Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

It's like a different type of gamer lie but whatever, i treasure this: in fifth grade we had to do history project where you and another kid were to make up a historical civilization, and my partner was the braindead kid in the class. But a day or two after it was assigned he gave me like five pages of bizarre but detailed lore, so I rolled with it and did a bunch of maps and portraits around what he wrote. I found out months later everything he gave me was copied from the Shaq Fu game manual

Omg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There was a kid in grade school who was always chock full of these. The first time he got me was the "Mew trick" which was some variant of play the game for 100 hours and then use strength on the truck or whatever, and I let my GB idle long enough to do it like a sucker. He also told people you could use the shiny triple jump to get over the castle wall to unlock Luigi. Never got to try that one myself before he moved away. He also told everyone he saw a Pikachu living under the school.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

When I was around 10 I went to the video store to rent a game and I really wanted Sonic 3. Luckily they had it that day but another kid saw me grab it and he must have really wanted it because he started telling me things about the game to try to dissuade me. He said when Sonic got hit by an enemy, he would start bleeding and just keep bleeding everywhere for the rest of the game. Needless to say this made me want to rent it even more

Lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

i did resident evil and halo stories for writing prompts in middle school standardized testing. one teacher used my re one as an example of a top-scoring essay and i found out someone in another class said i plagiarized even though they were ORIGINAL STORIES set in the universe, matt!!!!

In the third grade during some free time I drew a picture of a Final Fantasy 6 monster in my notebook and a teaching assistant was walking around and asked me what it was. When I said it was from a video game they lectured me about plagiarism, even though it was just some stupid bullshit I was drawing for my own amusement during recess but it still made me feel bad at the time. What a piece of poo poo.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
My best friend in third grade told me he had a text based game on his computer called “Spy Metroid”

The annoying little brother of some kids who came to visit told us if you held some buttons on the 2nd controller you could jump into pits in Megaman 3 without dying. That one turned out to be true, though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

It's like a different type of gamer lie but whatever, i treasure this: in fifth grade we had to do history project where you and another kid were to make up a historical civilization, and my partner was the braindead kid in the class. But a day or two after it was assigned he gave me like five pages of bizarre but detailed lore, so I rolled with it and did a bunch of maps and portraits around what he wrote. I found out months later everything he gave me was copied from the Shaq Fu game manual

LOL

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I wrote stories about Sonic and Donkey Kong Country for school when I was a kid. Also I remember one time we had to read stories out loud in third grade and I just started laughing uncontrollably because I remembered something I thought was funny from the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Whenever we could pick our own subject in fifth grade art class I would invariably draw Dragon Warrior 3 stuff. My favorite thing to draw based on what was saved was the mage

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In Training posted:

There was a kid in grade school who was always chock full of these. The first time he got me was the "Mew trick" which was some variant of play the game for 100 hours and then use strength on the truck or whatever, and I let my GB idle long enough to do it like a sucker. He also told people you could use the shiny triple jump to get over the castle wall to unlock Luigi. Never got to try that one myself before he moved away. He also told everyone he saw a Pikachu living under the school.

In the lead up to Gold and Silver coming out there were so many insane lies being told it would make your head swim. Pikachu getting an evolution beyond Raichu if you used a second stone. The secret legendary would be Mewthree. You'd be able to fly across the whole world real time on Lugia's back. It didn't help that there were a proliferation of bootleg Pokemon magazines everywhere at the time that featured poorly translated dossiers of new Pokemon with hand drawn approximations of their sprites

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The same kid who said all this poo poo (he also said you could get Togepi in RBY) was also the same kid who told everyone insane made up anime predictions like Goku would go SSJ5 to defeat Buu and that Elder Toguro would kill Hiei

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

GorfZaplen posted:

Whenever we could pick our own subject in fifth grade art class I would invariably draw Dragon Warrior 3 stuff. My favorite thing to draw based on what was saved was the mage

for some reason i thought the super mario rpg 3d renders were incredibly advanced depictions of light and shadow, so i’d draw from the strategy guide constantly. the enjoyment of shading a nice orb has never left me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

for some reason i thought the super mario rpg 3d renders were incredibly advanced depictions of light and shadow, so i’d draw from the strategy guide constantly. the enjoyment of shading a nice orb has never left me

Taking an art class and it's time to learn about chiaroscuro. Suddenly the teacher dramatically rips the cloth off the easel to reveal a beautifully-rendered oil painting of Geno the possessed living doll man

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

HolePisser1982 posted:

Amazing.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

In Training posted:

He also told everyone he saw a Pikachu living under the school.

lmao

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
me, age 8: Geno stands as a pillar, cape parted, his nakedness bared before god. 12”x17”, acrylic on panel
teaching assistant: Nintendo’s IPs are theirs alone. Expelled for plagiarism effective immediately

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
I told one kid at school to click open on a gate in runescape and rub a TV remote on his computer tower at the same time to get more gold.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My friend told everyone that he unlocked a video at the end of DMC1 where Dante fucks Trish band he took great pains to describe Dante’s huge Donkey Dick.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

completing the tutorial in this gives you 100 lootboxes, which is going to take me longer to open than it took to finish the tutorial.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Just played the tutorial for no reason. Thanks a lot man.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Just played the tutorial for no reason. Thanks a lot man.

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It gives you 200k favor, and its 2k favor per lootbox.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Come play, my lord

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

HolePisser1982 posted:

LmO

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

I only got 40k green coins and 2 reliquaries.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got 200k and a free character. Maybe because I have the free version and not the paid version.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I got 200k and a free character. Maybe because I have the free version and not the paid version.

Me too. weird.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

where were you when you got tricked by “press alt+f4 to ____”

counter-strike 1.1, and i was so pissed he got to see me disconnect

WC3 battle.net multiplayer, they told me it was the command to select all your workers

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

WC3 battle.net multiplayer, they told me it was the command to select all your workers

lmfao.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fargield posted:

I told one kid at school to click open on a gate in runescape and rub a TV remote on his computer tower at the same time to get more gold.

Lmao

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I remember being told that you can revive Aeris in Final Fantasy 7 but you have to do a sidequest first that requires you to get back inside Midgar before Aeris permanently leaves the group. It involved helping the man living in the pipe in Sector 5 to get a special materia that let you go underwater and recover her body so you could bring her back to life. I started a new save file and tried everything to get into Midgar before the end of disc 1.

The only other internet rumor I ever fell for was finding the Triforce in Ocarina of Time and since every rumor involved finding all 100 gold skulltulas it was the driving force behind me eventually 100% completing Ocarina of Time so I guess some good came out of it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
me and my brother fell for the lara croft nude code scam, which involved diving off a certain pillar in a certain way in the tutorial mansion. we probably put like 5 hours into it.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

me, age 8: Geno stands as a pillar, cape parted, his nakedness bared before god. 12”x17”, acrylic on panel
teaching assistant: Nintendo’s IPs are theirs alone. Expelled for plagiarism effective immediately

lol

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

me and my brother fell for the lara croft nude code scam, which involved diving off a certain pillar in a certain way in the tutorial mansion. we probably put like 5 hours into it.

i rmemeber in a british gaming magazine they published an article about a tomb raider nude code. it was an action replay/gameshark code and it was 96 lines long and the readers letters in the next issue were full of people complaining that they spent 2 hours typing it in with the controller and all it did was turn her entire body pink

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

i rmemeber in a british gaming magazine they published an article about a tomb raider nude code. it was an action replay/gameshark code and it was 96 lines long and the readers letters in the next issue were full of people complaining that they spent 2 hours typing it in with the controller and all it did was turn her entire body pink

lmfao

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

My brother and I fell for the exact same hoax.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I.N.R.I posted:

perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

Lol

• Locked thread