Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Interest post! Mon-Tue @ 7 good, Wed @ 7:30 good. Have a roll20 account, but haven't used it for anything yet. May need some beginner's allowance if there's a learning curve. Requiem 1E and 2E experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Can do. I'm about halfway through reading Microscope, hope to finish up this weekend.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

My preference is token representation of non-focus splats. Less globe-spanning Mage/Wolf Conspiracies, and more local 'weird' players in the supernatural scene. Less Seers of the Throne manipulating politics, more creepy morticians who can use some kind of Auspex on the dead for a price, one-off antagonists, etc.

But I'm flexible!

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

I was thinking about pitching San Diego, so I'll vote for California Coast, with some American Southwest flavor to cover that Alta California feeling.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

kaynorr posted:

Let's have everyone throw a single Yes vote to begin, then keep going around the group.

Yes: A robust and effusive Cacophony

For those catching up, in Requiem the Cacophony is a masquerade-friendly way for Kindred to communicate. Think social media for vampires. Depending on how you run it, it can be as simple as graffiti tags that stand out to Kindred senses and mark a given hunting ground, all the way to heavily coded facebook posts that seem like fluff to normal folks, but actually impart info from the latest Elysium gathering to those readers with a beast.

I would like to see the Cacophony as an important and regular source of Kindred information and rumor.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Teusday would be perfect for me next week, though I can also do Monday.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

See you folks tonight!

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

I've also got a +1 for tonight to try and fill that 5th seat. Will get him in the thread this afternoon.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

home finally, I hope everything went wonderfully.

John Dyne was also a no-show, so we postponed again.

I am also available tonight if the stars align, otherwise next week is pretty open for me.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Good for Tuesday

Monday as a backup works, too

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Made .png files for all the current Periods/Scenes/Events, uploaded to: Google Drive

Tried to guess at whether some were Light/Dark - trivial effort to change the ones I got wrong.

@Kaynorr - I've been tooling around with Roll20 decks, and think I have working versions that would let you or everyone draw blank Light/Dark Periods/Events/Scenes to place on the board. But - I don't see a way to make dynamic text fields on the cards, so you'd still need to gently caress around with layers to add details (until I can image them fully).

Here's the Link to the Test Game I set them up in if you want to poke around: https://app.roll20.net/join/3452036/7VUv7A

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

John Dyne posted:

Eh, I think that's a Florida thing.

I look forward to fleshing out the baron of Tijuana, because like gently caress the Camarilla are gonna be able to keep more than a scraping fingernail hold on fuckin' Tijuana of all places. It's like a white dude in a cowboy get up in the middle of Compton.

No such thing as Camarilla* / Anarchs / Sabbat in Requiem. The five Covenants all share some aspects of the three old school sects, but there's a lot more overlap between them, and a lot less open warfare in general. You can have anarcho-capitalist Invictus, and/or fascist Carthians, and/or Sabbat style rituals in the Sanctified or Circle, etc.

* There was an international Vampiric Order called the Camarilla, but it fell in the old Roman Days.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Requiem was built specifically with a more sandboxy ruleset in mind. Each city is more isolated, and politics are much more local than the global organizations of Masquerade. Still, many of the same themes apply, though they've been condensed distributed differently. Clan/Sect designations evolved into Clan/Covenant, both set at 5 Major (there are some Minor Covenants and Lost Clans, because Onyx Path still likes weird one-off things).

The Base Five Clans are now predicated on vampiric archetypes:

Gangrel: Feral/Wild Vampires (Protean Discipline: Animal Traits and Shapechanging)
Daeva: Sexy/Alluring Vampires (Majesty Discipline: Charm Person and Social Juice)
Mekhet: Occultic/Mysterious Vampires (Auspex Discipline: Telepethy)
Nosferatu: Monstrous Vampires (Nightmare Discpline: Illusion and Fear)
Ventrue: Noble/Lordly Vampires (Dominate Discpline: Mind Control)

The Covenants are your chosen political group:

Carthian Movement: Vampires whoare attempting to utilize modern government and power systems to gain prominence. Bonus Power - Carthian Law, think metagamey cheat codes for enforcing their laws.
Circle of the Crone: A conglomeration of neo-pagan and marginalized religions banding together. Bonus Power - Cruac, think the sabbat bloodletting and fire rituals.
Invictus: neo-feudal powerbrokers, just as at home in Victorian Guilds, Union movements, Board Rooms, Mafia Dens. Wherever power accrues, they adapt. Bonus Power - Invictus Oaths. Blood contracts that enforce their provisions and grant bonuses.
Lancea et Sanctum: Judeo-Christian monsters cursed by god to be the wolves against the flock of humanity. Bonus Power - Theban Sorcery - Religious Thaumaturgy.
The Ordo Dracul: Aleister Crowley combines magic and mad science. Bonus Powers - Mysteries of the Dragon, inherent bonuses that seek to turn the natural weaknesses of Vampire into strengths and abilities.

Traditionally, the Invictus and Carthians are at odds, while the Circle and Sanctified are at odds. Though there are many examples of these dynamics being turned upside down from Praxis to Praxis.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Totally Left-Field Idea - For unknown reasons, the last will and testament of the just slain Harpy names as beneficiaries: [The Player-Characters]. As a second twist - This trove of random boons, favors and secrets may only be cashed in by a 3/5 majority of us. (The actual favors are the macguffin that always get us in trouble, or if we want to get more scooby than political - a stipulation that we have to solve the Harpy's murder, etc.)

Thoughts for my character, I'm leaning Ventrue Circle of the Crone.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Practicing my flow-chart-fu.

In other news, with this disparate a cast shaping up so far, I really do think we should talk about group theme or at the very least specifically address PvP. In my experience it is easy to fall to internal conflict when running with pick up groups and there's no solid unifying reason to be a coterie. Already a lot of traditional themes are out the window (Same Clan, Covenant, Bloodline, Brood) so I don't think this should be underestimated. My concern is without a theme, we'll just fall back to an impromptu meta-theme of 'who-already-knows-who' battlelines.

I'm not too interested in a full PvP game, I personally think those work better as LARPs than tabletop games. Small scale conflicts and competitions between the PCs is great, but the heavy stuff - blood bonding, killing or hardcore screwing each other over is tricky to pull off even with experienced groups.

Requiem is better than Masqerade in this sense, because the Covenants all work together in Requiem far better than the Sects in Masquerade, but that's no guarantee.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 26, 2018

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

I basically have my character's background but I need to know what the limits are before I create people and things. The flow chart has something that maybe I disagree with that aren't wrong. I'm sorry, I'm trying not to be a nit picky rear end hole

What's your background beyond Clan+Covenant? And what's the nitpick?

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Here's a link to my White Wolf library, feel free to read, just don't distribute - and if you get a lot of use out of anything, consider buying something from Onyx Path if you haven't already and your financial situation is cool.

Clan/Covenant and Bloodline books are all in there. Anything marked 2E is canon, anything marked 1E is (mostly) thematically canon, though some mechanics (like bloodline abilities) may need conversions to 2E systems. Ignore the Ars Magica stuff.

Couple ST questions:

How do you want to handle Kindred Status? (Chargen caps, dynamic no-XP system, XP only, etc).

I'm assuming 0 XP sheets, but any limit on actual Kindred age?

How do you view / implement influence merits like Allies, Contacts, etc?

Group or individual beats?

I'm sure I'll have more. : )

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

kaynorr posted:

What app are you using for it? I'm going to try and diagram out the major social engines of the city and anything would be better than Paint++ and my terrible freehand drawing skills.

Real Time Board - I'm on the free version which caps the numbers of different playmats, basically, you can have. Though nothing stops you from tracking multiple charts on the same board, you can set up frames for the different sections. And its pretty easy to set up multiple free accounts if you have junk emails or gmail.

Here's the link to the Secret History chart I drew up. There may be caps on the number of collaborators who can be active on a board at once with the free version, but I'm not sure.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Made a discord server for brainstorming: https://discord.gg/tFGUwd6

If someone else wants to host it or get one in trad_games instead, I can ditch it.

John Dyne posted:

On that note I may consider not being a Lancey Boi because I don't really know much about them and I don't wanna deal with blood magic too much. Staying a gangrel, but I may bounce ideas off IPVG or someone on Discord.

John - Sanctified fit perfectly into the culling of spiritual/sorcerous stuff and not all Sanctified deal with Blood Sorcery, in fact there's a Merit which lets you swear off ever learning blood sorcery, in exchange for some magical resistance bonuses to sorcery instead. But really any Covenant (or none at all) can be molded that way with a little effort.

Diplomats/Civil Servants to the wolves would be interesting.

There could potentially be big influence / territory vacuums with the Hunters and the Tijuana migrations, and our crew gets put in charge of one. Port District, passage-fee collectors at the border, Scripps, etc.

We could have all lost someone in the hunter culling and formed a sort of support group.

Since we're at starting XP, we could all be new vampires under the accounting (think the probationary period before joining a Covenant) who stick together for the power in numbers and stay in touch.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Hector Andronicus, Unaligned Ventrue
Childe of the late Allen Tremaine
Reformed Smuggler

Born in Tijuana. As a kid, had a knack with being sociable. Turns more selfish with it as he gets older, by end of primary school, already dabbling in petty crime, pawn schemes, atm scams. Never joins a particular gang or cartel, sort of acts as a free agent. A few more years under his belt and he winds up concentrating on border smuggling. Contraband, at first. Later, with people. Gets busted in 2006, jailed for three months, and deported. Starts over, but learns from the mistakes and starts with legal avenues. Attends night school. Learns the in and outs of border politics, policies, economics. Incorporates a business. Offers legal expiditions of border cases, but hits a brick wall in clients because of his record - getting mostly criminals. And wtih very few legitimate clients, the criminal ones looked more and more neccessary.

He's approached by Tremaine, offered a new life, an immortal life. Hell yeah, he's in. This new life is experienced with a new persona / aspect of himself to express. This becomes very literal for him. Changes last name from Spanish to Roman, changes appearance almost completely, goes blonde. In this new life he founds a charity that funds and assists asylum seekers of exceptional merit. For Hector, this was a way to express his humanity. To help those not of means, but of measure, start a new life here. For Hector's Sire, it meant a steady influx of talented individuals who would ripe for the plucking as retainers.

His accounting had initally consisted of a lot of social rehabilitation. Really learning the nuances of Kindred etiquettes, and as such the nuances of human etiquettes which influenced them. He was active as a Chorus member in the Circle, and he was on the traditional path to joining fully. Then his Sire is murdered at the hands of the Lancea et Sanctum. It's a traumatic moment for him. In the aftermath, he finds an eclectic support group of sorts with other younger Kindred in the city who had also lost people during the recent conflicts (these are the other PCs). Now wanting to buy some time before making a final decision on joining the Circle, Hector participates in the group bid for territory. He thinks it will make a good trial by fire, giving a taste of what he could accomplish under pressure. Might drive up his value as a recruit, assuming he pulls it off.

The final complication is recent. Hector knew his Sire was heavily involved in a secret society in the city. He knew that the society aligned itself with the gods of his Bloodline. It took months of searching, then more months of introductions, but Hector has just been formally invited to initiate with the group. Hector hopes he will find someone who knew his Sire as a compatriot, someone who could speak to the kind of legacy his sire would have wanted to leave behind.

code:
   ================================== Sheet =================================
   Name: Hector Andronicus         Mask: Nurturer                  Clan: Ventrue
   Player: Barbed Tongues          Dirge: Social Chameleon         Bloodline: Nahualli
   Chronicle: Written in Red       Concept: Reformed Smuggler      Covenant: Unaligned

=============================== Attributes ===============================
   Intelligence: o o o             Strength: o o                   Presence: o o o
   Wits: o o                       Dexterity: o o                  Manipulation: o o
   Resolve: o o o                  Stamina: o o                    Composure: o o o

================================= Skills =================================
   Academics: o                    Athletics: o o                  Animal Ken: 
   Computer:                       Brawl: o                        Empathy: o o
   Crafts:                         Drive:                          Expression: o o
   Investigation: o                Firearms: o                     Intimidation: 
   Medicine:                       Larceny: o o                  * Persuasion: o o (bribery)
   Occult: o                       Stealth: o                      Socialize: o 
   Politics: o (borders)           Survival:                     * Streetwise: o o o (cacophony, territory)
   Science:                        Weaponry:                     * Subterfuge: o o (impersonation)

===== Disciplines =====         ===== Merits =====              ===== Traits =====
   Auspex: o o                     Alternate Identity: o o o       Blood Potency: 1
   Dominate: o o                   Cacophony Savvy: o              Health: 7
   Tezcatl: o                      Contacts: o o                   Willpower: 6
                                   - Tijuana Criminals             Humanity: 7
                                   - Border Agents                 Size 5
                                   Haven: o                        Speed: 9
                                   Multilingual: o                 Initiative: 5
                                   - Nahuatl                       Defense: 4
                                   - Spanish
                                   Mystery Cult Initiation: o
                                   Prof. Training: o o o o
                                   Retainer: o o o o o
                                   Safe Place: o
Starting Aspirations:
  • Smoking Mirror, Smoking Gun: Where Hector explores a Mystery Cult for insight into his sire's life.
  • Castle in the Sand: Where Hector assists in the restoration of Catalina Island in hopes of a payoff.
  • Ventrue Capital: Where Hector is encouraged to restart his border operations by the Ventrue Clan leadership.
Starting Touchstone: The Activist - She's in it for the cause. Despite this world, she's kept her empathy intact. A bight spot of selflessness that keeps Hector grounded. She helps those seeking asylum simply for the good of it, free of the Masquerade or the knowledge of monsters. Free to take chances for other people. Out of one part admiration, one part protectiveness - Hector will intervene to make sure she can keep doing so.

=== Climbing the Ladder ===

Confront Vulnerability: Hector's low point was his arrest and deportation. He still doesn't know exactly how he was busted out. Edward (more colloquially known as Eddie Spaghetti on the streets) is Hector's old partner in crime on the American side of the border, both caught in the sting. Once the arrest happened, we were separated and tried as individuals because of our differing legal status. It also fed into Hector's paranoia at the bust itself. Had his partner been involved? Was this a set up? Who was pulling the strings?
  • The Abandoned: [Hector] ⤇ Abandoned ⤇ [Edward Sparcetti] ⤇ Works For ⤇ [Mesa]

Edward Sparcetti (Ghoul)

Believe Someone Has The Answers: Among the groups in Tijuana, the Cártel Arellano Félix is the group Hector built the biggest working relationship with. He learned a lot from that organization, though never became a full member. The leader of the cartel is Enedina Arellano Félix - after her brothers were incarcerated or killed, she had stepped up to take over finances of the cartel, coming to power on her own and entering the world of the undead. Brujah bloodline (Gangrel w/ Vigor).
  • The False Prophet: [Hector] ⤆ Fooled ⤆ [Enedina Félix] ⤆ Investigating ⤆ [Knight]

Enedina Félix (Gangrel, Covenant Unspecified)

Leave A Witness: Hector's charity, Border Angels, is no stranger to adversity. A group which helps migrants in seeking government assistance, asylum and education, it has sometimes run afoul of bureaucratic officers. As Hector was learning how to mitigate his beast's various suggestions (tearing out the throat of an aggressive Border Sec lawyer, for example) in tense legal situations, he began to rely a little too heavy on Dominate. Asali Uzair is the mortal brain behind Hector's charity, serving as his liaison to other employees and vendors, part personal assistant, part chief officer. Smart, successful, empathetic - she realized that Hector had some sort of golden tongue ability to see even the most hostile of visitors calmed and suggestible. While she doesn't know exactly what Hector is, she knows his ability is more than simply natural force of personality, and now she has begun to suspect others in Hector's orbit.
  • The Breach: [Hector] ⤇ Sloppy With Dominate ⤇ [Asali Uzair] ⤇ Suspects ⤇ [Brixton]

Asali Uzair (Mortal, Executive Assistant)

Meet Your Maker: The beast has a special place in both the Circle of the Crone and the Nahualli bloodline. Rather than see it as a force to be feared or rejected, the Nahualli teach that it must be balanced. The human aspect and the bestial aspect of Kindred existence form a duality that must be respected and cultivated. The Kindred who succumb fully to the beast show an easy extreme of this, with their permanent frenzy or evolution into draugr. But, too, those who pursue the path of raw humanity - they suffer just as much, and are dangers to the Masquerade and the All-Night-Society. Hector was brought up in both of these traditions under his Sire, Allen Tremaine. A social member of the Circle, Tremaine's arc took him to the heights of Chief Harpy, only for it to falter with his murder at the hands of the Lancea et Sanctum. Before his death, Tremaine was seen as articulate, intelligent and commanding - an angel investor for many small business and charities. But behind the scenes, his worship of the Crone - in the form of the Obsidian Butterfly - was brutal, bloody and unrepentant. As Harpy, his ability to switch fluidly between these extreme personas made him a difficult Ventrue to account for.
  • Your Maker: [Hector] ⤇ My Kindred Archetype ⤇ [Allen Tremain] ⤇ My Kindred Archetype ⤇ [TBD: Dyne]

Allen Tremaine (Circle, Ventrue, Deceased)

Find Your Fear: It was only natural at some point for Hector to think purely of economics when considering work that involved other people. To calculate how much the risk of helping them across the border would cost, how much would his margin be on the payout, to define just exactly how much of a loss it meant should one of his clients perish. He calculated that number - and it was much lower than he thought. He pulled away from those thoughts as a mortal, but that number stayed in his mind. He tries not to think about it, tries not to let it into his cognizance, to not let himself run the calculations again. He was immortal now, and people were literally livestock for many of his kind. Some part of him knows that number is even smaller now, but maybe if he never thinks about it, it will never tempt him. Hector's monster is Tlahuicole - the Circle of the Crone Primogen, a Mekhet ritualist who championed the adaptation of the Mesoamerican pantheon by the Covenant. His personal faith lies calls upon the Centzonmimixcoa, the alien gods of the 400 North Stars. Mighty serpents who once terrorized the earth, they were slain by a coterie of five divine heroes (According to him, the first of the Clans). He also claims to speak to them through the void, and that they speak back. How much smaller would Hector's number be if he spoke with the gods like 'Cole?
  • Your Nightmare: [Hector] ⤇ I See A Monster ⤇ [Tlahuicole ] ⤇ I Want Something From Them ⤇ [Edward Sparcetti]

Tlahuicole (Circle Primogen, Mekhet)

Suffer Your Defects: In Hector's quest to learn about his Sire, he went looking for a place in a secret fraternity in which his Sire once held membership. A playground for the rich who ritualized their meetings, the group had closed ranks making membership extremely difficult. Growing frustrated, Hector relied once again on his Ventrue abilities to command someone to sponsor him. Hector's sponsor would be The Davenports, a pair he stalked and dominated to believe he had serious blackmail material over, then further dominating them to sponsor his application. It worked. Their sponsorship allowed Hector onto the ground floor, but the domination will eventually unravel, and Hector will eventually have to face this powerful mortal couple.
  • The Victim: [Hector] ⤇ Blackmailed ⤇ [The Davenports] ⤆ Will Avenge ⤆ [Christian Thomas]

The Davenports (Mortal Power Couple)

Beg Someone, Anyone To Fix You: Without his Sire, Hector fell to working with members of the Clan to fill that now-empty spot for Kindred family. Cue the Ventrue Priscus, one Ruby Rey, taking an interest in Hector. Her sponsorship got him involved in the Whaley House reconstruction and the last part of his Accounting. And now he's on the hook for all of that.
  • The Opportunist: [Hector] ⤇ Owes Big ⤇ [Ruby Rey] ⤇ Cashing Debt in For ⤇ [Brixton]

Ruby Rey (Ventrue Priscus, Covenant Unspecified)

Remember Your Victims: Hector recently participated in the first large scale event in the Mystery Cult. To his surprise, it involved a murder. And the manner in which it was carried out - in front of the secret membership according to the old rites - Hector recognized aspects that were similar to his Sire's sacrificial rites of Cruac. Had his sire been involved in the foundation of this cult? Was this bordering on a breach of the Masquerade? That the entire membership was involved in human sacrifice bound them together - Hector, the Davenports, the rest - they were all complicit. Anastasia Malayev was the sacrificial lamb, a Russian immagrant hoping to be a model. Someone int he cult had taken her in, no doubt, though Hector didn't know who.
  • The Victim: [Hector] ⤇ Participated in her Sacrifice ⤇ [Anastasia Malayev] ⤆ Friends ⤆ [TBD: Tog & Kaynorr]

Embrace A Wrong: The Nahualli bloodline teaches a path of duality between the aspects of Beast and Man which war inside each Kindred. The line is taught to recognize and embrace both of these halves, to know both darkness and light, to know both humanity and monstrosity - so that they might experience all creation has to offer. The Circle of the Crone itself has a tenuous connection to traditional human morality, and it served no obstacle to indulging in the bloodline practices, some of which Hector was required to take part in. When Hector first formed a relationship with Tremaine, there was already a ghoul in the older Ventrue's employ by the name of Rowan Finch. Finch was attentive, loyal and committed to Tremaine - but that wasn't enough to avoid being passed over for the embrace. With Tremaine's death, Finch is now a loose cannon, free from the Vinculum and free to pursue an agenda of hatred against Hector, the man he blames for it all.
  • The Bête Noire: [Hector] ⤇ I Took His Place ⤇ [Rowan Finch] ⤇ Willing To Help ⤇ [Helen Evans]

Find Like Minds: With Hector's sire destroyed, his immediate connection to the Circle of the Crone was shattered, at least in the short term. Taking his time to try and find himself again, he found himself reaching out to others who had also lost someone in the recent (for Kindred) turmoil. In addition to the other PCs, one of these individual is the neonate Dinah, part of the Morman branch of Sanctified in San Diego. She's a neonate in a little over her head in the Domain, but has been a good source of information about the Sanctified.
  • The Dupe: [Hector] ⤇ Uses for Information ⤇ [Dinah] ⤇ Believes True Friend ⤇ [Hector]

Dinah (Sanctified, Clan Unspecified)

Seize the Night: Many Ancillae and especially Elders discount the idea of a coterie. At some point you can no longer trust other Kindred by these philosophies, so such connections represent only risk and weakness. Hector doesn't (currently, at least) agree. The crew he runs with is an eclectic group, bound in commonality by two things - grief, and joint project. It started out as the five of them working in common cause on their shared haven, but Hector believes they could do so much more as a group if they put their minds and efforts toward something more. Unexpectedly, the Ventrue Priscus has also taken notice of Hector and the group and is cashing in. Hector has been asked to mentor (read - babysit) a fledgling revenant, an accidental embrace. Brixton is a gutterpunk kid that someone fed on and killed, a twist of fate bringing her back as an undead without a known maker.
  • The Enabled: [Hector] ⤇ Surrogate Childe ⤇ [Brixton] ⤇ Competition ⤇ [TBD: Fish]

Brixton (Unaligned, Revenant)

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 13, 2018

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

kaynorr posted:

If we have time and are so inclined, there is an optional group brainstorming exercise in the V:tR 2E corebook called "Climbing the Ladder" that I'd like to consider.

So, the nice thing about Climbing the Ladder (in addition to populating at-jump connected NPCs) is that the 12 questions are completely optional. The incentive is normally 1 bonus xp per question, which is a sweet incentive for starting characters. That said, it's intensive if you want to get through it all, and if people are already feeling their creative juice is running low after microscope, there might be a temptation to pass a lot.

Personally, I like it and think it adds a lot of interesting depth. But to get through all 12 questions tonight, plus finalizing sheets I think is too much to realistically ask for where we are at. A compromise could be to shoot for 4-6 questions each tonight, then let people who are interested in the rest do them over the course of the week. If one or more people would rather not do any, then I'm mixed on if the rest of the group should still go through with it, as that will saddle both an XP and setting disadvantage on the people that skip.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Weekends tend to be bad for me across the board, so I am very reluctant to commit.

That said, what if we did a soft session on Friday to finish Climbing the Ladder, then shoot for next Tuesday as the first session? I'll finish up my rungs via discord if I can't do Friday.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Written in Red

Chapter One: "The Fine Print"

Session One: "Where there's a wolf, there's a way"

Hector has a particularly intense nightmare of his sire's killing, a reenactment of everything he went through when Tremaine perished, everything Hector felt through the sympathy of blood. It leaves him spooked at the start of a very important evening. It is the night of the Prince's first gathering of the year, Jan 7th, 2017. Luckily, he planned ahead and fed the night before, so has time to perhaps center himself.

Johann is attending an old school fighting game night, a needed gathering for his particular hunting style. The group isn't functioning well, a pair of Smash Bros players bogarting their game and being hyper aggressive. Johann intervenes to offer them a special SB only night in exchange for them chilling out. They agree, and Johann takes the opportunity to feed on them.

Elysium is being held at an art gallery, under the Keepership of Daeva priscus Lynn Guerrero. Ethan arrives, seeing one of the Ordo (Don Coronado) berating the Elysia help as they park his ostentatious lambroghini. A woman Ethan doesn't recognize approaches Don, they begin to have a heated discussion. Ethan hangs back to spectate. The two seem to know each other, the conversation slowly escalating until one shoves the other. Don begins to posture back at the woman

Woman: "Where's my loving money?"
Don: "We had a deal - you got your money, what's the problem?"
W: "There was no money, rear end in a top hat."
D: "Not my problem."
W: "It will be your problem if I don't get my money."

Woman looks a little burlier as the physical confrontation starts. She grabs him by the throat, becoming noticeably physically bigger. Don notices Ethan and waves him over for help. Ethan tries to de-escalate the situation, gets backtalk from the woman, but he manages to talk her down a little bit when she realizes this is a full gathering for Vampires. "So what's the protocol when someone has ripped you off?" Ethan fully realizes she is a werewolf, warns her of the consequences of escalating.

"You think I'm afraid of a bunch of loving vampires?" She slams Don into the wall, shifting into a not-fully-human form. Fangs and other bestial aspects start to appear.

Tony hears the commotion and appraches the group. He recognizes her as Thea - one of the Steelhounds pack and calls out to her. She's surprised to recognize someone, but meanwhile Don bares his fangs and goes super aggressive in cursing at her. Tony tries to keep her attention on himself, engaging her. Don slowly climbs to his feet, demands someone gets the Sheriff to handle the rogue werewolf.

Tony lights up Don, warning him he's about to be a smear on the street if he doesn't shape up. Don takes it to heart, explains to Thea that the stash house he pointed her to should have had the cash he promised. Things start to calm until Don calls her a bitch. She squares up with claws starting to extend, until the group hears the cocking of a gun.

The Sheriff has arrived. "I don't care who owes who, this isn't happening here, this isn't happening now."

Thea looks to Tony for a cue on who this guy is, and Tony is brutally honest that she doesn't want to push anything now.

"I can load all six silver bullets into this revolver before you can even move," the Sheriff adds, reminding everyone they trained under Wyatt Earp.

Thea backs down but comments, "We are not done, Don." She postures, but also slinks away. Sheriff keeps the gun on her until she is far out of range and out of sight. "What the gently caress was that?"

Court is now in session, Hector arrives with a gift for the Keeper of Elysium, and old monogrammed piece by a mortal once in her intimate circle, she remembers the man fondly and expresses appreciation. Elsewhere, after hearing the gossip about Don's situation, Knight confronts the young Ordo hotshot. Knights finds out the issue is over around 20K but was all verbal or unenforceable agreements. Knight encourages him to just pay up and not get killed over some petty cash. Don claims to have the ear of his Primogen, and to be unafraid of any consequences from the werewolf.

The Prince arrives and has his Herald make an announcement. He anounces that the Sanctified Katherine Espinoza is no longer a Primogen on the Prince's Council. The Sanctified may rejoin his Council upon the agreement of no less than 10 Sanctified citizens on the following two issues:

* A true accounting of the destruction of Allen Tremaine
* An agreed upon individual for the Lancea Sanctum Primogen spot.

Katherine is surprised by this turn of events and scurries to her people as soon as she can.

The Sheriff approaches Knight, reminding him that making sure there are no confrontations between Kindred and Werewolves is the Prince's desire. Knight agrees with the sentiment. The Sheriff hints that the Prince would like the situation resolved. Knight asks how much leeway he might have in solving this if he were so inclined - could Don go missing, for example. The Sheriff hedges - the problem needs to go away, but neither Don or Thea should. The Sheriff grants Knight's request of a little starter cash (4K) - but it isn't close to the 20K estimate needed to solve things in one shot.

Hector approaches Dinah, one of the Sanctified Mormons - probing her on information about the Sanctified. She's somewhat pleased that Katherine went down publicly. She knows the Prince isn't stupid, so this means as long as three factions band together, they can have the fourth take the fall. Hector reminds Dinah that no one in the city is closer to Tremaine's blood than him, and that Hector does know some information through sympathy that night. He makes clear that while the Prince may just want a fall guy, Hector is interested in the actual truth. And that if bullshit evidence is presented to the court, Hector's instinct would be to counter it. Hector recommends the Lance simply loop him in on the information or evidence they uncover, Dinah recommends Hector find a way to sweeten the pot if he wants the Lance to in essence work for him.

Knight approaches Mesa, a fellow Mekhet Invictus who is one of the two major cross-border players. Knight hopes he will be able to get information from Mesa in the future about his matter with the Sheriff. Mesa is very willing to trade info - trade.

The coterie discusses the Sheriff's 'offer' - agrees that they are on the hook for solving this after the generous territory grant. Hector recommends they just steal Don's car and hand it over, but also cautions the Ordo might be especially hostile because of their loss of Whaley House. They decide to approach Don and try and get information on the stash, setting up the potential to investigate the location - find out why the money wasn't there. Especially when they wonder if someone is deliberately sabotaging agreements between the Kindred and Wolves.

The group approaches Don, manages to get the address of the safe house. Hector gets a good use of Auspex on Don while Knight convinces Don they have a chance of solving this problem for him. The conversation becomes a back and forth as Don tries to puff himself up and Knight sees right though it. In the end no agreement is formally struck, but Don understands what is happening. Hector learns that Don is a competitor, that he's afraid of looking pathetic and that he actually knows he's a blowhard and that it's a weakness, that he does actually believe his Covenant will side with him on this, and finally that of the people at the gathering Don most respects the Ordo Primogen. The group breaks away, intending to now investigate the stash house.

Hector reminds himself that during the conversation Don insulted the coterie three times. While it was fair to go after Knight, his insults were too broad in application. He now believes Don will need to be taken down a notch publicly, to not let the insults slide, no matter how this resolves. Letting an insult go unanswered in front of the court is not something his sire would have allowed.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 15, 2018

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

John Dyne posted:

i think there may be some inaccuracies here

Feel free to fix, balls in your court.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Session Two: "The Velocity of Money"
Jan 8th, 2017 - 02:00

Tony calls his werewolf connection, Barrett, angling for information on Thea. Tony gives the quick lowdown on the confrontation. Tony lets slip that Don is actually in the wrong, getting Barrett's hackles up. He agrees to act as an intermediary, asking the crew to sit tight for a few hours.

Hector suggests they check out the spot (345 Carlos Street, Mount Hope Neighborhood) rather than sit around. A section of town near greenfield cemetery. John keeps a lookout while Ethan sneaks his way toward the house. John spots a car with people in it a block or so away, as if they are watching the house themselves. Ethan notices them as well, texting the group an alert.

Johann approaches the car with some of his Daeva juice leading the way, while Knight sneaks up the back. The guys are prickly to say the least, untrusting of the approach. The driver reveals a handgun, trying to intimidate Johann away - who only ups his charm levels on the mortal - it doesn't take, and the threat is reiterated.

Tony attempts to sneak toward the house during the distraction, unfortunately his phone goes off with a return text from Barrett (He lets Tony know where to meet Thea). This draws the attention of the mortal, and the driver grabs his gun fully.

All hell breaks loose.

One gunshot goes off, but the two men are subdued. Hector mesmerizes the passenger, taking him back to the other car while Knight, Johann and Tony take care of the driver. Ethan sneaks fully into the house, finding out it had obviously already been broken into.

Hector interrogates the passenger, discovering they are part of the Blacktop crew, sent here to sit on a safe house that had been hit. Inside, Ethan discovers a dead body in some sort of panic room as well as a a large heroin stash (40K street value). The driver identifies the body as one of theirs.

The two Blacktoppers get corralled, intimidated, and dominated to keep their mouths shut for at least a little while, buying the Kindred some time before their meeting with Thea - at an all night taco stand.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

John Dyne posted:

finish your rungs and/or write fan fiction about your dude

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Written in Red

Session Three: "Liquidity Crisis"

The coterie moves to meet Althea at the all-night taco place. She is waiting, cutting her tenseness with some local food. They press the young werewolf for details on this whole mess, why she needed the money. She explains that she had a rough life growing up south of the border, but there was a family who took her under their wing after she became friends with Rosa, the daughter of the family. Since then, the two have been close. Rosa had recently gotten involved with one of the scions of the Reyes Cartel, that involvement had resulted in a pregnancy. Now, Althea wanted to get Rosa out of Mexico before the cartel found out.

She cut a deal with a man named Marco, a runner for Felix - a name the entire crew recognized. The Kindred discuss among themselves how to proceed. In the end, rather than just send Althea with the Heroin to the payment meet in hopes of a trade, the coterie instead offers a contract. Knight writes up the details on the eatery's napkins, mainly for two weeks of 'spiritual security consultation' for Whaley House, and some side babysitting for Knight's retainers. In exchange they'd pay her cash enough that she could complete the deal with Felix's people.

Before things wrap, Hector asks Althea for a side favor. He shows her an old bullet scar in his left shoulder, and asks her use claws on him. She thinks it's creepy and weird, but complies, pressing her supernatural nail into the scar, causing some aggravated damage. Hector does his best to compare the pain to the dreams about his sire's last moments. They aren't the same, and Hector believes he's eliminated the werewolves as the culprits in his Sire's murder.

The coterie disperses, time enough remaining in the darkness for a bit of hunting, then back home to Whaley house. The next evening, people touch base. Ethan's contacts can move the Heroin, but it was going to take a few days - likely much longer than the coterie had. Tony has more luck, an old contact indicating he might be able to help out. Hector receives a postcard addressed to him, sporting the image of the Villa Buena Nueva, the back informing him "The Obsidian Butterfly would like to have dinner with you, 6:00 pm."

The coterie agrees to split up for a few hours, Hector heading to the postcard's bar. Tony arranges a meet with his contact and heads out as well. When Hector arrives, he sees a familiar face - Angelica Sawyer of the Circle. An exchange of pleasantries and then right to business.

Sawyer offers to put the squeeze on Don for his public confrontation at Elysium, taking him down a notch. She intimates this assistance would be free if Hector were to join the Circle as his Sire wanted. Hector respectfully hesitates, having pledged to himself to remain unaligned until his Sire's murder is put to rest. She has a counter-offer, but needs an oath of secrecy before she can describe the details. Hector agrees and the two travel to a notary.

Across town, Tony checks in on his contact in a chop shop, hoping to offload the H. Contact is reluctant, both because Tony usually doesn't have this kind of product, but also because H is particularly hard to move at the moment. Tony admits he 'found' the product in a stash-house of dead gangers. The contact appraises the drugs at about 30K street and agrees to take it off Tony's hands for 40K in hopes of helping his old friend out. He drives off leaving Tony to watch the game and wait while the funds are acquired.

Hector and Sawyer travel to one of the many highrises in the city, travelling up to the thirty-seventh floor. Sawyer buzzes in at an intercom, and the pair is ushered onto the floor. A darkened office in the middle of the floor houses Daniel Hoffstetter, the Notary that Sawyer's mistress has on retainer. A Blood Tell Oath is quickly written and presented.

Hector images the contract and runs it by Knight who gives some advice on potential changes. Hector includes one - the right to speak if called to testify by city officers, then signs (though Knight warns him the contract still isn't quite up to snuff).

With her secrecy secured, Sawyer offers to take Don of the Ordo down, attacking the 'free license' he has with Sawyer's mistress. Losing that largess could force Dom to cough up the 40k. She wants three favors in return from the coterie, all going toward encouraging the mesoamerican faction of Sanctified to turn to the Circle Primogen for support and possible complete defection.

Hector counter-offers, worrying he wouldn't be able to support trading three favors for one to the coterie as is. He instead asks that more paired back social hit job be done on Don in exchange for one current boon, and if that goes well, they negotiate for a second and so on. Sawyer accepts.

At the same time, Tony's contact comes back with the money just as he said. Later that night, Althea texts that the meeting with Marco is going down. The location is a parking garage on the outskirts of city territory, the deal to take place on the second level. The coterie supplies her the money, attempting to bolster her confidence to just get things done. She puts her phone on speaker while she heads over to the garage for the transaction, letting the coterie listen in.

"Can I see her?" "When the deal is done." Thump. Zipper. Door opens. Rosa's there, she's sobbing and grateful. Her family as well. "Alright, alright - this reunion can take place somewhere else. I'm good, you're good. Agreed?" "Agreed" "Welcome to America, all four of you."

Althea heads off, asking to meet later at the taco truck. A few minutes after, a white panel truck slips out of the garage, idles a block down until someone else from an alley emerges and hops in the truck - Althea would later recognize the man's picture as Marco's muscle. The van heads off in a different direction than Althea and the family.

When the coterie reunites with Althea and the adoptive family, it is a moment of respite from the traditional Kindred games of Elysium. The family is thankful, and under advice is encouraged to think about where to relocate (Knight and Hector agree that Felix knows about the baby). San Francisco seems likely, the coterie wishes the family luck, and looks forward to having Althea on the payroll.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 5, 2018

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Synopsis: Timbers Cut From A Family Tree

The group is brought to the Prince's mansion, where the Prince intends to meet with Tony on the back patio. A suspicious amount of bells are scattered across the house. While they wait, Johann rings one, which summons a servant who offers refreshment.

Tony heads out back, only a glass sconce lighting the area in a low blue flame. The Prince sits in a chair looking over the ocean, he turns and gestures for Tony to join him. The Prince thanks him for recent services done on the city's behalf. Tony is coy and humble (maybe not even entirely understanding who he was talking with). The Prince seems to think Thea made a bad deal. Tony becomes briefly concerned the Prince meant her deal with the crew, but relaxes when the Prince's ire is focused on her temper tantrum at Elysium.

During further discussion, the Prince reveals he tolerates both Felix and Mesa, though understands the potential threat they pose in different ways. He asks for Tony's perception on the Packs, then speaks on the lasting value of the werewolves to the city's history. He speaks of a symbiosis between the Pack's physicality and the Kindred political machinations.

He then switches back to Tony's performance, saying his acumen might even warrant a city position. They talk of Tony's bloodline, the Dead Wolves. The Prince mentions this position might normally go to the Invictus, and he offers Tony membership in the Covenant, though the offer at first goes over his head. When Tony does realize the situation, he asks for some time to think about things. The Prince decides to set up a more formal introduction to the Covenant, and then offers Tony the position of what was once known as Houndmaster to the Prince, though he is retiring the old trappings of the position.

He summons an assistant, Ms Kanell, who begins to take his dictation.

"I Diego Gains, Prince of San Francisco, hereby name Antonio Desanda, blood of the Gangrel, our Envoy. His portfolio shall be maintenance of satisfactory relations with the werewolves that reside within the borders of our Domain. The envoy shall also be responsible for the review of any contracts signed by the werewolves singularly or jointly. We invest in him the authority to keep these contracts confidential."

"Do you understand these responsibilities as I have described them?"

Tony: "Uhhh. Yes?"

Ms. Kanell offers the transcription for him to sign. Tony hedges again, eliciting some annoyance at the delay. He presses Tony on the value of accepting. Of how he would make a good Invictus. Another hedge, and the Prince gives him three nights to decide. Tony takes the portfolio while he thinks.

The Prince comes in to greet everyone politely, then pulls Hector aside to express condolences for the death of his Sire. He mentions that Tremaine was a good friend of his, and could not possibly be replaced. Hector thanks him for the sentiment, and expresses appreciation for the political moves at the previous Elysium. Hector expresses doubt that the Sanctified will try to find the true culprit, and tells the prince that should political expedience require a scapegoat, he still intended to pursue justice - but would do his best to do it in the shadows.

The crew then retire back to Whaley House, where Tony discusses the offer with the group, but ultimately decides it isn't for him and asks Knight to write a polite refusal response. It is delivered to a third party (Edward Vonn) to give to the Prince under seal. Steven attempts to surreptitiously investigate Vonn's office but is busted.

Later, Steven is invited to a cafe where he meets with the Prince's assistant. She informs him as he sits down to take a phone call. It's from an unknown number, Knight answers. It's clearly an encrypted call. The Prince speaks, "I've received Tony's message." Knight apologizes for the ultimate result. The Prince expresses his disappointment in Tony's shortsightedness. Knight attempts to smooth things out, referencing the tightness of the group as a reason for Tony's hesitance.

The Prince asks for a recommendation on who might fill the role, would Knight? Knight presses for some clarification on what recourse he has for enforcement. The Prince explains he doesn't want any more bad deals like Thea's. Knight wonders what kind of justice there is with Don still walking around unpunished. The Prince is skeptical of keeping Kindred to an honorable standard, and puts more blame on Thea. He expresses that he expects the Envoy to side with whoever is being overly taken advantage of in the dealmaking.

The Prince expresses his wish that the Envoy help the werewolves navigate Kindred politics, while also helping the Kindred understand just how dangerous the packs could be. Should a deal be particularly egregious, the Prince stats he could see his way to accepting some judicial activism, as it were. Referencing that Vonn doesn't trust Knight, the Prince urges him to work with Ms. Kanell instead. He urges Knight to contact both the Steel Hounds and Bloody Will packs aka Animal Control.

Tony spends a night with his old friend Adrian at a house party. He asks about the old times and people they used to have in mutual acquaintance. Unfortunately, Tony keeps asking about people that turn out to be either dead or on hard times, making him look bad at the House party. The group eventually moves to a waterfront strip club, where Adrian throws some cash around and treats his friends as a peace offering of sorts.

Tony is treated to a personal dance, but afterwards someone walks right into their VIP room. Adrien seems to know him, and Tony eventually recognizes him as the head of the Latin Kings, aka Skinny. Adrien assures everyone that things are cool, initial pleasantries are exchanged. Skinny knows that Tony was responsible for the hit on the Black Top gang, says he is going to keep the heroin and Tony can keep the cash.

Skinny says there's still a place in the Kings for Tony if he wanted. Tony, as before with the Prince, is reluctant, but mulls things over. He mentions he has too many responsibilities during the day. Skinny presses him a little about his new crew. Tony is coy, but Skinny mentions there is going to be an uptick in territorial moves, starting with the Kings claiming credit for the hit by selling the horse with the Blacktop tags still attached. A final push from Skinny gets a hard no out of him, so Skinny pivots to pushing Tony as a possible muscle connection. That too gets a thumbs down. Skinny says he intends to find a way they can come together, but takes his leave.

Thea shows up to Whaley House, ready to investigate the paranormal. She says that her people are safe in Arizona. Knight reminds her about the babysitting duties, making sure she's available in a week or so. She will be, but wants to concentrate on the house for a time. Hector asks if he can shadow her during some of her work, and she allows Hector and Ethan to do so. Later, she asks to address the crew with her preliminary report.

"poo poo's hosed. This whole situation is not great." She says Whaley House is built on a graveyard. Old town is full of buildings that have been picked up from other places and plopped down, screwing up the natural local essences and energies. Whaley House in particular has been hosed with - and she can show everyone how. She grabs a number of fetishes, and begins some kind of ritual in the basement. A bad smell precedes some lightheadedness as the ritual continues.

She warns about a bright moment, then flicks a lighter on, which erupts into a purple flame unlike anything normally seen - it agitates everyone's beasts before it dies down to normal. There is now a new source of illumination in the room - a blue glow coming from scrollwork and writing on the foundations of the timbers. The languages seem to be a combination of Greek, Arabic and Latin. Thea says she has talked to the House, and it is traumatized and depressed.

Built in the 1850s by Thomas Whaley, then renovated in the 1900s by Francis Whaley, who Thea thinks is responsible for the occult markings. Everyone then notices they can smell old, burnt blood. Most think it is coming from upstairs. Thea, not smelling it, changes into a wolf to investigate further. Knights heads upstairs, and finds a crude circle drawn in blood on the floor of the pantry. It seems older and burnt on first approach, but as he gets closer and closer, the blood turns fresher and fresher. Knight begins to sketch it.

Hector finds a part of the writing which is written in blood red. The Latin portion of the writing talks about making the house strong. Thea talks about some of the effects: An invocation to bring strength to the house itself. The Arabic is a request for the family name to be made prosperous. The third part speaks of being fruitful and making the bloodline successful for many generations.

Ethan heads upstairs, wandering into one of the smaller bedrooms on the second floor. He encounters a similar circle. Ethan can see some incredibly feint outlines of some kind of spiritual phenomena, but he has trouble keeping it in his vision. He takes a chance and tastes the blood. It explodes his awareness and he sees a woman in her twenties on the bed - blood and gunpowder mix, a pistol lays on the floor. She has a chest wound, and blood soaks her and the bed - as if something had been cut out of her. Another woman is present, with a family resemblance to the woman on the bed, who is being comforted by a man drenched in blood but unharmed. Ethan sees that the man cradles a bundled baby.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Synopsis: Violet Bennet Gets Discovered!

The previous few days have caught up to the coterie in terms of vitae. They disperse to hunt separately. Knight hits a strip club, while Hector joins the general nightclub scene in the downtown Rack. Johann heads to a late night coffee shot, and Ethan assaults lone wanderers in the neighborhood.

Hector brings Johann up to speed on the nature of the curse, the Whaley family, and the intentions for Flora. Knight wonders why they don't just break into her place and check out the art and look for the book themselves. Hector doesn't want to rule that completely out, but pushes for the more conspiratorial effort to bring her into their orbit.

Johann volunteers to act as first contact, setting up a serendipitous meeting with Flora at a coffee shop 'coincidentally' ordering the same drink, starting up a conversation, making a good impression. Over the next few nights, he continues to earn her trust, getting a few samples of her portfolio. Using those, Johann is able to get her set up at a street gallery, sharing spacer with another four artists in an old set of converted warehouses.

Hector gets a call from Angelica Sawyer. She needs a few components to trigger her ritual to help divine the nature of the magics. A body of one of the bloodline, some bio-castoff of one of the living descendants, and at least one member of the coterie's participation in the ritual itself. Hector asks Johann to take lead in getting the hair/blood from Flora's place.

Johann uses the return of Flora's portfolio as the opportunity to go to her place. Shortly after he arrives, however, Carl - Flora's firefighter boyfriend - comes home. Flora excitedly shares the news of her showing, thanking Johann for setting up the opportunity. Carl seems less than impressed, clearly mistrustful of Johann's out-of-the-blue largess. Johann excuses himself to use the bathroom, successfully finding some hair which he pockets. Soon after, he makes himself scarce, leaving things as calm as possible.

Angelica and Marcus - two members of the Circle - invite the coterie to the ritual at Hope cemetery. Leading the group deep into the graeyard, it's clear they have already run off any homeless or other wandering mortals who might interrupt. They are led to a grave that has been carefully cut open, sitting on top of it is a female head, one that has been dead quite a while. "Garland Bennett" is the name on the grave. Angelica mentions that they normally use the heart, but this particular heart is in an unusual state of decay - oddly aged and decomposing compared to the rest of the body. Angelica is pleased by that, noting it means some kind of supernatural interference is going on.

Marcus begins unpacking his bag, much more seemingly organized and systematic than Thea's recent example of wolf magic. The centerpiece is a large stone bowl. He sets it on the ground, lighting candles on either side of it. Angelica reminds everyone that nothing tonight is secret, just be thankful to the Crone for her wisdom. She begins:

Under the moon which is the Crone's light we make a demand of the world of the earth of the sky of the starts. We demand knowledge., And armed with the teaching of the Crone we prove our worthiness of this knowledge and reap the benefits of this knowledge. We ask the Crone to bless these tools as we search for this truth, the tools of bone, blood and fire by which we will search, quest and take that which we seek. these are the teachings of the Crone and by her example we act.

She tells the group that she will be crafting a blood concoction that one of them will need to drink. Hector indicates his willingness. She takes the hair from Johann, setting them in the bowl on top of the head.

Bone of the skull for knowledge, blood of the head for truth, fire that we may read the writing scribed within.

Marcus opens a container of chemicals, sprinkling it on the head, then touches the candles to it, generating a white flame which engulfs the skull, triggering the beast in each of the Kindred present. The coterie maintains control, watching the flames devour the head to ashes. Marcus slips free a slender branch, which he uses to stir some kind of blood mixture with the ashes, collecting it in a ritualized tincture. Hector downs it.

It has an unnatural and odd taste, reminiscent of but at the same time nothing like blood. Hector feels a strange humming sensation across his entire body, as he attunes to energies he never knew existed. He feels simultaneously here in the cemetery, but also standing in the basement of Whaley house. He can smell the familiar smells of the havens just as much as the dirt and rot and smoke of the cemetery. A pulsing beat, like a heartbeat, infuses his senses like an earthquake tremor.

As the effects take a full hold of him, his willpower snaps, a strange voice emanating from whim.

Why. Are. You. Here?
Why. Am. I. Speaking?

Ethan is quick to use his second sight, informing the group that Hector has been possessed. Sensing an opportunity, they begin to ask the entity questions.

"Who are you?"

Strength to the house. Prosperity to the name. Prosperity to the family. Longevity to the name. That is what I am. I am strong. The timbers are firm. The roof is sound. I am powerful, as I was written to be. Is. This. A. Sacrifice? Do you wish... to add to my greatness?

"Do you need a sacrifice?"

I have all that I need. But more is more. Blood from the past can join the blood from the now. More blood. More blood.

"Who created you?"

The maker carved my words. My name. My self upon my timbers. He who was the builder, Thomas. Greatest of the name. Oldest of the name. Departed of the name. Thomas, brother to Violet, son of Francis. The names. The names must go forever. The names must not be severed. The names must continue.

"Who was the last sacrifice?"

Violet was the last sacrifice. Before. Blood spills before. Fueled the beginning. Wood to start the fire. Deathbirth. Words of revenge. They were the spark before there was the fire. Do you offer this blood to strengthen this work? Blood for the timbers, blood for the walls. Is this an offering?

"Um, ah - no offer tonight, sir house. Sorry."

Then what. Have you done? The work continues, the house is strong. the line is strong,. the family is strong.

"Who of the line still remains?"

Just one. But one is not none. The line will continue. There will be more. She who is named Flora receives all out power. The power is great, the power is mighty.

"What happens to you when she dies?"

I wait, the power waits for the next to come of age. This is how it has always been. There will always be another to receive a gift. The working must continue I make it so.

"So what if she dies with no child?"

Hector's body kind of contort at that, his fangs pop out: No it will not be, I see to it. She is protected. She will have a child. It must be. We protect the name. That is the duty. No harm will come to her. Only the power will come to her. Until it is too much.

"What happens when it's too much?"

The power overwhelms. There is always a point at which they drown. But not before the seed is spread. Not before the line continues.

"How do you end?"

I never end. I am eternal. My bones go into the earth.

Ethan starts to put together his theory on how this thing is working, and he sees it falls in line with what Thea is saying. That the energy was generated by sacrifice, and flows out to the remaining member of the line. But as there are so few living members, it is too much power for one person, and eventually consumes them.

"Were you responsible for violet dying?"

I did not. Exists. When she died. I hear her screams in the walls. Feel her pain in the floors. She was there always. Her rage, her pain, is always there. It is the wellspring.

"Are you going to be responsible for the last of the line dying?"

There will not be a last of the line. The line will always continue unbroken. This is what I am.

"What happens if she doesn't have a kid?"

She is blessed. She is protected. I am her protector and her guardian.

"So she'll never die?"

The line will continue.

"How will you make sure?"

I have been invested. I have power. I am power. Accidents changed. Dangers averted. These are the gifts that are carved into my timbers.

"If Carl tried to kill her, would you stop him?"

He would not succeed. There have been risks and dangers to the line. I have destroyed them all. The line must continue.

"Do you have any impact or affect on Carl?"

He may be of use. The line must continue. Why have you brought me here if not to offer a sacrifice? If not to spill more blood and reap more power. ]I . Know. You. You dwell within my walls. I know your footsteps. I know your touch. Why are there corpses inside me? I am not a graveyard.

"Would you imbue us with power if we help Flora?"

I am all that I am made and nothing else.

"So, just blood - or does marriage work?"

Blood was spilt for the birth of the child. Blood must always be spilled for the birth of the child. There is no other family but that by blood.

Ethan: "Wanna know why we brought you here? To destroy you."

All hell breaks loose.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Mon-Thur availability for me.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

1) Secure Sunset Tower

Make sure the process goes smoothly. As mentioned, invite the Duke or a representative to join us when we take possession and allow him to take his 'cut' by choosing any one thing in the new haven as a gift. Once that's done, start securing the territory itself. Prime target will be making sure the entire tower is in our hands (dedicate resources 5 to this), not just the penthouse. Secondarily, would like to start scouting the surrounding neighborhood for any points of interest (Sites).

2) Sire Research

There was an Acolyte (I want to say Michael) at the embrace who performed a rite that triggered a memory. I would like to start a relationship with that person and discover if they had a relationship with my Sire. Also, I'm thinking I should pull the trigger on Spirit's Touch (Auspex 3) since the penthouse should have something to explore.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

kaynorr posted:

Hector Andronicus

1. Presence + Politics + 2 to make a good first impression on Richard Gutierrez and his brood.
2. Intelligence + Streetwise w/Borders to get the lay of the land on your new domain.
3. Presence + Socialize + 1 to follow-up with the Circle on the Crone regarding Flora's Embrace ritual. FYI, the person who did all the stuff that triggered your suppressed memories was Cole.

1) Presence (3) + Politics (1) + Modifier (2) + Willpower (3) = 9 Pool; Two Successes

2) Intelligence (3) + Streetwise: Territory (4) + Willpower (3) = 10 Pool w/9A; Five Successes

3) Presence (3) + Socialize (1) + Willpower (3) = 7 Pool; One Success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Synopsis: Credit Check

Tony finally gets around to considering his spirit quest. He and Johann head to a Kings party, where Tony finds an old acquaintance and asks for a place he can get down on the good poo poo he brought with. Johann busies himself watching John Wick 2, ready if Tony needs backup, but lets the Gangrel do his thing.

The strength of the herb is pretty potent and almost sour. Tony's prey almost bails just from that, forcing Tony to use a bit of social maneuvering to start up his hunt. His street-cred and drug knowledge is on point, and the mark takes the dive. He zones out quickly, often staring up at the moon in abject wonder as the effects kick in. Finally, he looks at Tony, and pushing back into the party proper, whispers "Catch me if you can."

Tony is up and after him, losing just a bit of distance through the party crowd. The mark shoots out into the backyard, cutting across the movie projection and causing curses and beer cans to be launched at him, giving Tony another few seconds of delay as he tries to make sense of the rowdy chaos.

When he catches sight of the mark slipping over the fence into a back ally, he picks up his pace and follows after. Tony corners the mark, who passes out on the ground, only to have a nearby 'mound' of clothes animate as if the mark's soul had jumped ship. The animate mound smells of corpse, convincing Tony this is the final moment of the hunt. With one great blow, he fells the the reaminated human.

As the body drops, Tony feels an almost outside desire to ingest the corpse's eyeballs. Uneasily, he does so (and gains the Dead Man's Eyes merit).

---

Hector heads south of the Border, hoping to pick up a new avenue of muscle now that the Steelhounds and Bloody Talons have taken themselves off market, hoping for a longshot it might be Felix's people. He starts to investigate Felix's operations, thinking there might be an opportunity. A lucky break finds Hector at the same hunting turf as Rosalita Ortiz, a known associate of Felix, well fed on someone who'd already had a hard night of drinking. The liquor in the blood, and a need to blow off steam, sees her particularly chatty. Hector learns that while Felix has no personal designs on the harbor/docks, the Reyes Cartel that she is in bed with is desperate for a water route now that the land border is getting hot.

Hector plants some seeds of possible cooperation. Remembering an old Auspex glimpse of Felix herself at the last Carthian meeting, Hector knows that the Bloody Talons are a big obstacle, or at least concern, to her outfit. He tries to give her the heads up that the Talons will be out of commission until the heat from the Duke's death blows over. Hector learns that some of Felix's people are traveling up north to San Francisco, though isn't able to learn why. With his potential opportunity seeds sown, Hector rounds out an enjoyable evening with Ortiz, the two agreeing to work together on a personal level in the future, even if the Felix gambit goes nowhere.

---

Johann finds himself at his recovery group for Everquest addicts. Zoe Agramonte attends the event, as she has in the past, and has some very pointed questions for Johann. She lays out the issues that her coterie now faces: it looks like her Sire and brood got punked by an unaligned coterie. They look weak, look like they can't hold their stuff, and now everything is on the back of Scott - who just isn't the Duke, his gang connections aside. Johann urges Zoe to think about working with the coterie rather than against. She isn't sure that's possible. The cacophony will want to know which group is going to come out on top. Even if they both want peace - the other Kindred of San Diego and Tijuana will want to watch a conflict.

Zoe admits she's not even a yearling as a kindred and is feeling overwhelmed with the whole thing. All she can do as a vampire is hide well, and the rest of her brood doesn't listen to her at all. Johann pushes her to bring up the topic of peace with her brood anyway, but her commitment is lackluster. She mentions the brood is still very angry, and not acting strategically even yet. She thinks the city court will be a big test moment, to see if Scott is going to keep his cool or not. They end on a handshake, "It's a start."

---

On the night of court, Knight gets a message from his Sire, Mesa. It just says a car will be sent for him at ten sharp. Knight accepts the directive without question. When the car arrives, Knight hops in, and finds his Sire present in formal clothes. Mesa reveals he knows about the Wolves' being taken off the table. He believes new opportunities are opening up. He warns that this may mean some additional strain between the Invictus and Carthians, especially in Tijuana where the Carthians had regularly used wolf muscle. Some Unconquered might think now is a time to look for new avenues south of the border, especially some Ancilla looking to upjump their station. Mesa claims he's just supplying information, and doesn't intend to put Knight in the middle. With that, Mesa pivots to details of Knight's ongoing personal assignment on the dossier project. Knight gives mostly process details, still light at the moment on hard details, but making regular progress. Mesa reminds Knight not to underestimate the various Kindred business partners he's been using, "Always assume they have a hidden agenda, doing so will increase your odds of seeing the next century."

---

The court event is to take place at the Mission Trails Regional Park. An open air gathering under the full moon, with various tents and canopies forming small areas of intimacy. Hector and Johann both demure when learning of the feeding tradition the Circle is running: each Kindred shall only feast on blood of the minimum quality they can handle. Those who can gain sustenance from animals, only get animals, and so on. They both move to the Carthians to mingle, though Johann's attention is thoroughly taken by the appearance of Flora at the Circle Primogen's side.

Zhu spots his sire, and learns he has a job for the taking. A mortal intimidation deal, putting some pressure on a crooked contractor. Zhu agrees to squeeze it in, offhandedly mentioning Scott Feng to judge what his sire knows. The sire exchanges the common gossip, but nothing surprising.

Hector spots Ortiz coming back from a feeding and strikes up conversation. Ortiz shares that Felix isn't opposed to a business deal, but that she seemingly has reason to hate on the whole coterie, including an old grudge about a murder. Still, she's loyal to her family, and what's good for the Reyes cartel is good for Felix. Hector offers a finder's fee to Ortiz if she'll start to act as a liaison between the coterie and Felix and makes progress. When asked, Hector continues to straddle the middle ground about the Duke. Not claiming responsibility for the act, but recognizing he'll likely have to defend himself and the coterie feeding grounds because the act happened.

Johann approaches Cole and Flora, not having seen the fledgling since her embrace two months ago. He's allowed a personal conversation with the new Kindred. She details the problems of coming into the undead world under Cole, still wrestling with the decision, though thankful she's been spared from the house's curse.

---

At the stroke of midnight, Prince Gaines emerges from one of the tents, all eyes turning to him as he finds a center-place among the city's Kindred, attended by his Primogen Council.

"Good evening, I am heartened to see so many of us here on this spring evening. May prosperity come to our hosts and all harvest laid in this season, be it this autumn or any year to come which bears the fruit.

"On to a matter of our community. Our community is in discord, violence has overtaken us, and as Prince it is my responsibility to manage it. Six days prior there was vitae spilled in the matter of Lancea et Sanctum leadership. After speaking to all parties and considering the issue carefully, I have come to a decision.

"It is not disputed that Dina Morton acted to resolve the crisis of leadership within her covenant. What happened Easter evening was at her order. We have concluded she did not act unlawfully, and accordingly is not subject to the Lextalionis. However, the destruction of the Duke as a citizen of this Court must be answered for. It is my ruling that Dina is barred from holding any position of leadership - she may never hold the title Primogen - she will not personally benefit from these orders. Dina Morton, of the Clan Ventrue, of the Unholy Church, do you submit to your Prince's authority in this matter as in all?"

All of the Sanctum now stands together, Espinoza, Morton and another leader, de la Vega, at their head. Morton steps forward, gets down on one knee and submits. She surprises the court by announcing that de la Vega has been assigned as the new Sanctified Bishop. Espinoza, also showcasing various wounds, steps forward and affirms the decision. It seems the Sanctified will remain united for the time being. To the side, Primogen Cole's demeanor changes when she realizes that her plans to tempt the Mesoamerica Sanctified away has been dashed.

The Prince reminds de la Vegas of the second, unfulfilled stricture, the destruction of Allen Tremaine. Until his death is accounted for, no Judge will be on his Council. de la Vega steps forward and affirms his commitment to that as well. The Prince expresses his temporary satisfaction, and pivots to thanking his guests once more and opening the court to private conversations. The Prince and Sheriff both retire out of sight.

---

Tommy (Carthian) approaches Johann and gives a similar message to the Daeva that Knight received from his Sire. That they should expect some possible Invictus movement in Tijuana. He asks Johann to keep an ear out, find out any information that Knight or other Invictus contacts might slip so they have some prep time.

At the same time, Hector is approached by a deputy, "The Prince requests your presence." Hector follows, and the Prince makes crystal clear that he is taking no position on the harbor territorial struggle, but that the violations of the Traditions will not be tolerated. Nor will playing with fire by angling or forcing the Duke's brood into violating them. Hector expresses his understanding, reiterating it multiple times.

The Prince says the brood has been told the same thing, and he looks forward to this conflict resolving itself. Hector asks if the Ducal title will be officially passed down, and the Prince says no. While the territorial claims will be de facto adopted by Feng and the brood, the title will not be until things are resolved. Hector breathes a sigh of relief, as that's an important card not being played against the coterie's ambitions.

As Hector leaves, Cole follows him out, none too happy. Intuiting what she's upset about, Hector attempts to fast-talk his way out of the worst of it. He'd supplied Angelica with information about de la Vegas' people, how they were ripe for the plucking, but Hector never heard anything, wasn't contacted for a followup. "Did you cut me out of this because of Flora's ritual?"

"Oh, you're not being cut out. Not at all. In fact, we have a new deal...."

...to be continued....

XP/Beats: 17.11

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 26, 2019