Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cythereal posted:

Feeling pretty vindicated by my choice to not touch any of the Discovery-based episodes. And to not do them for the LP.

Thinkin' about that early KDF mission where you have no choice but to blow up the Fed Ships after they're all "Oh no! We were fooled! We are sorry!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

On the one hand I enjoy watching stuff explode. On the other I would like at least something to do that doesn't involve making things explode. What happened to that Exploration Cluster thing? It was still lasers and torpedoes most of the time, but it was framed slightly differently and I do remember one or two missions that had no fighting.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The only time ive really been offended by the 'content' in sto was the tzenkethi? arc where there are finally some folks willing and able to do the right thing about bajorans and instead of help them you are forced to viciously murder them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who has rose tinted glasses positive feelings about the old exploration cluster missions needs an optometrist.

It was a source of "endless content" in the same way that you can get "endless content" by dumpster diving behind Discount Dan's Previously Gently Used Seafood Emporium.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

You didn't like exploring the ruins of the 13th Borg Dynasty??

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Anyone who has rose tinted glasses positive feelings about the old exploration cluster missions needs an optometrist.

It was a source of "endless content" in the same way that you can get "endless content" by dumpster diving behind Discount Dan's Previously Gently Used Seafood Emporium.
Didn't a dev admit years ago that they were thrown-in placeholders to pad out the early game in its first years instead of being intended mainstays?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The poo poo where the prime directive forces you into assisting the kobali, who in voyager are 100% a species of domestic abuse zombies is pretty awful.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Expect an announcement regarding a move to the Epic Store soon. A new leak suggests bonus items for linking your Epic Game Store account

Items for account linking:

Box that has a Dual Phaser pistols icon on the reward box

Exp Boost

Inventory

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Just using the Epic Games Launcher to open the Steam Launcher of the Arc Launcher to fire up the Star Trek Online launcher...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, here's hoping STO isn't leaving steam and becoming an Epic exclusive.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Well, here's hoping STO isn't leaving steam and becoming an Epic exclusive.

Cryptic hardly makes any money from Steam purchases and Epic is highly motivated in moving games from Steam to their platform. So the chances of being an exclusive is pretty likely. It's just extremely bizarre that out of all MMOs, they chose STO. I am curious if they are doing the same thing with Neverwinter and other Cryptic games.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

I dont see that as a sign of an exclusivity deal and more of expanding to other avenues

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Teron D Amun posted:

I dont see that as a sign of an exclusivity deal and more of expanding to other avenues

This is my read as well.

I don't have an epic account and don't want one. If they remove it from Steam I'll just use the Arc launcher instead.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Year of Klingon news: visual update of the Nebula class and a new z-store bundle of all the Nebula variants.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well it is a classic klingon ship after all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Teron D Amun posted:

Same. Especially when all you need is Arc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

apparently it's possible to aggro enemies during the pre-mission paralysis at the beginning of a TFO

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/it8h5x/ive_never_had_the_enemy_attack_before_a_tfo_has/

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

apparently it's possible to aggro enemies during the pre-mission paralysis at the beginning of a TFO

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/it8h5x/ive_never_had_the_enemy_attack_before_a_tfo_has/

If I recall correctly the pre-mission paralysis is simply a movement lockout that was introduced a long time after the STFs themselves were.

Why? Metrics and padding. Any excuse to slow down a team of players from blowing through infected space in 60 seconds.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah a little bit of a wait is one thing since there's a lot of people playing this lovely MMO on potatoes, but it's like what, a minute of doing nothing? A minute and a half for a few missions? It's blatant padding, much like how every queue added for the better part of two years or more had an extended "guard <thing> for ten minutes" section with trivial but infinitely respawning enemies.

Also it's quite possible to kill the group if you pull early, completely breaking the queue since the script only triggers if the group dies on the proper step, and you can't re-kill them after the queue starts. :toot:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DancingShade posted:

If I recall correctly the pre-mission paralysis is simply a movement lockout that was introduced a long time after the STFs themselves were.

Why? Metrics and padding. Any excuse to slow down a team of players from blowing through infected space in 60 seconds.

allegedly part of the reason was that players with lovely builds and lovely connections would beam into a STF too late to avoid an AFK penalty

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Tunicate posted:

the console from the 2019 Winter Fek'lhr ship can do that, the one where you send out a huge flaming skull in a straight line infront of you
allows you to aggro all of the 3 Borg ship groups at the start of an ISA run

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

allegedly part of the reason was that players with lovely builds and lovely connections would beam into a STF too late to avoid an AFK penalty
That's happened to me a few times on CCA (which doesn't include the wait for some reason). My build is fine, but whatever change they made a few years ago that started a lot of the connection problems has really hit me hard. On bad nights, map changes trigger a period of extremely high latency (1000+ ms according to the in game latency graph) during which I can't move. It usually clears up within a minute, but if I matched with a high DPS group, it's possible for CCA to be finished before the game lets me move.

I've had terminal windows open on my other monitor with pings running while this happens. The extreme latency is unconnected to my actual connection's latency to other internet servers, it's a problem somewhere with the connection to cryptic.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11478603

3k zen per rep to Tier 5 lol.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Per rep, and per character. And you're still left with a 30 day grind to hit T6. I knew this was coming, but never dreamed they'd price it this high.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

cant be long now until zen buyouts to complete fleet projects

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bwuh? Rep is a dil faucet, not a sink.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What’s the grind from 1 to 5? I feel like it’s about as long as 5 to 6.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Cyrano4747 posted:

From what I remember, 1 -> 5 is 100k total rep points. 5->6 is 250k, so 5 -> 6 is actually longer then 1 -> 5.

If you just do the 2.5k daily, that's 50 days vs 60 days. 110 days total to cap.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

OGS-Remix posted:

From what I remember, 1 -> 5 is 100k total rep points. 5->6 is 250k, so 5 -> 6 is actually longer then 1 -> 5.

If you just do the 2.5k daily, that's 50 days vs 60 days. 110 days total to cap.

If any alt in the account has the rep at tier 5 already, then the dailies are worth 5k instead of 2.5k. So if another captain on your account has that rep at tier 5 then it only takes 20 dailies to get from 0-5. Otherwise it takes 40. Tier 5 to 6 will take 30 either way as even if you didn't have the 5k/day rate before you will as soon as the current captain hits tier 5 (Cryptic made the original sponsored reps an automatic account unlock a while back).

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Peyote Panda posted:

If any alt in the account has the rep at tier 5 already, then the dailies are worth 5k instead of 2.5k. So if another captain on your account has that rep at tier 5 then it only takes 20 dailies to get from 0-5. Otherwise it takes 40. Tier 5 to 6 will take 30 either way as even if you didn't have the 5k/day rate before you will as soon as the current captain hits tier 5 (Cryptic made the original sponsored reps an automatic account unlock a while back).

Oh that's a good change, I didn't know that. How long ago did they make that automatic?

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

OGS-Remix posted:

Oh that's a good change, I didn't know that. How long ago did they make that automatic?

when they introduced the Discovery rep in 2018, thats when the reputation sponsorship tokens died

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

20 days with a sponsorship or 40 without. You can shave a few days off those numbers by spending a lot more marks on the hourlies.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

"when we dont know what to do we rerun the galactic red alerts again" https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11478613

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Teron D Amun posted:

"when we dont know what to do we rerun the galactic red alerts again" https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11478613

Year of the Klingon!

Also :laffo: :

quote:

*Please note: As the only Red Alert with a fail condition, the Tzenkethi Red Alert will not grant daily bonus progress if you fail the TFO. The fail condition will likely be removed in future runs of this event.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

> Games > Poopsocks, ISK, Swords and Sorcery > Star Trek Online: The fail condition will likely be removed in the future

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
So, the originial announcement of the rep buyout included a graphic showing three characters standing in armor. Players quickly pointed out that one of the characters was wearing the Tzenkethi outfit which is lobi, not rep armor. But don't worry, cryptic fixed it. By just deleting the character wearing the lobi armor. Here's the original for reference:

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

g0del posted:

So, the originial announcement of the rep buyout included a graphic showing three characters standing in armor. Players quickly pointed out that one of the characters was wearing the Tzenkethi outfit which is lobi, not rep armor. But don't worry, cryptic fixed it. By just deleting the character wearing the lobi armor. Here's the original for reference:

Yep, here is a fun thread about that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/ix3ko6/cryptic_fyi_the_tzenkethi_outfit_shown_is_lobi/

Here is another good one (not about that specifically but general discontent):

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/ixld46/i_think_this_fits_the_mood_of_the_sub/

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yea I won't lie, I uninstalled recently as the game seemed very heavily "pay to not play".

It's a shame, there are fragments of an awesome Star Trek game in it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I foolishly clicked a link to the star trek online :reddit: and noticed a thread? on there and made a post and the reddophiles didnt like it, it was a thing on there trying to ask questions to Andre Emerson the producer of star trek online. The reddophiles 'down voted' it into oblivion so it didnt not appear anymore but i found and clicked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Humble Bundle has a pack going that has the below STO package in its "Pay more than the average of..." price tier which as of this post was at $4.11. I'd say that's an OK price for some games and an account wide T6 ship for your KDF characters.

Content: Klingon Elite Starter Pack on PC*

o T6 Kor Bird-of-Prey (Scales as you level)
o 12 Inventory Slots
o 12 Bank Slots
o 2 Bridge Officer Slots
o 1 Borg Bridge Officer
o 14 Mark II Very Rare Space Gear
o 7 Mark II Very Rare Ground Gear
o Academy Uniform

*Items are account/character bound. Ship and uniform are unlocked on account.
*Pack is claimable once per account.
*Pack is available to Klingon Captains only.

Expires: December 30th, 2022 @ 11AM Pacific

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/better-futures