Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Winter Rose - The Outlander

Let's cut the poo poo. The gods are dead, they died in the final battles at the end of the world, glorious and terrible to behold. And when they died, the world died with it. And we're dying too, maybe not today, and not tomorrow, but one by one, we'll die and leave fewer behind until there's nothing left but bones. So why let it worry you!

Too many people gave into despair, and it's not hard to see why, what's there to live for if your whole life is farming dirt, hoping thieves won't come over the horizon to steal everything that belongs to you? That's no kind of life at all. The halls of the gods in the afterlife might be broken and fallen, leaving only the cold of death's domain, but since we're all going there anyway, make the most of life!

So get out there, find a ruined building with some cellars intact to get good a drunk, find an outlaw king or a dragon and have a good fight, and after that, find a good looking person and have yourself a good hard gently caress. That's what's left in life, making sure you have the kind of life whoever is left on this dying world of ours won't even be able to believe it was real.

I don't have time for any of the cowards too scared to live, too broken by the world to realize that Fate died with the rest of the gods, I'm going to make my life a legend. My people have a tradition, whenever a child is born, they cast bones to foretell their future and give them a name to determine their lot in life. The Winter Rose in my land died when the frost turned to sand, but it was the most beautiful and fragile flower in all the lands, wilting at the slightest touch. Now, you can look all you want, but me, I prefer touching.

The Outlander posted:

Name: Winter Rose
Look: Wild Eyes, Mighty Body, Unmarred Self, Pelt Garb

Moves
Unencumbered, Unharmed
Herculean Appetites
-Mortal Pleasures
-Fame and Glory
The Upper Hand
Musclebound
What Are You Waiting For?

Signature Weapon: Sigrid
Ancient, Crude, Hammer, Versatile, Hooks and Spikes

Drive: Living Legend

Background: Champion of Slaughter

Flags
Selfish (Put me in a situation where getting what I want puts the party at a disadvantage or bad situation)
Powerful (Attempt to use finesse so I can barge my way in/attempt to dissuade me from solving a problem via force)

Gear
Sigrid (close, reach, +1 damage, two-handed, 3 weight, hammer)
5 dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
A dagger (hand, 1 weight)
A Token from home (a wrought iron rose on a string)
Adventuring gear (1 weight)
A hide cloak from a formidable creature (dire winter bearskin)
A dusty charm from an old friend (a red neckerchief)

Stats
Strength: 16 (+2)
Dexterity: 12 (+0)
Constitution: 15 (+1)
Intelligence: 8 (-1)
Wisdom: 9 (+0)
Charisma: 13 (+1)

Health: 20
Armor: 1
Damage: D10
Load: 6/10

1) What drives you? Why did you choose to journey out into the wastelands?
Answered above

2) What did you give up?
If you asked Winter Rose, she'd say "Nothing." and believe it.

If you asked an objective outsider, a more honest answer might be hope. The facts may or may not line up with her view of things, but as far as she's concerned, there's no hope left for life or the planet. Everyone is going to die and in a few generations there won't even be anyone left to remember her.

3) Tell me about a cool/interesting place you know about!
thinking about this one

4) Tell me about someone you know. How did you get to know them? Are they someone you trust?
In the Wastelands, nothing can live, and anything can live. So when I heard the stories of the the Dragon living near the ramshackle settlement I was in, I didn't believe it, but I also didn't dismiss it either. After listening to the tales, hired what passed for a local loremaster, and went off searching. Like I said, kill a dragon, and really, what else is there to do in life? Just let people feast you and have people lining up to share your bed, that's about it.

The truth was rather less exciting. See, I did find the dragon. Merress. Hidden in a cave with a horde, just like the stories all said. What they didn't say, was that she was only part dragon, and not the kind that fights. If anyone could have fit the Winter Rose name I've met, she'd be the one, I could have snapped her in half with my fingers if I tried. Pretty thing, scaled all over, but she lived for nothing but her library, preserved under the sands, a horde of knowledge that's completely worthless to anyone but her. I could hardly kill her, so I left her too it, but not before I got her promise to shelter me if I need it some time. Do I trust her? of course... I left knowing where she lives for one, and more importantly, if she'd wanted to stop me, she would have made a move on my while I slept. Or appeared to. I'm no fool.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Winter Rose

A wild girl with a wild heart, and a free spirit, living life to the absolute fullest. Not the worst way to spend your days in this dying world, and speaking of being wild, I heard things get pretty wild whenever you’re around. What’s the wildest situation you found yourself in?

You said you believe there’s no hope, but is that really true? Is there anything that gives you the tiniest sliver of hope, or do you truly believe there’s no more hope for this world?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Tardzilla posted:

Xíe, Who Walks Again

You've felt it, haven't you? Abi-Shigal's influence? Though you haven't seen him, you've witnessed signs of his presence during your travels around the wastelands. What were those signs? What do you think they might mean, and are they anything you're concerned about?
To explain, I need to tell you about Abi-Shigal. Once, he was one of our great sorcerers--though never the greatest. Ai Night's-Daughter, a sorceress I loved, knew him when she was young. He was already ancient, then, a sometimes teacher of advanced students of sorcery. She said that he always had a bitterness in him, a darkness, a feeling that he was owed more than even his considerable status and power earned him; that his family name, his scholarly success, his contributions to the sorcerous webs that spanned the Shining Kingdom entitled him to more: more respect, more power, more praise.
He had everything he could want, and yet he grew bitter, and when his own Great Slumber approached, he did not go to his tomb but out into the Chaos Beyond.

He was not the first to do this. In fact, our ability to master and tame the Chaos Beyond was why the Shining Kingdom grew so quickly and thrived so fiercely after we came to its edges. We arrived in our shining, golden-sailed ships from Under the Hill and across the sea, and some among us went into the Chaos Beyond and imposed their will on it, tamed it, shaped it into land and power and resources for the Kingdom's building.

But not everyone can do this. To bend the Chaos Beyond to your will, one needs power, yes--but power is perhaps the least of it. The champions of the Shining Kingdom who went into the Chaos Beyond and tamed it, shaped it, drove it further and further from the world all had a peace in their thoughts, an order and understanding of things and peace with them.
Abi-Shigal had power, but his understanding of the world was flawed, and he had never known peace within himself.

He entered the Chaos Beyond in secret, and even as he attempted to impose his will upon it, it imposed itself on him: its innate hatred of order, its desire to consume, to break down, to
allow things to exist for a heartbeat and no longer. When he re-entered the Shining Kingdom, kept upright by crawling strands of platinum magic, the Chaos Beyond came with him, like an infection, an imperfection in a master's painting.
A stutter in the beating of a heart.

In one town, I met--and slew--a sheriff's deputy who had been known as a kind-hearted lad, but who had turned covetous. Through cunning and treachery, he smashed the peace between three nearby towns, and allowed bandits to come sweeping into a once-prosperous region.

In another, a monastery known for being the home of a brilliant alchemist had begun to slay the children of nearby villages, sacrificing them and drawing power from their blood.

An oasis on an important merchant route had become poisoned, black nightshade growing on its banks and rendering the water foul. A malicious spirit had taken up residence in the water, and was tending its wicked garden.

And so I come across things: entropy cults, gifted women gone mad, places of power that corrupt what they once supported, and I wonder: is this simply the Chaos Beyond, seeping into the world? Or is he here, imposing his will and his bitterness, destroying the work of others in an attempt to increase his own forever-insufficient greatness? If so, what might he destroy before I find it? What might he take from the world that it desperately needs in order to achieve greatness again?

quote:

You've come from a different time, a different place, and the folk here, they ain't like the folk you used to know. What's been the most difficult thing you found yourself adjusting to? How was it different from what you're normally used to?
Most who know I come from a bygone age think it must be the guns and the way they spit bullets between eyeblinks. But weapons that can strike a man down at range were far from unknown in the shining kingdom.

No, it is the scale of things--of places, of men, of their desires. It is a small time, and it is fading still. The ambitions of the greedy and the benevolent alike are limited in scope; their understanding of the world is limited, qualified, uncertain. It is an age of decline. And so, sometimes, I drink the weak drink these people make, and I feast on their food, and I take handsome men and women to my bed, and I brood, a storm upon my brow--or I lose myself in mortal pleasures.

But it can become an age of hope. And I remember the Shining Kingdom, and how little it was built from: three and thirty shining ships from across the silver sea. My people, refugees from Beneath the Hill, pitting themselves against the Chaos Beyond. What they built! The scope and glory of it! And then I leave those men and women to sleep, exhausted, among the food and liquor, the silks and pillows, and I go out into the Waste Lands, and I hurl my wild joy against the sky.

I seek out history forgotten, history obscured: I am an archaeologist of the impossible. I seek out greatness, and clasp its hand, and help it rise from where it has fallen: I am a guiding star.

I am not three and thirty ships, but I will suffice.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 2, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Tardzilla posted:

Winter Rose
A wild girl with a wild heart, and a free spirit, living life to the absolute fullest. Not the worst way to spend your days in this dying world, and speaking of being wild, I heard things get pretty wild whenever you’re around. What’s the wildest situation you found yourself in?

The wildest, hmm? That's a bit of a tall order, I can tell you quite a few wild tales! Now, buy me a drink and I'll see if I can pick the craziest of the lot~

Of course you can get into some pretty wild situations when you go for the kind of fun I go for, running out of town with a girl in tow, or pick the kind of fights I do, but the best, wildest, mm, there's one it's gotta be. So, have you heard of the Skull Queen? You must have, nasty bandit leader around these parts a few years back, Clarissa the Skull Queen and her undead legion. Over hyped, to tell the truth, but she had the nearest four towns paying her tribute. Bunch of kind, resources, horses, gunpowder, the rare mana crystal. So, she's there, right? Now over here, we have the Bryvis tribe of Centaur, and there's the old Auto-Junker Railline, goes between the 'mining town' of Silverload and Dryrock Oasis. That's the basic outline. The Skull Queen's fort and the four towns nearest, then the Bryvis tribe, then the Junker Rail going parallel to them.

So now, I know vaguely about all this. Don't care too much, smashing up undead isn't a big deal, and Centaurs are a bother to deal with. But I'm tracking down a razorback desert lion, and it goes into Clarissa's territory. Live and let dead, I say, no big deal, and keep going. But then I find my lion, cut down on the ground and hacked up by some of her skeletons. Bones smashed around, body rotting in the heat, they didn't even skin it properly, just hacked it and left. She stole my prey, the bastard, and almost as bad, while I was fuming about that, I see a tribute wagon going by, real handsome guy on it, tied up, I know her tastes, eighteen, muscled and virgin.

Now, fairs fair, I smash the cart up, grab him, hop on the horse that was pulling it and ride off into the sunset, she stole my prey, I stole hers. Only, she doesn't seem to think so. So here I am, riding off, a horde of skeletons coming after me. Horse won't last long with both of us on it, and I'm not about to give up my prize, so I head for Bryvis land. They're the best herdsmen in the region, so getting there, I swap out our tired mount for a fresh one and ride off again. But they haaaaate horse thieves, can't blame them, and so they're after me too. Outrunning centaurs is a fools errand, and no fool I, I head for the Junker line. With a nice lead on them, the two of us make it on board, and we're just in the middle of a 'celebration' when a pile of bandits hold the train up, going door to door. Course, I didn't notice it'd stopped, being a bit busy, but when they kick the door open, then I noticed.

In the middle of teaching the first two train robbers a lesson, who shows up by the undead legion lead by the Skull Queen and the Bryvis herd. Centaurs hate horse thieves, but they hate walking skeletons even more, so within minutes of my ride, I've got a full on four way battle going, Centaur, train robbers, skeleton army and me all fighting each other at once.

And that, is why the Auto-Junker Railline has been out of commission for the last year, why my drinking mug is the crown of the Skull Queen, why the Centaurs near here don't go on horse raids anymore, and why the son of the mayor of Grave Glen always has room in bed when I drop by.

Tardzilla posted:

You said you believe there’s no hope, but is that really true? Is there anything that gives you the tiniest sliver of hope, or do you truly believe there’s no more hope for this world?

Hope? Of course I have hope, not for the world, noooo. Our legends say that after the gods die, the world would be born anew from the ashes, and life would spread from the surviving humans, but does this look like that? No, humanity - and all the races - are dwindling, dying out. Perhaps someone will find the lost kingdom of atlantis under the sand, brimming full of life to overflow and rejuvenate the planet, eh? No, I hope I'll die drunk with a man in me, woman in one hand, Sigrid in the other and the bodies of my enemies broken around me, bleeding from countless wounds! I think that seems pretty likely too, don't you? All the better to hope for!

Winter Rose has heard countless stories, from her own culture and others of the end of the world and the salvation that comes after, but she's never seen any sign of the foretold rebirths in whatever form they take, and her people's gods - and everyone elses for all she's ever seen of them - have died and gone. Until she sees something that can't be explained by the world as it is now, she won't believe. If she does see a tree sprouting from the heart of the desert full of life, or the surface of the planet cracking to hatch the new world, she might change her tone.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

(First of all, let me say thank you all for the wonderful apps! Every single one of them were amazing, and y'all made it difficult for me to pair it down to just a few. Please, don't be bummed if you didn't make it in. Pairing down the choices was really difficult, and I had to spend a good long while thinking about.)

--

The past few days for you all have been… hectic, to say the least. A lot has happened, and the event that brought all seven of you together is almost a blur in your minds now, and you all now find yourselves in the office of one Beatrice Dawson, head of Dawson & Co.

“Ah, you all came. Wonderful.” She gestures at you at you all to take a seat, where each of you are served tea.

Taking a sip from her tea cup, she starts, “I so do love stories, don’t you? They take us to wonderfully imaginative places, and allow us to briefly forget about the harshness of life, but I wonder," she places her tea cup down on her table, "What kind of story do you wish to tell?"

She waits for you all to give your answers before she continues, "Every proper story has a beginning, so let us talk about your beginnings. Let us talk about the event that lead you all here."

She looks at you each in turn.

"Asakura Tsuki, the warrior from a faraway land. It was you who started these events, wasn't it? What caused you to jump in, and how did you drag the rest of them along with you?"

"Felix R Wainwright, the man who brings calamity along with him wherever he goes. Things almost didn't go well, did it? There was a big catastrophe that almost took all your lives, but you somehow preservered, and lived through it. Tell me how you all managed to fight back the calamity."

"Mimi, and her ever faithful companion, Buddy. It was your ingenuity that helped keep things from getting worse. In fact, you saved someone important, didn't you? Do you remember who it was, and what made them so important?"

"Winter Rose, the outlander with an insatiable appetite. I'm sure you must be quite pleased that you were given the chance to take down a mighty foe that day. Would you care telling me about the dangerous enemy you all fought, and how you won against that foe?"

"Ah, Zhalgandrai, the dragon-kin who broke from their bonds. I hope you enjoyed reading the last book I lent you. That was certainly an event, wasn't it? I heard you all drew some... unwanted attention from all of it. There is someone who you all drew ire from, and they now hate you. Do you remember who they are?"

"Stanton Dungrish, the one blessed by Trererion's light. It was you who banded them all together, wasn't it? How did you guide all these different souls to finally work together, as one?"

"Olivia Aurora, the elf of light. You noticed something during all that happened, didn't you? A sign that this was not the end. That there was something bigger in play. What were those signs you saw?"

She listens to all as you explain what happened, taking sips from her tea every now and then, and once you're all finished, she says, "Consider this the start of a new chapter. I wonder, where will your story go from here? There's a playful smile on her lips, as she lifts her cup close to her mouth, "I guess we'll see soon enough, won't we?"

"Ah! One more thing, since you all will most likely be together for a while, would you kindly tell me What are your impressions of each member of your group? Be honest with me, now, and don't hold anything back."

--

Your seven chosen adventurers are;

Olivia Aurora, the Elementalist, played by Arashiofordo3.
Asakura Tsuki, the Dashing samurai, played by Tricky.
Mimi, the Mechanic, played by TheFireMagi.
Felix R Wainwright, the Fool, played by Bad Seafood.
Stanton Dungrish, the Lantern, played by Infinite Oregano.
Zhalgandrai, the Dragon Mage, played by Takanago.
Winter Rose, the Outlander, played by Godfish.

I'll try to have the game up by the weekend, but make sure to answer all your pre-game stuff before then!

Apologies to those who didn't make it in. I really struggled making these picks, which says something about the quality of all your apps. Each and every one of them were great, and I would take more if I could, but I'm afraid 7 is my limit. Thank you all once again for all the incredible apps, and all the interest y'all have shown!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

quote:

Taking a sip from her tea cup, she starts, “I so do love stories, don’t you? They take us to wonderfully imaginative places, and allow us to briefly forget about the harshness of life, but I wonder," she places her tea cup down on her table, "What kind of story do you wish to tell?"

"A rousing tale of heroism, high-flying action, and, dare I say it, romance!"

quote:

"Asakura Tsuki, the warrior from a faraway land. It was you who started these events, wasn't it? What caused you to jump in, and how did you drag the rest of them along with you?"

"Ah, dearest Beatrice, it would be churlish of me to take all the credit! I am sure that none of these fine people would have stepped aside from such an opportunity for glorious heroism! But, as you say, I was the first to move. I am sure you are familiar with the Blazing Sands Railroad Company? They are hardly as benign as you might expect for purveyors of a complicated transit system! They are prone to laying their tracks according to the bizarre designs of their dreaded archaengineers and will destroy anything that has the misfortune to fall in their path!"

"We were all in the town of Paradise Peak, as it happens, and I was regaling a fine companion or two of some of my prior deeds in the local watering hole when the call of alarm came out as the black smoke was first spotted on the horizon! There was some initial call for a mad evacuation, but I put a stop to that with all due haste. These were their homes! Their livelihoods! Their surprisingly potable fermented beverages! No, indeed, as the dread form of the locomotive and its archaengineers became clear to view, I was the first to charge! Admittedly, I was shouting something about how it was time for all of them to launch the ambush and a contingent of dire steam warriors soon turned their guns upon them... but as I said! Who among them wouldn't have freely made such a choice? Clearly none would. Probably."

quote:

"Ah! One more thing, since you all will most likely be together for a while, would you kindly tell me What are your impressions of each member of your group? Be honest with me, now, and don't hold anything back."

"But of course! I shall endeavor to keep these brief."

quote:

"Dear Olivia has much to learn of the ways of the world, but none can fault the gusto with which she pursues life! Or, for that matter, most things that move. I find her attention quite flattering, that said, and will endeavor to keep her safe during the trials to come!"

quote:

"I must admit, I've never quite seen anything like Buddy! It is a force to be reckoned with, to be quite sure, and his small companion, Mimi, is quite lucky to have found such a magical suit of armor willing to protect her!"

quote:

"I don't quite know what to make of him! On the one hand, fate seems to pursue his demise with no little vigor. On the other... perhaps he's simply disguising his skill? I may need to test his mettle to find out for sure."

quote:

"Stanton is gruff, but wise. Old warriors oft have the most wisdom to share, though I'm not sure what haunts him so."

quote:

"How curious! A creature of legend, yet a person as well. Perhaps one day they'll dazzle on the battlefield as brightly as I!"

quote:

"She possesses immense appetites, the likes of which I have never seen before. I wonder what it would take to finally fulfill them? In any case, I am a much simpler sort. It only requires a good deed and rousing heroism to sate my tastes!"

Tricky fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 4, 2018

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

OPINIONS?! OH! OHHH! I HAVE SO MANY!!!

Ohh god, why is nearly everyone in this group hot? I mean, apart from Mimi. She's just super cute.

quote:

She's gorgeous! U-Uh, I mean, she's very pretty. Not like, you k-know pretty-pretty. Like, I'm not attracted to her deep amber eyes or her enchanting smile, why would you think that?!

Ahem, her carefree and justice driven personality is kinda refreshing. Plus, she seems really honest. I feel like I can rely on her. Maybe I should ask her to watch over my bed when we next make camp. If you know what I mean~ Hahaha... K-Kidding, I-I'm kidding! I mean... ahem. Let's just drop this here

quote:

AHHHHHH! Look at her little face! She is just the cutest little thing ever! That armour suit is really something too! It's like a statue that came to life! There was probably a book on that in the Liberty... buried under the tons of sand. Huh... W-Well, at least I can try and help her in other ways! I mean... uhhh

Maybe she likes cuddles?

quote:

I really don't know what to make of them. On one hand, the way he talks is just captivating. Sends little shivers right down my spine! Uh, the good kind I mean. On the other... I don't know, I always feel like he's making fun of me? Or maybe I'm making fun of him...? Like there's some kinda punchline right in front of our face and I'm totally missing it. But I think he's nice, and I mean, he's not like the last guy with the cute voice. At least he's not trussed me up in rope yet. not that I'd mind Eh? Oh, no, nothing! Just talking to myself.

quote:

His light is weird. Like, it won't react to my commands, and I can't feel it like like other light. It's honestly kinda scary. I really don't know what to make of it. But despite...whatever that means, he's nice otherwise. A little gruff perhaps. But he seems friendly. Oh! And his mask is sooo cool! He never takes it off, so he's all mysterious and stuff. But he really knows the lay of the land. I'd totally have messed up so many times if he didn't know what to do! Like... I'm not allowed in bars alone anymore. Ehehe, ahhhh...

quote:

They're hot! N-No! That's not what I mean! I mean, they're literally hot to the touch! and they're kinda hot, okay

I've never met a half Dragon before. But there's not... unusual. I don't recall anything about Dragons in the few books I could recover. So, everyone's really scared by them... but I don't get it? They seem more... standoffish, like old Mr Habberdabber! Like, he acts all mean, but he's just not good with people. They Zhal does really seem to like my staff. Maybe it's because it's so shiny?

quote:

Oooh! She's scary awesome! She can pick me up with one hand! It's totally terrifying! Not that I mind... hehehehe... Ah, anyway! When I thought of the brave barbarian warrior back when I read the old stories. I never thought she'd be a woman. But gods, it's a change I certainly don't mind. I mean, have you seen her ABS?! Have you touched them!? I did! It made me have feelings! Feelings that scare and excite me! Like half of this group apparantly

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 3, 2018

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Coolio hoolio! That said, I'm leaving (on a jet plane), and know when I'll be back again (July 3rd, late), so my full response will have to wait until then.

Tardzilla posted:

I've always liked stories where the little guy pulls through, and maybe where the bad guys, or some of 'em at least, ain't as bad as they thought they was. People are basically good, I think, just some of us tend to forget.

Tardzilla posted:

"Felix R Wainwright, the man who brings calamity along with him wherever he goes. Things almost didn't go well, did it? There was a big catastrophe that almost took all your lives, but you somehow preservered, and lived through it. Tell me how you all managed to fight back the calamity."
Shenanigans go here.

Tardzilla posted:

Well now, I've gotta be honest with ya: feelin' mighty outclassed with this bunch. You sure I'm in the right company?

Olivia Aurora, well, she's a right little spark plug, ain't she? Full a thunder and fire and spirit and such. Hear tell she comes from a venerable line. Always good to remember where you come from. I confess, I were a mite worried she'd be a bit stuffy, but she's an easy gal to know. Glad I know her.

There's there's that samurai girl, Asakura Tsuki. Like somethin' outta a dime novel. I tell you what though: she's a bona fide hero. Dyed in the wool. Reckon we could fit a few more of her kind, round these parts, only mendin' all them broken hearts might be a mint. Oughta take a little more care, there.

Wasn't sure what to make of that walkin' suit of armor there, when out pops little Mimi. Bit young for this kinda life, you'd think, but she seems to get by. She's a tough cookie, that's for sure - and workin' machines is honest enough sweat. Bit disconcertin' the way she talks to it though. Almost like it were alive.

Now Mr. Stanton Dungrish, boy howdy but ain't he just Biblical. Truth be told I always feel a bit nervous whenever he's lookin' my direction, like sittin' in church gettin' caught a spot of mischief. But then he talks to ya and you know, he's got this glow about him. Breaks the silence, nice and even, like the lake shore at sundown.

But that Zhalgandrai's a cold class of water. Strikes me an iceberg. You ever seen an iceberg? Saw one sailed down the coast one time, shipped in for drinkin' water. Real menacin' and majestic and all, only you never did see the bit below the surface. Anyway, sorry 'bout that; mind tends to wander. What were we on about? Oh, right, ol' Zhal. Well...

Winter Rose there's a mighty big gal. Feel like a china shop whenever she's close, like she gonna snap me in half and not notice. Seems well-meanin' enough, but she sure likes makin' a spectacle of herself. Thinkin' she could learn the value of keepin' a low profile.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 7, 2018

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Tardzilla posted:

"It'd be mighty nice to hear a tale of friendship and love conquering all... but I don't think that's how the world works. World-shakin' revelations and the unjust being cast down will suffice I'd think."

Tardzilla posted:

"Stanton Dungrish, the one blessed by Trererion's light. It was you who banded them all together, wasn't it? How did you guide all these different souls to finally work together, as one?"

Will answer this later once more of the story is forthcoming.

Tardzilla posted:

--

Your seven chosen adventurers are;

"Innocent and very... energetic. Her peculiar powers interest me though, wonderin' how she fits into the vision of Trererion or the greater scheme of things."

Tardzilla posted:

"A capital 'H' Hero, full of honour and courage. I approve, but out in the wastes this sort of act gets you killed or makes you a legend. Hopin' for the latter."

Tardzilla posted:

"This fancy technology can be useful, but it matters who's usin' it. She seems to be a dreamer, 'opefully she won't be disappointed."

Tardzilla posted:

"We should all make sure we don't get conceited, and look to him to strengthen our humility. Plus a life without humour ain't one worth living."

Tardzilla posted:

"Hmm. An enigma. I'll watch them carefully. If people can do terrible ills, imagine what legendary beings who are known for it can do. Hubris is hubris, even for dragons."

Tardzilla posted:

"Good. I like her enthusiasm and honesty. It'll serve her well when things get worse. Which they will. Plus a strong will and strong arm are a good thin' to have."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Zhalgandrai

Tardzilla posted:

"Oh, it doesn't matter to me," Zhal says. "Just as long as it's not the kind where the dragon dies at the end."

Zhal stares into their cup of tea. "Well, actually... if we're just asking from a storytelling perspective, it wouldn't be so bad if some of us were to find... I guess you could say our destinies at some point along the way. Or fates, or purposes or however you might think of it. Something grander than ourselves, maybe."

"Solely from a storytelling perspective of course."

Tardzilla posted:

"Ah, Zhalgandrai, the dragon-kin who broke from their bonds. I hope you enjoyed reading the last book I lent you. That was certainly an event, wasn't it? I heard you all drew some... unwanted attention from all of it. There is someone who you all drew ire from, and they now hate you. Do you remember who they are?"

"We did end up on the wrong side of Maria Blackheart. I'm sure you know her, Beatrice. She turns up a lot when you talk about money out here. As it turns out, she's one of the main investors behind the Blazing Sands Railroad Company, and she wasn't particularly pleased with how everything happened out in Paradise Peak."

"I think she might have been connected to a lot of the other things that happened, too. She's connected to a lot of things. Most of them disreputable."

Tardzilla posted:

"I would never hold anything back," Zhal says, uttering one of the least true things ever said.

Tardzilla posted:

"Olivia doesn't belong out here. She's bright, but she is also unprepared and unready. In the desert, she is like an herbivore among carnivores. If she isn't careful, she could very well befall a pitiful fate. I suppose she is lucky to have a group like us."

Zhal then goes quiet for a second, and then looks away and starts mumbling quietly. "Though in a way, nobody really belongs out here. The desert is a harsh place to all. Even I had difficulties when I first arrived. And she really is bright, and there may really be something to those powers she has. She has a great burden on her, put there by her forebears. And that's something I can sympathize with very deeply. I can just hope she comes out of this all right..."

Tardzilla posted:

"Asakura is much like the classical image of the storybook hero. But as it turns out, in real life those kinds of heroes can be egotistical, headstrong, and not very reasonable. Her talents are admirable, but her attitude is not. Also, she had better not pull any 'We don't need money' stunt if it's my payment on the line."

Zhal starts mumbling again. "All of that said, the kinds of things she can do... I'm sure I've never seen anyone else come close to in my life. She really is like a hero out of a story. It's all very impressive, when it works out."

Tardzilla posted:

"Mimi is useful to have around. Or I guess you could say Buddy to have around. Mimi herself... well, she's like Olivia. Weak and unprepared. I mean, after all, she's just a kid."

Then Zhal looks away and mumbles quietly once again. "But, on the other hand... is that really fair? She's more capable than I was when I was that young. There's a lot of things she doesn't know, but she's certainly not dumb. And if she has that suit with her, can you even really say she's not ready? ...Maybe I'm underestimating her."

Tardzilla posted:

"Felix is strange. There's no better way to say it than that. You may laugh at the dragon saying that, but it's true. He is not a man that makes sense. Not his actions, not the way he talks, and especially not the fact that he is still alive. I simply cannot understand him."

Zhal cracks a smile and starts mumbling and even giggling a little. "But even so he's... disarming is what I would say. Maybe even kind of charming. I can't rely on him, but I still kind of feel like... I might be able to trust him. I can't imagine him ever betraying anyone."

Tardzilla posted:

"Stanton has a strong moral backbone. An utterly unwavering one, I suspect. How that ends up working out, I suppose we will have to see. I certainly hope he does not think he can get in my way."

Zhal turns away and starts whispering very quietly. "I wonder what he'll think when he sees the worst side of me. It's easy to dismiss a lot of people's judgement, but I don't think I could dismiss his. I think I'll have to be very careful around him.

Tardzilla posted:

"Winter Rose..." Zhal's eyes narrow, putting on an air of hostility. "If she lived in a different time I'm sure she would have made a perfectly fine dragon slayer. She certainly fits the archetype. There's more than a few old legendary hunters just like her. Just as loud and gruesome. Maybe one day she'll kill something big enough to reach their level. ...If she doesn't die first."

Zhal starts to mumble again. "Though, honestly... she reminds me of a dragon, too. She's strong, she does what she wants, and she loves to fight. I mean, that's... me. And honestly if she wanted to fight, I mean... I wouldn't say no. I mean, not lethal of course.... That would actually be kind of fun. Almost like fighting for territory. I mean, how else would we know which one of us is stronger? ...Obviously me, of course."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

quote:

What kind of story do you wish to tell?

You make it sound so serious when you put it like that. It’s kinda spooky. Hm. Hmm. Hmm. I want things to be cool and exciting, and not so much scary. Scary’s bad. Well, sometimes? Sometimes scary is exciting too, but… well, as long as it’s fun and flashy with lotsa explosions and not gross I’m probably all right with it.

quote:

"Mimi, and her ever faithful companion, Buddy. It was your ingenuity that helped keep things from getting worse. In fact, you saved someone important, didn't you? Do you remember who it was, and what made them so important?"

Maaan, that sure was a hecka of a time, dealing with those railroad goons. Honestly, I was planning on evacuating with the townspeople, but then a lady with a sword charged in and then these steam-powered shmucks turned their guns on us… it was a mess! As much of a wrecking crew as we can be, there sure were a lot of them. We were outnumbered, maybe outmatched, buuut as scary as they looked, those steam machines had themselves some basic programming. And I’m talking like, real basic. Such is the problem with an outdated power source like steam.

The girl has a smirk that stretches from ear to ear as she says that, not at all hiding her mockery of the automatons.

Once I let that slip to the others, it was as easy as can be for us to outmaneuver those outdated models. Once it was all said and done, the people of Paradise Peak were thankful, of course. But in particular, there was this one dandy old man...

...who said his name was… was… give me a second, it was long… Frederick! Frederick Donally Hughes, the Second, at our service. That was how he introduced himself to us, and it was kind of what put me off the guy. I mean, who can trust a guy who introduces himself with three names? And a Second at that! Suspicious, if you ask me. But he seemed genuine enough when he was thanking us for protecting the town. Said something about being a scholar “who just happened to get caught up in this most unfortunate event, hoho.” Yeah, okay, buddy. No, not you, Buddy. Anyways, Freddy here said he’d be happy to treat us to something nice, if we ever met again. So hey, here’s hoping!

quote:

...Olivia Aurora, the Elementalist, played by Arashiofordo3.

Olivia seems nice, though she’s kinda too touchy-feely for me. I need my space, okay? ...I’m just not really used to all the hugs she likes to throw out. We were close, the kids back at the junkyard, but none of us were as physical as Oli can be. Still, can’t really complain about meeting friendly folk out here. Plus, all that stuff she does with light is super cool! Even if I don’t get a single thing when she tries to explain how it works.

quote:

Asakura Tsuki, the Dashing Samurai, played by Tricky.
Well, um. Where do I start?

The girl kicks her feet back and forth as she thinks, looking conflicted.

Asakura’s cool too. I mean, she’s like, a real hero! The way she acts and stuff. That’s cool. Wait, I said that already. It’s just, I don’t really get her, I guess? Not that there’s anything wrong with helping people! Helping people is good. Better than not helping people. But Asa’s just so… bold about it. It’s, I mean, I’m not trying to say weird here, but it’s kinda weird to me! She’s like… too heroic. Is that a thing?

quote:

Felix is, um. Um. He tries? Better to try and help people than not? I got nothing here. Okay, okay, that’s maaaybe a bit harsh. He’s funny, and a good storyteller, and I mean, he does try. Who knows if I’d do the same if I was a disaster on two legs like he is.

The mech creaks as it rests besides the girl’s chair, almost as if in response. The girl looks over, frowning.

...Well, I guess I screw up here and there too. But hey, if Buddy’s loaded with big, booming mining explosives, can I be blamed for wanting to use them!? ...Yes? Oh. Um. Anyways, uh, Felix! Felix is kind of an idiot, maybe a lot of an idiot, but he’s fun to hang out with. I’m glad he’s here with us, even though he can definitely be an idiot. Him, not me. Yup.

quote:

He’s an ooooold guy that wears a mask that goes around the wastes with crazy light powers, but not the crazy light powers that Oli has. Talk about weird! I don’t get what’s going on in Asa’s head, but gramps is like… super weird. Omega weird. Kinda quiet compared to some of the others we got around here, but I don’t mind that part. Actually, I don’t mind him much at all. He’s weird, and mysterious, and a little spooky honestly. But something about gramps here makes me wanna trust him. Besides, if he’s lived to be that old, he musta been doing something right with his life!

quote:

Whoa. That was what I thought when I first saw Zhal. Cause, like, she’s all horny! Actual horns! Whoa. It’s still kinda crazy to me. We heard about all kinds of weird and strange people from the traders back at the junkyard, but actually seeing them in person is completely different. Then again, this group has got all kinds of weirdos, huh. Honestly, I’m probably the most normal person here, and that’s including Buddy and all his greatness.

The girl raps the side of the mech affectionately.

Even Zhal can appreciate Buddy here, y’know. I’ve seen her staring at him from time to time, and when even a dragonlady can tell your mech is serious business, that’s how you know I did a good job fixing him up. That said, Zhal is pretty serious business herself. I mean that both in the sense she’s stern and a little harsh sometimes, and also that she literally breathes fire. Dang. As cool as Buddy is, no way he can’t do that.

Yet!

quote:

Rose is- Winter Rose? Is that her full name? I still don’t know. Winter Rose is…very… big? In the larger than life sense, that is. But she’s also very big! Way bigger than me. I wonder if I’ll be as big as that… not that I mind being small! Makes it easier to get around sometimes, as well as cleaning out those corners inside Buddy. Plus it makes piloting him feel super cozy. Still, growing a few extras inches wouldn’t hurt!

The girl coughs, realizing she’s gotten more worked up than she intended.

Ahem. But, yeah, Winter Rose. Larger than life. Hard to miss her, both cause she’s big and cause she’s always out there doing what she wants. Doing what you want is good, but something about why she does what she wants… I dunno, it just seems like for how lively she is, she can be kind of a downer now and again. Maybe I just don’t get it.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 9, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Tardzilla posted:

Isn't it obvious? The only kind of tale worth telling is one of adventure! treasure! conquest! success over impossible odds, great deeds and great feasts and slaying terrible foes. I want to do the kind of things that they'll still be telling the tales of it when only two people are left alive, they'll look back and have to know that I was the greatest person ever to live!

Tardzilla posted:

"Winter Rose, the outlander with an insatiable appetite. I'm sure you must be quite pleased that you were given the chance to take down a mighty foe that day. Would you care telling me about the dangerous enemy you all fought, and how you won against that foe?"

I won't downplay the archaengineers, I'm sure they're dangerous foes and a worthy challenge to my companions - even to me, perhaps, though I never had a chance - but there was one thing there that was far too deadly for anyone else to face... The Blazing Sands Locomotive itself! Not the usual engines you see riding the tracks, this machine is designed to lay the tracks as per instructed, consuming the ground in front of it to produce the material and place down the rail it uses to travel. Heading right towards us and the town, it had to be stopped even as the archaengineers did, and of course, I stepped forward. Lacking a dragon, it made an acceptable substitute, and the two of us put up a tremendous fight, Sigrid and I raining blows down upon it, breaking it up as it swiped and charged, trying to crush us beneath it's iron shod wheels! In the end, Sigrid dealt it a powerful uppercut, knocking it airborn long enough for me to get under, grasp it, and smash it onto it's back where it floundered like a gigantic sand tortoise, helpless and exposed.

Tardzilla posted:

She seems soft. Not the kind of person who should be in the Wastelands, perhaps she didn't have anywhere else to a belong, that's the case of many people here. Soft, but bold. And very pretty. The way she squirms when she looks at me... Delicious.

Ahh, now here is one who belongs in the Wasteland. A foreigner she might be, but she's no more out of her element here than I am. Can she out drink or feast me after a bloody battle? I doubt it, but I'd like to see Sigrid cross blades with her one day, and cross limbs too. I'm sure she'd be an adventure.

Mimi is a strange one, a child in body, and she seems like she might be in mind too, but not in spirit. To manage what she has in the Wastelands is an impressive feat, and keeping her Buddy from all the threats is impressive. I have no interest in it myself, aside from thinking what it would be like to fight. Perhaps not as deadly as a true monster, but certainly a challenge and a good fight. Are there others of its sort out there, waiting to be fought? I can only hope.

I wonder. Can anyone really be as helpless as he seems, yet so successful? I'd suspect a mask, but I've yet to see it slip. If he is who he seems to be... I pity him. But they say the difference between idiocy and wisdom is luck. He might be an example. Has he ever even fired that gun of his? I've yet to see him, for all he postures with it. His personality can be off-putting, but if was drunk I think I could see taking him for a night. Good looking boy.

Why wear a mask, unless you have something to hide? He has both the experience and wisdom from battle and years, but what lead him to this place? A bounty on his head? Past sins? And why has no one heard of him or his light until he turned up in the Wastelands one day, knowing the place as well as anyone can? I want to know who he is, but for the moment, I'll let him keep his secret until he gives me a reason to force it from him. For all his deceptions, he feels honest enough.

Why?

Every time I hear news of a dragon and manage to track them down they turn out to be a person with dragon blood, a scrawny yet hot body, and not a giant scaly monster I can kill for glory?

Zhal... is... I want to fight them, even with their form, I can feel they'd make a true battle of things, strength battling strength, and force them back to submit to my will. If no true dragons are there for me to fight, a false dragon will have to do. And more than that, I want to take Zhal to bed and feel them writhe under me, the two of us fighting for domination there as well... What a night that would be...

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Tardzilla posted:

Um, a story where my my friends and I don't die horrible deaths...? That's not an option? Ah, Um, well. Romance and adventure. Maybe a happy ending?

quote:

"Olivia Aurora, the elf of light. You noticed something during all that happened, didn't you? A sign that this was not the end. That there was something bigger in play. What were those signs you saw?"

The light, it touched these people. Sorry, that doesn't explain it very well. The Light stopped on them. Like actually stopped. It was like it was saying, "Stay with them". I couldn't ignore the significance. They're tied into whatever the Light needs from me. I know it. So I umm, I did what I could to convince them to say. Smile, flutted my eyelids, begged if I had to. They're staying for now. It feels good to be with people again. Maybe they won't even try to kidnap me!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Late to the party, but is recruitment closed for this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Nonexistence posted:

Late to the party, but is recruitment closed for this one?

Yes I'm afraid picks have already been made.

• Locked thread