Mr. Oxlashes here. If you don't get it, try removing the "x" and rearranging the letters.

I'll call that thing whatever I want. How we deal with Xion is no concern of yours.
I didn't ask you if it was!
Look at you, Roxas. Up in arms over a nobody.

Saix: A nobody, not a Nobody. Did I make that clear? Should I give even more foreshadowing for your idiotic brain?

We're all Nobodies!
Settle down. Xion's failings won't affect your standing with us. You've nothing to worry about.

Saix: Your insistence to seeing that nobody, however, will greatly affect your standing with us.

Won't affect my- What is WRONG with you? Look, I'll do my mission-later. *finally runs off*

Luxord: Seems like I have disappeared from this scene. Oh well. I will just wait for my turn.

Music: Missing You

Oh, Xion... *places someting before leaving*

Xion after waking up: Roxas, you didn't appreciate my seashells? :qq:

And now we're finally at our gameplay of the day. Let's talk to people before preparing for the misison.

Ugh, the thought of bumping in to a guy like that... See why recon's important? Not that you'll catch me enjoying it. Hey, how about you show me how it's done? Go scout out Mission 45 and find all the hidden Heartless. Examine any spot that looks fishy. Track them all down-I'll make it up to you! (And get to kick back in the meantime.)

Apparently Demyx isn't very good at recon, since otherwise he would've noticed that we can just get Zero to find all the Heartless for us. Yeah, it's that mission with Zero being cute :3:

Ooh! You found them all! Investigating suspicious spots is the first lesson in Recon 101! (Getting someone else to do it for you is lesson number two.) (Obtained: Frost Gem)
I just hope I don't bump into any nasties out there...

Unfortunately, there's no more proper recon missions, so we can't follow Demyx's advice :negative:

This increases our rank from Rookie to Agent. This also unlocks Riku in Mission Mode :toot:

This is nice and all, but I'm disappointed they didn't call him Mooglex or Xmog or Gelomox or something.

We can now by Hi-Potion and Hi-Ether directly. We don't need it since synthesizing them is better, but at least we have the option.

We can buy two of each magic shown here. I buy them all. Thundara and Aerora aren't available yet since we haven't gotten them. You can synthesize Aerora at this point, but I don't bother yet.

Magic LV tripler does exactly what it says. We also have a Dodge Roll LV+ when our current one can't be linked and a Aerial Recovery (3) when we doesn't have any LV+ for that. I buy them anyway because why not :homebrew:

Auto Life LV+ increases the HP restored by Auto-Life and Limit Boost increases the yellow HP gauge, which means we can use limit earlier and more often :frogin:

I might've gone overboard with over 10 Cure magics :sweatdrop: I never used Fira before this mission, so I tried it out. Blizzard is great. As a refresher for what each magic does (taken from the game):
  • Fire: Shoots a homing ball of flame
  • Fira: Shoots a ball of flame straight ahead
  • Blizzard: Shoots an ice crystal which pursues foes
  • Blizzara: Shoots an ice crystal which stays in places
  • Thunder: Rains down a row of lightning bolts
  • Aero: Shoots a swift gust of wind at a foes
  • Cure: Restores some of your HP
  • Cura: Restores your HP over time

As you can see (and as I probably have mentioned), Fira isn't a direct upgrade of Fire, Blizzara isn't a direct upgrade, etc. It's pretty nice and adds variety to the gameplay. There are several moves combination that can be made, like Blizzard with Attack or Cura with Limit.

As for the mission, it's our first "Hunt all of this kind of Heartless" in quite a while. The final line tells us what the Blizzard Plants are weak to, but I'll let you figure it out yourself.

Music: Welcome to Wonderland
Music: To Our Surprise

What? Oh, right.
What's wrong? First time here?
No, I was here on a mission a little while ago. And I ran into this white rabbit in a huge hurry to get somewhere.
A rabbit? Really?
I lost sight of him before I had a chance to see what the deal was, though.
Luck's like that. A window of opportunity can open and close in the blink of an eye. It's whether or not you can jump on the chance when it arises that determines a man's fate. Let's hope we stand up to the odds this time around.
Er, right.
Let's get started.

Like before, a chest is right behind the starting spot. It isn't actually a bad thing since we can't miss it when we RTC. This one contains a Shining Gem.

Remember what Fira did? Well, apparently this one somehow ignites the plant but didn't harm it at all. Okay then.

There's plenty of Heartless here, with Sergeant migrated from Beast's Castle. Probably they're out of work since Infernal Engine's gone?

Shining Gem and Aero Recipe. Notice how the Hearts already increased to over 300 when we haven't advanced in the mission at all.

Outside the Bizarre Room, there's a new area. We can't go past the cards yet, so we can't explore.

This garden belongs to the Queen. And it's private. No trespassing. Thank you.

This area's name is Hedge Maze Entrance, so you can guess what this world's gimmick is :negative:

Hi-Potion and Ether. The second one is actually in the next area, which is called the Queen's Castle*. We'll get a better look at it later.
*Not actually a castle

Huh? Who's there!?

Uhh...a cat?
A cheshire cat, if you please. Or if you don't.

Yes, of course. But then, I also had none at all. Which would you prefer?
I...I'll be asking the questions here!
Well then, ask away... Of course, the answers may be a bit difficult to find... *disappears*
What was that all about?

Notice how Luxord doesn't speak at all in this scene.

Anyway, we can examine the flowers in this area. There's 4 of them, all containing a Pink Concerto. Like always, you can't examine when there's enemies nearby.

It has loads of health. Blizzara is good for dealing with them. Blizzara is strong, but we have to get near it since it's a very short range magic.

It goes down very quickly it doesn't even get to attack. So we continue searching for the others.

This is its only attack: A poison cloud that blinds. Otherwise, it's just a big sack of HP.

It has been pointed out by berryjon that this attacks hits 19 times and will kill if all of them connects. I can say that it's true, but it's pretty unlikely. Just hope that you weren't frozen during that.

We kill the next 2 Pink Concertos in this area :black101:

Of course, there's still one more to find. Hmm... I wonder if you wonder where it could be...
We'd find it easy enough if you told us where to look, but I'm not holding my breath.
Oh, but you must! That would be loads of fun! But then, you'd have to be mad... Mad enough to hide within a birdcage, perhaps? Or mad...like me...
That was helpful...

Note how Luxord doesn't talk. Again.

Cura Recipe and Dark Ingot (another synthesis material). There's many exits here. One of them leads back to Queen's Castle*, two of them leads to the next area (same area), and the rest goes back to the Bizarre Room. Unlike KH1, there's no gravity mechanic here, so it's just a one-way shortcut.

This is the aforementioned "next area." There's a chest out of reach. Also, there's no chair-sitting mechanic here. Nor can we go back to the Bizarre Room through here.

The last Pink Concerto appear after we attack this birdcage back in Queen's Castle* into the ground. This area was called Queen's Court in KH1. No idea why they changed it.

Luxord limit is some kind of minigame. You can't really see it when not playing as him. It's a shame that limits don't make you invincible.

I think we've seen all limits in the main story. You probably can see the CO group's limits during their missions (except Lexaeus), but it's very unlikely. Saix and Xemnas will never join us on a mission. No, there's still 1 limit I haven't shown.

I didn't show it, but Limit really helps, especially combined with Limit Boost and Cura.

Luxord finally spoke again, at least.

Another mission down.

Yes, am I? Or aren't I? You'll have to decide. *disappears*

Why is Luxord giving Cheshire Cat a silent treatment? Does he has a personal grudge against him? If so, that would make him a much more interesting character.

That cat is a walking question mark.
Nobody's going to reveal his hand from the get-go. You have to outwit your opponent in the give and take to figure them out. And frankly, I don't see you outwitting that cat anytime soon.

:drat:

Well, excuse me.
Heh. Let's head back, Roxas.

So we did exactly that.

Twilight Station Tower: 36
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 66

Now BOTH of them has no ice cream? What is going on? :derp:

Saix told me what happened this morning.
Why does he hate her so much?
Listen to you.
How come you do that? Talk like you're a real person.

I probably should've made a count for this kind of thing.

Why? What did I say?
I don't know how real people talk.
I mean, sometimes you sound like you really are heartsick or something.
When I saw her lying there... I couldn't stop thinking that she'll never wake up.
She will.
Saix called her "broken"
Hmph.
Well, if it cheers you up, I'm probably a lot more broken than her.

Axel, I don't know how that is supposed to cheer anyone up. Except people that hate you, I guess.

Saix knows something about her. Why me and her are special Nobodies.
Well...

*stands up in surprise* Really!?
Yes, really! Sheesh, sit down. I'll ask, but don't get your hopes up.
Straight answers aren't exactly his specialty.

We know. His specialty is being Oxlashes.

He's more likely to tell you than he is me.
True.
I just hope she wakes up soon.

I warned you to keep out of this.
And I told you I can't. I have to know what Xion's deal is.
Why can't you be straight with me for once?
Just like you're always honest with me?

Spoiler: Axel won't be straight with Roxas or Xion. Saix got a point here.

Okay, you've got me there.
Xion has no right to be among our number.
Why not?
What is it you two see in that thing? Just look at it.

Music: Musique pour la tristesse de Xion

You know, we haven't heard Xion's theme in a long while. And we haven't heard Roxas' theme since the beginning of this game.

We actually got a linkable Dodge Roll this time. I'm pretty sure higher level Dodge Roll lets you roll farther. No idea about the invincibility, though. According to berryjon, higher level Dodge Roll reduces the cooldown, letting us spam it. It's not necessary though, since this isn't BBS.

New reports:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 7, 2018

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

This is its only attack: A poison cloud that blinds. Otherwise, it's just a big sack of HP.

It also deals 19 hits in the combo. Trust me, I got to know that number well when grinding those guys for synthesis items. If it connects all the way through, that's fatal.

I also like to think that the reason that Luxord wasn't talking was because he was holding in his mirth at Roxas bumbling about and being run around in circles by the Duchess' cat.

Extra levels of Dodge Roll let you chain them together without resetting your animation, which saves a few scraps of a second when mashing the button.

Also, I'm very bad at anagrams. :eng99:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

grinding those guys for synthesis items.

I also like to think that the reason that Luxord wasn't talking was because he was holding in his mirth at Roxas bumbling about and being run around in circles by the Duchess' cat.

Why would you do that to yourself?

Even that would make Luxord a more interesting character. As it is, it just seems like the game forgot about him.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Why would you do that to yourself?
Why does anyone grind enemies in a JPRG?

For the Bling!

That, or a nifty weapon upgrade.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I was about to say that you don't need to grind that much since most of synthesizable items aren't that good, but I realized that grinding is just a proud RPG tradition.

The anagram is just Oxlashes = Assholex

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Yeah, Axel isn't exactly a good friend. At least we can say that he tried.

I talked to Saix.
Really!? What did he say?
His...his leaps were sealed. Sorry, man, I tried.
That's okay.
But he did say he would take back calling her broken-IF she proves herself more capable going forward.
The best thing you can do for her now is keep up the good work.
I will! Thanks, Axel. That's great news! *leaves*
Ugh, sorry, Roxas...

Yeah, we could've figured this out on our own. Thanks, I guess? :confuoot:

I didn't change the Dodge Roll, but I added Aerial Recovery. Also, I changed Fira for Thunder because I haven't really used it. This is a big mistake; I should've changed Thunder with Blizzara instead.

Saix said he had a special mission for you, but... Well, from the sound of it, you'll need a decent weapon first. Gotta be safe. If you want at the mission, show me a weapon with three or more units installed.

At least he said that the reward will be poo poo from the beginning this time. And the quest is very easy. That's an improvement, I guess.

Hey, nice piece! You should be fine with that weapon. It's not that I had any doubts, but, you know... Anyway. I'll tell Saix you're ready to take that mission on.
Let's take care of business so we can get to the fun stuff.

Use synthesis at the shop to combine a Gear Component A, a rune Tech, and some Bronze. Report back when you're done.

You better not just give another mission :argh:

So, this is the one we need to make. We already made it. For some reason, we can make multiple weapons of the same type even though we can only equip 1.

Note that there's new gears. Some of them require Gear Component B. We get some from Gray Grey Caprice last mission. They're not better than Phantom Gear, so I won't bother yet.

I just want to say that there's this ability I didn't buy last update. It's poo poo, since you can't control the camera when locked on and sometimes it will screw you over.

Looks like you've done it. Here's your prize. Enjoy. (Obtained: Shining Gem)
Another day, another game, eh?

It's nice to see you learning too.

We're not going there today :colbert:

The mission Axel unlocked is actually the one with Dual Blade, not the emblems.

I'm sure we'll be fine without fire magic. (I regret not bringing Fire or Fira)

Like before, there's no Heartless in plain sight. The chest has a Thunder Recipe.

Correction: No Emblem Heartless in sight. The white thing there is a bone, but we have to find Zero first.

In Halloween Town Square, we have a chest with Frost Gem, a chest with Gust Shard, a Unity Badge, some Mega-Shadows, and two balloons with nothing in them. We could search this place ourselves, but gently caress that, I'm delegating this task to Zero.

On Halloween, I'll light these lanterns and make my grand entrance! They're in for quite a surprise. Oh! I'm almost late! I better hurry to the lab. Be a good boy, Zero.

In the Graveyard, we have a chest with Blazing Gem (right), a chest with Blizzara Recipe (left), 2 balloons, 6 bombs, 4 lanterns, and 0 Zero.

The left balloon actually has an Emblem Heartless, so we can get started with the mission.

To progress, we need to light all 4 lanterns. We can use fire magic, but since I didn't bring it we'll just use the bomb. The lanterns won't turn off if we leave this area, but the bombs will respawn, so there's no danger of getting stuck.

Lighting all 4 barrels opens a grave.

The coffin's lid is ajar...

That's what Roxas would say if we didn't light the lanterns.

Now we have to do the same thing, only this time we have 4 bombs instead of 6. The chest has a Gust Gem. You might have noticed that there's two tiers of synthesis materials now: Shards and Gems.

It looks like a door, but where's the knob?

Like before, this is what Roxas would say if we examine the door before lighting all lanterns.

Wha-? Who's there!?

Somehow they managed to make an explosion without throwing a pumpkin. Or maybe they placed the pumpkin and Roxas just didn't notice.

Waugh!

*The trio move to block Roxas*

You can't go past here!
Road block!
Catch!

Boss: Lock, Shock, Barrel
These three doesn't really qualify a boss, but I included them since they're the second of two Disney enemies in this game. Technically, they're the second, third, and fourth out of 4 Disney enemies.

Anyway, this fight is very easy if you're not an idiot and don't blow yourself up with a bomb like I did.

Lock attacks by throwing bombs. These ones have the normal 5 second timer, so it's easy to avoid.

Shock attacks by spinning towards Roxas.

Barrel attacks by speeding towards Roxas. I recommend leaving Lock for last and dealing with Shock or Barrel in whichever order because...

...they can be stunned by bombs, including Lock's. Yeah, you can stun Lock with his own bombs. This fight isn't hard, it just takes some time since all 3 of them likes to run away.

This GIF is basically this fight. I read that they can revive if you take too long to defeat the others, but I dicked around (not shown in the video) and they haven't revived, so I'd say that you don't have to worry about it.

Video stops here

Take it easy!
Tell me why you're blocking the way.
If we didn't, you'd go back there and see the-er, nothing.
The what? What's back there?
N-nothing!
Yeah, a whole lot of it!
We promise we won't pull any more pranks! Please let us go, pleeease!
Pranks? Getting in my way was a prank? Why even bother?
Because it's fun!
Fun? I don't really see how it's-
Well, it is!
Pranks are the best!
See for yourself!

Time from making promise to breaking promise: 20 seconds.

Now's our chance!
Run awaaay!

There's plenty of bomb GIFs this update.

I wish there were something else to add a little more oomph!

*explosion*

Those three... Up to no good again, I'm sure. ...Wait a minute. Something with oomph... Explosions?
That'll be perfect!

I'm afraid the next time we're here, this place is going to be a minefield :ohdearsass:

We finally found Zero and can begin killing Heartless. But before that...

Blazing Gem and Thunder Recipe. There's also 3 balloons. 1 of them has 2 Hover Ghosts and another has a Minute Bomb.

I actually found this one myself.

:psyduck: What the gently caress just happened? Why would the bomb explode suddenly!?

I'm pretty sure that it's because of the Fire Finish ability. It normally causes ignite, but instead it blows up the bombs instead. This happens with the pumpkin bombs, too.

These are the spots in the Boneyard 1. Obviously, there's going to be other Boneyards later.

Fun fact: Snowy Crystal doesn't flinch. I didn't notice this since I usually brought Fire. Their shockwave can cause Freeze, which lets them unleash more shockwave, which freezes you, etc. Pumpkin bombs kill them instantly, so that's what I used.

Another fun fact: You can blow up the hole made by the trio. This creates a shortcut from Moonlight Hill to the Graveyard. If we examine the hole without blowing it up (again)...

I'm too big to fit through.

Anyway, we go back to the Graveyard.

These are mostly Minute Bombs, which isn't that big of a problem. The explosions are bad, but being frozen means nothing when there's no enemy left and we brought many Cures and Curas.

These are the last spots Zero will show us.

Both of these has Creepworms. They're total pushovers.

If we give Zero a bone after all the spots are examined, he will just look down. However, we haven't fully completed this mission fully yet, so obviously there's somewhere obvious that I missed.

So after a few minutes searching for it, it turns out that it's just next to the entrance :doh:

And that's all Heartless found. It's easy except for the part when I was being an idiot.

Twilight Station Tower: 37
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 68

Looks like Axel and Roxas finally eat ice cream together again :monocle:

New reports:

Lock, Shock, and Barrel get their own profile even though we will never fight them separately.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, it's been a while since I've played Days, but am I correct in assuming that everyone who doesn't have a connection to Sora, Namine, or Kairi sees Xion as her robot/armor/whatever form?

Also, Luxord definitely feels like the most neglected Organization member, and that's including CO's guys. Even his element is weird. He seems to focus more on using his cards rather than time.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, it's been a while since I've played Days, but am I correct in assuming that everyone who doesn't have a connection to Sora, Namine, or Kairi sees Xion as her robot/armor/whatever form?

Also, Luxord definitely feels like the most neglected Organization member, and that's including CO's guys. Even his element is weird. He seems to focus more on using his cards rather than time.

That doesn't really explained. Xigbar sees Xion as Ventus, so :shrug:

I feel like Luxord is just some guy Nomura added to make Organization 13 since he likes that number.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I would assume that's because Ven's heart is in Sora and thereby affecting Xion as well. Or something.

And yeah, that sounds about right for Luxord. Maybe he'll get to do more in Kingdom Hearts III.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Here's the second challenge update. Featuring :words: about a completely unrelated game.

Tl;dr: Boost our sigils to 66 and got Thundara and some other things as rewards. Refought Antlion with Thunder being extremely effective. Blizzara to the face is satisfying.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

MAKE SURE YOU BRING AERIAL RECOVERY!!! I can't stress that enough. You'll see why later.

Now that we're done with the distractions, we're finally going to the final world. Neverland's gimmick is easily the worst, even including Beast's Castle's and Wonderland's (spoilers) stealth section.

New Music: Secret of Neverland
New Music: Crossing to Neverland

The names might look like :effort: (just like the name of all original tracks here), but the musics themselves are actually pretty good. These ones don't appear in any other game.

Edit: People reading this from the future might not know what I'm talking about, since I changed the tracks to the Days/BBS/Re:Coded OST. The names from there don't sound like :effort: anymore.

What was that Heartless I'm looking for called again? A Wavecrest? It's gotta be around here somewhere.

Just move forward a few steps and we see some familiar faces. Oh, and if you're wondering, you can't fall to the sea because there's invisible walls around the island.

Smee is constantly digging here.

There's no mistaking it this time! The treasure's most certainly here!
That would be a nice change from the last dozen places, eh, Captain?
And with the luck you had finding all those treasure maps at once, we'll be rich in no time!
Heh heh heh... Some poor fool must be cursing himself now for losing 'em.
(Treasure maps?)
Enough blabbering, Mr. Smee! Get that shovel digging!
Aye, aye, sir!

*Smee stops digging*

Oh!?

*Smee opens the box*

Blast! Another dead end!
Now, now, don't you worry, Captain. We still got a whole pile of other maps to follow.
Confound it... If we don't find the right one soon, someone else could walk off with me treasure.

Which is why Roxas is going to take whatever is inside that box :downsrim:

C-Captain, sir?

Run, Smee!
Yikes! Aye, aye, sir!

Good. Now's my chance to take out those Heartless.

So we do. The recolor of the elemental Heartless is called Turquoise March while the recolor of the Aerial Master is called Air Battler.

I'll talk more about them later. I'll just say now that you'll learn to hate them, especially Turquoise Marches.

Was this "treasure" some kind of trap? Or did something else cause them to show up? Something about that guy did seem a little...off.

Um... Did nobody notice the darkness emanating from Hook?

With nothing else to do, we approach the ship.

Where to, Captain?
To wherever the next map says the treasure is! I'm not giving up till I've struck gold! You'll find me that treasure, Smee, even if it means digging up every inch of this island!

*Tinkerbell leaves, only to meet...*

It seems that Tinkerbell got a better memory than Hercules or Phil.

Umm...can I help you?
*points to the ship*
You...want me to go to that ship? But how? It's too far. I can't just sprout wings and fly there.
*thinks, then flies around Roxas

*points to the ship*
Y-you want me to jump!?
*nods*
Wait...
Are you... Are you saying I can fly?
*nods*
Well...all right... I believe you.

That was quick.

We can fly! :confuoot: (No, that's not the wrong smilie)

I-I did it! I can fly! But...was it just that stuff you sprinkled on me?
*nods, then runs off*
Um...good-bye. So, now what? Should I go to the ship? ...... No, I'm here to take out that Heartless. I feel bad not helping her, but I can't risk being spotted. The mission comes first.

Don't worry. I'm sure Tinkerbell will be fine :v:

We can fly now. The Y button is now used to fly, which means that now we can't block. Or dodge roll. Or air slide. Great. :sigh:

First of all, 93% of the fights here are in the air, so hope your Keyblade has good air combo! 2-hit combo will make this a total slog. Nimble Gear+ has long combos, but Phantom Gear is better in stats and has the standard 3-hit combo, so I went with that.

Turquoise Marches only have one attack: Lobbing water orbs that have surprisingly long range. Remember that water attacks can drain your HP instead of just reducing it. And you can't block or dodge roll or air slide. So the only way of avoiding it is to keep moving. The water orbs explode into a water pillar, but it doesn't actually matter when we're flying.

You might have noticed that there's no treasure chests here. That's because the boxes (that Hook and Smee dug up but for some reason didn't open) acted effectively like a treasure chests. You have to examine it and then defeat the Heartless that come out before being able to get the prize inside.

There's just one problem: Unlike chests, we can't examine this when there's enemies around. And there's plenty of Turquoise Marches (and some Air Battlers) around. I know that KH1 is like this all the time, which is why I never finished that game.

Speaking of Air Battlers, they have 2 attacks: An air barrier just like Antlion's that dissipates over time and it also shoots out the same crescent things just like Aerial Masters. And they're immune to Aero.

Oh, and this chest box has a Panacea.

2 Turquoise Marches were fought to get to this box with a Potion inside. Worth noting is that we only have to fight the Heartless that shows up in the cutscene after opening the box (that I didn't show). So if the cutscene only shows an Air Battler but then two Turquoise Marches show up, the Turquoise Marches will disappear after defeating the Air Battler.

No Heartless were fought to get to this box with a Frost Gem. Don't count on it to happen often.

I forgot to mention that if we get hit while flying, we have to use Aerial Recovery or we'll fall all the way to the ground, not able do to anything while falling and with the possibility of getting stunlocked. I can't stress this enough: MAKE SURE TO BRING AERIAL RECOVERY EVERY TIME YOU GO TO NEVERLAND!!!

8 Turquoise Marches and 1 Air Battler were fought to get to this box with a Panacea. Yes, I'm going to count the number of Heartless I met on the way. At least Limits still work pretty well.

This one is actually the box Hook opened earlier, so we don't have to fight the Heartless inside anymore. It has a Gust Shard.

4 Turquoise Marches and 1 Air Battler were fought to get to this final box. The problem here is that Neverland is a world with 4 completely different maps. 3 out of those 4 maps (including this one) only have 1 wide open area, so the Heartless can (and will) chase Roxas everywhere. They aren't tough, but they are a nuisance.

The Wavecrest is this box's Heartless. By the way, this is the cutscene of the Heartless spawning I mentioned earlier.

The wavecrest itself is simple. It has a water attack to go with the Tailbunker's fire and Avalanche's ice attacks.

It can also do a backflip (just like the others).

Finally, it can also charge (just like the others). It can't land and create shockwaves, though.

The box has a Lightning Shard.

Music: Secret of Neverland

Maybe I should have gone with her... Saix wouldn't like it if I got mixed up in anything unrelated to the mission. But then again, without her I never would've found the target. I wonder why she picked me. It's like...
It's like she knew I would believe her-that I could fly.
Funny... I almost feel like I've done it before.

You've done this once. Twice if you count Ven.

Twilight Station Tower: 38
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 69

Yup.

*Axel sits down*

Axel, you're not gonna believe this.
I flew today.
Flew?
Yeah, like a bird! Well, sort of. It's hard to explain...

Just say that you flew like a fairy.

I can imagine.
There's just no way to describe it. I've been waiting all day to tell you and Xion!

Really? You were surprised only for the first 5 seconds.

Right...

Axel: :rolleyes:

Flying felt so natural-like I'd done it before. Weird, huh?
I wish Xion would wake up so I could tell her all about it.

To be fair, this is the sort of thing you would brag about to your friends.

The only notable thing here is Glide. Luck Tech is just another synthesis item to add to the pile.

This is the :airquote:reward:airquote: mission from Axel.

Same business as always.

The bombs still explode on the second hit, though. Yes, Demyx can be frozen. It's less ridiculous than Axel being ignited. The chest just has a Gust Shard.

The Dual Blade can be found on the next area. It's way easier to deal with than Zip Slasher, even though it's much bigger.

There's also a Rare Vendor, which is an upgraded form of Bulky Vendors. Don't know why they need a recolor, but whatever. It doesn't matter since it escapes before I can kill it.

The Dual Blade has the usual combo. You can also see Demyx triggering and failing to do his limit.

The Dual Blade also has a charging attack, which is done after it charges. I'm sorry :negative: It can cause Air-Toss.

Also, looks like Demyx manages to actually do his limit, which is good since we haven't seen it before. Sadly, none of the Organization members' limit is the same as their KH2 desperation moves. It's also sad that limits don't make us invincible.

It can also use Aerora, which can be blocked pretty easily. Also, there's always a Minute Bomb that respawns if we kill it. Just ignore them and deal with the Dual Blade exclusively.

Finally, it has the armor Heartless' jump high and create shockwave attack.

Have I mentioned that I love LV 5 Cure? Especially the innate Leaf Bracer ability?

We can block its charging attack to knock it down.

Like I said; it's much easier to deal with than Zip Slasher.

The Ordeal Blazon might look like it's too high to reach, but there's a stairs just out of frame that we can use to reach it. The chest has an A. Recovery LV+. I have no idea what Aerial Recovery levels do.

Our final mission is emblem collecting. Before we go there, we need to do some preparation first.

The most important thing to do is to add Glide. I also changed Dodge Roll and Aerial Recovery to their linked versions. I'm also changing Thunder to Fira because... I honestly don't remember why.

I know I might be in the minority here, but I actually like this puzzle aspect of the panel system. It feels great to make every linked panels fit.

Anyway, the mission. We need Glide to collect all of these. The ring starts shrinking after we drink the shrink drink.

We need to do this one from the top right and then clockwise. We need to glide from the top right emblem location to get the bottom right one. And you need to leave the top left one for last. The chest has a Fire Recipe, but I didn't actually pick it up until I collected all of the emblems.

We need to pick the emblem by the exit last because there's two emblems in the next area. This area has no enemies, so you need to have the ring ready when you enter.

We don't actually need Glide to pick up the emblem in the middle of the room, we can just use air slide. Glide does make grabbing it easier, though. And I need to fight the Heartless here to replenish the rings for the next room. Yeah, this time the emblems are in many areas.

There's plenty of emblems here. The right exit is the one we came from. A, B, and C all goes back to the Bizarre Room while D will go to the Tea Party Garden.

We need to drop down to grab these two. The chest has a Cure Recipe. Like before, I grabbed it after I fully completed the mission.

It's not that hard as long as you have Glide and save killing the Heartless for only when needed.

If you don't bring Glide, then I guess you're kinda hosed. You'll have to retry the mission later, I guess.

The chest has an A. Recovery LV+. I'm referring to the chest on the balcony in the previous picture, not the one in this picture. We can access it by entering from the D exit from the bottom right in the map above instead of the left one.

This chest just has a Tricky Monkey, which is just a resized version of Cymbal Monkey. Like Rare Vendor, I don't know why they felt the need to recolor a unique enemy.

The rest of this mission is just fighting the Heartless we passed by earlier.

Have I mentioned that I hate Sapphire Elegies? Because I do. poo poo like this is what makes fighting the Heartless longer than the actual emblem collecting.

Pictured: The main source of failure on many timed challenges in Wonderland.

Gear Component B.

Twilight Station Tower: 39
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 71

The number of Twilight Station Tower is surprisingly low.

New reports:

We don't even have Thundara (without doing challenges) yet!

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

According to the official soundtrack for BBS/Days/Coded, the title themes for the music here are "Secret of Neverland" (World) and "Crossing to Neverland" (Combat). :eng101:

The other tracks also have official names that can be seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ8XdYW3e2o

Also, you'd think Hook would be able to control the Heartless like in the first game. Did he just forget how? He calls them in his boss fight with Sora. :psyduck:

1234567890num posted:

I know that KH1 is like this all the time, which is why I never finished that game.

Aw, but KH1 is fun.

1234567890num posted:

Sadly, none of the Organization members' limit is the same as their KH2 desperation moves.

Xemnas', interestingly enough, is his Desperation Move from KH1. For whatever reason, he doesn't have the move at all in KH2.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 6, 2018