Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
I have one rule.

Never ignore unusual mafias.

Your game intrigues me.

Consider me a player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Sal is a good guy. I don't even care if he's scum. Sal is great. End of question.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

b-minus1 posted:

Sal you gotta trust me here, if you actually are “vanilla” town. Because I am town, and Rex’s post pings me big time

Imma keep pinging you B. I'll ping you all night.

Oh yeeahh

Give you my sweet, sweet ping

This is just a little awkward now

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Really though, I'll be surprised if the game has already begun. Four man mafia sounds like a very quick, very silly experience. And we haven't unlocked anything that tells us to vote or gives us an idea of what deadlines are.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Natural 20 posted:

##Vote Rex

You're adorable.

I'm a Town Aligned Philanderer.

My PM didn't say that exactly but, I read the subtext. I knew what MMM meant.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

*Blows a kiss*

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

It's okay B-, I don't get it either. I'm gonna propose we get a little cuddle circle going! See if that doesn't stir the pot a little bit.

B- can cuddle Me (we all know he wants to).

I'll cuddle Nat (such a strong chin).

Nat should cuddle Sal (be gentle, but firm).

And Sal should cuddle B- (b is a lucky guy).

If we wanna unlock all the things, we're gonna have to start by unlocking one another. There's a deep, untouched part in each of us, yearning to be let free. We need to embrace that. Embrace one another. Only then can we uncover the delicate mysteries hidden inside the Black Box.

...I mean - I can throw some Enya on or something. If it gets everyone in the mood...

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

##Vote Nat

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

b-minus1 posted:

What the hell are you guys talking about

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT LOVE B-!! Haven't you ever wanted to be wanted? NEEDED to be NEEDED?!

quote:

Let’s just lynch CUDDLE Rex and hope he flips scum. If not we will have one more chance. I’m assuming there’s one scum.

Cuddle me B. I'll be your scum. I'll be whatever you need, baby.

quote:

This game should take like 10 minutes.

Oh, it's gonna take a lot longer than ten minutes. Do you have work in the morning?

quote:

Vote Rex and let’s move on

Why move on when there this lovely Black Box sitting right in front of us? This is what dreams are made of!

Inky blackness. Temptations. Soft sheets and pillows. The scent of kind strangers. Subconscious neurological sparks aimlessly re-interpreting random stimuli. Dopamine. David Bowie. Anxiety. Fireworks.

...I'm sorry, what the gently caress were we talking about? ... Maybe, can we just do the cuddle circle thing - instead of arguing about it?

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

With Aani signing up I'm pretty sure it's actually an eight person game now.

So, I think we could string this out a couple weeks. Really get to know each other.

... I'm a Capricorn! I like live theater and chess and being strange. My favorite holiday is Halloween. I am just a little bit disturbed by claymation.

Alright! Whose next?

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

50 pounds of bread posted:

Free room, lobster, steak. Sounds like a beezleblast

Its a romantic notion, I have to grant it that.

Maybe some champagne? Oysters? Powdered bull horn? ... Massage oil?... You know just ... simple luxuries. A couple amenities?

Hmm...

Nah. It's all too good to be true.

##vote TNL

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Hal Incandenza posted:

I said HELLO FRIENDS

Hello... Friend

:wink:

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

ok now that I'm in the game and I'm allowed to talk about poo poo I just want to point out that voting is not even in the rules yet

Say it louder! For the people in the back.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

##vote TNL
##vote TNL
##vote TNL
##vote TNL

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Also, I would like to vote on behalf of a two third's majority of current players.

If any of them object to this, they will have until the night phase to file a dispute with me.

So...

Jonathan Fisk,
Bifauxnen
AnAnonymousIdiot
Hal Incandenza
KhediveRex
SalTheBard
Natural20
GeneX

Will be voting for The Ninth Layer.

And all of them will be formatting their votes in four-base pattern, such as

##vote: TNL

Thank you.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Mystery Rules Mafia?

How about no rules mafia?

Welcome to anarchy.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

GeneX posted:

I want to gently caress nat 20

Don't we all?

Never you worry, it'll happen. We're all going to gently caress nat20. I promise.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

there's still no voting though

There's no voting yet. So instead we have to hand-draw illustrations of the people we think are scum.

The Ninth Layer is scum.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

SalTheBard posted:

I converted the picture to a MP3 and then put it in Audacity and ran the spectrometer and nothing but static :(

... That's Sexy.

You're sexy.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

GeneX posted:

##vote MMM

You're sexy too. This is the best thought to grace the thread so far.

##vote MMM

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Dot Link -

"A world to unravel
A [illegible] to unwind
Dark paths to travel
Sharp knives to find.

Diamond with a horizontal line through the middle just below the horizon left of the elbow of the woman in the plain white dress.

Strange black mass roughly in the shape of a triangle floating above the horizon and disconnected from the horizon above the bend in the river.

Cryptogram utilizing some astrological symbols. I'm working on this and will try to have it deciphered tonight. No spaces between words makes it more complicated. And there are three symbols tied for "most used" so, it's not clear which of them is E. Altogether, very nice cryptogram.

Space Link -

Steel legs, leather arms
Lean on the wood
Feel all the [illegible].
Does it feel good?

Triangle with a horizontal line running beneath it in the shadow of the metal cart/table thing. Against the wall, left of the metal pole nearest to the center of the table.

Something that looks like a lantern in the joint of the two pipes. Bottom right of photo, to the right of the constables shoes.

Three dots in a circle, visible just above the top right corner of the door in the next room. Between the constable's hat and the edge of the open door in the foreground.

A symbol which resembles a key in the bottom third of the door in the foreground, lying between the lowest and second lowest indents in the door on the right side.

Very visible squiggle, front and center of the electric chair. Probably native to the photo.

Deer Link -

My current theory is that the squiggles in the eyes of the deer are meant to represent the hands of a clock. The left eye is very easy to interpret this way, the right eye is more difficult as the lines do not appear to meet in the exact center of the clock/eye.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Believe it or not, I had missed enemies link entirely.

I'll do a search of that one and post what I find. I'm running to the store right now though so, it'll be a minute.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Enemies Link -

"The Devil and God
Collide in the sky
I really hate them
You're going to die"

Symbol of a hatchet in a log of wood. Left of the head of the man holding the wheel.

A number of small grey boxes. Most seems native to the painting (there are numerous in the ground for example.) There are two which seem out of place to me. One just to the right of the mouth of the man hung from a wheel in the top left of the picture. One on the ankle of the right foot of the man with broken limbs in the bottom right of the painting. It lies just below the ropes tied to his foot, in the bottom right corner of the picture.

The grey boxes may be nothing. Its possible we could pull some meaning from them by locating several and "Connecting the Dots" to form an overlayed symbol but, I only see two that seem really out of place.

The hatchet on the other hand is certainly important. It has a square border in the same way that the picture of the setting sun in the deer link had a square border.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

The Ninth Layer posted:

Bada bing. Fuggetaboutit.

"I'm Walkin' He'e!"

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

No one's supposed to be safe during the night, but no one died yet. Clearly, the night kill mechanic isn't unlocked yet, same as the voting mechanic.

The only winning move in this puzzle is not to play.

...ok, the one other winning move is to play and then catch all the scums, but that's way harder

Knight to c3 is also a winning move.

In my experience.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The sun has set
Night washes over us
We wait for morning
To bring us home.

Day One begins tomorrow at 12pm EDT

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Dawn has finally come
Everybody is still safe
Day one has begun
Thirty-six hours until night

In the period after "home".

And in the space between "Still" and "Safe".

Still working on that cryptogram everyone. I'm no longer sure that it's missing spaces between words. The last line is only five letter long. The longest line is nine. Nine could be split into two or maybe three words but, you'd see greater repetition in letters. Only eight of the 20 symbols displayed are used more than once. Five of those eight are only used twice. So, I've been playing with the notion that it's four words, one per line. I have three possible solutions for the top line (Doomfully, Needfully and Immorally), currently trying to run through the other lines to see if any of those solutions hold up. If not then I'll spend some more time looking at the AAB pattern that ends the first line. It should be LLY but, not everything is convenient like that.

Anyway, I'll be back with updates as updates come up. Hopefully we get this solved tonight.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Flying Leatherman posted:

Transliterating the cryptogram into letters rather than symbols. i think this is correct. I can't get anything meaningful out of it. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.
code:
ABBCDEFFG
FGHIJKFL
MHFNOOPQR
SFCUI
Khedive - I don't think I screwed up the transliteration here, but I can't get anything assuming there's only one to one translation.

There's one error in your transliteration. There are two symbols that look like a box with a tail in the front. One with extra nonsense on the bottom right and one with extra nonsense on the top left.

code:
ABBCDEFFG
HIJKLMHN
OJFPQQRST
UHCVWK
As far as the cryptogram itself, I'm back to thinking there are intermittent spaces between words. The FFG ending the first line struck me like it should by "LLY" I only found three words that match the letter pattern in the first word and end in "LLY"

Needfully
Doomfully
Immorally

My favorite was immorally but it takes up too many vowels in spaces that don't repeat through the rest of the cryptogram. It only leaves E and U, which just isn't enough.

Doomfully and Needfully are workable but, both of them put a "Y" as the second letter of the second line. Under those conditions for the second line to a be a full word and match the letter pattern it would need to be one of

Cymatics
Lyophile
Mycetoma
Myograms
Ryotowari
Sybotism
Symplast

If MMM used any of those words then he designed this cryptogram just to gently caress with me personally. I'm doubtful. It's possible. For example:

Needfully
Cymatics

Fits the letter pattern of the first two lines. But it also makes no narrative sense and won't form a meaningful sentence.

So, I think the first line either doesn't end in LLY or isn't a single word. And if it isn't a single word, chances are it doesn't end in LLY anyway.

The last line, being five letters long, is almost certainly a single word. It also contains the most letters from other parts of the puzzle. Three of it's letter repeat elsewhere. I've thought that it might be "DEATH", not for any puzzle reason as much as because it's a five letter word that would suit the theme of the game so far and dramatically end the four line sonnet. I'm gonna keep playing with the notion but, It hasn't born fruit so far.

I think there must be spaces in between words through the rest of the cryptogram. If that's the case, we can freely assume the two paired letters in the top line (BB and FF) are parts of different words. But ... Eh ...

... Its a good cryptogram ...

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

eager to start killing townies, are we?!

How many times do I have to tell the thread?

I am a Town Aligned Philanderer.

I don't want to kill anyone! Unless, you know ... That's there thing... I guess.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A Key:

A Lantern:

Three Dots in a Circle:

Underlined Triangle:

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Flying Leatherman posted:

It's the one with the chair and the guard.

this one

Alright -

I've tried to render this picture in 3d. To see if the squiggle in the chair takes a more meaningful shape when seen from a different angle. No dice.

I've filled in the like colored negative space in the white wall. Really cool effect but, nothing revealed.

I've finished writing the half written letters in the poem. And while I noticed that two lines have their top halfs missing and two lines have their bottom halfs missing, it doesn't seem like they line up to make anything new.

I put the image in a photo editor and pushed the contrast way up. No hidden symbols. I ran it through some filters after that, still no hidden symbols.

I think the key to solving this one is in the text itself. The phrase "Feel all the bits" strikes me as off. Bits isn't quite right. There's a dozen words he could have used to suggest "Parts of a chair". Bits is one of the least eloquent, which hasn't been MMM's style so far. It also isn't necessary for the rhyme scheme. Repetition of "Feel" in the third and fourth line also strikes me as off. I think both of these parts are included in the poem as double-entendre or hints to the solution. Which is what got me thinking of tactile solutions (3D, contrast, filters) and solutions involving parts or bits (completing the other halfs of letters, isolating like-colored parts of the picture).

Anyone else have a notion how we can "Feel All The Bits?" of a flat, black and white digital image?

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

peramene posted:

im thinking a simple 9x9 of dark oak to start and we'll branch into stone once we've got the charcoal to justify not gathering so much wood

Honestly, just gather enough wood to make our first pickaxe and one piece of charcoal.

A pair of sheers will last forever. We can harvest the same forest for years and never make a dent in our resources. We'll live in a castle of fresh cut leaves, feasting on the freshest fruits from our endless old-growth forest.

I don't need diamonds to be happy. The truest peace comes from perfect harmony with nature.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

I used to make high-concept cities with elaborate buildings of rare metals, gem-work tapestries and marble terraces.

Anymore, I just like to give myself a journal and map, turn on survival and watch the story grow. I highly recommend the experience.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

The constellation Orion is hidden in this picture. In case this means something to anyone.

Off-hand I notice that there are five "spots" on the photo that aren't in the shape of stars and are instead in the shape of boxes.

Also.

##vote TNL

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

05 12 3 | 07 28 1 | 08 23 3 | 08 25 3 | 09 25 3 | 10 14 2 | 10 20 3 |

Also, I think we should all pay attention to this.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Murmur Twin posted:

Rex, say something to me that would make me think you're not scum.

I had an idea recently for a ghost-hunters parody movie.

It stars a team of anti-ghost hunters who sneak onto "Haunted" locations during other television ghost hunting teams' paranormal investigations and pretend to be ghosts. But then, during a routine anti-ghost hunt, they discover that the ghost hunting team they're hunting are actually ghosts.

Its a satirical horror reality serial found footage suspense thriller.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Murmur Twin posted:

I have the entirety of Lewis Carol's "The Jabberwocky" committed to memory. I used to use it as my primary monologue in theater auditions.

"Twas brillig and the slithey toves,
did gyre and gimble in the wabe,
all mimzy were the borogroves
and the mome rathes outgrabe.

Beware the Jabberwock my son
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jub-Jub bird and shun,
the frumious Bandersnatch.

He took his Vorpal blade in hand,
long time the manxious foe he sought.
So rested he by the tum tum tree
and stood a while.

And thought...

And in such uffish thought he stood
the Jabberwock with eyes of flame
came whiffling through the tulgy wood
and burbled as it came.

One, two. One - Two - And through and through!
His vorpal blade went SNICKERSNACK!
He left it dead and with its head
He went, galumphing back.

Hast thou slain the jabberwock?
Come to my arms my beemish boy.
Oh Frabjous Day! Kaloo-Kalay!
He chortled in his joy.

Twas brllig and the slithy toves
did gyre and gimble in the wabe
all mimzy were the borogroves
and the mome rathes outgrabe."

I used to do it with a heavy Scottish accent. It was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Murmur Twin posted:

Supposedly Moscow was nuked during the Napoleonic Wars.

It sounds ridiculous on it's face because we didn't have nuclear weapons at that time in history but - hear me out.

The Kremlin area of Moscow, the center of the city, is lightly radioactive. it's also lightly radioactive in a nearly perfect circle perimeter. Much of that part of Moscow was, historically of record, destroyed during the Napoleonic Wars. Supposedly a large fire broke out and ruined most of the Kremlin area.

What strange about this is that the government portion of Moscow was required to be built of a white soap stone native to the area. This was in the literally in the by-laws of the neighborhood and old depictions of the kremlin and it's surrounding area are basically uniform in showing the buildings made of white soap stone. This rule was in the by-laws to prevent fires from destroying the government center of Moscow. The soap stone was inflammable.

This soap stone can still be found in Moscow. It is in ruins. it doesn't have any char or smoke damage. It looks as though it were knocked over and shattered into countless smaller pieces. Some of these pieces got repurposed to build the new Kremlin district. Consequently, the rubble and the evidence can still be found today.

A fire would not have reduced the soap stone to rubble. Even incredible heat would have melted the stone, not shattered it.

Further more, a French soldier in the Kremlin district wrote his experience with the fire in a diary that has survived to today. He describes seeing the fire as "An incredible bright light which descended down from the sky." He goes on to say that when the "Fire" impacted the Kremlin there was a wave of "terrible heat" that knocked down buildings in a circular perimeter.

Again, doesn't really sound like a fire.

And last but not least, pretty much everyone is aware that the French suffered incredible casualties during their march out of Moscow and back to France; histrorically credited with minimal food, the incredibly cold Russian winters and a number of illnesses that swept through the French legion. However, did you know that the French soldiers also lost fingernails, teeth and hair? That they suffered from sores? That some of them grew tumors? All of this is confirmed in diaries written by the men who suffered the walk back from Moscow.

So... I mean ... I don't know. I'm not gonna say for sure what did or didn't happen but, I think we need to acknowledge that what we know of this event in history is hard to reconcile with "Just a Fire". And a lot of the speculative evidence could be interpreted as something like a nuclear weapon.

• Locked thread