Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
This seems really redundant to the Air Force Space Command: Trump space force: US to set up sixth military branch

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44527672

I thought part of the point is that we aren't supposed to militarize space, right? Trump has also declared the new branch will be "separate but equal" (phrasing!) from the other five branches. So Space Marines are going to be as important as the Coast Guard or something? This just seems like a bad idea.

Standing by for snappy branch seal and rank insignia!

EDIT: Oh FFS...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Standing by for snappy branch seal and rank insignia!

EDIT: Oh FFS...

I don't know where those are from, but there's zero chance that the term "astronaut" is going to be used that way.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Madurai posted:

I don't know where those are from, but there's zero chance that the term "astronaut" is going to be used that way.

My usual default for anything pants-on-head retarded is one of the chans.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
It’s going to be a bunch of fat nerds sitting in a bunker somewhere in Virginia watching Xi Jinping take a poo poo via spy satellite.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I will join for access to moon weed. Without moon weed, there's no point.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I thought part of the point is that we aren't supposed to militarize space, right? Trump has also declared the new branch will be "separate but equal" (phrasing!) from the other five branches. So Space Marines are going to be as important as the Coast Guard or something? This just seems like a bad idea.

Space Marines will be a separate 7th branch but under the Department of the Space Force. Of course, they'll need their own space aviation wing, and their own mini space carriers to launch their space marine space ships from.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

can i sign up as a foreign exchange student

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Loden Taylor posted:

Space Marines will be a separate 7th branch but under the Department of the Space Force. Of course, they'll need their own space aviation wing, and their own mini space carriers to launch their space marine space ships from.

But we'll still need chaplains and medical personnel from the regular Space Force.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

can i sign up as a foreign exchange student

Service guarantees citizenship!

Would you like to know more?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is just going to be engineers in office buildings reading satellite telemetry for at least the next 50 years.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

This is just going to be engineers in office buildings reading satellite telemetry for at least the next 50 years.

Take everything we do now that could even be vaguely associated with space. ( That's everything). Duplicate it. Add another layer of bureaucracy and infighting.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I have 5 years prior service with the Cosmonewts - If I reenlist will I be stuck in space camp again with all the new recruits?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress off oval office only one kiwi allowed and i called first

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

You got a lot of nerve to say that to a veteran of operation tranquility, I lost a lot of friends up there in the name of democracy

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
LEELOO DALLAS MULTI-CAC

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
If we had a space navy we could send seamen to Uranus..

Just think about that for a moment. Then remember somehow they would remove the fun and comedy from it.

Do you want to live in a world where sending seamen to Uranus isn't funny? I don't. Say no to space Navy

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Laranzu posted:

Just think about that for a moment. Then remember somehow they would remove the fun and comedy from it.

Do you want to live in a world where sending seamen to Uranus isn't funny? I don't. Say no to space Navy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0czFnIvKOJY

this seems appropriate then

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Jaguars! posted:

I have 5 years prior service with the Cosmonewts - If I reenlist will I be stuck in space camp again with all the new recruits?

Holy poo poo, I know who the first Secretary of the SF is going to be!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Laranzu posted:

You know what the say: "A submarine goes down with 100 men and comes back up with 50 couples."

Now apply that to a mission to Mars.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How many steps is there on a space crafts PMCS?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

There's going to be tons of ejaculant floating around the space marine berthings. At least now they have curtains to splooge into.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

SIXTH? Like the coast guard is a real mil branch?!

hawwwww :dukedoge:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

You got a lot of nerve to say that to a veteran of operation tranquility, I lost a lot of friends up there in the name of democracy

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/operation-tranquility#/ ?

was expecting this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6rtQ0-ez4g

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'll enlist as space shuttle door gunner

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Syrian Lannister posted:

I'll enlist as space shuttle door gunner

Sorry Charlie us olds are reserved for the Volkssturm about a decade from now.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Sorry Charlie us olds are reserved for the Volkssturm about a decade from now.

I'll gladly share a fighting position in the ruins of DC with you

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

This branch is gonna end up as the biggest group of nerds ever. Imagine Navy nukes, intel weenies and air force goobers all mashed into one. They could save money on the budget by paying them in M:TG cards and anime waifu pilows.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Zero G PT Tests, here we come!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pfft, two mile run? More like 100 mile float time.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I just want to watch a boot try to take the jaunt unsedated.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

is anyone even actually gonna go to space

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 19, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
if you get high enough does it count

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vasudus posted:

if you get high enough does it count

Eventually you only get "so" high. Stupid tolerance, I try to smoke it away, but it keeps catching up.

Haven't been to the mental moon in months. :(

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
I want in on this, but IN SPACE where is the rear w/ the gear??

We need MPs for when the mobile infantry gets into brawls with navy pilots etc. so maybe I can sign up to be some kind of Space Cop. Yeah, that'll work... unless the whole concept kinda falls flat when finally tested, that would be disappointing.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

But, how will formations work? Will they be all 3D?

These are important questions that need to be answered, after all, the CSM won't have grass to keep people off of in Spaaaaaace.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

ASAPI posted:

These are important questions that need to be answered, after all, the CSM won't have grass to keep people off of in Spaaaaaace.

It'll be astroturf.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

mmmm posted:

I want in on this, but IN SPACE where is the rear w/ the gear??

Wellwallah is the new fobbit

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Grem posted:

I just want to watch a boot try to take the jaunt unsedated.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ASAPI posted:

There's asteroids to paint white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
0130(Earth Standard time)
J6 Log: The ship is currently 30 light-minutes from earth NOSC. The XO forced my shop to work additional hours to provide commander with acceptable communications.
All attempts to increase speed of C have failed. Negative counseling statements have been drafted.