Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Speedball posted:

American developers should make a game where you can kick Andrew Jackson in the balls.
That'd be great. Jackson was possibly the biggest rear end in a top hat in American history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

why are you like this yuri?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

HR12345 posted:

Is there any chance Edward just went around teaching people how to punch things after Koudelka? Like he was Yuri’s teacher.

Possibly, but he mostly wrote books, baroned, and grew a moustache. And punched nazis.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

I honestly completely forgot Zhuzhen existed. Same with Meiyuan, though it was for the best in the latter case.

Likewise. I guess, given the rest of the game, 'Taoist Sorceror' and 'RapistAcupunturist' are pretty bland.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

RIP Cannibal Cat.

Died as she lived

Being punched by a hobo

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Knowing Shadow Hearts the lotion is made from the tears of orphans mixed with the blood of a priest killed on the first full moon of a leap year.

Also it's available in every shop, market stall, and anachronistic vending machine from here to Wales for like 20 bucks.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now that I think of it, the party must have the most intriguing terrible combination of accents in Chinese. It's a miracle anyone can understand them at all.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Heaven's Fiend is based on a clione, a kind of sea slug also known as a 'sea angel'. Japan loves them some cliones.

I mean, like...it's not explicitly stated anywhere? But c'mon, look at that thing.

That is frickin' adorable.

I mean, considering it's a sea-slug that eats nothing but sea-snails in the wine-dark depths of the sea.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Bayonetta sort of has the right idea going with a lot its angelic enemies. Just monstrous things that wear lots of marble-esque stuff to cover up their even worse features.

The weird part is, Bayonetta's cast of angels (Minus the Joys and stuff like the cars and gunships and whatnot) are largely taken from traditional angelology. The language of angels that shows up is an actual conlang made by the sorcerer John Dee. That's a really deep pull for a game all about a big tiddy witch shooting angels and showing off her butt.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Yuri is kind of a loser when he's feeling sick.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I got the impression from that conversation that they're just discussing what they've heard, and they don't necessarily really believe that Dehuai can do magic. I think it's not particularly well translated, though.

Yeah, someone who the local savages think is a sorcerer is dangerous enough. Someone who is actually a sorcerer, and by the way magic works, is vastly worse.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Those clogs are useless now, but I'd imagine they could be quite nice late-game.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Honestly I like Kawashima's and Kato's perspective being included in here. You have the entire party treating what they're doing as completely normal, so it's good to attach some regular person perspective to ground the narrative.

At this point I expect Kawashima to let them off at Shanghai, take their money, tip her hat and thank them for sailing the friendly seas, then turn right the gently caress around and go back to Fengtian. Let this disaster be someone else's problem.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

DeafNote posted:

Allthough now I wonder about how well Dehuai's planned this thing with Li Li. Seeing as how Li Li's first act was to deathcurse Alice, the one person 'Tiny' presumably needs alive.

Dehuai is both terrifyingly powerful and bad at his job.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

So far the only characters who seem to be good at what they do are Zhuzhen and Sea Mother. Everyone else is at least a little bit questionable.

Alice isn't questionable. Her job is passing out on the ground like a sack of potatoes, and she is an absolute champ at that. World-Class.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Ahh, pit fighting! A guarenteed group of wierd and interesting enemies, some nice prizes, and some intrigue from someone cheating at it. Refreshing.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

This is gonna be miserable.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I mean that's just something any cat would do.

Also, these guys are Imperial Japanese soldiers in China. They have about the same narrative moral weight as Nazis in a Indiana Jones movie.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Who thought this would be fun?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

This is maybe the worst temple in China. I'm glad it's being destroyed and I'm glad everyone who lived there is dead.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Kowloon?

...Kowloon?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

amigolupus posted:

So wait, why does Dehuai need to torture Alice by electrocuting her again? Doesn't he need her in tip top condition for the Demon’s Gate Invocation, much less not accidentally kill her? Dehuai, why are you so bad at this villain gig? :psyduck:

I think it's a character trait by this point. Dude is just bad at his job and is just stumbling into success.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

One of the great miracles of the world is that Kowloon Walled City didn't burn to the ground. The damned thing was a tinderbox full of homemade electrical patch-jobs stealing electricity from other home-made patch jobs. By all rights, it should have caught fire sometime in 1910 and still be on fire today.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Zagglezig posted:

Do you think Margarete is following any orders/making reports or is she just going along with magic monster stuff for a few more months and her superiors are cool not having to deal with her explosive-based plans?

She nuked Shanghai! Paying her expense account is a small price for her staying the gently caress away from home.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Also, weren't we talking a lot about that Valorization of the world poo poo? Does this have any connection to that whatsoever?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Yay! Vampire castle interludes are the best! The Cainhursts agree!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

I can't believe I missed how off Keith could be. He says so many stranger danger things, but with all the strange monsters popping up worldwide and loving Meiyuan leering around the castle gates, especially near a town where Kevin the creeper could be hiding under someone's bed, he doesn't pop up on anyone's radar. Then again, Leonard for all his faults was the one decent person in all of Drakengard. So maybe it is all just a misunderstanding.

Keith is the kinda guy who unironically says that whole 'Oh no, I do not drink... wine.' and then launches into his love of Belgian trappist ales.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Wait, Nina punches out anyone who tries to date her mother?

Like, knocks unconcious? This little squirt? :drat:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

I wasn't really expecting Alice to get punched.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Illuyankas posted:

Alice in Brains

:golfclap:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Or maybe the unnamed order of Elite Vatican Exorcists has special dispensation from the Pope to marry due to the dangerous nature of their job, much like how German Landscknects had special exemption to sumptuary laws.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

It occurs to me that the whole "hideous rituals to incarnate a dead loved one" is one of the nastier possible tricks you can play on people as a villain. It's pretty much by definition preying on people at some of their lowest moments.

BRB writing a novel about an ancient satanic ritual to pay off your student loans.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

NullBlack posted:

so this guy believes she might have powers from God, and still imprisons and tortures her? Not even trying for the pretense of "I thought I was doing the right thing"?

Knights Templar from paranoid fiction usually have completely irrational plans that, even if successful, wouldn't work. So I guess that's just genre emulation.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I appreciate this about them.

Yeah, Japanese videogames (understandably) don't talk about Imperial Japan much. I think the closest I've seen anywhere else is the Shin Megami Tensei Raidou Kuzunoha games, which are set in alternate universe 1930's Japan where the whole Imperial Japan Tries To Conquer The World thing never happened and Japan is quirky and idyllic. It kind of comes off as 'look how nice we could have been if we didn't gently caress everything up!', in a gentle sort of way. But Shadow Hearts' more direct approach is appreciated.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A haunted wine cellar's not a big deal; Vintners and connoisseurs are well-versed in wines and spirits.

BOOOO. BOOO I SAY. BOO THIS MORTAL. BOOO! *throws ectoplasm*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Yuri is the best protagonist.