Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Dehuai's fantasy is to be the best oniichan he can be. Women who aren't burdened by magic destinies or outright cursed just don't do it for him. Although if he's that jealous of Zhuzhen, he could do better by not going out of his way to have his own younger goofy underling as a counterpart to Yuri. One of him is enough, we don't need some other weirdo who also follows orders to compulsively stalk random women and harass old folks just because someone told him to.

The Dark Id posted:

This is the reason we equipped everyone with Rosewood Bracelets on everyone.

Redundant use of "everyone" here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

The Dark Id posted:

That's about all there is to say about Transformed Li Li. We came prepared to this fight with a really good counter elemental Fusion and everyone equipped with accessories to negate one of her.

Spirits in the heavens! Our beloved magic user will be coming under you care.

Should be "hers" and "your".

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Its nice that whoever did the in-battle character models decided to pose Alice's death pose in a... more... natural... position.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

The Dark Id posted:

That's about all there is to say about Transformed Li Li. We came prepared to this fight with a really good counter elemental Fusion and everyone equipped with accessories to negate one of hers.

Somebody already submitted a correction for this segment, but the last sentence still makes no sense at the end. I think making that end with "one of her attacks" or something along those lines would help immensely here.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like that after the party defeats Li Li for real Dehuai is trying to play it cool as if it's no big deal. And then as soon as he gets back to his evil lair he starts freaking the gently caress out because the party just keeps foiling his plans. And probably dreading Roger Bacon hearing about this too because he just knows that smug dick would rub all these failures in his nose.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So you think they gave Sea Mother a proper burial or do you think they just tossed her over the side?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Kinda hard to do either since her body faded away.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Allthough now I wonder about how well Dehuai's planned this thing with Li Li. Seeing as how Li Li's first act was to deathcurse Alice, the one person 'Tiny' presumably needs alive.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

DeafNote posted:

Allthough now I wonder about how well Dehuai's planned this thing with Li Li. Seeing as how Li Li's first act was to deathcurse Alice, the one person 'Tiny' presumably needs alive.

Dehuai is both terrifyingly powerful and bad at his job.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

Master Zhuzhen? I never imagined he still lived.

I never imagined he'd still live.[/i]

Is that intentional?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ratoslov posted:

Dehuai is both terrifyingly powerful and bad at his job.

So far the only characters who seem to be good at what they do are Zhuzhen and Sea Mother. Everyone else is at least a little bit questionable.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

ultrafilter posted:

So far the only characters who seem to be good at what they do are Zhuzhen and Sea Mother. Everyone else is at least a little bit questionable.

Alice isn't questionable. Her job is passing out on the ground like a sack of potatoes, and she is an absolute champ at that. World-Class.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

What do you mean? Yuri is amazing at his job.

(His job is hitting things. Saving people or whatever is really more of a side gig.)

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode XXII: A Rainy Day Fifteen Years Ago

Music: Blow Up

Welp, it only took an exorcism and one fatality, but we've made it safely to Shanghai.

We've made it up to Sweeper in our useless Score screen. Maybe it'll calculate our Rooder Points at the end of the adventure, too.

Some major regions in Shadow Hearts have their own sub-maps. Shanghai is the first of 'em. Even back in the 1910s, it was one of the biggest cities in China and by the 1920s it was in the top five biggest cities in the world. I suppose it deserves its own map even if we'll be confined to like three blocks and maybe an evil sorcerer tower for the duration of our stay.

Before we venture into Shanghai properly, we're going to do so first in another flashback...

New Music: God Knows Bad News
(For when things aren't going well.)

Err... Present day is 1913... Fifteen years ago would be 1898. Pretty sure they just hosed up and got the last two digits reversed here. Whoops!

Zhuzhen collapses in the street.

Whichever year it is, it's not been a good one for Zhuzhen...

Wugui of Kowloon and what definitely aren't two palette-swapped duplicates of him sans the ponytail surrounds the fallen Zhuzhen.

An Adept of the highest rank… fallen.
Kee-hee-hee!! Y’didn’t really think we’d letcha get away, did ya!! A little fly like you, always flitting about, causing trouble for Master Dehuai?! No, sir!
That wassa cheap trick throwin' a rake in his path like that! You gonna pay!!
Y’know what happens to flies, old man? They get SQUASHED!

Zhuzhen climbs back to his feet. All three men jump back and assume a fighting stance. Fortunately for them, he immediately crumbles back to his knee.

Hee hee hee… You’re a fine bunch. Attaching yourselves to the infamous Dehuai and calling him “Master”.
You should have seen him back when we were training. The only thing he was a master of was debating. Repeatedly. Three times a day. I'm surprised he hasn't lost an arm going at it that much. Hee hee...
Shuddup! The master doesn't debate! He orders and we obey!
That's not what I was insinu—you know what? Forget it. This is lost on you fools.

If you wanted a master, you’d have been better off declaring loyalty to one of those mangy street dogs!
<steps forward> Hmph, scum! After that torture session, it’s amazing you have any energy left to oppose the Master’s teachings. Of course, a maggot like you can’t really be expected to comprehend the greatness of Master Dehuai…
…Greatness?! Greatness, you say?! That’s a good one!! Wah ha ha ha ha! That’s a real side-splitter!! I think I’m going to die laughing!!
Owww! Crud... that's a cracked rib... Oh ho ho...
<yells angrily> Enough!! Shut up, you maggot!! Lord Wugui, let’s kill him and be done with it!
<turns away> Still, there’s one thing I do not understand. Why do you oppose the Demon’s Gate Invocation?

The Demon’s Gate Invocation! If we can destroy Japan, we shall send a clear and firm message to the West!
<turns back to Zhuzhen> Do you know any other way to maintain peace on this continent?!
Hmph! I’ve no use for such drivel! Destroy Japan?! A warning shot to the West?! You’re a fool! That’s not what a Demon’s Gate Invocation is about…
Are you EVEN LISTENING to the name of the thing you're trying to bring about!? Does that REMOTELY sound like it's a good, easily contained idea!?
Sure, like he says, it might be easy to blast Japan out of the water! But… just one misstep… and you could wind up blowing the entire world into oblivion!!
<yells angrily> Shaddup! As if you know!!
Oh, I forgot. Who was the Adept of the highest rank here? Was it you Generic Goon #2? Oh right, now I recall. It was me! So YES, I would very much know, kid!
<approaches Zhuzhen> Bah! I could stand here all day explaining it to you… you’ll never understand.
Plus, I'm getting uncomfortably soggy hanging out in the rain like this.
Same!
Yeah, boss! This sucks...

Alas, it seems our discussion has now come to an end. Allow us to aid you on your trip to hell.

<Quiet Male Voice> …Hold it right there.

Colonel Ben Hyuga strolls onto the scene with... some guy...

This ain’t no show, man. Get outta here before you get hurt!
<shakes head> It seems the streets of Shanghai have become considerably more dangerous than I remember them…
Another thing I'll need to fix while I'm here.
Y-you’re Japanese, aren’t you?! Butt out, buddy, or I can’t guarantee you’ll get outta this alive!
W-wait! These people have nothing to do with this! S-sir. Gentleman from Japan. Please be on your way. There’s no sense in you getting hurt, too.
He’s right. It would be wise not to meddle in things that don’t concern you. No good will come out of opposing us.
I’m sorry, but I heard you were in league with Dehuai. I simply cannot ignore you.

Music: ENDS

<shakes head and dismisses him> That is of little importance… to those who are about to die.
I'll make it quick. From the looks of you, I doubt it could go anyway but quickly.
Heh heh… what an amusing joke!! All right, fool! We’ll see who’s about to die!!
You. We've discussed this.
No, I meant that we were gonna—FORGET IT! Get his guy!

Music: Brain Hopper

This game really doesn't care to animate human enemies if it can help it, so the two generic mooks have transmogrified into a couple of Kappa. They're monsters in disguise. They can do that, apparently. This is not the last time they'll handwave this kind of thing.

So, we're playing as Colonel Hyuga for this flashback. He is essentially just a Level 40 Yuri. He's strong enough on his own to send either of these Kappa or Wugui to the Fiddy Zone. But hey, that'd be boring. Especially, since Ben Hyuga comes packing a Fusion we've yet see in the game.

Time for a rough night on Bald Mountain, fuckers. Boy that sure looks a lot like the Gargoyle from Koudelka.

The Czernobog Fusion can delete a large amount of MP from an enemy using Spirit Pollution. Enemies do have limited MP stocks but running out rarely ever comes up in any battle. Not too useful here. Release Magic buffs the entire party's Special Attack Power for 5 turns. Don't think that one is necessary either. But Revelation... I think we've seen that one before somewhere...

Ah, right. It's the attack Roger Bacon used to wreck Yuri's day on top of the train during the prologue of the game. Let's give that a whirl.

Well, the Kappa duo is sent to the Fiddy Zone, never to return. Disappointingly, it seems Wugui of Kowloon has some manner of special ability that absorbs magical attacks. Good to know for future reference... Folk from Kowloon shouldn't be attacked with magic.

With that in mind, turns out getting your poo poo kicked in by a devilman going hog is not something Wugui can just brush off.

Wugui falls to his knees and punches the ground on his defeat. Hey, now. Nobody likes to see a sore loser.

That concludes our time playing as Ben Hyuga. No experience is granted to the Colonel for taking out jobbers like 35 levels under him.

Music: ENDS

<shakes head> I’ve changed my mind. I will not kill you. Run back to your master and tell him this: “A man has appeared, who is coming for you. Until he arrives, live out your remaining days in fear.”
Grrr… You… you will regret those words!!
It's not even a well-worded threat!
True, it needs some workshopping. But I'm VERY wet and don't have the mood to recompose it. Go before I change my mind.

Seems Dehuai taught Wugui the arts of Coward Teleportation when he gets his rear end kicked. It's probably one of the first things he was taught, given Dehuai's success record portrayed.

Colonel Hyuga and... friend... turn their attention to Zhuzhen.

Ugh… I’ll be all right… Heh heh heh. Not to sound ungrateful for your help, but… I don’t… exactly… Consider myself so old yet. Urgh…
I'm somewhat aged, at best.

Zhuzhen gets back on his feet.

I thank you for coming to my rescue. My name is Zhuzhen. I’m an Adept.
It would appear so.
E-exactly what… sort of person are you?
I'm from Japan.
Yeah, I can see that... I meant more the turning into a devil thing...

<nods> The Fusion technique… I heard about it a long time ago, but I never expected to see it myself… Heh heh… how amusing to hear that fiend call YOU a demon… Talk about… the pot and the kettle…

Zhuzhen loses his balance and falls back to his knee.

drat! If I weren’t in such a state, I’d have made short work of those bastards. Urgh… Owww…
<shakes head> Heh heh. It’s clear that your injuries haven’t affected that mouth of yours.
The shop I run is just down the way. Come with us, and I’ll treat your wounds.
And by "shop," I mean "bar" and by "treat wounds," I mean "get you liquored up while I find a doctor."
Th-there’s no need for that. I’m feeling much better already… Much bet… O-ouch…!
It's only a cracked rib. Or eight... Y-youch... Just give me a minute...
Hah! Come, Master Zhuzhen. I will carry you there. <walks up to Zhuzhen and bends over>
Wait, wha...!?
Hop on, friend.

Fade to black. End flashback.

New Music: Swindler - Shanghai Mood
(Yep. That sure is a Chinese city theme.)

The next thing I knew he was carrying me piggy-back, and I could feel my face burning red!
<turns to Alice> He was an incredible man, and handsome to boot… so much so that he almost had ME swooning! Hah!
Took all my will not to pop a bon—blood vessel blushing... Cough...
Goodness! Was he really that strong? He must have been amazing. And he had Fusion powers, just like…
…You… you don’t think he could be Yuri’s…?!
Finally, one of you got it. I'd been dropping context clues like nobody's business... Sheesh!
<points to Alice> You guessed it. You’re not going to find too many people in this world who can wield Fusion. But I just can’t make up my mind to tell the kid, you know… I guess I’m too much of a coward…
And then? What happened to Colonel Hyuga after that?

Zhuzhen turns back to the window and sighs.

The city’s completely changed, too. I feel like… I’ve been left behind to grow old and decrepit…
I'm not the spry young man in my early 50s like I was back then...
Zhuzhen…! What are you saying? You’re still plenty young!!
You don't look a day over 49.
Heh heh heh. It’s nice of you to say that. You’re a sweet girl.
<laughs>

Alice walks over to a bed to find Yuri dead asleep.

And here we are in Shanghai and everything!
Ha ha ha… He’s probably sleeping off the effect of his seasickness. Everybody’s got their weaknesses.
You don't think he... heard any of what we were talking about, did you?
Hey, kid. It's incredible how much more of a chiseled god of a man your father was compared to your sad, lanky butt.
<snore>
...Yeah, he didn't hear any of it.

After all these years, I feel like wandering around a bit, maybe stopping by an old friend’s place.
Tee-hee. All right.
He's got a bar down the street if you need me.
Don't stay out drinking all night with your old friend.
I don’t expect to be out all that late.
Just gonna get a healthy morning buzz going. It's how I keep fit.

And with that, Zhuzhen takes off. Tune next time as we hit the streets of Shanghai with the old Adept, reminisce about old times and maybe see a weird live action FMV show while we're there, as Shadow Hearts continues!

Video: Colonel Hyuga Stomp Match
(You should probably watch this.)

Colonel Ben Hyuga Portrait – Zhuzhen forgot to mention the part where falcons would just land on his shoulder when his steely gaze locked on to him. :allears:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 30, 2018

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Good ol' Benny

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yuri's Rooder Score would be the highest possible. No one is rooder than him. That's why he's called the Rood Hero.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Fun Fact: There was a fourth Shadow Hearts game that was planned before Nautilus got dissolved, it was going to star a younger Ben years before this flashback happens.

Also,

quote:

Ugh… I’ll be all right… Heh heh heh. Not to sound ungrateful for your help, but… I don’t… exactly… Consider myself so old yet. Urgh…

quote:

<nods> The Fusion technique… I heard about it a long time ago, but I never expected to see it myself… Heh heh… how amusing to hear that fiend call YOU a demon… Talk about… the pot and the kettle…

these should probably be Zhuzhen's portrait.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 30, 2018

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Accordion Man posted:

Fun Fact: There was a fourth Shadow Hearts game that was planned before Nautilus got dissolved, it was going to star a younger Ben years before this flashback happens.

Really? That's a shame; would've been interesting to see what weirdos Ben was hanging out with, maybe see if he was the straight man of the group. Hell, what kind of crisis did his group divert? If my history wasn't so laughable, I'd probably be able to make a decent guess.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Really? That's a shame; would've been interesting to see what weirdos Ben was hanging out with, maybe see if he was the straight man of the group. Hell, what kind of crisis did his group divert? If my history wasn't so laughable, I'd probably be able to make a decent guess.
There was only one another character that was planned for it before the idea got scrapped and it was (Spoilers for a character in Covenant) Kurando's dad.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Well thats a better way to have a battle-including flashback about the main characters father, than having ones consciousness sent back in time and possessing the father.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Why does Wugui have a stretchy Dhalsim arm when he punches Ben?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Nohman posted:

It's just what happens to people from Kowloon.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Hell, what kind of crisis did his group divert? If my history wasn't so laughable, I'd probably be able to make a decent guess.
Japan was involved in the reformation, the civil wars following the reformation and a take over of Korea and parts of China. Europe was mostly peaceful, barring the scramble to take over Africa.

A lot of Japanese students were sent to Europe and America, so I'd say that's enough historical inspiration to have Ben and friends exploring the Wild West.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
If Zhuzhen’s flashback was in 1898: dies that mean tgis was going on the same time our favorite trio were having their little adventure in Wales?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Accordion Man posted:

Yep, they were going to make a proper Shadow Hearts 3 (the third game, From the New World, is a spin-off) starring young Ben/Jinpachiro. It got conceptually far enough along that young Hyuga Sr. got some concept art.

Nohman posted:

Magic.

HR12345 posted:

If Zhuzhen’s flashback was in 1898: dies that mean tgis was going on the same time our favorite trio were having their little adventure in Wales?

Yes, 1898 was a busy year for weird occult bullshit in this universe.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 31, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

There was only one another character that was planned for it before the idea got scrapped and it was (Spoilers for a character in Covenant) Kurando's dad.

Wasn't the black bat from FTNW going to be a character too? Or maybe that was early fan speculation.

I always figured that it would work since he'd be the obligatory Valentine character.

Also, drat what a difference between Yuri and the Colonel are when using their Fusion. Yuri has a nervous breakdown screaming in pain but the Colonel just stands tall and grunts, even when using something as big and badass as Czernobog.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Shitenshi posted:

Wasn't the black bat from FTNW going to be a character too? Or maybe that was early fan speculation.
The latter, though its educated speculation considering that Joachim and Hilda both had early cameos too.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

The Dark Id posted:

With that in mind, turns out getting your poo poo kicked in by a devilman going hog is not something Wugui can just brush off.

There's a word missing - whole hog or hog wild?

Also is it just me, or is some of the game's dialogue translated awkwardly? For instance: "I’m sorry, but I heard you were in league with Dehuai. I simply cannot ignore you." That may be accurate, but it's not the best flowing English I've ever heard. Stylistic choice?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Or he might just not be terribly fluent in English/Chinese/whatever they're speaking.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The Japanese text there is normal from what I can tell, so it's probably just a slightly clunky way of saying that he couldn't overlook what was going on (because he heard of them being in cahoots with Dehuai.)

He's not quite as polite in the original though, he doesn't apologize and pretty much calls them worthless small fry.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Kanfy posted:

He's not quite as polite in the original though, he doesn't apologize and pretty much calls them worthless small fry.

Hyuga traditions going strong, I see.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XXIII: Under New Management

Music: Swindler - Shanghai Mood

We now find ourselves playing as Zhuzhen for a while since Yuri is taking a nap and somebody needs to move the plot along until he wakes up. Silent Peddler is chilling out upstairs in his continued lowkey stalking of the party. But we didn't really jog much while stuck on a boat. So, he can be ignored for now. Instead, let's go downstairs and chat with Margarete.

Yeah. Thought I'd go kill some time.
Maybe have a drink or two with an old friend.
It's around 9:00 AM...
Early bird catches the worm.
Huh. I didn't know that idiom was referring to alcoholism.

By the way, you haven't seen our two smuggler friends, have you?
<shrugs> They both left a little while ago. Seems they had someone to meet... more shady business, I'd guess.
The way those two greenhorns looked after that encounter I wouldn't be surprised to bump into them at the bar.
It's like they saw a ghost.

What a metropolis Shanghai is! I just went and had a look... it's nothing like Fengtian or Dalian! Hee hee. Want a date? You don't want to wander around the big city all alone, do you?
I'll manage. Make sure those two youngens don't get cursed or kidnapped by wizard minions or the like while I'm out.
Your loss.

Let's hit the town! The bar Zhuzhen wants to visit is the building just to the south of the Cypress Hotel we're staying in. Which obviously means that's the last destination we'll venture toward. Also, right across the street is a chest nobody seems to be using. So, let's do the touristy thing and immediately raid its contents.

Naturally, a new staff that just happens to be Zhuzhen's forte is hiding within the said chest. It'd be rather awkward if he raided it and there was a weird bible or a gun inside. This rod grants 17 Physical Attack and 24 Special Attack which is double the strength of the one we purchased him for real money in Dalian and he went on to use for all of one boss battle before ducking out of the party for an entire chapter. Wee bit of buyer's remorse for that one now...

Anyway, let's see what's happening in town today.

I don't think "training" is the word I'd use for the lesson he is going to get taught.

At around sundown, he transforms into Bumming a Few Bucks Off His Mates For a Pint Miha.

Sure enough, that is the exit to Shanghai. Come to think of it, I think this is the first area we've been to that had a proper exit from it you could reach at any time. But despite that, Zhuzhen refuses to leave town just yet. He just got here!

It's a little late for that, my guy...

In the clutter near Hasty Kawa, we can rummage about and find yet another Lottery Ticket. The game is really frontloaded with handing these out like candy and becomes far stingier as we progress to the second half. Also, if you'll look to the barrel at the bottom of the screen, Zhuzhen can dig through that like a weirdo to discover...

It's the second tier of MP restorative items. This one will top off a healthy 100 MP on use. Who would leave a precious rare seed that only drops once every other year in some back-alley barrel? Highly suspect behavior.

Even though it was a fishing boat, there wasn't a single fish on it!
Trust me, you wouldn't want any fish from that boat...
Oh? Do they not handle their load properly?
Let's just say there are cursed conditions on that old tub.

If we continue to the east, we'll come upon another adjacent street with several points of interest. For instance, could you guess there are two items staring you in the face right now on this very screen?

No, of course, you couldn't because they're bloody invisible until you walk over them. Hugging the righthand side of the street will produce this first item...

Holy man Hylas sure looks an awful lot like an anime schoolgirl... Unless that is supposed to be one of those water nymphs that abducted him like a chump. This is an upgraded revival item. Crumpling this up and tossing it at unconscious party members will revive them with 50% of their total life. That's OK I guess, but I wish all the alcohol-based consumables from Koudelka stuck around. The concept of reviving someone from being KOed by shoving a bottle of whiskey in their mouth was fun/dumb.

A second new item is found also down the street by some shelves just under the balcony on the bottom right building. It's another one of those weird buffs that rejigger the Judgment Wheel's layout and we'll probably never use. Also, this Blue Dragon really needs to get itself checked out if these gnarly things pass for horns.

Nobody on this street has anything too interesting to say. It's all mostly variations of everyone being worried about the Japanese army showing up in town. A lot of that going around China these days.

Further down the street, there is a new shop being run out of some kid's house. We're just going to remember it's here for now. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to go shopping with just the single party member on hand. Plus, there might be a way to get a further discount on items in the near future. We'll be back another day.

If we keep heading further down the street, we'll eventually come to the docks where the Smuggler's Boat can be found. Kawashima and Kato are nowhere to be found and the ship's wheelhouse is no longer accessible, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to see here. If we go below deck, we find a little boy is squatting in the crew's quarters...

I could debate this point, but you're probably right...
C'mon, this is your chance to win big! What'll you do, pal?
...Come again?
Did I hear a "Count me in" just now?
No... What are you even doing? What's with the changed voice? A lottery what...? I'm very confused right now.
Ask the boy in the trench coat. He knows all about us.

Turns out Sharp Van is actually Lottery Member Number 12. We definitely want the top prize from this kid. This Lottery Judgment Wheel spins way faster than usual, so it's tricky get. But...

The Star Card grants the party the chance to receive a 20% Discount and 10% Price Raise in stores. That was worth the effort of reloading from five attempts.

With the Star Card acquired, we're more or less done with all the optional bits of Shanghai's streets. Again, we'll wait to shop until we have a full party. So, let's head back to the first screen...

The ENTERTAINMENT SHOW bar just across the street from the gang's hotel is where we want to go to advance the story. As soon as Zhuzhen sets foot inside, we're whisked away to another scene.

Music: Army Mood

Ah, it’s been awhile, Lieutenant Suketani. At ease, please.
Ma’am how are we doing on the “package” for the mainland? The special charter is ready.
Yes, about that… I was thinking we might postpone it for a bit.

There have been developments we need to study before moving forward just yet. I need to look up documentation on... materials I was not aware were things I needed to be worried about...

Ghosts...
...Mhm. That would be one of the new developments...

Kawashima walks over to her desk. Kato joins at her side.

<nods> Yes, please do. Lieutenant Suketani, how’s the investigation coming along?
Yes, ma’am. We’ve managed to get our probes rather deep inside.
<turns to his men and motions them out>
<stand at attention and leave the office>
<notices Kato is still here>

Suketani walks up to and death stares Kato. It is very uncomfortable.

Ah, yes. I forgot to introduce you, Suketani. This is Sergeant Kato. You may talk in front of him.
Is that right. Then you must excuse me, Sergeant. My apologies.
<nervously shakes head and wipes the sweat off his brow>

Suketani returns to his position to finish giving his report.

It seems that it is YOU who are under investigation, ma’am. You’re safe with me, but please stay alert.

I’M being investigated?! It must be a spy sent by one of my father’s political enemies… The Capital is a pit of schemes. I’ll be careful.
I swear, you indulge in the local cuisine one time and flippantly mention it's better than anything back home and some peon trying to get one over on you reports back that you've gone native...
Please continue with what you were saying before.
Yes. Dehuai, who’s fighting against our Japanese army, is planning a Demon’s Gate Invocation. But he still needs a few more things to cast the Taoist magic needed for the invocation.
A few more things?
Also everyone is readily going along with magic being in play here?
Were you not, ma'am?
I had a strong skepticism on any reports. That stance has changed recently...
Going to see those flaming skulls in my nightmares...
Quite... So, what else does Dehuai need?

Kawashima walks to the office window.

Dehuai must also banish the four gods that block the ceremony by protecting the earthly veins. It appears that all of these factors must be in place to make the ceremony possible. In the past six months, Dehuai has collected the Black Tortoise, the Blue Dragon and the Red Phoenix.
<nods> So the only one left is the White Tiger, then… And where is the White Tiger? Do you know yet?
It’s in Wuhan. More precisely, it’s sealed in the temple ruins on the edge of Wuhan.
Of course Dehuai knows this? Then before it falls into his hands, we must send troops to seize it.
We’ve sent forces there… twice. But…
However?
Every last man was lost. Not a single survivor. Some terribly powerful monsters have made a nest out of those temple ruins.
You didn't feel it prudent to mention you were repeatedly sending men into a meat grinder?
I did. Just now, ma'am.

Are those monsters protecting the White Tiger? And I wonder why they picked such a troublesome spot…?
I don’t know. But apparently, Dehuai isn’t able to handle them, either.

Wh-what is it, Lt. Colonel?
I’ve just had an idea!
A… an idea?

<turns to Suketani> We fight fire with fire. We defeat the monsters with a monster…
I know just the rude hero and gullible accomplices... Let's go.

Music: Swindler - Shanghai Mood

Meanwhile, we regain control of Zhuzhen back at the ENTERTAINMENT SHOW bar. As we enter, we see a poster sign reading.

Qiuhau's Chinese Fiddle Performance, Held Every Day!!

We'll take a look around in just a sec. First things first...

LOTTERY TICKET: GET!

The local bar patrons are none too helpful or friendly. They're probably annoyed the establishment doesn't have any chairs to sit in. You hate to see budget cuts like that. Anyway, let's see if the bartender will be more helpful.

Just tell him Zhuzhen is here.
Sorry, sir. The boss isn’t in.
Doesn’t this place belong to Mr. Zhen?
Zhen? Can’t say I recall the name…
Let’s stop the kidding around, shall we? I’m talking about that young lady’s father. <motions to the poster near the entrance>
Oh, if that’s who you mean, just have a seat. He should be along any minute now.
Keep some pocket change handy if you don't want to get pestered.
He’s not… the owner of this place?
Hah, give me a break. This place changed hands years ago.

Go have a seat. The show is about to start.
...I cannot help but notice there aren't any chairs.
Maybe your friend Zhen took them all with him.
Service has certainly declined since I was here last.

Zhuzhen makes his way to a table as a young woman enters the stage with a Chinese fiddle. Which leads to...

Video: Quihua's Performance
(:siren: Hey go watch this! It's one of the only times in the game Zhuzhen gets voice acting. :siren:)

Quihua bows and briefly exits the stage to put her fiddle away. When she returns to the stage, she notices Zhuzhen watching.

Uncle Zhuzhen!!

Quihua runs up to Zhuzhen.

It’s good to see YOU! You look well. In fact, you haven’t changed a bit!
Like... literally. Are those...the same clothes, even?
Some looks don't go out of style.

So how’s your dad? How’s Mr. Zhen?

…What’s the matter?

Mr. Zhen walks into the room and starts begging for handouts from people watching the show.

What do you want now, man?! Begging for coins again, huh? Fine! I'll give you some!
Don't say I wasn't a reasonable drunken hooligan.

Zhen walks over to the other patron.

Gyahaha!
<turns around and notices Zhuzhen>

That’s right, Father. Uncle Zhuzhen is back.
Can you believe it? He hasn't changed one bit. It's a tad bit creepy...
Gee thanks, kid.

Y-you’re alive…?! But… how?!
What kind of greeting is that for an old friend? Fifteen long years, and you look like you’ve seen a ghost!
You were gone for fifteen years and Dehuai is still around, so... It was a reasonable assumption.
They tell me this place has changed hands. Is it true?
Err… Erm… Yes, it’s true.
Aw, come on! What’re you being so formal with me for? That’s no way for the owner of this place to…

I just said I don't own this bar anymore, so could you stop before—
…I am the owner of this business.

Out strolls Wugui of Kowloon.

Music: Misfortune - Psycho Temple

So you’re still alive…
Heh heh… I believe that’s my line, Master Zhuzhen.
Did literally everyone think I was dead?
Yes.
Mhm.
<frown>
...Huh.

I’m finally back from Kowloon, and I find myself meeting old faces. Let me welcome you properly.

Master Wugui, please leave Uncle Zhuzhen alone. He just came here to see father. That’s all. So please… Please…!
<turns to Quihua> M-MASTER WUGUI?!
Why act so surprised? Didn’t I just tell you? I am the proprietor of this place. Once, Zhuzhen, Zhen opposed Master Dehuai. Now, he and his daughter are among my employees.
<turns to Zhen> I-I can’t believe it! Is this true, Zhen?!
...Yes.
<shakes head> H-how could this have…?
Hah ha ha ha ha!! What’s the matter, Zhuzhen? Shanghai’s changed! Now then, to begin the welcome banquet! You remember how to play the old game, don’t you?!
No transforming foreigner to babysit you now.
Is that what you called it when he handed you your rear end?
You know... I'm going to let you have that one since you're about to die.

You two!

The two patrons Zhen was begging to step forward.

<turns to Quihua and motions to the door>

Quihua runs out of the bar.

I'll take you first, old man.
Feel free to both come at the same time...
I ain't splitting a reward with this chump!
Hey!
Sorry, man...
<shrug> Your funerals.

As with during the flashback to the fight with Wugui, his minions transform into Kappa when it's time to throw down. This Kappa has raised stats compared to its early predecessors.

Which means it takes TWO Ogre Flamedances to kill one of 'em instead of just one-shotting them. I don't think it would have mattered if they teamed up.

Well, in that case… In that case, if I win, I get this place as my prize.
I didn't win this place in a card game, old man. I bought it. With money. I'm not putting it up for beating my cronies.
…Hmph. In any case, your attempts will prove futile. You’re far too old for this.
Shouldn't you be pushing your '40s by now? It's been fifteen years for you too, you know?
<enters fighting stance> Not bad, gramps. But can you hold up? Maybe it’s time for a prayer.

Spoilers: It does not go well for Hoodlum Kan either.

Music: Misfortune - Psycho Temple

Your arts are as sharp as ever, even if you yourself haven’t fared as well.
Have I not aged a day or have a deteriorated into a mummy? All of you folks are giving me really mixed signals.
Hmph! Are you quite finished?
Enough talk. Now you face me. Heh heh heh… You DO remember, don’t you?! Your magic has no effect on me!

...poo poo...

So, remember in the flashback with Ben how Revelation, one of the strongest single spells in the game, healed Wugui of Kowloon?

Yeah, that's not changed at all. Turns out folks from Kowloon can simple absorb all magical attacks. Considering Zhuzhen is just barely past Alice as the weakest physical fighter in the game... Yeah, that could be a problem here.

Apparently, Wugui has been doing some Yoga practice because he also possesses some bizarre stretchy arm powers like Dhalsim from Street Fighter. For when you really want to deck someone but walking across the room is simply too much of a trial.

Zhuzhen can put in some work trying to beat back Wugui with physical attacks. Unfortunately, that's not quite enough to beat up this mid-boss. Especially since he'll begin using turns to Defend which leaves Zhuzhen open for retaliation. But really, all we need to do is keep Zhuzhen alive until Wugui decides to use his ultimate attack.

Game of Death is an instant kill attack. There are still zero accessories that prevent Death status up to this point in the game. There's absolutely nothing Zhuzhen can do to prevent from getting incredibly owned here.

I can't believe Zhuzhen is loving dead.

Video: Wugui Stomp Match
(You should probably watch this.)

Wugui of Kowloon Art – Who knew Bruce Lee ripped off a magical stretchy Triad guy from Kowloon this whole time?

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 5, 2018

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Okay, those Mana Seeds look more like pistachios than mystical seeds.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Dark Id posted:

Yeah. Thought I'd go kill some time.
Maybe have a drink or two with an old friend.
It's around 9:00 AM...
Early bird catches the worm.

I wouldn't have pegged Zhuzhen as a tequila man.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

You know I thought those rapid cuts for Game of Death in the update were just a funny thing you did to play on the name.

Then I watched the video and saw that was in the game to begin with :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love that this part of the game is basically a kung fu movie with slightly more wizards than usual.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Wugui's acting like Dhalsim with rickets is one of the best things.

SKBasis
Oct 27, 2007

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a hamster balancing Kirby on a parasol -- forever.
College Slice

The Dark Id posted:

Qiuhau's Chinese Fiddle Performance, Held Every Day!!
Video: Quihua's Performance

I looked this up out of curiosity - her name is most likely 秋花 ("autumn flower"), which is romanized as Qiuhua and pronounced roughly "chyoo-hwa". Not "queeha", as Zhuzhen's voice actor would have it. I'm only guessing at the actual characters here, but there's a real-life fencer and Wushu practitioner named Wu Qiuhua and that's how she spells it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I am surprised the game just took the old trope of four elemental temples away from us and reduced it to just the Tiger.

On the other hand it still loves those unwinnable bossfights.

(And thats not the voice I expected for Zhuzhen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

You can't fool me, game. Those are clearly just pistachios. :colbert: