Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

RockMan.exe Operate Shooting Star(MegaMan Battle Network: Operate Star Force) was a Japanese-only Nintendo DS game released in 2009, with a translation patch coming out 9 years later. It's essentially a port of the first MegaMan Battle Network game with extra features and content. Download the patch here. Here's a second patch to remove voice acting if you so prefer.

We never got this game ported over to the states due to low sales. These were going into the bargain bin two weeks after release. I heard a quoted figure of a mere 15,000 sales a while back. The reason for this can mainly be attributed to bad marketing. You see, the marketing conveyed that it would be a new experience, or at least a heavily revamped Battle Network 1. Because of super small budget and team size, we got neither. If you approach this game without too many expectations, it's fairly enjoyable if flawed.

Staff?

Me, Giver, being my usual self with GeneralYeti in bold.

Spoiler policy?

Since this is an enhanced port, I'll expect you to be familiar with Battle Network 1, as I'll be constantly referring to each change, big or small. Give EPM's old Battle Network 1 LP a read.

While not per se required, it's highly recommended you get familiar with the cast of MegaMan Star Force. Give BlitzBlast's LP a read. Yeti and I will do our best to get you up to speed.

Terminology?

The translators are people who I regularly talk with. As such, I will say "the translators" when referring to them and "the developers" when referring to the Japanese team. The translator did make some QoL alignments in an effort to make it consistent across the series.

Format?

Hybrid. Screenshots for the game, videos for the bosses. That said, sometimes certain programs can be annoying for uploading videos.

Table of Contents

Main:

The meat and potatoes of this game, containing a comprehensive overview of the game's content. Story, as well as general game completion are updated here.

Update #1: The Boys Are Back

Update #2: The Same But Different

Update #3: Our Puns Are Just Straight Fire

Update #4: 01101000 01110101 01101000

Update #5: Giver Is A Hammer Bro

Update #6: Giver's Playground

Update #6-1: Prof Explains The Mystery Data Bug...In Great Detail

Update #7: Mean Green

Update #8: World 3 Water U Doing

Update #9: Giver is a Meanie Poopiehead

Update #10: Art Lessons

Update #11: Handyman

Update #12: MissEchelon's Opinion of This Update Shall Be Binary; Love It Or Hate It

Update #13: Fire the Interns

Update #14: The GeoXLuna Fans Are On Suicide Watch

Update #15: Ya wanna backtrack some more huh?

Update #16: Just :effort:

Update #17: Yeti's throwing S-hade ranks.

Update #18: Deja vu

Update #19: Chump'd

Update #20: Drawing This Out. You Shall Hate Me.

Update #21: Bass Fishing

Update #22: It's The End...But I Feel new Life

S-ranking Navi Section

-The section of the LP that details overall strategies in defeating bosses in 30 seconds or less for some of the most powerful attacks in the game. Given, however, that this is Battle Network 1....well.

Update #1: Intro and Overview

Update #2: WWW Story Bosses

Update #3: Friendly Bosses

Update #4: They Called Me a Robot in the Thread; They Asked For This

Update #5: ClockMan and the PostGame Navis

Update #6: Basstard

Bonus:

-Ancillary content such as the Humor Program text and the Star Coliseum minigame. Check here for the Chip Encyclopedia as well.

Update #1: yopyop Is God Tier

Update #2: (Don't!) gently caress This St-

Update #3: Press LClick The Screen To Die

Update #4: Volume 1: Standard Chip ID: #001 - #091

Update #5: Volume 2: Standard Chip ID: #092 - #181

Update #6: Volume #3: Program Advance ID: #001 -- #038

giver336 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #1: The Boys Are Back

Welcome, everyone. I promised the translation team I would Let's Play this when they finished their work, so off we go. I got GeneralYeti back with me again, coming off our victory against BassBS. Wake up Yeti.

Hello, I'm here. And probably awake.

I linked the translation patch for this in the OP, so go grab it if you want to play along.

OperateShooting Star (OSS) saves data outside the normal game, hence this message. We're actually about to see that further in.

The boys are back, and given that this is a port-with-extra-features type of game, the developers will at least try to convey the new material as best they can.

And nothing says 'Enhanced Remake' like a fancy new animated intro. Granted, it's better than nothing, which is what BN1 had before.

Eyyy, this looks cool. Now, this Let's Play will assume you've played through Battle Network 1. I linked EPM's earlier Let's Play in the description post, so go check that out. I'll also assume you know a bit about Geo Stelar and his transformation (MegaMan), but for that, I'll make sure to try and explain anything that's too confusing.

The joke answer is, StarForce is what happened when the BN writers realized that WiFi existed.

After that intro, we're taken to the title screen. Instead of jumping right in, let's check out this "Star Colo" (Star Coliseum).

Ah, and this minigame of sorts supports DS Download Play. I honestly loved that feature.

It was a nice way to get other people involved, even if they didn't have the game. I remember hosting a bunch of Mario Kart DS races, where half of the racers were Shy Guys.

The Star Colo DS Download Play hasn't been translated. That's because it's signed, meaning your DS won't run it if was modified.

Spoilers. :v: But that's fine, this LP is for those who mainly want to check the differences between the original Battle Network 1 and this. So, completion of this minigame earns us points.

So, Bass is the only enemy we fight in the Star Coliseum. He'll chase us down constantly. If he catches us twice, we lose. To damage him, we need to pick up bombs and place them in Bass' path to deal damage. The closer Bass is to the bomb radius, the more damage he takes.

We'll also gain points based on our deletion time, and get 1 point if we lose the minigame. These points can be redeemed in the campaign for strong BattleChips.

See, I like this! It's an interesting little game, and if you play enough you get a bonus that's not necessary to win but definitely makes things easier. It's an incentive to play with friends (even if you also get points for playing solo but shh, we don't talk about that).

Note: You can unlock Bass as a playable character, but we have to play 50 matches. We aren't going to go too deep into this minigame right now, so I'll just cover the basics.

The maze is a cool map. In fact, the music is actually StarForce 2's final boss track. I AM NOW YOPYOP

YOPYOP RISES

Bass is a cheater and can fly over the area. One bomb can deal 100-300 damage depending on radius. It's possible to combo two bombs together to deal even more damage at a time. This is semi-difficult, as you can only hold one item at a time. And yes, the bombs can damage us and take out our HP. Remember, you only have 2 HP in this.

Fantastic ability. Once you're like this, Bass loses sight of you, and you can sneak up and hit him with bombs. Note: you can still take damage from your own bombs.

There could be a yopyop behind you right now and you might not know :tinfoil:

This is a speed up, letting us move twice as fast. Self-explanatory.

This color represents a temporary bridge. It will constantly disappear after flickering for a bit, and then reform. If you're caught on the bridge when it falls, then you lose 1 HP.

So when you get caught, you stay on the floor for a few seconds...

And spawn somewhere else. For some reason, whenever I had one HP left, Bass sped up considerably. This rear end in a top hat can literally fly halfway across the map in under 5 seconds and hit me again, forcing a loss. Only way to stop this, is to have a speed up, but those are temporary! So, if that happens, and you can't damage him before you're out of speed, then you're dead. Start over.

Luck-based trash.

Eat poo poo, Bass. Strongest Navi, my rear end.

Strong words coming from someone who just whined about how hard the game could be the screenshot before this.

And he goes down. :woop:

You can press directions on the D-pad to use different cheer effects. Useless, but it's funny.

"Also, because you beat Bass in 3 minute(s), I present to you 10 point(s) as a bonus!"

Boy, we're just rich.

We'll see the prize costs later.

Going over the other maps, we have Standard, which is exactly how it sounds. There aren't as many powerups like on Maze, but it's balanced.

This map is both a boon for its simplicity and a curse. There are removable bridges leading to the corners on the map, but that's a trap.

I actually like this map, mainly because Bass' speedups don't matter. By jumping on the wave arrows, we can get to the other sections really quickly. It evens the playing field, especially since Bass can travel over the abyss.

This map is based off of the StarForce side of this crossover. The warps on the bottom left seem more useful than the others, since it lets you choose which direction to flee.

The Triple island map is actually not bad. It's condensed enough in some parts to keep things tense, and the items on some parts aren't too spread out.

Getting stuck in the top-right might be dangerous if you're not careful, since there's no quick escapes like in the bottom-right island.

ACDC is the final map, and the simplest. Honestly, just run around on the outskirts and drop bombs.

Just a note, you can press A to do a normal attack. It won't do any damage, but it'll cause Bass to go through his hurt frames, giving you a chance to get away.

Alright, let's check out the Prologue.

Yeah, let's! I always love the condensed insanity of these stories, even as dumb as they can get :allears:

Also, fair warning, there might be minor spoilers for StarForce, mostly SF1 and only about the characters.

OK, so for this LP, I'll be mostly cutting out the bottom screen. As you just saw, a lot of times the bottom screen consists of the same imagery, or even a black screen. I'll put it up if there's something visually interesting, like maybe a map, but most other times, it's not necessary. It's a bit of extra work, but oh well. :effortless:

For those of you not familiar with the SF side, Blue Boy in the top right is our resident MegaMan, Geo Stelar. The trio on the bottom right are, from left to right, Zack, Luna, and Bud. They act like Yai, Mayl, and Dex from the BN series, though it's not a one-to-one match.

Zack, you useless poo poo. You're back.

You know, the whole Saturday Morning Cartoon/Anime trope of one-note characters has really irked me these recent years.

Bud is a useless idiot but he is also Geo's best bud (no pun intended) and I will hear no wrong against him. :colbert:

I know SSNeoMan hates Luna. Quick, someone get him in this thread!

Luna is like a normal-sized Yai. Though I think they overcompensated when they went with the princess ringlets, wow.

"computers around the world were linked as one, thanks to technology created by Dr.Hikari..."

Are they talking about Tadashi or Yuichiro? Probably Tadashi.

Lan's Dad is (was?) an internet wizard, but Tadashi was the one that started it all.

So, this is obviously post-Starforce 3. They're actually playing the WAXA theme in this scene. Do note the lack of A.C. Eos I betcha he's dead. DEAD.

"If Geo and OMega-Xis EM Wave Change... and become MegaMan, they can freely enter the Internet."

Which, y'know, doesn't really make a lot of sense. But that's not this game's fault. See, Starforce had issues with its own identity as it couldn't decide whether to go in a completely new direction, or stick with the old fans. Hence the fact that Cyber Cores are still using similar tech to 200 years past. But, it's science fantasy, so whatever.

I mean technically EM Wave Changing turns the human's body into radio waves so being able to enter the internet implies that the 'Internet' as we know it in BN is really just a cluster of radio waves.

So if the servers got out of control, the wavelengths could get likewise out of control and do weird things to the human body. They could possibly interfere with electrical signals being sent from the brain, not unlike radiation.

Basically I'm saying that BN2 isn't so far-fetched anymore.

Easy. Destroy everything, of course.

Omega-Xis is roughly the NetNavi analogue.

You know, I get the feeling they were setting up for an OSS2, of sorts. But that didn't happen.

"She"? Well, there are only 2 people who that could be, and one of them is always home doing nothing.

Oh no, is Sonia okay? :ohdear:

Spoilers. :v:

"In order for you to return, you'll have no choice but to find those two in the world of 200 years ago."

"Those two"? Why would she mean Lan and MegaMan? :psyduck:

It's actually Yuichiro and Dr. Wily, plot twist.

Stakes are high at the start of a MegaMan RPG. Refreshing, for once.

Hey now, there was one game that started with a meteor coming to smash into the planet, that's kinda high-stakes.

gently caress y'all. I want my Starforce 4. I'd play it despite your gripes with the Battle System. Fight me.

The Battle System is serviceable if not what I was expecting from the Battle Network series. Also it's stupidly easy to break over your knee, but that could be said about the BN Chip Folder too.

But yes, seconding the call for StarForce 4.

"However, there's something I want you to be aware of. Don't interact too much with people of that era."

Let's pull a Futurama and sleep with our own grandmother. Cause all the paradoxes! DO IT

Better idea, after saving this mysterious 'her' go and kill Dr. Regal. Save us all from the stupidity of Battle Network 4.

Soooo, don't mention we're looking for the girl? That's gonna make intel-gathering...hard.

Probably more like 'Don't tell people you're from the future and also a human fused with an alien'.

Some of you in this thread would be happy about that.

Geo turns to leave in the clock portal thing.

"MegaMan... No, Geo! Make aaaaaabsolutely sure you come back!!"

Yeah, I'll guarantee that. Jokes aside, this isn't a terrible scene. There's effort in this, for sure.

Bud can actually Wave Change, but I guess the portal can only accommodate one being.

They did say it could only be used once. I wouldn't trust Bud in the past, he'd be like a bull in a china shop. :v:

And there he goes.

Blinky's back. Striking in at the worst (best?) possible times. Some things never change, Yeti.

Hey, our buddy! The unofficial third commentator in the series. Welcome back!

Seeing this poo poo really makes me want to play another game now, gently caress.

This is back when we just found AOL Online. What a poo poo time that was.

It could have been worse, he could have been dropped off into someone's MySpace page.

:smith: Well poo poo.

Omega-Xis may seem like a jerk, but that's honestly his way of getting Geo to act. It may not seem like it, but he feels exactly what Geo does, Omega-Xis' just more forward-thinking.

Omega is like a more brusque Megaman (the NetNavi) in that he seems to genuinely want Geo to be happy, it's just that nagging the kid is his way of doing it.

"...Yeah. I can't back down now. She must be somewhere in this time period. We have to find her so we can go home together."

Well, if EM Wave-Changers can be on the Internet, then there's only one person we're looking for.

Yep. We gotta save Sonia/Harp Note.

Oh no, my favorite recurring character! We gotta save her, Giver.

Let's do this!

Hooray!

...In the next update.

giver336 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 22, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #2: The Same But Different

Double Update Bonus!

Well, this is a familiar sight.

And here we come upon our first minor change: new mugshots for the cast. I personally do like the new mugshot for Lan.

Ooh, fancy. I appreciate the little bits of effort they put into making this game better.

Just to be clear, this will be a full-length LP, but the BN1 stuff will have free reign as far as discussion goes. Anything in the thread referring to the new content is off-limits, you hear?

This warning has now been in the OP and in the updates themselves. You have no excuses.

So, WWW has been around for an unspecified amount of time -- a stark contrast to other games where the evil organization first debuts to the world by the game's first chapter.

Now you may think that it's Sunday going by the text, but it's actually Monday. Poor old Dad doesn't get the weekends off.

Oh, I see they missed a period. Good to see that these games are still the same as ever.

"It was about some guy in the future coming back to the past or some bullshit like that."

One of the first big changes that I can see is that we press B to walk. Lemme repeat:

Running is the default. We press B to walk.

We press B to walk.

We press B to walk.

:supaburn: HOLY gently caress WE HAVE A CODE RUN. I REPEAT, WE HAVE A CODE RUN

The game devs have learned how to make quality of life improvements. I hope this keeps up. Yes I'm looking at you, power plant you rat gently caress.

It's funny how most chip descriptions in Battle Network go from a narrator-esque description to Lan's inner thoughts. They repeat this in every game.

Why hello, Bottom Screen. The game displaying the Location is something I'm quite happy about, since the Internet Areas in this game are just separated by numbers.

They did something similar in the BN 5 remake, and all the StarForce games. They CAN learn.

I...don't like MegaMan's mugshot in this game. I think it's the worst of all the redone ones.

He looks younger. Maybe it's the neck.

I'm only leaving this screenshot in for one reason: they introduced anime voice acting in the game for certain key lines and phrases. ...Only you can't turn it off. :suicide101:

I'm disappointed the translation team didn't redub it with comical voices Please don't, dear god.

They did something similar in the BN 5 remake, only this doesn't star the :swoon: amazing voice of Colonel :swoon:

Sweet, they redid the lovely old Menu. It has more pizzaze.

Redone Chip Library screen too. You can see they added 5 new chips, since we're at 179 max instead of 174.

While this was called Steal in the original game, the translators took it upon themselves to rename it to AreaGrab, just for series consistency. They also took it upon themselves to polish the chip descriptions so that they read more like Battle Network 6's.

Thank you, translators, for putting in that extra effort to make sure this game is better.

...There is a dump all chips to pack feature. HALLELUJAH. I won't be using it much right now, though.

This screen also got a tweak as well. We don't have armors in this game, people, so please bear that in mind.

Armors were weird, and only in BN1 the Original, so I'm glad they're gone.

Instead of the CrossGun K in the original, the game has Dad give us our very first asterisk chip, a new addition to this entry in the franchise. Going right in the folder.

Oh no Netcrime!

Haruka's mug didn't get tweaked, so it's a bit jarring with the rest of the cast, even if she isn't a major character, it's a bit inconsistent.

Mornin' and Morning? Prof 9, since you whine about these in Chrono X, I'm gonna whine about these to you, too. :v:

Alternatively it's a way to communicate the fact that Lan's a kid. He's just not as formal or precise as his mother.

You don't have to do this, but it's a hint to grab something:

It's a Recov10 A. SIGH.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Mayl's is the second worst of the new ones, for me. Though, I will compliment it by saying it conveys the young girl look they were going for.

Bwah! That's... That's a mugshot, yikes. She does look a lot younger, yes.

Lan's personality in this game was probably the strongest in the franchise. I think that explains Yeti's avatar.

Part of it, at least. The rest of the bullshit is courtesy of goons from the Yu-Gi-Oh LP.

Mayl was also a bit more pushy. Fun fact: She was supposed to be a tsundere-type character originally, but since their popularity was waning, the creators decided against it. They just gave it to Luna Platz instead.

Geez. This girl is already training him.

You will *not* see banter like that in the later games. Enjoy it while you can.

I don't know, I like these two idiots. Their conversation is charming, and I wish the writers kept it up.

?

Quick, throw Chips at your oven, I'm sure that will help.

It seems a bit weird, but let's keep in mind that Lan is still going through the Hero's Journey. In that, he hasn't had his "call to action" yet. And no, the FireMan scenario doesn't count as that was incidental.

I don't wanna go. You can't make me.

Good lord the loving forehead aaaaaaaaa. Well, there's your revamped Yai mugshot. :shucks:

WHOA. GOD. What did they DO.

: Shut yo stupid rear end. I's only failed dis class twice. A'ight?

Charming.

This motherfucker got some chin.

Charming.

: Bitch, step off. No-one asked you and yo tumor-rear end head.

: drat right.

: Or be a quadrilateral whose diagonals bisect each other at right-angles.

GangsterDex is surprisingly erudite.

I am going to wreck all of you bitches. Make the whole class versus me so it's fair.

Ah, there's that smug-rear end Giver we all know and... know.

I forgot that this actually sets up a funny joke, later.

: Come say that to my face. I fuckin' dare you.

Oh no, the tutorial. SKIPPING (most of it).

You can skip this. YOU CAN ACTUALLY SKIP THIS JACK IN ANIMATION NOW.

AAAAAAAA :aaaaa:

Eyy, the maps. They look good. They're very useful especially since I know you guys get lost all the time. I don't. Git gud.

Again, being able to navigate bullshit does not make it good. I'm glad they added maps, and especially maps you don't have to find.

They definitely revamped the Custom Menu. For one, we can now see the chip codes, which is my favorite improvement. We can no longer have half of our folder in one screen, and you can now press Select to see the field just like in Battle Network 3+. Notably, we can also run away for free without needing an Escape chip!

Selecting one chip greys out the others we can't select. Great.

OK, guys, so this isn't a straight port of Battle Network 1. They added in this line. Yay. :regd09:

Best addition to the game, hands down. Even better than auto-run.

No. We fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzdOv4P4_9U

Only 200 HP. Easy pattern, again, you've seen this before in the original BN1.

GutsMan is pretty much never hard unless you're deliberately handicapping yourself.

I swear to God that screenshot was on accident. I swear.

Goons.gif

tag urself i'm those guy's legs in the back

This is a Giver LP. Which means...grinding and enemy analysis time. There's also an audio clip that plays each and every time you jack in.

Kill me.

No. Suffer.

I'm poo poo at screenshotting at times, but this was a Shotgun K. The translators would like to know if there were any changes in the Blue Mystery Datas, so I'll try and document best I can.

These guys also made Progs speak in ALL-CAPS to be consistent with Battle Network 4-6.

Hey, the best boys are back!

On the note of chip changes, hoo boy, there are a lot of them to cover, so I'll do them when relevant. For instance, enemies that can drop chips will always do so at Level S. Which, thank Christ for that one. If you remember my BN3 LP, then... yeah.

The "best" drop that comes at a Rank of S can now be gotten starting at Level 8 than a Level 9, and the chances have overall been raised.

Busting Level 4 now consistently drops better rewards, such as slightly higher Zenny.

Hell, a lot of chips had their codes changed. Just based on what I've seen at the start of the game, we have:

Shotgun (BN1): K M N Q R
Shotgun (OSS): K M N R *
Crossgun (BN1): C E F J K
Crossgun (OSS): E F J K *
Recov10 (BN1): A C E G L
Recov10 (OSS) A C E L *

...and many more, once I get to them.

They made a lot of small, mostly pointless changes. Giver and I will be doing our best to keep an eye out on everything in order to keep track of what's changing.

So, Canodumb in this game is unique in that the cursor it shoots out will only hit that square. Meaning, you can stand in the same row and not get hit. Observe:

Also, the buster's frames reset per movement input, so feel free to Left,Right,B spam all day long like the above.

I think everyone that played these games figured that out, even if they didn't understand exactly why. I know that I learned that while playing these games as a wee child.

This game features the same Ranking system as the others, which I'll re-summarize for those who forgot.

Battle Rewards System:

Time
0.00 ~ 5.00: +7 points
5.01 ~ 12.00: +6 points
12.01 ~ 36.00: +5 points
36.01 and up: +4 points

Movement
0 ~ 2 steps: +1 point
3 or more: +0 points

Times You Took Damage
0: +1 point
1: 0 points
2: -1 points
3: -2 points
4 or more: -3 points

Multiple Deletion:
Double Delete: +2 points
Triple Delete: +4 points

Getting a Rank of S requires 11 points. Therefore, in a match with two viruses, we need to get a Double Delete(+2) without getting hit(+1) in 5 seconds or less (+7) whilst moving no more than twice (+1). This is the hardest and most frequent scenario of S-ranking.

However, even in OSS, they still don't tell you when you got a double or triple delete. Makes me sad.

Learning all about the numbers makes it seem intimidating, but it's really neat. Honestly, just try to kill things fast and that's most of your points right there.

So let's see it. We have 2 viruses, with two chips above our head. Depending on what they are, we can maybe earn a double kill.

The second chip was CrossGun, so I had to line up the virus formation to allow me a simultaneous kill. Pretty much what you always wanna do is look at chips that can hit multiple enemies as that lets you S-rank and get better chips. CrossGun/Shotgun are good for this. Cannon is not.

In general, a lot of the early-game chips are hard to S-rank with, but that's part of the fun of the Chip folder - you start out with weak stuff, but by the end of the game you're hopping all over the field and killing things instantly. Makes it tedious to begin, but, well, that's why we learn how to blitz through the early-game.

Ahhh, no more Zenny for S-ranks. NICE.

Battle Network 1, 2 and now this game were really guilty about putting a single virus on the field. There is no point to this. You can't get a shot at an S-rank, even. I suppose it's mitigated by the chip drop changes, but still. On a more positive note, I do like the aesthetic of the in-screen chip description.

The real reason I jacked into here, this fucker. We can meet a Mettaur2 really early. He deals 40 damage, but he's a Mettaur, so come on now.

gently caress you.

I JUST praised you for increasing the drop rate and you pull this poo poo!? :argh:

Good job, game.

At lower levels, you'll get Guard, which you can hold down the A button to summon a shield for 3 seconds. Won't work on enemies that specifically ram into you, though. And yes, the translation team changed it from MetGuard to just Guard for later game consistency.

Good job translators.

Got it. Finally. This thing does a solid 80 damage so it can one shot most viruses we encounter in this scenario. And I'm done here.

Oi, gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

"NetSafety"? I've never heard of this organization.

Well, theoretically they're a group of world-wide workers devoted to ensuring the Net is Safe, hence the name.

LEAVE! Begone! No-one likes you!

I like to imagine Haruka is talking to this workman and then he just says "Hello." blankly.

I suppose it's fair that the control panel would alter every appliance in the house. Fine.

Gotta centralize to make things easier. Though, uh, I fail to see why a control panel on the wall over there is useful for an oven all the way in the kitchen.

Gee.

What are you talking about, we're having this safety guy check things out, there's no way we could have an oven fire.

>Looks evil

"He's so helpful!"

I take no responsibility for what happens.

He's just really into his job!

We can finally cash in our points since the last update.

I'll transcribe since this shop is massive:

Guard A 3p
Escape F 5p
LongSword N 8p
Recov50 * 15p
PanelOut1 * 20p
Repair * 30p
CrosBomb J 40p
RockCube * 50p
Recov120 * 60p
SloGauge * 70p
Invis1 * 80p
PanelOut3 * 100p
AreaGrab S 150p
FastGauge 500p
GutsMan G 30p
WoodMan W 80p
SkullMan D 100p
SharkMan S 120p
ProtoMan B 150p
GutsMan2 G 180p
WoodMan2 W 300p
SkullMan2 D 500p
SharkMan2 S 700p
ProtoMan2 B 1000p
HeroSword B 3000p

Well, I can tell you that the NaviChips are a poo poo choice to buy. You can get those easily enough in this game since the boss' HP is still low. There's probably a lot better ways to farm points, and no doubt playing with another live player yields more points, but it still isn't worth. I'll probably farm up the asterisk-coded stuff. The quantities are infinite, so farm away, friends.

If you like doing tedious minigames, that is.

See you guys in three weeks when Giver has a full set of HeroSwords.

Welcome to the worst Internet layouts in the series. The maps are super helpful at least.

They tried. The first attempt is allowed to be a stumbling block, as long as they don't repeat their mistakes. And they did, BN2 had a much better Internet layout.

Gotta find Yai's lost program. Don't mind if I abridge stuff. Again, you should know most of this by now.

Hey, we got Yai's twitter address. Too bad all she posts is mirror selfies with the flash on, the glare from her forehead is insane.

Alright, so, Green and Blue Mystery Data on the regular Internet areas and dungeons (read: not small comps) are exactly the same in Battle Network 1. They can also be savescummed to change the reward drop, so this means I'll be farming these heavily. The development team changed the datas to reflect the new chip codes, so it's worth covering.

Each area has 4 chip drops, and 4 Zenny drops. I'll only show the 4 chips and the highest Zenny value for the area. There's a 50% chance you'll get a virus in later areas, since there's no Untrap. Time to savescum and show each reward. Just imagine the scene from Dr. Strange, but with mystery data.

A green octahedron instead of a shapeless Chaos God. That'd sure change the outcome. Wait, what if Dr. Strange was a Mr.Prog?

GREEN MYSTERY DATA, I'VE COME TO BARGAIN! ALSO I BARK BECAUSE I AM A DOG-SHAPED ALARM, WOOF WOOF!

And there you have it.

Nothing fantastic, but this is the first area, temper your expectations.

You see what I mean? Absolutely no difference. The Blues even respawn, too. Terrible.

Of course, the blue mystery data behind this door actually matters. It's a little confusing, I know.

If I show pictures of Progs, maybe MissEchelon will draw us pics. :v:

It's as good a plan as any, I think.

Even MegaMan hates Mr.Progs.

"Ugh gently caress we had to find this stupid program like last week, Yai."

Spreader I is OK, if you decide to buy multiple of them from the shop. But before that...

Yoink.

Oh man, the shop changed the price of the Hammer chip. Why you may ask?

Bam. This chip got a sizable buff. Going from a meager 100 to a respectable 220. This is great, but it's a 10,000 a pop. For a total of 3 Hammers to buy, you're looking at 30,000 Zenny. SO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS.

[Pictured: Giver hard at work.]

GREEN MYSTERY DATA, I'VE COME TO BARGAIN!

Alternatively: Let's do the time warp again!.

We can actually meet Fishys in here that will drop what I like to call BestFriendAttack.

It only does 50 damage in here, but the cooldown is far lower than in BN2 and 3. Still, the HP of the viruses is pretty low, so 50 is just fine.

Get over here and give me a hug, says Megaman.EXE as he rams his face straight into a virus.

Why yes, I sat here to get 30,000, savescumming the GMDs for 1000 apiece to get all 3 Hammers. :v:

Was there ever any doubt?

And I bought one of these, because why not. Just one.

Bahahahahahahaha. ALL MINE. Just look at this folder, it's all "AAAAAAAAA"

Alright, so after the little fetch quest, if you press L, Lan says this line. This isn't a translation choice; it's part of the actual Battle Network 1 translation we got many years ago.

Is it really?

Huh. So it is.

So, who wants to see something cool?

Go to the Start Menu, and press Up, X, Left, Y, Right, A, Down, B. If you did it right, you'll hear a "ding". We then load up our game and see...

:buddy:

Do you really need this. You already have 3 Hammers, do you need to break this game over your knee even more.

:getin:

giver336 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 22, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Miss posted:

OH poo poo WHAT UP

Give Progs.

BlackPersona posted:

Yo, any Battle Network LP is welcome! And since it's OSS I'm super pumped to learn about MMBN1, since it's the one that I tried playing and can't get used to for the life of me. I'll be treating this as a learning experience.

with that said you're crazy for grinding up 30k zenny in what should be the first hour of gameplay

Well, the breakdown probably won't be as detailed as 3's, because of the lack of mechanics, plus there's no need since this isn't a "first-time" LP. That said, maybe I should bring back the postgame S-rank breakdowns.

Oh.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
I was going to do that, was simply pre-occupied for a bit. I need to add titles as well.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Added titles and a ToC. Update should come this weekend or Monday, about to send the next update over.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #3: Our Puns Are Just Straight Fire

Did you find a mouse?

Ratty viruses already?!

This was changed from hot cake in the original translation for OSS.

Um... OK.

...Sure? I don't really know why they had to change it to apple pie. Is this one of the translator localizations?

Nope, they changed this from the original JP script too. I'm confused, too.

Seriously? You cook and you don't have any way to stop cooking fires? The gently caress? Where is your baking soda!? Your fire extinguisher!? Why are you so useless!? :argh:

Yes. Your kitchen should always include a fire extinguisher, or at the very least some way to stop a fire.

GEE.

No way! He seemed so trustworthy!

And the mother raises no objections about us getting closer to the fire of course.

First dungeon in the series. But, in terms of a Hero's Journey, this one is more incidental, so it isn't playing the title theme. That brings up another point of contention: the music. Instead of re-composing, they just sampled the original tracks. This is the original boss theme, and here is OSS's. I will say that it seems like the second video seems to exaggerate the echo effect, but it really does sound different.

Man. I really hate what they did to the music, huh. Especially those rising and falling keyboard slides in the remake. What the hell is that. Ugh. Bleugh. Thanks, I hate it. While the game has several Quality of Life improvements, this is inexcusable.

: WHO ARE WE? WE'RE THE OVEN CONTROL PROGRAMS! NO, WE'RE NOT VIRUSES!

OK, that's funny.

See, if the Progs were the ones telling the jokes from the Humor program, I'd laugh :colbert:

And he tells us to get the IceBlock. Same as usual. Thawing network in an oven, yadda yadd- wait what.

Yet another one of these. I won't object since it's the first dungeon and players may not have picked up Shotgun * from the non-fixed datas. Also, every mystery data in a dungeon is fixed.

Keep in mind that the asterisk code didn't show up in original game. This is much less useful in the original game.

You actually don't run into viruses before this little moment. On that note, the development team made encounters a little less frequent in this re-release. Most of you will love that addition for sure.

Er, it's a little weird that the WWW leaves behind a data signature that could be identified. But I suppose Wily's egomania is showing through.

Gotta sign your code, man. Otherwise how else will people learn to fear the name of WWW?

Iconic!

It's just a single Mettaur. Yep. Tough WWW virus.

B O I

oh gently caress whaddup, it's the most dangerous encounter in the game.

So, I get into another fight with GutsMan *, but there's a small change I want to show.

GutsMan's attack stops at the last virus it kills, and damage is now dealt immediately when you use it, and not after the chip finishes like in the original.

Oh nice! It's... a weird thing to change, but it speeds things up a little bit.

Poor Progs. :(

While I agree, you have the weirdest fondness for that emote.

Quick, someone console MissEchelon!

LOOK AT HOW USELESS THEY ARE. SEND HELP

PROG DOWN! I REPEAT, PROG DOWN!

A purple data...with no Unlockers required, and 400 Zenny

Sigh

Nope, there are no SubChips in this game.

For a second, I forgot what game this was, and was incredibly confused when you got 400 Zenny from locked data.

Yoink.

Dead Prog: 1

Eyyy. That signifies another round of chips that had their codes changed.

MiniBomb(BN1): C E J L P
MiniBomb(OSS): C E J L *
PanelOut1(BN1): B D G L S
PanelOut1(OSS): B G L S *
Recov30(BN1): A C E G L
Recov30(OSS): B C D L *
AreaGrab(BN1): A E L P S
AreaGrab(OSS): A E L S *
Invis(BN1): I J L O Q
Invis(OSS): I J L Q *

Notably, AreaGrab now expires after 3 turns.

That * code really makes Invis incredible in every folder, doesn't it.

General rule of thumb is that they dropped the most useless code and replaced it with the asterisk instead.

Helpfully, the thawing network for the Iceblock has a green tint.

It's green for good! And green for Prog!

You know, that fire that blocked us earlier.

Different from later games:

MegaMan got:
"IceBlock"!!

Let's go!

Yeah! I can't wait to go put out some electrical fires in the network and then put out real fires in real life. Because that's just how things work here in Battle Network.

Noob.

Fuckin' owned.

DO SOMETHING

Motherfucker just taunts us. Mr. Match was a straight-up rear end in a top hat.

Stone-cold. Or maybe that's not particularly appropriate, given the circumstances? Regardless, without Megaman, all of Lan's chances just went up in smoke.

We almost let that slip by us if not for his evil grin.

No! It couldn't have been the slightly-ominous repair guy who was just here to fix the control panel! When could he have possibly slipped in a virus?

I think the implication is that he locked the doors, somehow.

Yeah, this. For some reason, the door is locked, and I initially called bullshit. But I suppose the lock program is implictly tied into whatever FireMan is doing.

I assume it's more along the lines of 'FireMan is controlling the panel and not letting anything in or out' which is what's keeping the oven on fire and the doors locked. It doesn't, however, explain why they can't just leave out the back.

Wat.

But it's a toy water gun. :psyduck:

War isn't a game, Giver!

I missed a screenshot, but yeah, Lan shoots the flames with the watergun. We put out an electrical fire (it's connected to the Internet, so I assume electrical) with water.

This doesn't cause anymore issues and somehow helps out MegaMan. Yes.

For those of you at home, never use water to put out a fire on the stove. Use baking soda or a fire extinguisher. And I'm just refusing to consider the implications of what Lan just did. It's... just how this world works, I guess.

Puzzle time.

This is gonna be a hard one!

No changes here. Just budget your iceblock usage across 2 areas.

Pathetic.

Money's money... But yeah, this is chump change. Which makes it perfect for you, Giver.

So just go all the way over to the left side.

DJ Khaled: And anotha one.

A green gives 500 Zenny, while a Blue gave 200. Why do you guys bother with mystery data colors in this game? Why didn't the developers change this to be more consistent with the rest of the series? Seriously.

It just feels weird to have Blues be equal to Green, since BN2 was my first Battle Network game.

So, this purple gives us a strong chip for this area. Which, is what I thought they were going with for the purple, blue and green. But the last purple data gave 400 Zennys in the last area, so :shrug:

It's not bad despite nothing matching its letter. Hits hard and can kill anything we run into.

It's our first vertical attack aside from WideSword, and this one can hit at range. And like Giver said, it's powerful for this early in the game, so why not put it in? Especially now that * chips exist.

Dead Prog: 2

Truly, the worst part of any combat is what happens to the innocents caught up in the fighting :(

After running around for a bit, I found this virus. It's pretty uncommon to find it in this area. EPM already talked about this one, I'm pretty sure, so just remember that it avoids your row until it attacks and then opens up a homing flame that turns once.

You don't have enough time to fire cannons and things like that, so a bit of a slow fight. Still, got the chip.

FireTower(BN1): E F L M T
FireTower(OSS): E F M T *

If I spent enough time, I could get an 8, and therefore have a shot at the * code. I won't do that yet, though.

I chuck this badboy in. Look at all those copies of stuff I have already.

That's what you get for grinding those GMDs for the Hammers. And yeah, FireTower is really, really good.

An rear end in a top hat.

And an rear end in a top hat.

It's been said that FireMan did this lots and lots of times, killing Navis left right and center who went to stop him. I wonder what his kill count is.

You think your lovely AI can beat me and UselessYeti over here?

Careful, Giver, if your ego gets any bigger someone might mistake it for a tumor.

...sez

...sez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGerojxAFmQ

EZ.

You'll note the lack of 120 HP. This fight was recorded on a different save when I was testing something for the translators.

Also, you'll finally hear some of the voiceclips. inb4 Yeti snark.

Oh wow it's almost as irritating as reading your -

You utter prick.

Only 300 HP and 10/15 damage. Duh.

So, Match was just sent to random ovens to find a random program? Talk about a needle in a haystack situation.

Yeah, I still don't know why the FireProgram was in Lan's oven. :v:

Why was the FireProgram in any oven at all?! Why wasn't it guarded at all?!

Dumb poo poo.

Villainy 105: The Art of the Monologue.

Good. Kill this dumb world.

I agree, angry pantsless duck. Why couldn't FireMan have at least set up some sort of firebomb before he left?

Get Baking Soda.

This game does human moments better than story logic. It should stick with that.

On the other hand, MMBN Story Logic delivered in the next game with Whiskey Guy so I think we can forgive a few minor flaws.

Don't worry, Lan. Not a lot of people understand it either!

Seriously, we needed a flowchart to figure some of this plot stuff out.

I like how they're saying this in front of their mother who isn't objecting to the notion of her son playing hero.

Leaving this in just to trigger Yeti.

I'm not triggered, just very, very disappointed.

Order pizza. gently caress. Now I want pizza. Brb.

Yeah because it's BUSTED.

<:mad:>

So, before you sleep, you can go outside and get some early items.

And most of them are pretty useful. Well, some of them.

gently caress that. I'M HUNGRY. Our oven is DEAD.

Feed me. This is hinting at something you should do later, which I think most of you remember. If not, you'll see it again.

(In an extremely nature documentary voice:) The wild Lan hunts for food, desperately intruding on anyone it can find in hopes that one of them will be generous enough to share. Unfortunately, it will be disappointed, and go to bed hungry tonight.

We must scourge for items, and find rare viruses!

So this comp actually leads to the Net. And we'll reopen that connection later. Fair tip: mystery datas also respawn in this game when you leave an HP like this, not only by jacking out.

Opening up connections is always useful, but not as much as in the other games. At least, for right now. We can do some ridiculous things with other peoples' comps later on.

Spookys in here. They drop Recov10 L instead of Recov10 G.

EZ.

Spookys are pretty easy, especially if you put that LilBomb in your folder.

We'll need this for a main quest in a bit.

Optional, but still kinda useful...ish. Mayl's HP doesn't help you progress in the game like Dex's.

First time you can meet Powies.

This lets us replace Minibombs, since Quakes deal a whopping 90 damage. And no, Quakes don't break in this re-release.

Sigh.

Which is weird, since they're a huge weight plunging down onto the enemy. It makes more sense for them to break things. Just another mark on the 'Why didn't they change this?' board, I guess.

Jack in to the ol' MegaMan Legends bot.

RIP MegaMan Legends 3, you were too good for this world.

Ah, it looks like the translators changed the way it was written to reflect Battle Network 5 and beyond.

Got another one, but in I code. You'll need 3 of these to complete a trade. I actually didn't grind for that trade...yet.

"Piss off you little monster."

Imagine if toys could talk. That'd be weird... Eh, the idea probably wouldn't go anywhere.

Yeah, if someone tried to make something that idea, I bet it would suck.

We're gonna head to Dex's now and th- OOH CARS.

Time to raid Dex's fridge, see if he's got any food for us.

Oh hey, a Gamecube. That takes me back.

You'll want to keep this, I guess. It has a Program Advance later. Yes, I'll be making the Encyclopedia this time. Ugh.

: DON'T SIT TOO CLOSE TO THE TV! WHEN PLAYING FOR A LONG TIME, BE SURE TO REST FOR AN HOUR!

No-one does this, go away Mister Prog.

Mister Prog is giving you good, helpful advice, you'd better listen to him.

There are Mettaur2's in here and if you get an average rank, you'll have a higher chance for scoring a Guard G, as opposed to Guard A from Mettaur 1. This is useful for a G-coded Program Advance, so maybe you'll want to acquire it.

Dex's house isn't really meant to be challenged until after the next scenario, if I'm being honest. That being said, this is a game for kids, so it's easy enough.

Yeesh. That Canodumb2 is uncommon in this area, not to mention the virus formation is something you'd have trouble with, unless you're packed full of Spreaders from the chip shop.

Nice. I'm not gonna put this in, actually. It's 80 damage, but I don't feel like getting multiple of these to make it worthwhile.

I will put in this, since it's A code and I'm already rocking Quakes anyway.

Spooky2 already!? Dang.

Another reason to believe that you shouldn't be here this early. Spooky2 has the most health out of any regular virus we've encountered. Hammer will still ruin its day, though.

Instead of Recov50 G, they drop Recov50 L and Recov80 L instead of Recov80 A.

But I want that A code. :(

Mine.

Longer period of time where you can't get hit is always better.

I made sure to get multiple Sonicwaves. That's 5 chips that deal damage down an entire row and hits for 80. Ouch.

You'll note that they reuse this map for Battle Network 2.

I mean, not everyone reformats their hard drive every few days. Or, would this be more along the lines of redoing their homepage?

Get this, you'll need it later.

The first 3 codes (ABC) are some of the better codes in the game. This is most likely not a coincidence.

This is in contrast to later games, where they basically throw S code at you.

GIMME YOUR poo poo YAI

You'll need this for a trade later on, so keep it.

GASP. STALKING PROGS.

The HORROR. These pure Progs, subjected to whatever inanities Yai chatters about on the phone!

Yai, you're being cheap.

Also, reminder that dungeons and comps have fixed, one-time rewards.

She's still rewarded you more than the entire Oven, though.

Found you, Swordy. Now gimme your chip.

There's no LifeSword PA in this game, unfortunately. It's called B-Sword and S-Sword instead. They just use Sword, WideSword, and LongSword separately while MegaMan stays invincible.

On the plus side, LongSword got a buff. It now deals 100 damage, aligning itself with its BN6 counterpart.

LongSword being 100 damage is really useful in getting double-deletes.

Bought 1 HP Memory and 2 PowerUps. We're really decking ourselves out early on.

I dumped my PowerUps all into Attack. My upgrade path is Attack-->Charge-->Rapid.

Since you can rapid-fire as fast as you press the button when up close, you can fire as often as you move, and honestly you shouldn't really need the buster all things considered, Rapid is only useful for dumping extra PowerUps.

I think that's enough for this update. Don't worry, the massive grind will begin soon.

giver336 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 24, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

SSNeoman posted:

Memory serves you can now charge the buster without having to invest any points into Charge, which is nice

Debunked. Just tried to do it on a fresh save. Even waited until after the tutorial.

BlackPersona posted:

The boss music from BN1 is really solid, actually, I'm impressed. Definitely sounds better than the OSS one.

That reminds me, though, in Double Team DS you could put in the GBA carts of any BN game to change the battle themes, is there something similar to OSS?

Unfortunately no.

Idea: Slot-in BN1 cartridge to change chip values to their old ways. :v:

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
As far as I can tell, they only added one encounter. ClockMan in Undernet 9 at the cost of removing one of the two only Spooky3 fights.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
On note of the postgame, even Taurus Fire IF's 3200 HP only took 17 cards out of me. And I didn't use Wave Command Codes until seeking 10-second S-ranks. It helps to keep your folder constantly updated Or have 2 Sticky Rains in your deck.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #4: 01101000 01110101 01101000

Today we're gonna cram in NumberMan's entire scenario. Bring your notes and pay attention.

I sure am beat after all that virus busting...not.

Man, what a difficult dungeon that Oven was.

Ah Christ. Not a clopper.

Every villain in the game is actually secretly a centaur.

It's weird seeing Higsby be evil given future game context.

I feel like this game's villains are just 'What would be a kid's worst fear?'. A problem at home, an evil teacher, suffocating in a blackout...

Lan is running to school, meaning no FireMan V2 for us to fight yet. I forgot about that little detail. :(

We're thrust straight into this scenario after going to bed. There's not even the usual 'run around for a bit and head to the next Plot Zone when it's convenient' break.

No. You are an email reader and virus buster. NOW READ THEM.

Reading is important.

This is so non-specific, it indicates the original translation was strained to convey the same idea. Either it could mean students are causing NetCrime, or that there is increased NetCrime against students. This game actually means both, lucky for it.

Oh no, now we owe Yai. No, Yai! Take Yeti!

I'm torn. On one hand, the horrible forehead gremlin. On the other, I wouldn't have to put up with you.

Lan Hikari in later games would be more grateful. Wonder if they didn't really have a traditional friendship in this game.

They're still feeling out the personalities. Lan was kind of a little poo poo in the early writing, huh.

SCORE.

Recov50 (BN1): A C E G L
Recov50 (OSS): C L M S *

In the original game it was Recov50 G.

This Repair is unfortunately the same.

Repair(BN1): A G H K S
Repair(OSS): A G H S *

What, you guys didn't rename it to PanelReturn? :v:

No, I want to beat them up.

Grab this. You'll need it for a trade.

Giver doesn't mention it, but this is all stuff on the first floor of the school.

You know, this really could have been an asterisk code, game. In fact, PanelOut1 * exists in the game, but doesn't appear to drop anywhere. That's...stupid.

Correction: It's available in the Star Coliseum for 20 points. Sure, why not.

Alright, whatever. On with the plot.

Lan uses his amazing Solid Snake skills to sneak to the front of the class without being noticed. Fuckup Tally: Nope, I changed my mind.

...How do you sneak to the front of the class without getting caught? And how would Yai calling his name mean that Miss Mari would think he's in class? I get the feeling this teacher isn't very good at her job.

Substitute teachers are usually awesome. Quick, everyone be lazy!

Student teacher over substitute, I think. In other words, Mari will still be around, but drinking beer getting caught up on paperwork or grading.

?

About as socially competent, too

Goons.png

About as socially competent, too

Leaving this in so you can see MegaMan blinking. Why not.

: Man, gently caress THIS poo poo. We don't get our hot teacher no mo'.

So after a round of "talk to everyone"... Nothing particularly interesting.

Higsby now resumes the class.

Odd that Higsby had to only knock out Ms.Mari. Not other teachers, nurses, security guards...you know, the entire school staff?

I'm assuming the security guard wouldn't interfere with the teacher heading out to the A/V room, and other teachers are probably busy teaching their own class of. 9. students.

Hisby + Math = poo poo Class,huh

Holy crap, I forgot he had his own jack-in animation. :psyduck:

I wonder if he just poses like that for fun, or if jacking in actually requires a weird stance to work. Maybe it's the lack of reception.

What's going on, huh.

Yeti, what's wrong, huh.

Oh no, it's Ajit Pai.

Lemme just grab an oversized novelty mug, huh.

Welp, Yeti's doing the ticks, too.

And they're brainwashing kids. Ajit Pai has become a politician. Save yourselves!

...and all other Nets. drat, BN1 you really were rough.

But specifically the military Net. The others are nice bonuses.

To reach our goals, the WWW is hiring new staff members! We will begin a new instruction program, starting today!

Hmmm....

"Wily is good. Everyone else, bad." Excellent program.

Oh, the WWW is short for Wah-Wah-Wario. Greed is good.

drat. What's in that broadcast? ...huh

It's actually just the trigger to the Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History.

Of course.

You'd think you'd want to use a key program, but I guess locking up the electronic lock unlocks the door. Huh.

Yeah, seeing ERROR all the time would do anyone in.

I would have appreciated better flavor text explaining this. We don't even get Capcom Science for this one.

I like the implication that it's not forcing them to watch or anything, it's just playing and the kids watch because why wouldn't you watch a TV. That poo poo was the best when the teacher wheeled in a TV cart at the start of class.

: Dex is in da house about to wreck poo poo.

: Sit yo' midget rear end down and watch how a straight-up gangsta does this.

Yeah, GangstaDex, you save the day. You be the hero of this story.

: I saw this poo poo in a Kung-Fu flick. Slot dat poo poo in at a 55 degree angle and watch dem bitches be DE-LE-TED.

: Motherfuckin' cheatin' rear end viruses.

Clearly this is Lan sabotaging Dex out of cruel jealousy, since nothing else could stop the true hero of this story.

: :cry: Maaaaaaaan. :cry:

And at this point, Dex being humbled lets him be better friends with Lan, though they really weren't before this.

So the thing that's mentioned and isn't really addressed aside from a few things: other NetNavis can have backups for when they're deleted. It's a Game Over when Megaman is deleted (aside from anything taking place in the real world, like fights against NPC Navis) because he can't be backed up.

Do note how relucant Lan is. He even lets Dex do the work without helping. There is something resembling Lan's development throughout the series, even if it isn't much.

Free Roll chip.

I mean I'm not going to say no... But how do Navi chips even work. Do we just summon a copy of them? Actually call for help?

And they finally play the Title Theme here. This is our call-to-action, folks.

It's neat that the structure of this area resembles the school itself. The later games kinda gave up on that sort of thing.

Too bad I farmed you guys way earlier. There are also Mettaurs, Spookys, Canodumb1s and a new virus. But that new one's farther in the dungeon.

You shouldn't have an issue with the enemies here, though the Beetanks might be a little annoying if you're bad at timing Quake throws.

Only way to get this code.

Go around and head back to Area 1. Luckily it's pretty easy to follow if you just observe the maps.

The other thing is, this is really dungeon number one. The Oven didn't really count, since it was two screens. As such, this place is mostly linear without too many forks in the road.

Answer is amount of chairs in the current classroom: 09

I'm still concerned about why there are only 9 kids per class. Maybe ACDC isn't very big and we're seeing the entire town instead of just the relevant cross-section on the overworld.

Before leaving, I pick up this and round up the area.

Higsby, a goon, is making everyone else like him. Man, this is truly something awful.

Just go for the low-hanging fruit, why don't you.

Noobs.

An NPC tried to be useful, don't insult them.

Class 5-A and 5-B lead to the same comp. You know, Battle Network 1 really does try to use its setting. Something the other games don't.

If you bothered to grind a little, you could now stick in a few Invis I, 4x Spreader I and now this. Honestly, Spreader is great for NumberMan this early.

MissEchelon. Draw me Progs.

I actually saw someone in a Discord channel with an avatar based on one of her Progs.

30. I suppose it's fair they would lock the Library. Gotta preserve knowledge and all that.

This one is easy. We just guess. Less a puzzle and more trial-and-error.

Easiest method is to just choose the middle number, watch the prompt to see how close/far away you are, then half that again. Since our first digit is too high, pick a number about midway between 0-5, so 30. Check the prompt, rinse and repeat.

For those of you in the audience that know sorts and searches, this is basically just the binary search. There's a reason it's one of the most efficient sorts. If you halve the number of options available each time, you only need 7 chances to guarantee success.

I don't think they gave you any more chances in OSS. It's still roughly 6 attempts.

by going up and to the right...

Meaning that gap you see is still unnatural.

Boo.

Scenario 2: Still awful rewards, huh.

:rolldice:

Unrelated, but my answer to this door when playing along in the original was 69.

Don't take the path up there. Instead, go down.

Yoink.

School Comp 3 relates to the first floor, so we can jack in there.

Yes, the main entrance door counts as one.

See those tiny squares? That's a warp point. Stark contrast to later games.

They did get better about signposting where jacking in will make you wind up. Though most of the time you went through a separate comp first before entering the Net proper.

It's like the game is telling you what's effective against the boss.

No, leave me alone.

Don't be mean to the Progs.

I'M SORRY MR.PROG. I DIDN'T LISTEN.

THIS IS WHAT YOU GET.

MegaMan says to check the AV room. There's a lot of real-world interaction this scenario. I kinda like it.

It's a good way to get the player to explore the school, since before this we've only ever been in class 5-B.

The implication is that NumberMan laid these traps...which you can see in his advanced moveset later. More bosses need to mess with the player as they go through a dungeon, honestly.

Pictured: Forshadowing for the LP curse, forcing me to redo progress from hours back.

Just gotta reboot the PC since something was eating up all of the memory. I hate when that happens.

Early game A code superiority!

Handis can first appear in Area 4, so farm up. If you're a bit experienced, you should be able to envision a way to get an S-rank with the hand I currently have. Don't move down until you see it.

It's not that hard, honestly. You have 5 chips to choose from, and Giver's already told you how the ranking system works.

Got it?

Unfortunately, the viruses take forever to move into position. Dammit. :arghfist: :(

Be honest, did you figure it out or just roll your eyes at Giver's dickwaving?

Yeti, no one wants to be like you.

Eat poo poo. Tossing a LilBomb(80) to kill the Handi.

And there's my Double Delete.

It does 70 damage to the whole field, but only applies damage one row at a time, so it's not as useful for S-ranks as you might think.

In this game, 'whole field' attacks are weird in that they attack in waves, one row at a time. Precise dodging means you can avoid a theoretically unavoidable attack. They fixed that oversight in the next game.

Your first Program Advance (if you didn't grind)!

Teacher's Lounge needs a Teacher ID. Where's Ms. Mari?

Hm, you know, something seems amiss... I just can't put my finger on it.

THERE we go. That's what it was. Yep.

Oh. I thought it was the fact that they have their gym equipment in a random closet in the school.

Alright, back to grinding. We can clearly see that TimeBombs aren't as useful as their later-series counterparts. I wonder why the development team didn't update th- OH FINE.

As much as I'm grateful for some of the little changes the dev team made, a lot of this is just a lazy re-release of the first game on newer hardware. It's a shame.

Do I auto-pass this grade? Well, DO I!?

Too late, you forgot to get her to promise before untying her. Now that she's free, you have no more leverage. Also why would she just give Lan her ID card?

Alright, time to enter the final door.

I think all kids should aspire to be WWW slaves. Why not? Think of the benefits!

Free maniacal laughter classes, for one. Also a sweet paycheck.

Um, Higsby. With a war being caused, and civilizations being destroyed, there will be less BattleChips in the long-term.

NumberMan is actually more evil than Higsby. Higsby expresses remorse and NumberMan kinda course-corrects him in between this shot and the next.

Numbers are made up and evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UyTdPcSbuk

Now is where you see my grinded chips come into play. S-ranks baby.

Rare chip collecter vs. 11 year old boy. Get hosed, huh.

No, gently caress him. Gloat like Giver. Hahahahaha, YOU SUCK HIGSBY. All those rare chips and you couldn't touch me. Quit life. Die in a hole. Idiot.

Please stop bullying the idiot who will sell us valuable chips in the future.

drat right. :colbert:

Well you're not wrong.

I, for one, support good grinding habits.

They really toned down his weird speech tics in the later games, which I'm glad. The snorting is kinda weird.

Replace "Trade chips sometime?" with "Go out with me?" and it's as creepy as it reads.

Uhhh, he should get years in jail for all the schools he's affected. Hell, all the kids going out and kicking puppies are on him!

"No really, he's chill, he gave me this super-rare Mega chip."

That statue in the corner is the Battle Network 3 one. :ssh:

: Shut up! I said, SHUT UP!

Where did they come from? Did they do anything, or are they just here to make witty banter?

Had to leave this line in. You don't see them compliment each other much.

Wait, what!? We don't get the rest of the day off to cope with the stress that just happened? This is BULLSHIT.

Let's be real though, there was pretty much no stress involved in dealing with this idiot.

Restart the announcement program.

"Good job, you freed the school and saved all of us from a life of brainwashed crime. Here's your homework, due Wednesday."

giver336 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 1, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Cirosan posted:

Oh hey, an LP of the translation already? You two are quick on the draw. Think I can lend you a hand, though.

I made a patch to disable the voice acting in the game. It requires the translation patch already be applied, but you've already taken care of that. Should be compatible with existing save games. Shout at me if I missed any of the voicework.

Thanks. Will probably add it to the OP. I'll play with voices on just so I can get the 'proper' experience.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #5: Giver is a Hammer Bro

The class day was so long, it took us a week to finish it.

Sometimes the time flies, other times it feels like someone put a gun to the head of a clock and said "You'd better slow the gently caress down".

I guess Dad drives to work, because if the MetroLine is opening today, then Dad had to get to work somehow. We never see Dad driving or otherwise using a car, though.

I like to imagine he just has a teleporter for private use.

"Pretty good"? B O I

This NPC is really stupid.

Well, that's just par for the course. Competency is the exception, otherwise Lan would be doing a lot less work.

But in order to tell us, she wants 3 Invis I for a lovely Shotgun K. In the original game you can get Shotgun K in a few different places, so this is laughable. What a crap trade.

...Yes, I'll complete once I've grinded some.

Again, par for the course... At least in later games the NPCs only ask for one-to-one trades, because 3 Invis1 I take a lot longer to grab. Though they are renewable.

I'll take it. That's a virus drop, so it's basically infinite.

Repair(BN1): A G H K S
Repair(OSS): A G H S *

Leave me alone. We shouldn't get homework after the day we had. PLEASE.

Nah, the WWW's video reminded kids how important doing daily tasks is. Do your homework, take over the world, eat your veggies. Y'know, routine things.

Fun fact: Dr.Hikari(Tadashi, not Yuichiro) was 45 years old!

45 is ancient! At least, to kids this age.

We finally get to see this map. Too bad it was removed in later games. We can simply jack into the car over there...

Twistys and Mettaur2s are in here. It's hard to find this virus anywhere else, but that just could be my faulty memory.

A-codeeeeee

Remobit(BN1): A C F N O
Remobit(OSS): A C N O *

A code superiority. At least until later, when B code takes over.

No, Twisty doesn't drop his chip in asterisk.

The chip summons an object that calls another enemy instance that slowly destroys the enemy panels, in execution. The chip isn't terrible? Too bad nothing in this game truly takes advantage of it. Not to mention the object you put down can be destroyed easily.

I think they were just trying things without really thinking about how they'd interact with the environment. Which I can admire, at least they tried something instead of just rebooting the MegaMan franchise.

Score.

This is the first time this trader NPC is available. It's not a big deal if you don't have this now, you can find them easily in the next Net area.

:wth: GIVE THIS RIGHT NOW

That's 100 damage down an entire row. S-RANKS BABY

It's also REALLY REALLY FAST because DynaWave is from a Level 3 virus. Seriously, the Level 2 enemies are still optional.

So if you remember, StoneMan is obstructing our progress, but we need to talk to this man to continue the plot.

I always forget that StoneMan is this early in the game. Probably because the NumberMan scenario comes and goes almost immediately.

And Dex's poo poo is blocking us from going to other web pages. gently caress off, Dex. I don't want to register an account to download links.

Just use a fake email account every time you need to download something. There are generators.

Well, I got it 2 updates ago in preparation. You need to give one up to even fight him, mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pkpMAvvPw0

1: Choose Hammer
2: Press A
3: Win

4: ???

wait i think we got the order wrong

You don't deal damage, Dex. No wonder you can't win.

Dex, you have to hit MegaMan in order to win.

Fate says you will always suck as a boss.

Too bad we inputted a super secret code for the asterisk variant.

: Piece of poo poo cheatin' rear end.

At least Dex is an honorable loser. I imagine that there are no shortage of people in this world that would just flip you off and walk away.

Time to fight FireManV2. There will be quite a few videos in this update.

Finding Navi Ghosts is always worthwhile since now they start wandering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KwTM2tctXc

Hammer(BN1): A F I M Q
Hammer(OSS): A F I M *

Yes, there's a Hammer asterisk. No, it doesn't drop anywhere. To the Chip trader! ...Eventually.

FireMan's V1 chip got an extra 10 points in damage. It now deals 110. Um, sure?

A... weird choice.

Getting one.

Moving onto Internet 2. New viruses, new rewards. Let's do our usual analysis.

GREEN MYSTERY DATA, I'VE COME TO BARGAIN!

Not a bad step up from 1000 Zenny.

Well, there's your free Program Advance.

I'd like to point out that whenever I do this, it's always the non-fixed rewards. You'll know the difference between regular Internet fixed(meaning one time) and non-fixed rewards when I actually get to a fixed one. So far we've only seen fixed rewards from dungeons.

Right now, the GMD Zenny rewards are a little more valuable than the chips, though hopefully that'll change.

Swordys here. Free S-rank. FREEBIE. Also, Jesus, that loving map.

It looks absolutely horrible. But, at the very least, I'm glad it exists.

And wow, already throwing Swordy2s at us, huh.

This game does not do gradual escalation very well.

FireSword now deals 120 damage instead of 100. I'll take it.

Internet 2 leads to both Internet Areas 3 and 4. Miyu's leads to Internet Area 4, so we'll need to come back later.

Mineys and VolGears, too. Yeah, definitely make sure you pick up a FireTower F for that DynaWave. It's worth it.

Or this, instead. :psyduck: drat. I just love these new drops.

Remember, they made the best chip reward drop starting at Level 8 instead of 9. So I just got really lucky.

Playing through the original game is reminding me exactly how nice the asterisk code is, and how much I wish it existed.

Ah, hardheads. Despite their inclusion, there's nothing that can actually break their shields, so. You just gotta wait and use a strong chip. It's not really possible for me to S-rank these currently without some really lucky setups.

The translators localized the name from Howitzer to CannonBall for later-game consistency.

....Holy poo poo.

It got a sizable buff, from 150 to 200. Man, this thing hits really hard on stationary bosses like NumberMan and StoneMan. Christ.

"Hey here's all this awesome ranged stuff, make sure it's good and in your folder" says the game with a knowing wink.

:tviv:

Mine1(BN1): G H M N P
Mine1(OSS): G H M N *

God drat. You know what? Keep up with these chip buffs and I'll defend you from all the haters, game.

For all the laziness of this port, they did make a few nice changes. Increasing power is one of them.

It's time for GOKGOK. The enemy of YOPYOP

YOPYOP rides again

That's a riveting language you got there. What're the grammar rules?

Clearly it's a tonal language.

Gokgokgok!

(Part of him looks like a stapler. SSSSH)

And just like that, we're done with the StoneMan 'scenario'. We're just blowing through them thanks to not needing to explore too much, and the plot really isn't the focus here, but these things were short even before that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmjX4MUl9F8

StoneMan doesn't flinch unless you deal 100 or more damage in a single blow. So pile on your throwing chips. Hell, you get CannonBall in the same area which does 1/3 of his total HP.

MegaMan proceeds to PEW-PEW the rocks.

I'm not sure how destroying virtual rocks eliminates a real landslide, unless the time it took to destroy StoneMan meant that the tracks were cleared.

I fought so many viruses that I bought this afterwards. We're now at 280 max HP.

Oh, this dude. I forgot.

In the original game, this was Recov80 G. Another change. Prof, mark it down.

Recov80(BN1): A C E G L
Recov80(OSS): C E L N *

Do good deeds for the elderly, get rewarded. And they say video games don't teach kids anything.

We're so close to busting this game even more open. :getin:

Your eyes are closed, shut up.

Well that's why she's asking, Giver.

Gimme your access links! :argh:

But we're only 10.

I used to like Sal as a character, but gods drat if her BN4 counterpart hasn't destroyed any fondness I felt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAuOu78xkpY

Not even using any fire chips, and do you know why?

Hammer is busted, is what we're saying here.

Also, OSS introduced a new glitch with this boss. Take a look at this:

The developers created a new glitch, but did not fix it. Luckily, the translators did. Lazy developer fucks. 'Don't worry about fixing it! It'll be fine'!

Ahahahahahaha.

This is basically everything we need to snap the game in half.

Before that...let's check out some hidden viruses.

loving Poppers. The problem with these things is that they only come down one at a time when they're more than one of them. This means it's impossible to get an S-rank in such cases. I'm glad the S-rank drop happens more frequently at lower levels, but I think they should have addressed cases like these. Keep in mind that Poppers are invincible when they're in the air.

One of the worst viruses right here. They are actively refusing to engage with the game mechanics :argh:

Oh, this just won't do.

MUCH better.

WoodTower(BN1): B C H K N
WoodTower(OSS): B C K N *

Ohhhhh boy. FireTower and WoodTower :getin:

Poitton's. These things are strong since their attacks are quite deadly. They actually count as Wood-elemental, and guess what I just drew.

Score. I'll be back for the s-rank reward, eventually.

Cloudy2. And we haven't even seen the first one yet. What you're seeing now is a small taste of what we're about to do.

The Lunch Stand Comp is really something I always avoided as a kid, mainly because I was bad at video games back then and routinely got my rear end handed to me.

Cloudier(BN1): A D I M P
Cloudier(OSS): A I M P *

MedCloud has been considerably buffed from the original game. (And localized from Cloudier to BN2's MedCloud).

Instead of doing 50, it does 80. Since it multihits, it has enough time for up to 240 damage if it hits something in the middle square.

Another nice boost. I wonder why they made all these changes.

Just for her HP when we find it.

Recov120(BN1): A C E G L
Recov120(OSS): F H L R *

This is almost half of your HP total right now.

Back to Internet Area 2, we can go to Internet Area 3 with Sal's links.

And that's it for this update. It's shorter than my usual, but that's our next one will be pretty long. ...I think you all know what's coming.

We're gonna go exploring. And by exploring, I mean severe sequence-breaking.

-------------------

I broke it.

god drat it do you have to break everything you touch

giver336 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 11, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Solumin posted:

I love a good sequence break. :allears:

I don't remember the other MMBN games giving you this much power this early on. The bosses are just melting!

I kinda would have liked the boss's HP to be tweaked a bit to compensate for the power increase. Just so I have something of a punching bag.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Captain Fargle posted:

Pretty sure this is a joke where the kid thinks the book is talking about Yuichiro when it's actually talking about Tadashi. (Lan's grandfather, for those who aren't familiar.)

Yuichiro Hikari invented the modern-day PET. Tadashi Hikari invented the Internet.

And later Lan Hikari will invent a precursor to the BrotherBand system. :derp

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
gently caress this game.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

SirSystemError posted:

This also inspired me to check out the BN3 LP in the archive since you mentioned it, because my experience with it back in the day was beating DesertMan for my brother and never bothered past somewhere in the Bubbleman scenario when playing it like five years ago. Got to the parts in the LP where you've taken over, and it seems the games kicking you like that is like a running joke of its.

Enjoy. And when you get there:

Source.

Original:

Ahahahahahaha.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Let's get to the next page, shall we? I think we're only 2 off, or so and this next one is kinda big. Next update is about to be ready.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update 6: Giver's Playground

This will be a long update, people. But it's exactly what I'm known to do. There are only two ways to play Battle Network 1: Beat it in an hour, or go to the postgame areas the second you get /Sal. Guess which one we're doing?

We're going deeper :getin:

This is the first time we can meet Billys. They were honestly deadly in this game compared to, say, Battle Network 4 because their attacks still causes damage after you move for a bit. The developers did a small change: you gain a moment of flinch-time after you're shocked. This way you don't eat damage quite as fast.

Easy.

Thunder1(BN1): A E G H S
Thunder1(OSS) A G H S *

Even in the original game, A code superiority. The asterisk is just icing on the cake.

CrossBomb is a decent step-up from my LilBomb chips, but I'm not gonna be getting these here. Just you wait, people.

Looks like the main spot to find some Canodumb2's. I need all 5 codes to form a Program Advance, so I'll be back later.

And the mystery data says?

Only way to get this code. Also, that's a shop. You'll notice the filenames of the images are out of order. The reason for that is pacing.

See this is what you get for taking screenshots while you play.

Again, you'll need those last two chips for 2 Program Advances.

Program Advances are weird in this game. LifeSword is probably the most well-known, and here it's just two slashes of each sword.

This is a fixed reward. Taking this screen because I'll need Yeti to verify if they changed any of these drops since Battle Network 1. They obviously changed the non-fixed ones, so maybe they changed some more. Fixed rewards also mean one-time rewards. Don't forget.

Wow, this selection sucks. I don't even want the Hammer I. I'm going to flat-out leave this for much later. I have a very good reason to save my money anyway.

I do appreciate that they're letting you buy Hammer I immediately after Hammer A, when the A code is so much better.

I spy with my little eye a very suspicious :ghost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJ-vg50UHg

You can see in the video that there's glitched chip code text when you use it in a Program Advance. I've reported it to the translators, so hopefully it'll get fixed. If doesn't get fixed, I won't know what codes I'm using in a Program Advance! :eng99:

You grinded too hard and broke the game. Clearly this is just the game fighting back.

You can see that they nerfed GutsShoot. It now deals 400 instead of 500. Fair, that was warranted. This is also a good time to bring up that they changed the NaviChip limitations. Whereas before you could fit 5 of any NaviChip, and 10 total NaviChips, you are now restricted to 5 maximum NaviChips and only one of each NaviChip. So, no more loading your folder full of 5 StoneMan3 and going to town on viruses.

This is... a weird decision. Giver and I talked about it, and it's roughly akin to BN2's total chip limitation, combined with BN3-5's total Navi limitation. Strange. (It also means you can't break the game with a million GutsShoot, though you still get 3)

Undernet 5. ...Yep. We're that deep-in just from going past that area. This is the best part about Battle Network 1, honestly. Uncontested.

I like the freedom, but it's a lot less linear than the other games, that's for certain. I'm not certain that's a good thing in terms of design, to be entirely honest. It makes navigating past Internet 3 a pain. At least you have a map.

We can't go left. That's for waaaay farther in the story.

Thanks, HeelNavi, you're very believable.

Oh boy, strong viruses. We're already seeing the Level 2 versions of Twisty. Megalian's chip will be hard to acquire, as even if I'll get a high rank, I'll most likely get Zenny. Remember that you can score a double hit when they attack, since both their launched heads and body have hitboxes. that Dash chip in the image can do the same thing.

Fishy2 and Popper1. If you guys decide to come here, good luck! Fishy2 are easy anyway

Easy to get an S-rank, honestly. Even with these relatively crappy chips.

It helps that almost every chip you get in this area is going to be miles above what you currently have.

This chip got buffed considerably as well. It went from 100 to 180, localized by the translators to Burner, and it's code changed as well.

BodyBurn(BN1): E F K M N
BodyBurn(OSS): E F K M *

:supaburn: incarnate.

Gaia1's are stupid. While they're greyed out, they take only 1 damage from everything, until they reach the front row of their area. The only way to deal real damage is to wait until they're about to attack. When there are two of them, they don't open themselves up fast enough for an S-rank. So if you see a fight with two of them, just aim for Rank 10.

Sigh. I really don't like how some encounters can't be S-ranked in this game.

Another example of the game's mechanics not quite meshing together very well. They get better about this in the other games.

Another one for the Library.

Remobit2(BN1): B D E H I
Remobit2(OSS): B D E I *

Now you can have all 5 codes of Cannon for the Omega-level Program Advance.

Like in all games, the Program Advance part of the Library is the most annoying to fill out. At least once you finish off the library you usually have all the pieces you need.

Recov150(BN1): A C E G L
Recvo150(OSS): D K L M O

Wow they really changed these. Normally it's just replacing one of the codes with asterisk.

Moving on.

Fixed reward. Do your thing Yeti. This chip hasn't changed from the original game at all.

We're gonna trek all the way to the end. But this area marks the first time you'll have to abide by certain conditions to make it through. This one is simple: don't escape from any fights.

Are we cowards who would run from fights?! No! We are not!

Game, do you want to explain this bullshit?

This chip in particular is really rare. It's literally a 1/32 chance. :suicide:

This is a fixed reward. I'm willing to bet this wasn't updated either. drat you, developers!

I feel like they might have set up the fixed rewards first and then adjusted the random drops later to help with balance. Or maybe they just really want you to use the S-Sword Program Advance.

We haven't even found Satella1's yet. And look, polar bear.

Destroy it with fire.

loving great. Ratty2's in this area drop the same code as found in the datas. Boo.

However, Ratton2 did get a +10 increase in power. From 100 to 110. Yay?

At least the rewards are consistent?

Ammonicule2's. They can be kind of annoying? Basically when you pop their bubble, they'll move around and regenerate the bubble. At this level, that shield can take about 50 HP in punishment.

MINE. Not that I'm gonna use it anyway.

It's a useful chip for a cheap barrier, at least.

Why would you put weak trash like this in here? Why?

This is a place where you can't run if you want to progress, maybe they though they were being kind.

Jesus, these prices. M-Cannon L...again. Anyway, I get 2 AreaGrab A after grinding for 500 more Zenny. I really want the PowerUps, but chips come first.

More shops!

A fantastic chip I was able to score after I got the AreaGrabs. It does 15 a pop and once it locks onto an enemy, it hits over 10 times. If only the developers added Attack+10. :(

The best strategy - give a boost to multi-hit chips. Man, Silver Bullet was so busted in BN5.

Jumping straight to 9, this area wants us to win at least 10 chips in battle from enemies in this area. Ahahahahaha, you think that's supposed to challenge me? I've been getting S-ranks with trash chips. This'll be FUN.

At least the game knows how to reward you for having fun, I guess. First you 'have' to kill and kill and kill, and then you 'have' to get goodies?

Moles are probably the hardest thing to earn chips from in this area, given that if you don't hit them in a certain timeframe, they'll just run away.

Eat poo poo.

Alright, this is dangerous. Those Beetank3s do a whopping 140 damage, and hit your area in a 3x3. Yeah, I really shouldn't be here.

The Undernet is a dangerous place. At least it'll trivialize the next few story scenarios.

Like I care, though.

Canodumb3's. This formation is kinda cute. Keep in mind that in most cases, I'm using the buster and it takes me 2 turns to kill everything. So I'm not always getting high ranks. Though I still get Zenny, it isn't as if you need 10 consecutive chip drops, so I can stay in here as much as I like.

Since this game doesn't have the consistent HP through battles (you start with full HP every time) survival is success.

Like so. In fact, before I forget:

IceCube(BN1): A C I L M
IceCube(OSS): A C I M *

This is the only encounter in this area that contains a Spooky3. With that, coupled with my weak chips, it's a lot of RNG that I don't feel like dealing with.

I'll settle for this for now.

Why are you putting Level 1's in Undernet 9? Honestly.

:roflolmao: What's wrong? Gotta make easy encounters for the weak players to pass the requirement? Bitch please.

I'm fine with the Swordy encounter but this is just sad.

drat right. But let's check out the datas before we leave.

Now we're talking. Gimme that money.

:psyduck:

This is amazing :allears:

Oh, sweet Jesus. YES.Yet again, a 1/32 chance.

Fixed reward.

Fixed rew--- SWEET.

Hey, that's a lot of shinies. You can almost afford a third of a PowerUp.

All right, Undernet 10. This area's requirement is to stay out of virus battles. If you encounter more than 6, you failed and have to retry. Nooooo. Not my virus fights! :cry:

This is my favorite one, just for how mad it makes Giver :v:

Oh gently caress you, game.

There's 10/20/30 Zenny in this area. Why isn't there a fourth Zenny drop like all the others? Well...there's supposed to be, and it's supposed to be 5,000z. In BN1, it was originally 10,000, so the team nerfed this drop for some reason. As for why I can't get the 5,000z drop, well, just...wait.

Ahahaha. "You can't get in fights but you're still running around? Here, have :10bux:

Again with M-Cannon N?

Very nice.

Tri-Lance M is a drat good chip, too.

That's a chip I don't have yet. Noooo, I want to grind! PLEASE GAME.

Just get it on your first encounter. There, problem solved.

Stop. Please. :negative:

I can't help myself.

BARELY passed.

Not sure how RNG plays into Dexterity, but sure, whatever.

This isn't the non-fixed 5,000 Zenny reward I was talking about. This is a fixed one. Is it confusing? Sure, but please be patient. All in due time.

gently caress you, I'll do what I want.

Actually yes we do, there are good rewards here. Except the Zenny.

Twisty3's. Now we've seen the whole family.

Yoink.

Two-thirds of this family was met this update. The Undernet in this game is bonkers.

And just like that, a weight has fallen off my shoulders.

SnakeEgg1(BN1): B E G M N
SnakeEgg1(OSS): B E M N *

I'll get that asterisk later once I've gotten a better folder. Consistency and all that.

Snek.

There is only one of 2 encounters in the entire game to see Cloudy3. No way in hell am I fighting that RNG right now.

drat. Anaconda2 already? This encounter is kinda rare.

I got lucky.

SnakeEgg2(BN1): C E H N P
SnakeEgg2(OSS): C E N P *

Given that it's a rare, I'll be back for that asterisk, just like the first one.

Snak.

Popper2...

And it has 250 HP.

gently caress.

Yeaaaaah, I'm gonna come back for this one, too.

Yeah no thanks. 250 HP that can only be hit a little bit at a time, against a virus that can kill you in only a few shots.

In here, your busting level has to be above 4 in every fight until you reach the gate. You know what, I'm gonna grind, then select the gate, just to give the game a fair chance.

I need to come up with a catchphrase, because FIXED

I don't know, I think your unbridled arrogance and condescension counts as a pretty good catchphrase.

Another Recov150? Game, can you make these drops more interesting? Seriously.

Recov120(BN1): A C E G L
Recov120(OSS): F H L R *

Where is that *? I WANT IT.

Did you notice that was only 3 chip drops? If you did, you get a cookie because we have a problem. No, I'm not talking about it, yet.

Giver toying with the audience like this is some lovely "Who's going to get kicked out next" reality TV show.

Oh. Yeah, this fight is easy, despite having the same HP as Popper2, thanks to the double hitbox weakness.

It's got the same issues as Popper viruses (i.e. they can't be hit for certain periods of time) except this barrier can go down briefly if you deal enough damage at once, the vulnerability period is much longer, and gently caress Popper.

gently caress off, game. You put them in situations where they can't be S-ranked and yet I still get the highest rank possible. And you only give me Zenny.

Eat a dick.

I love whenever this happens. Such wonderful schadenfreude.

Popper3 has 120 HP. That's not a typo. He has 5 Recov120 chips to make up for the HP loss, making him the Support variant of the bunch.

Popper3's only drop their chip in B code. As for the effect, it's basically PopUp, which is basically an Invis chip, so :shrug:

I do appreciate you have DropDown and PopUp as chips.

Candle2's. Honestly the most deadly part of these viruses is their attacks taking forever to pass over a row.

Their chip has good healing, too.

Candle is a weird family of chips.

These are Fanner3's. They deal 180 damage, but their attacks only go 3 squares ahead. And they don't move. Yes, they suck.

Easiest thing imaginable.

Dangerous on the front line, pointless literally anywhere else. Yeesh.

Mosqurito3's deal 200 damage, whereupon they heal exactly that amount. Unfortunately, they're way slow. In terms of attack range, they're essentially a Fishy.

I actually do like this chip, despite it's limited use. It timestops and dashes along the row, so it can replace my DashAttacks. Only it heals 90 HP from enemy it hits.

Plus it comes in A code, so hooray, more A code.

The only way to get on the left side over there? Pass under the bridge. No, I'm not kidding. Lazy Capcom devs, I swear.

At least you have a map.

100k...? Really!? Are you loving kidding me?

Better go grind those 30 Zenny GMDs I guess.

Who the gently caress puts Dash G here anyway? This is the furthest Internet shop in the game and you're giving me this!?

I buy 3 Wave A's, since they can hit enemies in each row, and they go with my A code majority.

"Satisfactory"? Pfft.

"I guess that was good enough. jesus how many viruses you did kill again?"

The deepest Net Area in the game. In the original Battle Network 1, there was a non-fixed drop of 10,000Z, but much like Undernet 10, that drop was nerfed to 5,000Z. That means there are 3,000/4,000/5,000/5,000 Zenny drops. However, once again, that last 5k RNG slot doesn't drop.

Time for the big reveal!

Look, there were a few bugs in the original Battle Network 1 that prevented some non-fixed drops from spawning. They were:

CannonBall(Howitzer) A in Undernet 11 -- gently caress you for this since A code is good to start with.

and another 10,000Z in Undernet 12. Laughable, since you changed it to 5,000, which you already had in the area to begin with. You guys really weren't looking, were you? These drops were all roughly 1/32 chance in the first place, so you can imagine my pain. It took me 3,102 resets to eventually get this information. You're welcome.

The team added a new bug: by lowering the droprate of the 5000z drop in Undernet 10 (was 10,000 in Battle Network 1), it created a bug whereby it doesn't spawn at all.

I'll let Prof explain in the thread why this happened in a more technical manner. But suffice to say...gently caress this RNG.

Time for the big reveal in like a post or two!

This fixed drop eased my pain.

Now this is what I came here for. I'm drat sure this fixed drop didn't change Yeti. No need.

Oh good, I don't have to go fetch it.

Recov200(BN1): A C E G L
Recov200(OSS): I J L N Q

A +10 increase, from 120 to 130. ...Yay.

God tier drop, right here. 150 in a spread formation that's farmable? YES PLEASE

And our power skyrockets. We're going to begin the slow transition over to C code.

:rant:

Pfft.

DEMON SPAWN.

That's one of the easier encounters.

Well, poo poo. Honestly, we'll need WoodAura F for a trade later. It's one of the harder chips to get, so maybe later on I'll detail the easy ways to break down this encounter ala BN3.

Gaia3's were the most damaging virus enemy in the series in the original. They dealt a whopping 400 damage without armor, 200 with. In OSS they only deal 200 damage, so it seems like the developers cut back on the damage values. Even still, we can get 2-shotted, so we really, really shouldn't be here. But you know me.

That's like every playthrough of BN1, to be fair. Risking one's Navi's life unnecessarily for UNLIMITED POWER.

gently caress you. With the biggest cactus you can find.

Ahahahaha. You showed this to me on Discord already, and it's still just as funny.

IronBody only drops at low ranks. And hey, C-code.

Begone, ye pest!

I love the Gaia chips. They hit everything on the field, but one column at a time. I farmed up 3 of them for my folder.

A code is the most blatant about it in early game, but there's a lot of good chips in a bunch of the codes.

Well at least I got AquaAura.

Alright, well, let's head back to Undernet 6 and take the other path.

Yes, this is a long update, but we just want to get all of Undernet done right here and now. That way we don't have to worry about spelunking again.

Much like Undernet 11, they want us to stay above a certain Busting Level. This time, 3. Please.

Hahahahaha, loving garbage. This was offered in the Undernet 11 shop for 3k.

That's 3k you can save for PowerUps and HPMemory, though.

New chip, I'll take it.

Now, those are Mosqurito 2's. Yes, they have the same HP as their 3rd variant. But they deal only 100 damage but attack much faster.

Battle Network 1, I don't understand you sometimes.

I don't think the devs understood Battle Network 1. (though more accurately the dev's bosses, devs just do what they're told, etc etc.)

Piranha2 chip, gotten.

This fixed reward almost makes up for the earlier shenanigans.

Almost. I still appreciate the 10/20/30.

Very good. In fact, senior-level NetBattlers used this in tournaments.

Being able to just drop an obstacle is pretty powerful.

Miney2's.

Mine2(BN1): C E G J L
Mine2(OSS): C E J L *

No, Miney2 doesn't drop Mine2 * unfortunately.

Sadface.

Oh, loving perfect.

Don't mind me, I'm just showing off my rare chip collection, ala Higsby.

Everyone will be glad when this update's over and you can stop flexing for like thirty seconds.

Yeah, don't put virus busting gates in front of me. It never works.

Better. At least there are some new chips here for our Library.

Geddon1(BN1): F H J L N
Geddon1(OSS): H J L N *

Geddon2(BN1): A B E I K
Geddon2(OSS): A B E K Q

IcePunch got a considerable buff, going from 80 to 150. It's M code, so you can combo it with IceCube if you somehow can't get the * code.

Nothing is more satisfying than punching an IceCube straight into an enemy's face. It just feels good.

I see you have returned in this area, too, Anaconda.

S-ranking complete.

...no

PanlOut1! Hey, remember those? No, of course you don't, they're awful.

Jesus Christ, STOP with this. That's the 3rd loving time we can get M-Cannon L. Worse yet, it's free in infinite quantities! Why would I ever pay 10,000 for this chip when I can farm it!? A waste of a slot. This could have been a new chip.

Pretty positive this fixed reward doesn't change either.

At least it's a good chip. Not something like M-Cannon L for the fourth time.

And that's the entire Miney family. Talk about accelerated powercreep.

That was the point of the gates, to be fair. They wanted to slow down players that couldn't handle these things.

Good code, but I'm only sticking to Gaia3.

Poitton 2's are quite strong, dealing 180 damage. Fanner2's are somehow more deadly than Fanner 3 since their attack reaches 5 panels and can home in on you. I really have to admit that this formation is quite strong.

Fortunately, I'm a pro anyway.

By all means, please, continue. I don't think the thread knows how highly you think of yourself yet.

A multi-hit move, but there's no hitstun in this game, so it's not nearly as good.

200 damage. But it can't S-rank, so it's more for bosses than anything.

Phew. we're done with all that.

Time to go right back in!

It never ends.

-----------------------------------------

Stay classy, Capcom.

It never ends...

giver336 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 15, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

rannum posted:

Also is it possible to even S Rank the popup virus? Seems like it takes too much time between waiting for it to pop up, take the damage, go in the hole, pop back up. And the nneeding to move all over to attack, needing to do multiple attacks, etc.

Currently, the only way is to get them in a fight with another enemy that's not a Popper-variant. If there is more than one Popper, they won't come down at the same time.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, I thought this port was just lazy, but it also adds glitches? incredible. Capcom sure tried hard here.

To clarify, that glitch existed with Undernet 11 and 12 in the original. But when Capcom nerfed the drop from 10k to 5k, they also lowered the drop rate. In doing that, Undernet 10's best zenny drop won't spawn. That makes 2: WoodMan's sprite glitch which the translators fixed, and this.

E:

SirSystemError posted:

Anyway, are you actually going to use these advanced chips to crush the game beneath your heel, or is this in itself sufficient crushing?

I figured I'll use my overpowered chips to destroy the game and score more early chips. Whenever the OSS exclusive scenario rolls around, I'll switch to a more by-the-books, 10-year-old jank folder to accurately reflect the difficulty.

giver336 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 14, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

rannum posted:

Sorry I meant the mole/dog virus. The one with 10 HP that only takes 1 damage no matter what and will run away.

Yeah, he can't be S-ranked. Fortunately, you don't need high ranks to get any of his codes. All 5 of them drop from the virus. Luckily, that virus doesn't have any sort of Zenny drop, so the challenge is just to win. Completely OK with him. Not fine with stuff like 2 Gaia1's.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Prof. 9 posted:

CannBall A

3000 resets...

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Blaziken386 posted:

Speaking of chip-based RNG, I've started playing BN2's hard mode after finishing up the story bits of 3, and I may have gone overboard on the grinding.

yes, my folder is in R code, why do you ask :shepicide:

That's a good thing. You'll need 5 LavaDragons and 5 NapalmManV3's for PlanetManV3's 3300 HP. You might want 5 KnightMan V3's and some Fan * for Octovian grinding, since 480 HP is a lot to punch through.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
I hate everything

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #7: Mean Green

Oh, I hope this update features Luigi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVTD8JoHw0

Easy StoneMan3. To my dismay, his most frequent attack still only does 30 damage. :roflolmao:

StoneMan: A chump as a boss, a chump as a chip.

For our second wave of grinding, just play this song as you read.

Money money money! :10bux:

For the love of money

People will steal from their motherrr.

For the love of money

People will rob their own brotherrr.

Giver doesn't care who he hurts or be's!

For a small chunk of change it takes up a lot of space.

Got to have it
I really need it

Yeti, can you spare a dime?

Give me a nickel.

Money will drive some goons out of their miiiiiiind.

:sax: (sax solo!) :sax:

Oh, mighty dollar

Time to grab everything I missed the first time around. Put your chips down where I can see them!

Why yes, I spent hours leisurely fighting things.

Money Chips can drive some Givers out of their mind.

Wait, you have a mind? You're not just some weird single-cell organism driven by arrogance and greed?

Get out of here with your crappy Level 1 viruses.

Spooky3's (the sole encounter in this area) will drop Recov200 L instead of Recov200 A.

libraryAcquiredCount++;

Prefix-incrementation is generally better than postfix, unless you desperately need to add one AND reference the current count.

Easy pickings. Swinging back around...

C-code superiority!

It's weird to see A-code losing its position, at least a little bit.

Undernet 10 was a pain in my rear end for several reasons. There's a lot of viruses in here that only appear in here.

This thing is in one of two virus rooms in the entire game, luckily they're all in Undernet 10.

That's actually really annoying. I hate when the mobs only spawn in one spot.

I can C this going in my folder.

After hours of farming, I get this. Can we do better?

So begins the C-code transition.

Like all MMBN games, the chip code that makes up most of your library will drift and change over the course of the game. Except BN5. That one you always use S code from start to finish.

That doesn't work on Fire attacks, FYI, but they're a minority in this game.

Already gonna replace SnakeEgg1 * with this.

snak

Honestly, the Auras are probably the hardest chips to get in this game. Just the game feels like being lovely with the droprate.

...And I eat my words. I'll leave a GIF of how I got it because it's so hard to get.

It's not as interesting, but maybe you'll wanna copy that.

snek

Oh, this is a BEAUTIFUL pick-up. C is the Magical Letter. :v:

Leaving this in, since AquaAura R is necessary for Roll's LifeSaver Program Advance. Really weird.

And wow, done here. I got every chip I missed. Not every code, of course, but I'll do that off-screen.

R is also a pretty powerful chip code, in my opinion. At least, for early-game thanks to the Roll chip and some of the others.

Excuse me, I have 30 Guard's to farm.

While going in and out of HP's to reset the non-fixed data. I run into you-know-who and get FireMan2 and 3.

FireMan2's chip power has been increased from 120 to 140
FireMan3's chip power has been increased from 150 to 180

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4bOOmQeFLY

It's great to see that we're getting more firepower.

Hah. I get it. And I hate you.

The buster chips are quite fun. Gimmicky, but fun. I won't be using them much, though.

Buying out this entire shop, because why not.

If you have the cash, you can spend it.

drat, I don't have these. :eng99:

So, she offered to throw in cool virus busting tips to sweeten this trade. Fine, what do you have to say?

gently caress YOU :argh:

But don't you see, if you do that, something cool will happen! I don't know what, but something cool!

Just a little tidbit, you can meet these guys in Lan's PC. Bizzare, I tell you.

Giver and I nearly freaked out when I stumbled into this, until we looked around and found out that this was already known.

Welp. 100 unique chips before fighting IceMan. Now this is a Giver LP.

All right, that's enough. Story time!

Time to finally cool your jets, huh.

I feel you, old man.

Ugh. It's even worse when you have an appointment and then the official just doesn't show up because ?????

Story time? I didn't say that. You can't prove anything.

Fake news.

"...the channel change button, and nothing happens? That's because the channel switching program wasn't paying attention to his job.

GASP.

Mr. Prog! How could you do this to us!

Mr. Prog, you lazy poo poo! Retire this program! :argh:

The fourth Escape code. I only need the 5th.

Cute how we're seeing the Level 1 so soon after we've already murdered its stronger brethren.

He's just saying hi!

Cloud(BN1): B G H O R
Cloud(OSS): B H O R *

Cloud's power has been increased from 30 to 60.

So that means their power curve is 60/80/100 instead of 30/50/100 in the original.

And now he's saying bye! I also appreciate the smoother curve, as opposed to that bonkers 50-damage jump.

Hey Ratty, I killed 2 and 3's. AND I drew BigBomb. Drop your chips and go harrass Yeti instead.

Giver I will call the exterminators on you.

Stayed here for the 4 codes of Ratton1 that drop. The fifth code is in another location.

Also, the Ratty chips got a power boost.

Ratton1's power has been increased from 80 to 90.
Ratton2's power has been increased from 100 to 110.
Ratton3's power has been increased from 120 to 130.

Uhhh...

It's already good, let's just make it better.

Hasn't jacking into a vending machine been in literally every Battle Network game?

That's it. Although, their chips are decent for s-ranking if you didn't run all the way to the postgame like I did.

These chips do 70 in this game. They'll face a 20 damage nerf in Battle Network 2, since that game loved nerfing Standard chips in favor of Program Advance spam.

What do you mean spam? Just because every busting folder was a variation on Gater...

Well, we can get these for free in Internet 3, so game please.

Right, right. You still have to talk to this lady, to then be able to hit the button to go up to SciLab's floor. And you'll still always have to hit the button each time you want to go up.

I can't wait for them to fix that problem. I just wish they'd fixed it here.

Man I have deja vu.

MEAN GREEN

Aw. So it's not Luigi.

"I'm making stupid mistakes, like giving out the wrong drink! PLEASE, GIVE ME A VACATION!"

No Vacation for Mr.Progs. Work until you're replaced.

In cases like this, do they blue-screen, crash, or collapse?

...dem

Pfft, fuzzy logic

Pictured: How Yeti wishes he could summarize my updates. (etc.,etc.)!

It'd make reading through your ego-stroking so much more bearable.

VolGear2. And that's the last one in the entire family line. Recall that WoodTower drops from Poppers, not anything like VolGear3.

gently caress you, you give me my reward.

AquaTower(BN1): A C G H R
AquaTower(OSS): C G H R *

Man, I wish there was a PA using Fire,Aqua and WoodTower *.

Ah, poo poo. I DIDN'T PAY. Yeti, my money was wasted on chips. Send help.

I'm still waiting for that nickel.

Yay! I'm a kid. See? Look how I insult the thread! Yeti is the adult.

...was that a compliment? I'm not sure how to take this.

How is the Hikari family not rich? No, seriously. PETs are a worldwide phenomena. We should be rolling in dough and bitches

They're rich, but Yuichiro is good at investing it. They're just waiting for the paycheck to start rolling in.

HEY DAD. Annnnd he's gone. Just like mine.

OK, you know what? This is the most subtle example of forshadowing in the entire series. Even more subtle than some of BN3's.

Yeah, wow, that's... really good. Especially since people won't know what it's foreshadowing until the big reveal.

Yes, that's our program. TAKE IT.

Drat. Being a thief and stealing leftover data didn't pay off this time.

You mean... we can't just get our goodie?

Internet 3 shortcut. Gonna yoink.

Here is another substantial change: The virus machine in the original simply spat out a virus encounter from any dungeon you completed. In OSS, it gives a virus encounter from the next dungeon coming up.

This will be kinda necessary, since one of the areas in the Waterwork dungeon has no encounters. Only way to see it is to check this out now, and hope we get lucky.

This makes it more useful, since it's basically guaranteeing you'll get a slightly more powerful chip than you have. Well, if Giver were playing through normally instead of running through the Undernet at the first chance he got.

This encounter formation is specific to that area with zero encounters, so we got lucky. Fortunately, there aren't any exclusive viruses or anything.

You could just sit here and farm forever. In fact...

Yep, got all 5.

Sorry Dad. I'm robbing your job blind. BLIND.

Game! This is a free, infinite reward somewhere else. PLEASE.

Would you prefer M-Cannon L instead?

First time you'll find Handi2's. 120 damage from a chip is great to have right away.

And I used this in the GIF you saw earlier. Time travel. :ssh:

How'd he do that :iiam:

EPM showed this one off. But the game puts oodles of foreshadowing all over the office.

I mean, if there's ever an appropriate place for it, it's here.

"We now laugh, and get mad, and worry like humans do. Is that not the defining condition of humanity?"

Oh no, he's bringing up philosophy in a Battle Network game. SAVE YOURSELVES.

Apparently humanity is the ability to freak about poo poo.

I want. But dang, I wonder how often he actually gets to come home at this rate.

Cook real food.

We're just going to unlock this and head home.

Hooray dad. You finally sent the PowerUp. I could have used that whilst grinding you know.

We went from 3/1/1 before the massive grind to 5/1/4. RIP game.

They changed this line to X Button. YAY!

Now you have SIX buttons to press instead of four!

More plot next time, I promise.

For what it's worth, we're almost to the next dungeon.

----------------------------

how can you tell, your eyes are closed. how

giver336 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 21, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Epicmissingno posted:

What's the general pattern for chip drops in this game? There are enemies that drop five of the same chip with different codes, and there are some that only drop one or two codes. But there are also some codes that don't drop from enemies, so how do those work? Are they generally finite in number?

#JustBN1Things

In case enemies don't drop all of their codes, you'll have to find the alternate codes elsewhere. Luckily Chip Trader can spit out an infinite number of them. But if you don't want to fight that RNG, then yes, you have a finite number of anything that isn't a non-fixed drop.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
TeamBN is doing their summer speedrun marathon. Come check it out if you're interested.

You can find the schedule here: (converts to your local timezones)

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
On the note of whether buster affects ranking in BN3:

S+
- Must be Custom Style
- Enemies must be viruses
- Busting LV. must be S
- Didn't fire regular shots
- Didn't fire non-elemental charge shots
- Didn't select any Navi chips
- Must be under 5 seconds

S++
- Must be Custom Style
- Enemies must be viruses
- Busting LV. must be S
- Didn't fire regular shots
- Didn't fire non-elemental charge shots
- Didn't select any Navi chips
- Must be under 5 seconds
- Didn't visit Custom Screen more than once

That's it as far as I know. Only affects Custom Style S-ranks (S++) or Off-Color Custom S-rank (S+).

Solumin posted:

I love your gifs of the virus battles. Your timing is impeccable.

And like other MMBN games, the plot is the annoying stuff that tried to distract you from fun battles.

If I see anymore worth doing, I'll gif it.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
We'll be putting up Update #8 shortly. Update #8 has a lot of images so I'll be giving this a small bump while I apply the finishing touches.

Update #9 will come earlier than next Saturday as I want to squeeze that one in before vacation.

E: Need a new page. It's the entire IceMan dungeon

giver336 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 29, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #8: World 3 Water U Doing

Note: In this update, if you see the word "Official", then that's something the translators localized.

Alright, time for a healthy plot update.

Man, feels like a while since we've done something other than plumb the depths of the Internet. I could do with a nice, self-contained dungeon right about now.

Lan's been stopping plans, but yet they grow worse. We've been slacking!

OK, now for a change. In the original Battle Network 1 script, MegaMan says "...But remember you have weekend class this week?". So this is clearly a change. It was likely due to a change in how holidays work in :japan: Perhaps any savvy goons in the comments can elaborate. Now it just looks like Lan doesn't know what day it is, rather than what week he has weekend class.

In the original, they didn't localize so much as translate, which led to weirdness like this:

...where the English audience is briefly confused because we don't regularly have Saturday classes. Or, as a kid, just be glad you don't have Saturday classes.

I never noticed that bird on the balcony. It actually flies away if you get too close. Huh.

Ellipses? That's RPG code for "am sad"

Giver is starving! FEED!

I HUNGER, COWARD

First our oven, now this. As Yeti mentioned a while back, this game seems to revolve round what a kid would find scary. No more mommy's cooking? NOOOOOOOOOOO

Mayl leave me alone. No food and no BattleChips maks an angry Giver.

Along the way, she tells us how she couldn't use any water. Maybe a line to ACDC burst or something.

...Oh.

Welp, time to murder the innocent for their inherent water storage.

Slaughter the weak and drink their blood! Except don't because there's a lot of salt/iron in blood and that'll just make the thirst worse.

This is...odd.

"Wait how did I make it to 5th grade without ever knowing where the bathroom is?"

It's not like you can go in, so, uhh...?

Surely these things can't be connected. Surely

Welp. You guys can't whine about GangsterDex when the game applies the same grammar structure to him.

Dex is a thug.

SWEET! Wait, you cancel class for this, and not the Higsby incident? :rant:

Our ____ are gone!

Higsby, huh? We totally owned that lamer.

Time to kill GutsManV3.

You can actually fight him before class too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q88EcDbF71s

GutsMan V3 at 100 damage isn't too shabby. But if you don't pick this up early, don't bother using it lategame. And yes, I got the V2 while I was at it.

Honestly, the GutsMan * is more useful in generic folders.

This is the only place in the game to get GutsPunch, too. You'll have to do semi-poorly on GutsManV3.

This was buffed from 60 to 160 damage. Yikes.

It's a giant fist to the face, I'm glad it deals the damage it should.

Oh drat. Wait, how the hell is the pond gone? I could see any additional water not being sent, but the one that was sitting there? Did...did the vents in the pond just suck up all the water?

Clearly it's just incredibly hot. Or maybe the residents of ACDC already drank it all?

"wanna some chips"

This typo exists in the original game too!

*faintly, as if from a great distance away* Wow your chips suck!

...Why are you asking me this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqIniafubpQ

NumberMan's chip is OK. Provided you feel like literally rolling dice for higher damage.

The Chip Trader works the same as in the original. That is, it has a 75% chance of spitting back out a chip you own in a different code. You can even do the Folder Stack trick, whereby you pick up almost nothing else in the game but the chips you want to draw. Have the trader spit at you the alternate codes/copies that you can't get. I'm not doing that, though.

:woop: Guess I don't need 3,000 Star Colo points for the drat Program Advance!

Ah, the good Chip Trader shenanigans. Where it'll drop every chip in the game, and doesn't make you save first, and checks the reward right before it gives it to you.

Considering the virus only drops its chips in B code, I'll take it.

Yai, I don't care. I want my drat breakfast. Off to the Waterworks!

Man, who cares about some wiener who got themselves kidnapped, let's just fix the problem and then eat. Rescue yourself, random NPC!

Yeah, don't drink the soft drinks. It'll only make it worse.

People don't understand this concept, somehow. I have a coworker that constantly complains about being thirsty, and I see him slam back three Pepsis for lunch.

Can...Can this lady not make enough milk for her baby?

We haven't seen a new mugshot in a while. What a happy-looking individual.

Oh, he's probably not important.

Says the kid.

drat my screenshotting habits.

Both Lan and Megaman are tired of Chaud's poo poo. After one conversation.

...Huh. I forgot BN1 was putting forth that Officials can NetBattle anywhere they want. Whatever that means. We haven't seen any restrictions even in this game with regards to NetBattling, so I don't really get it.

I'll just yoink this.

I'm sure we'll return it when we're done.

"Hmm, you look like Dr. Yuichiro Hikari. Don't know why you got shorter."

Yes, we stole this from that dude's belongings.

He can't use it! HP Mems only work with MegaMan. Clearly, Dr. Hikari slipped this in here without the guy knowing.

This is why you don't push out code on a Friday you morons.

Yeah, nobody would ever make deliveries on a Friday. And then leave for the weekend. ...nobody.

Totally not a WWW plot. What would WWW do with the town's water!?

Yeah, things are never this simple.

I don't know, I buy that guy's explanation. The random guy with a unique sprite seems legit.

MegaMan brings up the missing kid in Class 5-B as part of the discussion of things not being all that they seem.

OK, yes, the kidnapped child is Dr. Froid's son, so they're obviously connected. But there's no reason for MegaMan to think that one relates to the other at this point in time. Yai tells us later that the kid is Froid's son, not now.

Gasp. MegaMan is a bad influence! Save yourselves!

Lan was a good kid until his NetNavi started asking him to stay out late and sneak into highly-classified areas. Battle Chips: Not even once.

:roflolmao: No one will enter Dad's office, not even Dad himself!

Where even is Dad, anyway?

After much pacing...

Won't Lan's Mom be worried? Wouldn't she call Lan on his PET. Ah, gently caress it.

She probably assumes he's hanging out with Mayl or Dex or something.

Well, given that there's a serious bug somehow causing all the water to vanish. I would imagine someone's staying late.

Time to go into the dun-...

She...She interrupted us mid jack-in. How is this universe breaking power possible?

She's got a unique sprite. That's how.

I do like how plausible this is. You forget sometimes that Lan is supposed to be only 11.

Though he did need to have an access card to get in here.

Lan, that is no reason to feel smug!

Oh look, they added a new textbox. Hooray. :regd09:

Honestly this dungeon isn't too bad. People exaggerate the ~[ice puzzle~ but really, it's easy.

The mechanics are a little precise for what they want you to do, and they clearly dropped the idea of non-diagonal movement being important for later games. Still, it's a good dungeon in my opinion.

Pictured: Quake 3 destroying every encounter in this area.

Just turn on faucets and solve simple ice puzzles. It's pretty chill.

...Pun not intended.

Don't go sliding off the slippery slope when it comes to puns.

Cool new mugshot, ProtoMan.

ProtoMan is super offended by this and tries to kill us for our blasphemy.

ProtoMan you rear end in a top hat, we're civilians. You nearly deleted a civilian NetNavi.

He nearly killed MegaMan. What a dick. And people wonder why Colonel was the better version of MMBN5.

Nope, we have Internet maps! :downsrim:

Translators PLS.

I didn't screenshot it, but ProtoMan just says "Chaud,sir". No more Load Chaud typo.

The world grows cold.

Load Chaud is pretty great. I already miss it.

Man, was Chaud always this abrasive. I forgot.

See you around, Spider-Navi.

Spider-Navi, Spider-Navi, does whatever a Spider-Navi does.

Remember kids, always pick up your HP.

Gasp. Running water. Whatever shall we do.

It's a shame we don't have some sort of fire-based weaponry, or water-based weaponry, or... What I'm saying is a lot of the issues could be resolved by Lan thinking outside the box.

Heading to the 3rd area, we can see Spooky2's spawn here more frequently.

WideSword in this area is at least better than the Undernet.

The difficulty curve on this game is weird. Reminder, this is Scenario 4.

Being able to walk at least helps with making some of the more precise slides.

With this and GutsPunch B and Dash B, you could make a Program Advance. I'll have to try it out later and see if it was buffed or anything.

"Program Advance: Just punch a lot and get in their face or something, I dunno." - the inventors of the Battle Chip system, probably.

You give me that S-rank, Spooky2.

JESUS loving CHRIST. A FOURTH SPOT. WHY

Yeah, that's the good poo poo right there!

I half-wish the maps showed the ice on the roads as well. It's still as trial-and-error-y as before.

So yeah, the developers didn't fix any of the glitches. In fact, it's still possible to skip the upcoming virus fight just like how they do in speedruns.

A virus fight where the viruses only attack straight. If you have trouble with this, then you suck.

Seriously, these guys are free. They're roughly as threatening as Mettaurs.

WONDERFUL ZENNY

A-bloo-dee-blu what?

Excuse me?

Um. A FireShot? That's not a chip!

Whatever this is, it never shows up again, either.

This works and doesn't damage the machine in anyway. Also, floating block of water.

KOOL-AID!

I get they needed a visual representation that Unfiltered Water = Bad, but come on. What the hell are these pipes that this is the result?

Don't you just love these NPCs?

So apparently ACDC's water is literally poisonous unless treated properly. Like, we're talking instant 'You need an emetic or you will probably die.'

Chaud, don't stalk me! :argh:

Wow, literally everyone is dumb.

How hard is it to go "Maybe I should drink this glowing purple goop"?

There were...two bugs?

Most people would feel too embarrassed to go back and "help", but not our Lan!

Bitch leave me alone, I don't caaaareee.

"Forgot". I'm gonna smack you on your forehead and subsequently break my hand.

Would it be a hard target thanks to the glare, or an easy one thanks to the size?

"good luck". Yai, you useless poo poo.

:same:

I was about to comment about how we don't get a cool Shark Navi, and then I remembered SharkMan exists! Hooray! :same:

Lazy kidnappers didn't bother to lock the door. Jesus Christ.

Alternatively, Lan was metal enough to punch out the window.

How does he have the Handle program? Ms.Madd ripped it off and gave it to the kid for safe keeping because...?

Need to keep the important pieces of the puzzle together.

:psyduck: Send this message yourself! Why are we the delivery men?

I don't even.

I'm okay! They kidnapped me once but this time definitely not again!

Buying the Spreader K to make the 5-chip Program Advance later.

Barrier(BN1): D F M R S
Barrier(OSS): *

Man, what a usability increase. Fun fact: Barrier is one of the chips that spawn in one of the PCs.

And that reveals another hidden change which we'll cover next update.

loving fantastic.

Hey! Assholes! PEOPLE ARE DYING! Wake up!

They drank the water too, that's why they're unconscious.

Why can't we just call him? Chaud called us despite only seeing us for 5 minutes.

E-mail him the message! Go back to the kid and have him call his Dad! PLS!

But we haven't had a boss fight yet.

C-code superiority!

As you can see by the map, we're in the other half of this area.

Things are a lot less complicated when you can see all of the map, even without the ice on the screen.

Puzzles start to get more complicated. You'll need more precise ice slides to make it.

A-code inferiority!

Once we've reached the Undernet, A-code stops being quite as good. That being said, I have an ARQ tri-coded folder for blowing through the game quickly.

: Dayum, that girl got a nice RAQ
Get at her from the back
Cuz she'll like my pack
Tell her Gangster Dex ain't whack

Last update I mentioned that one area in Waterworks Comp doesn't have any encounters? This is it. You need to go to the virus machine and check this area's encounters before you come here proper. Not that you're really missing anything.

Thank the gods they don't have encounters here. It would be awful if they did.

"If you melt the ice with water, you can walk on the area you melted. From the melted area, you can fall into another hole to reach another faucet. Melt the ice again to create a new path. Then you can get to the brown path to the right."

I think they added this in the remake. Yeti, mind clarifying this one?

The Mr. Prog exists and gives similar hints, but the text is a lot clearer than in the original.

For reference, this is the Prog's full hint in BN1: "Fall through a hole to find a path. Melt the ice to create another. Fall through another hole. Melt the ice again to create a new path. Then you can get to the brown path to the right."

The dev team also gives you the answer hints at where you should start.

This is another change in OSS. The original doesn't have that single unfrozen panel.

Don't forget this!

Boy, our buster is growing up fast.

It's already as powerful as it needs to be. It will be stronger.

"...to the right. But this area's slippery, so you can't get there yet... Maybe if you melted some ice you could reach the path? You're almost there! Good luck!"

This one, too, Yeti.

Also just changed dialogue to make the hint clearer. "You can fall through there to get to the path below. You're almost there. Good luck!"

This one's actually misleading, because once you melt the ice with the nearby faucet you don't need to fall into another hole to get out.

Thanks to the helpful Prog hints, we get past this area with little to no issues.

Pictured: an Avery cartoon.

Now I'm imagining MegaMan as Wile E. Coyote, chasing down QuickMan dressed as the Road Runner. "Meep meep! *dam explodes*"

Swordy3's appear this deep in. Dang. Oh, look, BigBombs.

You'll need to do some super precision slides.

I'm glad they get rid of this for the future games. Moving straight up/down/left/right feels weird.

After going there, slide this way.

Slide up.

Then merely go back down.

Slide left, then back down to the position 2 screenshots up, but instead go back.

Oh no, EskimoMan.

Ah, Lan. Not listening to authority. I'm sure you could be arrested for this.

IceMan gets back up and tries to attack ProtoMan.

It's a shame Froid doesn't show up more often in the series. He'd be cool.

God dammit that's the 3rd one this update.

I tried to warn about the slippery slope, but you just blew me off. Guess you're starting to feel the chill now, huh.

"wrong enemy k"

...So, who's B-rank and S-rank operator? I demand to understand how you guys organize their operatives.

Given how much of a pushover Match was, is he C-rank or B-rank? Maybe C-rank is restricted for their contractors, like Higsby.

I guess SuperPrograms were just common knowledge in this game? Don't ask me.

To be fair, if it had to be somewhere, I'd expect it to be in a highly-secure area that can only be accessed by someone with the appropriate ID.

Bye, ProtoMan!

IceMan attacks MegaMan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHIFUfUue3g

These fights are going at a brisk pace. Jesus, OSS.

This one's more on you for going to the Undernet, in my opinion.

Just take the drat thing.

"This mail address". Email. Sent to another Navi to be delivered like a courier pidgeon. Yes.

That's how it works, in this world. Or would you rather give it to a Mr. Prog?

Dad's going to jail and his son will be orphaned. YAY.

Missed screenshot: Dr. Froid says "You... You're right, kid." I may be presenting this at a quick pace, but even this exchange was fast. It makes sense, at least, since Froid's at least got a head on his shoulders.

"I really don't want to do this but they have my son." "Your son's safe." "Man gently caress those kidnapper guys, let's go!"

IceMan sucks up the ice he put on the system.

This scene ends...just like that. No, there's nothing after this box in this scene.

Congrats, Scenario 4 complete. We're just flying by.

This is the very next dialogue box. I'll just...go with it.

So, do the SuperPrograms control all of DenCity's properties? Is it just wherever it's installed. So confused.

Boy don't you two feel like idiots.

MegaMan walks up. And yes, MegaMan, we can see that. It's ProtoMan. He said his name.

Judging by Blinky's contribution, I imagine MegaMan is just sighing. "Oh, this dipshit Navi again. He tried to kill me, but couldn't kill a clown."

And he would have deleted ColorMan too if it weren't for that meddling duo.

So, the original dialogue here was "Who are you and how do you know my name"? So, hooray for fixing that minor hole.

They missed a comma after "Who do you think you are" though.

All right, at least Chaud has an excuse: this would be classified information.

You guys didn't change this to "jack out". 0/10 localization.

I guess it kinda works if you imagine that MegaMan needs to pull out of the system? But yeah, this should really be jack out.

No thanks to CHAUD.

Chaud is cool, while Froid is surprisingly warm-hearted.

MegaMan expects snarky Lan.

Yeah, if we don't get to the new Starforce content soon, there'll be riots in the thread.

I can't wait to be utterly disappointed.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get in the way again.

Lan and MegaMan: inveterate meddlers.

giver336 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 3, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Will post an early update in 6 hours. After this one, the next one will be during the week of the 13th, since I'll be back from vacation around that time.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #9: Giver is a Meanie Poopiehead

All right, people, we're officially at the halfway point of this game's story. Hoped you liked what changes you've gotten so far.

I wish they'd been a little bit more thorough with the changes, but I know I don't mind the little QoL improvements they've made so far.

I mean, you have 2 of the SuperPrograms, so while things aren't going optimal, you're halfway to releasing the LifeVirus. Oh, wait, I guess Higsby's defection would cause a problem. Hey, wait a minute, why the hell haven't the Officials questioned Higsby yet? I'm sure he could provide valuable info.

Uh... He's just a contractor, he probably doesn't know anything. For all we know, the WWW just pulled strings to get him into the school and then gave him a tape to play without sharing anything else.

Can't pay your hackers? NO LOYALTY. Wily will eventually seek out a benefactor in later games, so at least he learned from his mistake here.

Ah, yes. Pay your mercenaries or they'll leave as soon as the funding dries up. Pretty accurate.

You mean me. Yeti hasn't done anything. :v:

There are still more fixed data and shops to compare, you know. I don't mind letting you handle that since you're so talented.

Pictured: a blue man on a field in the monitor. I can't believe I never noticed that.

Wily leaves to do evil things. I bet he's having a migraine about how his elite hacker squad can't beat a small kid. Take your Cyber Pills.

Cyber Pills: not even once.

..."Wood". And no, they didn't do anything with the Wood SuperProgram in this re-release.

He knows who Lan is?! Oh no! The horror!

Lan responds non-chalantly about MegaMan's hard work.

Pictured: Me when I update this LP.

yeah

New mugshot. I think they made Roll look closer to a teenager. Is it the angle?

Navis: Mailer Daemon.

You know this one: Mayl wants us to accompany her in buying Yai a birthday present.

But... what has Yai done for us? She's blinded us with her forehead and then told us about Froid's son way too late to avoid backtracking.

gently caress that.

Leave me alone, MegaMan. I don't wanna!

See? She's not ready. :derp:

We'll do some Net grinding. And if she is still washing her hair, then oh well.

How the hell do you hear running water from outside the house? Are their water pipes just up against the wall or something?

Recov150 L........10000z

In Battle Network 1 as well as 5 from what I can recall, Higsby's shop changes throughout the game. I'm still broke, though.

I pick up this and NumberMan V2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcZNc8zE6CY

And now we never need to fight the Dice Boy again.

Poor Haruka is lonely. This is why Lan has trouble in class. And probably why he throws himself into NetBattling. And probably why he's somewhat socially inept in later games.

Oh boy.

This is depressing. Man...

Yes, and you'll be the first casualty.

THANK YOU GAME.

I'm so glad they give you this option.

What?

Abuse builds character.

You just traumatized this poor child. Welcome to the real DenCity, you're going to learn today!

Dr. Froid gives us access to an Official Mailing List. It may contain useful tips every now and then. Just give me my WWW Pin, Dr. Froid.

We have some fights to do.

WoodMan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXeITyVjMI

IceMan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gGfm-FzqK4

WoodMan is still the only W-coded chip in the game. His V1's chip damage has increased from 60 to 70. Boo.

WoodMan is... not good enough to be in any folder.

IceMan has increased from 60 to 80.

Good thing I traded for this earlier.

Jeez, lady, pushy much?

I mean, it's good. But you can find this infinitely in Undernet 10. So, it's just redundant.

Mayl probably still isn't done with her hair, so gently caress it.

The touchscreen helpfully tells you what Block you're currently resided in.

I mean it's not THAT useful but at least you know what screen you're in.

SkullMan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozlA3NHyQ64

You suck.

No bones about it, this Navi is easy.

This lets us access Internet Area 4, which of course we're going to in this update.

DailyMissEchelonSacrifice.png

We have offered up Progs on the altar, will she hear our pleas?

I mean...I do like the chip, but again, we can find this chip code infinitely elsewhere, so it's a waste.

Quake3 is a good chip.

Oh sweet. This is the only place that you can really farm for CanDevil3's. They do 200 damage with their flame, but the deadliest part is how long the flame takes to disappear from a row. Too bad they only move up/down and there's 2 of them.

Yoink.

The map is more interesting than the virus formation. This was before skulls really became Wily's motiff.

Right now, WWW's sign is really just a fancy W. Skulls are Miyu's thing in this game.

I can make the Program Advance now, but I'll be checking those offscreen in case they snuck in anymore changes. Don't expect commentary on them otherwise.

Trash.

CanDevil 1 and 3 right next to each other. Weird game.

This game's balancing is REALLY weird.

C-COOOOOOOOODE.

So, this game did something really stupid. In the original Battle Network, if you find a chip drop in an HP, let's say the Recov120 F in Sal's. It's respawns when you jack back in, BUT the game tells you "MegaMan couldn't decode the data." For some silly reason, Battle Network 1 only disallowed you picking up HP mystery datas repeatedly. Should you have the chip in that code in your pack by other means, no freebie.

In OSS, they updated it so now that if you have the chip in your pack, the mystery data despawns. There's a Barrier * in Miyu's HP (was Barrier S in BN1), but I can't get it. Because I already bought Barrier * earlier.

You get 3 Barrier * from Higsby's, one for free in the overworld (coming up in a few screenshots) and one here in OSS. If you pickup your data incorrectly, you could be in my spot where I can only get 4 Barrier * instead of 5. Stupid loving game.

I was very confused when playing BN1 and discovered this; to make things easier to get through the game for purposes of taking images (and since I don't care) I used a full sack code to get all the chips in the game. Since that meant I had the Recov120 F in Sal's HP, that meant I couldn't grab it.

Will Pangelina Joly be in this movie, too.

Upgrade Impossible? What, are they trying to get a good version of Windows 10?

This is tucked away, but it's important to find this place.

Yeti, this one is definitely different. Check it.

Yeah, yeah, I will...

Meanwhile, I hate everything.

She doesn't tell us what her measurements are, yet. ...That's a notable piece of trivia since the game quizzes you on it later. I'm not kidding.

This game is weird.

More Battle Network foreshadowing. Not as good as Dad's portrait, but this is something that would hit you later.

"I'm a bad program, you got that?"

Oh man now I'm imagining this Prog with sunglasses and a leather jacket.

I give Battle Network 1 some credit. If you search and talk to NPCs, you'll get early plot reveals, like how Yuri was an ex-WWW member.

Poitton3's. Only place in the game to find them. Ouch.

Speed+1.

We are closer and closer to having a fully upgraded Buster.

Whilst farming for HiCannon F (for Program Advance checking) I get into a fight with StoneMan and finally nab the V2 chip. It'll replace StoneMan V1 in my folder.

Huh? Why is Internet Area 2 so massive and twisty compared to the others?

Because the map devs got scolded for Area 2, I assume.

Trash.

Can you say Infinite Quake3 farming? Because that's what I'm about to do. I need alternate codes, mind you :v:

"Girl, give Handi." And there's your Battle Network pick-up line for this update.

If you're not careful, you'll end up with a Time Bomb of your own. Please use the appropriate protection, like firewalls or an antivirus.

Um, game? You let me buy this from the shop in Undernet 8. Don't think I don't see all this redundancy.

Nothing spectacular.

After the Undernet GMDs, a lot of these are going to be lackluster.

This fixed drop is a cut above the rest.

A-code is acceptably strong.

Miyu's HP is a great spot to jump right into the early Undernet areas. I'll be abusing this lategame.

:smith:

We'll be here eventually.

What is with this game's terrible shops?

It's worth remembering that a few of these shops (the ones in Internet 3 and Undernet 6 spring to mind) sell the elemental Armors that have been removed from this version of the game.

Once again, HP memories are of low priority for me. It's chips all the way until I'm almost done with my Library.

MegaMan, no! I'm not responding!

At least send a refusal, you monster.

GOD DAMMIT.

Fine, we'll do this date.

...In the next update.

Time for Scenario 5. We're just knocking these out of the park...

giver336 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 3, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Just sent the newest update to Yeti after a one-week break. May be up tomorrow. My schedule should be normal for a while, depending on how real-life circumstances are.

GIF to hold you over:

giver336 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 18, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #10: Art Lessons

I suppose Mayl's parents are business-people. This is about the only time this is mentioned to my recollection. Sheesh. And Lan complains his Dad isn't around. Least he has an active Mom.

Well, they needed an excuse for why Mayl lives alone and her mom never shows up on screen. At least they didn't go 'Her parents live in a different city'.

So after this, you need to go to the MetroLine, but you need to go in and out for Mayl to appear.

...Wait, what? How did they screw up that cutscene trigger? Weird. And that's something from the original, it's not a bug the new version added.

How dare you make me reload maps to trigger a flag.

NO! I had to waste 4 seconds!

I'm using speed-up while playing along so it was maybe half a second. Much better. At least GBA load times are roughly non-existent?

I do appreciate the turn-around. And I completely forgot that the cars still travel through cutscenes in BN1.

...Bygones? That's... weird. Was that something changed in the translation? Nope, that's what they said in the original. Translators, you can do better than this.

And she sends us ahead, which we already did last update, so this is awkward.

You know, we waited for her and everything. Mayl, PLS!

Sometimes things just slip on the schedule. Unlike my schedule for writing this co-commentary. Definitely not.

She sends this literally after stepping foot in the town, so I guess her grandmother's isn't far off.

How are we going to afford antiques as elementary school children? She's rich! Let her buy it.

At least we know where an antique shop is, so that's easy enough. (Here's a hint: the whole area is shaped like a plus. If we count the entrance to the metro as the bottom, then Miyu's shop is on the right arm.)

And we get Roll2 R.

Roll2 has buffed from 80 to 100. Yay.

Oh, look, changed dialogue. The original text said you should check the bus signs, if Yeti feels like grabbing.

Take a look:

Yep. That's the only difference.

Like so.

So, I already fought Miyu. Only thing I need to do is go inside the shop and exit.

Just a quick hop, skip, and jump to area 1 later, and...

It's supposed to be green, but it looks blue. In fact, the dungeon uses blue roads and ColorMan uses AquaTower. I'm confused. Is this a Japanese thing?

The lights in Japan are what we'd consider green due to international standards, but the Japanese language calls it blue (due to linguistic shifts that really don't apply to this LP, so I won't bog people down with the specifics that I'm not all that sure of myself). In some pictures they look more blue than others, but I'm not sure why these lights are blue-ish. Maybe turquoise, which is halfway between blue and green.

Dead. The bodies have disintegrated. Dead. The game never does say.

They've gone to the great Navi Graveyard in the Internet.

Gee, who could have caused this?

"It's a little pricey at 1,000,000 Zennys, but it's worth it! On sale at Central Dentown only while supplies last!"

This is such an IT scam. "sir there is virus in your compooter. pleez let me teamviewer to fix"

"Quick, install this rootkit and then also let me add a syskey to your computer and that will definitely fix the problem. Also pay me $150 so that I can install 'firewalls'.

I'm sorry, what?

Man, WWW is full of poopieheads, I'll tell you what.

What jerks they are. Though, if these people are falling for it, that kinda explains why Lan is roughly as competent as every other adult.

I have to admit: I like this dungeon. Both the music and the gimmick. It'spretty cool.

"However, the signal remained green!

You should still remember this. The road has to be red when we flip the switch to solve the puzzle.

Red means it's solved, of course.

Touch an orb to change the road's main color. We can only walk on whatever is currently a main color, so this is an exercise in spatial reasoning. I typically excel at these.

Plus, these are puzzles designed for kids. I'd be surprised if you couldn't. Though, maybe not that surprised.

You'll find cases like these where you'll have to touch an orb, grab something, and re-touch the same orb to progress. For here, I just grabbed the data on the blue path, looped around, touched an orb and got the red path.

Fun change alert! Bubbler was updated to BubbleSpread (BubSpread) by the translators.

This place isn't really a maze, either. Which is good, since the road is meant to simulate highways.

I dunno, have you seen some of the highways in DC? Things look like an architect spilled his spaghetti and then used that as the design.

Nothing we haven't seen before.

There we go. The stop signal is permanently on STOP, which will cause traffic backup for days, but it's better than the alternative. ...or is it?

I'd say it is. Plus, when we jack out, everything's conveniently set up that we can walk across, no problems.

Yeah, all they have to do is kill a few viruses. Plebs.

Wow, pathetic.

:shrug:

The e-mail loving came from the https://www. The email sender literally said "Your WWW". Jesus Christ.

It's like if you got an email saying "Nigerian Scammer" and then still fell for the prince offering you a million dollars.

3-for-3 literally.

"No, you're the bad guy." :geno:

Stunning conversationalist, our Lan is.

This bitch just went there.

Oh poo poo, she's going after the dog. Someone call John Wick.

I want that son of a bitch dead! I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burnt to the ground!

The Boogeyman comes.

Nah, we'll be fine. Our family is full of competent NetBattlers who didn't need saving.

Literally taking two steps.

Thanks, Blinkie. You always pull through when you're needed.

I forgot that Caller ID wasn't really used in BN1. MegaMan should have known who this was prior to the call request finishing.

And if our hero Lan Hikari doesn't score at least a Busting Level of 7 in every virus encounter, this bus will explode!

It's like Speed, except worse and stupider in every way.

Alright, I won't give Mayl as much poo poo for this one. But she should at least jack in and inspect the problem.

She really doesn't have that much time. And it's possible there's no jack in port on the inside of the bus.

Our first time seeing Jellys. They move up and down in their row and will eventually unleash an unavoidable attack. Some players may detest the very idea of something like that, but you get more than enough time.

Boo.

It's not like you need money or anything. You get enough from the random battles.

I think this marks us having all 5 Escapes for that trade. I'm not sure I want to give them up since it means I'll have 0 Escape chips. It's not that I run away...I just like seeing my library in my pack.

As a kid, I always tried to get some sort of Escape PA, but didn't realize that it wouldn't happen.

The maps are marginally helpful here, letting you better plan out your routes. It'd be even better if they marked the orbs on the map. It wouldn't have been very hard, either. Capcom why.

That being said, the answer is "Go straight, then take the last right before the orb". They're not hard.

I do dig the slight escalation of danger this dungeon tries to use. As I said, Battle Network tries to use its narrative and setting in a way the other games simply don't. This contributes to how weird it feels from the rest of the series. It's not a bad thing, for sure.

And we're already meeting HeatJellys (V2).

Yoink.

Grabbed this too while I was here.

"Hang on a sec Mayl just gotta grind up some chips from these viruses."

Drat. I shouldn't have virus busted those extra few seconds away. Time to get to the next bus stop.

This is entirely your fault.

drat, she makes calls to taunt you, too. Just like Mr. Match, yeesh.

I'm not sure that's how this works.

...It's... I'm not very good with engines/cars in general, so I don't know, but any machine flowing backwards will probably screw something up.

Lan? Call the Officials. She was last seen in the area. Get her rear end arrested.

You literally know what she looks like, you know where she is, just... do something.

This map just looks like loads of fun doesn't it.

There's two orbs on either side of Giver. Flicker effects!

Yoink.

Much like Bubbler, Heater became HeatSpread to reflect Battle Network 2's naming conventions.

Comp 1 -- 800 Zennys

Comp 3 -- 500 Zennys

Why?

Because you get all your zenny from viruses, duh.

Mettaur and Swordy3's. Nice. There are also Swordy2's, but they're not much for showing.

We finally see Powie2's. Now we can complete the Quake chip series and maybe use HeavyStamp offscreen

I use it in my folder, it's fine.

Score.

I'll just take my C-code, thank you very much.

Only place to get this code, incidentally.

It's worth noting that Lan and Megaman have another chat during the dungeon, though it's more of the same.

The pink barriers actually touch the bus, slowing it down a tad.

I don't see how Lan is actually getting ahead of the bus, unless it's moving around in circles.

Apparently the bus driver has control over the vehicle, but can't slow down or get the passengers off? I guess.

Notice how there are no spaces in Mayl's subject line. You can just feel her nervousness seeping through to her message. It's the little things, honestly. I can't even give Mayl poo poo for this.

What's this? Actual sympathy welling up inside me?

...Nah.

I think that's heartburn. Stop being you, maybe it'll help.

Second-to-last computer. Yep, there are 5 areas.

Much better. Thank you.

But... but your virus battles! What will you do if you don't need zenny?

We make a loop-de-loop and pull...and your dungeon's looking good.

Free HP Memory is the best HP memory since I won't be buying them for a good while.

We finally see Ammonicule1's. We did need the first level of their chip.

Call me your pescetarian.

That joke makes no sense.

Why yes, there are Level 1 Canodumbs in this area. Because that's interesting. Why not a Canodumb3. Jesus.

Flicker effects, but the barrier spawns right here, really catching the bus and slowing it down significantly.

Man, these cars... I don't understand how they work at all.

It's actually slow enough for us to run ahead of it. It's that slow, so I'm curious as to why the people on the bus don't try to jump out the window. Break the windows, people!

But if they jumped out, they'd break all their antiques! Also, the jack-in is entirely automatic at this point.

Final computer. And this line right here introduces another bug that was never fixed in Battle Network 1. Everytime you read this line, the encounter rate resets. So if you abuse it, no virus encounters during this segment. I'm not going to do that, but there's your tip for the day.

Huh, that's actually neat. Maybe they do variable changes before checking if you can actually jack out? Neat.

We need to hit 4 switches this time. The aim is to trap the bus in an intersection, forcing the autodrive machine to completely stop.

C-code is top tier.

1/4

I approve of this drop. Approve so, so much.

I'm not so much of a fan. It just seems... excessive.

2/4 And would you look at this funny looking puzzle.

3/4

The puzzle is easier than it looks, you can only go in one direction more than a few steps.

Halfway through the game, so far the dungeon drops appear to be mostly identical between OSS and BN1.

There we go. Canodumb 3 is in a single encounter in the entire area of Traffic Comp 3. Just go to Undernet 9 and find him there.

4/4

You did it!

Hah. You're boxed in.

...That's not even a pun?

Yeah Ms.Madd. Call and get mad about how we just won.

Now that? That's a pun. :argh:

Translators PLS.

I can't imagine her without a Valley Girl accent, so they're pretty spot-on in my opinion.

Activated? So was it on a timer, or were you literally screwing with us and just decided to push the button. I prefer the latter as it's cooler.

Wow, what a bitch.

That would have killed Lan, too, based on proximity. Like, drat.

So close to ending Part 1 early. And then the protagonist would be Ms. Madd! Wielder of Wheel of Fortune!

About time! Is Mayl literally the only person on that bus?

I can't believe this plan was foiled because ColorMan got horny.

Roll, being a civilian (though customized heavily) NetNavi stands no chance against a hacker's NetNavi. Only Officials and MegaMan's special origin can fight them.

"No, you idiot, of course I'm not okay!"

I suppose this answers my question. Madd/ColorMan have to actively push a button, otherwise Roll's distraction is irrelevant.

We need to get our mail!

...I know that pun sucked.

Gods drat it Giver.

Look at the map. The platform is the bus' net, hence why it doesn't appear in Traffic Comp 5 proper. I guess.

Oh, that's actually pretty neat. I never noticed that before.

:staredog:

I. Hate. Clowns.

Sir. Take your ball off the girl.

Sir this is sexual harrassment, please stop.

The dude hops up over Roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4BPG722o7k

ColorMan's attacks all go straight and turn once, so, if you had trouble, then you sucked.

I got hit a few times because I stopped giving a drat and just held speed-up the whole time.

Hm. Red and blue roads. Faux-Red(pink) and Blue NetNavi. Hmmmmm.

Is this game trying to tell us they'll be paired up or something. :tinfoil:

Or maybe they're just telling us that blue and red are excellently contrasting colors and work well in a color palette together.

Wow. Just wow. Lan thinks saving Mayl is annoying. drat. When did he become more like me? Even I don't think Mayl could have realistically done anything different. Her Navi isn't meant to fight hackers.

It was annoying, though. Plus Lan's still kind of a little poo poo in this game.

MegaMan is trying to be a wingman. Dammit, Lan!

He's trying really, really hard.

That's right. Forget about Lan peeking in on you earlier. Just forget alllll about it.

See? Lan gets it. Despite all who claim otherwise.

Nothing's worse than getting roasted by your sentient PDA.

Well, what do you expect? I mentioned last update the effects of Lan's father not being around. Plus, the kid's 11.

He just doesn't understand women.

Mayl walks off, but no, Roll, you're the dense one. Lan does get it, in the small way his kid brain can comprehend it. Girls grow faster so she has a better idea of it.

Morons.

Yeah, let's just make fun of the kid for not getting something it's entirely possible he is literally not old enough to comprehend.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Bonus Update: yopyop Is GodTier

No Yeti here with me, today. It;s the update you've all been waitingnot waiting for!

YAAAAY. MINIGAMES.

I'll just link the video. This showss off using MegaMan(BN), MegaMan(SF) and ProtoMan to take down Bass. You can unlock Bass as playable character, but only after 50 multiplayer matches. Sadly I can't show this off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td7a8LVN2zI

It's possible to stack up your bombs -- you'll see this at multiple points. Have a bomb, stand near another Bomb Item pick-up. When Bass draws near, you press B, quickly pick up the other bomb and press B again. It takes some practice, and I even flub it a bit, but this is how you kill Bass really quickly.

When you die, Bass will usually speed up by a factor of 2 and just outright kill you. I got lucky at the end with finding Super Speed Up and catching him with a bomb.

It's possible to go up to 3, but that all depends on how the bombs decide to spawn. I've never seen it go beyond a 3-hit, so I doubt anymore is feasible.

When you lose, Mr.Prog gives helpful hints. The hints he gives in multiplayer differs from the one in the story, and in fact, the multiplayer hints tell you how to unlock GutsMan *.

If you win in under 2 minutes, you get a total of 20 points, vs. 55 for 1 minute. I don't like the steep drop. They should have divided the tiers by another 30 seconds. 1 min. 1:30 and 2 minutes.

It's possible to get it under a minute, but the bomb spawns and Bass' initial speed all play a factor, and so, a lot of it is luck-based if you want to go for a certain time.

Yes. I had over 1,000 from just playing. Remember, these rewards are all infinite.

Just the usual grind. Anyways, that's it! Hope you like the minigame.

giver336 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 1, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
The meat and potatoes update (update 11) should be up by tomorrow. Thanks to all who waited; I had to deal with some hectic real-life circumstances.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Discendo Vox posted:

You're giving me a beautiful mental image of a giver LP of that game. Comprehensive.

I got all 243 chips in that game and beat the 100-battle tournament. Why must you make me do it again?

:negative:

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update 11: Handyman

You shake that cane, Wily.

Dangnabbit, those kids screwed it up!

This stuttering while upset won't reflect in future games. Maybe Wily got used to a 11 year old foiling his plots.

They were still working out the kinks of the characters. All of the ACDC kids got less abrasive, Wily lost the stutter... Too bad Dad didn't show up more.

...Did Wily have the ability to bring down DenTown from the getgo? I wonder why he didn't just do that. Wanted to escalate fear?

Dear lord that smile looks painful. This guy's dentist must love him.

"Many days." So far, this game's story has taken place over, what, two months?

At least time is passing at all and it's not concentrated in one intense week or something.

Well, it's after-school. So it's been at least 3 hours. Eh, he's a growing kid, what do you expect?

That just means Lan needs to eat some dunch. Something small should be good, don't want to ruin dinner.

MegaMan Legends references +1

Man, now I'm sad about Legends 3 again.

Geez MegaMan, don't be so mad.

He's not mad, just disappointed.

And he wants us to meet at 7 in SciLab's Lobby. Alright, we have 4 hours. You'd think the parties would be known much further ahead of time. I suppose Dr.Hikari's busy schedule meant he was unsure of his attendance.

To hell with that, we have a lot of "extra curricular" activities to do, first.

Mom probably needs some time to get ready and stop throwing things because her husband accepted a party invite with four hours notice.

Finally, we get the WWW Pin. But spoiler alert, I forgot to cash in on those rewards this update so I could get this out faster. Yeti, you have a few more updates of life.

I suppose I should be grateful for the respite. Except I know that just means next update is going to be awful.

Like Old Man Dentures, BN1 gives us another random NPC sidequest. These are lesser-known in this game since they aren't clear as to where to find them.

Right. Let's go get his account details back.

Near the Metroline? Was there an actual bank, or did he just give the cash to some Mr. Prog for safe-keeping?

You can find Hammer M for free in Undernet 10, so, this is a poo poo trade.

Leave.

But... but she wants to be friends. Giver, you're mean!

From Miss Echelon:

GIVE ME ROLL V3

Oh? Let's have GeneralYeti assume player control shall we? We want to give Dex a fair fight.

I only have trouble with these fights because I give precisely zero fucks and smash the speed-up key like it's the world's easiest game of Whack-A-Mole.

: Lyin' loving piece of poo poo. I won fair and square!

Eat a dick, Giver. And then choke on it.

: The gently caress you lookin' at?

As a kid, I always thought they meant adult books, like books adults would read. Though whatever Dex likes looking at is his own business, I ain't gonna judge.

We didn't; you just admitted to it.

Once again, their attacks only go straight. This should be no issue.

Just stay out of the back row and you're fine.

Pay day!

Hooray! You don't have to fight viruses for a while.

Super pay day! I forget if this is a temporary reward, so you might want to cash this in as soon as possible.

We have a lot of fights to do. Three, in fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Htts5jIJ00

Thank you, good sir.

Masa was already good, but this made him great.

After this scenario or the next, I'll cash this in.

WoodMan2's power has been increased from 80 to 100
WoodMan3's power has been increased from 100 to 130

Still not very good, in my opinion.

It's... eh. Woodman's Woodman.

IceMan2's power has been increased from 80 to 100
IceMan3's power has been increased from 100 to 120

Definitely your preferred spot to farm TriSpears.

: You fin fucks got this NetBattla gunnin'
Meat is murder, but them fish had it comin'

: Omega-3 fatty data run deep
But don't sleep
The Zenny you pay is too steep

And the map looks like a fishbone, how cute.

: I never seen a fish who ain't a punk rear end bitch

This series is usually pretty creative about the unique comps.

: Got a hot yacht parked off the jetty
Make these fish dead like Gen.Yeti

*drops mike and flips off the crowd*

Dude wants a Cannonball H (Howitzer H) for his BusterPunch C. We'll take!

See what I mean about the quests being unclear and somewhat random? I bet most of you didn't even find this quest.

What, you mean you didn't go and talk to every NPC after every scenario?

MissEchelon. Picture. Now.

Here's your dang prog.

Here's the original text from Battle Network 1:

Hey idiots, the cause is literally 20 feet from you.

Ah, they know how to properly write repairmen in this game. 'Catching a criminal's not in the job description. That'll be 10000 zenny, please.'

Our first time meeting Froshells. Too bad you can't expect the IronShield chip from this fight.

I really don't know why WWW wanted someone's soda. Gotta keep the hackers' thirst quenched?

Maybe this was some rogue hacker.

...GAME

THIRD TIME YOU PUT THIS REWARD. Yes, it's for a Program Advance, but STOP.

But are you sure you got it the first two times.

...I completely forgot you can jack into here.

Not too bad. I wonder when's the earliest you could jack into here.

I'd assume the first time you visited.

Just saving up until I can buy everything

Now I'm picturing a Prog somehow carrying buckets of clean water for people to drink.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice is playing in my head. They're carrying the buckets by the ears.

: BattleChips in the front
BattleChips in the back
That fish bitch will see this black

Oh, someone called for an encore.

That should be the last one I needed access to. No more silly homepages.

For the upcoming fight, I ended up recording ColorMan V2. Soon after, I ended up getting ColorMan V3 quickly after a grind session. So I'll just show that one for efficiency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urBVXBae_Co

ColorMan's power has been increased from 90 to 120
ColorManV2's power has been increased from 110 to 140
ColorManV3's power has been increased from 130 to 160

A nice 30 point boost. It doesn't really turn any individual fight from not killing to a kill, but it's still helpful against bosses.

I need this specific one to test Program Advances later. They changed GutsShoot, so it may be worthwhile to see if anything else changed.

C-COOOOODE (Until I can get Gaia3 C more reliably)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzRNaumGiU4

No bones about it, this Navi's easy.

SkullMan has been changed to D code to break up the S-superiority of the Navi chips.

I have no idea why it's D. Unless this is some weird joke about a certain bone?

...dig.

No. She wants us to give up the PowerCannon PA for a Recov300 L. Mind you, I'll need to do this trade for library completion, but that's after I checked all the PAs for any noteworthy changes.

Like, no way in hell are we giving you these amaaazing chips, dude.

This is not actually a quest. Good thing they relegated side missions to a board for clarity in future games.

Since it's not a quest, they can stay separated I guess.

Thank you, Battle Network 1.

Kids, jot that down in your notebooks, I guess. :regd09:

...Thank you, Battle Network 1? ...Why though.

That's enough procrastinating of the plot, I guess.

Except it was last-minute. Disorganized SciLab is disorganized.

But I thought we had 4 hours. Wait, I grinded too much, nevermind.

No kid has never had that 'Oh yeah I need this permission slip signed for class today, thanks Mom'.

You're going like that, Lan? Uhh? Gotta save on spritework somehow!

Dad pretty much sleeps in his office. Which sucks. I always thought the father just gets home late, but this is framed like Lan never sees his dad.

It's kinda sad, to be honest. Even if Dad did come home, he's probably getting back after Lan goes to sleep and leaving before he wakes up.

God. SHUT UP

We were invited, dickwad.

MegaMan, do you have anything to add? :geno:

"Hmph." "I hate all who aren't strong." "Hmph."

It's always annoying when people just walk away. Stand still so I can insult you back, coward!

Come to think of it, the last few times MegaMan says "dad", he explicitly says "your dad". So as to not give it away. Good job on at least that much.

Those two sentences don't seem to jive too well with each other. Unless there's some backstory behind waiting a long time affecting your health.

It was probably a weird idiom in Japanese that didn't localize well, is my guess. Translators can confirm if they care.

"Psst, son. Women always take a long time to get ready. They make you wait on purpose while you sit there in the cold. Don't stand for it." --My Dad to me when I was younger.

Sit for it, instead. Or get some squats in.

Well, that wasn't really long at all, all things considered. :psyduck:

We go underground.

Why is a restaurant underground? Nevermind, the answer is 'Because SciLab'.

and is burned in the power plant to create electricity.

SciLab -- Leaders in Global Warming.

Garbage in, garbage out.

see it's also a programming joke

this area is still surrounded by water.

Underwater? We're doomed.

This lady mentions that some brand of PETs are made from recycled plastic bottles. This makes the scene in StarForce 1 where people threw away their PETs in the garbage look even dumber!

That's right, PETs are 100% recyclable.

*gulp*

You know, we can probably get Dr.Hikari to fire this man.

"My Dad writes your paycheck, by the way. So maybe don't?"

Instead, let's be a thief.

440 now. Who needs to buy HP when you have masterful dodging skills and chips to buy.

This is what we needed, folks. Why yes, I'm getting mixed messages.

SciLab: Let's make a PET that's good for the environment! Also SciLab: Hurr durr how do I get my cola from the vending machine

Easy place to farm CannonBall H for that trade upstairs.

Sweet.

Thunder2 (BN1): B C F I L
Thunder2 (OSS): C F I L *

No, no, no, no, don't do it. Don't go there.

Dr. Hikari please do not start talking about work. You are with your family. Your work-life balance is hosed enough as it is.

You're gonna bring this up NOW? :psyduck:

The PET is different, too? It must be in order to hold MegaMan's immense data.

There's a GangsterDex joke about holding his immense something or other in here, I know it.

Please report to the lab immediately.

Saved by the bell?

This is actually sad.

Lan was a lot more affected by his dad's absence in this game. Probably because he didn't have a group of friends to play with.

There is a cutscene fade. And Lan's position has changed. Probably should have changed the positions of the other NPCs, too, if you ask me.

Can you imagine security letting this guy inside? Holding electric orbs in his hands?

They thought he was the hired clown.

World 3 throws parties? INVITE ME.

This is either a party where you kill people or a party where you die and either way I'm down.

No, a really big...blackout!!

Disco dance?

I can't even see myself think!

I like that Zap glows in the dark.

Count Zap, how are you going to get out? Supply power to your one escape route? It better be obscure lest someone finds it.

He bribed a Prog earlier, the scumbag.

We can use the PET as a flashlight, right? Not much, but it's a start.

Or...that.

So there's some source of light somewhere, but it's very faint. Probably emergency lights or something.

Unfortunately, Count Zap took out my power, so this is the furthest I can go. Until next time.

------------------------------------------

government_spending.txt

giver336 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 7, 2018

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Sent the new update to Yeti. Depending on his schedule, it'll be up the usual time, or a bit later.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The next update better include you going back to be friends with that girl. :smith:

I went back and included MissEchelon's and Yeti's pictures.

Updated the post with Thunder2's codes.

GIF to hold you over. Looks like most of the PAs are still hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #12: MissEchelon's Opinion of This Update Shall Be Binary; Love It Or Hate It

Oh boy, we're jumping down an incinerator...in the dark. Loads of fun.

Well, if it were ON, it wouldn't be very dark.

This part is a little silly. We have to talk to this guy...

...Then talk to him earlier up in the same room...

...Before it opens up. Huh.

Early video game scripting at its finest.

: Jacking in now is suicide! Don't you know that an un-powered computer means your phone can't charge!? Idiot.

: Better than being useless like every other adult.

: Shut up.

Hmm... Something tells me that's not the actual dialogue...

Good theory. We don't need to worry about the battery if we can fix the problem quickly enough. The problem is that I grind.

: Lan I'm getting real tired of this crap. Just loving do it already or I'll tell everyone how you were mean to that little girl.

It's a good thing I was there, or he wouldn't have been friends with her at all! Also, good timing from Blinky. "Your Mom will die! ...And I guess everyone else too..."

Wait, what. Security? In my Battle Network? Say it ain't so!

Apparently we broke it in a few seconds...? :shrug:

They must have the virtual equivalent of a rusty padlock holding the door shut.

Many people found this to be a problem when they first played. I can see why, since the viruses assume you have full HP. Guess you should have grinded in the postgame like I did. And guess what, you can run away from the viruses in here pretty easily, so no whining. :smuggo:

But you can't jack out, MegaMan says something to the effect of "the battery is running low, so let's beat the WWW virus."

Kinda lovely. Not that I need it, but kinda lovely.

Remember, this is back before HP was constant and only healed when you jacked out, so encounters are designed way differently. Also remember that there's only one save file. It's entirely possible to save when you're at very low HP and then be screwed.

The first tweak in this dungeon: the invisible paths appear briefly, showing you where to go. This is obviously very helpful. However, many times the paths will cross like in this screenshot and it will outright confuse you as to which path you're supposed to be on.

Capcom could have at least color-coordinated the little circles. Come on now.

This is incredibly useful, and a much-needed change. Thank you for updating this and realizing that invisible paths are absolute garbage 90% of the time.

Note: the maps do show what "level" you're on. Really light-green for top. And darker shades of green the further you go down, so it's something.

At least you have a map.

Weak trash we've seen elsewhere.

Sure, it looks like I can talk to this Prog. But he's actually below me. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Of course, despite the improvements, it's still the Power Plant, everyone's least-favorite dungeon from BN1. And that's including one where the 'dungeon' is Internet Area 2.

This really should have been Ratton1 E considering the virus doesn't drop it in that code. Game, please.

They updated the switch graphics, so, uh, yay? But you'll notice the best change in this dungeon in this shot: the batteries can be infinitely retried without the need to recharge. This...this is good, but only in the sense that it removes the needless backtracking from the original.

To me, the dungeon's biggest issue was that you couldn't reasonably decipher the exact spots the batteries were supposed to go. You get a hint that says "don't place batteries adjacent to each other", but that still leaves a few possible combinations as to what spot it could be. They don't provide further hints on that, and so, you're forced to reload your save, or recharge the batteries each time you want to try them.

You could have conceivably kept the batteries at 2 tries, but gave the player solid hints to figure it out. Sure, some players would soft-reload anyway, but it'd be more fair to figure out on a first-time's perspective. People like me wouldn't mind fighting the viruses, and it'd feel good to figure it out.

In the end, the dungeon design is built around trial-and-error, and no amount of changes will really fix that unless they went back and redid the entire thing. Which, given what we've seen so far, is way more effort than the dev team was willing to put in, paid to do, or any other number of reasons.

Basically. Game devs. If you have a 'put thing in empty slot' puzzle, make drat sure a player given enough time to think can solve it on their first try. Anything else is pointless time-wasting.

The money has been appreciated, but the drop is worthless.

"I'm not altered! I'm not altered!" as he slowly becomes a corn cob.

Oh no, what happened to his other ear? It's been detached!

MissEchelon, you're going to hate me. I'm not sorry.

Dead Prog: 1

Kill them all :black101:

Don't worry, little guy. I'll blow you to pieces soon enough.

Put him out of his misery, like Old Yeller

Gonna keep a running tally on the dead prog count when I hit a new area. We're up to 2 so far.

Yay, they kept it!

My favorite Prog in the dungeon! slaughter it without mercy

BN1's shops are super expensive, so keep 'em coming.

And you don't have to purchase the Armors, too.

We can finally meet the Level 1 of these guys. I won't blame the game for this since I went way out-of-order.

Grabbed this since a Program Advance requires it in G-code. After checking, it seems as if the Storm PA wasn't buffed since Battle Network 1. :eng99:

The Progs themselves upgrade. Now they'll start using AreaGrab. Yay. Worth noting that Level 1 Corrupted Progs (Prog MK1) are random encounters in Area 2.

Music to my ears.

RingZap1 (BN1): G H M N P
RingZap1 (OSS): G H N P *

They're good at this whole 'giving the player ridiculous amounts of Asterisk code' thing, huh?

...Son of a bitch.

I just realized this game gave a very subtle hint this whole time. Look at the positions of the lightbulbs. See how they're sorta lined up with the rows? Well, combine your knowledge of "never being adjacent" and use the lightbulbs and you've figured it out.

It's still not great, because it doesn't cut down the possibilities of the battery placements to within 2 tries.

It's also possible that Giver and I are having confirmation bias, and finding 'hints' where there are none. The number of 'hints' we spotted makes me think that it's more than a coincidence, but who knows for certain.

These Progs should have been vehicles to dispense more relevant hints. Do that, and the player rage will cut down by about 40%.

Plus, the dialogue is stilted and weird. I'm not ashamed to admit that the first time I played this game as a young kid, I had no idea what this Prog meant.

You needed to do a bit more to convey this puzzle, Interns, but that's Capcom for you.

The interns did their best, be nice.

We are up to 17 Dead Progs due to my grinding in the last area. Ho-hum.

You can find Twisty1's starting in Area 3. As dead as the rest, honestly. You can now find Prog Mk2's as a random encounter, so I guess I'm about to grind a looot more. Still not sorry, Echelon.

We're never getting art again, are we?

Great. Escalation of the trial-and-error. I must profusely thank the infinite battery retries.

Save-states are my best friend here.

See this? It's a dead-end. Interns!

That's right, ease the pain.

Faux-gangster prog.

I'm lookin' at you, punk.

...pink Prog!? OH NO MISSECHELON.

GIVER NO

I have killed her.

For a BattleChip.

What have I become!?

Nothing you weren't already.

I'm not evil! I just wanted BattleChips! Don't tread on meeeeee

He who fights viruses must take care to not become a virus himself.

NOOOO. FORGIVE ME PROGS. FORGIVE MEEEE

For if you gaze too long into the code, the code will also gaze into you.

Use only two of these bad boys...

Put the 3rd battery right here to open up the path to the right. The lightbulbs don't even line up correctly. Dammit, developers. I was going to give you more cool design points.

Yep. That means the 'hints' we saw earlier are probably nothing at all.

Now we grab these, and go back to the other square and find out the correct slot. But I need to worry about a minigame, first.

I'm actually in the other square with the lone battery with the blue path. So now I have all 3 with me.

Gah, even playing along I'm still lost.

: Holy crap. So you aren't useless.

Twenty seconds to Mash B. You'll just keep doing this if you run out of battery. I have good hands, so this is easily taken care of.

You know, this game might be trying to tell me something about my chip addiction. Something is coming to me...

I swear off excessive grinding.

The first step is to admit you have a problem. Good job.

RingZap2 (BN1): C E G J L
RingZap2 (OSS): C E J L *

And now I rescind that. Let's press on!

Wait poo poo you skipped steps 2 through 10!

Correct solution for this new square. So I still have one last battery with me.

UGH. Epee Em had to recharge them all the time. His pain far surpasses mine.

Put down one battery to open up another bridge. Go back and grab the batteries that opened up the red and green paths.

Grab those two batteries, disconnect the single battery from the previous screenshot, flip the switch.

Use our last battery to open up a new path here.

Lost, yet?

You'll notice I'm not really commenting much during the puzzle-solving sections. That's because... Well, what do you want from me. It's a puzzle where you run back and forth. Giver is barely adequate for the task, there's not much for me to say.

Dead Prog total is sitting at a comfortable 67. Yes.

Kill two and then no more ever.

New code, I'll take it.

Well, if he asks, you oblige. See? This game is incentivizing Prog murder!

Prog euthanasia. Legal grey line.

Just look at this wasted text box. There could have been so many other hints here.

They do this sort of hint-giving thing a little bit better in BN5, with the ninja dungeon puzzle.

As of right now, I peaked over 100,000 Zenny. I'm still going to hoarde more for shops so I can do a huge shopping spree.

Yeesh, MissEchelon multiplied and is now a random encounter. This escalation. I kinda like this escalation from a challenge standpoint.

I can officially say she's been S-ranked.

That sounds... weird.

And we're done. They had mercy in Area 4.

Oh, right. The air. That's a thing. I completely forgot.

Lan's been shouting this whole time and that means he's using up everyone else's air. What a jerk.

Localized power. The rest of SciLab simply didn't pay their bills.

This is what you get when the janitorial budget gets slashed for more PET development, guys.

You know what that means. Boss time!

Note: if you run out of battery power while Lan sits in the generator room, you get a little scene:

quote:

The dude hauled rear end all the way to the generator room to save us. I take back everything I might have said.

He has a sixth sense for being helpful!

Earlier in the story, Lan seemed to have a vague idea about them when they thought the AquaProgram was part of a SuperProgram. I suppose there's no reason to directly assume the ElecProgram is a SuperProgram, but giving the naming convention...come on now.

So you remember this fight, right? You aren't supposed to win because of the generator infinitely supplying ElecMan with HP. Let's do what Giver does and try to break this.

I hope you fail.

Modified my folder quite substantially. LockOn2 G's, WoodTower *, and GutsShoot Program Advance all over.

To set this up, we'll use our FastGauge *. If you're just reading the Main section from the archives, then just know that I grinded for this in Star Coliseum. The relevant info on that is in the Bonus section.

Change note: The OSS interns added the sound effect for the arrow's tick like in later Battle Network games.

My main strategy is to put this chip down and within a slew of rapid hits, kill ElecMan so fast he doesn't get to heal. Anytime he goes below 551 HP, his next move will always be a move that heals him to full HP. This happens 3 times before the fight ends.

There is, however, a small weakness: If ElecMan is doing another move, he can't do the heal-move until he's finished with whatever he's doing. This gives us some more time to reduce his HP to 0. GutsShoot does 400 damage in OSS (500 in BN1), so if we wait for this, and combo it with LockOn2, we can actually force the game to register a kill before he can heal. :getin:

There is no timelimit, so we can sit and wait for our setup for as long as we need.

Step 1: Get him as close to 550 HP as possible.
Step 2: Await the perfect hand (LockOn2 + GutsShoot).
Step 3: Wait for ElecMan to do a move with a long animation.
Step 4: Pelt him with fully charged shots and LockOn2 (hope your buster is well-developed)
Step 5: Pop GutsShoot the minute his HP dips below 400.

Step 6: ???
Step 7: Profit

Kinda like this.

EAT poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQCKe70zRdc

So this is a new cutscene where-ah, gently caress it.

I appreciate that you decided not to be the bigger rear end in a top hat today.

:eng99:

I tried, guys. I tried. drat, Capcom. Why do you always cover your bases!?

drat interns did something right. ...By copying what the old dungeon did. Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd reprogrammed the fight somehow and added in a scripting error.

You know... who in the thread wishes they did more with this concept? Can you imagine a dungeon where there's a nigh-invincible enemy roaming the corridor, and you have to weaken it? That'd be fun and trigger emotions you don't normally think of when playing.

Alternatively, go play Paper Mario.

Lan that is an active generator. Do not touch.

This kid's heart should have stopped. What does Lan eat that lets him survive this?

His Wheaties, obviously.

ElecMan shares my face.

"What the gently caress did that kid just do and how is he not dead."

Fast forward a bit...

ElecMan actually still hits pretty hard -- 200 damage, ala BN1. It seems as if for most other enemies, they merely halved their damage to account for lack of armors, but not ElecMan!

I also appreciate that even winning here is pointless, the bad guys still got away with it in the end. Now that I'm older, I can understand the lack of narrative agency a little bit more, but as a kid that was super frustrating.

But we broke it in under 30 seconds, why the hell did it take you, an Official NetNavi, so long!?

Dr. Hikari's talents are hereditary, it seems.

ProtoMan says they lured ElecMan here with fake data...but spoiler alert, that plothole from the original is still here. As in, ElecMan got the real ElecProgram. Now, whether or not ProtoMan is just trying to cover his own failure and he's just bluffing is still headcanon.

Because Chaud is allowed to delete civilian NetNavis? :geno:

That's kinda hosed up.

So to translate, he got mad that he screwed up and is taking it out on Lan for no real reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjI4fo6aMBM

Man, this just isn't his day. Upstaged by a kid. Hell, ProtoMan took so long that even if we hadn't interfered, ElecMan might have gotten away!

Plus, as MegaMan pointed out, restoring power was more important; there were civilians in danger. And yet Chaud let his petty pride get in the way of doing what's right. He's too young to control his emotions to properly do his job.

Why the gently caress is Chaud allowed to serve at his age, again?

Because something something shounen rival.

Yes, MegaMan, because having the option to fight alone is a bad thing. Yes, you're stronger in a group, but that doesn't mean you don't forget to fight when no-one's around.

Everyone is a idiot these days.

Then again, MegaMan's buster is strong enough that he can probably take on most challenges solo. Not S-rank them, but still win.

ProtoMan's record:

W: 999
L: 1*

*Chaud's note: That Hikari boy is a piece of poo poo and I hate him.

"Dear Diary, today I got my butt beat by Dr. Hikari's son. He had to have cheated."

ProtoMan didn't have Chaud backing him up? Did Chaud not see the fight going south and step in? The gently caress?

Too busy sampling the shrimp tray in the main room. Remember, the power went out, so you have to eat it. What, that only applies to things in the refridgerator? No way.

...Is anyone going to restore power? Yes, this is a riveting discussion, but have it later! Lan, isn't your battery running out? :geno:

It's kinda unfair, since they're DNA Wondertwins. They get passive boosts that no other Navi-Operator team can get. ProtoMan asks this, but he'll never be able to eclipse Lan even if he worked more in tandem with Chaud.

Chaud's behavior is so toxic that ProtoMan doesn't really understand the concept of a friend. An abusive detective partner. Cops will generally want to be nice to the partner that saves their asses on cases.

Because he bribed someone important. Knowing the average compentency level of the Officials in this series, probably with about 100 zenny.

About time!

Oh right people are going to die.

And Chaud didn't even help with this small task. Wow. Chaud could have checked up on the crowd -- the people he's trying to protect. You know, cop poo poo?

To be fair, if you're chasing someone on the top 10 Most Wanted list, you're not going to stop to arrest someone that's jaywalking.

What, no third degree burns from the generator? Shouldn't Lan smell like ash?

With the electricty that was shocking him, his palms should roughly have the consistency of cooked pork.

Dad sent an e-mail to check on his family. Yes, he's busy with work, but he can just take the elevator. Not even a call. Hell, even if it was a black out, making a call should still work. I presume the calls are routed through the Internet? Which was up? It was only SciLab's power that was gone.

Poor Haruka barely got to see her husband. She got dressed up and everything. That must suck.

I feel like she had to have known what she was getting into when she married him, but yeah, that's gotta hurt.

Which puns do you hate more, Yeti? The game's or mine.

Yes.

giver336 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 15, 2018