Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Watch Lara Croft finally become the iconic Nude Raider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I.N.R.I posted:

i rmemeber in a british gaming magazine they published an article about a tomb raider nude code. it was an action replay/gameshark code and it was 96 lines long and the readers letters in the next issue were full of people complaining that they spent 2 hours typing it in with the controller and all it did was turn her entire body pink

that is masterful

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I played a bunch of TF2 on PC/360 at launch and then dropped it for a couple years and got back into it when it launched on Mac and I installed it on my school laptop... I had barely any knowledge of the content they'd added since launch (I played some of the Demoman vs Soldier update at a friends but that was it) item trading and crafting and all that stuff was all totally unknown to me, and the very first match I played someone convinced me that the iPod earbuds item was basically worthless and traded it to me for a scout shotgun or something (I think they're worth like $20 now). It wasn't until a few days later that I realized I got swindled and I've distrusted that game's entire community since, which ended up being the right choice because it spiraled into crafting/trading AIDS shortly after that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I played a bunch of TF2 on PC/360 at launch and then dropped it for a couple years and got back into it when it launched on Mac and I installed it on my school laptop... I had barely any knowledge of the content they'd added since launch (I played some of the Demoman vs Soldier update at a friends but that was it) item trading and crafting and all that stuff was all totally unknown to me, and the very first match I played someone convinced me that the iPod earbuds item was basically worthless and traded it to me for a scout shotgun or something (I think they're worth like $20 now). It wasn't until a few days later that I realized I got swindled and I've distrusted that game's entire community since, which ended up being the right choice because it spiraled into crafting/trading AIDS shortly after that.

TF2 was really the canary in the coal mine in terms of the lootbox and crafting gas leak in modern gaming

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Just played the tutorial for no reason. Thanks a lot man.

Ty saved me some time

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

TF2 was really the canary in the coal mine in terms of the lootbox and crafting gas leak in modern gaming

Yep

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

running around in 2004 screaming that Valve will bring the end of gaming and getting thrown into a mental hospital

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

i rmemeber in a british gaming magazine they published an article about a tomb raider nude code. it was an action replay/gameshark code and it was 96 lines long and the readers letters in the next issue were full of people complaining that they spent 2 hours typing it in with the controller and all it did was turn her entire body pink

Lmao

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

Lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I've never forgiven Valve for ruining TF2.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

2008: another steam sale?!? blessed GabeN please take as much time for episode 3 as you need, the cake is a lie and pc gaming is saved

2018: if I sell all 200 of my dota 2 trading cards I can afford the founder’s premium early access package for Cuck Story RPG

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

me, age 8: Geno stands as a pillar, cape parted, his nakedness bared before god. 12”x17”, acrylic on panel
teaching assistant: Nintendo’s IPs are theirs alone. Expelled for plagiarism effective immediately

Lmao

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

2008: another steam sale?!? blessed GabeN please take as much time for episode 3 as you need, the cake is a lie and pc gaming is saved

2018: if I sell all 200 of my dota 2 trading cards I can afford the founder’s premium early access package for Cuck Story RPG

lol, yeah. i really do miss the excitement of early steam sales

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

I.N.R.I posted:

lmao

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

FactsAreUseless posted:

hey it did keep the player count high long, long after valve stopped giving a poo poo

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

I.N.R.I posted:

egm were the masters of this. sheng long, sonic and tails in smash bros melee, doa volleyball nude characters...most of their april fool's jokes were genius-level tricks that got gamers to waste hours and hours

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Milkman posted:

hey it did keep the player count high long, long after valve stopped giving a poo poo
Honestly it's not the hats and crates that bother me. It was the gradual decline in gameplay quality. New bad modes, bad levels, weird class balance choices, and eventually just getting rid of reliable Valve servers. That last one was when I quit.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

NienNunb posted:

My sister told me when I was a kid that if I didn't make it into Peach's castle in Mario 64 in a short enough time, Bowser would jump out of the stained glass window and murder me. I havent played a game since then that replicated the primal, life or death fear I felt running to the front door.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

R. Guyovich posted:

egm were the masters of this. sheng long, sonic and tails in smash bros melee, doa volleyball nude characters...most of their april fool's jokes were genius-level tricks that got gamers to waste hours and hours

Akuma in RE2 was a god-tier troll

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

I.N.R.I posted:

lol

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i believed so hard the 121st star was in super mario 64, thus unlocking luigi, i would try all the most ridiculous hoaxes. the one i remember most was this particular area above a pole that you could ALLEGEDLY get to that had the star, but you had to do this insane jump to get up there and get it.

also the "get the triforce in ocarina of time hoaxes" play these particular notes at this particular location at this EXACT time.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

i believed so hard the 121st star was in super mario 64, thus unlocking luigi, i would try all the most ridiculous hoaxes. the one i remember most was this particular area above a pole that you could ALLEGEDLY get to that had the star, but you had to do this insane jump to get up there and get it.

also the "get the triforce in ocarina of time hoaxes" play these particular notes at this particular location at this EXACT time.

That's what happens when you finish the game without pressing a

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

FactsAreUseless posted:

Honestly it's not the hats and crates that bother me. It was the gradual decline in gameplay quality. New bad modes, bad levels, weird class balance choices, and eventually just getting rid of reliable Valve servers. That last one was when I quit.

yeah all that. though for me the final nail was them hiding community servers and railroading all players into their godawful matchmaking to make it like overwatch.

I had like 2000 hours in tf2 and like 80% of that is on the same 3-4 community servers with a healthy mix of regulars and pubs. logging on to see friendly faces and everyone instinctively balancing out the teams, knowing each others tendencies/strengths/weaknesses and knowing they know them... that's pure gaming.

now you get autojoined to a godless valve server entirely populated by pepes and hackers where anyone actually trying to play is a cuck

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

"If you join a server and can't tell who the cuck is, it's you."

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

trying to jack off posted:

that kid grew up to work on duke nukem forever

Lies and working on DNF was the kid Randy Pitchford

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

On that note, half life 2 episode 3

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

On that note, half life 2 episode 3
I never finished HL2 or played the episodes. I wasn't that into it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I never finished HL2 or played the episodes. I wasn't that into it.

Half Life 2 sucks. I've never had fun every time I've tried to play it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i liked it the first time i played it, but trying to go back to it a few years ago was a serious struggle

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

i liked it the first time i played it, but trying to go back to it a few years ago was a serious struggle

Yeah, same. I thought it was quite fun/novel when I first played it, due to how good the physics system was for its day. I doubt that it would be very enjoyable these days though, since good physics is par for the course these days, and HL2 was otherwise a fairly bland shooter. (Plus the story doesn't even have an ending!)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i still do really like the look of the coastal levels, though. i think that guy went on to do concept art for dishonored? the mix of old, ruined colonial style buildings mixed with the high tech combine stuff is pretty cool.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Half Life 2 hasn't aged that well but the episodes are still really good

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also the fan made Minerva maps are also incredible

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

HolePisser1982 posted:

where were you when you got tricked by “press alt+f4 to ____”

counter-strike 1.1, and i was so pissed he got to see me disconnect

either starcraft or diablo, probably the former

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

HolePisser1982 posted:

for some reason i thought the super mario rpg 3d renders were incredibly advanced depictions of light and shadow, so i’d draw from the strategy guide constantly. the enjoyment of shading a nice orb has never left me

i still have that bad boy

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
best one was in one of the CS beats at least (.6 or .7) there was a key that quit the game that was less obvious (was it F10?) so as a 16 year old shitlord it was easy and fun to make people DC

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

one time i was playing Super Mario World with a roommate, and he was getting bored because he kept dying really quickly and having to wait for me to finish a level, so he told me you could kill the bone fish with a cape attack, and he managed to be convincing enough that i tried it and lost my cape. i survived the level anyway and then he immediately died again, so he offered to make some frozen chicken nuggets while i played the next level. then he put a bunch of habanero pepper sauce on one of the nuggets as a prank, so my face was numb from the spicyness.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

one time i was playing Super Mario World with a roommate, and he was getting bored because he kept dying really quickly and having to wait for me to finish a level, so he told me you could kill the bone fish with a cape attack, and he managed to be convincing enough that i tried it and lost my cape. i survived the level anyway and then he immediately died again, so he offered to make some frozen chicken nuggets while i played the next level. then he put a bunch of habanero pepper sauce on one of the nuggets as a prank, so my face was numb from the spicyness.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

You had the right to kill him right there and then.

• Locked thread