Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

You got me. I thought for sure you'd not go any further than Koudelka. I'm super psyched, but sorry about all the chatting about the Shadow Hearts series in the last thread.

Same, I feel kinda bad about it. :sweatdrop:

Well anyway, like with Koudelka the more people exposed to Shadow Hearts the better. These are just some solid-rear end JRPGs and I especially adore the setting, the early 20th century in an alternate reality with magic and demons mixed with real historical people, events and places is just delicious. I mean it was already true for Koudelka but that game was entirely confined inside Nemeton monastery so they never really got the chance to go nuts with it in a way they do in Shadow Hearts.

As a side note, this game has some amazing music track titles which I'm sure will get shown off when we get to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Gotta love sassy and proactive JRPG protagonists, relatively rare as they might be.

Also Brain Hopper is a great combat theme and anyone who disagrees is bad and wrong. :colbert:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 21, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

On the opposite end once you have the timing down, you can kind of start destroying these games especially with certain accessories.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I'm one of those people who loves to read through item/enemy descriptions, and this game definitely delivers on that front. Glad you're showing them off.

Must've been a fair amount of effort to draw art for literally every item and piece of equipment too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I hope you'll show off the combat tracks which play when you run out of sanity points because they're really uh, something else. I think each combat theme has its own berserk variation.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Nope.

Just a localisation thing.

Diabolos' attack is "闇よりの使者 " (Messenger from/of the darkness).
Death Emperor's is "お迎え" (Greetings - I think?) which the only supernatural thing I found was that it was related to being able to see ghosts. Someone with better knowledge would be able to correct me :shrug:

お迎え is more like picking someone up (from the train station for example), receiving/welcoming someone, etc. But it also has a fancier meaning of "Final call", the approach of death (as in being picked up/received to the afterlife) probably originating from Buddhism.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

BioMe posted:

It's like, this guys loving soul palace is drat rundown graveyard, that's some ridiculous angsty edgy teenager's first serious OC crap

Which you can totally get away with as long as you don't make the character mope about it all the time

It's all about tone and context though, and neither is really angsty or edgy in this particular case.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The relaxing music really adds to the eerie atmosphere of the dark village of nonchalantly evil cannibal monsters.

A fitting starting town for this game, really.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

At least in 2 the pretty openly gay party member (which was a rarity at the time even in the west) is also the best one. SH doesn't always handle the subject matter well, but it definitely doesn't shy away from it and pretend it doesn't exist either.

Also I forgot that Zhuzhen had some moves.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

HR12345 posted:

Is there a chance any of the writers for this game went on to work on NIS? Cause the Disgaea and Neptunia series sure love saying "Boy we sure know we're in a JRPG!"

Those series were designed and written to be self-aware parodies from the start, of course they do that. Comparing them to Shadow Hearts is a real apples and oranges deal.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Nimsant posted:

Let me contribute some translation trivia.

Good write-up. Out of curiosity, do you have a Japanese script for the game and the descriptions somewhere?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Coffee With Bullet was definitely one of the ones I was thinking of when I mentioned this game having good music track names. It's also very good with relaxing town themes, especially later on.

StandardVC10 posted:

So we now have at least three villains, but they all kinda can't stand each other. I'll be happy if we get some kind of sorcerous Mexican standoff later.

I always enjoy these kinds of set-ups a lot more than just "heroes vs. bad guys" for sure.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Guess a Baccano! reference was only a matter of time with that opening...

The Dark Id posted:

New Music: Ghost Jogging
(Doubt we’ll hear this much, so listen to an anxiety attack now.)

If we wanna nitpick the track's called Ghosts Jogging which, again, is a great title. Also compared to some other berserk themes, this one's downright relaxing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Margarite's deep "Yeah, I could use some help here" followed immediately by a much higher "SORE" is pretty funny, I wonder why they never bothered dubbing all the combat lines and grunts.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

That ol' family recipe of making a fire-breathing bat by burning a rat and then mixing the burnt remains with feathers and drugs. Nobody made 'em quite like grandma.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Baldurk is also backing up almost all tindeck links in all previously archived LPs because the man's too good for this sinful forum.

baldurk posted:

I believe I got all the tindeck audio backed up from archived LPs this weekend. They're available on lpix with a substitution of https://tindeck.com/listen/<id here>https://lpix.org/tindeck/<id here>. So for example https://lpix.org/tindeck/gpqj.

About 100 files have been deleted from tindeck, not much I can do about that, but there's ~9500 that seem to have fetched fine.

I'm going to double check I've got everything now and then replace the links in archived LPs sometime soon. If anyone wants me to backup any tindeck links in LPs that are still live then please email admin@lparchive.org with the subject "Tindeck backup" and with a list of tindeck URLs you want me to fetch & store in the text of the email. I'll run the script on any I get and they'll be available the same way as above.

Note though I'm not going to mirror/regenerate the image link things. Archived LPs already have them fetched, but live LPs are on their own. I'll sort out some kind of substitute for future archiving of LPs with any tindeck links that didn't get fetched.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

<turns to Zhuzhen> Hmm? Where are the other kids?
You’re finally up, huh, kid? Margarete’s already left.
Now, this is the most important part. The villainous Dehuai…
<shakes head> Oh, shut up. You were dead asleep.

Having looked up the Japanese version, I feel like they just inserted the wrong line for Yuri there. In the original he complains about Margarete being too impatient, to which Zhuzhen retorts that Yuri meanwhile slept for ages while snoring loudly.

"Where are the other kids" is a bit weird too since Alice is still there though, originally he just asks where Margarete is.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 22, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The Japanese text there is normal from what I can tell, so it's probably just a slightly clunky way of saying that he couldn't overlook what was going on (because he heard of them being in cahoots with Dehuai.)

He's not quite as polite in the original though, he doesn't apologize and pretty much calls them worthless small fry.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Hope everything turns out alright. It does say something about your normal update pace that you'd apologize for having all of a single week between updates, and even that only due to highly extraordinary circumstances. Making the rest of us look like complete slackers as usual. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I think Kowloon is one of the more memorable sections in the entire game, though I did forget about the silly timing of it.

Also "sexy" is a bit of an awkward translation for suteki (which you might recognize from that FFX track "Suteki Da Ne" - "Isn't It Wonderful?"), though in the original she does the Japanese thing of slowly pronouncing each individual syllable of the word for a teasing/seductive effect and picturing someone doing that repeatedly in the situation she's in is especially comical.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Happy Creeper getting a stiff boner right before its head falls off and it dies is that good attention to detail.

On an unrelated note, I hope you're going to show off the berserk track of China Ogre while you can.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 30, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Yeah, at some point it's more or less an accessory which doubles your attack damage which is kind of busted.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

New Music: Meltdown
(This is the only time the LP will hear this, so have a listen!)

Thank you, it's a beautiful piece. Great alarm clock tune too, really helps you start each day brimming with energy.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 6, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Yuri is very good but the other party members dunking on him is also always a joy.

And this is of course a classic line:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Hate to break it to the kid, but Halley is one of the most forgettable JRPG party members I know. To the point that I actually didn't remember him being one at all despite it not even being that long since I played through this game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Yes, it appears to be… But the guy we’re after disappeared two years ago.

Don't MAKE UP STUFF to fill in the blank, sonny boy!

I checked out of curiosity, and in the original Japanese version Jack does indeed say that here:

The Dark Id posted:

<nods> Oh, yeah, I believe that was the name of the previous owner. I bought this mansion to start an orphanage, but I don’t know anything about the previous owner.

They just kind of... left that part out for some reason. Jack claiming he tried to kidnap the kid personally is likewise a mistranslation. It's no FFVII or Wild Arms 2 but it does seem like the translation was thrown together a bit hastily.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 21, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

My first real SMT moment was turning on auto-combat in SMT 1 just like I'd done a hundred times before, only to realize I was up against physical-reflecting enemies in a game where auto-combat persists until the end of a battle.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It's not really related to anything that happened, but I just wanted to make sure that everyone remembers that Roger's personal theme was called "Bacon's Juice".

Just thinkin' about that juice

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I have to admit, I barely remember anything about the final dungeon aside from Star Shape being a good track and like, a few specific lines from Yuri.

Shadow Hearts is a good game but memorable dungeon design sure isn't its forte.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

This show of mutual respect between Yuri and Albert feels a little sudden, but I always found their last exchanges kind of cool. RIP Simon, you were a pretty rotten guy but at least in some aspects you remained a gentleman to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

In the end, there are some things not even punching can solve. Well, not canonically in any case.

Great LP as always, we can only hope they make a sequel one day so that you can do that one too.