Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

They stopped Dehaui. I didn't say they stopped Seraphic Radiance itself. Albert has a way of moving the goal posts right as the party makes it to the finish line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

pretty much, if Simon wasn't there to finish the job, Shenghai wouldn't have been blown up.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode LXIV: Yuri's Awakening

Music: Atmosphere - Blow Up

We've got seven days until Space God moseys his rear end here from the M72 Nebula to destroy the world. At least, according to noted bad at time management warlock Albert Simon amid villainous cackling and desperately trying to avoid any further debris beaning him in the head during the float's rising. Naturally, with this limited timeframe the most responsible course of action is a training montage backpacking across Europe and dicking around in past locations we've visited. Side quests beckon, Albert Simon and the end of the world can wait.

Our current ranking has us on par with Amon, which is just stronger than Jack's Mom but weaker than one of those creepy chubby naked angel babies. No relation to the giant cannibal space baby Grotesqueries.

After Final Fantasy X, any JRPG endgame bollocks feels like a cake walk. Shadow Hearts' in particular is mostly fairly straightforward stuff. Well, straightforward if you look up what the hell the game wants out of you. The bulk of it requires bringing specific party members (or in some cases having specific folks NOT in the party at the time) in order to trigger bonus events. For this first session, we're gonna need both Zhuzhen and Alice to be in the active party.

We'll just be working our way backward across Europe doing sidequests we come across as we move along. That seems the most efficient way of handling things. Every location, save Calios Mental Hospital for some reason, has some new content. Today's session will take us back to Nemeton Monastery to mop up any outlying content that can be squeezed out of Wales.

Music: Callback from Jesus

One thing we need to do is to AVOID ever talking to Roger Bacon until we're absolutely ready to advance the plot. Speaking with Roger again won't lock us out of any side quest content but it WILL lock in which ending we receive and I'd prefer to keep that open until the latest time possible. We don't need Roger for anything just yet anyhow. Instead, let's go back to the monastery ruins to the north, where...

Zhuzhen dashes over and starts examining James O' Flaherty's grave.

What's up, Master?
I'm just checking this grave out. It's been bothering me since before.
<squints at grave> What's this written beneath... "He... never... scored"? I wonder what that is all about.
<turns back to Yuri and Alice> Don't worry. I'm not up to any tricks. You guys just go kill some time somewhere.
As usual, your curiosity is way out of control, pops.
Whatcha tryin' to get good measurements for your headstone when you kick the bucket?
Eat me, junior.
Nah. We'll give you a proper burial. Not a fan of munching on dried up jerky.
Hehe. That's awful.
Just get lost for a few minutes. Sheesh.

Well, anyway... c'mon, let's go over there.

Yuri and Alice head into the ruins.

Music: Trip or Treat

We’ve come a long way, huh…
Both literally and figuratively. Glad I never had a place to squat or else the bills would be piling up back home being gone this long...
<turns away> Yuri… do you regret it? I mean, coming this far.
Regret? Haha! What’re you talking about!? No way!
I've got to punch new and exciting things. I can fuse into a buncha freaky junk. I've met a buncha weirdos and I even get along with some of 'em. It's been great.
<walks forward> You know, until I met you, I was living the life of a loser.
I was fighting guys and monsters and junk all the time and I was still Level 1... What was I even doing with my life?

Yuri walks to the edge of the ruins.

I know that I’m needed.
People are like "Oh hey, it's Yuri!" and not "Oh HELL, it's Yuri!" There's a lot less screaming and running when I'm around. I'm kinda OK with that...
My power of fusion, which I thought was so terrible… is what allows me to protect you. Sometimes, I even think such stupid things like, boy, is this happiness? Ha ha ha! I sound stupid!
Yuri…
I don’t know how this battle is going to turn out, but… The day you die, I’ll die too.

<starts pacing> The night of the storm… I was just a kid, and I couldn’t protect my mother from the monsters. But somehow I survived, thanks to my power. Ever since then, I cursed my own existence constantly. I asked myself… why do I have to be all alone? What could I have done differently that night…? Why didn’t I die…
That time?
Yeah. That night was the beginning of everything…
Is it cool if I flashback here? I won't if you don't wanna.
No no... It's fine.
'Kay, cool.

Music: Don't Cry My Vampire

We lived in kinda a crappy cottage. Mom kept talking about maybe getting a bed for us to sleep in sometimes instead of just lying on the floor each night. But it never panned out...

Anne Hyuga looks out the window then turns to Young Yuri.

Spring’ll come soon, then once it warms up dad will come back!!
Yes. Then all three of us can be together again.
<nods> It’s not too long now, mom. Even if you miss him you gotta be strong!
<laughs> Well!
Oh yeah! Know what? There’s something I wanna have!! It’s… a little brother or sister!!
My! Right away?!
Lihua told me! When mommy and daddy are together, they can make babies!
You gotta do something called the "grinding bones" ritual and then boom! Babies! I can go find some bones to help if you want.
That is... that's OK, sweetheart...

They have seven brothers and sisters over there! That’s what I want!!
You better hurry up if you're ever gonna catch up! They're making you look bad!

Anne gets embarrassed and walks away.

Privately. You may have to sleep over with one of your friends one night.
Really? I'm allowed? Awesome!

<turns back toward Yuri>

Anne walks out to the window and looks outside.

Wh... Who’re they?!

This... can't be good...
<looks to the door> I got it!

Yuri runs toward the front door.

Huh?

Music: ENDS

Two men shuffle into the cottage.

What’s going on?! You all look so weird?!
Wow, I never noticed how similar they looked. Mom, are Maki and Lihua related?
Now's not the time, Yuri...

Two more identical men amble into the home. Yuri runs over to his mother.

<Maki's Uncle> Hehehe. Here's some fine food.
<Lihua's Dad> Gah hah hah heh heh... The Earth Sage sent us here to eat the two of you!
<Neighbor Liu> Bwahaha. Yum-yum!
<Kang from Down the Road> Kuhuhu. I like to participate in community gatherings.

The four zombified men surround Anne and Yuri. The two hug each other in fear.

No! Not him!
M-mom! I’m scared! What happened to them?!
Hehhee! This is so fun! But no matter how much I eat, I never get full.
All you can eat buffet... now it's a challenge.
S-stay baaaack!

Young Yuri lunges at one of the possessed cannibal men. It goes about as well as you'd expect...

Turns out Anne Hyuga had a glass jaw and a very fragile neck because that backhand kills her. Unlike Yuri...

Young Yuri immediately pops back up from his slap as soon as his mother goes down.

He does not take it well...

:siren: CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO! :siren:
(This scene gets voice acting. All the playable characters get a narrated voice acted scene for their bonus side quests.)

Music: Someone's Table

My mother gave her life protecting me from the monsters.

But when I looked into her eyes a moment before she died, it awakened in me the blood of my father that had been lying dormant.

A fire ignited within me...

...and my emotions exploded like a hurricane!

I don’t really remember anything after that. The next thing I knew, the room was littered with the torn-up body parts of the monsters that had killed my mother. I was the only one left alive in the house and covered with blood. I clung to my mother’s cold corpse all night long, weeping and begging her to forgive me... For breaking my promise to my father. For failing to protect her.

I could never stand to feel that way again. So the day that I fail to protect you… is the day that I *too* will die!

Music: Trip or Treat

...That's a lot of info to dump on someone out of nowhere...
Hey, I warned you I was gonna flashback!
Yeah... Yeah, I guess you did...

Yuri...
I, I love...

Music: ENDS. Zhuzhen runs up to Yuri in the middle of the conversation.

!?
<turns around and looks at Alice> Uh… urr… am I interrupting something here…?
No, not at all!
<looks at Yuri> Right!
Nope. We were just about to see an old man die...
<glares at Yuri>

Huh? What?!! So… what is it? What d’you find?
<turns back to Yuri> Oh, right. It’s this! Look!

Zhuzhen hands Yuri something.

What is it?
An ancient book called “Book of Rituals”. I found it in a hidden compartment on that grave.
It's weird they'd use a grave as a hiding place for a cursed book. They must really not have cared much for that guy...
It’s got all kinds of interesting stuff in it about old traditions! According to what it says here…

Yuri starts clenching his fist and getting visibly pissed.

Stupid! We were having a special moment! I’m about to…
What did I do? Are you mad at me?
<swipes> What makes you think I’m mad!
Not one bit mad. I'm just gonna go smash my frikkin' face into a wall for a while to show how not mad I am right now...
Err... you do you, kid...

Yuri is OUT!

Master, I’m going after him!
You just... stay here for a while... For your own good.
You young folks are strange...

Alice runs off after Yuri.

<shakes head> Sheesh! Just when I was going to tell them about this amazing secret…

Music: Callback from Jesus

What Zhuzhen found was a Valuable known as the Book of Rituals. That is CLEARLY not a picture of Mt. Olympus. The Japanese title of this book was Unspeakable Cults which is a reference to Unaussprechlichen Kulten a book from the Cthulhu Mythos that was lost in translation.

So it turns out our old bumbling nemesis from the first half of the game, Dehuai, was actually the one who murdered Yuri's mother and led to his awakening into Harmonixer which ultimately ended up being the sorcerer's end. One more stepping on a rake from beyond the grave from old Dehuai. It's almost impressive. Anyway, before we leave Nemeton Monastery for some time, we need to take one more trek into the basement.

Music: Sanctuary Ruins

It wouldn't be a Shadow Hearts dungeon if there wasn't a bonus item left in the boss room that was only accessible AFTER we beat the boss and were whisked out of the dungeon for plot reasons. The Nemeton Sanctuary Ruins are no different. Albert Simon dropped a little trinket after that whole mess.

It's the book Albert Simon used to look up the address of the space god he summoned. Guess he had no need for it anymore. The Japanese name of this one was R'lyeh Writings, R'lyeh being a sunken city mentioned in a whole mess of HP Lovecraft stories beginning with The Call of Cthulhu. Remember, Albert Simon has been quoting the Necronomicon when casting spells since way back in the Prologue. Dude is a huge Lovecraft fan. Hopefully, not the parts where it's super racist. Or freaked out about penguins...

So what did those two forbidden texts actually do? Absolutely nothing! Yet, at least... Tune in next time as we track down one of their companion pieces. A little thing called the Émigré Document...

Video: Yuri's Flashback
(You should watch this.)

Yuri Concept Art - Yuri was never quite sure how belts on his trench coat were supposed to work...

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I didn’t think about it at the time, but Dehuai was really anticlimactic for someone with such a personal history with the party. Yuri didn’t give the slightest drat about him despite the fact that he’s the reason he was left orphaned as a child. Nobody even seems to bother to remember he existed at this point.

That’s really sad, even for a guy whose introduction was disguising himself as a puppy.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Seven days for Astral Cthulhu God is different from seven days for earthlings. By the time that thing arrives, Albert will probably look just like Roger does now.

Either those Dehuai servants have a power of their own to separate our protags from the average person, or Anne is falling prey to the rule of how easily minor characters can have their necks broken for plot purposes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Geostomp posted:

I didn’t think about it at the time, but Dehuai was really anticlimactic for someone with such a personal history with the party. Yuri didn’t give the slightest drat about him despite the fact that he’s the reason he was left orphaned as a child. Nobody even seems to bother to remember he existed at this point.
I like it, personally, because it actively spits in the face of the typical JRPG villain's "I'm the navel of the world" attitude. They've got their fingers in everything, they know about everything, everything is about them, and the only thing standing between them and guaranteed world-domination is a plucky band of half-grown children.

The way the game goes out of its way to make a point that no, the world actually doesn't care all that much about him, and things would've probably gone down roughly the way they did even without our intervention, that's a nice response to that kind of thing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Shitenshi posted:

Seven days for Astral Cthulhu God is different from seven days for earthlings. By the time that thing arrives, Albert will probably look just like Roger does now.

Either those Dehuai servants have a power of their own to separate our protags from the average person, or Anne is falling prey to the rule of how easily minor characters can have their necks broken for plot purposes.

It is easy to forget, but we are facing supernatural horrors that pretty handily massacre most they come across. It’s not really fair to judge a woman who appears to be a housewife by the standards of our demon-slaying super-freak party members for whom four zombies is barely noticeable. I mean, look back at the intro and see how those scrub imps Albert summoned that couldn’t even annoy Yuri at level one shredded trained soldiers.

Cardiovorax posted:

I like it, personally, because it actively spits in the face of the typical JRPG villain's "I'm the navel of the world" attitude. They've got their fingers in everything, they know about everything, everything is about them, and the only thing standing between them and guaranteed world-domination is a plucky band of half-grown children.

The way the game goes out of its way to make a point that no, the world actually doesn't care all that much about him, and things would've probably gone down roughly the way they did even without our intervention, that's a nice response to that kind of thing.

Oh, yeah. It’s a change of pace that really speaks well of Yuri’s personality th show that despite being an idiot, he’s got enough self-control to not even blink when facing his parent’s indirect murderer and treat him like the chump he really is.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Funny thing is Yuri doesn't really put the full blame of what happened to his parents on Dehuai, but who he places a good chunk of the blame on won't come up until Covenant.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 6, 2018

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Geostomp posted:

It is easy to forget, but we are facing supernatural horrors that pretty handily massacre most they come across. It’s not really fair to judge a woman who appears to be a housewife by the standards of our demon-slaying super-freak party members for whom four zombies is barely noticeable. I mean, look back at the intro and see how those scrub imps Albert summoned that couldn’t even annoy Yuri at level one shredded trained soldiers.

There is so much I wanna say on this, but I won't because it will be more enjoyable MUCH MUCH Later to quote this at the exact point it will be most effective to quote this again in the future.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The picture of Yuri completely naked and covered in blood is a nice reminder of how hosed up that mess actually was.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's really a wonder that he grew up to be as well-adjusted and emotionally healthy as he is... and honestly, for a roaming hobo punchmans, he really is.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One can assume Koudelka was kind of looking out for him at least.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 6, 2018

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

It's really a wonder that he grew up to be as well-adjusted and emotionally healthy as he is... and honestly, for a roaming hobo punchmans, he really is.

He is... remarkably comfortable in society for someone who's been a wandering monster fighter and not much else for the majority of his life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I do like the reason that Yuri got headaches any time Koudelka popped into his head was because of all the demons just screaming in fear. There's probably multiple inaudible cries of "OH gently caress, gently caress, JESUS poo poo, SHE'S BACK! SHITSHITSHIT!" every time.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Gotta love some good straight-up Cthulhu Mythos tie-ins, however mangled by the localisation. Though not without precedent, what with a Gug stomping around in the last game.

Sadly, those stories (while fun) were kinda all the racist parts. Every single monster was some kind of allegory to Howie's abject terror of all things not pure lily-white Anglo. It runs so deep that it's kind of fascinating in a really wretched way.

So I'd say it's pretty hosed up about child Yuri's whole awakening from a supernatural berserk rampage covered in his mom's blood, but it's weird how jaded you get to childhood trauma after the many strange ventures weve had. Didn't pretty much exactly the same (and then some) go down for old Fei Fong Wong?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Mazed posted:

So I'd say it's pretty hosed up about child Yuri's whole awakening from a supernatural berserk rampage covered in his mom's blood, but it's weird how jaded you get to childhood trauma after the many strange ventures weve had. Didn't pretty much exactly the same (and then some) go down for old Fei Fong Wong?

Oh no, Fei had it waaaayworse.

-Tortured by his possessed mom in inhuman experiments
--Also during said experiments he watched people die around him in droves
-Basically ignored by his dad once the experimenting started
-Ended up forming a psychotic split personality as a result of all of this
-Accidentally killed his own mother (who was un-possessed) with a burst of energy

The most Yuri had to deal with was someone else killing his mom.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Mazed posted:

Pretty sure that was zombie neighbor blood. Still traumatic, but slightly less so.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Snark posted:

Oh no, Fei had it waaaayworse.

-Tortured by his possessed mom in inhuman experiments
--Also during said experiments he watched people die around him in droves
-Basically ignored by his dad once the experimenting started
-Ended up forming a psychotic split personality as a result of all of this
-Accidentally killed his own mother (who was un-possessed) with a burst of energy

The most Yuri had to deal with was someone else killing his mom.

Keep in mind, that’s just the trauma from his most recent childhood. He’s got numerous past lives full of even more scarring events. The first of which was basically being the only surviving human on an alien planet after a all others were slaughtered by a sapient weapon when he was about six.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

At the very least, Fei and Yuri are at the same group therapy.

Maybe with that one chocobo from FFX, and Two from DG3.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

He is... remarkably comfortable in society for someone who's been a wandering monster fighter and not much else for the majority of his life.
It speaks well of both him and the design team of this game, really. A worse developer would've done the Bioware thing and made him all "oh, woe is me" rather than "punch all the things."

Instead, we get a protagonist who is actually fun to watch. There's a lesson in that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Roadside Picnic seems closest to what's happened here, really. Alien trash that just got left behind. Albert Simon ascended to the atmosphere in an ancient flip-phone left to charge for far too long and something in space is really embarrassed about its youthful choices in ringtone.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXV: The Emigre Manuscript

We won't be returning to Nemeton Monastery until we've completed the bulk of the optional endgame proceedings. Calios Mental Hospital is strangely devoid of any additional content, so we'll never be going back there for any reason. But London...

London has some junk to do. We're going to be skipping Old Castle Street for a while since the side quest there is Sharon the orphan having established a full underground human vs. demon deathmatch arena while we've been gone and that poo poo is... actually kinda difficult. Today's session is instead going to take us back to Jack's Orphanage.

Music: Vitamin Metropolis

Hey remember the Émigré Document? The one that set off the events of Koudelka and its subsequent hundreds of human sacrifices and then again with Dr. Jack and the hundreds of sacrificed orphans? That thing is still kinda unaccounted for and frankly, I feel like we could do without a third mass slaughtering of the downtrodden by a rich old creeper white guy that cannot let poo poo go.

So there are actual orphans hanging out in the orphanage nowadays. No, we didn't miss a broom closet full of kidnapped children during our first visit -- all the kids under Jack's administration of the facility are extremely dead. No, it seems like they shipped in a resupply of orphans and the place is now under new, hopefully, less sacrifice inclined, management. Let's see what is going on with these youngsters.

Gonna go out on a limb and say she thinks you're unreliable. That's a really unfortunate name your parents gave you, after all. But I suppose we could ask her ourselves.

As I look closer, you're also nice looking. I'm exhausted from playing with a kid.
Nope nope nope! Abort!

I-It's hard for me to talk to people for the first time...
...Didn't I just talk to you out in the hall?

At least they've deleted all the flavor text about how this was a hell orphanage. Didn't clean up the place or make it an iota more inviting. But baby-steps...

Ronny's father was sucked into a jet turbine back when the lad was only three years old. It was a shock to everyone considering it was 1908 and there really shouldn't be jet engines just sitting around for bumbling mechanics to be sucked into...

We need to return to Jack's laboratory, which is still fully intact and almost certainly containing a few dead orphan organs soaking in formaldehyde, to attend to the side quest present in the orphanage.

The new caretaker of the orphanage is one of the unremarkable patrons of the bar near the London Rats' hideout. Well... I guess a drunk is a step-up from a mass murderer who wanted to bone his mother. For some reason I had it in my head Koudelka wandered over here and started running the orphanage. I guess I was wrong and Koudelka actually has absolutely zero left to do in the game. She got the demotion in roles after becoming a mother.

Anyway, the side quest of the orphanage involves Insolent Jean here and a game of hide-and-seek with the orphans we met. Sure, why not? I think this is like the third game this year I've played with a hide-and-seek quest with specifically orphans. I'm not sure why RPGs love doing that so much. Anyway, we'll take this little poo poo up on his offer.

We've got sixty seconds to find all four of the kids AND return to Insolent Jean. The time is constantly ticking down, even during load transitions which seems a little bullshit to me. The location of the children are randomized to an extent but... I mean, there are only five rooms in this area. It's not THAT difficult to check every room in time.

The screen quickly fades to black and the children shuffle to their hiding spots. Hey, there's one in this very room now and I'm not talking about Jean. Can YOU spot 'em?!

You're literally standing right in front of me, kid. Now I'm never gonna speak to you again because I don't wanna go to jail...

OK. That's one down. The next is... err... kiddo, you're not even trying up there, are ya?

You're standing right out in the open near a railing in a bright red dress... You kids are BAD at this...

Next up, there's a kid somewhere in this room on the second floor. Can you spot the palette swap of the only generic male child model they bothered to render for Europe?

C'mon, man... Like there's a perfectly decent bed RIGHT THERE you could hide under.
My parents are dead.
That's no excuse.

The final child is somewhere in this room and the only one I nearly missed. Can you spot the bugger?

You're standing between multiple beds you could be hiding under! This is just absurd!
When I grow up I wanna be a blitzball.
I dunno what that even means.

Remember, we've also got to run back in the allotted time. Insolent Jean has a psychic connection with the children and knows when they've been discovered, you see.

Hey, you're really good for a grown-up. All right then. I'll let you through, mister.
Is that why you I did this...?
Mister, I couldn't say why you barged into an orphanage late at night to play games with us. It's worrying behavior, really.
It does have me worried about the competence of our caretaker...
Ehh... just be glad you weren't here for the last guy.

We can now go to the back of the laboratory and check out the cauldron where Jack made his orphan slurry and undercooked mom stew. This time around we find...

...Are you mad!?
You're mad calling me mad.
<clenches fist> Little brat...
No, now. Don't get so exasperated over a mere child.
Do you even know what was in that thing?
Sacrificed orphan bio-mass.
Sacrificed orph—oh... err... yeah. You sure you wanna be screwing around in there, kiddo?
It's not the pot's fault it was used for that kinda thing. I love it just the same.
...O...kay...

Here, you can have this. I found it in this lab. It's gross, so you can have it.

Oh... well... There we go. That was... shockingly easy... Just play a game of hide-and-seek with some eight-year-olds to obtain the stolen forbidden text from the Vatican's archives that ruined hundreds of lives.

We've never actually seen the Emigre Manuscript/Document/Text in person. It was a big background detail in Koudelka and naturally Jack's whole Koudelka-lite orphanage business. A general reminder: this is not the original Emigre Manuscript. The original text was falling apart after getting shuffled around so many times over the centuries and Roger Bacon was tasked with transcribing the entire book, wherein he stole the secret for immortality (forgot the part about stopping aging though) and got on the Pope's shitlist. So Roger Bacon specifically decided the text needed to be preserved in a hardcover skull shaped format.

Anyway, we now are in possession of this evil rear end book. But we're not quite done with the orphanage. If we speak to Pot-Loving Macken again...

<becomes Lottery Member No. 03> Want to?
Yeah, yeah... Just spin the wheel...

So this lottery's gimmick is the Hit Areas are completely invisible. That's not very fair, now is it? But... This is a Judgment Wheel and an invisible wheel IS technically a Ring Abnormality. So if we slip an item that negates Ring Abnormalities, like the Pocket Watch or Crucifix, then...

This is suddenly one of the easier Lottery Wheels in the game. We already picked up a Crucifix, but it's one of the best accessories in the game and we optimally want one for all of our active party. So another one is more than welcome.

Only two Lottery Members remain and then we can meet the mysterious chairman of the Lottery Guild. We'll get to that in due time.

For now, our adventures in London are concluded. Indeed, we'll never need to return to the Orphanage. That location is 100% done. Before we wrap-up, let's return to the world map. Something might have changed...

Now that the party is in possession of the Codex of Lurie, the Book of Rituals and the Émigré Manuscript a new location has been unlocked -- Cave Temple. It seems to be vaguely near where Stonehenge is located though it has nothing to do with the stone circle.

Additionally, another bonus dungeon has been unlocked in err... I think that's around Laibach, Austria-Hungary which is current day Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia. Don't worry about any of that. Or those bonus dungeons right now, for that matter. Those are for another day. Tune in next time as we revisit the quaint hamlet of Rouen, France and discover what the hell ever became of Kato and Kawashima back in China. Remember those two who were fairly important characters and then dropped off the face of the earth in the second half of the game? Turns out they didn't get vaporized when Shanghai exploded despite also being in ground zero for Seraphic Radiance reenacting the opening of Akira. Stay tuned to find out more!

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 5, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Dark Id posted:

London has some junk to do. We're going to be skipping Old Castle Street for a while since the side quest there is Sharon the orphan having established a full underground human vs. demon deathmatch arena while we've been gone and that poo poo is... actually kinda difficult. Today's session is instead going to take us back to Jack's Orphanage.

That is quite the collection of orphans Dr. Jack managed to find.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

All of the current residents of the orphanage moved in after Jack left. I guess there's just no shortage of orphans in early 20th century London.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

London real estate really must be at a premium, if they forgot about the Evil Orphan Stew so quickly. They didn't even clean out the necromancy lab!

Pizuz
Sep 15, 2008

The Dark Id posted:

Additionally, another bonus dungeon has been unlocked in err... I think that's around Laibach, Austria-Hungry which is current day Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia.

Speaking of Laibach...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glu9wA4HjE0

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

A bookmark that smells like violets, as in the multiple orphans named Violet who got turned into abomination catalyst.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That's the first I've heard about cheesing the Judgment Ring QTEs in order to get your way. The more you know.

Also, we're sure whatever Albert summoned is at least a week's time away, right? Because between that kid being in the eldritch abomination pot, talking in a surprisingly adult tone, and casually having the Emigre Manuscript on hand, he seems bound to mutate into the Flying Spaghetti Monster at the drop of a hat, and you'd know the bestiary would have a really weird detailed description of it, if not be a joke superboss outright. If that thing joined up with Space Cthulhu? Then the world is just hosed mang.

The Dark Id posted:

Is that why you I did this...?

No, now. Don't get so exasperated over a mere child.

1. This should be a little clearer.

2. Should be "Now."

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Whew. Just finished catching up with this LP after reading the Koudelka one. I remember watching one of my friends play a bit of one of the Shadow Hearts games, but I can only say it's not this one, due to one of the party members wielding a locker as a weapon. That's all I remember, though; I didn't even know it was a sequel to Koudelka until I started reading that LP.

I wanna put it out there that Yuri's mother is a Russian woman named Anne that we know very little about, and the timeframe is the early 20th century. I'm going to be surprised if she doesn't turn out to be an exiled Anastasia Romanov or something. The exact timing is a bit off; the Bolshevik Revolution that deposes the Tsar is a few years in the future, IIRC, but we're already partying with Mata Hari using anachronistic guns, so anything's fair game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

Whew. Just finished catching up with this LP after reading the Koudelka one. I remember watching one of my friends play a bit of one of the Shadow Hearts games, but I can only say it's not this one, due to one of the party members wielding a locker as a weapon. That's all I remember, though; I didn't even know it was a sequel to Koudelka until I started reading that LP.

I wanna put it out there that Yuri's mother is a Russian woman named Anne that we know very little about, and the timeframe is the early 20th century. I'm going to be surprised if she doesn't turn out to be an exiled Anastasia Romanov or something. The exact timing is a bit off; the Bolshevik Revolution that deposes the Tsar is a few years in the future, IIRC, but we're already partying with Mata Hari using anachronistic guns, so anything's fair game.

That was Covenant.

And Anastasia does have a role to play in Covenant. The Revolution is a plot arc.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's a reasonable chance that Id might pick up Covenant once he's done with this one, so maybe it would be best not to go into more detail than that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe Yuri's mom is Queen Anne the giant anklegator from Bastion

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Cardiovorax posted:

There's a reasonable chance that Id might pick up Covenant once he's done with this one, so maybe it would be best not to go into more detail than that.

I think he might do the second game sometime after this. But...not sure if he'd pick up covenant. There's always a chance but...I'd say SH2 has a bigger chance since it continues Yuri's story after this

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kemix posted:

I think he might do the second game sometime after this. But...not sure if he'd pick up covenant. There's always a chance but...I'd say SH2 has a bigger chance since it continues Yuri's story after this

Covenant is the second game. From the New World is the third.

I purposely avoided saying any more than I did in regards to spoilers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kemix posted:

Shadow Hearts 2 is Covenant. It's just the subtitle of the game. I think you're thinking of From The New World.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
I wonder if drinking an Orphan Biomass Slurry can have the same supposed health benefits of drinking a Placenta Smoothie.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OminousEdge posted:

I wonder if drinking an Orphan Biomass Slurry can have the same supposed health benefits of drinking a Placenta Smoothie.
I think it depends upon the person.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

I think it depends upon the person.
I think it's a bit tasteless.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I think it's a bit tasteless.

You aren't seasoning it correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Illuyankas posted:

You aren't seasoning it correctly.
You saying I shouldn't be salty about it?