Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Our protagonist is dark elemental? My, how edgy.

The Dark Id posted:

upgraded to vague elements that exist in the pile of overly complicated mechanics but functionally had little purpose to full on Elements.

Upgraded from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Looking forward to the next update when we get a "The End" screen then Yuri climbs out of the rubble and says it isn't over until he says it is over while Alice looks at the camera and shrugs.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This running gag is already funnier than things falling on Bart's head at the end of every chapter of Xenogears.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I found the noises to be a great bit of comedy, myself, but I can imagine them having a different effect if you're playing alone with the lights off.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Shitenshi posted:

On another note, you'd think Li Li's curse is pretty mundane by comparison for such a tragic backstory, but then again, with a deep gruff man's voice, people might start thinking she's like Manah. It's always the ghosts and cursed people who have the voice of the Legion.

Yeah, I was basically thinking that they were kind of exaggerating with how terrible her curse was... Then I remembered Manah and it seemed a lot more reasonable.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So we have "prototypes" and "customs" of the spirits from the prologue and they're suspiciously much, much stronger than the real thing. Are we sure the monsters in this game are not tiny Gundams in disguise?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I appreciate that the blindfold with "Don't see, feel." makes the Judgment Ring invisible. That's pretty clever.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Who the hell is the "philosopher and teologian Somel"?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So does Alice never show up again, does Yuri stay a demon for the rest of the game, or did she just lie to us at the end?

edit: Don't actually answer this, it's rhetorical.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 12, 2018

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Just in case you ever doubted that most of the people referenced in item descriptions are made up, the "Ganbriel brothers" are a Gundam-rear end fake name.

...I wasn't the only one who was looking up the references until a few updates ago, right? :negative:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I have a 29 year old friend who still doesn't know the names of the months so, honestly, Yuri could be worse.

Also DD/MM/YY is the metric to MM/DD/YY's imperial.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Came in for child murder and was not disappointed, 10/10.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Jack having multiple personalities might be a reference to Norman Bates? Even if it is, it still feels really tacked on.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The thing I'm getting from these games is that the powers of darkness cause really bad posture.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Bacon trolling the player making them think he's going to join is great. The old man owns.

But Yuri, you don't know what France is, how do you know of aliens? UFO's aren't a thing yet, are you going to tell me you picked up the word from your dad reading H.G. Wells? I'm on to your game of pretending to be dumb, pal.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I used to read Keith's lines in the typical brooding vampire boy voice.

It turns out he was a total fruitbat all along.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

One of the nastier ways SMT gets you to use (or sell) your consumables is making it so you can only hold a certain number of them. Common healing items? Those go up to 99. The full party heals? You can only hold 2, so when you've already got there's no point to hanging on to them. Not a superbig fan of that mechanic, but you do need every bit of money you can get in those games so it works out okay in the end I guess.

It helps that often the items are worth using too, even the unique ones that you only get a handful of ever. When I first played p4 blind I ended up using a bunch of the radios that heal and buff your party to keep from gameovering around the midgame and it felt great to actually use the poo poo I would be pointlessly hoarding in any other game.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What's better than one pope chicken? FOUR pope chickens!

It's unironically a really cool take on a Seraph. Probably my favorite monster design in the game so far.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Have we had a boss that attacks sanity instead of HP? It seems like an obvious thing to have in a game like this but I don't remember seeing a boss dedicated to the strategy.

Probably the most interesting thing they've done in terms of bosses are the ones that futz with the Judgment Ring but you've got accessories to make yourself immune to that so welp.

Pesky Splinter posted:

鋼の魂 - Soul of Steel.

The metaphor still works, just a bit more antiquated.

Mecha won't exist for like 50 more years, goddamnit Ben stop breaking the timeline!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

A shame it plays for all of like three floors one floor rather than having a whole dungeon to itself. Also about the encounter rate cutting it out constantly.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I did not know that was the origin of the term scapegoat. That's darkly humorous. The more I learn about ancient religion the more I realize that people used to be big into sacrificing animals for whatever reason they could find.

the update posted:

Is Guild a Wind elemental...?

Typo.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Keith waving of his swords like they're magic wands is so goofy, that kid is precious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was half expecting this ending to bleed out cast members, or at least for Alice to die before the epilogue. But she held on bravely until the end, going out not with a bang but with a whimper. Oh and then the Great War happened, The End! Goddamn, what a bummer. :smith:

Thanks for showing off Koudelka 1 and 2! They've got flaws but they're both charming games and now I know why the Shadow Hearts series has the following it does.