Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

1234567890num posted:

You're in luck! Next update is pretty much a showcase of the different ways Axel is being a really lovely friend.

Are you sure you won't run into the character limit by trying to stuff it all into one update? ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Alternate title for today: "Axel is a lovely Friend"

Music: Sacred Moon

Tell me what choice is left, now that Xion has had contact with that man in the black coat. *leaves*

...... *leaves*

Well, that was awkward.

On a lighter news, I somehow managed to fit everything I need :toot:

What? No!
You saw the creature consorting with that impostor. What more evidence do we need?
That's not evidence! Who knows why she was with him? *looks at Axel*

Axel is a lovely friend, exhibit A: Axel snitching on his best friend.

I think we all know, and you just don't want to accept it.
He might be forcing her.
Ha! Spare me your repulsive displays of would-be sentiment.
It's not a display! Why is it such a crime to give each other the benefit of the doubt?
The impostor has resurfaced in Twilight Town. Go and destroy him Roxas-like I expected you to do yesterday.
Rrgh...
Axel, you bring Xion back. Gagged and tied up, for all I care.
If that proves to be too troublesome, then you are authorized to adopt a more permanent solution.
What? Saix, no!
Get going.

It's your own fault. Not entirely, but still a significant part.

You're not actually gonna follow those orders?
Relax. I'll think of something clever once I find her.

:roflolmao:

You just worry about yourself, huh? That guy in the coat didn't look like the type to go down without a fight.
I know.

If killing the impostor is so important then maybe Saix should've sent more than one person. He should've sent...I don't know...everyone?

In the manga, during last mission Axel and Roxas are accompanied by Xigbar, Xaldin, Demyx and Luxord. And even with 6 of them they STILL fail to catch him. That'll show that the impostor is VERY Dangerous. (Yeah, I know they're just coincidentally there and not sent by Saix, but still...)

Music: Lazy Afternoons
Music: Sinister Sundown

Also, this mission would've been a great chance to put like a 4-person mission, considering that the Organization should be on very high alert right now. Alas, this game squanders that chance... :(

Fire Recipe and Heartless.

Tricky Monkeys no longer die instantly by deflecting their hit. That's something, I guess...

There's plenty of Mega-Shadows in the Sandlot. They die very quickly with Fire :black101:

But...who was that guy with her? Why didn't she try to get away from him?

Music: Tension Rising

*The figure runs away*

Wait!

This time we have a new type of bomb Heartless.

They're the same as the others, except that they create a vortex that tries to suck Roxas when doing their countdown. Glide works well to avoid it. Or we can just tank the explosion to the face since we've done that a lot.

There's still no HP bar for the impostor, but we're not being blocked anymore. Which means that this isn't Riku.

Otherwise, this mission is the same as last one. Chase the impostor around until they warp to a corner.

Fira Recipe and Gear Component D. Fun fact: We still have no Firaga Recipe, so we can't get more Firaga than the one we have right now.

Eventually we cornered the impostor. Not that it matters since she can just make a portal.

Music stops
Video: Xion's Capture

The impostor removes her hood.

I think Roxas is one of the few people who can see the face of someone wearing the coat.

Where have you been? Axel and I have been looking for you.
You have? Sorry.
Let's go home. If you come back voluntarily,

I don't care what he said to you. I'll be there. Me and Axel will make sure-

*Xion takes a step back*

I really can't.
Why not? Come on...

*A brief period of silence before Xion tries to run away*

There's a sound of a Keyblade being summoned.

Suddenly, a chakram appears.

Luckily, Xion equipped Block.

Axel is a lovely friend exhibit B: sneak-attacking his best friend immediately.

Music: Face It (It's a song from Re:CoM. For some reason I can't extract it)
Axel?

*Xion begins to fight Axel*

No, wait!

Roxas just doesn't know what's going on anymore.

His two friends continue to fight each other.

Eventually Roxas screams.

Which stops Xion in her tracks.

Which in turn gives Axel an opportunity to smack her in the back. Axel is a lovely friend, exhibit C: he doesn't think about his best friends' feelings (this one is understandable for Nobodies, I'll give him that).

Oh, by the way, remember when Axel said he'll think of something clever? Yep. Real clever there :downsbravo:

Xion...

Music stops

Axel leaves through the portal. Why Xion didn't just do that instead of running away earlier is a mystery.

Axel is a lovely friend, exhibit D: he doesn't even try to explain himself to his best friend and just leaves him without a word.

And thus, Roxas is left alone. But we're not done yet with the exhibition! :buddy:

Where is she?
Safe.
How could you do that to her?
Do what?
You didn't have to use force.
Didn't I?
No... Of course not! We're supposed to be best friends.
This isn't about friendship.

*Axel leaves*

(If that's all!?)

Axel is a lovely friend, exhibit E: do I even need to explain this one? I mean, even if he didn't have a heart, he should at least be able to emulate being friends. He did have a best friend before becoming a Nobody, after all.

...Oh wait, said friend is Saix. That explains most of his behavior. Doesn't make him any less lovely, though :argh:

Music: Crossing the Finish Line

Notice how both in this and last mission we have no Mission Complete prompt. And for both cases the mission gauge is empty.

New reports:

This is why talking is important to friends. Roxas with Xion is kinda understandable since they're not really in touch with each other lately, but Axel never even tried.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know Nomura hates interacting with humans, but it's kind of weird how basically every game he's written has this exact interaction between two best friends. I've never played BBS, but I'm going to assume the trio falls apart because Terra starts pulling this very bullshit.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've never played BBS, but I'm going to assume the trio falls apart because everyone starts pulling this very bullshit.

FIFY. But yeah, just being able to sit down and talk for five minutes could have resolved about 95% of BBS's 'plot', while this game at least has the excuse that Axel had forgotten how to properly socialize while Roxas and Xion never knew in the first place so they're all botching it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know Nomura hates interacting with humans, but it's kind of weird how basically every game he's written has this exact interaction between two best friends. I've never played BBS, but I'm going to assume the trio falls apart because Terra starts pulling this very bullshit.

Ven refuses to talk to anyone about Vanitas more or less outright saying that someone (Xehanort) is going to do something bad to Terra, Aqua just becomes incredibly hostile out of nowhere on Radiant Garden about Terra giving in to darkness or some poo poo despite seeing nothing compelling on her journey, and Terra is... basically just an even more gullible Anakin Skywalker.

Also, Eraqus flunks Terra for not keeping his darkness in check, even though what happens during the exam is

- Xehanort puts dark aura thing on Terra.
- Terra notices and suppresses it.
- Fight continues without no further problems.

Basically, everyone in BBS was as dumb as they needed to be for things to end badly.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know Nomura hates interacting with humans

How do you know this? Still, that explains a LOT of problems with this game and BBS's plot.

That still leaves another question: why does he even write a game about friendship if he hates interaction? :psyduck:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

1234567890num posted:

How do you know this? Still, that explains a LOT of problems with this game and BBS's plot.

That still leaves another question: why does he even write a game about friendship if he hates interaction? :psyduck:

I've never heard about Nomura dislikes interacting with people, I've seen poo poo like him and Kojima being drinking buddies.

Like there's this

quote:

Despite the long hours needed to complete such high-profile projects as Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy VII Remake, Nomura says his love of creation keeps him going. I don’t get fatigued by that at all. It’s really fun for me to do,” he says. “I actually don’t like human relationships more than just work, so I just want to focus on work and creating things, if I don’t have to deal with human relationships. It’s actually a little bit easier for me to do than not working.” Still, he says, he owes a lot to his fans. “I do need fans to play my games, to be able to create it,” he says, “and so fans are definitely a factor to motivate me to keep on going.”

Which is saying he's someone who prefers working to people,

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, I was hyperbolically paraphrasing that quote. Though when I read it, it was next to this one, which does make Nomura come off as a weirdo:

quote:

“I actually don’t sympathize or empathize with Sora at all,” Nomura says. Instead, he relates to the game’s mysterious villains, Xehanort or likely Ansem, anyone who’s fallen prey to their dark natures. “I think I’m closer to those characters, so Sora is like my enemy,” he says. “How I always think of him is I would unleash my attacks on him"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, I was hyperbolically paraphrasing that quote. Though when I read it, it was next to this one, which does make Nomura come off as a weirdo:

He's Chuuni as gently caress.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Onmi posted:

Which is saying he's someone who prefers working to people,

That kinda explains why he wrote Axel as this extremely loyal member of Organization XIII, doing his job even if it means killing his coworkers or ruining his friendship.

quote:

“I actually don’t sympathize or empathize with Sora at all,” Nomura says. Instead, he relates to the game’s mysterious villains, Xehanort or likely Ansem, anyone who’s fallen prey to their dark natures. “I think I’m closer to those characters, so Sora is like my enemy,” he says. “How I always think of him is I would unleash my attacks on him"

So this is why he basically invalidates everything Sora has done up until DDD and create 13 versions of the game's mysterious villain :ms:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Video: Axel and Saïx
Music: Organization XIII

You're just doubting this now? :cripes:

I never expected you to question it. If you could save one of them...why would you choose to save the puppet? Or put it this way.
Which would you rather suffer the loss of: some make-believe friendship, or a real one?

Yeah, yeah. We get it, Saix. You're jealous of Axel's friendship with Roxas and Xion. Although that has been severely damaged.

Things are finally right again. Of course we're better of this way. Xemnas is exasperated from all the "fixing" we've had to do. We have to set things right. There is simply too much on the line... Lea.

He actually used Axel's original name! :supaburn:

Video stops here

*Xaldin leaves, Roxas looks for someone else to ask*

I wasn't aware she had returned.
So you haven't seen her around?
That is generally what "wasn't aware she had returned" means, yes. *leaves*

You know, Luxord, if you kept that up you might not have been the most forgettable member of the Organization.

Doesn't anybody know what happened to her? Unless HE does.

Saix? Axel? Xigbar?

Oh, it's Xemnas. I'm genuinely surprised by this. He's been such a non-entity (:downsrim:) until this point. This is, like, his 8th appearance?

I need to ask you something.
And what would that be?
What happened to Xion? Can you tell me?
Put your mind at ease. Xion is a valued member of the Organization, but she needs her rest.

Translation: Have you checked her room?

Music stops

Flashback to events that happened a very long time ago.

Who is Sora?
He's the connection.
The what?
He is what makes you and Xion part of each other's lives. Just as he is the reason I placed Xion among our number. And if you want her to stay that way, I must insist you get your mind off these needless distractions. I will have Xion return to her duties tomorrow. Today, you must focus on yours.
All right.

Good for you, Roxas :golfclap:

Our panels are pretty much the same as before.

It's about time you had a reasonable weapon. Come show me once you have one with four or more units installed.

See above.

Now that's a weapon. Looks like you're keeping up with the curve. Here. I was worried you'd gone soft now that a certain someone's back, but you're doing okay. (Obtained: Gold)
I bet you're relieved to have Poppet home, eh?

If Nobodies can't have feelings, how can they be relieved?

Xemnas is basically a big :iiam:

:argh:

Wow. Globs. What an interesting mission :rollseyes:

Music: Secret of Neverland
Music: Crossing to Neverland

This is a filler. This mission could've been optional and nothing of value would've been lost. In fact, there's an optional mission later that should've been mandatory.

Oh well, at least we can actually visit the ship now.

And since this is Neverland, there's going to be plenty of Turquoise Marches. I'm not going to bother counting them this time since there's nothing to examine (thus they can be ignored). They die in 2 combos, so magic isn't necessary for them.

There's also a Rare Vendor. Thundaga still kills it in one shot.

Fun fact: When I played this game initially, I do all missions in order, so I only got 1 Thundaga from the mission reward. That's why I didn't use it in my previous playthrough. I'm so glad I didn't made that same mistake for this LP.

Blizzara is still very good, though. Thundaga might be stronger, but it has a noticeable delay.

I said that we can visit the ship, but this is as far as we can go. That's right, the only places we can go to are the Captain's Cabin and the Deck.

Frost Crystal. Wavecrests are here too, I guess. Thundaga works well against them. They're immune to blizzard and aero.

What can I say, really? The mission is so simple. We can reach all globs without magic since we can, you know, fly.

Curaga Recipe. Fun fact: The story about Thundaga I mentioned earlier also applies to Curaga. And Blizzaga (which we'll get later). I'm not actually torn up about Curaga, though. We'll see later about Blizzaga since I pretty much never used it.

And we're now done. There's a grand total of 7 globs in this mission, which is only half of the amount in other missions. Even the developers know that globs are boring.

Music: Organization XIII

This is Saix teleporting into the room. This has been brought up earlier, but what the gently caress does Xemnas even do everyday?

Are you certain we've taken suitable measures with Xion and Roxas?
I will admit, Xion has strayed from our original designs.
But this unpredictable behavior is proving to have an interesting side effect.
Really?
We wanted the Key.
Xion's exposure to Roxas effected a transfer of its power, just as we had hoped. Had things stopped there, Xion would have been an unequivocal success. But then, through Roxas, Sora himself began to shape "it" into "her," giving Xion a sense of identity. I was ready to scrap the whole project... Then, it occured to me: Xion is keeping Sora's memories trapped by claiming them as her own. Keeping her close to Roxas will prevent Sora from ever waking.

Wow, that's extremely clear of you. Granted, half of them are stuff we've heard from Namine, but still.

I see. And what do you want to do about the impostor in black?
That gadfly? See that he stays away from Roxas. He only poses a threat if his buzzing reaches Xion's ears.

Does Xemnas even knows that Saix has sent Roxas to a mission involving the impostor twice?

Then we are back on track.

Meanwhile, just outside the castle...

Riku stands on top of the skyscraper. What he's doing here is a mystery :iiam:

Xion, meanwhile, is in her room. Or at least it looks like her room and not the prison Kairi was in.

Another Glide LV+ means that we're going to get a bigger Glide panel. It's also going to have an awkward shape to deal with.

New report:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 12, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, if Xemnas doesn't want Roxas thinking about Sora, why tell him about Sora in the first place? :psyduck:

I love how Roxas gets increasingly sick of Axel's poo poo as the game goes on.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Holy gently caress,

I can't believe I forgot this!

Xenmas had two entire conversations without mentioning DARKNESS. What the hell!?!?!? How did I forget that?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So after beating DDD and getting a rundown of Xehanort's future schemes, I have some questions about Norting and the Xehanorts' actual goals. Some DDD spoilers to follow, if anyone cares about that.

Xemnas and Ansem (the one who isn't DiZ) are Terra's Nobody and Heartless, but he was Norted back in BBS and is basically dead outside of the echo you fight as a bonus boss in the KH2 remixes, yeah? So both Xemnas and Ansem have been full Xehanorts for quite some time. Xemnas has returned as a human by the time of DDD, while Ansem is somehow simultaneously trapped and subdued inside Riku's heart and a free-roaming member of the True Organization, which means that three instances of Terra's heart exist in the world at his point, but whatever.

Xigbar also shows up as a human in DDD, and he's been Norted and has golden eyes, but also retains his own personality. He refers to this as being a "half-Xehanort," and it's implied that the founding members of the Organization were planning this all along, which means the same has happened or will happen to Xaldin, Vexen, Lexaeus and Zexion. That's eight Xehanorts counting the original, who only existed in DDD because of time travel shenanigans, but who will definitely be around in KH3 again.

So Xehanort's original scheme was to Nort the OG Organization, but it turns out some of them were poor candidates, and at least Axel escaped while the others are still MIA, except for Saïx who was revealed as a Xehanort in a shocking twist. Roxas was particularly important to the Organization because he was the ideal vessel for... something. I wanna say the original Xehanort, but as I understand it, he's alive and well in Terra/Xemnas. I feel like he was set up to be Terra 2.0, and that this was somehow important.

So the thing that puzzles me at this point is, how much of this does Axel actually know? He joined the Organization alongside Saïx, who clearly has a much better idea of what Xemnas is up to than anyone else. The only way Axel's character remotely makes sense in this game is that he's completely unaware of the big scheme, in spite of half the Organization, including his best friend, being in on it, and he himself being a scheming super sleuth who's always two steps ahead of his supposed allies. He did betray and kill Zexion and Vexen, which only makes sense if he knew what the Organization was up to and had an exit strategy he just never effected or shared with Roxas and Xion, but Lea in DDD very much seems like he had no idea what was going on and only came back to life without being Norted through sheer dumb luck.

I guess what I'm saying is that Axel is a real lovely friend on the surface, but if you dig a little deeper, he might actually be the worst friend in the universe. And also that KH's plot makes zero goddamn sense from both a metaphysical and narrative point of view.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 11, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Xemnas is quite possibly still a Nobody in the process of becoming human. Riku does not have Ansem in his heart anymore, as I recall, due to the deus ex machina at the end of KH2.

Roxas was ideal because he could use the Keyblade or something.

Axel (and, for that matter, Saix) know nothing of Xehanort's plans at this point, as far as I'm aware. Saix seemingly gets roped in by Xemnas sometime after Axel defects in KH2 given how he is still trying to get Axel to do things to boost his station in this game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I guess that makes enough sense. Ansem being alive and showing up in person to hassle Riku isn't much more of a leap than Xemnas doing the same thing to Sora.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

basically dead

Axel escaped while the others are still MIA, except for Saïx who was revealed as a Xehanort in a shocking twist.

I guess what I'm saying is that Axel is a real lovely friend on the surface, but if you dig a little deeper, he might actually be the worst friend in the universe. And also that KH's plot makes zero goddamn sense from both a metaphysical and narrative point of view.

Don't you know that NO ONE is permanently dead in KH? Even the one who's forgotten is still around.

The rest of the founding members aren't really MIA. The rest (beside Xemnas and Xigbar) all woke up in their human form along with Axel. They only appear in that one scene, with Zexion/Ienzo having the honor of being in a second scene in DDD.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Axel is the worst friend in KH. I think that honor goes to either Saix or Aqua. (I'm not counting Terra or Ventus because they're dumb)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, I was reading up on the wiki and it turns out that even Ansem (the DiZ one) is still around in two incarnations, despite dying on-screen in an explosion. One chilling in Sora's heart along with all the dead main characters from prequels, and another who's hanging on the beach of darkness where folks like Riku and Aqua went after getting eaten by darkness.

I'll take your word on Aqua, but I wouldn't call Saïx a bad friend because I'm not sure he counts as a friend in the first place. Axel at least goes through the motions.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I wouldn't call Saïx a bad friend because I'm not sure he counts as a friend in the first place. Axel at least goes through the motions.

Touché.

Here's another challenge update. This should be the last one until we finished the story.

tl;dr: :shepicide:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Not much difference from last time, really.

There's no one to talk to, so we'll go straight to the mission.

Music: Crossing to Neverland

Caught you!
And there's those guys.

You can't see it, but the sack Smee's holding is shaking.

Serves you right for buzzing about in me business! Planning to interfere with me treasure hunt, were you? Well, change of plans!
Smee! We're returning to the ship.
I'm right behind ya, Captain! There there, now, Miss Bell. Be a good little pixie for us, won't you?

*Hook and Smee leave, bringing Tinkerbell with them*

Is Tinkerbell a pixie or a fairy?

Tinker Bell? Is that her name? They caught her!? I have to help her! But...she doesn't really have anything to do with the mission. ......
So what. I'm going. She helped me fly before. And all I did was keep blowing her off. I can worry about today's mission once I know she's safe.

Good on you, Roxas, for being a much better friend than Axel.

Well, not like we can do anything else right now. We can't fly yet, if you're wondering. So we go to the ship.

But Captain, are ya sure ya want to tear it up like that?
Aye, we checked this one the other day. It's worthless!
If you say so, sir.
Set a course, Mr. Smee! Take us to the next treasure spot!
A-aye, aye, Captain...
Sounds like they're inside.

We've done a good bit of digging already, and all we've found is pieces of junk and them Heartless creatures.
Stop whining, Smee, and think! Why were there so many maps? I'll tell you why. Whoever buried the treasure made fake maps to lead me astray and protect the real hiding spot!
Oh! Then one of these maps is sure to be the real one, right?
Aye, and the only way to know which it is is to follow them all!
The HEartless must have been planted at the marked spots as guard dogs.

How does absolutely no one notice this?

Now, get a move on, Smee!
Aye, aye, Captain!

*Hook and Smee leave*

Hmph. Let her get acquainted with her new home-that lamp. Look lively, Mr. Smee!

*Hook and Smee leave, for real this time*

So we go inside the cabin.

*Roxas opens the lantern*

You can take care of yourself from here, right? I should get going.

Huh? Is there something else?
*moves to the table and points there*

This must be a piece of that map they were talking about. He really shredded it.
*gestures*
Um... Sorry, but I don't know what you're trying to tell me.
:argh:

I don't see any map. Is this an emulator problem? :confused:

(Hmm... Everywhere they dug, Heartless popped out. And they've been digging based on these maps... Maybe I'll find more Heartless if I check these spots.) Hey, could you help me fly again? I need to go look at the spot marked on this map.
*sprinkles dust on Roxas*
Thanks. I should really get back to my mission now. Be careful those guys don't nab you again, okay?

The map fragment shown in the tutorial is actually the one we just got. We don't have to look for the others, but we're going to anyway.

We're back to examining things. They have more possible results, though.

The first possible result is Heartless. They're definitely not threatening.

Something's been scribbled here, but I can't make it out.

The second is reactions that we usually got during recon missions. Feels like it's been forever since we last did that, huh?

The third is just getting an item. For this one we get a Mithril.

Hey, another piece of the treasure map!

The fourth is getting a treasure map piece. We can't see which one we got right now, nor can we see how many pieces are left.

What, does he collect these?

Hey, another piece of the treasure map!

And that's all the pieces. Yes, there's just two of them.

Blazing Crystal and Heartless.

Did somebody use this mast for sword practice? It's full of gashes.

There's a stain. Somebody must've spilled something here.

Scratches and stain can't actually be seen, unfortunately, even though they were great with the details in Beast's Castle. They just ramping up the :effort: here.

Now we can see the full map. Like I said before, the one we got automatically was the north fragment. We only have to go to the spot marked there, but I'm going to all of them nonetheless.

Of course there's Turquoise Marches. It's not Neverland without them.

The spots were originally intact, so we have to rely on the map to find the location and then hit it with our Keyblade to reveal the box. This one has a Silver. 7 Turquoise marches are fought to get here, by the way.

3 Turquoise Marches are fought to get to this box with an Ether. Interestingly, we just grab the item inside the boxes this time. No additional fight necessary.

3 Turquoise Marches are fought to get to this box with a Lightning Crystal.

7 Turquoise Marches are fought to get to this box with an Ether. It's nice since I use magic to kill the Turquoise Marches quickly (they die in 1 hit from Fire or Thundaga).

3 Turquoise Marches are fought to get to this box with a Shining Crystal. Thankfully, that's the last Turquoise March we have to fight here, and our next Neverland mission won't have them. gently caress Turquoise Marches :argh:

Next Neverland mission just has THE boss instead... :negative:

Like I said, we only have to dig up this box to proceed with the mission.

Let's see what kind of Heartless pop up. Maybe it's the one I'm after! *opens the box* Huh? Nothing... Are they not connected? But then why do Heartless always appear when they dig up the chests? Unless it's him. That guy in red. Maybe he's connected to the Heartless. Only one way to find out. Let's see what those two are up to.

Hey, I have a weird idea. Maybe, just maybe, the guy with frequent visible dark aura has something to do with creatures of the dark! Crazy, right? :v:

There's actually something inside the box. It's just a Potion, though, so it might as well be nothing.

Hook and Smee can be seen back where we started, so we go there (these Turquoise Marches don't HAVE TO be fought, so my statement still stands).

Aye, sir.

Seriously, how the gently caress does no one notice this?

This one looks formidable. Run, Smee!
Running, sir!

*They both leave, again*

So...Phantom Tail. It's just like the other Heartless with the same attacks. Charging and Flipping.

The only special thing about them is that attacking the head will cause it to teleport. So we can attack the wings or the tail.

It also has the projectile attack, although I have to wait for 3 minutes to get it to do this attack.

And...that's it for this mission. At least we get plenty of treasures.

I'm not sure why, but I guess that's a question for another day.

:cripes:

There's holes here now, but there's absolutely nothing in them. With nothing to do, we RTC. After that, someone appears.

I still don't know why they tried to hide Pete's identity here. I'm also still not actually going to use his portrait.

That's strange... The hole they dug's here, plain as day, but not a Heartless in sight. That pirate's greed oughta have every Heartless for miles here now. Rrrgh... Somebody must be goin' around and taking 'em out! Whoever it is, they're ruinin' my perfect plan! This calls for a new strategy...

So the next boss is your fault! :argh:

Music: At Dusk, I Will Think of You...

Twilight Station Tower: 51
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 88

Roxas starts off alone.

Then Axel joins in, neglecting his actions for the past two days.

Then Xion joins in, neglecting her actions for the past twenty days.

And they just sit there, without a word. It must've been awkward.

Music stops

Meanwhile, just a few miles away...

It's Sora... His memory has stopped.
Stopped?
Unless something is done, he'll never wake from his slumber.
Then so be it. The gloves must come off.
But...what'll happen to...
Those Nobodies had no business existing in the first place-as you know fully well, Namine.
Yes...

Reminder that DiZ is a heartist.

On a lighter note, we got a LV Tripler! :toot:

New reports:

Honestly, I would've been more surprised if you can pretend like nothing happened.

That applies for all Wyvern Heartless, really.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

There's really nothing to say, is there? I mean, aside from the dark aura around Hook being a visual cue for the player in case they have lost all their brain cells getting this far in the game.

Also, gently caress the Neverland Boss. I would rather fight the Leechgrave again and again.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like that both Ansems (DiZ) grow out of their heartism eventually, even though backup-DiZ somehow was put inside Sora without having any idea who Riku was. Though to be fair, he'd only met Ansem-Riku at that point, who's not to be confused with Riku-Ansem from KHI.

KH plots are kinda fun.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

1234567890num posted:

And they just sit there, without a word. It must've been awkward.

I kind of like this scene BECAUSE it's so awkward. The uncomfortable silence is almost palpable, but what else are they going to do? Where else and who else can they go to?

This is pretty much all they have, short of going back to the castle. So they just sit there and try to ignore the tension.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like that both Ansems (DiZ) grow out of their heartism eventually, even though backup-DiZ somehow was put inside Sora without having any idea who Riku was. Though to be fair, he'd only met Ansem-Riku at that point, who's not to be confused with Riku-Ansem from KHI.

KH plots are kinda fun.

I like that there's a part in Chain of Memories where Riku tells Ansem (DiZ) that he's not the real Ansem. :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
poo poo, right, DiZ was in Chain of Memories. Yeah, it makes no sense that he doesn't know who Riku is.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I kind of like this scene BECAUSE it's so awkward. The uncomfortable silence is almost palpable, but what else are they going to do? Where else and who else can they go to?

This is pretty much all they have, short of going back to the castle. So they just sit there and try to ignore the tension.

I think I recall having similar initial impressions when I saw this cutscene (as I've only watched the cutscenes thing)... but I also felt confused because, it doesn't make sense? I can buy Axel coming to the tower to join Roxas and them sitting in silence, for the reasons you describe.
And I can understand Xion and Axel doing the same with one another as they (iirc) know what is going on with one another.

...But wouldn't Roxas explode with emotion and inquiry at both Axel and Xion when he sees that Xion is actually, not only alive and well, but apparently well enough to come to the clock tower? And ask what was going on with her? I know there's enough going on with Axel for Roxas to give him the silent treatment for a bit... But Xion to Roxas should just be more confusing than anything.

...And anyway why is Xion here anyway? And how? I can buy that Xion has had 2nd thoughts about what she was doing with Riku for a few days to go back to her friends... but Org13 has really just let her go back to being able to go where ever whenever?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I figure she's under Axel's watch at the moment.

I don't think it's unreasonable there'd be uncomfortable silence between Roxas and Xion, too, since she pulled her weapon on him last time they interacted and also has been trying to leave the Organization.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My thought was that Roxas desperately wants to talk to Xion, but is holding his tongue because Axel is there and would either shut it down or report what was said to Saïx, while Axel is chaperoning them to avoid them getting dangerous ideas. Xion is a bit of a wild card, because she's still thinking about her business with Riku, and she could either be avoiding being alone with Roxas because she's not ready to talk about it, or similarly trying to be alone with Roxas to have a real talk about it.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I thought DiZ knows about Riku, but not Riku!Ansem.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:same:

Doesn't make Axel any less of a lovely friend, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

1234567890num posted:

I thought DiZ knows about Riku, but not Riku!Ansem.

Yeah, but the DiZ inside Sora's heart has a big ol' heart-to-heart with Riku in DDD that ends with "you never told me your name, boy," which only makes sense if he was put there before outside DiZ ever met Riku.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Oh, right. I completely forgot that part.

Maybe Data DiZ is just senile after being trapped inside Sora but not actually part Sora for so long. He probably got frustrated of Sora's stupidity, especially in DDD. :buddy:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Maybe Data DiZ is just senile after being trapped inside Sora but not actually part Sora for so long. He probably got frustrated of Sora's stupidity, especially in DDD. :buddy:

Sora gets dumber each game because his brain spends more and more energy and time supporting all the other people in his heart. This is my theory, and I'm sticking to it! ;)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, that's kind of supported by DDD's plot, since half the reason he falls for Xehanort's scheme is that he keeps having flashbacks about Terra/Aqua and Axel/Xion, in spite of having no idea who anyone but Axel is. Riku just gets the mixed messages of "you worked for Maleficent and kidnapped Pinocchio, you prick" and "hey, what if you surrendered your heart to darkness and put Ansem in charge again? You'd be a total badass!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, but the DiZ inside Sora's heart has a big ol' heart-to-heart with Riku in DDD that ends with "you never told me your name, boy," which only makes sense if he was put there before outside DiZ ever met Riku.

Don't they laugh after that, though? The last time DiZ asked Riku his name (KH2), Riku told him that it was "Ansem".

I figured it was less "I genuinely don't know who you are" and more of a nod to that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ohh, yeah ok, that's fair. That flew over my head.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Not gonna lie, I'm very proud that I managed to fit all of them :smugbert:

Considering that the trio finally hang out in Twilight Tower again, I guess everything's not bad. Awkward silence notwithstanding.

I'll judge by your Bonus Gauge for Day s 256 to 275. Tell me when you've filled it in.

I don't know if I mentioned this already, but the Bonus Gauge are the ones that multiply the Mission Clear bonus, so we only have to clear all the optional missions. Which we did.

I see you've actually filled the Bonus Gauge completely. Hmph... Very well. I'll reward your diligence with clearance for a new mission. Ask Saix for the details.
Hmph. Watch yourself out there.

Xaldin! Not you too! :argh:

(Obtained: Shining Crystal)

Yeah, you're fine. Sure. This won't lead to worse things happening later on or anything. I still appreciate you always giving actual rewards, though.

We're going to do mission 80, 81, 79 and 78 in that order. Mission 81 gives high bonus to the multiplier, so we pretty much have to do it either first or second. And Mission 78 have to be done last because I really don't want to do that now.

The mission in Beast's Castle is the one Xaldin gave. Of course.

Music: Waltz of the Diamond
Music: Dance of the Darling

There's nothing here beside that Unity Badge.

All the jars are in The West Hall. It's best to break the ones from the other side first.

This is the strong enemy this time. It's pretty much the same as other ghosts Heartless.

It's very strong. This is the damage its hand attack does. It also causes Radar Zap, by the way.

And if we get possessed...well...that WILL happen. Auto-Life won't save us here. It still works, but Living Pod doesn't care.

However, the jars won't respawn here, so we can die as many times as we need. The Heartless goes back to their original positions, so this one isn't going to kill us anymore.

There's a treasure chest here. You might remember from the mission start that there's no chests in this mission.

That's because this is actually a...Cymbal Monkey? I expected Tricky Monkey, honestly.

The rest of the Living Pods are near the entrance. And somehow I missed 2 jars. One of them is behind the stairs. The final one?

On top of the door to the Secret Passage. It's very hard to spot and we can't jump high enough to hit it. And here's a shot of the previous Living Pod throwing off Roxas' aim.

What we have to do is go up the stairs near the door to the West Hall and then glide from there. Honestly, this mission is much easier than the one in TWNTW, and that one is already piss easy (if you're abusing the death mechanic :ssh:)

We got an Elixir! We'll never use it for the rest of the game :v:

(They'll be used during the next challenge updates, at least)

Another Emerald Serenade mission.

Music: Rowdy Rumble

We get to do it in a maze this time! :toot:

The great thing about this mission is that there's only Grey Caprices around, so we can get plenty of Hearts. Each of them gives 45 Hearts, so we'll have over 1000 by the time we're done :homebrew:

Blizzaga Recipe and Gust Crystal. Thankfully there's no card guard this time, so we can explore this maze freely.

Diamond. The Rare Vendor dies with 1 Blizzara. Just goes to say that Blizzara is still useful.

Moving on to the second area now, where the Emerald Serenade is.

Same tactic as before: Blizzara before attacking. Blizzara is amazing for Emerald Serenades :allears:

Diamond and... Looks like our inventory is full for some reason.

...Oh. That's why. :ms:

Look at all those Hearts! :homebrew:

This mission might be optional, but it actually is kinda interesting.

Music: This is Halloween
Music: Spooks of Halloween Town

First I should track down Xigbar. He's already in the field.

Fun fact: For some reason, the defense of these Icy Cubes are very high. They took more time to kill with physical attack than Grey Caprices.

That's always been the case, but still...

Hi-Ether. Not shown: Plenty of Icy Cubes and Hover Ghosts respawning. There's not much of them at once, so there's not much danger. Still took a long time to defeat them all, though.

After that we move on to the Graveyard.

*Heartless spawn*

Come on, Roxas. Those are just shadows. A Limit will kill all of them.

*sounds from above*

Huh?

Well, well. Look who decided to drop in.

Xigbar!
Hey, Roxas. Taking in the sights?
Don't be ridiculous. I'm here to back you up.
You're here to- Ah ha ha! As if!
Ha ha, Saix has got some sense of humor if he's sending you to bail me out.

I don't believe Saix has any sense of humor.

What's so funny about that?
Kiddo, the only thing you'll ever save me from is boredom. Let's get this over with, huh?

The shortcut to Moonlight Hill is blocked, so we go to Boneyard 1 instead.

Lightning Crystal. The Carrier Ghosts have plenty of HP, so it took 5 minutes to kill each. I realized that I don't have to kill them after I kill them both. I just thought that since the shortcut isn't available, there would be a forced fight here.

They drop just Aerial Tech++. You know, the one we just got 10 of from last mission? :doh:

More Icy Cubes and Hover Ghosts. This time we have Xigbar :black101:

Taking a detour to Boneyard 2, we have a Heartless and a Hi-Ether. It's actually Tricky Monkey this time.

I don't bother fighting the ghosts this time, so let's go to the Suspension Bridge instead.

Really, Roxas? The Snowy Crystal that we've seen several times?

Heh heh... Right. Just keep your head on straight.

Thunder Recipe. And that :airquote:giant:airquote: Heartless dies in 1 Fire. It's not even taller than Roxas. How could it be considered giant?

Or is it?
Huh? Oh, come on, quit playing ar-

Music: Fight and Away

:stare:

Despite its dramatic entrance, Chill Reaper is just like any other blade Heartless. With all the same attacks. Shockwave, combo, charge.

Its projectile attack is different, at least. Still blockable and works pretty much the same way, but the aesthetics are different. I pretty much killed it in 30 seconds because, as you might guess from the name, it's weak to fire.

You could have just told me that ice cube Heartless wasn't our target.

To be fair, I doubt Xigbar expected Roxas to be this stupid. If it was a Gigas Shadow then it would be understandable, but a Snowy Crystal?

But because I didn't, you learned a hard and valuable lesson. And for the record, I did warn you to keep your head on straight.
Well, yeah, but...
Heh heh. Come on, kiddo. Let's RTC.

So we did exactly that.

We're getting all these Megalixir Recipe but we can't even make them yet :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Roxas has known Xigbar for the better part of a year; how can he still expect straight answers from him?

Also, this is a great out of context image. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 16, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The only usable magic next mission is fire, so we load up with plenty of Fire and an Elixir just in case. Fira and Firaga pretty much have no chance of hitting the boss.

It's time for our second THE boss.

*Tinkerbell sprinkles dust on Roxas*

*points to an island*
You want me to go over there?
I wonder why...

I'm getting all the badges before going to the island. You can see Hook and Smee on that island.

Well, Mr. Smee? This is the last spot. Me treasure MUST be here.
I'll have it uncovered in a jiffy, sir!

*Smee digs for a while, and then drops his shovel and runs to Hook*

Captain! Captain! I found it!
What? Let me see!

Good work, Smee!
Oh, the lengths I've gone to find this treasure!

It's kinda hard to see here, but there's the darkness emanating from Hook again.

:ohdear:

C-C-Captain?
What is it now, Smee?
The treasure ch-chest, sir! It's...
What!?

Boss: Ruler of the Sky

Music: Fight and Away

:stare: Heartless masquerading as chests. Okay then.

You know what to do, Smee. Run!
As always, Captain!

*Hook and Smee runs off*

Meanwhile, Roxas gets ready to fight it.

So, it's you what's been goin' around takin' out my Heartless.

Oh, good. The game has finally given up the pretense of hiding Pete's identity, so I can use his portrait again.

I'm still mad at you for this boss :argh:

Listen pal, nobody messes with Pete's private army and gets away with it-including you! Now my new giant Heartless is gonna pluck you clean outta the sky!

Let's recap all the bosses from previous Disney worlds and what makes them annoying, shall we?
  • Antlion (Agrabah): It's hard to chase it in the beginning if you don't realize that it's just spinning around a building. And it's impossible to avoid its attack if you don't think to hide behind a ruin. A great boss otherwise.
  • Infernal Engine (Beast's Castle): The archers can only be killed with one special attack and will respawn, but they're not a lot of trouble. The main annoyance is its huge HP, but otherwise still a great boss.
  • Guard Armor (Olympus Coliseum): The loving arms and legs that acts like a wall and can't be attacked except during a specific phase. It's worse than Leechgrave due to being a returning boss botched from its previous games. At least just make the arms and legs untargetable, not act as a loving wall :argh:
  • Leechgrave (Halloween Town): The loving Tentaclaws gauntlet before we even get to the boss. And the fact that it only stays vulnerable for 15 seconds. It should be longer than that, dammit! :argh:
  • Crimson Prankster (Wonderland): Not that bad, just the Gotcha! moment where it multiplies while preserving their HP. Not bad otherwise, though.
  • Stalwart Blade (Olympus Games): A blade Heartless. Not much else to say, really.

Before we go over the problems with this boss, let's see its attacks first. Well, it can raise ice pillars. We can easily avoid it if we pay attention to the water.

There will be a ripple where the pillars will appear, so just pay attention to that.

After inflicting enough damage, it will turn red. Touching it when it's red will hurt us.

So naturally, it tries to ram us. Keep moving to avoid it. This is by far the most dangerous part of the fight. No, I'm not kidding.

After a while, it will dive into the water...

...before then reappearing and shooting coins. Stay under it to avoid the coins.

After that, it goes back to normal. It can also shoot waterballs during either phase.

So what's the problem with this boss?

Well, for one it always runs away from Roxas, so we have to chase it. Only 2 hits can be done before it gets away. And that's if we're lucky.

AND just like Zebra Xemnas, it can also go past the boundary. Luckily this only happen once during the entire fight.

Another problem is that Fire won't be able to catch up normally. The only chance Fire gets is when it's slower (like when firing coins) or when it's turning. It's immune to all other magics, and don't expect Fira or Firaga to hit it.

As you might guess, this battle can last forever.

Also, when it turns red, it deals quite some damage. It's a small Gotcha! moment to add to the pile of bullshit.

Remember when I said both phases for the waterballs? That's because it can also do that when it's red and trying to ram us. And because those waterballs are water elemental, they will heal it, making this battle last even longer.

Thankfully, this is an LP so I can just skip to the next phase.

It will circle around Roxas, releasing both ice pillars and waterballs. If we just stay in one place, we don't have to worry about the pillars and can just move up or down for the balls.

In fact, that's pretty much the only thing we can do right now since there's pretty much no hope of catching up with it.

After that, it will shoot coins again. But there's one difference:

We can actually hit it this time! :toot: I neglected to mention earlier that when it shoots the coins, it will move backwards as we try to chase it, so we still can't attack it (except hopefully with Fire).

After that, it will stay still for 10 seconds. This is the best time to use Limit and will save plenty of time.

If we don't kill it by this time, it will try to claw Roxas. I almost died here due to my own fault so I can't blame it for this.

I CAN blame it for putting me through the whole 'circle-around' attack again with nothing to do, though! :argh:

So, to add to the list:
  • Ruler of the Sky (Neverland): Runs away for half the fight, able to cross boundaries, spend 3/4 of the fight pretty much unreachable, have the potential to be a massive slog and is generally unfun to fight.

Pretty much the reason this doesn't take 15 minutes is because I know what to do and brought 18 Fires. It ties with Leechgrave in terms of slog, but ties with Guard Armor in terms of "Who the gently caress thinks this is a good idea?"

Ruler of the Sky, defeated, flaps around for a bit, slowly losing control.

Faster, Smee!

A few rounds from the Long Tom will show that monster who-
Mm?
Captain! Look!

Ruler is still flying around...

Music stops

Not gonna lie, this makes me chuckle.

Aw, cheer up, Captain... Our luck will turn around soon enough. I know it.

:roflolmao:

*Pete runs off*

Private army, huh? What does he want an army of Heartless for?

In the manga, Peter Pan is the one who put those chests instead in order to give Hook purpose in life. And by the end, Hook has to sacrifice the chest full of gold (yeah, it's real in there) in order to protect Peter Pan. Yes, really.

In this game, Peter Pan doesn't even appear at all. His sprites aren't even in the game data. And the only thing Roxas got out of this world is "I can fly!* :dance:" *Fairy Dust needed

In general, it does the Disney world much better and uses them as a chance to flesh out the other members. It completely skips Halloween Town, though :smith:.

Music: At Dusk, I Will Think of You...

Twilight Station Tower: 52
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 88

It's probably because of the awkwardness between the three, but I choose to believe that Xion and Axel aren't here because they got bored of waiting for Roxas :colbert:

At least we got Blizzaga. I literally never used it and have never seen any ally used it, so I have absolutely no idea how good it is. Yay? :confuoot:

New reports:

Bonus:

I pretty much have to spam Fire or Limit for this one and hope it's enough.

:suicide:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, I don't believe any of the manga actually cover Halloween Town (the artist really seemed to love Agrabah though). Not entirely sure why.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ruler of the Sky is poo poo. poo poo!

1234567890num posted:

In the manga, Peter Pan is the one who put those chests instead in order to give Hook purpose in life. And by the end, Hook has to sacrifice the chest full of gold (yeah, it's real in there) in order to protect Peter Pan. Yes, really.

That sounds surprisingly nice and not rear end in a top hat-ish of Peter.

What's the catch?

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, I don't believe any of the manga actually cover Halloween Town (the artist really seemed to love Agrabah though). Not entirely sure why.

Even the manga can't stop rehashing Agrabah. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ruler of the Sky is poo poo. poo poo!

Agreed. :hfive:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That sounds surprisingly nice and not rear end in a top hat-ish of Peter.

What's the catch?

Other than trying to kill Axel and Roxas before Tink told him not to, nothing (surprisingly). Considering that Axel is actually a nice friend while in Neverland, I guess it's a "nice friend" day.

Also, I think Agrabah just appears in the manga...twice? For one chapter each? I don't exactly remember, but that's the same as most worlds and even less than Wonderland.