Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It's fun seeing viruses I've never fought before. ColdBear doesn't really look other viruses to me, it's a different style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #14: The GeoXLuna Fans Are On Suicide Watch

Obviously the best ship is GeoXSonia, fite me

We cut to StarForce MegaMan running in to check in on MegaMan. You just missed how stupid MegaMan was acting, Geo.

Yeah, well, this all started because Geo apparently saved Mayl from the World 3 goons, so he already messed up in that regard.

: What do you mean "What now"? Now there's no helping it! Let's stop sneaking around and go buck wild like usual!

: N-No! And aren't YOU always the one to go buck wild!? I don't really want to cause too much of a scene... Anyway! We have to explain everything to Mr.Hikari, the hero who fought alongside the MegaMan from 200 years ago!

I'm so glad that Mega continues to give zero fucks. "Hey, isn't that the super important historical figure? Hah, he fell for a trap, what a nerd."

: This is dumb and I hate this aaaaaa

"Mr. Hikari".

Well, that answers Yeti's question. No, he wasn't stupid enough to think Roll is Harp Note; he just saw ClockMan going for her and tried to intervene, I guess.

Then why did they fight in the first place. Geo, you had literally one job and you hosed it up.

I am going to punch you over and over in the mouth and stomp on your neck.

God loving drat it I hate you all

God dammit!

I hate everything. Yeti, kill her.

With pleasure, but then we'd mess up the timeline and there'd be an annoying time loop that would require extra stupid dialogue to resolve.

No. Shut up, Geo.

This cutscene is roughly 70 textboxes, so I think some transcribing is in order. Ugh.

: Uh, so you're... Mr.Hikari?

: Hm? Yeah, I'm Lan.

: (Whew, talking to a historical hereo sure is stressful...) So, your Navi, MegaMan... had his time stopped by ClockMan, a Navi that controls time! To save MegaMan, as well as that girl Navi he kidnapped, I really need your help...

: ClockMan? MegaMan's time was stopped? What? This is too sudden! You're not making any sense! Who are you, anyway?

Geo that is the question you should have answered first.

Geo walks down and faces them.

: I'm the MegaMan from 200 years from now..

: 200 years from now...!?

: MegaMan!?

Metal Gear?!

: Yeah, I didn't expect you to believe me right away, but...

Note: They aren't actually Navis, but I believe Geo is merely contextualizing things for Lan to keep things simple.

If we're talking about the Mr. Hertz, they're closer to the Mr. Progs. I think what he's talking about is the Wizards, which function pretty much the same. Though, according to the MegaMan wiki, NetNavis still exist but have fallen out of use. So who knows.

: The study of Navis is quickly advancing, and, as a result, ClockMan, a Navi with control over time, was developed... But ClockMan went out of control, kidnapped someone dear to me, and time-traveled back to the world of 200 years ago!

How...? A Navi with Dr.Strange's Infinity Stone? Do I need some kind of explanation as to how- gently caress it; it'd just be Capcom Science.

GREEN MYSTERY DATA, I'VE COME TO BARGAIN.

: So, to save that person, and stop ClockMan from recklessly changing time, I chased him here from the future...

: No, I'm a human. But, when I fuse with Omega-Xis, I become MegaMan, and I can enter the Net and Comps. Right, Mega?

: Eeeeek!!

: His arm just talked! That's creepy!!

: N-No, Mega! I told you, that would alter history!! ...Um, the one who spoke just now is Omega-Xis. He's kind of like my Navi. He's rough and wild, but he's my partner who always fights by my side! ...H-How about that? Do you believe me now...?

Lan initially remarks that this is all quite crazy, but...

JustAPancakeVideo.mp4

Jump in the line, rock your body in time.

: Hey, could you stop calling me that? I don't like things being so formal... Just call me Lan! It'd be confusing if I called you MegaMan, so I'll just call you Geo. That's what that uh...arm Navi call you earlier, right?

"Mr. Hikari is my father!"

:haw: I have never wanted to see Lan fight Omega-Xis so much.

Not even MegaMan versus MegaMan, just Lan punching a radio alien.

: ...So, you said you needed my help. What do you need?

: Right! First, we need to save your MegaMan! That trap he's in freezes time for whoever is standing on top of the stopped clock. To undo it, we need to find ClockData. That should start the clock again...

So, ClockMan can stop time if you stand over a clock, but it can be undone by any old antique clock? Uhhh... okay.

This is what you get for linking your clock to the cloud. What was wrong with good old gears, anyway? Grumble grumble.

: Alright, let's try going to this Dex person's house! ...Oh, right. I'll stand out too much in this time period, so I'll be in your PET.

Wait, so Dex owns a clock that is connected to the internet (so it has ClockData) but was made before NetNavis were huge? Man, this timeline really IS messed up.

How convenient!

How convenient.

Checking out said bottom screen actually yields funny Humor dialogue! Guess we'll need to make a separate update about that later. Get with it, Yeti.

Look, we both know that it's just going to be me swearing after you make a lovely pun.

We get into a cutscene at Dex's house, though.

: You dirty blue bois be barging in my fuckin' house. This is some bullshit. I'd be shot if I did this poo poo, man.

: This is what I'm loving talking about.

Man, Lan's such an rear end in a top hat in this game. I guess they really did get his character right, so... good job intern writers?

:roflolmao: Dex is such a third wheel it's great.

This is what you get for not beating him in a NetBattle first.

:allears:

They just give zero shits.

Wireless! Not invented until MegaMan Battle Network 2! Future!

The future is now!

These so-called Clock Comps aren't anything special, sadly.

It's a shame that this is all just one glorified cutscene. They could have done so much with Geo.

: What the gently caress is this bullshit. Why am I being ignored? MAAAAAAAN

: Bitch, are you insultin' me in my own god drat house? loving rich rear end white kids and they real-world fancy Navis.

Wow, Lan, rude.

We get to play as MegaMan StarForce, guys! For real!

Yeah! This is totally believable that they'd put in so much effort!

: Cut it out, Mega... You could tell earlier, right? The MegaMan from this time period was as strong as he was because of Lan's operating.

Could...could this be foreshadowing for this Let's Play? I wonder.

I doubt it.

How can we send him BattleChips...? The tech certainly has to be way older than what he can properly use, no? What the hell?

Backwards compatibility. Obviously.

Amazing how the history books never captured Lan's famous catch phrase....weird.

I don't know, I think it's a good thing we don't know George Washington's famous saying that he shouted before getting into combat with the British, "I'm gonna chop you down to size!"

: This dumb past and their stupid catch phrases

Tutorial time, courtesy of Omega-Xis. MegaMan Starforce operates quite differently than MegaMan.exe so I'll let him explain and chime in with extra details.

...I'm genuinely surprised they put this much effort into things.

: That said, moving around the battlefield and choosing chips will be no different from how you're used to. When you're operating us, there are three main differences. Difference #1! The MegaBuster controls!! Holding down the B Button fires the MegaBuster rapidly. Not pressing the B Button will charge the MegaBuster! This means you don't have to keep pressing the button and make your finger hurt!

Yes, Omega-Xis actually says that. Leaving in the screenshot for that sentence for posterity. Good line, interns. That said, the MegaBuster really doesn't fire all that rapidly, so you're better off just charging. Then again, my Rapid is currently at 2, so I'll try it later when my Rapid is 5. As for the charging, your buster charge will always deal 30 damage regardless of your Attack Level, but it charges faster than MegaMan.exe's.

: Difference #2! You can guard with the Y Button!! You can press the Y Button to put up a shield and block enemy attacks. You can use it as many times as you like, but you're wide open after using it, so be careful!

Yeah, Really wide-open. As in, you're stuck to the panel for a half-second before moving away.

: It'd be easier for you to try this one for yourself... First, try choosing the WideSword.

Note: they're playing MegaMan StarForce 1's Virus theme here. This is consistent every time you use MegaMan Star Force.

It's a nice touch, and one that I really like.

It's what he used against us in the fight. To all you StarForce veterans, there isn't anything like DiagLock, or SideLock unfortunately.

: I'll use my speed to rush up to the enemy and attack!! You better not show me any half-baked operating. I still haven't accepted you yet. ...Just sayin'!

Oh, this is gonna be my jam. However, don't get hit during Lock-On. MegaMan will freeze in place on the enemy side for an extremely long time -- long enough to get by another attack!

I like the job they did adapting the StarForce mechanics to Battle Network. It's only a few small changes, so I can't imagine it took too much time, but still, it's effort.

ReactionToGiverVirusBusting.jpg

Lan: Actually pretty good at what he does. Remember, this elementary-school kid can routinely beat professional hackers. 'Professional'.

Geo looks so visibly annoyed. Poor guy.

His arm and someone famous are arguing. I'd be annoyed too.

Key Item text for it if you're curious.

I appreciate that even Dex's clock gives him poo poo for eating too much.

No, I want to explore first.

You'll get a mail recapping Omega-Xis' tutorial, but there's no need for that.

The encounters are actually a copy of paste of the ones inside Dex's Game Comp. In fact, there are no Mystery Datas in here. This obviously means that this little area is temporary. :smith:

There's also a new set of voice acting for MegaMan StarForce when you leave the Custom Screen and when you get ranks in battle. ...Joy.

I've heard the voice lines maybe... three or four times, and that's about five times too many. Please, bring back Colonel's voice...

You can't actually NetBattle GutsMan in this scenario. :negative:

Dang!

Yes, the voice acting changes when you use MegaMan SF "Shooting Star RockMan" is what's said.

The clock under MegaMan is actually moving again and it's safe to pass over it.

Let snack time commence!

Ah, Christ. Not again.

: Are you kidding me? Why do I look like such an idiot? gently caress you, interns.

Interns just got no respect.

Fade in, fade out.

Although being fired upon certainly didn't help things. You'd think Geo would have just warped away, but he actively has to protect the warp hole so that no other Navis come in and get captured.

At least we were spared a second summation of the story.

How would this gently caress up the BN timeline? Well, we'll just look at the future games, like OSS2... Oh. oh. :gonk:

...Whoops.

...OK, you know what? They got the dialogue exchanges between these characters very right. And I'm happy they did.

The writers were good (within Battle Network limitations, of course).

SIGH. And now I have to remove some points because we actually don't know why Roll is special to MegaMan. Seriously, why? Give me a reason that's not "well she's the Navi of the human love interest, therefore she's special to Mega". Please. Sonia has a very good reason to be special to Geo and all you have to do is play StarForce 1 to get it.

Sonia is basically a mirror of Geo, to put it as simply as possible. Like him, she was all alone; it was for different reasons, but they were both lonely. He saw himself in her, so they bonded (after the necessary boss fight). She was, for all intents and purposes, the turning point in the story where Geo goes from 'I don't want friends' to 'Okay maybe friends are cool', even if it takes a little bit longer to get there officially.

Meanwhile here, Roll is... uh... MegaMan.EXE's... she exists?

This is still shounen, so we have to learn the importance of protecting one's ~friends~, despite how dumb they are. Hell, because they're dumb we have to protect them more and make up more of the collective good. gently caress off, Japan. Let the idiots drown.

Both of these games are extremely shounen. Though I like SF's message more.

YESSS! I'm keeping MegaMan StarForce on, as it's a new gameplay style.

Interns!

Look at MegaMan's shadow. It's not there! Booo! Stop adding bugs!

That's a graphical error, not a bug. It's one on the fuckup tally, yes, but I wouldn't say it's a bug.

The shadow comes back when you re-enter the map via the menu or something.

Instead of armors from Battle Network 1, we have this neat option. That unfortunately means that in order to reach Level 100, library completion is required. Not that it's an issue for this LP.

That's also the only reason they got rid of the armors, by the way. (Also nice HP)

In the folder!

Yep, so the scenario's puzzle is pretty much just finding clocks in the real world and bringing them back here. Backtracking!

I... Well, I guess it could be worse? At least they give you a hint where to find the clocks.

At least this one they tell you. They had mercy.

And in this case they just tell you exactly where to go.

A lot of the NPCs you'll run into have new dialogue, but they all mention the blackout from previous scenario. Nothing too interesting.

Boo! Railroaded! Let me go there. :cry:

No. No grinding. Only clocks.

Now, this is new dialogue for Miyu. It only appears here before you talk to MegaMan StarForce. Very small window, for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMukhKBMCG8

But hey, SkullMan V3! And our first video footage of using MegaMan StarForce. The buster charges so much faster and he doesn't have the mid-level yellow charge like .exe does.

Well, that's done. But I won't use SkullMan V3 in this weak folder at least, despite earning it.

Ask Miyu for a ladder.

We couldn't possibly find a way to get to the clock on their own. Better rely on this human NetNavi! Pay no attention to the shopkeeper watching all of this unfold.

:techno: Well, we needed at least one of these.

That's... what...? BN technology at its finest.

To be fair, EM waves in physics is a High School course, whereas in the ~future~ it's probably in elementary.

It's the idea behind black box theory. It works, who cares how, just use it.

The viruses in here are just copied and pasted from Miyu's vase. Nothing special.

I hate you.

Why would you not tell us that first.

Yay!

Boo!

Though it's weird that these 'traps' are activated already. The first one was an actual trap, and succeeded in its purpose of capturing MegaMan.

So, two traps are active. As in, Roll and Harp Note wandered their way in here and stepped on a trap?

That could be the answer, though I think maybe it's just artificial gating to make the bonus scenario play out longer.

This is obviously referring to the one at school. I feel that this is a far more clever hiding spot, since the player is forced to see it when they go to school, albeit briefly.

The hint is pretty clever as well, since there's a very small subset of areas that both Lan and Geo go - though for those in the audience that haven't played StarForce, this might be a little trickier.

Rare screenshot of MegaMan.exe and SF MegaMan in the same PET.

Megaman with the sick burns.

Come to think of it, I'm really surprised they didn't make the Antique one last since it requires the most backtracking.

The encounters in here are copied and pasted from the Car Comp.

At least they weren't cruel enough to give you missable viruses.

In this comp, it seems as if Omega-Xis suddenly takes over the help text. Weird.

Well, Geo has a talking arm. Why wouldn't he talk to it?

We're at the boss, guys! Get ready.

Faster than I expected. Even the Oven was two screens.

...Then why are you stepping on it? GET OFF

Geo is not a bright boy.

...I don't know what's with this guy and spamming his u key. uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu are crazy man.

Uuuuuuuu suuuuuuuuck.

Meet ClockMan. Submitted by a contest entry applicant. Whoever won, I hope you're happy you got into this game! It only sold like 15,000 copies, but it's great all the same.

They're playing the StarForce 3 pre-boss theme at this point.

Ah, another good track. Whoever was in charge of picking the SF tracks was obviously not the same one in charge of the base game's soundtrack.

Oh, he's kinda like Phantom Hyde. "This wasn't in my script1111!!"

One of these days there will be a clock-themed villain based around something other than "My incredibly precise timing".

Add this box to Phantom Hyde's dialogue and it changes nothing. Prove me wrong.

Yes but Phantom Hyde is a generic fill in the blanks villain. You could toss half of the villains' dialogue in this game into his speech and it wouldn't change.

Though now I want to see Phantom Hyde ranting about his stage and then suddenly going 'Gok gok gok'.

So, goons, I've just come to a conclusion. If ClockMan uses his powers like he should, there is no way in hell both MegaMans would be able to win. Hell, even deleting him is pointless, as via the power of time paradoxes, he'd just come back. We are fighting a guy who somehow control time.

Nah he's overclocking his CPU. It just looks like he's controlling time.

MegaMan asks him what his plans are, and it's as Capcom as you might think.

Oh boy, time for :moreevil:

:dogbutton: The dude kidnaps girl Navis so he can bring them back to his lair and what? Stare at them? First ColorMan and now this. This dude's practically a date rapist, christ. I think Capcom saw the movie "The Collector" and wanted to emulate that.

... What the gently caress.

So, we threw off his plans by 2 minutes, because he thinks it'll take that long to delete us and get on with his plan. To be fair, if I had godly power like that, my arrogance would probably be much worse than it is now. I'm man enough to admit it.

Though this brings up the thought of "You control time you loving moron how are you failing ever, why is your plan even taking 32 hours to succeed when you control time."

Wile E. ClockMan. Suuuuuuper geeeeeeenius!

Instead of Acme-brand equipment, it's all https://www.

:master:

Mega: "Get bent loser"

This dude is loving psycho. Who made you, jackass?

Humans are the real villains after all.

The StarForce 2 Boss theme starts playing and will actually smoothly lead into the fight!

Alright, guys. ClockMan was coded like a later Battle Network boss, so that comes with some creative ideas. See that clock in the background? Get to know it.

ClockMan moves in 2 square bursts. So it's Move-Move-Wait or Move-Move-Attack. If he attacks, he'll use Clock Slicer, which can deal 60 damage and travel slow and straight. Their hitbox seems quite lenient, as I was able to basically clip through it as it was travelling past a panel. Their HP is also 60 and can be destroyed. You'll see this move all the time.

The clock is turning as the fight goes on...when you see it strike 3 PM, you'll see another move.

A Clock Portal appears on the spot where ClockMan was originally if and only if you fired a projectile of some sorts. It shoots out a laser down your row, dealing 100 damage. If you fire in 2 different rows, it will spawn 2 clock portals, so don't get antsy and fire your buster all the time. This is obviously called Clock Laser.

When the clock strikes at 6 PM, you have another move, and...

ClockMan summons Crimson-loving-Dragon from StarForce 3 to chomp your entire back column. Yes. Yes, he did this. And yet, MegaMan is expected to win here? Bullshit. It deals 150, so that's a chunk of health, but if you get hit by this, then you need to pay attention because that shouldn't happen. This move is called Calling Crimson.

Just... don't be in the back row. Please.

Now it strikes at 9AM and he's got another treat for us.

He summons Rogue from StarForce 2 to try and cut us. This will follow you 2 additional times, while Rogue appears on a panel and cuts another. This move deals a whopping 200 damage and it's probably his deadliest move due to the range potential and how it combos well with Clock Slicer. There is no official name for this move, so let's just say it's called Calling Rogue based on convention.

So if it strikes at midnight, he'll pull out his signature attack.

Mega Clock Laser moves to whatever is considered your first 2 columns and fires a whopping 250 damage attack on them. Note I said "what is considered your first 2 columns". In this screenshot, I used Areagrab, making the clock go even further away from me. If you get hit by this, just chuck the cartridge into the garbage. If this move could track you? It'd be a threat.

Just... be in the back row. Please.

While ClockMan is using this move he's very vulnerable and can't be flinched on it, so combo away. Normally, when he's hit by a move dealing 80+ damage, he'll flinch.

It's possible for ClockMan to appear in a Crimson Dragon portal or a Clock Laser portal. This is mainly an attempt to dodge one of your moves.

It looks like an interesting fight. The Navi fights always were the best part of these games for me, at least.

There are some bugs, unfortunately. In Battle Network 1, boss and player collisions still treat the player being a physical object on the field instead of transparent invisible. For some reason, ClockMan's collision is programmed as if he would be in Battle Network 2 and beyond. As such, attacks like Ratton go right through him after damaging him and IceCube would take longer to explode after damaging him.

Hell, you can try to destroy all his panels and he'll even stand on a broken panel. Capcom pls.

Give them a break, the interns did their best.

There is some measure of a through-line with ClockMan's big clock. So small points for that little detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOpEuPBHa1Y

No, the translators didn't do this. The interns made ClockMan's chip drop on the first encounter. That's nice, but it's an odd moment of inconsistency with the rest of the game.

At least you don't have to throw the V3 fight to get it.

We sure cleaned his clock, Yeti.

I hate you.

Dude, you controlled time. How could you lose?

They walk up at the exact same time.

Well you can tell by the way I use my walk he's a woman's man, no time to talk.

See? Now that's a sweet line. The wonders of setting up characters even if it wasn't in this game.

I like Sonia. She's probably my favorite character from the StarForce series, if only because she's actually good at what she does.

:siren: You GeoXLuna fans in the thread need to pack it in. Accept it. Your ship ain't canon. Leave.

Firing some broadsides, I see. Everyone knows the canon answer to who's item do you save in SF3 is Bud.

MegaMan is nervous for some reason. It's like they wrote Anime MegaMan for this and not Game MegaMan. There are idiosyncrasies between those two iterations, for those uninformed.

Anime MegaMan is a lot different from his game counterpart. Also, PAs exist in the show but you have to train to use their power properly or something? It's weird.

Shut up Lan.

Shut up Lan, you're ruining the moment.

After a fade, we cut to this.

Get hosed.

Kill someone we actually like, Joker.

Man, just how many times are we going to dunk on those shippers? 3-for-3!

God drat! But... what would Lan learn? To deny anything and everything? He's already doing that

making GBS threads on Lan for things he can't understand is par for the course for these types of things. poo poo, I bet even Omega-Xis knows what to do.

You say that like he hasn't been sniping at Lan constantly.

That's a far-reaching assumption. ClockMan could have went to any point in time to find Navi girls to nab.

Well, it's probably connected to their portal thanks to the fact that he only had Roll and Sonia kidnapped.

Who's that? :aaa:

Another cool character, I hope!

And of course it's connected to the one time where they need to go. Of course.

...It's probably Zack. gently caress Zack.

"Will you become my Facebook friend? We don't want our society to end up like Mu."

Lan laying it down how it is. That poo poo's corny.

Very corny, but character development! Look how far Geo's come from the sad shut-in who refused to make friends.

This just lets us use MegaMan StarForce like we've already been doing. As well as access Humor jokes.

gently caress, the Humor jokes!

Oh, hell yes! We're gonna see that bad boy...in the next update.

Capcom managed to spare the effort and give them both a waving animation. It's nice.

They put the effort in the weirdest places.

:comeback:

I'm sad now. Noooooo.

I'm gonna miss ArmNavi.

: Well, he came all the way from the future to save that girl. He didn't even know if he would get back home... That must have been really tough. I won't be outdone by him... Hey, MegaMan?

: What is it, Lan?

: I've been thinking about this for a while. Those WWW guys... Can't we do something about them?

: Huh!?

...Haven't we been doing this all game!?

I think he means permanently.

Lan is going to shank a bitch.

I guess since Lan seemed relatively uneasy or, unethusiastic about fighting World 3...this right here is now supposed to make him storm the World 3 base later, and probably make want to be more proactive in stopping crime in the future. Because if you'll notice, Lan in the later games jumps right into things at the drop of a hat.

Once you've saved the world once, it just becomes your day job, huh? Though I think a lot of the BN2 and 3 stuff gets kicked off by the villains putting his friends in danger.

Vote 5 for Jerk Chaud.

It's lines like this that make me think MegaMan and ProtoMan just meet up at the cyber bar every night to drink and whine about their operators.

And that's it for the new content. What did you guys think? It started off kinda lame, but I think it picked up towards the middle. It's...decidedly average and very short as a scenario. I don't necessarily take issue with ideas, just execution. Lot of big concepts at play here that needed the foundation to properly sell them and they weren't there. But it wasn't a bad scenario because at least you got good character interactions (mostly).

Taking it for what it is, it's fine albeit with a few issues that need working out. The problem that I have with it is that this right here was supposed to justify buying and playing through Battle Network 1 all over again. And that's vanilla BN1 with maybe a few changes to make things feel closer to the rest of the BN games (like asterisk code and all that). As it stands, I don't think the scenario is good enough to earn the full price they asked for - though that's the point of an LP, so you readers don't have to buy it yourself.

Take a look at EPM's version of this scenario and see how accurate you think it is. See you next week.

...Nah he pretty much nailed it.

giver336 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 1, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The scenario had a lot of dumb things in it but I did appreciate some of (Lan's frustrations, the back & forths, Geo in general etc) the writing and Clock Man is obnoxious but otherwise a cool boss.

But man seeing the writing of Mega/Roll & Geo/Sonia is striking. The BN crew has 6 games to themselves but they don't change that much (most of it being on Lan). One of the reasons I liked SF1 in particular so much was they set up like..arcs! For characters to have! The writing wasn't perfect (Luna still leans too hard into the tsundere trope even in 3, Zack is just awful) and SF2 threw all of that in the trash, but SF3 did try to pick up the slack.
Set Dressing vs Actual Characters.

Also it bugs me they had a contest for the villain and chose a villain whose theme is time and clocks when they already had a time & clock based robot master to use. Time Man! At that point surely there had to be other use submitted designs that were more interesting to use, right?

Prof. 9
Jan 3, 2015
ClockMan's original name (from his fan submitted design) was Clock Genius. I like to believe that's why he has the geeeeenius shtick.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Despite Megaman acting out of character for this crossover, I felt that the personalities of the gang from Star Force were pretty faithful to their original games.

It feels a bit awkward that Lan is calling Brothers corny, seeing as he eventually made the whole system.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Geo and Sonia are my favorite characters in MMBN and SF, because they're actual people with development and stuff. I feel like this scenario really nailed their writing.

Otherwise, the scenario was kind of forgettable, like that one episode of a show that doesn't change anything and was only thrown in for filler.

Also gently caress Zach, gently caress Prez, GeoxSonia forever.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

BlazeEmblem posted:

It feels a bit awkward that Lan is calling Brothers corny, seeing as he eventually made the whole system.

Reminder: this is BN1 lan, not BN6 Adult-Lan, he’s got a lotta growing to do. And puns to make. Also friendship and science is magic or some poo poo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You know, were it not for the fact that Wily has no idea about any of the poo poo that's going on (and Zap and Maddy never seem to tell him), I'd be inclined to believe that this is what gave him the inspiration to make CopyBots in BN6.

Also, Geo/Sonia is the real OTP. :colbert:

Ah, blink animation, your timing is impeccable as always.

giver336 posted:

Holding down the B Button fires the MegaBuster rapidly. Not pressing the B Button will charge the MegaBuster! This means you don't have to keep pressing the button and make your finger hurt!

This is actually one of the reasons I enjoyed Star Force right out the gate. :v:

giver336 posted:

To all you StarForce veterans, there isn't anything like DiagLock, or SideLock unfortunately.

There probably would've been if this was a Battle Network 3 remake.

giver336 posted:

The dude kidnaps girl Navis so he can bring them back to his lair and what? Stare at them? First ColorMan and now this. This dude's practically a date rapist, christ.

Is this more or less creepy than CircusMan?

Disregarding his other absurdly overpowered abilities, if he can summon final bosses at will, this shouldn't even be a fight.

Honestly, why doesn't he just rewind time if he starts losing?

BlazeEmblem posted:

Dramatic irony! Also, he doesn't know MegaMan is his brother yet.

As far as thoughts on the scenario, how about making the impact wider reaching than one one-off scenario and making it not occur at the rear end end of the game?! :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 23, 2018

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

GeneralYeti posted:

Kill someone we actually like, Joker.

I still can't believe that line got immortalized. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

giver336 posted:

Take a look at EPM's version of this scenario and see how accurate you think it is. See you next week.

That's... actually pretty accurate, yeah.

I wonder if his opinions on SF softened since then, though. I know he's at least seen the original game up to the end of Libra's scenario.

Prof. 9 posted:

ClockMan's original name (from his fan submitted design) was Clock Genius. I like to believe that's why he has the geeeeenius shtick.

Maybe he was supposed to be an FM-ian or something.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

I still can't believe that line got immortalized. :v:

It's a good line.

I remember when I played that game and I was so shocked that they killed someone! In a Mega Man game! And I was really looking forward to see how the game would handle a death like that, the emotional impact, how it would affect Geo and his friends' motivation to fight the enemy team...

And then the rest of the plot happened.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

A clock based boss that isn't obsessed with schedules? Introducing manager man! He focuses on yelling at teenagers for getting overtime, he's not made of money!*

*he is totally covered in clocks made of money.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Roll's a GIRL. That's why she's SPECIAL. Hurf durf.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Solumin posted:

It's a good line.

I remember when I played that game and I was so shocked that they killed someone! In a Mega Man game! And I was really looking forward to see how the game would handle a death like that, the emotional impact, how it would affect Geo and his friends' motivation to fight the enemy team...

And then the rest of the plot happened.

Hey, Mega Man games kill people! Usually villains.

But the Classic timeline especially!

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'm not Luna's biggest fan, but little me still got shook when she got dusted. Anyhow, this scenario was really neat and actually just makes me miss Star Force a lot, along with wanting to see/play the old games again.

eternaldough fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 23, 2018

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

giver336 posted:

:allears:

They just give zero shits.
I like to believe this happens every time Lan runs into Dex's house to use his computer for shortcut purposes. If only because it's hilarious. :allears:
I'm loving the dialogue between Lan and Omega. Honestly, his characterization here is one of the first things that've made me seriously playing through StarForce, he's great.
Clockman is a very, very dumb villain, but his motivation goes from creepy to just hilarious if you think about it: he wants life-size anime figurines.

Clockman, probably posted:

"Ugh, I can't believe figma never released a Roll.exe figure, she's prime waifu material!!
This is why you don't torrent anime onto the same hard-drive as your TimeBullshitProgramAI.exe file, scientists! :colbert:

Also, yes, Geo x Sonia best ship.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I mean the simplest solution for shipping Wars is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgFyCuKoEGA

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Onmi posted:

I mean the simplest solution for shipping Wars is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgFyCuKoEGA

It solves the shipping, sure, but the inheritance problems have just begun.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Clock Man/Clock Genius could be both a navi (there's Clock Men in Rockman & Forte: Challenger from the Future, even) and also the FMian for the constellation Horologium.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Golux posted:

Clock Man/Clock Genius could be both a navi (there's Clock Men in Rockman & Forte: Challenger from the Future, even) and also the FMian for the constellation Horologium.

Like with Sharkman (who was a robot master in one of the Megaman DOS games) I'm guessing it was probably just a coincidence in regards to the first one.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 24, 2018

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

quote:

(Credit to Croccers for that one...)

quote:

It's one on the fuckup tally,

Ah, memories...:allears:

Omega-xis is a cool dude. This whole scenario makes me wish SF continued.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
As crossovers go, subbing in for a monster-of-the-week episode is a pretty solid way to do it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Glazius posted:

As crossovers go, subbing in for a monster-of-the-week episode is a pretty solid way to do it.

When your one selling point isn't the crossover, sure. But here we have the earliest, roughest, second most unfun game of the franchise, nearly unchanged despite the sheer amount of upgrades that happened between 1 and 2 alone, nevermind the other three good games, despite being in a stronger console, and the reason Capcom gives to buy it again despite being a blatant cashgrab with no effort put into it, is being a crossover between both BN-timeline series. Which happens for all of one scenario then you're back to the usual BN1 plot.

It's bad. The writing genuinely being pretty good outside of Mega being very OOC doesn't change that. They couldn't even make a good fight between the MegaMen. At least ClockMan looks fun, even if it's really weird that a Navi would be made in the future with this kind of power over a Wizard.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A fun detail is that there's a Battle Network side quest in Star Force 2, as I recall, that details how Can made the Brotherband system. So Geo being in awe of him makes more sense with that in mind.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

At least ClockMan looks fun, even if it's really weird that a Navi would be made in the future with this kind of power over a Wizard.

There's no way Clockman is really a Navi. Geo's explanation sounds like he's dumbing down or outright lying about lots of the little details.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A fun detail is that there's a Battle Network side quest in Star Force 2, as I recall, that details how Can made the Brotherband system. So Geo being in awe of him makes more sense with that in mind.

As I recall, BN MegaMan also turns up like... in person in that side quest. Long enough to say who he is, at least. Or I might be thinking of SF3, it's been so long since I read the LP of SF2 and played SF3...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That was a sidequest in SF1, but yes, Geo actually meets Hub before the events of this game.

Or would that be after? Time travel. :psyduck:

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That was a sidequest in SF1, but yes, Geo actually meets Hub before the events of this game.

For Geo it would've been before OSS, seeing as he's coming off SF3 given who all is involved with his side of the crossover plot. As for the MegaMan.EXE that pops up in that sidequest in SF... it's probably well after the evens of BN6? I dunno :psyduck:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Magnus Ragnar posted:

For Geo it would've been before OSS, seeing as he's coming off SF3 given who all is involved with his side of the crossover plot. As for the MegaMan.EXE that pops up in that sidequest in SF... it's probably well after the evens of BN6? I dunno :psyduck:

I believe the Megaman.exe that shows up in SF1 is Post-BN6 Megaman.exe, which means he either forgot all about this because timey-wimey ball or he just doesn't say a word. And god knows there'd have been a follow up in the scrapped OSS2.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I seriously don't remember this at all. Was this some bonus from inserting a Battle Network game into the bottom DS slot or something?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yes, as I recall. It's the sidequest to unlock the BN Blaster.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I believe all three SF games had a similar sidequest.
Sadly none of them changed the battle music like BN5DS did

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

quote:

ClockMan Discussion

I believe he also has the power to come to the real world as well since other Navis could as well. That is, if you accept Navis only existed in SF1 prior to this. Because the sudden lack of them was confusing.

It's likely there won't be an update this week since I'm switching housing. Here's this to tie you over.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Seeing the most annoying viruses in the series destroyed like that is cathartic.

Also, zenny prize. :v:

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

First saw this during the TeamBN marathon. And have to say, I don't really like it. While the SF characters were pretty great to see and as many others have mentioned are a stark contrast to the BN ones, it feels almost like it was the lowest effort possible while still being able to technically have it qualify a new scenario. SF Megaman almost obsoletes EXE. Clockman was okay, there's certainly worse and his boss battle was interesting.

It isn't tag on the internet, at least. One thing I like about BN1 is that there's none of that to be had.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Honestly, is there any reason to even use EXE after you get Geo? He just seems better in every conceivable regard.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
PvP-wise, I believe people prefer MegaMan.exe. His buster packs a lot more punch and Geo's shield leaves him vulnerable after use. I suppose I didn't do a good job of conveying, but there's an input window where you can't do anything else. Small, but significant.

Prof. 9
Jan 3, 2015
Mega Man SF's lock-on ability is pretty neat, but there aren't that many chips that really need it. His shield can be useful, but has a long cooldown time (and it eats your Buster charge), plus it really does leave you wide open after it wears off. Though I could see it being useful on Bass.

On the other hand, MegaMan.EXE gets the far stronger Buster, which deals 80 damage per charge shot when maxed out (96 against the LifeVirus!), compared to SF's paltry 30 damage. Single player-wise, it's especially useful for taking out MagicMan's and the LifeVirus's virus summons.

Prof. 9 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 29, 2018

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Unfortunately, Giver's housing situation is a bit complicated at the moment, so the LP will be on a bit of a hiatus until the severed wires outside the place are repaired and he has internet not on his phone again. ETA is 7-10 for his internet to be back, so... hopefully we can get an update out in a few weeks. Hang on tight, we're not letting this die when we're only a few bosses away from the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GeneralYeti posted:

Unfortunately, Giver's housing situation is a bit complicated at the moment, so the LP will be on a bit of a hiatus until the severed wires outside the place are repaired and he has internet not on his phone again. ETA is 7-10 for his internet to be back, so... hopefully we can get an update out in a few weeks. Hang on tight, we're not letting this die when we're only a few bosses away from the end.

See, this wouldn't happen in the dystopic future where you have internet at all times thanks to your AI friend that may or may not have a soul, depending on how far into the series you are, and if you have a disposable twin to turn into code.