Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

(jump to vote count)

Heat Mafia: A Game for 14 players!

Standard mafia rules apply: 

Don’t talk out of thread unless specifically permitted, don’t copy/paste PMs from me, don’t edit your posts, no toxx or stuff against the spirit of the game. Also remember this is a game that we’re playing for fun, so don’t go overboard insulting each other or being dicks. If you don’t have PMs, make sure to mention how you’d like to be contacted in your signup.

* Days will be 72 hours
* Nights will be 24 hours (or shorter if all actions are resolved). I like really short nights to keep the game moving, so if you're around at deadline / time period update, please make a decision after the flip and send it in right away. Conditional Submissions submitted ahead of time are OK (if X happens, I want to do Y, otherwise Z).
* Deadlines will usually be at 11PM EST.
* The town wins when all threats have been eliminated. The scum win when they have killed everyone else, or can inevitably do so through control of the vote and night actions. If any third parties exist, their victory conditions will be defined in their role PM. Note that Crime-aligned is the town team.
* Lurkers that make less than 10 posts per game day may be warned, replaced, or modkilled at my discretion.
* Don't post after hammers. Posting after Day Actions is OK unless you've been the target of a vig. No fake day actions are allowed.

Heists!

There are a number of lucrative scores that the Criminals (town) have been planning to carry out!

Heists will be carried out on Night 2, Night 3, and Night 4. They can succeed or fail, and if they succeed, the Criminals get a bonus.

Details:

Each day, one player will be chosen to be the heist leader. This is pure random roll (may be town or scum), but town players have a higher chance to be chosen (in the leader lottery, town players get three lots, other players get two). Each player can only be the heist leader once, but participating in a heist does not affect your leader chance. The leader will be notified via PM but it will not be shared with the thread until the conclusion of the heist. That person must assemble his heist team of exactly three other players, and has the game day to decide. Send me a PM before the hammer on the following day to assemble your team. There is no Heist on Night 1, so the first heist leader will be notified at the start of Day 2.

Heist Success:

Each heist has a base chance to succeed of 75%. If the heist leader dies during the day before or the night of, the heist will fail. If any other member dies, the success rate will decrease by 25%. Each scum member on the heist team will also decrease its success by 25%. If the leader fails to submit a team by the hammer starting the night, the heist will fail. There may be other hidden factors which affect the success rate.

Aftermath:

On the start of the day following a heist, the heist leader and the team he/she chose will be revealed to the thread. It will also be announced whether the heist succeeded or failed. The bonus awarded for a successful heist will not be made public, but will be told privately to those that may be affected. Its not guaranteed that the player(s) receiving the bonus are actually on the heist team.

If you have any questions, please PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

1. Anomalous Amalgam
  2. AnonymousNarcotics
  3. Asiina
  4. b-minus1
  5. Captain Foo
  6. CCKeane
  7. Dancer
  8. Dick Bastardly
  9. Hal Incandenza
  10. King Burgundy
  11. merk
  12. Moatillata
  13. Monathin
  14. Retro Futurist

Replacements on deck: Atomic Soda, IlegallySober, Mordiceius

Flips:

Day 1: Anomalous Amalgam, Michael, Criminal Roleblocker has been cast out of the crew!
Night 1: King Burgundy, Charlene, Vanilla Criminal has been incarcerated
Day 2: CCKeane, Hugh, Criminal Tracker has been strangled
Night 2: merk, Donald, Vanilla Criminal has been killed
Day 3: AnonymousNarcotics, Van Zant, Vanilla Criminal was shot
Night 3: Asiina, Neil, Criminal Heist Planner was gunned down while robbing a bank
Night 3: Dancer, Kelso, Vanilla Criminal was stabbed
Day 4: Retro Futurist, Sgt. Bosco, LAPD Heist Saboteur was killed
Night4: Capt Foo, Nate, Vanilla Criminal was arrested
Night4: Hal Incandenza, Sgt Casals, LAPD Jailer was murdered

Heists:
Heist 1: Dick Bastardly chose Monathin, Retro Futurist, and Dancer: Heist succeeded.
Heist 2: Asiina chose Monathin, Retro Futurist, and Hal: Heist failed.
Heist 3: Capt Foo chose Dick B, Moat, and b-minus: Heist failed.

Slamburger fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 2, 2018

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

One more spot!

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Game is full! Roles will go out out this evening.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

IllegallySober posted:

Slam, I think you've accidentally added me to Votefinder in Keane's spot. I'm still following but not playing for now. I'll be on the sub list, though. :)

Oops, looks like we still have one spot left! Ask your friends.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Taking Mord's post as a signup, we are now full. Roles will go out tonight!

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Ok, looks like I did miscount and we were full before Mord signed up, so sorry Mord!

Roles have been assigned randomly and are going out now in alphabetical order.

A sample PM looks like:

quote:

Solenko, Vanilla Criminal

You are a cranky restaurant manager on a power trip. Employing ex-cons and skimming their salaries has provided you with a little extra cash that you use to publish a monthly newsletter for hemorrhoid sufferers. You consider yourself on the up-and-up but shaking down ex-cons is illegal. You don't have to pull big scores to lead a life of crime.

As a member of the criminals, you win when all threats to Crime have been eliminated. Note that this is a "town" alignment. You have no special powers.

Note that flavor may or may not matter, so be careful what you claim.

There is no heist on Night 1, and the first heist will be on Night 2. The first heist leader will be notified at the start of Day 2.

Day 1 starts now!

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Final Votecount for Day 1

Anomalous Amalgam (9): Captain Foo, CCKeane, Monathin, merk, Retro Futurist, King Burgundy, Moatillata, Hal Incandenza, AnonymousNarcotics
Retro Futurist (2): b-minus1, Moatillata, Dick Bastardly, Moatillata
CCKeane (2): AnonymousNarcotics, King Burgundy, AnonymousNarcotics, AnonymousNarcotics, Asiina, Dancer, King Burgundy, AnonymousNarcotics
Monathin (1): Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam
Moatillata (0): Dancer, Retro Futurist, Retro Futurist, Dancer
King Burgundy (0): CCKeane, merk, merk, AnonymousNarcotics, AnonymousNarcotics, CCKeane
Dick Bastardly (0): Moatillata, Anomalous Amalgam, Retro Futurist, Moatillata, Retro Futurist, Anomalous Amalgam
merk (0): King Burgundy, Hal Incandenza, Hal Incandenza, King Burgundy, Moatillata, Moatillata
Dancer (0): Dancer, Hal Incandenza, Dancer, Hal Incandenza
AnonymousNarcotics (0): merk, b-minus1, b-minus1, merk, Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam

Not Voting (0):

With 14 alive, it's 8 votes to execute.

~~~

In a nondescript warehouse in Long Beach, Neil's crew has spent the entire day meticulously planning their next score. As the sun sets, Chris and Neil are stacking gear in the trunk of a stolen van. "Something's not right" says Neil. "I don't trust the crew." Chris nods in agreement.
"I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I think Michael has been working with police"
"Well we can't take any risks, he's out."
"Who is going to drive the truck?"
"Nate knows a new guy, Waingro. He should be fine."
"Alright, that's it then."

Anomalous Amalgam, Michael, Criminal Roleblocker has been cast out of the crew on Day 1!

It is now Night 1. There is no heist tonight; the first heist is tomorrow night. The first heist leader will be notified via PM on the start of Day 2.

Night actions please! I like short nights so get 'em in.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Robbery Homicide Squad office, Los Angeles:

"What have we got?"

"Some CIs on the street have heard word that there's a major score going down tonight, but we don't have many details"

"That's not much to go on"

"We do have a line on a local con that's connected with the type of crews that could pull this off, but he's in the wind"

"Do we have any angle on him?"

"We could squeeze his wife. She's got a 3 year old son"

"Yeah, threaten her with some jail time and see how she feels about her son coming up in the foster system, she'll flip on him"

~~~

Charlene refused to rat out her husband, and has been thrown in LA county jail!

King Burgundy, Charlene, Vanilla Criminal has been incarcerated Night 1!

It is now Day 2. The leader for the first heist has been notified via PM. The first heist will occur tonight, and the leader and heist team will be revealed to the thread at the start of the day tomorrow, along with the result of the heist. PM me if you have any questions about heist mechanics.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I know its been a quiet game day, but remember I expect at least 10 substantive posts from everyone to avoid a warning or replacement, so get postin'

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

:redhammer:

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Final Votecount for Day 2

CCKeane (7): Asiina, merk, b-minus1, Dancer, merk, merk, merk, AnonymousNarcotics, Dick Bastardly, Monathin, merk
Asiina (2): merk, CCKeane, Retro Futurist, merk
merk (1): Captain Foo, Dancer, Dancer
Hal Incandenza (0): merk, merk

Not Voting (2): Hal Incandenza, Moatillata

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to execute.

~~~

Neil pulls the gray sedan into his driveway and gets out. He had just surveyed the scene of the upcoming heist one last time and everything is in order. As he raises his keys to the lock on his front door, he stops abruptly, and silently crouches.

Something is not right.

Moving quickly, he darts around the side of his house and peers through the window into his entryway. A large figure is waiting in the dark, watching the front door intently. Neil hasn't been seen but he knows he has very little time. He grabs a ten pound rock from his landscaping and returns to his front door. He heaves the rock into the air over his fence and quickly moves to unlock his front door. The rock makes a loud splash in his swimming pool just as he turns the lock and throws open the door.

The intruder is caught off guard, looking over his shoulder towards the pool. Neil crashes into him and kicks him in the stomach. He grabs him by the hair and throws him to the ground. It's one of Van Zant's goons. He must have gotten tipped off about the heist. Neil unfastens his belt and slips it around Hugh's neck in a quick motion. Moments later, Hugh is dead. The ripples in the pool haven't yet had a chance to subside.

CCKeane, Hugh, Criminal Tracker has been strangled on Day 2!

It is now Night 2. Get those actions in! The first heist is in progress tonight. The heist team and heist result will be announced in the morning.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

The driver of the armored car dabs the brakes and the fifteen ton truck slowly obliges as it rolls to a halt.  The driver peers ahead at the ambulance blocking the road, and is completely unaware of the massive 100 ton wrecker speeding towards him.  The resulting T-bone collision rolls the armored truck on its side like a child's toy.  

Neil and his crew spring from the ambulance and take their positions.  A shaped charge is wired to the door as the others stand guard.  The blast shatters the car windows at a used car dealership across the street, and less than a minute after the collision, the robbers are pulling the dazed guards from the back of the truck.  

Minutes later the crew has the loot they were looking for and is preparing to escape.  But then three police cars careen around the corner, sirens blaring.  They are early!  Did someone tip them off?  The crew ditches the ambulance and piles into a large sedan, peeling away just as the police cars run over the spike strips the crew laid down, shredding their tires.  A detective leaps out of his car and opens fire at the escaping car with a large rifle.  A lucky shot shatters the rear window and strikes the driver, Donald, in the head!  Fortunately, Neil grabs the wheel and manages to get the car under control from the dead driver. The police have no way to chase and are forced to watch the car disappear into the distance.

The heist has succeeded!

merk, Donald, Vanilla Criminal has been killed Night 2!

The heist leader was: Dick Bastardly. His chosen team was:
Monathin, Retro Futurist, and Dancer.

The second heist leader has been notified via PM.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I've set a Friday deadline, which is not ideal so plan accordingly. If the thread opened earlier I would have done Thursday but thats a short game day.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

:siren: Lurker Alert! :siren:

Since the game has been pretty quiet lately I'm going to crack down on the 10-post minimum rule to encourage some of our "shier" posters to share their opinions and keep the game moving. Below is a chart of the daily post counts, in ascending order of total posts (higher posters omitted). If any player had less than 10 posts on D1 or D2, the criminal underworld has noted their absence and is worried they may have been talking to the police. This is their warning: If they don't get their D3 total to at least 10 good posts today, they may be hung out to dry and may be free-lynched for the rest of the game. (If they are lynched, the day doesn't end).

For players that have met their posting requirements on D1 and D2, I've also noted if you are below on D3. You won't be free lynchable if you don't hit your target today, but you may be eligible if you miss a future day as well.

There's plenty of time left to get active, make some reads, post some cases, and participate in the discussions to revitalize this game. I don't like to have to enforce post limits but its not fair to the other players to expect to make reads on people that are absent. Also, please don't post filler or I just won't count those posts.

code:
Bminus
11 d1
7 d2  warning
2 d3 danger!

AN
15 d1
11 d2
0 d3 warning

RF
11 d1
9 d2 warning
7 d3 danger!

Hal 
14 d1
19 d2
0 d3 warning

Dancer
19 d1
9 d2 warning
5 d3 danger!

Moat 
22 d1
4 d2 warning
6 d3 danger!

Asiina
10 d1
25 d2
1 d3 warning

Foo
20 d1
14 d2
3 d3 warning

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Final Votecount for Day 3

AnonymousNarcotics (6): Captain Foo, Asiina, b-minus1, Monathin, Retro Futurist, Hal Incandenza
Dancer (2): Hal Incandenza, Moatillata, Dick Bastardly, Hal Incandenza
Hal Incandenza (1): Dancer
Dick Bastardly (0): Retro Futurist, Dancer, Dancer, Retro Futurist

Not Voting (1): AnonymousNarcotics

With 10 alive, it's 6 votes to execute.

~~~

Who tipped off the cops about the heist?

It must have been Van Zant, one of his thugs was in my house last night for god's sake!

AnonymousNarcotics, Van Zant, Vanilla Criminal was shot Day 3

Night Actions please! The second heist is underway.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Neil and Kelso meet at the wheelchair-bound recluses' house high in the hills above LA. Kelso provides a thick folder full of information about the Far East National Bank. They agree to a $100,000 advance against a 10% cut of the score. They shake hands and Neil leaves with the folder.

Fifty yards away, lying in dense scrub, a detective puts down his binoculars and radios in to RHD. "They just met, should we take him in?"

"No way" says Lt. Hanna "If we pull him in now they'll know we're onto them and cancel the score. Wait until they are in the bank, then arrest Kelso. Call SWAT, set up a half mile from Far East National."

~~~

The three men are well dressed, but the suits barely hide the bulges of their kevlar vests and the rifle barrels hanging along their thighs. But the guards are distracted and by the time the masks are on and the guns are out, its too late. The guards are face down and zip tied, and the vault is open. All according to plan. Cubes of banded $10,000 stacks are shrink wrapped and waiting like expensive bales of hay. The men glance at each other and smile. They pack the money into large duffel bags and walk out of the bank.

As they walk across the bank plaza, towards their waiting car, Neil spots a SWAT officer concealed behind a delivery truck. The score is blown! He throws the bag into the car, shoulders his rifle and opens fire on the police officers. The crowded downtown block explodes into chaos. Panicked civilians scatter; some dive to the ground, others run. Police fire shotguns, handguns, and rifles at the car as they try somewhat to control the danger of a public gunfight with so many innocent people around.

Neil is still in the open. He reluctantly drops the bag of cash and sprints towards the getaway car. Lt. Hanna draws a bead on him, takes a breath, and opens fire. Two rounds strike Neil in the shoulder, spinning him around. Three more hit him in the chest, with the kevlar vest providing little protection against the rifle fire. He stumbles to the ground with blood pouring from his wounds.

The heist has failed!

As police swarm around the scene and the storm of violence passes, Hanna radios to the officer whom he gave the order ten minutes ago to arrest Kelso. "Did you get him?"

"Well ah, sir, he's here but he's not coming in..."

"What do you mean?"

"He's dead sir. Someone cut him up and pushed his wheelchair into the canyon. Its messy."

Asiina, Neil, Criminal Heist Planner was gunned down while robbing a bank on Night 3!
Dancer, Kelso, Vanilla Criminal was stabbed on Night 3!

The heist leader was Asiina. Her chosen team was:
Monathin, Retro Futurist, and Hal.

The third heist leader has been notified via PM.

Day 4 starts now!

Deadline is tomorrow night.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

:redhammer:

Flip incoming

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Final Votecount for Day 4

Retro Futurist (4): Dick Bastardly, Captain Foo, Moatillata, Captain Foo, Monathin, Captain Foo
Dick Bastardly (1): Retro Futurist

Not Voting (2): b-minus1, Hal Incandenza

With 7 alive, it's 4 votes to execute.

After a close call during the first heist and a total disaster during the second, the remaining crew hunkers down and decides on a plan. What would Neil do? Counter-surveillance. The crew decides to meet in a container lot by the port to discuss their next heist. Should they still go on with the next plan? The heat is close. Neil would probably walk away, but Neil isn't in charge anymore. They agree to do one last score and that's it. When has that ever backfired? Once they leave, one of them waits on a rooftop with binoculars to see if the heat shows up. Sure enough, 45 minutes later, a bunch of LA's finest is pacing around the same spot. Once the cops disband, one of the crew members tails one home and exacts some revenge for Neil.

Retro Futurist, Sgt. Bosco, LAPD-aligned Heist Sabatour was killed Day 4!

Night actions please! The third heist is in progress.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

The crew agrees to do one final score before hanging up their lockpicks: The vault at Investment Grade Metals. Nate has sourced the vault blueprints and the schematic for the alarms. The arrives at IGM at 3am and starts unloading the large drill they'll use on the safe. Meanwhile...

Sgt Casals loads two breaching rounds into his shotgun and approaches the door to Nate's safehouse. He checks that the other officer is clear, blows through both hinges, and kicks the door open. He hears the sound of Dokken music, and sees empty cans of Natural Ice strewn about the kitchen. Then he sees the mullet. Its more glorious than the grainy mugshot indicated. Nate turns around. "What are you waiting for coldneck? Get it over with."

After Casals partner has cuffed Nate and takes him away in a squad car, Casals stay to browse through Nate's vinyl collection. He must have every hair metal record released after 1983. Suddenly, he senses there is someone else in the room with him. He spins around. "You?" "How did you get in here?"

~~~

Back at IGM, the drill has been set up and the crew it working on the safe. Suddenly someone shouts. "Abort! Nate just got nabbed, we're probably all under survillence right now!" The team leaves their gear and all split up, each slipping into the night. This job was too risky.

The heist has failed!

Capt Foo, Nate, Vanilla Criminal was arrested Night 4!
Hal Incandenza, Sgt Casals, LAPD Jailer was murdered Night 4!

The heist leader was Capt Foo. He chose:
Dick B, Moat, and b-minus

Day 5 starts now! There are no more heists.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Flip shortly. Game has ended!

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Sorry I've got 100 things going on right now, so the end game flavor is going to be brief:

With Casals and Bosco taken out, the criminals are finally on the offensive. The remaining crew is a rag-tag group that doesn't usually handle the heavy stuff, but Waingro is all they need to finish the LAPD's investigation into them once and for all. After the IGM fiasco, he follows Lt. Hanna home. He waits until nearly sunrise, and then jimmies the lock and creeps into his house. He makes his way in Hannah's bedroom and finds him asleep. As he steps towards him, a board creaks and Hannah bolts upright. He reaches for a revolver on his bedside table but Waingro shoots first!

b-minus1, Lt. Hanna, LAPD Rolecop has been slain!

Waingro is finished with Los Angeles. He tracked down the guy that sent him to prison, Kelso, and he tracked down the cops that were after him. There's probably gonna be a lot of heat on him in this town, so its time to head east, somewhere far away from here.

Monathin, Waingro, Self-aligned Survivor JOAT has won the game!

Dick Bastardly, Alan, Criminal Miller has won the game!

Moatillata, Dr. Bob, Criminal Doctor has won the game!

Slamburger fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 2, 2018

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Mod Doc

Scum Discord

Setup:

3 scum: Rolecop, Jailer, Heist Saboteur

1 3P: Survivor JOAT (1 shot Vig, 1 shot Hide)

10 town: Doc, Weak Tracker, Miller, Roleblocker, Heist Planner + 5VT

Successful heists would empower a town power role:
Dr. Bob would gain a 2nd protect and the ability to self-protect
Michael could take a hostage: at the time of the bonus pick another player and if he was NK'ed, the hostage would die instead
Hugh would gain full tracking and automatic self-watching
Neil would gain double rewards for future heists, or permanent BP if the last heist.

Independently of the town rewards, any successful heist Waingro was on would grant him a 1 shot Watch, and a wildcard charge to use any other ability one extra time (Vig, Hide, or Watch)

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

b-minus1 posted:

DB was slain and won the game! Lolgood game.

Oops, put the wrong player in the flip:

Slamburger posted:

b-minus1 dick bastardly, Lt. Hanna, LAPD Rolecop has been slain!

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I'm surprised Monathin stayed loyal to the town at LYLO, and also that RF didn't try to scumclaim and appeal to Mona to vote a town and end the game once he was cooked.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

And since people were wondering about the flavor of the first heist: The "tip off" was not intended to indicate any game mechanics but was pure flavor to set up Donald's death via NK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

The overall thoughts on the game were that scum played very well (and got lucky with some early kills/rolecops) but obviously way over-committed on LYLO (which often happens when people get antsy). I would have liked to have seen a little more content from the scum team, but the town should have put them under more pressure. The power roles were designed to be somewhat inverted from traditional scum/town roles (no town cop, town roleblocker, scum jailer) to reflect the flavor of the game. Town roleblocker can be extremely powerful but he died on D1 so that's mafia. Basically all the town PRs were known to the scum by day 2ish so they had a lot of information to jail and kill as they saw fit.

• Locked thread