Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I miss koudelka's voice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Update at the bottom of the previous page incidentally.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Brainamp posted:

I miss koudelka's voice work.
The series never regains the quality of Koudelka's voice acting, but Covenant's dub is a big improvement over this one.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 27, 2018

Sterski
Jun 30, 2014
I love it when players get mad at bosses for using the same tactics they've been using the entire game.
"What? He healed himself? That's not fair!"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Accordion Man posted:

The series never regains the quality of Koudelka's voice acting, but Covenant's dub is big improvement over this one.

yeah, there's a few voices that are off, but at least they dubbed everything

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

quote:

It seems my kind has grown its only genre of monster genre fiction over the years.

This sentence parses a little strange. "grown its own genre.." maybe?

quote:

If you only count the children that were abducted today. That we know about... Then yes, that is current.

Correct?

quote:

[i]By the way... did you happen to like find that magic book?
Nah.
That's probably someone we should leave lying around...

Last sentence should be "not something we should leave lying around."

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

I really, really wanna know what the hell this was in Japanese

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I think Mammon is another mistranslation, it was probably supposed to be maman, given Jack's um, fondness for a certain someone. And while this section can only look like a footnote to Koudelka's storyline, I still think this it's pretty drat spooky all on it's own. Between the Oedipus complex doctor, the mass child murder and logs of said child murder, and all that murder of course turning out to have not been worth it even if this guy's plans did go swimmingly, I think it works because this is like the preliminary stages of one of the Asia chapters. Zhaoyang and Dalian were already cursed a long time ago, for all that did go wrong here in the past, there was plenty more that could have happened.

Although the real horror we have yet to see and what I can only imagine is what skeevy Meiyuan would have done to Halley. I've forgotten what happens if you go forward with it and drat is ignorance sweet.

The Dark Id posted:

A monster?! <turns and looks at Yuri>

I checked the game script and this should be Zhuzhen saying it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Camel Pimp posted:

He just says Yuri's name. The whole "Thou hast not won even once" seems to be a bizarre invention of the localisation.

[e]: Double checked. Yeah, any time that phrase appears, just pretend it doesn't exist.
[e2]: It's intentional - it's a repeated a few times as a motto between Halley and his mother when they reunite.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 27, 2018

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

So I looked up a Japanese LP and, near as I can tell, the line is just "Yuri". That's it, which makes it even more baffling in the English version. Best guess I have is someone screwed up on the script somewhere in the programming phase and put someone else's line there.

Incidentally, that pausing between sentences thing is also in the JP version of Halley's flashback story. It doesn't make it better, but at least it explains why the English version does it.

The Dark Id posted:

and 120-30ish for Halley since he's weak to Wind damage.

Should be Earth, I think.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

So a low-level spirit is equivalent to a dude with a gun if you want relative power levels with the spirit realm.

No the power of a low-level spirit is equivalent to being upside-down. He also has a gun, but that's seperate.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Jack having multiple personalities might be a reference to Norman Bates? Even if it is, it still feels really tacked on.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, Nementon also had about three other hideous torture murder dungeons in its history? So, y'know, typical Wales. The mansion seems suspiciously light on ancient past atrocities to power up the weird bug monster.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Pesky Splinter posted:

He just says Yuri's name. The whole "Thou hast not won even once" seems to be a bizarre invention of the localisation.

[e]: Double checked. Yeah, any time that phrase appears, just pretend it doesn't exist.
[e2]: It's intentional - it's a repeated a few times as a motto between Halley and his mother when they reunite.
VVV

I always figured the "thou hast" weirdness was just some catchphrase or turn of phrase that just didn't translate, but the truth is even more confusing. The hell.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So if Margarete is Mata Hari is Jack supposed to be the Ripper? I know none of what Jack does matches up to the Ripper's activities but Shadow Hearts.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I can kinda see someone designing him with Jack the Ripper in mind, then the history nut on the team going "guys we're set like 50 years after that, that's dumb". But they already had the whole dungeon and creepy orphan murder coded so hell with it, put him in anyway and just change a proper name or two.
Granted they also seem to have gone forward to 2005 and seen Majima's design so maybe they just don't operate in linear time.

CmdrKing fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 28, 2018

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sterski posted:

I love it when players get mad at bosses for using the same tactics they've been using the entire game.

It is when even chump bosses have ten times the hit points of the entire party.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Fairness is frequently not fun when applied to the AI in games.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Now I want a mirror match in an rpg where.the other "team" uses tactics the game has learned from you against you. That would be funny

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I remember a game like that, can't remember what it was called sorry. You had to be careful when you used certain abilities to avoid the enemy from learning how and when to use them too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

I remember a game like that, can't remember what it was called sorry. You had to be careful when you used certain abilities to avoid the enemy from learning how and when to use them too.

It's a 3rd-person stealth game, not an RPG, but ECHO does this.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Really Pants posted:

It's a 3rd-person stealth game, not an RPG, but ECHO does this.

To explain a bit more, Echo's whole thing is that you have to make your way through levels filled with evil clones of yourself. At the start, they will wander back and forth in set patrol routes. As you make your way through the level, the lights will turn off and on. Everything you do while the lights are on gets recorded and becomes something the clones can do during the next light cycle. So if you spend all your time crouched and sneaking, so will the clones. There's more to it, but it's a neat system.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Brainamp posted:

To explain a bit more, Echo's whole thing is that you have to make your way through levels filled with evil clones of yourself. At the start, they will wander back and forth in set patrol routes. As you make your way through the level, the lights will turn off and on. Everything you do while the lights are on gets recorded and becomes something the clones can do during the next light cycle. So if you spend all your time crouched and sneaking, so will the clones. There's more to it, but it's a neat system.

So if you take half an hour and jump in place when the lights are on?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Gharbad the Weak posted:

That won't do anything but let them jump.

The enemies always pursue you. They just learn different ways to do so.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

then the clones murder you irl

e: while jumping

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 30, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is ECHO worth buying? I keep looking at it and it looks really good.

Sterski posted:

The problem is it generally adds nothing to the fight beyond frustrating the player and sandbagging the fight into tedium. You go from doing a pleasant-feeling rotation of damage every turn to just plinking away a fraction of that as the rear end in a top hat heals the majority back every so often.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Sort of not exactly the same thing, but in the Final Fantasy games, Blue Magic is the magic of monsters, and you typically learn any magic by either watching them use it or to have them use it directly on you. Healing spells need to have the enemy be charmed before it will cast them on you, and so forth.

Anyway, in the final dungeon there's a boss called AzulMagia. He uses typical and kinda weak Blue Magic, but woe be to you if you use high end Blue Magic on him, because he will cast that poo poo straight back at you the moment you do. He's easy enough without Blue Magic, and I have a feeling that it only comes up if you go "HMM that seems suspicious, I wonder what'll happen if I try it!" but it's still kind of amazing, to me at least.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

imho all bosses should heal, but only as part of a pattern or form change

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is ECHO worth buying? I keep looking at it and it looks really good.

ECHO is good

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Charlett posted:

Anyway, in the final dungeon there's a boss called AzulMagia. He uses typical and kinda weak Blue Magic, but woe be to you if you use high end Blue Magic on him, because he will cast that poo poo straight back at you the moment you do.

On the other hand this includes Self-Destruct.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is it generally adds nothing to the fight beyond frustrating the player and sandbagging the fight into tedium. You go from doing a pleasant-feeling rotation of damage every turn to just plinking away a fraction of that as the rear end in a top hat heals the majority back every so often.

Haha, heals the majority. Ha.

Nyx's charm effect says hi (charmed party members can and will cast the FULL HEAL SPELL on it). :suicide:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
It occurs to me that the whole "hideous rituals to incarnate a dead loved one" is one of the nastier possible tricks you can play on people as a villain. It's pretty much by definition preying on people at some of their lowest moments.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Schubalts posted:

Nyx's charm effect says hi (charmed party members can and will cast the FULL HEAL SPELL on it). :suicide:

Literal chills went up my spine as I read this. :gonk: Thanks for the flashbacks, pal!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Jetrauben posted:

It occurs to me that the whole "hideous rituals to incarnate a dead loved one" is one of the nastier possible tricks you can play on people as a villain. It's pretty much by definition preying on people at some of their lowest moments.

BRB writing a novel about an ancient satanic ritual to pay off your student loans.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

BRB writing a novel about an ancient satanic ritual to pay off your student loans.

That's just Choice of the Deathless.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
On no! Today's all Saints' Day!

The Dark Id posted:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode LIII: Mental Care

On to our next destination -- Calios Medical Hospital. Which seems to be somewhere on the coast of Norfolk County, England. That's about a 150 miles from London, give or take. I hope Esper Oliver Twist had stolen some drat fine walking boots before we set out on this journey. If you're wondering, Calios Mental Hospital is not a real life location. That's pretty easy to tell as soon as we see the joint...

Music: Castle of Silence

How did we end up on the Los Illuminados Island off the cost of Notspain? I'm pretty sure a fat guy with a chaingun is gonna rush out to fight as soon as we approach that gate.

Yuri takes a few steps forward. A pair of goons run out from the guardhouse.

The Calios Mental Hospital doesn’t allow visitors! Get lost!
Get out of our way!

Music: NDE - Near Death Experience

We're immediately cast into a battle against Guard A and Guard B which have both transformed into Specters. That's not the game freaking our anything. Their default battle stance is actually floating in a T-Pose with the X-Axis tilted about 45 degrees. They've also gone from dumpy dad mall cops to blind zombie women that look like something out of a latter Silent Hill game. There are a lot of questions raised about all this and I have very few answers.

Despite wearing black robes, naturally, the Specters are Light elemental enemies and will spam Nova, a Light element attack that hits the whole party for a small bit of damage.

They're also capable of shooting bullets out of their hand like Lord Saddler in the one weird, janky boss fight at the end of Resident Evil 4's Separate Ways scenario. This barely does any damage but has a very rare chance to inflict Confusion. Very rare as in we fight like eight of these guys during this dungeon and it happened exactly once.

Everyone pitching in with their basic attacks is more than enough to send the modern Catholic Inquisition off to meet the lord. If you jerks see James up there, tell him he's still a bigoted rear end in a top hat.

You call this a mental hospital?! More like a fortress!!
It’s true. No patient has ever made it out of here alive.
<laughs> Well, doesn’t that sound like fun. I’ll be careful not to go nuts and wind up here!
Yuri, you were in an actual fortress and crazy just a couple months ago.
Tch. That was a castle, thank you very much. And it didn't look half as sketchy as this place.
It was full of ghosts and owned by a vampire.
Yeah... It was! My statement still stands.

At the same time elsewhere...

Is something the matter, Viscount Rausan?
I’ve just received word from the gate. Just as predicted, the bandits have arrived.
Bandits seems a touch unfair a term for that lot.
I have reports they regularly steal money from the pockets of their slain foes and raid every chest or shiny trinket they come across.
Hmm... When you put it that way. Regardless...

So, they have now made it this far! I presume they have come for the woman?
…Of course. But they’ll be surprised to have the tables turned. Vulgar lot playing right into our hands. How lovely.
Good man. Your reputation as the last true leader of the Temple Knights is well deserved.
I heard rumors a band of assassins had done quite a number on your order in recent years. Your men seem to be terrified of anyone wearing a hood. Curious...
<sigh> Let's not get into that here...

Your powers may be on the wane, but surely you have no plans to retire, eh, Friar Knight Rausan?
Is that sarcasm? Do not misunderstand me, Lord Bacon. I’d not have joined with you were it not for that girl. She may be the last witch of this age. I’m interested in the power she carries. She may be a heretic, but her power seems to be God-given… Now, it wouldn’t be much fun if I let such a precious girl go under someone else’s control, would it?
<steps forward> I understand. Anyway, I’ll count on you to finish them off. But one of them… Please keep in mind, however, that the Elliot girl must be taken alive.
<nods> Hmph, yes, of course. Well then.

Viscount Rausan wanders off.

Heh heh heh, don’t let him get to you. I’m sure he will do fine work for us as a pawn.
<nods> I sure hope so.
If nothing, he'll do an admirable job delaying them for hmm... Well, you've fought with that lot more than I have. What do you think?
Six minutes. Tops.
Oof... A merciless diagnosis. I'll give the poor chap the benefit of the doubt and say last at least eight minutes.

So, Lord Bacon. What do we do now?
We wait.

Bacon walks to the very obvious secret entrance to a lower level.

Will it be white or black? The mother’s heart residing in her breast or the stoic witch mask?

The secret entrance slides open.

Which will be the victor? That is what we are about to see.

Roger enters the basement.

We're now free to enter the mental hospital proper. Before we proceed, there are two items hidden just out of view right before Yuri. In that little guard post... cave entrance deal to the left, there is...

A new slingshot for Halley. He'll get a decent amount of use from it here. Not once did it inflict Silence. In fact, come to think of it I've not seen ANY of his slingshots actually inflict the status ailments they claim to potentially cause... Oh well, it still has +8 Special Attack power over the previous model.

Behind the gate to the right of the guard post is an accessory which halves the encounter rate. There's really no reason to use this... mostly. It's easy to overlook, especially when the game has auto-leveled characters that left the party for extended periods of time and most areas have consisted of forced party configurations until very recently overall. But, Shadow Hearts doesn't give EXP to bench warming characters. That's kind of a big issue when Halley is forced into the party for two dungeons and Alice is kind of essential too. We're going to get out of here with those three around Level 36-37 meanwhile the rest of the party back in London are sitting around ten levels lower. I think poor Zhuzhen will be eleven or twelve levels behind everyone else. We could mitigate that by easing the throttle on random battles, but... We also are probably going to have Yuri and Alice as beefy as possible, so...

Whatever, we'll cross that bridge of grinding off-screen to get folks back up to snuff when we get there. Or just use Halley and Alice forever like the last playthrough of the game I did.

In any case, let's head into the asylum proper. For a chapter named "Sealed Mansion," they didn't even bother locking the front gate. But, as soon as we enter the front door, the party is met with...

Say your prayers, heretic monsters!

It's just another fight with these guys. They might repeat this battle several times. I guess technically they count as mid-bosses since they're scripted fights and the enemies never show up again and are not part of the random battle mob pool. They're still chumps.

After that short tussle, we're free to explore this passage. If we check the first two, I think we may have card suits key gimmick naming conventions going on in this mansion. They're really doubling up on the Resident Evil type shenanigans here in Shadow Hearts.

If that wasn't enough, there's also emblems coins that might have to be placed in specific slots. Perhaps to open a secret passage we saw in a scene just a few minutes ago involving an underground lab? hidden vault, maybe? We'll have to keep an eye out for both of those.

Agents of the witch! We will not allow you to see your master!

But for now, more jobbers! Again, these guys don't get progressively higher stats or anything. They just copy and paste that one fight for every Friar Knight goon.

In this hallway, we find the doors for the Spade, Diamond and Club Keys. We'll just remember they're all there for the inevitable runback through the dungeon that Shadow Hearts loves to do. Gotta get the most out of those assets! You know, except for Kowloon.

There's also a Lottery Ticket at the end of this corridor. It's in a dang chest just right there in the open. That seems like it should be illegal.

Continuing along the path, hey... We saw this room once before in a Roger Bacon and Arcane Olga hanging out being evil interlude back in Rouen. Approaching the electric chair results in...

Wh-what is this…?!

There are several flashes of light and Halley collapses to his knees.

What’s wrong, Halley?!
<stands back up> I-I feel my mother’s spirit from this chair…! Yuri, I think my mom’s already…
Don’t say that, dummy! We’ve got to look for her. We can’t give up!
She probably only got a TINY bit of torture, is all. Everyone's been through that. Alice got electrocuted by an evil sorcerer for like a solid week when me the others chased down Bacon to Hong Kong without her and she's fine.
...That's not reassuring.
Sure it is.
It's really not.
Not with that attitude.
The others were right. You're really bad at this kinda thing...

Moving right along, hey we're back in the chamber with the secret passage Roger Bacon went into. Unfortunately, it's sealed up again. And also, if we approach it we run into...

Hah! Those’ll make nice last words for ya!
We clearly have an exit and you're boxed in, guy.
That's what you think, heretic!
<shrugs> Blah blah. Just turn into the dumb floating ladies like the other dudes, already.

Shockingly, it goes poorly for the Friar Knights.

They call themselves “knights”! They’re nothing more than monsters!
Hahah! I’m not holding back on you, buddy!
They're already dead, Yuri.
Yeah. I kept my word.
That's not how that taunt works...
Just let me have some fun. We've been doing nothing but walking places like 90% of the time since I got with it again. Sheesh!

It's pretty hard to notice in a screenshot and I'm not wasting a gif on a shiny item, but there is another coin just above the Friar Knight's corpse.

If we check the corpse itself, we get a... guys, you're leaving syntax errors in the script localization now...

Is it more prison than a hospital? There doesn't seem to be ANY patients or prisoners here outside of maybe Halley's mother.

If we examine any of the fountains in this room, there's a tiny switch at the bottom that Yuri can flip a coin into in order to activate. Yuri... why can't you just shove your hand in the water and press the switch? If you have to keep all four switches pressed, I dunno... get a rock from outside? Use that dead guy's shoes?

Fine... whatever! We'll get all four coins from across the mansion! Back to the first hall with the Heart Key locked doors.

Music: NDE - Near Death Experience

Of course, Calios Mental Hospital is home to more than just Templar zombie ladies with a jacked up X-Axis. There's a small handful of other nasty critters lurking about. A new variant of the ridiculous dogs with a hand growing out of their maw, now dubbed Meat Eater, is here. They can cast Lightning if they feel so inclined but are otherwise nothing to worry about.

A baffling new enemy type is the Doom -- a naked woman with leprosy doing a handstand and holding a stake with her brain stuck to the end of it. Yeah... OK. She can do acrobatic tricks to either cast Rock Storm to hit the whole party for marginal damage or cartwheel over to stab a party member with her brainstick. It's honestly impressive she can hold onto that thing so readily with just her two toes.

If we don't run into that mob of enemies, we will run into a swarm of Buggs. These are just giant roaches. That's much more comprehensible than anything in the previous group. Bugs just run over and bite a party member for a tiny bit of damage.

They can be a bit aggravating because they will also randomly inflict just about every standard status effect. Thankfully, the whole group can be exterminated in short order with a decent magic attack. Charon's Nightmare does the trick pretty well. Most of the time... There is, however, occasionally a special Bugg is in a group almost always in the back center of the formation. This one will be especially durable and tank a high-level magic attack. If it's not killed immediately, on its next turn it copies and casts that same magic attack it was hit with the first time back at the party. I was extremely surprised to have a drat overgrown roach cast Nightmare which one-shot Alice with Death Status, took Halley to like 20 HP and nearly killed Yuri too. That's the closest I've come to a Game Over in this LP playthrough and it's from an insect that has less than 200 HP.

It's also worth mentioning that Buggs are enemies from the original Koudelka. They were virtually identical. They just came in smaller groups because that rotten combat engine couldn't handle more than four enemies on the field at once.

Back to the task at hand, about that Heart Key Door...

Not the most inviting patient rooms. But also not the worst I've ever seen. Still, nobody here that looks remotely like a patient of the facility.

The chest near the door holds another weird status boost item coupled with a story that sounds highly suspect. There's SO many in this drat game. It's ridiculous.

The chest near the shabby bed in the center of the room has, what do you know? Another card suit themed key!

That key opens this here door in the next hallway. Inside is a chest which contains...

...Another key to a room in the same hallway. OK. I mean, you didn't HAVE to stick to the card suits naming scheme if you didn't need to use four separate keys.

The Diamond Key opens the door to this room which contains a shiny on the floor and nothing else.

Is that really demonic? It just looks like a ram head. Poor male sheep get such a bad rap just because they've got cool horns. Society is cruel like that.

The last door in the hall opens up to the final coin we need for that fountain "puzzle" for lack of a better term. The second door from the left is still locked with a Spade Key. We'll need to keep an eye out for that one.

Psh... I'm not interested in any dragons unless they're committing wanton murder with a buddy.

We can now return to the water fountain room and proceed to use the four coins. If you thought there would be some manner of a puzzle here as to the order the coins must be cast into the fountains, you thought wrong! Yuri just tosses 'em in their designated fountain and...

Hmm?! A hidden staircase here?!
No puzzle or anything? Just key items in the right slots? Lazy as heck. C- Grade hidden passage.

Down we go to the mysterious dungeon. In a building that essentially already just one big dungeon. Seems kind of redundant to me, personally... Before stepping forward, we're going to do a mild bit of prep work in the form of equipping everyone with an accessory that guards against Silence. Alice has the Crucifix and is pretty much never going to take it off. The other two can get by with Bell or Cosmic Bracelets.

When we get to the end of the hall here, we find...

<fiddles with door> Arg!! This key doesn’t fit!!
Why would it fit there, Yuri?
I dunno. Wishful thi—

The room flashes and Halley's Mother chimes in.

Mid-boss incoming... Be prepared...
Oww! Geez! I swear if she's in the next frikkin' room and is still using my head as a radio...

Mom! Mom! It’s me, Halley! Are you in there?!

Whoa whoa whoa, kid! Could you NOT do your raging super teen act while we're in an underground secret passage?! That'd be great!
Ah hah hah hah hah… You miss your mother’s milk that much, do you?!

Viscount Rausan wanders over. Halley chills out with his power-up.

Literally, who are you supposed to be? Alice, are we supposed to know who this guy is...?
<shrugs and shakes head>
Halley, do you know this guy?
He's dead meat if he's hurt my mom!
So that's a no... What's your deal, guy. I'm gonna forget you as soon as you're dead on the floor in like five minutes, but...

This is our mental hospital. The patient in that room is special. She’s not ready to be released.
Let my mother go!
So, are you a doctor or...?
I am a Viscount of the Friar Knights, scum.
Yeah... I dunno what most any of those words mean, Mr. Knight Scum.

<shakes head and shrugs> Give it up, you heretic slime. You’ve picked a fine place to meet your doom. Time to meet your Maker.

Tune in next time as we fight Viscount Rausan a floating robed pregnant woman with a second head growing out from where her legs should be. Shadow Hearts, are you feeling OK lately...?

Video: Episode 53 Highlight Reel

Viscount Rausan Portrait - The smug jackass with the '90s douchebag haircut part in Asia was smart enough to nope out of the plot as soon as he encountered Yuri and the gang. Will his Europe counterpart do the same?

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 5, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

None of these monster designs scream "Temple Knights sworn to Jesus", but what do I know?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Have we seen any human enemies since the Japanese soldiers way back when?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Dark Id posted:

A new slingshot for Halley. He'll get a decent amount of use from it here. Not once did it inflict Silence. In fact, come to think of it I've not seen ANY of his slingshots actually inflict the status ailments they claim to potentially cause... Oh well, it still has +8 Special Attack power over the previous model.

The percentage for the few character weapons that have the chance to inflict status effects is something like 20%. And, obviously, if that enemy is immune it doesn't work.

Keith's the only one with a higher percentage 25% of instant death, and one weapon that has 100% chance...but of course with the usual enemy immunity stuff it works on barely anything by that stage.

Speaking of Keith's weapons, he's actually got a cut sword.
Sword of the Berserker

Enchanted Sword. Turns wielder into a killer.

Sword formerly owned by the cursed knight, Brom. Causes wielder to transform into a butcher. Its blade is said to moan and give off light in combat.

You're meant to be able to buy it in London, but in the non-Japanese versions it's replaced by another sword. Maybe they thought the ring was too difficult or something :shrug:

Yeah, it's just a ring with insanely narrow hit areas

Back on topic, I love the strangeness of the enemies in this game. It would have been easy just to do a regular degular ghost, but no, it's lying on its back, and jerks up when moving, before flopping back down again. It's so weird. I love it :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This dungeon always sticks in my mind. Mainly because of Rausan because man that is a weird design. Very Shadow Hearts though.

Also Buggs make me laugh. I think they're also one of the ratings you can get in the score system and oddly quite high for some buggs.