Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerzes
May 16, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Dream match time!

If you could have one match between Vader and any wrestler ever who he did not wrestle, who would it be. Assume a Vader in his prime of course.

For me, off the cuff, I think it has to be Vader vs. Ishii.

Much like Ishii now, Vader was one of those wrestlers who I wanted to see wrestle everyone, because it always ended up being real interesting how he meshed with a guy.

Jeff Cobb. I want to see how far the strongest man could throw the biggest man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Prime Vader against Victory Road 2011 Jeff Hardy

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Xerzes posted:

Jeff Cobb. I want to see how far the strongest man could throw the biggest man.

jeff cobb is the first guy i thought of.

i feel like vader v. rusev would be great too. i just want to see him against the beefiest boys.

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

remusclaw posted:

Dream match time!

If you could have one match between Vader and any wrestler ever who he did not wrestle, who would it be. Assume a Vader in his prime of course.

For me, off the cuff, I think it has to be Vader vs. Ishii.

Much like Ishii now, Vader was one of those wrestlers who I wanted to see wrestle everyone, because it always ended up being real interesting how he meshed with a guy.

Either WALTER or PCO.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

remusclaw posted:

Dream match time!

Most of the Big Japan Pro Wrestling tag roster. Imagine Bam Bam and Vader vs. The Twin Towers. Or Sekimoto and Yuji Okabayashi. Big Japan's tag roster was almost made watching Vader matches.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That show was a WILD mix of Russo-esque on-the-fly booking, an old-school crowd seeing said booking coming and crapping on it, and legit confusion among the wrestlers about what was going on. From a booking perspective this might be the most fascinating show in the history of Japanese wrestling.

Video, part 1: http://theditch.us/NJ12-27-87endPart1.avi
Video, part 2: http://theditch.us/NJ12-27-87endPart2.avi

Explanation:
http://theditch.us/riot.html

AlmightyBob posted:

Was it vader that accidentally tore off mick foley's ear?
It was vs Vader, but IIRC the real culprit was the ring ropes.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, Vader threw Foley over the ropes for the good old "The ropes twist in such a way that I'm caught by my neck" spot, but for whatever reason the ropes were tighter than usual and were literally killing Foley. So he thrashed free, but his ear didn't make the trip

Takuan
May 6, 2007

If I remember from Foley's book, 2 Cold Scorpio had complained about the ropes being too lose earlier in the show, causing the ring crew to over-tighten them before the Foley/Vader match.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
And Foley said he could have saved his ear/had it surgically repaired had he the German word for formaldehyde in the hospital to tell them to keep it and not throw it away. Tragically, the German word for formaldehyde is "Formaldehyd".

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Might as well let the man tell it in his own words.

quote:

In any other sport, a ripped-off ear would probably because for a ‘time-out’. But in our sport, the ‘fake’ sport, we have a single rule: ‘The show must go on…’

Vader and I had a history of having very rough matches, and on this night on tour in Germany – I believe it was March 14, 1993 – I came in the dressing room and said to him, ‘We’re gonna tear the house down, right!’ And he said, ‘Not tonight.’

He said he couldn’t wrestle because he had a bad arm injury. So, I took it upon myself to say, ‘Hey, don’t worry about it, I’ll do most of the work tonight…’

As part of trying to fulfill that commitment, I did the dreaded ‘Hangman’s move’, where my neck gets caught in the ropes legitimately.

On every other occasion, I’d be able to get out relatively injury free. I say ‘relatively’, because I actually had the ear stitched several times…it was a dangerous, painful move.

Earlier in the match, I had successfully caught Vader with the patented Cactus clothesline. In this move, I clothesline my opponent and let my momentum carry me over as well.

This time, I charged at Vader, who moved out of the way. I launched myself into the ropes and prepared to catch my head and neck between the second and third ropes, sail my body over, and using precise timing and my own body’s momentum, twist the second rope over the third.

Although it is a planned maneuver, it is no illusion, as the man actually is hanging by his neck.

There was no doubt about it, it was a difficult move, but even more so in WCW because they didn’t actually use ring ropes – they used elevator cables covered with a rubber casing, and when the cables were entwined, they were almost impossible to pull apart.

Unbeknownst to me, 2 Cold Scorpio had wrestled in the evening’s first match and had complained that the ring ropes were too loose…so the German roadies had tightened the cables to the maximum; there was no give on the ropes at all.

Instead of the normal pain that I had long ago accepted as a consequence of this exciting move, I felt as if my neck was in a vice.

The ropes were squeezing the sides of my neck, and I was quickly passing out…I felt like I was going to die right there in the Sporthalle in Munich.

I’m usually known as a pretty good ring general, and I had kept a calm head in some pretty bizarre conditions, but in this case, I began to do what no tough-guy, big-cheese, blood-and-guts wrestler would ever, under normal circumstances, even think of…I began screaming – and I do mean SCREAMING – for help.

I knew enough about the human anatomy to know that if the pressure continued on my carotid arteries, which run alongside the neck, I would soon pass out, and then, without exaggeration, could suffer brain damage and even death.

With that grisly knowledge in mind, I made one last effort to get myself free and wrenched my head from between the ropes.

I later likened it to a fox that chews off its paw to escape a trap.

I lay on the floor momentarily and then got to my knees. Blood was literally pouring out of my right ear.

I could hear the pitter-patter of drop after drop hitting the blue protective mats that surround the ring.

This struck me as strange…I mean, as many times as the backs of my ears had been laid wide open, they had never really bled. They are made up mostly of cartilage, after all.

I climbed into the ring and the match continued.

‘Nice juice, huh?’ I said to Vader as he set me up for a monstrous forearm to the head. I blocked his third forearm and threw a blow of my own. When this happened, a fan’s videotape clearly shows something falls off the side of my head…

Because two of our referees had been injured on the tour and had been sent home, a referee from France had been flown in. Because he spoke no English, he was unable to tell me that he had picked up a part of my body and was holding it in his hand.

He handed it to the ring announcer, who – face turning white – tiptoed the ear back to the dressing room, where he informed Ric Flair [who was the booker that night], ‘I have Cactus’s ear…where should I put it?’

Flair, being the thoughtful guy he was, arranged to have it put in a bag of ice for me.

After the match, Vader, once again showing his sensitive side – the big softy – was pretty upset about the whole thing. He even wanted to ride to the hospital with me.

I underwent a four-hour operation during which all the cartilage from the missing ear was removed and placed in a man-made pocket an inch above my remaining lobe. By doing this, the cartilage would remain vital for a reconstructive operation somewhere down the road.

After the operation, a German nurse, after disposing of the remains of my ear, turned to me and with the inquiring eyes of a child said, ‘Der catch ist alles schauspiel, ja?’ which loosely translates as, ‘Isn’t wrestling all fake?’

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

quote:

-Takeshi's 'promotion', part of the angle, opened up a real dojo that produced Jado, Gedo and Super Delfin.
So we can thank Inoki wanting to feud with Beat Takeshi of Takeshi's Castle fame for the New Japan we have now. :v:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I feel like instead of "beat" Takeshi Kitano's nickname should have been "Yes, that" Takeshi Kitano

Because he always pops up in weird pop culture events in Japan and you are like "Wait... was it that Takeshi Kitano?"

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

frankenfreak posted:

So we can thank Inoki wanting to feud with Beat Takeshi of Takeshi's Castle fame for the New Japan we have now. :v:
God works in mysterious ways :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/STRIGGA/status/1009818620514455553

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Didn't the devil turn out to be Rick Rude

There was a mysterious masked villain guy named the Ghoul who at first turned out to be Rick Rude (based on that time he was the Halloween Phantom), but then they revealed it was a fakeout and the Ghoul was someone else. At the end of the story, he claimed to be Sting's old trainer who sold his soul to the dark arts to make himself stronger than ever. Sting didn't believe him, tried to unmask him, the lights went out and the Ghoul vanished.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Gavok posted:

There was a mysterious masked villain guy named the Ghoul who at first turned out to be Rick Rude (based on that time he was the Halloween Phantom), but then they revealed it was a fakeout and the Ghoul was someone else. At the end of the story, he claimed to be Sting's old trainer who sold his soul to the dark arts to make himself stronger than ever. Sting didn't believe him, tried to unmask him, the lights went out and the Ghoul vanished.
The main storyline was convoluted, confusing, and had no real payoff? At least it was consistent with the source material.

:wcw:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Vader's AJPW run is my all time favorite period for puro, but ever since I read about his fight with Orndorff I can't get that image out of my head. Vader picking a fight with a dude who has something wrong with his arm, getting his rear end kicked and then attacking Mr. Wonderful from behind later because he's so mad he got his rear end kicked. Then getting fired from WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Actually all I can think about is how Vader would have eating contests with Dave Meltzer at Korean BBQ restaurants in Japan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Actually all I can think about is how Vader would have eating contests with Dave Meltzer at Korean BBQ restaurants in Japan.

I haven't been able to sleep for 2 days because the thought keeps running through my head :allears:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I ate Korean BBQ for the first time in my life thinking about Vader and Meltzer. It wasn't the grill in the middle kinda thing but it was still good poo poo. Thanks, Vader.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Some standout positive Vader memories

1) Wrestling With Shadows, they take a minute to talk to him he mentions having a Real Estate License, and he comes off as they most teddy bear-ish guy. I think he was also one of the talent who skipped the next RAW out of solidarity with Bret after Montreal.

2) When they were doing that shtick with Heath Slater where a different legend came out and hosed him up every week, Vader came out and got a nice pop, and shouted "You remembered!". Imagine being an 8 time world champ, maybe the best big man ever and being humbled by that.

3) At WrestleReunion 6, headlined by Sasuke and Generico vs the Bucks, the opener was a couple young guys having a nice basic match. Vader's music hits, and he comes out and destroys both guys. Dude got a MONSTER reaction and he looked so thrilled. I know the last two are similar, but I love it when legends are able to still be excited and unjaded about fans loving them. Incidentally, one of those guys he destroyed? Adam Page.

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

I lost my mom back in March and have been completely numb to celebrity death until loving Topenga tweeted about Vader

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wish I could find that gif of Liger kicking over Vader's steam helmet, or one that doesn't link to reddit

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 22, 2018

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ditch posted:

The main storyline was convoluted, confusing, and had no real payoff? At least it was consistent with the source material.

:wcw:

I mention it practically every time that comic comes up, but the best screw-up was how the first couple issues were all about heel champ Lex Luger straight-up kicking the poo poo out of the entire locker room and then saying, "I'm leaving this company and I'm not coming back until you have a real challenger!" Only Lex really did end up leaving the company around that time, so they suddenly weren't able to mention him anymore or reference why the title was vacant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

2) When they were doing that shtick with Heath Slater where a different legend came out and hosed him up every week, Vader came out and got a nice pop, and shouted "You remembered!". Imagine being an 8 time world champ, maybe the best big man ever and being humbled by that.

Considering his size and age, it's crazy how good he looked in that match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXbqF_1So7Q

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Vader actually attempted a shooting star press in the BATB match with Hogan, but aborted in midair. Can't imagine what would have happened had he committed.

Here is the story, from the Observer:

quote:

Midway through the match, Vader's idea was to attempt to debut a shooting star press (kind of a reverse moonsault that has only been done by Jushin Liger and Hayabusa in Japan) that would miss when Hogan would move, however to do that move, your foe needs to be near the corner. Hogan was halfway across the ring and Vader went out with the idea of doing it, realizing there was no way, and in compensating landed in a clumsy senton which destroyed his shoulder. He continued to work on heavy medication for the next two months until the Orndorff incident, at which point WCW suspended him without pay.

And here is Vader confirming that this was indeed what he had in mind.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

quote:

only been done by Jushin Liger and Hayabusa
Vader thinking "Okay, I can do this" - not his greatest moment.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

frankenfreak posted:

Vader thinking "Okay, I can do this" - not his greatest moment.

Wrong. Vader seeing a moonsault and thinking he can do it is one of his best decisions. This was just an extension and I blame Hogan for being out of position :colbert:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
To be fair I love German Air Show Sentons and wish someone could figure out a way to do them deliberately

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I remember crying when Vader attacked Gorilla Monsoon because I loved Monsoon and I thought Vader was shooting on him and legit hurting him :(

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I'm not sure if it's really dumb or extremely impressive that he thought "Yeah, I'll just do a shooting star press." without practicing it beforehand.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SalTheBard posted:

I remember crying when Vader attacked Gorilla Monsoon because I loved Monsoon and I thought Vader was shooting on him and legit hurting him :(

I remember being upset about that too until later in life when I realized that Monsoon was batshit tough, possibly tougher than Vader.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

I'm not sure if it's really dumb or extremely impressive that he thought "Yeah, I'll just do a shooting star press." without practicing it beforehand.

That and it's almost for sure that he wanted to do it to make people talk about him and not Hogan after the match.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

That and it's almost for sure that he wanted to do it to make people talk about him and not Hogan after the match.

A noble pursuit if ever there was one.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

Considering his size and age, it's crazy how good he looked in that match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXbqF_1So7Q

God drat Cole and King are loving awful

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Considering Hogan won every time I'm fine with that

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

MassRafTer posted:

OK, I'm convinced it was indeed a good idea.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE_JOo3JNVc

I don't know how this match ends in a loving count out and somehow isn't a wet fart

I guess part of it is Vader just freaking out and wrecking everything

And then shouting for a while

Sockser fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 22, 2018

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

MassRafTer posted:

Bad rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jackie D posted:

Bad rear end

Same reason he started doing moonsaults in the early 90s.

• Locked thread