Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

According to the official soundtrack for BBS/Days/Coded, the title themes for the music here are "Secret of Neverland" (World) and "Crossing to Neverland" (Combat). :eng101:

Also, you'd think Hook would be able to control the Heartless like in the first game. Did he just forget how? He calls them in his boss fight with Sora. :psyduck:

Aw, but KH1 is fun.

Thanks! I changed the name of the tracks for all the previous updates.
Axel and Roxas -> At Dusk, I Will Think of You... (this took so much time to replace)
Axel and Saix -> Xemnus
Xion Theme -> Musique pour la tristesse de Xion (why does only Xion got a special name for her theme?)
Neverland -> Secret of Neverland
Neverland Battle -> Crossing to Neverland

If we want to be generous, we can say that Hook can only control Maleficent's Heartless. Otherwise, we can just say that Nomura just forgot about it.

KH1's opening is pretty slow. It's still better than DDD, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

1234567890num posted:

why does only Xion got a special name for her theme?

:iiam:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can say what you will about every other constant in the Kingdom Hearts series, but Yoko Shimomura, the composer, has always been putting in her A-game.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Think when you put in that edit after the music links Numbers, you messed up some of the BBcode as now the update from when you enter Neverland to about half way through your trip there has all the text strook through.

Glad to see we're on a new page though!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

We begin this day with a scene of Sora giving his heart to Kairi. Or returning Kairi's heart. I'm still not sure how exactly returning Kairi's heart turns him into a Heartless and creates a Nobody.

Look! It's one of the very few appearances of Donald and Goofy in this game! We've seen them in the static flashbacks several times, but this is the first time we see them in an actual cutscene.

Apparently the dream of Kairi grabbing the light is enough to cause Xion to jump awake.

Music: Sacred Moon

Xion... Good morning.
Morning...
You startled me.

Xion should've been the one startled. She's probably thinking why Roxas is in her room right now.

S-sorry...
Huh?

*Xion holds the seashell to her ear*

Do you hear it?
Yeah, the sound of the waves.
How long was I asleep?
About twenty days.
That long!?
Yeah. Me and Axel were getting worried.
I'm sorry. I feel bad. Kind of...weird that we can feel anything at all, huh? Without hearts to feel with.

I think this game can be a good demonstration of how propaganda works if I believe that Nomura planned that plot point when making this game. I kinda don't believe it, so this is just a foreshadowing about how Roxas and Xion is "special."

Yeah...
Hey, don't you have work?
Huh? Oh, I'm about to head out.
Can I come, too?
But...don't you need more rest?
After sleeping for three weeks? I'll be fine. C'mon, take me with you.
All right... Sure.

*They both go to The Grey Area*

On hindsight, I should've put a counter on how many times has Saix been an rear end in a top hat or called Xion "it." It could potentially beat the number of Twilight Station Tower appearance.

Saix, I want to go with Roxas today on his mission.
You belong in your room.

Morning, Axel.
Roxas will team up with Axel today, as scheduled. Xion, I'm afraid I neglected to pencil you in.
Don't keep me pent up in here. I need the exercise.
I'll look after her. I promise not to let her out of my sight.
[img]https://lpix.org/3147310/Saix%202.png[img]Hmm...
Fine. Go, if that's what suits you.

Did anyone notice that I was missing 5 levels from the last emblem-collecting mission? Well, I sacrificed some magic, Range Extender, and Treasure Magnet to free up some space for them.

Now that we have Glide, we can get some things we missed before. This one can barely be reached with Glide and High Jump.

Most of these are emblems that were placed high in the sky.

There's some invisible walls near the graves, so grabbing this one is kinda tricky.

This chest has a Shining Gem. While getting this one, I actually triggered a conversation that I missed before.

Music: Welcome to Wonderland
Still no Pink Concertos...

*Cheshire Cat appears*

You again?

If I were you, I'd ask...me!
You know where the Heartless are?
Naturally... But then it would be in my nature to lie. Of course, the question is-should I lie about in flowers, like the whats you're looking for, or just lie about in words? *disappears*
What a weird cat...
Still, he gave us a nice reveal.
What do you mean?
Come on. Let's go find those Heartless.

I think this triggers if you try to leave Lotus Forest without examining any flower, thus not finding any Pink Concertos. Also, this still reinforces my claim that Luxord has a personal reason not to speak while the cat is around.

By now we've completed every available mission except these two. We still need to level up our Glide and High Jump to get the emblems in the first one and to get the badges in the second one.

And the last. It's a shame, really. More 3-people mission means more opportunity for the other members to shine and maybe some banter between the other two members.

I need to know what they create, but lack the materials. Inform me when you're done. Understood?

You do know that you can see what you can make without having all the materials, right?

It seems you've succeeded. Ahh, and this...this is the result. Here. For your trouble. (Obtained: Range Tech)
Get back to your mission. Don't dawdle, Roxas.

A reward is a reward, I guess. Perfect Block isn't really that useful, but it'll probably replace Block LV+ since I don't know what increasing its level does.

Anyway, this is our first and only mission with 3 people. It's just a simple miniboss mission with 2 minibosses instead of the usual one.

Music: Lazy Afternoons
Music: Sinister Sundown

Yeah, I think this is my first three-man mission.
Just remember it's still a mission. We're not on a field trip, guys.
Yeah, yeah. It sure is nice to be back on my feet.
Just don't push it, you hear me? We'll pick up the slack.
I hear you. Thanks.

Marvel at the fact that we have an icon for the third player for this mission! We can technically have 4 people in a mission, but the Saix sure won't let that happen and having 4 people in multiplayer does more harm than good. You'll see why later when I cover that mode.

The right chest has a Gear Component B while the left has a Heartless. All chests Heartless are now Tricky Monkeys instead of Cymbal Monkeys.

The Detonators are just like the Minute Bombs and the Skater Bombs. They just has higher damage and higher blast radius.

We can reach this one with Glide. It's great to be able to get these without backtracking later.

Anyway, here's our first target.

It's immune to all attacks. Wait...

I knew you're behind this! :argh:

:fuckoff: (All of that damage is from 1 Fira and a few physical attacks. Yes, Fira takes off almost 4 bars of health.)

Heat Saber itself has the same attacks as Dual Blade. The only difference is that its jump creates an explosion instead of a shockwave. And it shoots fireballs instead of airballs. I feel like Saix is deliberately making this harder forcing Axel to fight a fire enemy.

The charge color and the charging pose are different too, I guess.

It's a rare occasion to see 2 AIs do their limits simultaneously. At least Axel's limit doesn't count as a fire attack because Heat Saber absorbs it.

As you might guess, it's weak to ice magic. Blizzara while it's down from having its charge blocked is very satisfying.

We defeat it and move on. This chest has a Thunder Recipe.

If you're wondering whether Minute Bombs and Detonators explode when hit by Fire Finish just like Skater Bombs; yes they do. As a side note: Axel getting burned is still a weird thing to see.

Xion!

Music stops

Apparently Xion dreams of getting a hug :smith:

Look at how surprised Kairi was when Sora got away from her hug by turning into light!

It's m lucky charm. Be sure to bring it back to me!

This is actually Kairi speaking in a tone that's definitely different than the actual event in KH1. I know that they're voiced by different people, but it's still a surprise that SE actually rerecord a line for this.

I'm using Honest John's portrait because there's no Kairi portrait in the game and gently caress making it myself :effort: Also, I'm lying if I say that I didn't look for a chance to use Honest John's portrait

Music: Tension Rising

Okay!

Before we fight it, we'll get the treasure chests first. It has a Slot Releaser and Thunder Recipe. Axel and Xion are nowhere to be found in this battle, by the way.

The Destroyer has the same :fuckoff: laser as the Guardian.

It also has a laser that follows Roxas very slowly. Yeah, it's easy to not get hit.

I just unloaded the rest of my available magic on it. The 3 Minute Bombs respawn, so there's no point fighting them.

It's okay. She's not hurt.
But Axel-
Let's just RTC, all right?

*The trio returns to the castle*

She's not an "it"!
Keep your mouth shut.

*The trio left Saix behind*

You have changed...
Something at Castle Oblivion changed you. Does the past mean nothing to you now?

I'm VERY sure it's because you're just a huge oxlashes. Castle Oblivion just seems to jump out because you're asking him kill another member.

Music stops

Of course I am.
Doesn't seem like you.
What do you mean?
You hate complications.
Roxas...
I meet up with you two every day for ice cream, right? Why do I do that?
Huh?
I mean, you think about it, I don't need to go out of my way, right?
I guess not.
You wanna know why I do?

New Music: Friends in My Heart
We are?

This moment is a lot better in the game than in the movie because the movie cuts most of the little jokes and small talks that the game has, making their friendship seem even more shallow than the game. This moment also shows how Axel grows closer to his friend. Compare this to like 120 days ago when Axel said that he didn't have any best friends right next to Roxas and Xion.

Maybe I am just biased because this is the first time Dearly Beloved plays in the game itself and it's a very good music. For some reason I can rip this theme but not the one used for the title screen.

That's right-get it memorized. And you know what? Best friends are willing to deal with complications.
Yeah... Yeah, you said it!
Heh heh...

Since I gave a good point to the game over the movie, I suppose I should take away that point by pointing out that Axel's arm clips through his spiky hair. This happened plenty of times already, although this is the first time I mention it.

Feeling better?
I just got a little dizzy. Sorry to worry you guys.
Try not to scare us like that anymore, huh?
Okay.
And you take it easy today.
I will. Thanks.

Music: Missing You

We then cut to Namine a mysterious girl sitting in a mysterious white room.

The game tries to hide the girl's identity, but if you don't know who she is by this point you're not going to understand anything about the story anyway.

Music: Crossing the Finish Line

This is our first actual Thundara. We already have 2 from completing the Challenges, but that doesn't really count. Also, we have another LV Doubler! :toot:

New reports:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

1234567890num posted:

We begin this day with a scene of Sora giving his heart to Kairi. Or returning Kairi's heart. I'm still not sure how exactly returning Kairi's heart turns him into a Heartless and creates a Nobody.

Not!Ansem's Keyblade amplifies the darkness of the Heart or something like that, causing Sora to become a Heartless, which releases Kairi's heart at the same time.

That said, I have no idea why Maleficent didn't turn into a Heartless when she got stabbed, unless she was in the process before we killed her/better in control of darkness and didn't succumb.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That said, I have no idea why Maleficent didn't turn into a Heartless when she got stabbed, unless she was in the process before we killed her/better in control of darkness and didn't succumb.

Maybe she did. Turns out, the Maleficent that we see since KH2 is actually Maleficent's Heartless. Her Nobody is in the same place as Scar's, which are in

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
The game can handle having 2 (and more apparently) partners at the same time and it does it... Once?!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

1234567890num posted:

Maybe she did. Turns out, the Maleficent that we see since KH2 is actually Maleficent's Heartless. Her Nobody is in the same place as Scar's, which are in

That would require Nomura to do something meaningful with Maleficent in a post-KH1 world.

Paused posted:

The game can handle having 2 (and more apparently) partners at the same time and it does it... Once?!

Xion plays exactly the same as Roxas, down to having the same Limit Break, and there's no section of the story where you shift focus to see what's going on with her. Which essentially means that Xion is more or less a worse Roxas because she doesn't eventually get the Dual Wield option that he does in multiplayer.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Which essentially means that Xion is more or less a worse Roxas because she doesn't eventually get the Dual Wield option that he does in multiplayer.

It's a gimmick that's not that useful because it's MP mode only, and the enemies scale up to far/fast for it to be better than going with a single blade with better stats.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I actually managed to fit in all the Level Up panels this time! I just bring 3 Cures, but there's still plenty of Curas.

Hey. You want this? (Obtained: Bronze)
I'm fine...really.

This is the first free item in a while. The quests for the previous items are mostly easy, but still.

Go finish off 30 plus enemies with a Limit Break, then drop by. I'll give you something fun. Think you're up to it, kiddo?

No. The counter for those 30 enemies started after talking to Xigbar, and we have to complete this quest before finishing all the available missions. We can do previous missions for this, but I won't bother.

For comparison, by the time I finished the available missions, I defeated like 7 enemies with Limit Breaks. Needless to say, I won't bother with this.

You might notice that we're missing Mission 59. I think you guys can guess how to get it.

It's time for us to fully experience Wonderland's gimmick. No, it's not examining flowers or hitting cages.

Music: To Our Surprise

Even if she's curious, she's sure to be most furious! For I'm late, I'm late, I'm late! *runs off*

The rabbit still runs like a drunk, if you're wondering.

It's that rabbit.
The one you mentioned the last time we were here?
Yeah... What's got him so tense? I'm a little curious.
Well, curiosity is essential to carving your own path through life. Get too curious, though, and it'll be a short walk. No one can say whether following that rabbit's footsteps will be your lucky charm...or get you killed.
Isn't that a little dramatic? Following him won't change anything. We're still here to hunt Heartless.
Heh heh. Well, if you're that certain... Let's go after our harried little hare, see where he takes us.
You're okay with it, then?
Following him won't change anything. You said so yourself.

To my surprise, there's nothing here.

And then there's a shot of the Rabbit running into the hole. You know, the only other exit?

All of these are weak to Fire. The Grey Caprices are also weak to Aero, which is why I brought those two magics.

Dark Ingot. You can see that we have over 200 Hearts already. The Blizzard Plants give around 30 Hearts, the Grey Caprices give around 45 Hearts, and the Pink Concertos just give around 15 Hearts. Wonderland is great for collecting Hearts.

I would say that it's better than Phil's training, but the end-of-mission Hearts multipler exists, so Wonderland's later missions is better. Especially when there's no Sapphire Elegies.

The only place left to look is in the royal Rose Garden.

Then go! I want those suspicious scoundrels brought here to me. Sentences must be served!

...How aren't you two caught already? You're pretty much right in the cards' path!

Yeah, bad time to drop in... Who's this suspicious trio they're after? Are we not the only outsiders here?
Ahh... Perhaps we were right to chase your busy bunny friend.
Why's that?
Time to get to work, Roxas. Let's uncover this tricky tierce. The Heartless we're after must be in the one place they haven't looked yet.

tierce (noun):
1. another term for terce (a service forming part of the Divine Office of the Western Christian Church)
2. an organ stop sounding two octaves and a major third above the pitch of the diapason (typically eight-foot pitch)
3. (in piquet/a card game) a sequence of three cards of the same suit
4. the third of eight parrying positions (in fencing)
5. a former measure of wine equal to 1/3 of a pipe, usually equivalent to 35 gallons

Yeah, I have no idea what Luxord is referring to. The closest one is the third definition, but even that doesn't really work.

Shining Gem and Dark Ingot.

Back in the Hedge Maze Entrance, one of the entrance is finally open. It's time for the gimmick. The chest has a Hi-Potion, by the way.

This area is called White Rose Hedge Maze.

Our marks are in here somewhere.
A suspicious trio... You really think she meant our Heartless?
I'm betting on it. Now, let's get looking.

A few steps later...

Can't we?
But there's a guard.
There are odds for everything... The trick is in the timing. Hit the window just right, and a long shot will pay off big.
Ohhh! So you mean if we wait till he's not looking, we can probably sneak by.

Now we can see what Wonderland's gimmick is: A stealth maze :negative:

The card won't move, but it will sometimes yawn, thus having their field of vision reduced.

Thankfully, we have the minimap and the maze is very linear, so it's easy to not get lost. I'll post the map everytime we go to the mazes (yes, there's another one). Green means badges/treasures, purple means targets, and oranges means cards.

Commanders are basically just like Sergeants, but tougher. You can really feel the :effort: here.

Aero Recipe. The Unity Badge is right in front of a card. Apparently they don't care about the badge mysteriously disappearing. Or maybe the badges are visible to just the Organization members? :iiam:

These two cards just move in a circle.

We need to wait until both cards are yawning at the same time. So of course, that's cue for one of the card to finish yawning just when I tried to run past them.

If we get caught, we're brought to the spot of the last Commander. At least this game doesn't force us to do it from the beginning.

This chest has a third Dark Ingot. This mission is just throwing this on us.

I didn't bother showing the rest of the Commanders because they're really not that interesting. I just mostly try to get hit and use limit to at least try to fulfill Xigbar's quest.

Yeah... But wait. If we just took out the trio those card soldiers are searching for, what will they-

All the searching in the world won't help them now.

Luxord gave no fucks about the cards' heads.

So it was the Heartless, then.
I think our luck beat theirs today. In the end, your curiosity saved us a shortcut.
The key to carving a path through life, huh?
And all the way to the grave.
Cheery thought...

At least the game didn't make us go all the way back to the start.

Naturally, we won't actually see the content of the report right now.

Music: At Dusk, I Will Think of You...

*Roxas sits down and takes out his ice cream from wherever he was keeping it*

Twilight Station Tower: 40
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 73

So, how ya feeling?
I think I'll be okay now.
That's good.
Hey, where's Axel?
I haven't seen him.

There's actually bell sounds here. I think this is one of the few times the bells actually ring.

It's getting late... I don't think he's coming.
You wanna wait a little longer?
Okay.
You and him are always there for me.
Aw, I don't do anything special. Axel's the one who sticks up for us.
Well, I'm just glad the two of you are in the Organization with me.

Another Dark Ingot? Okay then.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

No. The counter for those 30 enemies started after talking to Xigbar, and we have to complete this quest before finishing all the available missions. We can do previous missions for this, but I won't bother.

The best way to do this is to grind the Deserter missions (I like the one in Agrabah as it's closer quarters. Get down to Limit Health and let'r rip against quickly spawning enemies. You might need to do it two or three times, but it's doable.

gently caress the Final Limit challenge though, Same tactics, more tedium.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I don't know what you're talking about here. Final Limit panel is coming in just 4 more missions. We don't have to do any challenge to get it.

If you're talking about Limit Pass, I think we get it by replaying the entire game on mission mode, not challenge. It is very tedious, though

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

I don't know what you're talking about here. Final Limit panel is coming in just 4 more missions. We don't have to do any challenge to get it.

No, the challenge to kill X number of enemies using Final Limit. That's tedious.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Oh, right. That. Somehow I blocked it from my memory until now. Yeah, gently caress doing that. I won't bother doing both limit quests.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Are you ready for the second half of Neverland's gimmick?

Music: Secret of Neverland
Music: Crossing to Neverland

Since what?
Since we got to talk like this.
Has it been that long? Time sure flies. Speaking of which... Isn't this the place?

Axel: :rimshot:

Oh, yeah, this is it! Here, just watch!

So this is what it looks like when someone tries to fly but can't. I think we all agree that it looks ridiculous.

Uhh, what are you doing, Roxas?
Huh... That's so weird. I could fly before. I guess I must need that sparkly dust for it to work.
Blast it all! Not again!?

This one is kind of out-of-place. Sora's pose is exactly the same as last time, so make of that what you will.

The next to Smee is a Turquoise March, if you can't tell from the distance.

You dig and dig, and all I get is more Heartless.
They're taking up too much of me time! We need to find that treasure before someone else does.

This gives us a clearer view of the Heartless. For some reason, we'll see later that no one sees the obvious darkness emanating from Hook.

*Hook starts to leave*

Captain!? Where are you going, Captain?
Back to the ship! I'll blast these scurvy meddlers into oblivion! Then maybe I can get back to having you dig in peace.
If you say so, Captain!

*Hook and Smee leave*

What's their story?
Not sure, but they mentioned something about treasure maps last time.
So what, they're digging for buried gold? From the looks of it, all they're digging up is trouble.
Yeah. For some reason, Heartless spring up wherever they dig.
You mean Heartless are hiding in the ground?
I'm not so sure that's it.
You got a better explanation?
Look, I'm just saying. All I saw in the hole they dug was a wooden chest full of junk.
And the Heartless were in the chest?
I dunno. I think maybe something else is causing them to show up.
Like?
Didn't something seem kind of off to you about the guy in red?

See what I mean? :shrug:

Well...right now we're just guessing.
Let's start by checking the places they dug up. Who knows, maybe we'll find our targets down there taking a nap.
Yeah. Stranger things have happened.

So here we are, in a completely different area. Like before, we can't drop to the water so we have no choice but to go forward.

I'm just going to use :argh: everytime Tinkerbell does that.

Wh-what? Are you mad at me?
*nods*
Oh, because I didn't follow you to the ship before...
Hey, Roxas... Who have we got here?
*hides behind Roxas*
I'm not sure, but we met the last time I was here. I don't think she means any harm.
She's the one who helped me fly.
Yeah, I already saw your demonstration.
It's true! *faces Tinkerbell* Here, help me show him. Could you give me some more of that glowing stuff?

*Tinkerbell thinks, then sprays them both with dust*

This is Roxas' pose when flying. It's more obvious in motion.

Wha-!?
See? I told you!
How are you doing that?
I can't really describe it. Once she sprinkles you, just think, "I can fly," and boom!
"I can fly," and boom, huh?
Look, just give it a try.
All right...

I'm not feeling it, Roxas.
C'mon, try again. Believe me on this, Axel!
Okay... I believe you.

You can fly.

Roxas is way too calm for this.

*gestures*
I think she still wants me to go check out that ship.
Doesn't it belong to those guys from before? What, are they your friends?
:argh:
Apparently not. Then why is it so important we-

*They dodge the cannon*

Sadly, we don't get to see Roxas or Axel tanking a cannon to the face. Not in cutscenes, at least.

Yeeeagh!? What was that?

They're attacking us?
No... I think they've just mistaken us for Heartless.
Great...
*points to the ship before leaving*
H-hey...wait up! *starts to follow her*
Roxas! Are you nuts? Get back here.
But she-
We don't know what she's after. The mission comes first. Let's find those Artful Flyers.
Oh, all right.
Keep your eyes open. I don't want to have to scrape you off a cannonball.

So the mission starts properly now. Here's a fun activity: Guess in which mission are we going to finally not be a dick and follow Tink. Hint: It's sometime after Mission 60.

All throughout this mission, Hook will bombard us with cannons. Not the Heartless because apparently Hook is either colorblind or just can't remember the color of the Heartless (they're all blue here). 3 hits from the cannon will kill Roxas, so don't get hit. Easier said than done, though. I will be abusing this game's death system.

This box just has a Bronze. The Heartless from it is special and you'll learn to hate them, arguably as much as Turquoise Marches. These are Bubble Beats, which can heal all Heartless nearby and shoot water bubbles. Those bubbles are blockable (if you're not flying) and very slow, but they last for a long time and they follow Roxas, so it's a good chance you'll be caught off-guard by this while fighting other Heartless.

Music: Tension Rising (plays every time we fight an Artful Flyer)

No Heartless are fought to get to this box with a loving Potion. The first Artful Flyers can be found here, at least.

They're just like Aerial Masters, in that they fly to behind Roxas right before attacking, making lock-on useless. Their attacks are mostly the same as Air Battlers. They have more, but these are the ones that I have a good shot of right now.

4 Turquoise Marches are fought to get to this box with an Iron. This shot is taken after Auto-Life kicked in because I used Cura just before a cannon hit me just after Leaf Bracer ended. Since I technically died, that Cura is wasted :sigh:

Worth noting is that Bubble Beat have a lot more HP than Turquoise Marches, making them more annoying to fight. At least we can just flee from them since they can't fly (but they can walk on water). The water blast on the right is caused by the cannonball hitting that area.

Air Battlers are still here, by the way. Along with badges that can be hidden almost anywhere due to Neverland's flying mechanic. That's just another reason to add to why Neverland's gimmick is the worst.

1 Air Battler is fought to get to this box with a Panacea. This also has the second Artful Flyer.

Here's the rest of the attacks. You might think that the melee attack is new, and it might or might not be true since I got hit by something from an Air Battler earlier and I can't see whether it's caused by a melee attack or just a charging one.

1st Note: I actually died due to a cannon suddenly appearing out of nowhere Hook's ship. Thankfully, Heartless don't respawn, though they're healed back to full health while your Auto-Life, Limit, and magics are still restored. Sadly, the magic are restored only to the point of the last forced battle (which is when I initiated the battle with this Heartless). We'll die a lot in Neverland, mostly due to the cannons since it does more damage than all the Heartless here combined, but thankfully death is more beneficial than annoying. I'll still try my best not to die, though.

2nd Note: If we get hit by Air-Toss we'll drop down to the ground slowly with nothing we can do until we hit the ground. Aerial Recovery won't work this time and we can still get stunlocked if we're unlucky. Frozen is even worse, since it didn't wear off as soon as we hit the ground. If it wears off while you're still in the air, then good for you, I guess.

No Heartless are fought to get to this box with a Shining Gem.

Pictured: A normal fight with a Bubble Beat. Airballs and fireballs move fast, so we either get hit quickly or we block. Waterballs move slowly, thus we can get swarmed or even stunlocked by it. Axel is actually useful, since the enemies here are weak to fire and the bubbles can home on him instead. I guess I can forgive you now for slacking off 6 months ago.

When you see me complaining about Turquoise Marches and Bubble Beats, keep in mind that they're water-based and thus their attacks have a chance to heal them if it hits. And that Bubble Beats can heal themselves even without having their attacks hit Roxas.

Again, no Heartless are fought to get to this box with a Frost Gem. I'm pretty surprised about this.

2 Turquoise Marches are fought to get to this box. The final Artful Flyer can be found here.

I didn't say what's inside the box because I completely forgot to grab the content and just RTC immediately. Looking it up shows that it has another Potion. I don't really regret forgetting that box.

It's just a standard "Kill this Heartless" mission.

*Cannonballs rain around them*

Heh, you have to at least give them points for trying.
I wonder if she's okay...
Hmm? Oh, your tiny friend?
Yeah. Maybe we should have gone with her.

*More cannonballs rain around them*

I don't think we had much choice. We're not getting anywhere near that ship today.
Cheer up. She looked pretty determined. She'll be fine.
Yeah... I guess so.
C'mon, let's RTC.

*Axel and Roxas leave*

Really, game? You think we won't know who this is? I'll admit that I didn't expect to see Pete again after beating him in Agrabah, but still...

...Muh? That's weird... Where'd the Heartless go!?

If the game isn't going to use Pete's portrait that's readily available in this game and in fact has been used before, then I won't too.

I dunno about that...
Wow, you two sure flew through your mission.

Xion...
Sorry I'm late. I had my hands full today.

*Xion sits down and takes out her ice cream from wherever she kept it*

Twilight Station Tower: 41
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 76

So I was about to tell you, today me and Axel actually flew!
You flew?
Yeah. There's this sparkly dust that makes this possible.
I was wondering why you two looked so happy. Lucky...
What's wrong? Did something happen again?
Nah, it's nothing.

At this point, I killed 4 Heartless with Limit Breaks. Needless to say, I'm not getting that mission from Xigbar.

Let's just do this mission quickly.

Avalanche is the same as before, except it won't land with a shockwave. It also won't land if we hit it enough. I just spam Fire, since the damage here is how much a single Fire does.

Like I said, this mission can be done quickly.

But we still have to grab the goodies, like the chests with Frost Shard and...another Frost Shard. At least these are our first chests in Neverland. This means that we don't actually have to defeat the Turquoise Marches! :toot:

This badge is directly above the portal. It's really high above the portal that it's VERY easy to miss. I know we can just go back and grab it, but it can still be a pain to search this wide open area.

Twilight Station Tower: 42
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 77

Here's another fun activity: try to guess how many Turquoise Marches I killed this mission. Here's a hint: Avalanche gives 70 Hearts. Each Turquoise March gives 14 Hearts. You do have to think about the chain's bonus Hearts, however. The answer is 22.

New reports:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

First: Nice new title for the thread.

Second: :argh: :argh: NEVERLAAAAAANNNNND! :argh: :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think there's a rule that Captain Hook has to gently caress you over in every KH game after KH1 (not sure about BBS).

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 14, 2018

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

:shepface:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think there's a rule that Captain Hook has to gently caress you over in every KH game after KH1 (not sure about BBS).
In BBS he plays Terra like the chump he is, and is an antagonist for the other two paths.

Really, it was his interactions with Terra in that game that cemented my opinion that Terra was dumber than a sack of bricks. With apologies to the sack and bricks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, meant fight-wise. I remember him being a real jerk in Chain of Memories.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

In BBS he plays Terra like the chump he is, and is an antagonist for the other two paths.

Really, it was his interactions with Terra in that game that cemented my opinion that Terra was dumber than a sack of bricks. With apologies to the sack and bricks.

I think the ONLY world Terra isn't tricked in is Cinderella's world (and Disney Town, but I don't count that).

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, meant fight-wise. I remember him being a real jerk in Chain of Memories.

He's probably a jerk in the original CoM, but he's not really one on Re:CoM. Maybe it's because Re:CoM is 3D, so the boat rocking back and forth isn't that big of a problem and the barrels attack is easier to dodge.

In BBS, Hook's not that hard (by BBS standards). The arena is extremely small, but if we can just go back up quickly if we fall.

Also, some posters in the SPOOKTOBER thread have given some great title options. I'll let the thread vote on which one to use:

1. Fighting ghosts, tentacles, a grave, worms, and more! in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
2. Let's Eat Soul-Salt Ice Cream in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
3. Let's Eat Scream-Salt Ice Cream in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
4. Our memories are being eaten in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

Voting ends after I post the next update (which should be in 1-2 days).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There was also Snow White's world, but to be fair the Evil Queen wasn't even trying to hide how blatantly evil she was.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Video: Naminé and DiZ

We've seen Namine several times and Diz once, but this is their first actual speaking role. In day 224 out of 358.

A Nobody is interfering, I think.
A Nobody?
I keep trying to piece his memory back together, but what if some of the pieces got lost? There would be no way for me to finish. If that happened-and they found their way into someone else-he'd never get them back.
Oh, I think he can do without a memory or two.
But what if he needs those memories in order to wake up? What if they're the key?

I hate it when I can't finish puzzles because of that! :argh:

Namine... You are a witch with power over Sora's memories and those connected to him. Are you seeing something I cannot?
If his memories become her memories...she will never survive it.
She?

Oh yeah. DiZ is a dick toward Nobodies. Because he's a heartist and Nobodies have no heart. Until it's revealed that they actually do and he just sounds like an idiot.

Video stops here

The game isn't even trying to be subtle here. Also, there's seashells beside her pillow in the movie.

Before we start with today...

...we'll do the mission we missed first. We can just access it from Holo-Mission, which is why the rewards that unlock missions are completely useless.

You might think that this is a new kind of mission, but it's really just a "Hunt this type of Heartless" mission in disguise.

Music: Sinister Sundown

Thunder Recipe. The enemies are fairly standard, with Poison Plants being as annoying as ever. Fire works, but there's too many of them to just rely on it.

Dark Ingot. It's best to use Fire on the Poison Plants because the rest either absorb it or aren't worth wasting Fire on them. Especially when Poison Plants inflict Blind.

This is the Heartless that absorbs Fire. Tailbunker is still just a sack of HP with not-that-dangerous attacks.

Limit is amazing for these kinds of Heartless :allears:

Anyway, the Heartless we're supposed to find are Guardians. They pose absolutely no threat. Their laser that used to be damaging now just deals pitiful damage. They're guaranteed to drop a Shining Shard. You can't just drop it and then repick it to finish the mission that way, though.

I don't get why Xigbar makes us kill 30 enemies with Limit just to get to this mission. Tailbunker might be a sack of HP but it's not actually dangerous.

This is actually my first time killing a Rare Vendor :toot:

I mean, usually the prizes dropped by the vendor Heartless are insignificant, but it just felt good to kill it before it escapes.

With Glide, we can actually go up here. The Chest has a Duel Gear+ (4). I'll probably take a look at it later.

With the leftover mission done, we can move to this day proper.

I made the mistake of not bringing any Limit Recharge here. I should've brought that instead of Treasure Magnet here.

Uncover all the Heartless in Mission 52. They're hidden well! Just make sure to examine any spot that looks suspicious. Let me know when you're done so I can get Saix off my case alr-er, so I can reward you!

This is our second mission with Zero. The same mission as the fight against Lock, Shock, Barrel.

Wow, nice going! You found 'em all! Here, take this, man. (Gotta earn back some karma after pushing my work on you.) (Obtained: Dark Ingot)
Hey, even us Nobodies need our rest, right? Exhaustion kills!

This is foreboding :ohdear:

I think we all know what's going to happen. Both regarding the mission and Demyx.

Music: Olympus Coliseum
Music: Go for It!

I keep telling them I'm not cut out for this stuff...
This time we're after a specific target. Saix said it was strong.
Yeesh... Is it too late to go home? It's because I'm partnered up with you I keep getting saddled with these combat missions!

Now I'm wondering what he's doing in Radiant Garden in KH2.

Wanna split up the search ike last time?

:cripes:

Are you crazy!? And risk actually finding that thing? I'm not fighting it alone!
Then let's move out.

Obviously, we're going to put Demyx to work. His Blizzara is very effective against the Flare Notes, afterall.

There's another chest behind the Jumbo Cannon. It has a Lightning Shard while the chest that can be seen here has a Lightning Gem. Gee, I wonder if this place has a connection with lightning or something.

You might notice that my yellow bar is much lower than before. I used Limits multiple times during the fight outside, which turned out to be a huge mistake. Remember to bring Limit Recharge if you're actually playing this!

Demyx splits up 5 minutes after refusing to do just that. Can't say this is unexpected, really.

*Roxas goes inside without a word*

Big day?
Don't worry. I already got you signed up for the Games.
Now you just gotta go in there and put all that training to use!
But- All right...
(They're holding the Games today? Then the only way I can search the Coliseum is by entering.)

I would say that this is a massive coincidence, but it's actually not. This is planned.

Snap out of it, kid! I need you sharp out there. Just tell me when you're ready.

This chest has a Slot Releaser. Sadly, I can't show you the scores from the trainings since for some reason those are unavailable.

This is going to be a long mission.

Okay, head into the Coliseum. Just remember my sure-fire way to win-two words:
Never. Ever. Lose! *leaves*

Wow. That's helpful. Thanks. :geno:

You entering some kind of contest, Roxas?

Ahh, I follow you.
I wish you would.

:downsrim:

Video: Olympus Coliseum Games

This one is a pushover. Make sure to grab the Ordeal Badge now, since it won't be available in the next three rounds.

Roxas does this little pose after every round.

Round 2 can be dangerous, but the Hover Ghosts die in 1 hit by both Fire and Aero. They're also no match for the power of the mighty barrel (no, not Halloween Town's Barrel).

Striped Aria can also be killed by magic, but who needs that when we have barrels :black101:

This one has another Tailbunker. 2 of the same miniboss in one update? That's a first.

This one actually caught me off-guard and cost me my Auto-Life :negative:

I also used Limit against it in the video, but you kinda shouldn't. You want to save the limit for the final round.

Right.
I don't know much about the guy you're up against in the finals, but...
From the looks of him, I'd say he's been through a few fights. Stay sharp!

So our next opponent's not a Heartless?

I will.
You've come this far! Don't let anybody else walk outta here with your title!
Remember-I'm expectin' stuff from you, kid!
Expecting... You mean you order me to win?
Order you? What are you talkin' about?
It means I have faith you can win.
Faith...
Right. Now get out there and knock some heads!

*Roxas goes into the arena*

Huh!?

:psyduck:

Xigbar!? What are you- Don't try and tell me you're a trainee, too?
As if! I just dropped in to see how our little wannabe hero is doing. I care about your future, Roxas.
Just dropped in? You could have told me you were entering!
Try to make it look real, Roxas!

Music: Rowdy Rumble

So...yeah. We're fighting Xigbar now. The whole tournament is skipped in the movie, including this fight. There's not even the usual 1-page summary of it.

He has the usual volley of shots, which can be seen midair in the picture. Each shot just deals 1/12 damage, but he can shoot 6 in a combo. He reloads after 14 shots.

He can also teleports behind Roxas and shoots from there. He doesn't do this in the video since this is very unlikely to happen. He only teleports if we try to move further from him.

Magic is useful since it can hit Xigbar from far away (so no Blizzara) and hits half of Xigbar's bar, so 7 hit of it is enough. The fight ends after depleting 1 bar, since Xigbar isn't the actual boss here.

Music: Shrouding Dark Cloud

This is our actual boss. So basically this mission reused 2 bosses from previous games. Xigbar plays more like Braig from BBS than his KH2 fight, but still.

Those two GIFs are another ones whose size combined are too large for lpix.

Well, well... Looks like our target's here.

Hey! Forget about the match! Just find someplace safe while I go get Herc! *leaves*
Well, Roxas? Ready to show me all you've learned? *leaves*

Xigbar!!! :argh:

Guard Armor is pretty similar to its KH1 and CoM version. I don't really know about the Re:CoM version because people usually break its cards and there's no descriptions about its attacks on the wiki. The Re:Coded version doesn't count because of the completely different gameplay. I also don't count the online games.

It does have one big difference though: Most of the time we can't hit the arms or the legs. We still have to kill them before we can finish off the head, but they will only be available during a certain attack.

It has the usual jumping shockwave attack.

Unlike other versions, this one has its head fall off after jumping. You would think that this is a great opportunity to attack, but that's wrong. If the Keyblade swing hits the arms or the legs, it'll be blocked as if it hits a wall.

The next part has its body split off, with the arms and legs attacking while the body stays still. This is the only time we can hit the arms and the legs. This is also the time when the head is basically invulnerable, which I didn't know so I tried using magic on it at this time.

If an arm or leg is killed but not the other arm/leg, then it will be revived with 1 HP. That's because Guard Armor really values symmetry.

It also has this new attack, where the arms and the legs attack at once, with the arms flailing around while the legs move towards Roxas. The head is also invulnerable while it's moving.

I think you guys can see the problem with this fight: It's long and tedious with too many i-frames for all the parts.

This brings me to why I said to bring Limit Recharge and not use Limit in the previous rounds. Limits are by far the quickest way to deal damage.

I lucked out here not just by getting a chance to use it in the first place, but also by it killing the weakened arms, killing the legs from full health, and reducing the head to just half bar of HP.

After the arms and legs are down, it has one final attack. It spins around. It can be blocked easily, but it's harder to judge the distance due to the disabled minimap. Sora is messing with Roxas even if he's not actually awake :argh:

It's a pretty big downgrade from Antlion and Infernal Engine. And it's not going to improve anytime soon :negative:

This boss would be fine (aside from :effort:) if they just make it vulnerable all the time. You know, like in other games. I mean, look at this:

This one is from a failed run. Just look at all that limit with only 3 damaging hits! I pretty much just load the savestate from the beginning of the Games right after this.

Video stops here
Music: Olympus Coliseum

Not bad! Our little Roxas is growing up so fast.
Are you making fun of me?
As if! That was a compliment.

*Xigbar leaves*

I'm pretty sure this mission is rigged by Xigbar. That leaves the question of why Demyx would be paired with Roxas, but it's probably because Xigbar knew there's pretty much zero chance of Demyx actually participating.

Nice work out there, man!

Speaking of which...

I was, uh...cheering you on! Couldn't you hear me? Gimme an "R"! Gimme an-

I would definitely buy a rhythm game about Demyx being an Elite Beat Agent/OSU cheerleader. Still, you weren't helping! :argh:

Are you blind!? That wasn't part of the Games!
Right!? And what a shocker to find out Xigbar was the other finalist!

Don't try to change the subject! :argh:

Yeah...
What's up with that... I can't imagine he was here on a mission. You never can tell what that guy is thinking...
Maybe he just wanted an excuse to fight me... To test me.
No way, man! I wouldn't read into it too deep.

Demyx: After all, it doesn't make it into the movie version.

Besides, the mission's over, right? All's well that ends well, man!

Fun fact: This is our final mission with Demyx. We just have 2 optional missions and 2 mandatory missions. He ditch us in both mandatory missions :sigh:

I...guess so, but...
Anyway, I'm beat! Let's call it a day.

*Roxas and Demyx go into the portal. Phil then runs in*

Where'd it go? And where's Roxas?
Roxas? Who's that?
The new trainee you scouted! I been talkin' about him for days now.
Good learner, shows a lot of promise? Ring any bells?
Yeah, I remember what you said, but that guy I scouted wasn't named Roxas.
Huh?
And he said it would take him a while to get here. He's probably still on his way.

I refuse to believe Phil never mentioned Roxas' name once in almost 4 months.

Yeah. I breezed right through my mission.

*Roxas sits down and takes out his ice cream*

So, how'd your day go?
Ugh, you'll never believe what Xigbar did...

This sounds like something actual friends would talk about.

Hey hey. Oh, Xion, what are you doing here?

Of course, Nomura doesn't have time to write that kind of banter.

C'mon, that's not what I meant.

*Axel sits down and takes out his ice cream*

Twilight Station Tower: 43
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 80

Hey, Axel?
Uh-huh?
You've been to Castle Oblivion, right?
Yup.
What's it like?
The Organization uses it as a research facility.
Seems like people are getting sent there all the time. Especially you.
But they never send me or Roxas.

They sent Demyx there? :psypop: Also note that we never see any other member in there, so we have no idea what they do in there or how they deal with its card system. Story really isn't this game's strong point.

Well...they probably just don't need you there, that's all.
Maybe. ...... *stands up*
I gotta go.
Huh?

She would've been fine even if she fell since there's no fall damage :colbert:

No, it's nothing like that. ......
I've got it!
Huh? Got what?

I probably also should've count how many times Roxas says "Huh?" and see if it rivals Ceodore.

The beach?
What, don't you wanna go someplace different for a change?

This still comes out of nowhere.

So...it would just be the theme of us?
Yeah, exactly.
...... I'll join you...if I can.
Of course you can, Xion.
You'll have a blast, trust me.
Well...all right, sure. Let's do it.

Spoiler: They never go to the beach together.

Now that we're nearing Day 255 (the day shown at the start of the game), here's another fun activity: try to guess which mission we will have on that day. The choices are:
  • Collect Hearts
  • Kill a type of Heartless
  • Recon missions (don't bother choosing this)
  • Collect emblems
  • Destroy all globs
  • Others

New reports:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Woops, we almost had the other Organization members do something interesting there. Better remove it from the movie so no one remembers it. :v:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Woops, we almost had the other Organization members do something interesting there. Better remove it from the movie so no one remembers it. :v:
There are other Organization members in this game? I thought it was just Axel and Roxas.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

TheLoneStar posted:

There are other Organization members in this game? I thought it was just Axel and Roxas.

Of course there are! Too bad they all were killed in Castle Oblivion.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Doesn't DiZ nobly sacrifice himself at the eleventh hour death reel of KHII? I guess it'll never come up. Not that I remember the character doing anything worthwhile outside of being voiced by Sir Christopher Lee.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DiZ blows up in KHII. He got better, though, and was last seen with Aqua in the Realm of Darkness, because no one dies in Kingdom Hearts.

Except Clayton (and an assortment of other Disney villains that died in their movies).

Speaking of which, I really wonder how Sora will react to Barbossa likely being in KH3.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

We'll talk to everyone before preparing for the mission. I think we all know what this means.

If you haven't already...would you mind? Please!?

Why does Demyx need us to collect these anyway? It's not like he's involved in these missions.

Whoa! You got all the treasure chests! Thanks, man! I hate to push my luck, but, uh...Saix gave me a special mission. Think you could handle that, too? I'm sure he'd be happier to have you take it, too. Just ask him!
Who's ready for a vacation? I'm ready for a vacation.

Demyx!!! :argh:

We did some. They're so boring I need to make a Lite's Play to pad those updates.

Try out the Mission 58 Challenge for starters. Come holler once you've got at least one Challenge Sigil in it.

No thanks. I won't even bother with it now. I'll just say it now: The reward is another mission. :flaccid:

Saix has today's good news. That's rare.

The Heartless grow even more powerful. Take this, just in case.

Basically, all the Limits we've seen until now is only the first half. This panel unlocks the second half, so Limits are even stronger now! :frogin:

We're promoted to Expert rank. This also unlocks Donald for multiplayer.

New rank means new stuff from the shop.

Slot Releaser and Level Up are always useful.

I pretty much buy all of these. Quadcast does exactly what it says: Gives 4 casts to each linked magic.

I also finally buy a new ring to replace the Soldier Ring from way back when. This one pretty much has twice the stats of that ring. I also buy the Critical Ring, which boosts Crit but not Strength.

https://lpix.org/3272036/zz%20panels%202.png

There's no such thing as too much attack magic :colbert:. I used Thundara to try it out. I also changed to Duel Gear+ for its Combo Boost. I forgot to actually equip the ring I just bought, but :shrug:

We've seen Abbadon Plasma before with the regular Duel Gear, so I won't bother showing it again.

This one would be more better, but the game's just taunting me at this point.

Mission 63 is :airquote:given:airquote: by Axel and Mission 64 by Demyx.

Music: This is Halloween
Music: Spooks of Halloween Town

Waugh!

Wow. They break their promise after only 2 months. I don't think anyone's surprised here.

Run away! *runs off*
Where to? *runs off*
Our secret hiding spot! *runs off*
Rrgh... Those kids are getting to be a real pain.
And what's this about a secret hiding spot? What are they hiding?

I'm not missing anything behind the portal this time :colbert:

Really? A blue pumpkin? That's your next idea?

No doubt... You really are in fine form this year.
I've been drawing a lot of inspiration from the world around me!
Very good. Keeping an eye trained on your surroundings is critical for an inventor. Now, as you've been exploring, have you seen Oogie's three rugrats? I hear they're up to something on the outskirts of town. Any idea what it is this time?
Not a clue...
Sally said she spotted them the other day... Bah, she must have imagined it. She's always been a worrywart.

Spoiler: Sally doesn't appear in this game.

Blizzard Recipe and Blizzara Recipe. The blue pumpkins are pretty much just the ice version of the normal pumpkin bombs.

Blazing Gem. This Hover Ghost actually spawns normally, unlike most Emblem Heartless here. Probably because we're not collecting Hearts.

The hole we blew up last time is still here, but let's go the normal route and see what's there.

...Oh. :ohdear:

This is when I tried Thundara. I thought that it will be good since it hits a wide area. Turns out hitting a wide area means that it has very little chance of actually hitting the Heartless. Verdict: It's garbage. Use Thunder instead.

Note to self: Be careful when using the blue bombs. Fortunately, Heartless don't respawn after dying. Apparently bombs don't, too. Magic does, though, so I regain all that Thundara I used :geno:

Here's the full limit in action. it's basically just like Roxas' combo in his KH2 fight, except the light and hits are done separately. We can't see the others' full version without playing as them in Mission Mode.

There's 20 Hover Ghosts with 5 spawning at a time. The chest just has a Blizzara Recipe. It's a harsh punishment for daring to come here.

Silver and Silver. We're moving up through the synthesis material ranks!

Oh, we need to light up the lanterns here. It's just like last mission.

This opens the door to Boneyard 2. Couldn't they come up with more creative names for these Boneyards? I know these are also their name in KH1, but still...

Gust Gem and Thunder Recipe. Inside the balloon we have...

...our target! We don't even need Zero this time.

It has exactly the same attacks as Hover Ghosts.

Their possess attack has a light element instead of flower. Light-elemental attacks can cause Zap, which disables the minimap. This comes up very rarely since Roxas has automatic anti-light ability. Damage received are still the same, though. I didn't think it would actually happen in the main story.

Another thing to note about Carrier Ghosts is that they will rise every time we hit it until eventually they're too high to reach. After being left alone for a while, they will teleport near Roxas to do one of their attacks, which will bring them to the ground and restart this process.

Honestly, the Hover Ghosts fight is much harder than this, since Blizzara to the face is still an effective strategy here. As we're exiting Boneyard 2...

We see these three shaking in the face of an unknown being. We'll meet this being in like 7 minutes.

For now, we'll examine these spots to expose the hidden Heartless. What, you thought just because the ghosts are in plain sight that means we don't have to examine anything? That's techincally true, but there's a prize for getting examining all locations.

No, I don't know how you're supposed to find out about these spots without Zero. At least the prize is poo poo (it's another mission).

Duel Gear+'s two-hit aerial combo is actually useful since it will actually stagger these Snowy Crystals. They're immune against both thunder and aero, by the way, so the only magic that can be used against them is fire.

After we finish everything and go back to the portal...

This is the tentacle I mentioned in the previous thread title. We already see the ghosts while the grave part is coming up pretty soon.

This is Tentaclaws' only attack. They're rooted in place, so we can just move away and snipe at them with Magic. I don't know how rooted creatures can sneak up behind Roxas.

Hmm, I'd better tell Saix about this.

Xion?
Oh, sorry. I guess I'm just tired.
You wanna sit down?
No, I'm gonna go. See you later. *leaves*
Okay...

Why did you even bother coming, then?

Hey, Axel.

*Axel, unlike Xion, actually sits down and takes out his ice cream*

Twilight Station Tower: 44
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 82

Where's Xion?
She left.
Hmm...
She's been acting kind of weird, lately, don't ya think?
Maybe she's not feeling well.
She'll be okay. Don't stress it.
If you say so.
Hope we get some more vacation soon. We could all use that trip to the beach.
Right...

You know that you can just eat ice cream at the beach instead, right?

Where is it?

This seems interesting, which is why we won't see what it's about.

At least the Hover Ghosts marathon gives plenty of Hearts.

Emerald Serenade is a very special enemy. The mission to kill them is basically a special kind of mission.

Music: Rowdy Rumble

Of course Turquoise Marches are here. Why wouldn't they be? The chests has a Gear Component C and Aerora Recipe. Yeah, there's a C version of Gear Components.

Emerald Serenades have no attacks whatsoever. All they do is move around in circles, getting faster as their HP get lower.

Blizzara is basically the perfect answer to them. Just make sure to cast it well before it arrives, since with low HP it will move past Roxas as he's casting.

Axel tried to cast Fire, Fira, and Firaga. None of them hits the Emerald Serenade.

A Megalixir Recipe? :aaa:

New reports:

At least Roxas is smart enough not to buy Axel and Xion's excuses.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Where is it?

This seems interesting, which is why we won't see what it's about.

I love this sequence in the manga. It turns out that this isn't Xion being Solid Snake here. You see, this is Saix's computer, and as it turns out, he's horrible at information security. Demyx has his password and has been going into Saix's computer to cheat on his reports, and he's in the middle of doing this when Xion comes up. Demyx hides, but leaves the computer unlocked and open, which is how Xion is able to get this information.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

I love this sequence in the manga. It turns out that this isn't Xion being Solid Snake here. You see, this is Saix's computer, and as it turns out, he's horrible at information security. Demyx has his password and has been going into Saix's computer to cheat on his reports, and he's in the middle of doing this when Xion comes up. Demyx hides, but leaves the computer unlocked and open, which is how Xion is able to get this information.

:same: The manga really does more goofy (not Goofy) stuff with the other members. Makes them a lot more prominent than in the game (remember last time Xaldin appears?).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alternatively, Xion just searched up her KHWiki article. :v:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I feel like something is different here.

Music: Organization XIII

It's been a while since we last see this room. And since we last see Xemnas, for that matter.

And Namine?
Still missing, sir.
Missing indeed. Wherever could she be?
Why, Xigbar... It almost sounds as though you know.
Hmph.
What else?

That leaves the question of how Xion gets access to it. The manga did this part a lot better.

"Somebody"? Are we all gonna pretend we don't know who? Little Poppet is turning into a problem-and I think you catch my meaning.
Nonsense. I see no problem whatsoever.
Ha ha! Well no, apparently you don't!
Something you find amusing?
If people see with their hearts, Saix, then you're even blinder than the rest of us.

Xigbar is great, even if he did ditch us twice :allears:

Our plans remain unchanged.
Axel, Roxas, and Xion will play the roles Kingdom Hearts has chosen for them.
But sir, Xion... If we don't take steps-
Take steps? How can you not see how perfect this is?
Xion is marching right into the arms of destiny. The only steps we need take are two: watch...and wait.

This is just what's been missing in this game: cryptic talks :sora:

New Music: Strange Whispers

*Xion has a flashback*

I guess a white tint isn't the worst choice for a flashback.

*flashback ends*

What are you...doing here...?
Orders. Nothing to do with you. I'm not sure what you thought you'd find in an empty place like this.
Don't lie to me! I know this is where I come from! The answers are here.
Weren't you given some other mission?
You can't just throw orders to the wind, Xion.
Or else what? They'll turn me into a Dusk?
Not even a Dusk. They'll skip right past that and destroy you outright.
Because I'm useless?
No, I didn't say that.
Turn around and go home, Xion.
Axel, I'm remembering things... About who I was.

Axel is a prime candidate for Friend of the Year award.

I have dreams every night. You're in them, Axel!
Then they sure ain't memories. How could I be part of your past? Use your head, Xion.
You can't fool me. We've met before, Axel, right here in this castle!

Xion: You keep warping out of my Sonic Blade! I don't even know what that is!

Have not. Go home, Xion. Don't keep Roxas waiting.

Great comeback.

Please, Axel, just...help me! I need to know who I am. *starts to run*
Hey-stop! Xion, stay out of there!

Axel: Don't go there! Your CP is nowhere near enough to survive!

Naturally, the first thing we do today is ignore everything that just happened and go on a mission with Xion.

We don't even need magic for today's mission.

Aero Recipe and Diamond. As with other globs missions, the Heartless here are all Pureblood.

Aero Recipe and Diamond again.

Massive Possessors aren't a threat anymore. This is a situation where Thundara is actually pretty useful. Still not going to be using it for much longer, though.

Cure recipe.

Really, this mission is boring. There's pretty much nothing special about this one.

Hi-Potion. No, this is definitely not special.

Oh. That works. The Gust Crystal in the chest is okay, I guess, being the next step in the synthesis items. I'm actually talking about the Lurk Lizard.

By the way, remember when I mentioned that the AI can't do Final Limits? Apparently, that's completely false. They will do it if we equip our Final Limit. Xion's is still exactly the same as Roxas'.

We can make Phantom Gear+ now, but I won't do it now.

Luxord is the only one we can talk to now, so let's do today's mission.

If you pick "Kill this type of Heartless" for today's mission, you're right!

That's ALL our missions with you so far.

Let's hope things go as smoothly this time around.
Heh. Don't tempt fate. You'll send Lady Luck running with talk like that.

I don't think that will happen. After all, Lady Luck isn't here anymore. It's probably in Castle Oblivion after Sora left it there.

We're back to the Heartless that actually gives Hearts this time. Moving on to Queen's Castle...

Are they still searching for the Heartless we took out last time?
You might say they'll look for absolutely nothing until they find it.

Unless, of course, they decide to look for the new shadow that's appeared. But that seems unlikely to me, does it to you?
Wait... The next maze? There's more than one?

Yes... :(

Oh, didn't you know? Here, a maze is a maze of mazes.
Isn't that amazing!? *disappears*
He's gone...
Not quite. I've one more quick quip. If four new switches you trip...the new shadow unzips!
A "new shadow," is it? Hmm...
Let's check the maze for those switches, Roxas.
Right.

Luxord still refuses to talk in the cat's presence.

The gang are all here.

The chest with Air Slide (5) is also here. The card guarding the second maze, however, is not. The card guarding the first maze is back here, though.

Yeah, this maze spans two screens :negative:

This card won't let up their watch, so we can't go here. They probably don't want to end up like their peers that guarded the White Rose Hedge Maze.

That leaves three...

So that's what the lights are for. This is similar to what we did in KH1, except that one requires magic and has no stealth.

Cura Recipe. This maze is more annoying than the second because we have to wait longer in the card's cycle to get past them. Examining a switch resets the cycle, so I had to wait even longer for them.

Diamond. This card has a pattern that's hard to recognize. If we get caught, we get the same dialog as last time before getting kicked back to the last switch. Not the area transition. Good thing I have savestates :v:

This card is the one that yawns, reducing their field of vision.

Cura Recipe. Thankfully, I don't think we can get caught in here despite the red area appearing.

Two to go.

There's two paths forward. Going east has a card with a harder path.

Going north has cards with easier path, but with 2 of them.

We have to wait for the second card here to yawn to get this treasure. There's something in the east path too; I'll get it later.

Hi-Potion. This card yawns, but even with that there's still no room for us to sneak past them.

Just one more.
Oh no! I forgot the assembly!

This card jumping in surprise is great :allears:

At least until you realize why exactly they jump in surprise :thermidor:

Ack! If I'm late again, the Queen! *runs off*

My guess is they're headed to see that queen of theirs.
Heh heh, it seems the house here is a stickler for rules.

This removes ALL cards from the maze :toot:

All spots that were formerly occupied by a card now has Heartless instead. We can technically ignore them, but I still kill them anyway :black101:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to find this badge. This was the one thing in the eastern path.

I killed so many Heartless that I collected 18 items already, even after I used up the Hi-Potion.

That should be all of them.

That pose is getting used a lot.

Now the lights are lit, the shadow's permit to come out and play. "Hooray!" I say.
I don't see any shadow.
Well, the lights aren't lit here. They're lit over there.
Over where!? ...Never mind, I know you won't tell us.
Oh, but today's the day I might. Today's the day to say your job's to look in the room with the napping knob. *disappears*

That's a nice hint. Off to the Bizarre room we go!

Music: Destiny's Force

Honestly, Novashadow really isn't interesting.

It has the same attacks as Neoshadows. It's basically to Neoshadows what Dark Follower is to Darksides.

At least we get to see Luxord's Final Limit and his actual minigame.

If you're wondering why it says I only got 6 chests, turns out that if you toss out an item from the chest instead of consuming it, it won't count toward the stats and will be back in its chest next time we do the mission. So there's no way to miss the Slot Releasers/abilities/etc. I just found out about this.

Yeah. Let's.

Goddammit! :argh:

Music stops
Video: Why the Sun Sets Red

I know something's different! Why were you trying to hide today's real title? (This isn't actually shown today).

You're early.

No, you're just late.

I pretty much just copied and pasted the movie from the second update.

What's that about?
It's been that many days since I first joined the Organization. Man, time flies.
So, you got the number memorized, do ya?

Music: Roxas
Yeah. Have to hang onto something, right? It's not like I have memories from before the Organization. Don't you remember? I acted like a zombie.

This song plays really rarely, unlike in the movie.

Right, that first week you could barely form a sentence.

Twilight Station Tower: 45
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 84

Oh, thanks!
*laughs*
Hey, Roxas. Bet you don't know why the sun sets red.

That's still not red. Honestly, when I said about Daybreak Town last time I didn't know that it actually exists in KHX. Also, even in Daybreak Town the sky is definitely not red.

And out of all those colors, red is the one that travels the farthest.
Like I asked! Know-it-all.

*time passes*

I'm sure Axel knows.

Music stops
Video stops here

I'm not sure she's gonna show today.
Did she collapse again?
She...

Axel: She just went inside Castle Oblivion's top floor without arranging her decks. I'm not sure she has any sleights.

...What, didn't you hear? She got sent on a really important mission. Pretty cool, huh?
Oh... So when's she coming back?
Well, I guess that depends on how well she does her job, right?
Heh, fair enough.

Huh. She actually survived. Maybe she used Riku's Castle Oblivion deck.

Then...I'm not... The person I was before...wasn't me.

We got a LV Tripler! :toot: It does exactly what it says.

New reports:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 22, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Xigbar dunking on everyone is the best part of Kingdom Hearts.

Prove me wrong.

1234567890num posted:

You keep warping out of my Sonic Blade! I don't even know what that is!

You will. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 22, 2018

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Xigbar dunking on everyone is the best part of Kingdom Hearts.

Prove me wrong.
QFT.

quote:

You will. :v:
Which is weird, because it's Strike Raid that's becoming Sora's signature move, not something he copied of off Cloud.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

As much as I love Xigbar being a coy rear end in a top hat, with the revelation that all three people in that room are Xehanort has it make no sense. Shouldn't all three of these guys be on the exact same wavelength?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, Saix was still plotting shenanigans with Axel at this point, so he probably hasn't turned yet.

Or, more plausibly, Nomura didn't come up with that twist yet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

TheLoneStar posted:

As much as I love Xigbar being a coy rear end in a top hat, with the revelation that all three people in that room are Xehanort has it make no sense. Shouldn't all three of these guys be on the exact same wavelength?

Wait wait wait hold the loving phone

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wait wait wait hold the loving phone

What?

(One of) Xheanort's big plan(s) includes taking over 12 other people - including himself in the past to be one person wielding the 13 Keyblades of Darkness required to forge the X-Blade (that's the Greek Chi there, not an X). It is revealed in KH3 (thanks to the trailers) that these 13 people were originally intended to be the Organization XIII*, and that after this game and before KH3, he succeeds in taking over Xigbar and Saix.

The fandom calls this "Being Norted". Xigbar is also a willing participant in this, while all indications are that Saix is not.

*When he introduces the "Real Organization XIII" in one of the KH3 trailers, it's Goofy who calls him out on trying plans that have already failed, and reusing the name.