Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

1234567890num posted:

gently caress Leechgrave,

I've been replaying, and Leechgrave is actually fairly doable. Round Guard/Block helps, and it's a boss where attacking the boss straight away just gets your rear end handed to you. Take out the Tentalclaws (sp) first, and it goes down for free damage. Takes about three passes with change depending on your setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The problem is the time frame. There's no real space to develop the CoM victims, and after Axel, it's Saix that gets the most screen time in the game.

After that, I think it's Luxord, for all the Wonderland missions. Demyx? Xigbar? Xenmas? Who are those guys?

The game has some real pacing problems, and it honestly suffers for it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Onmi posted:

Wait, if the organization can set up barriers to keep the team on track why don't they just do the missions while out there themselves?

Because Xenmas is lazy. Seriously, half the things he does in this game boil down to:

Saix: "Blah, Blah, Blah, Decision please."
Xigbar: *smug*
Xenmas: "Darkness, Darkness. All According to Plan. Do nothing and it will sort itself out."
Saix: *facepalm*

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Paused posted:

The last two partners died in CoM right? I usually recall that it was Pink Mullet, the Girl and SwordAxe guy but always draw a blank on the last two. Might be easier for me to remember when I finally get through one of the KH2 threads.

Yeah, all our partners in the first section are the CoM crowd so they can be introduced before they get sent off to Oblivion in more ways than one. Also, it's Vexen (Mad Scientist with Shield), Lexaeus (Giant Axe), Zexion (Book), Marluxia (Scythe pretty-boy), and Larxene (Pyscho Bitch) who get offed.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I tend toward one or two attack magics, a dozen Cura's and spare space for Hi-Potions by the mid to end-game. It keeps me in good shape. And you can't set the magic shortcuts yet? Whaaaat?

1234567890num posted:

The funny thing is, all of their scenes combined (all of them within the first 2 hours of the game) is probably longer than loving Xemnas' screentime.

I refinished the game last night, and am now going through the Challenge/Solo missions for goodies, so this comment jumped out at me as the last time we see Xenmas in the game, he doesn't bother speaking, nor showing his face on the camera. He's just that lazy.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Considering you can have up to four players in multiplayer mode, I think the game really missed the mark when you realize there's only one mission where you get two partners and none where they pull out all the stops and give you a full team.

So being paired up with Xion for so much makes a lot of sense narratively, but it hinders the game in its own way.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Best way to lose all that health ever. :allears:

And I'm afraid I'm gonna have to call you a liar here. You'll unequip Dodge Roll when you get better versions that can be upgraded! ;)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

And it includes some things that if they were in the game would have been amazing. Like Riku talking with Roxas at the Ice Cream shop and the followup in Twilight Town.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Larryb posted:

Why did the manga stop after Days anyway? I felt a lot of them were actually better than the games in some aspects (particularly this and the COM manga).

:10bux:

Not popular enough to bring in the money and keep writing/translating.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

I haven't read the manga for this game (or any KH manga). Is it really that good?

There's a lot more humor in them, that's for sure. Serious stuff too, naturally. But for Days? You actually get to see the O13 members when they're not working, and they tend toward being pretty chill. Luxord organizes poker games. Xion meets Pluto(!). Everyone agrees that Saix is a dick. You know, actual characterization for the villains.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Yeah, taking out the Zip Slasher now isn't really worth the technical tedium you have to go through at this point. On the other hand, it's a great introduction to the whole line of this Heartless - which oddly enough only appears in this game and in X/Cross Chi/whatever you want to call the mobile game.

All the rest of them tend to be easier because you'll have more powerful weapons and the level difference won't be as bad.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

I think it's more of that they grow hearts over time. Don't know how long it takes, though. So it makes sense now but probably won't make sense later. You can always blame Nomura for not thinking about that when making this game, though. Or that he basically invalidates the main characteristic of Nobodies.

I mean, it's not like Ventus has a Heart that can use a Keyblade and even shows up later in the game for a flash and has a better claim to being Roxas than Sora does.

I love the series, I really do. But the writing is a total mess some days.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

:doh: I completely forgot about Ventus somehow. Yeah, it's really a total mess. Especially that bit about sleeping worlds in DDD.
Don't worry! I'm sure that KH3 in January will explain everything properly!

Huh, why did my sarcasm meter just break?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Here's a thought: Which is more likely? KH3 explaining everything or a Disney world being the first/final world?

Olympus Coliseum is the first world in KH3. Unless you count the cutscene only Yen Sid's Tower.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Its only attack is a bullet seed that can't be blocked but easily dodged. The attack deals half of Roxas' HP because Proud Mode. The report says that it also has an attack for close-range but I didn't see it.
That's the face-plant attack where it slams the area around it repeatedly. It only happens if you get up close and hit it a few times.

Kemix posted:

Basically this. Only Donald, Goofy and Mickey are allowed to hog the spotlight, everyone else gets the finger and can die for all they care. You'd THINK they'd get it after all these years, but...yea. Disney's never been exactly known for good decision making this past handful of years.

To be fair to that decision process, we did get Ducktales, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck and Tale Spin out of the exec's desire to maintain control over the big three. Remember, Donald only showed up twice(?) in a show about his nephews and uncle.

There's a certain myopic zone where those three characters are concerned that Disney has, and it's not going to go away any time soon.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Was the reason that they hated money?

Because they didn't want to risk their brand actually. Disney and licensed games have often been on the poor end of the spectrum, and they weren't sure this was going to work or not.

According to apocrypha, the original idea for Kingdom Hearts came when two guys from Square (before the -Enix) and Disney were in the elevator together because their offices were in the same building but on different floors, and they shoot the breeze about a giant Disney crossover game developed by Square.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

I don't find blocking to be worth it because they might swarm you and block only works if the attack comes from the front. It's better to dodge roll, I think.

Round Guard is your friend. When you get it. Or higher level Thunder spells that can punish them for running right at you and clumping all together.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Knowing in retrospect that Xigbar is lying his pants off (does he wear pants under that cloak? Don't answer.) does make a few of his scenes a bit more important later on, especially when he's attending meetings between Xenmas and Saix. just to smirk.

But for some reason, I like this Recon mission the most. It's the most ... complete, I want to say? All the others are either Tutorial land or just there to introduce the world.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

What I want to know is what Xion was doing on Destiny Islands!

Also, the Time Skips in this game are the worst. They come out of nowhere, and have huge gaps in them.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Because Emblems are asinine missions, even with the best Mobility panels.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Actually, the Neverland Emblem hunt is pretty easy once you realize it's laid out like a track. Just do some scouting ahead of time, and find the 'gap' where you can start and finish, and work from there.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

To be fair to Roxas, Axel and Xion are his only friends. He doesn't have the wherewithal to care about anyone else in more than a vague, abstract sense. Not that he got to know any of them before they got shipped off.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It's sad when Re:Coded's magic system was better than this. Heck, CoM's magic system is (slightly) better.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

I honestly forgot about this. If Xemnas really can do this, then Demyx is either oblivious to this or he's so lazy he doesn't even care. :effort:

Wouldn't this imply that there have been other members of the Organization in the past whom we have never seen to have been Duskified?

Also, I could have sworn that Demyx is just lazy at everything that doesn't involve stealth and recon. And those he's good at because they don't involve actually doing anything.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Hmm... Fine. As you wish.

And here Saix is internally cheering that plans are coming together without him needing to knock some heads together.

1234567890num posted:

Yeah. Which is why I think the "turning into Dusk" thing was mostly a bluff. And if Demyx is the best at recon why don't we never got any recon missions with him :argh:.

But we do! It's just that Roxas has the mental fortitude of a piece of wet paper towel at the time, and gets roped into doing other things aside from the mission while Demyx actually does his stuff competently and off camera to set up his presence in KH2.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Do we? If I remember correctly, the only recon missions we have left are 1 with Xigbar and 1 with Xaldin. I guess we'll see later if my memory's wrong. I do remember the one where Roxas got roped into stuff, but I don't remember if it was originally a recon mission or not.

Roxas' missions to Olympus involve Demyx. Roxas goes into the Colosseum while Demyx goes out the front door. There's little in the way of 'investigation' because Roxas can't say "No!" and mean it while Demyx actually stays on task in his own relaxed and lazy way.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

You have a couple of improperly done [img] tags there, including one Roxas Portrait and a Screenshot of a chest.

Pacing ... Pacing .... Pacing!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

We're not getting the Unity Badge now.

High Jump - Air Slide - a Keyblade with a long air combo like Levantine. You can just barely make it to that platform for the Sigil by launching into a full combo at the end of a basic Air Slide.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

I don't know which Gear gives Levantine (or if it's a typo since I didn't found it in the wiki), but we don't have High Jump yet so we can't get it anyway.

Sorry. Nimble Gear 4 for Leviathan.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Not enough contestants this year for some reason?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

The only route into the castle... Remember that, Roxas. If a giant
Okay... But that's kind of a big if.

I wish we have a 'Foreshadowing!' smiley.
You forgot the rest of Xigbar's line there.

Also, yeah, this whole mission is a whole "This is going to happen in KH2!" reference.

Could have been worse.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

I was confused, since you said Xigbar but it's actually Xaldin

Braig, Dalin, it all blurs together after a while. ;)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Would've been nice to know that earlier! :argh:

If Roxas could emote, I'm pretty sure he would comment that he was denied critical, need to know, information.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Yeah, I read it. But there's really not much to work with as it's just rehashes of old missions with some gimmick. There's not much to work with in the first place.I'm not sure how to help out there.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

The world has technically appeared before, but the areas we explore and the music this game doesn't appear in that previous game (and some of them even won't appear in the next game), so that's nice of them to be :effortless:.

Still has the worst bosses though. And only, what, two areas?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

And that's the first of Axel's long list of well-intentioned gently caress-ups.

Hey, give Axel some credit! This is the first time he's ha to use his social skills in ten years. Of course he's going to be rusty. And with Larxene as the only woman in the Organization, of course his views are going to be biased in that regard.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

This is its only attack: A poison cloud that blinds. Otherwise, it's just a big sack of HP.

It also deals 19 hits in the combo. Trust me, I got to know that number well when grinding those guys for synthesis items. If it connects all the way through, that's fatal.

I also like to think that the reason that Luxord wasn't talking was because he was holding in his mirth at Roxas bumbling about and being run around in circles by the Duchess' cat.

Extra levels of Dodge Roll let you chain them together without resetting your animation, which saves a few scraps of a second when mashing the button.

Also, I'm very bad at anagrams. :eng99:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Why would you do that to yourself?
Why does anyone grind enemies in a JPRG?

For the Bling!

That, or a nifty weapon upgrade.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Which essentially means that Xion is more or less a worse Roxas because she doesn't eventually get the Dual Wield option that he does in multiplayer.

It's a gimmick that's not that useful because it's MP mode only, and the enemies scale up to far/fast for it to be better than going with a single blade with better stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

No. The counter for those 30 enemies started after talking to Xigbar, and we have to complete this quest before finishing all the available missions. We can do previous missions for this, but I won't bother.

The best way to do this is to grind the Deserter missions (I like the one in Agrabah as it's closer quarters. Get down to Limit Health and let'r rip against quickly spawning enemies. You might need to do it two or three times, but it's doable.

gently caress the Final Limit challenge though, Same tactics, more tedium.