Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I've got closing shifts Tuesday and Wednesday, so neither of those two days are gonna work for me; next Tuesday is fine, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Could we all do Monday (granted its extremely short notice so I'm guessing not) or Friday?

Failing that, the first session would be next Tuesday, August 14th.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Friday the 10th will also work for me. Monday will not, I'm sorry.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
I can do Friday.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Weekends tend to be bad for me across the board, so I am very reluctant to commit.

That said, what if we did a soft session on Friday to finish Climbing the Ladder, then shoot for next Tuesday as the first session? I'll finish up my rungs via discord if I can't do Friday.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

No game tonight, as per Herr Tog and John Dyne.

Barbed Tongues posted:

That said, what if we did a soft session on Friday to finish Climbing the Ladder, then shoot for next Tuesday as the first session? I'll finish up my rungs via discord if I can't do Friday.

I think this is the best available plan. If you can/want to make a Friday session to do more rungs, let's do it. Otherwise throw what you've got (including hanging links) in the thread/Discord and people can use them as creative fodder.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

A detail I realized the other day which may be relevant....

Be It Known To The Kindred of San Diego,

On this day, June 22nd of the year 1992, I hereby proclaim that the legitimization of illegitimate money is the domain of the Prince, to be managed by the Prince and his designates in the interests of the health of the Masquerade. The flow of currency is no less important than the flow of blood, and is an avenue by which secrecy could be threatened by both greed and incompetence.

Those Kindred who wish to engage in the ongoing laundering of funds may only do so with the Prince's license, or may make use of existing arrangements established at the Prince's behalf for a nominal sum. Violation of this edict shall be regarded as a serious offense, and those who ignore it will find their monies forfeit, even if no breach of the Masquerade has occurred.

Lady Monica Caldwell of the Invictus, hereby granted the title of Treasurer, shall serve as my primary instrument in this matter.

Written By My Hand And Delivered By My Voice,
Diego Gaines, Prince of the City, Duke of San Diego, Protector of the Kumeyaay

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

kaynorr posted:

I think this is the best available plan. If you can/want to make a Friday session to do more rungs, let's do it. Otherwise throw what you've got (including hanging links) in the thread/Discord and people can use them as creative fodder.

And so we've come to Friday. If you can make it, hop in Discord at 7 PM PST and we'll do as many rungs of Climbing The Ladder as people can stand.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

The Story So Far

The death of Allen Tremaine, while still fresh in form of the ongoing Sanctified conflict, has faded a bit from being the only thing the San Diego Cacophony is talking about. At the Samhain gathering of 2016, a senior member of the Ordo Dracul, one Silas Haverford, announced to the assembled Kindred that he was departing the city. Silas had received a prestigious appointment at a different institute of study within the Ordo Dracul, and after making an offhanded comment about the climate of learning in San Diego leaving something to be desired he vacated his claims of domain in the city and left for Seattle with two of his childer.

All eyes were on the Prince, even more so than usual, come the Longnight Ball in December of that year - it was widely anticipated that the Prince would pass on Silas' claims to one of several members of the Ordo Dracul. To the surprise of all, Prince Diego announced that Silas' claim would be divided. The area around Whaley House, known as San Diego's Old Town neighborhood, would be a public hunting ground held by none. Whaley House itself, though, would be held by a group of five Kindred of mixed allegiance - an Invictus, a Carthian, and three unaligned vampires. In his proclamation, the Prince held forth that he had observed a sense of entitlement amongst all the covenants when it came to new blood - and that by investing domain in those who owed loyalty to none, the elders of the city find the need to make a positive appeal regarding covenant membership. Despite the objections of the Ordo primogen, the Prince would not be swayed and the order stood.

Meanwhile, the conflict between the four branches of the Lancea et Sanctum continues to boil over at random. A fire at a Catholic community center around Thanksgiving was widely believed to be a strike at the heart of the Sanctified traditionalist sect, but Priestess Katherine Espinoza made of point of being visible and unharmed at the Longnight Ball. Rumor has it that the Mormon sect has called in reinforcements from the northern part of the state, wisely sidestepping the problems involved in bringing mercenaries proper across the border and having to deal with either Mesa or Felix, who collect their pound of flesh from anyone moving goods up from Mexico.

January 7th, 2017 marks the first Prince's court of the new year. The Prince has chosen the Pacific Springs Gallery, a century-old establishment of elite collectors and tastemakers, to host the court. The gallery has been named Elysium for the evening's activities, and the Daeva priscus Lynn Guerrero will serve as host and Keeper of Elysium for the night. The harpies have been suggesting that the Prince has a new proclamation, and many are eager to see if the Kindred of Whaley House make an appearance to face down those in the Ordo who feel that they do not deserve the Prince's generosity.

It's time to do this. The first chapter of our chronicle, "The Fine Print", will begin tonight Tuesday, August 14th, at 7 PM PST. See you there!

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Written in Red

Chapter One: "The Fine Print"

Session One: "Where there's a wolf, there's a way"

Hector has a particularly intense nightmare of his sire's killing, a reenactment of everything he went through when Tremaine perished, everything Hector felt through the sympathy of blood. It leaves him spooked at the start of a very important evening. It is the night of the Prince's first gathering of the year, Jan 7th, 2017. Luckily, he planned ahead and fed the night before, so has time to perhaps center himself.

Johann is attending an old school fighting game night, a needed gathering for his particular hunting style. The group isn't functioning well, a pair of Smash Bros players bogarting their game and being hyper aggressive. Johann intervenes to offer them a special SB only night in exchange for them chilling out. They agree, and Johann takes the opportunity to feed on them.

Elysium is being held at an art gallery, under the Keepership of Daeva priscus Lynn Guerrero. Ethan arrives, seeing one of the Ordo (Don Coronado) berating the Elysia help as they park his ostentatious lambroghini. A woman Ethan doesn't recognize approaches Don, they begin to have a heated discussion. Ethan hangs back to spectate. The two seem to know each other, the conversation slowly escalating until one shoves the other. Don begins to posture back at the woman

Woman: "Where's my loving money?"
Don: "We had a deal - you got your money, what's the problem?"
W: "There was no money, rear end in a top hat."
D: "Not my problem."
W: "It will be your problem if I don't get my money."

Woman looks a little burlier as the physical confrontation starts. She grabs him by the throat, becoming noticeably physically bigger. Don notices Ethan and waves him over for help. Ethan tries to de-escalate the situation, gets backtalk from the woman, but he manages to talk her down a little bit when she realizes this is a full gathering for Vampires. "So what's the protocol when someone has ripped you off?" Ethan fully realizes she is a werewolf, warns her of the consequences of escalating.

"You think I'm afraid of a bunch of loving vampires?" She slams Don into the wall, shifting into a not-fully-human form. Fangs and other bestial aspects start to appear.

Tony hears the commotion and appraches the group. He recognizes her as Thea - one of the Steelhounds pack and calls out to her. She's surprised to recognize someone, but meanwhile Don bares his fangs and goes super aggressive in cursing at her. Tony tries to keep her attention on himself, engaging her. Don slowly climbs to his feet, demands someone gets the Sheriff to handle the rogue werewolf.

Tony lights up Don, warning him he's about to be a smear on the street if he doesn't shape up. Don takes it to heart, explains to Thea that the stash house he pointed her to should have had the cash he promised. Things start to calm until Don calls her a bitch. She squares up with claws starting to extend, until the group hears the cocking of a gun.

The Sheriff has arrived. "I don't care who owes who, this isn't happening here, this isn't happening now."

Thea looks to Tony for a cue on who this guy is, and Tony is brutally honest that she doesn't want to push anything now.

"I can load all six silver bullets into this revolver before you can even move," the Sheriff adds, reminding everyone they trained under Wyatt Earp.

Thea backs down but comments, "We are not done, Don." She postures, but also slinks away. Sheriff keeps the gun on her until she is far out of range and out of sight. "What the gently caress was that?"

Court is now in session, Hector arrives with a gift for the Keeper of Elysium, and old monogrammed piece by a mortal once in her intimate circle, she remembers the man fondly and expresses appreciation. Elsewhere, after hearing the gossip about Don's situation, Knight confronts the young Ordo hotshot. Knights finds out the issue is over around 20K but was all verbal or unenforceable agreements. Knight encourages him to just pay up and not get killed over some petty cash. Don claims to have the ear of his Primogen, and to be unafraid of any consequences from the werewolf.

The Prince arrives and has his Herald make an announcement. He anounces that the Sanctified Katherine Espinoza is no longer a Primogen on the Prince's Council. The Sanctified may rejoin his Council upon the agreement of no less than 10 Sanctified citizens on the following two issues:

* A true accounting of the destruction of Allen Tremaine
* An agreed upon individual for the Lancea Sanctum Primogen spot.

Katherine is surprised by this turn of events and scurries to her people as soon as she can.

The Sheriff approaches Knight, reminding him that making sure there are no confrontations between Kindred and Werewolves is the Prince's desire. Knight agrees with the sentiment. The Sheriff hints that the Prince would like the situation resolved. Knight asks how much leeway he might have in solving this if he were so inclined - could Don go missing, for example. The Sheriff hedges - the problem needs to go away, but neither Don or Thea should. The Sheriff grants Knight's request of a little starter cash (4K) - but it isn't close to the 20K estimate needed to solve things in one shot.

Hector approaches Dinah, one of the Sanctified Mormons - probing her on information about the Sanctified. She's somewhat pleased that Katherine went down publicly. She knows the Prince isn't stupid, so this means as long as three factions band together, they can have the fourth take the fall. Hector reminds Dinah that no one in the city is closer to Tremaine's blood than him, and that Hector does know some information through sympathy that night. He makes clear that while the Prince may just want a fall guy, Hector is interested in the actual truth. And that if bullshit evidence is presented to the court, Hector's instinct would be to counter it. Hector recommends the Lance simply loop him in on the information or evidence they uncover, Dinah recommends Hector find a way to sweeten the pot if he wants the Lance to in essence work for him.

Knight approaches Mesa, a fellow Mekhet Invictus who is one of the two major cross-border players. Knight hopes he will be able to get information from Mesa in the future about his matter with the Sheriff. Mesa is very willing to trade info - trade.

The coterie discusses the Sheriff's 'offer' - agrees that they are on the hook for solving this after the generous territory grant. Hector recommends they just steal Don's car and hand it over, but also cautions the Ordo might be especially hostile because of their loss of Whaley House. They decide to approach Don and try and get information on the stash, setting up the potential to investigate the location - find out why the money wasn't there. Especially when they wonder if someone is deliberately sabotaging agreements between the Kindred and Wolves.

The group approaches Don, manages to get the address of the safe house. Hector gets a good use of Auspex on Don while Knight convinces Don they have a chance of solving this problem for him. The conversation becomes a back and forth as Don tries to puff himself up and Knight sees right though it. In the end no agreement is formally struck, but Don understands what is happening. Hector learns that Don is a competitor, that he's afraid of looking pathetic and that he actually knows he's a blowhard and that it's a weakness, that he does actually believe his Covenant will side with him on this, and finally that of the people at the gathering Don most respects the Ordo Primogen. The group breaks away, intending to now investigate the stash house.

Hector reminds himself that during the conversation Don insulted the coterie three times. While it was fair to go after Knight, his insults were too broad in application. He now believes Don will need to be taken down a notch publicly, to not let the insults slide, no matter how this resolves. Letting an insult go unanswered in front of the court is not something his sire would have allowed.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 15, 2018

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Good write up. Thank you

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

i think there may be some inaccuracies here

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

John Dyne posted:

i think there may be some inaccuracies here

Feel free to fix, balls in your court.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Barbed Tongues posted:

Feel free to fix, balls in your hands

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Lesson learned, I should put one in intimidate since I tend to default to that

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I have to admit lads, I want to immediately jump back into game. Sorry for delaying yesterday.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

I have to admit lads, I want to immediately jump back into game. Sorry for delaying yesterday.

You had to wait a week, but the time has come. Tonight's chapter, "The Velocity of Money", starts tonight Tuesday, August 21st, at 7 PM PST.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Session Two: "The Velocity of Money"
Jan 8th, 2017 - 02:00

Tony calls his werewolf connection, Barrett, angling for information on Thea. Tony gives the quick lowdown on the confrontation. Tony lets slip that Don is actually in the wrong, getting Barrett's hackles up. He agrees to act as an intermediary, asking the crew to sit tight for a few hours.

Hector suggests they check out the spot (345 Carlos Street, Mount Hope Neighborhood) rather than sit around. A section of town near greenfield cemetery. John keeps a lookout while Ethan sneaks his way toward the house. John spots a car with people in it a block or so away, as if they are watching the house themselves. Ethan notices them as well, texting the group an alert.

Johann approaches the car with some of his Daeva juice leading the way, while Knight sneaks up the back. The guys are prickly to say the least, untrusting of the approach. The driver reveals a handgun, trying to intimidate Johann away - who only ups his charm levels on the mortal - it doesn't take, and the threat is reiterated.

Tony attempts to sneak toward the house during the distraction, unfortunately his phone goes off with a return text from Barrett (He lets Tony know where to meet Thea). This draws the attention of the mortal, and the driver grabs his gun fully.

All hell breaks loose.

One gunshot goes off, but the two men are subdued. Hector mesmerizes the passenger, taking him back to the other car while Knight, Johann and Tony take care of the driver. Ethan sneaks fully into the house, finding out it had obviously already been broken into.

Hector interrogates the passenger, discovering they are part of the Blacktop crew, sent here to sit on a safe house that had been hit. Inside, Ethan discovers a dead body in some sort of panic room as well as a a large heroin stash (40K street value). The driver identifies the body as one of theirs.

The two Blacktoppers get corralled, intimidated, and dominated to keep their mouths shut for at least a little while, buying the Kindred some time before their meeting with Thea - at an all night taco stand.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Kudos to Kaynorr for using a gang name that I do not think is in mainstream media without sounding racist.

pynladfysh
Jul 9, 2018

*establishes eye contact*
Macros:
For the macros, replace Ethan Abbas with you character name exactly as it appears. Any line with /me can be removed or the phrasing changed. There isn't an easy way to do + or - modifiers in one box, that I have found yet so there is a pos modifier and a neg modifier prompt. You cannot put a negative number in a pos modifier prompt

***These assume you are trained in the skill. If you aren't, use the generic roll***
***Kaynorr: These require that every character has a Vigor, Celerity, and BP Attribute even if it's 0***

Generic Roll
/r (?{Attribute + Skill +/- modifiers})d10>8!

Generic Roll 9-again
/r (?{Attribute + Skill +/- modifiers})d10>8!>9

Generic Roll 8-again
/r (?{Attribute + Skill +/- modifiers})d10>8!>8

Chance
/me takes a chance
/roll {1d10!}=10f1

Initiative (need to click on token first)
/me initiative
/r 1d10 + @{Ethan Abbas |initiative_mods} &{tracker}

Initiative with weapon drawn (need to click on token first)
/me initiative
/r 1d10 + @{Ethan Abbas |initiative_mods} - (?{Weapon|Light Handgun, 0|Heavy Handgun,2|Small SMG, 2| Large SMG, 3|Rifle, 5|Assault Rifle,3|Shotgun, 4|Crowbar, -2|Knife,-1|Rapier,2|Machete,2|Hatchet,2|Fire Ax,4|Chainsaw,6|Stake,4|Spear,2}) &{tracker}

Perception
/me uses his peepers
/r (@{Ethan Abbas |wits} + @{Ethan Abbas |com} + (?{pos modifier}))d10>8!

Lashing Out
/me lets out the animal within
/r (@{Ethan Abbas |str} + @{Ethan Abbas |bp} + ?{modifier})d10>8!

Lashing Out with 8-again
/me lets out the animal within
/r (@{Ethan Abbas |str} + @{Ethan Abbas |bp} + ?{modifier})d10>8!>8

Investigate
/me turns over every rock
/r (@{Ethan Abbas |wits} + @{Ethan Abbas |investigation} + ?{Specialty|No, 0|Yes, 1} + ?{pos modifiers} - ?{neg modifier})d10>8!

Stealth
/me is sneaky as f*ck
/r (@{Ethan Abbas |dex} + @{Ethan Abbas |stealth} + ?{Specialty|No, 0|Yes, 1} +?{pos modifiers} - ?{neg modifiers})d10>8!

Unarmed Combat
/r (@{Ethan Abbas |str) + @{Ethan Abbas |brawl} + @{Ethan Abbas |vigor} + ?{Specialty|No, 0|Yes, 1} + ?{pos modifier} - ?{neg modifier})d10>8!

Melee Combat
/r (@{Ethan Abbas |str) + @{Ethan Abbas |weaponry} + @{Ethan Abbas |vigor} + ?{Specialty|No, 0|Yes, 1} + ?{pos modifier} - ?{neg modifier})d10>8!

Ranged Combat
/r (@{Ethan Abbas |dex) + @{Ethan Abbas |firearms} + ?{Specialty|No, 0|Yes, 1} + ?{pos modifier} - ?{neg modifier})d10>8!

Thrown Weapon
/r (@{Ethan Abbas |str) + @{Ethan Abbas |athletics} + ?{Specialty|No, 0|Yes, 1} + ?{pos modifier} - ?{neg modifier})d10>8!

Full Dodge
/me is as fast as lightning
/r (@{Ethan Abbas |defense} + @{Ethan Abbas |defense} + ?{modifiers|Nothing,0|Willpower,2|Blood,2})d10>8!

Intimidation
/me is scary as f*ck
/r (@{Ethan Abbas |presence} + @{Ethan Abbas |intimidation} + ?{Specialty|No, 0|Yes, 1} + ?{pos modifier})d10>8!

***Weapon modifiers are not added to the roll to hit, so they have not been factored in***

Let me know if any don't work or if you need a custom one.

pynladfysh fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 24, 2018

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So i am feeling sick today, there isn't game tomorrow and there isn't a hot topic within 10 miles of me making me the saddest vampire in the world.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Herr Tog posted:

So i am feeling sick today, there isn't game tomorrow and there isn't a hot topic within 10 miles of me making me the saddest vampire in the world.

finish your rungs and/or write fan fiction about your dude

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

John Dyne posted:

pynladfysh
Jul 9, 2018

*establishes eye contact*

John Dyne posted:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

John Dyne posted:

i meant game next week but you get the idea. The other of the rungs feel lame and as such make me rather poo poo out something non-threatening and this not really in the spirit of things.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Lame or not, we all did them and we're applying peer pressure cause we want them experience points so

John Dyne posted:

:v:

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

By My Hand This Day,

By Storyteller fiat all rungs are considered to be completed by all players. Go forth and spend your 11 Experiences wisely.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kaynorr posted:

By My Hand This Day,

By Storyteller fiat all rungs are considered to be completed by all players. Go forth and spend your 11 Experiences wisely.

As penance some guy named Thomas Achebe doesn't trust me and a John Nagel is a USMC buddy of mine who doesn't wanna stay in San Diego.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i learned some poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAjznAJe5uQ

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Sorry about last week's hiatus, but we're back this week. The latest chapter, "Liquidity Crisis", will start tonight, Tuesday, September 4th at 7 PM PST. Enjoy an all-night taco truck while you figure out how to dig yourself, and others, into, and out of, various holes.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Took less time than I feared, but here is the Chronciles of Darkness Inherent Powers cheat sheet. One stop shopping for everything that every vampire can do.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Written in Red

Session Three: "Liquidity Crisis"

The coterie moves to meet Althea at the all-night taco place. She is waiting, cutting her tenseness with some local food. They press the young werewolf for details on this whole mess, why she needed the money. She explains that she had a rough life growing up south of the border, but there was a family who took her under their wing after she became friends with Rosa, the daughter of the family. Since then, the two have been close. Rosa had recently gotten involved with one of the scions of the Reyes Cartel, that involvement had resulted in a pregnancy. Now, Althea wanted to get Rosa out of Mexico before the cartel found out.

She cut a deal with a man named Marco, a runner for Felix - a name the entire crew recognized. The Kindred discuss among themselves how to proceed. In the end, rather than just send Althea with the Heroin to the payment meet in hopes of a trade, the coterie instead offers a contract. Knight writes up the details on the eatery's napkins, mainly for two weeks of 'spiritual security consultation' for Whaley House, and some side babysitting for Knight's retainers. In exchange they'd pay her cash enough that she could complete the deal with Felix's people.

Before things wrap, Hector asks Althea for a side favor. He shows her an old bullet scar in his left shoulder, and asks her use claws on him. She thinks it's creepy and weird, but complies, pressing her supernatural nail into the scar, causing some aggravated damage. Hector does his best to compare the pain to the dreams about his sire's last moments. They aren't the same, and Hector believes he's eliminated the werewolves as the culprits in his Sire's murder.

The coterie disperses, time enough remaining in the darkness for a bit of hunting, then back home to Whaley house. The next evening, people touch base. Ethan's contacts can move the Heroin, but it was going to take a few days - likely much longer than the coterie had. Tony has more luck, an old contact indicating he might be able to help out. Hector receives a postcard addressed to him, sporting the image of the Villa Buena Nueva, the back informing him "The Obsidian Butterfly would like to have dinner with you, 6:00 pm."

The coterie agrees to split up for a few hours, Hector heading to the postcard's bar. Tony arranges a meet with his contact and heads out as well. When Hector arrives, he sees a familiar face - Angelica Sawyer of the Circle. An exchange of pleasantries and then right to business.

Sawyer offers to put the squeeze on Don for his public confrontation at Elysium, taking him down a notch. She intimates this assistance would be free if Hector were to join the Circle as his Sire wanted. Hector respectfully hesitates, having pledged to himself to remain unaligned until his Sire's murder is put to rest. She has a counter-offer, but needs an oath of secrecy before she can describe the details. Hector agrees and the two travel to a notary.

Across town, Tony checks in on his contact in a chop shop, hoping to offload the H. Contact is reluctant, both because Tony usually doesn't have this kind of product, but also because H is particularly hard to move at the moment. Tony admits he 'found' the product in a stash-house of dead gangers. The contact appraises the drugs at about 30K street and agrees to take it off Tony's hands for 40K in hopes of helping his old friend out. He drives off leaving Tony to watch the game and wait while the funds are acquired.

Hector and Sawyer travel to one of the many highrises in the city, travelling up to the thirty-seventh floor. Sawyer buzzes in at an intercom, and the pair is ushered onto the floor. A darkened office in the middle of the floor houses Daniel Hoffstetter, the Notary that Sawyer's mistress has on retainer. A Blood Tell Oath is quickly written and presented.

Hector images the contract and runs it by Knight who gives some advice on potential changes. Hector includes one - the right to speak if called to testify by city officers, then signs (though Knight warns him the contract still isn't quite up to snuff).

With her secrecy secured, Sawyer offers to take Don of the Ordo down, attacking the 'free license' he has with Sawyer's mistress. Losing that largess could force Dom to cough up the 40k. She wants three favors in return from the coterie, all going toward encouraging the mesoamerican faction of Sanctified to turn to the Circle Primogen for support and possible complete defection.

Hector counter-offers, worrying he wouldn't be able to support trading three favors for one to the coterie as is. He instead asks that more paired back social hit job be done on Don in exchange for one current boon, and if that goes well, they negotiate for a second and so on. Sawyer accepts.

At the same time, Tony's contact comes back with the money just as he said. Later that night, Althea texts that the meeting with Marco is going down. The location is a parking garage on the outskirts of city territory, the deal to take place on the second level. The coterie supplies her the money, attempting to bolster her confidence to just get things done. She puts her phone on speaker while she heads over to the garage for the transaction, letting the coterie listen in.

"Can I see her?" "When the deal is done." Thump. Zipper. Door opens. Rosa's there, she's sobbing and grateful. Her family as well. "Alright, alright - this reunion can take place somewhere else. I'm good, you're good. Agreed?" "Agreed" "Welcome to America, all four of you."

Althea heads off, asking to meet later at the taco truck. A few minutes after, a white panel truck slips out of the garage, idles a block down until someone else from an alley emerges and hops in the truck - Althea would later recognize the man's picture as Marco's muscle. The van heads off in a different direction than Althea and the family.

When the coterie reunites with Althea and the adoptive family, it is a moment of respite from the traditional Kindred games of Elysium. The family is thankful, and under advice is encouraged to think about where to relocate (Knight and Hector agree that Felix knows about the baby). San Francisco seems likely, the coterie wishes the family luck, and looks forward to having Althea on the payroll.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 5, 2018

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Barbed Tongues posted:

Written in Red

Session Three: "Liquidity Crisis"

Excellent recap as always, thanks Barbed Tongues. Now that we have a full (almost) story under our belt, I want to solicit any feedback you have on things you think worked well and want more of, missteps that could use improvement, and just in general if it's the game everyone feels they signed up for.

One thing in particular is I'm curious how everyone feels about the scene where Thea closes the transaction with Marco and is reunited with Rosa and her family. Story-wise, there are two ways this plays out. The first is where despite the efforts of the group, something goes wrong (most likely Thea mishandles something) and the tension escalates with Marco. A little red dot starts dancing around the parking deck (courtesy of the gunman across the street) and you have to intervene to either salvage the trade or make a rapid escape. The second is roughly what happened - thanks to your preparation, everything goes more-or-less smoothly (albeit tensely) except for the bit of foreboding that Marco, and therefore Felix, probably knows that Rosa is pregnant and might follow-up on that bit of information. How you got there (signing a contract with Thea, giving the heroin to the Latin Kings, starting a partnership with the Circle of the Crone) will come into play going forward but there's no high-stakes climax.

It boils down to what degree you want Murphy's Law to be a constant thorn in your side, versus the slow burn where sometimes, a good plan actually works without a hitch. Both are viable, I tend to think the second tone is more appropriate to Vampire but I'd like to hear thoughts from others.

Also, I'll second what was said in Discord last night - if your Aspirations aren't really fleshed out then now is an excellent time to do so. Despite the complaints in the WoD thread, I think Aspirations are a good mechanic that drive the story forward by having a list of things to be proactive about. I'll keep an eye out for them, as well as opportunities for you to reaffirm your Mask and Dirge as a means of regaining Willpower.

Along that line, Steven Knight has definitely advanced his Aspiration of "Get muscle" by securing a reliable bodyguard for his interests in Thea, so that brings the Group Beat stack up to 23.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
If only I had ever spent more than 1 Willpower because it is impossible for me to not trigger my Jester dirge.

But I do want to add some long term aspirations:

1. Tony wants to reconnect and repair relations with the friends and family he had as a mortal
2. Tony wants to grow his connections with the werewolves, forming more friendships and partnerships
3. Tony wants to learn more about the Uratha part of his ancestry

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I honestly fully expected everything to go wrong with the trade, even as far up to the taco place. I don’t mind when things go wrong, because that’s just what happens sometimes. As long as it doesn’t turn into a Paranoia game where everything the players do eventually goes wrong in the worst ways, of course.

And I’m going to rework my aspirations, also.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I honestly fully expected everything to go wrong with the trade, even as far up to the taco place.

When the plan was to send in Thea by herself with the Hefty Bag Of Drugs, I was frantically searching for maps that could pass for a mostly abandoned parking garage. Not a lot of cover from small arms fire at 1 in the morning...

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

kaynorr posted:

When the plan was to send in Thea by herself with the Hefty Bag Of Drugs, I was frantically searching for maps that could pass for a mostly abandoned parking garage. Not a lot of cover from small arms fire at 1 in the morning...

Would she have even needed our help? Shooting her would just make her more mad.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah but Rosa doesn't know what she is and they had her as a hostage. Plus she seems like an inexperienced werewoof and enough vampires can take a pupper down.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Larger post to come later but I do want to establish that I TOLD Hector about getting his compensation spelled out if not at least outlined AND to get a completion/expiration clause. Also I requested an image of the post counter offer contact and got it.

I also want to inquire with Kaynorr: Does me having this contract explaining secrecy between two parties previously uninvolved count toward my other Aspiration of 'Get Secrets.' But your call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

John Dyne posted:

Yeah but Rosa doesn't know what she is and they had her as a hostage. Plus she seems like an inexperienced werewoof and enough vampires can take a pupper down.

While it's annoyingly inconvenient to make, it's very easy to bring silver ammunition if you know that you might end up having a problem with a werewolf. One shot of dragonsbreath is all a shotgun is good for, but it's a little easier to put a mass of silver on a target. Thea would probably survive (garou form werewolves are one of the most unkillable things in the Chroncles of Darkness) but Rosa and her family are much more fragile, and then you'd have an entirely different set of problems.

Herr Tog posted:

I also want to inquire with Kaynorr: Does me having this contract explaining secrecy between two parties previously uninvolved count toward my other Aspiration of 'Get Secrets.' But your call.

I'd say not; you may want to refine that Aspiration a bit to reflect more of an end goal. "Blackmail someone into doing my bidding" or "Trade a useless secret for something useful". "Get muscle" probably has one more milestone in it, when you've got something more reliable and/or loyal than Thea lined up.