Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

By the 2000s Vader was beat to shreds but he'd left a trail of destruction so impressive that even Vince McMahon had to overcompensate for it.

His first IWGP win against Hashimoto was scary. You had this fiercely nationalistic crowd pumping their hearts into Hashimoto. Vader just walked through it all. When the crowd went silent for his coronation, you could see them all quietly seething as Vader donned the strap. He was the #1 foreign heel for NJPW in the late 80s early 90s.

Vader was a dude you didn't watch for crisp execution of moves but rather the sheer brutality of them. His Vader bomb attacks on Sting during the White Castle of Fear match looked and sounded like they could crush concrete. Those pawing strikes bowled many a smaller wrestler over, and in some cases knocking them so loopy they could barely stang.

He's right up there with Bruiser Brody in the absolutely scary large men category. With the state of wrestling as it is nowadays, wrestlers aren't financially protected enough that they can be like this. He acted with complete impunity, even assaulting a reporter in Kuwait. People's personal interactions with him are split between adoration and destestment, largely dependent on if you got the wrathful or the chill Leon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ooo I just remembered the time brought Vader back for a Cyber Sunday spot and he slipped off the ring and started cussing directly into the camera mic. Golddust, who looked like he just got off an international flight, was trying to console him on the way back.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah if WWE wants to fly out Leon's entire family for WM week I'm not gonna complain. Maybe even give his son another go at the PC now that its not run by south florida scum.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Phenix Rising posted:

What would be some matches on NJPW World to show a more casual fan to showcase the greatness of Vader?

boom early Vader, just raw sick power
https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00087_1_10

and because this is a goddamn gory classic(this is the gross eye one)
https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00094_1_1

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I ate Korean BBQ for the first time in my life thinking about Vader and Meltzer. It wasn't the grill in the middle kinda thing but it was still good poo poo. Thanks, Vader.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SalTheBard posted:

I remember crying when Vader attacked Gorilla Monsoon because I loved Monsoon and I thought Vader was shooting on him and legit hurting him :(

I remember being upset about that too until later in life when I realized that Monsoon was batshit tough, possibly tougher than Vader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sockser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE_JOo3JNVc

I don't know how this match ends in a loving count out and somehow isn't a wet fart

I guess part of it is Vader just freaking out and wrecking everything

And then shouting for a while

that's some classic Vader. Casually punching a dude in the face, right in front of the ref.

• Locked thread