Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

W.T. Fits posted:

Would that be letting Yuri's sanity drop to 0?
Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

So, uh, do they ever actually touch on the whole 'Alice's father is a Catholic exorcist-priest' thing? There are a couple ways he could have a daughter if I recall, like if he was a Church of England priest who was already married before he converted to Catholicism, but the celibacy thing is a bit of a barrier normally.

I wouldn't think it was so weird (you know, anime Catholicism with its space inquisitors and ninja priests and wizard) if it hadn't been for the fact that James explicitly entered the Church because he was so bereaved over letting Patrick marry Elaine in the previous game.
They're pretty vague about it. If I remember right Alice's mother is never mentioned so Father Elliot could have adopted Alice.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

AweStriker posted:

I wonder if "Bifronze" is supposed to be known Goetic demon Bifrons. Probably is.
Probably, considering the Ars Goetia has a prominent role in Covenant.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Geostomp posted:

Given their designes (Lion, Tiki, Fish, Bird) and the fact that they glow the respective colors the game uses for the basic four elements, I think it’s pretty obvious which is which already.
The Gold Mask is a bull, not a lion.

On second thought, I think its supposed to be both.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 13, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I didn't think of until now, but I think the music for London and the London Rats hideout was switched on accident or something, because if you swap those themes around they fit their areas a lot better.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Brainamp posted:

I miss koudelka's voice work.
The series never regains the quality of Koudelka's voice acting, but Covenant's dub is a big improvement over this one.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 27, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The roach enemies are in every single game, they get their name changed to Gregor in 2 and 3 as a Kafka reference.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's never really elaborated but I think these guys went rouge and aren't really sanctioned by the Vatican, i.e. Alice didn't even know about them and she works for The Church. The backstory of the series isn't kind to the Catholic Church but by the time the events of Koudelka and Shadows Hearts roll around The Vatican is a lot more benign.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 5, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

Does Alice actually work for the church or just have holy magic? I know her father did, obviously.
It's stated that she's an exorcist so yeah, I think so.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tallgeese posted:

She used to work with her father, but is currently freelance with Zhuzhen if I recall.
Yeah, she's been freelancing since she got back from China.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It must have been neat for the few people that played Koudelka first that this game was actually a stealth sequel the whole time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Jack still had some kid souls laying around the mansion and Joshua didn't want them to go to waste.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I brought it up back in the Koudelka LP but its interesting how after finally reading the Koudelka sequel manga some time ago I can see how Shadow Hearts 1 takes ideas from it, namely Albert. You see the main villain of the Koudelka manga, DeGaulle, is also a top hat wearing rogue apprentice of Roger that convinced Patrick to use the Emigre Manuscript to resurrect Elaine, though his motivation is much more of the "I just want to see the world burn" variety then any pretense of trying to make a better world. The Koudelka manga had the British Royal Medical Society pulling the strings of the events of Koudelka, which DeGaulle was a part of. It's also funny that the end of the Koudelka manga has a historical person pop up who would also appear in Covenant.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 16, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I mean it is actually pretty lovely of Roger not to try and bust Albert out of Pope Jail, because he was very capable of doing so.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

amigolupus posted:

To be fair, what can Bacon even do to bust Albert out of Pope Jail? He looks like a shriveled-up corpse and doesn't look like he knows how to even fight. I doubt he could have stormed Pope Jail all on his lonesome.
The Shadow Hearts Trilogy has Roger be a crazy skilled inventor that makes stuff centuries ahead of their time like we've already seen with his house, breaking somebody out of a medieval prison would be child's play for the dude.

Also what Cardiovorax said.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Glazius posted:

Albert Simon took his dang time. Or is there some cosmic confluence at work here?
Covenant gives a reason why he acts now, but yeah needing to find people like Koudelka or Alice first as well.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 18, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

Could you give a rough estimate of how much of the game is left? This area feels kinda endgame-ish, but you make it sound like there's a good bit to see yet.
Id's almost right at endgame but the Shadow Hearts Trilogy loves throwing a slew of sidequests at you once you gain access to the final dungeon. Said sidequests in the series are usually actual dungeons and not lovely mini-games like FF 10 so they're worth doing.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 27, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pesky Splinter posted:

But yeah, the actual sidequest dungeons tend to be pretty neat, without having to dodge 200 lightning bolts, or win 20 games of underwater trash-soccer, or whatever; just nice, simple dungeons with a gimmick, or mood.
They also tend to flesh out your party members some more too, seeing is that every character has their own sidequest to unlock their best stuff.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pesky Splinter posted:

And the third game translation is okay - the story and dialogue stuff is fine, but they really dropped the ball on whoever was translating the monster names; they either didn't know, or didn't give a gently caress about what any of the names are referencing, and just romanised them however.
Jeb Niglas.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Anime Reference posted:

:sigh: Just another omnicidal nihilist in a JRPG.
The Shadow Hearts games broke the JRPG mold in a bunch of ways, but the main villains just being ominicidal nihilists was unfortunately not one of them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ultrafilter posted:

How many games don't have that? I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.
Just JRPGs or games in general? I'm general I can name a bunch but JRPGs are definitely harder. Nier is a big one because the antagonists are actually trying to achieve the exact opposite.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Geostomp posted:

Did they ever explain why she got so much more powerful over the years when she wasn’t exactly in action for the period? Or why she won’t help finish the job now?
She was always really strong, she just got a better handle on her powers. The Koudelka manga explored that in its own way too.

And yeah, it does kind of suck that they pretty much removed her caustic streak entirely because she and Yuri could have really bounced off of each other well as two people that just laugh in the face of cosmic horrors.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Funny thing is Yuri doesn't really put the full blame of what happened to his parents on Dehuai, but who he places a good chunk of the blame on won't come up until Covenant.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 6, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One can assume Koudelka was kind of looking out for him at least.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 6, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

StandardVC10 posted:

Shadow Hearts' version of the Imperial Japanese Army is somehow even more dysfunctional than its real-life counterpart. I'm impressed.
Shadows Hearts 1 and 2 both really wanted to express that Imperial Japan was awful. Hell, Imperial Japan is essentially the (Covenant spoilers) real main villain of Covenant.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 11, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Req.Martyr posted:

Id probably will, even if it's not until after he does the rest of the series and a pseudo sequel gets announced
Don't even joke about this. :smith:

It sucks even more because nothing has come close to filling that void that the series left.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dragonatrix posted:

It's significantly less likely because it's actively impossible. The rights to Shadow Hearts as a series is stuck in a kind of legal purgatory and has been for years now.
It's not really stuck in legal purgatory, its still owned by the original publisher, its just that all they make is pachinko machines now so the series rights are just rotting away. It's not like say No One Lives Forever where the rights are scattered across three major companies.

It'd be a miracle if we even got non-HD re-releases of the games, let alone remasters or a new game.

"Fun" fact: The last official Shadow Hearts related release was a pachinko machine.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 16, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, Inafune was kind of a dick about people leveling some well-deserved criticism about Mighty No. 9. I hope IGA doesn't go the same route with Bloodstained, but it seems so far his team is listening to the comments from the demo and beta plays.
Bloodstained is actually a good game so far of what I've played. Not to mention Curse of the Moon being great.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Precambrian posted:

I think that's part of his charm. Everyone in the party but Margarete's a little bit supernatural (whether psychic, an oracle, or Harmonixer), but Keith's a straight-up Dracula, and yet, he's also the most unassuming and normal of the party. He's basically a tourist, tagging along with the party to see the world rather than any dramatic plot reason, so he politely stays out of the fracas and, I assume, snaps photos of the dungeons for a scrapbook he'll be making when he gets home.
He's also an outlier in his own family because he's the normal one.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ultrafilter posted:

I suspect that either the Dollhouse or one of the other sidequest dungeons was meant to be used in part of the story and just got cut for time. That would make the pacing on fusions work a lot better.
Also not to forget that Amon is really easy to miss in this game. I played this game after beating Covenant and I missed getting Amon, I just used Chernabog for the endgame.

I missed a bunch of these sidequests when I played, I was much more through with Covenant.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 2, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
From the New World is actually a good game though and not horrible.

The writing is weaker, there is a bit more stock JRPG elements, and Johnny utterly pales in comparison to Koudelka and Yuri but its still very much a Shadow Hearts game, it just went harder into the alt-history zaniness instead of the cosmic horror.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BioMe posted:

Doesn't help the new shapeshifter character and Yuri's replacement is probably the most boring heroine I've seen in a JRPG.

And the bar is low.
What really sucks is that she's the only female Native American video game protagonist I can think of, even if she's from a fictitious tribe.

*Edit* Wait, there is the little Inuit girl from Never Alone, but that's pretty much it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 6, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

thankfully Convenant's end game quests aren't nearly as awful, thought a few can be tedious to complete.
Yeah, there's much more variety and it helps especially that most of the end game quests tie into the party members a lot more.

I guess the only really things I really missed out on was Kowloon and the Dollhouse.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 9, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The pit fights in Covenant and FTNW are hell of a lot more fleshed out and interesting than this. The rewards are a lot better too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Materant posted:

Amon of course eclipses every level 3 fusion, but Amon is not something every player will find. The level 3 fusions are versatile enough to be taken to endgame.
Yeah, the only sidequest I did when I first beat the game was Magarete's and I just used Chernabog and was totally fine in endgame.

In Covenant there is even a Level 3 Fusion that is actually better than Amon too.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 14, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I actually managed to do this without a guide my first time through and I must have been real lucky on RNG because I don't remember having to actually work for it.

What's even funnier is that I got the good ending of this game without really trying after I had beaten Covenant and got the good ending.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That Welsh sea air just murders your complexion but it does wonders for the constitution.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pesky Splinter posted:

His former apprentice, Not-Albert Simon, De Gaulle is also immortal, which Koudelka solves by making a giant goat god punch him in literal pulp.
Said giant goat was one of the Formorans, so if you wanted to see what the creators of the Emigre Manuscript looked like there you go.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ultrafilter posted:

A normal game would've come up with music just for that one fight, or at least reused a major boss theme. But Shadow Hearts is no normal game....
Covenant and FTNW have more unique boss themes for specific fights. I kind of really didn't stop and think about but this LP made me realize that SH1 was probably rushed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ultrafilter posted:

What are we missing? I don't remember anything else.
Beating the pit fights with every character.