Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzmM0AB60QQ

Lost in Space is a science-fiction adventure show, available now on Netflix, that follows the adventures of the Family Robinson, intrepid space colonists whose voyage to Alpha Centauri is delayed after an accident sends them hurtling towards a nearby uninhabited planet.

Season 1 has 10 episodes, each around 50 minutes to an hour long.

I just finished watching the first season, and overall I thought it was pretty dang good. The entire cast is pretty solid, with likable characters and fun sci-fi adventure beats. It's a great example of a reboot done right. They aren't banking on nostalgia since no one really remembers the original Lost in Space anyway (or the awful 1998 movie).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXiKG4Esf6Y

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Came here looking for a thread about this, weird that nobody seems to be talking about it (or is there an older thread somewhere?).

The show is surprisingly good, with some pretty neat surprise moments and good production values.

Not having watched more than half an episode of the original, the only callback I recognized was the robot's catchphrase, but overall it doesn't feel like it's going much for nostalgia.

Dr. Smith gives me the creeps (in a bad way), and her performance gets pretty jarring sometimes, but maybe that's intended.

The pacing towards the end feels off somehow, amplified by too many flashbacks and "moments of wonder" from the cast, intermixed with a building sense of urgency.

Going to watch the finale tonight, not sure yet if this feels like a series that's supposed to expand or be more of a mini-series, really.

All in all an enjoyable show.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My kid and i didn't much care for it... Evidenced by the fact it took us several weeks to finish the last few episodes.

The show was serviceable, if full of obviously iffy science... We can forgive that... But we just didn't feel compelled to finish it, because we didn't find I appealing. We pretty much forced ourselves to finish... And we typically love all sci-fi.

We might enjoy the next season more, if they get away from the annoying politics of the other colonists.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Here's the old thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854439

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GORDON posted:

My kid and i didn't much care for it... Evidenced by the fact it took us several weeks to finish the last few episodes.

The show was serviceable, if full of obviously iffy science... We can forgive that... But we just didn't feel compelled to finish it, because we didn't find I appealing. We pretty much forced ourselves to finish... And we typically love all sci-fi.

We might enjoy the next season more, if they get away from the annoying politics of the other colonists.

Yeah, I had the same problem. The modern "something incredible is always about to happen, here's one wow moment to string you along" writing style is really stretched to the limit with this show. They just can't fill ten 50-minute episodes with enough interesting distractions to keep you from checking your watch around episode 7. By the finale you've realized that this entire season is essentially a two and a half movie's worth of pilot/teaser for the show they really want to make, which may or may not actually happen. Decompressed storytelling is getting out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, I had the same problem. The modern "something incredible is always about to happen, here's one wow moment to string you along" writing style is really stretched to the limit with this show. They just can't fill ten 50-minute episodes with enough interesting distractions to keep you from checking your watch around episode 7. By the finale you've realized that this entire season is essentially a two and a half movie's worth of pilot/teaser for the show they really want to make, which may or may not actually happen. Decompressed storytelling is getting out of hand.

This was ultimately my problem with the show. You could've compressed the entire series down to a serviceable 5 or 6 episodes and have lost nothing of importance. I think I started skipping through the rest of the series after the episode where the robut fights a bunch of space leopards due to another corny contrivance intended to land everyone in jeopardy. The fact that they had an entire episode dedicated to the Robinsons getting stuck in a quagmire and spinning their wheels is an ironically apt metaphor.

• Locked thread